PDA

View Full Version : What about pvc?

Tiny1102
05-11-11, 10:46 am
How much weight can pvc handle compared to bamboo? If close, it could save alot of money.

BigChrisF
05-11-11, 9:46 pm
Unfortunately, not all pvc pipe is created equal. There is a wide variety of formulations for different use. I don't think 2" schedule 40 (one of the more common available) would not handle much weight at barbell length. Maybe 50 lbs per side? Schedule 80 would hold up better (harder to find and much more expensive).

Another idea to pursue in the pvc realm would be to get a 2-3" diameter 6-8' pipe and caps and fill it with water and something like pea gravel to roll around and move with the water. Still wouldn't be terribly heavy, but it would move around a lot.

I like to do stability bench by rubber banding dumbells to the bar so that they hang down. They bounce and swing around as I bench/squat/deadlift. I like to go with 50 lb dumbells with light bands, 25-30's with monster mini's and 15-20's with mini's.

prowrestler
05-12-11, 1:39 am
like chris said, bands plus dumbbells work pretty good. even weight plates. double the bands up threw a plate then attach on the bar.

greatkeen
05-12-11, 1:40 am
if u are asking abt PVC pipes .... i would say look for Polyethylene (PE) pipe also, they are superior to PVC in all aspects including strength & endurance... i am no expert though!

BigChrisF
05-12-11, 7:54 pm
PE pipe is superior and you will pay for it. For the price, you probably would be back to bamboo.