PDA

View Full Version : How long before they allow the slingshot in a contest?

Tiny1102
05-10-11, 6:43 pm
This one should start a big mess. Should it ever be allowed? Or just for training

Tiny1102
05-11-11, 7:20 am
What? Not one person has anything to say about this one

freighttraindane
05-11-11, 7:45 am
This one should start a big mess. Should it ever be allowed? Or just for training

I have only used the slingshot once, being an expert how much different do you feel it is than using a bench shirt? Personally I feel it will remain a tool to be only used in training but like i said i am just guessing

Aggression
05-11-11, 8:26 am
They'd have to create a whole new category, wouldn't they? Right now, there's RAW and GEARED. If you're in the GEAR division, it'd be smarter to just use an actual shirt, as it would provide more of a benefit (more weight). It'd have to be 'RAW', 'GEARED', and then 'SLINGSHOT'. I would like to see it kept as a training tool. Just as 3-board would be used as a training tool, so should the slingshot, but never in competition. Just my .02.

Tiny1102
05-11-11, 10:38 am
There are so many categorys and different feds. Personally, I never want to see it in a contest, but I would not be surprised if someone did. Could you imagine someone using one and they could not touch.

They'd have to create a whole new category, wouldn't they? Right now, there's RAW and GEARED. If you're in the GEAR division, it'd be smarter to just use an actual shirt, as it would provide more of a benefit (more weight). It'd have to be 'RAW', 'GEARED', and then 'SLINGSHOT'. I would like to see it kept as a training tool. Just as 3-board would be used as a training tool, so should the slingshot, but never in competition. Just my .02.

BigChrisF
05-11-11, 9:52 pm
There are so many categorys and different feds. Personally, I never want to see it in a contest, but I would not be surprised if someone did. Could you imagine someone using one and they could not touch.

lol at the not touching. Benching with a single ply phenom is kinda like using a slingshot. So....find a fed that doesn't really care if you have something over your elbows and you might have a shot at it?

prowrestler
05-12-11, 1:42 am
hope to god it never does...it just looks bad if they wanna make powerlifting grow as a sport in my opinion. general public will see it and think its cheating. it will just draw heat for no reason.

zubda345
05-12-11, 3:37 am

aammm A little heads up here. what's a sling shot? is it just push up the weight by momentum???

Hollow
05-12-11, 7:14 am
aammm A little heads up here. what's a sling shot? is it just push up the weight by momentum???

Zubda345 here is a video of Aggression using the Sling Shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxjYosu8Svw

zubda345
05-12-11, 7:52 am
Zubda345 here is a video of Aggression using the Sling Shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxjYosu8Svw

Was that rubber thing the sling shot?? wow that can help alot... And what was the name of the track in the video??

Hollow
05-12-11, 8:00 am
Was that rubber thing the sling shot?? wow that can help alot... And what was the name of the track in the video??

Yes that "rubber thing" is the Sling Shot.

Aggression
05-12-11, 9:01 am

Yes, it was the SlingShot. I've never worn a bench shirt before, but I'd imagine the SlingShot is a step lower than a bench shirt.

The track is listed on the YouTube page; Creed - Bullets

zubda345
05-12-11, 10:41 am
Yes, it was the SlingShot. I've never worn a bench shirt before, but I'd imagine the SlingShot is a step lower than a bench shirt.

The track is listed on the YouTube page; Creed - Bullets

Thankx for the track...

And I want to know how was it with the slingshot? What difference u felt? Was it easy to lift with Slingshot as compared to raw lift? what kind of difference? Tell me all about it

Aggression
05-12-11, 10:46 am
And I want to know how was it with the slingshot? What difference u felt? Was it easy to lift with Slingshot as compared to raw lift? what kind of difference? Tell me all about it

Of course it was easier to lift with the SlingShot. It helps involve more of your triceps into the press, helping them gain strength for a better raw press. As I mentioned, I would say its a step lower than a bench shirt in terms of support and the ability to add more weight. It does exactly as it says; it slingshots the weight back up. My best RAW press was 315. My best SLINGSHOT press was 365. It added 50lbs to my 1RM.

I've always benched like a BB'er, until recently. For me, it felt as if the SlingShot helped me better develop more of a 'powerlifter' style of bench, keeping the elbows close and keeping everything tight, and pushing more with the triceps.

rev8ball
05-12-11, 10:51 am

I'm thinking that we'll probably end up seeing some fed allowing a shirt AND a sling shot in a comp. Throw in elbow raps and god knows what else we can invent to strap on to a lifter, and we're gonna have guys who look like fucking astronauts being lowered on to benches with a crane because they won't be able to lay down on their own.....

Okay, sorry.... I will get off my soap box now.....

Nix0r
05-12-11, 10:56 am
Let's just say they allow the Slingshot in comp for bench. What equivalent pseudo-gear would then need to be allowed for the squat and deadlift? Only use briefs? Come up with some other kind of near-gear that gives some form of rebound, but doesn't quite add 200+lbs to your total?

zubda345
05-12-11, 11:00 am
Of course it was easier to lift with the SlingShot. It helps involve more of your triceps into the press, helping them gain strength for a better raw press. As I mentioned, I would say its a step lower than a bench shirt in terms of support and the ability to add more weight. It does exactly as it says; it slingshots the weight back up. My best RAW press was 315. My best SLINGSHOT press was 365. It added 50lbs to my 1RM.

I've always benched like a BB'er, until recently. For me, it felt as if the SlingShot helped me better develop more of a 'powerlifter' style of bench, keeping the elbows close and keeping everything tight, and pushing more with the triceps.

Man, that is good... I would search for it here in some sports shops, If I am lucky enough I'll find it somewhere. Definitely wanna use it...

zubda345
05-12-11, 11:01 am
And something on benching like a BodyBuilder, I just want to know while benching like u do. Do u bring the bar in contact with ur chest? I don't I keep it 1-2.5 inches above my chest or I feel all the weight on my shoulders... Is this ok??

BigChrisF
05-12-11, 7:46 pm
Let's just say they allow the Slingshot in comp for bench. What equivalent pseudo-gear would then need to be allowed for the squat and deadlift? Only use briefs? Come up with some other kind of near-gear that gives some form of rebound, but doesn't quite add 200+lbs to your total?

Most feds that allow briefs will allow a person to wear only briefs under the singlet when squatting or deadlifting.

And there is no benching like a powerlifter or bodybuilder. There is only benching like you love your shoulders or hate your shoulders.

Deathride
05-14-11, 2:51 pm
And something on benching like a BodyBuilder, I just want to know while benching like u do. Do u bring the bar in contact with ur chest? I don't I keep it 1-2.5 inches above my chest or I feel all the weight on my shoulders... Is this ok??

No! :-D Set up with an arched back and your traps buried into the bench. As you lower the bar, tuck your elbows and aim for the base of your pecs / sternum. Touching will not be an issue, neither will shoulder pain. As said, you either love your shoulders or hate them....

My two pence worth (UK)....powerlifting needs to simplify, not diversify if it is to become a popular sport. Olympic lifting is more recognised because there are two events...and a total of the two events. There is no raw, gear, single gear, multigear.... Whilst I know gear is an essential part of powerlifting, it should be easy to see who is competing in what discipline (raw, single or whatever gear!) Adding MORE categories would not be progress....that's why there'll never be a two board bench competition!

LegendKillerJosh
05-15-11, 7:40 pm
I'm thinking that we'll probably end up seeing some fed allowing a shirt AND a sling shot in a comp. Throw in elbow raps and god knows what else we can invent to strap on to a lifter, and we're gonna have guys who look like fucking astronauts being lowered on to benches with a crane because they won't be able to lay down on their own.....

This is fucking hilarious. I could just picture some dude loaded up with so much gear and wraps and added equipment and shit he needs people to pick him up and lay him on the bench and hand him the 1800 pounds lol

Tiny1102
05-16-11, 2:00 am
There is always going to be one.

Tiny1102
05-16-11, 2:01 am
That would have to be one bad sling shot

This is fucking hilarious. I could just picture some dude loaded up with so much gear and wraps and added equipment and shit he needs people to pick him up and lay him on the bench and hand him the 1800 pounds lol