PDA

View Full Version : If you could have one, what would you pick?

Tiny1102
05-10-11, 6:35 pm
1. 1000 squat.
2. 1000 bench.
3. 1000 pull.

Which one would you pick and why?

Sprint
05-10-11, 6:43 pm
Struggling to choose between the pull & squat. Leaning slightly towards the pull. I think.

Tiny1102
05-10-11, 6:51 pm
Why?

Struggling to choose between the pull & squat. Leaning slightly towards the pull. I think.

prowrestler
05-10-11, 6:53 pm
raw or geared

Sprint
05-10-11, 6:54 pm
There's something about heaving that sort of weight straight off the deck. Not least the strength in the body in general, but also the grip strength as well.

Then the squat, well just standing with that weight on your back & not getting folded in half, let alone going A2G & coming up again.

That's why I'd plump for 1 of those 2, rather than the bench, & also why I can't quite choose 1 or the other.

mritter3
05-10-11, 7:06 pm
i would choose pull.....nothing against the other 2 exercises...but there is something so masculine and raw about being able to pick up that kind of weight off the ground, dont know how else to explain it...im a deadlift junkie i guess.

Tiny1102
05-10-11, 7:16 pm
Gear. Have to be somewhat possible

raw or geared

Tiny1102
05-10-11, 7:17 pm
The Deadlift does take it all out of you.

i would choose pull.....nothing against the other 2 exercises...but there is something so masculine and raw about being able to pick up that kind of weight off the ground, dont know how else to explain it...im a deadlift junkie i guess.

prowrestler
05-10-11, 7:23 pm
Gear. Have to be somewhat possible

then deadlift. if raw, bench

Brick By Brick
05-10-11, 8:06 pm
Pull. It suits me best.

J-Dawg
05-10-11, 8:47 pm
I'd have to say deadlift b/c that's always been my strength. Have to pick what I'm most strong at.

Tiny1102
05-10-11, 11:40 pm
It does not matter what you are best at. Just which one would you want most.

B.S.
05-10-11, 11:44 pm
bench for sure, just always been my favorite exercise and would give me the biggest jump in my pl total.

BigChrisF
05-11-11, 12:02 am
That's a tough question. I think I would like the 1000 lb pull provided that my hands hold up better than they do now. Why? Because the other too are too much of a fuss. I frequently train by myself or with one person whom I don't think could adequately hand off that much. When I was benching yesterday I had to had to gather up 3 kids because no one had to confidence to spot me with 407. I was in a cage with catch bars.

Tiny1102
05-11-11, 1:16 am
Man, do I know what you mean

That's a tough question. I think I would like the 1000 lb pull provided that my hands hold up better than they do now. Why? Because the other too are too much of a fuss. I frequently train by myself or with one person whom I don't think could adequately hand off that much. When I was benching yesterday I had to had to gather up 3 kids because no one had to confidence to spot me with 407. I was in a cage with catch bars.

Big Wides
05-11-11, 5:53 am
For me I would have to go with the 1000 squat. Granted the deadlift gives you a rush to me and this is my humble opinion, the squat is a real technical lift and with 1000 pounds on your back everything has to be firing on all cyclinders. There is a lot of technique as well in the deadlift but to me the squat is where it is at. Not only is it the first lift in a meet, which makes it a tone setter but lets be honest.....how many people can really squat correctly with 135 on the bar?

So my vote goes for the squat.....

Tiny1102
05-11-11, 7:19 am
Good answer. Good form should be used in every lift.

For me I would have to go with the 1000 squat. Granted the deadlift gives you a rush to me and this is my humble opinion, the squat is a real technical lift and with 1000 pounds on your back everything has to be firing on all cyclinders. There is a lot of technique as well in the deadlift but to me the squat is where it is at. Not only is it the first lift in a meet, which makes it a tone setter but lets be honest.....how many people can really squat correctly with 135 on the bar?

So my vote goes for the squat.....

Hollow
05-11-11, 7:38 am
Reading the various answers there are good reasons for choosing either Deads or Squats but the more I think of it, I’d go for a 1,000 lb Bench. Laying on a bench and having the strength/techniques to not only lower the weight but then to press it without being crushed that seems quite impressive to me. Just my two cents.

GUNS
05-11-11, 7:49 am
Being able to lift 1000 would be an accomplishment for any lift. But I would want to be able to pull it more. Just so impressive to see guys pulling some seriously dead weight off the floor. Hell half that is an accomplishment in my book. But between the squat and the dead, I would really like both being it is my week area since back surgery.

freighttraindane
05-11-11, 7:52 am
I would go for the 1000lbs Bench, it happens to be one of my weaker lifts, I am making great progress and working towards my first competition, but I have always had a strong lower body, so for me to accomplish something like that taking my weaker lift from the worst to my best lift would be an amazing accomplishment.

Tiny1102
05-11-11, 10:40 am
Yea, for the bench.

Reading the various answers there are good reasons for choosing either Deads or Squats but the more I think of it, I’d go for a 1,000 lb Bench. Laying on a bench and having the strength/techniques to not only lower the weight but then to press it without being crushed that seems quite impressive to me. Just my two cents.

P Diesel
05-11-11, 11:29 am
there is sumthin about havin all that weight on ur back, feelin the bar flex and bend, goin down ass to the floor knowin ur comin back up w it...its a great feelin.

buuut as great as that feels..there is nuthin like pullin big weight. i am slightly biased becuase i love deads. but affinity for deadlifts aside. i personally think out of the three lifts that deadlift epitomizes overall strength.

1000 lb pull it is!

zubda345
05-11-11, 12:10 pm
I would have a 1000 pull because I like to pull I have deadlifts and squats, And I also like to bench as much as I like to pull...

Cellardweller
05-11-11, 1:29 pm
As much as I love to bench, I'd have to say I'd go with the pull. It's impressive as hell and the muscle groups are pretty much involved in everything else you do. A strong back is essential in the gym, pushing a car, helping your bro carry a sleeper sofa up some stairs or MMA fighting.

Tiny1102
05-11-11, 4:15 pm
Trust me. It flexes in your hands

there is sumthin about havin all that weight on ur back, feelin the bar flex and bend, goin down ass to the floor knowin ur comin back up w it...its a great feelin.

buuut as great as that feels..there is nuthin like pullin big weight. i am slightly biased becuase i love deads. but affinity for deadlifts aside. i personally think out of the three lifts that deadlift epitomizes overall strength.

1000 lb pull it is!

Phil800101
05-11-11, 5:59 pm
I'd go for the squat. Raw.

First of all, for what Wides said.

To add onto that, I love benching and pulling, but I feel the most beastly when I bust out a big squat. I say raw because that's how I lift, and few people have busted out a grand with just wraps and a belt. Nothing against geared lifting (so sick of that endless pointless bullshit gear vs raw debate...), I've just never done it.

I think a raw 1000 pound bench would be the most impressive, but I honestly don't think it's possible. I don't know though, I could be wrong.

BarbellManiac
05-11-11, 6:26 pm
Deadlift all the way, if I could deadlift 1000 pounds, I will have enormous forearms.

Deathride
05-12-11, 7:46 am
Definitely the pull. For me, it is the most manly lift (and the one which has been least influenced by gear.....although has had been said, handling 1000lb in ANY way is mucho impressive) and just the feeling of standing there holding a massive weight in your hands does it for me.

Here's to aiming for the 1000lb club (in my dreams eh? :-D)

Tiny1102
05-16-11, 2:08 am
When I first benched 700 I said there was no way I will ever bench 800. Then someone else told me I could not. Then it was on.

Definitely the pull. For me, it is the most manly lift (and the one which has been least influenced by gear.....although has had been said, handling 1000lb in ANY way is mucho impressive) and just the feeling of standing there holding a massive weight in your hands does it for me.

Here's to aiming for the 1000lb club (in my dreams eh? :-D)

Bruiser
05-16-11, 10:16 am
Being able to lift 1000 would be an accomplishment for any lift. But I would want to be able to pull it more. Just so impressive to see guys pulling some seriously dead weight off the floor. Hell half that is an accomplishment in my book. But between the squat and the dead, I would really like both being it is my week area since back surgery.

I agree with you GUNS. With three herniated disks, I can't deadlift at all, and can only do DB squats. So being able to do either at all, let alone 1,000 lbs would be heaven.

ionicrod
05-16-11, 1:11 pm
I love deadlifting and I hate benching. Squating is somewhere in the middle.

I would choose pulling though. Its just my favorite exercise. I have always said they should just have deadlift meets, like they have bench meets.

Tiny1102
05-16-11, 6:53 pm
I have a bad back, but I can pull, but I can't squat anymore.

I agree with you GUNS. With three herniated disks, I can't deadlift at all, and can only do DB squats. So being able to do either at all, let alone 1,000 lbs would be heaven.

Machine
05-16-11, 8:23 pm
They are all impressive lifts...but I have to say the 1000 pound bench is mind blowing to me. All of that transitional pressure...just watching the lockout on some of those benches...its like I'm waiting for the elbow to explode...

amazing!

MACHINE

NJC_Manhattan
05-16-11, 9:00 pm
Though all would be great. I'd have to go with the squat. Just seeing the ass in the grass moment before exploding up would make my year. The squat, in my opinion, is the true measure of strength as it requires full body harmony to execute correctly. With more weight, the lift becomes exponentially more impressive. And, as the great Ronnie Colman once said, 'if the bar ain't bendin, you're pretendin'

Tiny1102
05-16-11, 11:57 pm
I pray that never happens.

They are all impressive lifts...but I have to say the 1000 pound bench is mind blowing to me. All of that transitional pressure...just watching the lockout on some of those benches...its like I'm waiting for the elbow to explode...

amazing!

MACHINE

Seath308
05-17-11, 12:03 am
Raw --1000 pound Squat (In 308 Wt. Class ) My Goal lol

Geared -- 1000 Pound Deadlift Or Bench Can't make up my mind. Not squat though So many people have squatted 1000 pounds with those 4-6 Plies of gear on.

Tiny1102
05-17-11, 6:53 pm
That is a very nice goal. Wish you the best.

Raw --1000 pound Squat (In 308 Wt. Class ) My Goal lol

Geared -- 1000 Pound Deadlift Or Bench Can't make up my mind. Not squat though So many people have squatted 1000 pounds with those 4-6 Plies of gear on.

flappysr
05-20-11, 4:38 pm
1. 1000 squat.
2. 1000 bench.
3. 1000 pull.

Which one would you pick and why?

The one and only 1000 pound DeadLift Rules. Just grip it and rip it. No suit really helps that much with this mighty lift. Just you and the weight alone nobody else is there on the platform. The meet truly doesn't start till the bar hits the floor... Conventional Dead Lift that is ....

Tiny1102
05-20-11, 9:51 pm
For some reason, I thought you would say the deadlift.

I
The one and only 1000 pound DeadLift Rules. Just grip it and rip it. No suit really helps that much with this mighty lift. Just you and the weight alone nobody else is there on the platform. The meet truly doesn't start till the bar hits the floor... Conventional Dead Lift that is ....

toothpicklegs
05-22-11, 7:01 am
I'd say squat... I can only imagine how hard I could tackle somebody on the football field if I was that strong.

If choosing outside the alternatives it would be the hang-clean for the same reason as the above.

Big Al
05-22-11, 9:21 pm
Deadlift...cuz I love it!!
Plus dont everyone bench 1000lbs now???LOL Kidding Tiny. You the man.

Tiny1102
05-22-11, 10:32 pm
That is funny Al. I think you are correct. I meet someone new everyday. And they tell me they knew someone in high that was as big and strong as me. lol

Deadlift...cuz I love it!!
Plus dont everyone bench 1000lbs now???LOL Kidding Tiny. You the man.