PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 For Powerlifting is Out!

T o m m Y
05-17-11, 4:44 pm
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=145966&tid=

smoothballer
05-17-11, 5:07 pm
Saw that. Very curious to see the difference between it and the original 5/3/1.

NickSP
05-17-11, 7:19 pm
Very interested. I've wondered about something like this.

I'm a newbie to strength, and when I made the decision to start I was reading a lot of good about 531 and bought the book. So it's the first and only real program I've done. Ran it for a couple cycles some time ago but all my training kinda got messed up. I'm back on it now and in my second cycle. I've seen a lot of experienced guys telling others to hold off on something like westside cause they're not ready, so I've been wondering if I should just stick to it for a while or look into a program that puts heavy weight in your hands more often then 531 does. So this is perfect timing for me. As a beginner I guess I'll run the original for a few more cycles to see how I like it over an extended period of time, then look into the new book. I think it's great there's a section for non-competitors too, cause I am trying to focus on maximal strength but I don't know if I plan on competing.

prowrestler
05-18-11, 1:29 am
nick, if you have made the effort to start 531, do 531. a program only works when you are doing it. routine jumping will kill you. 531 is an investment type of program. you get stronger off submaximal weights. if people got stronger lifting maxes...wed all just compete every week. that is the difference between testing and training.

the program is good. i myself dont care for it, and i see 90% of people fucking it up...but when done right, it gives pretty good, steady gains.

Deathride
05-18-11, 6:37 am
I was (and still am!) a beginning strength athlete and ran 12 consecutive cycles of 5/3/1....yes, a year of 5/3/1 and my strength, size and badass-ness has rocketed (I also grew a sweet moustache too....so I'm putting it down to 5/3/1 also!) Put on 20-30lb, bench from 200 to 250, deadlift past 410 etc. You won't get a good feeling off 2-3 cycles....stick with it and reap the benefits.

I've since changed to using heavier weights regularly (working to a 5RM, 3RM and 1-2RM followed by a dynamic speed deload week and using some Westside principles...forgive me pro for fucking with the program) but will always be open to the idea of changin back if I felt that i was getting burnt out from the heavy lifting constantly - establish a GOOD 1RM, recalculate and then plough back in for another 6-12 cycles.

As for this new 5/3/1, I will more than likely buy it out of gratitude to the Wendler and Elitefts for being awesome....and also because knowledge is power and power is strength.

NickSP
05-18-11, 4:50 pm
Oh definitely, like I said I am gonna stick with it for a while, but I will also get the new book for sure at some point.

Big D
05-18-11, 5:06 pm
5/3/1 for powerlifting is pretty much the same as the normal 5/3/1.
some minor differences but overall its the same program. exxcept if youre in gear then it changes up a bit.. but defintly worth the buy.

NickSP
05-18-11, 5:31 pm
Still worth it if you're not interested in gear?

Deathride
05-18-11, 7:33 pm
For 20 dollars, its a good read if nothing else. And it contains interesting stuff about peaking for lifts and suchlike! And Wendler's HIGHLY motivational attitude to everything in life!

strivin for more
05-18-11, 8:07 pm
i have to say, i was let down with it. i mean i guess i couldnt expect a whole new set up or routine, but it really is essentially the same thing.

smoothballer
05-19-11, 8:40 am
i have to say, i was let down with it. i mean i guess i couldnt expect a whole new set up or routine, but it really is essentially the same thing.

It's still 5/3/1 so I'm not why you would expect a whole new routine. It is 5/3/1 but tweaked for different powerlifting times such as offseason for mass, offseason for strength, offseason for conditioning, pre-meet, meet time, and geared. I found it a very good read and look forward to incorporating things into my routine.