PDA

View Full Version : What motivated you

Tiny1102
05-18-11, 11:01 am
To become a powerlifter or bodybuilder. Do you remember your first show?

Brick By Brick
05-18-11, 12:04 pm
PL/strongwoman. I had an uncle, Richard Woods, who was a powerlifter. Went to a PL contest at the Western Idaho Fairgrounds with the family when I was 12. I never forgot being amongst those guys, it was just about the coolest thing I had ever witnessed. I wanted to be part of it.
When I was an adult, at age 35, I started lifting heavy, doing Westside for Intermediate Lifters, to get in better shape/stronger for work at the county jail. I found out the women did strongman training/contests, I got in with a local crew in Boise, and the rest is history. I tried the figure training/diet in my late 20's, and while I learned a lot, it wasn't for me. I just like picking up heavy things and putting them down. And I can't walk in high heels.

Tiny1102
05-18-11, 12:25 pm
That is a cool story

PL/strongwoman. I had an uncle, Richard Woods, who was a powerlifter. Went to a PL contest at the Western Idaho Fairgrounds with the family when I was 12. I never forgot being amongst those guys, it was just about the coolest thing I had ever witnessed. I wanted to be part of it.
When I was an adult, at age 35, I started lifting heavy, doing Westside for Intermediate Lifters, to get in better shape/stronger for work at the county jail. I found out the women did strongman training/contests, I got in with a local crew in Boise, and the rest is history. I tried the figure training/diet in my late 20's, and while I learned a lot, it wasn't for me. I just like picking up heavy things and putting them down. And I can't walk in high heels.

rev8ball
05-18-11, 12:32 pm
To become a powerlifter or bodybuilder. Do you remember your first show?

In the early 80s, my brother was a bodybuilder. Went to shows with him, and got to be with him when he trained at Eiferman's (yeah, they let little kids hang out there - no such thing as a "liability issues" back then). As I got older, I liked the idea of weight training, but didn't like how subjective bodybuilding comps were. So, I went into powerlifting. Only problem was that 20+ years ago, there were no internet or books; only one magazine, and I visually raped that thing every chance I could, trying to get every little nugget of info out of it so I could learn. Finally, went to school, got my undergraduate degrees, and got into strength & conditioning. After that, started my Masters, and got even more into the research end. The rest, as they say, is history.....

My first comp? I don't want to remember. Got my ass severely beat and handed to me........

zubda345
05-18-11, 2:52 pm
I still remember I used to watch wrestling and those bodies of huge wrestlers, I wanted to look just like them, it was when I was below 10 of age, I used to go to a park with my cousin and my big bro who is 1.5 yo then me, my cousin is almost 15 or something years elder then me he used to workout and compete in state level, My cousin would hang both of us bros to trees and say us to pull up, I was the one who loved Shawn Michaels and my bro liked Bret The Hitman Heart. I still remember the words of my cousin he would say, "Now Z u wanna be like Shawn U gonna show what ur made of give me one more rep!" My bro would always give up and start crying lol, And I always tried my best do to that.

While growing up Wrestling and some times my cousin were the only things that won't let me forget that I have to get that body, And when I was 16 with 30%+ BF I went to the gym only to get my BF down, but One day I saw the Poster of animal "Shut the f... up and train"Machine's legs were the only thing I could think of day and night... Then when for the 1st time I got under the bar of Bench press I picked it up and it was like something just ran in my body and I just all of a sudden wanted to be a bodybuilder in my life.

And It's no Fuckin mind made story It's my own TRUE story's bottom lines of what happed and how I got involved.

Tiny1102
05-19-11, 9:10 am
I still remember I used to watch wrestling and those bodies of huge wrestlers, I wanted to look just like them, it was when I was below 10 of age, I used to go to a park with my cousin and my big bro who is 1.5 yo then me, my cousin is almost 15 or something years elder then me he used to workout and compete in state level, My cousin would hang both of us bros to trees and say us to pull up, I was the one who loved Shawn Michaels and my bro liked Bret The Hitman Heart. I still remember the words of my cousin he would say, "Now Z u wanna be like Shawn U gonna show what ur made of give me one more rep!" My bro would always give up and start crying lol, And I always tried my best do to that.

While growing up Wrestling and some times my cousin were the only things that won't let me forget that I have to get that body, And when I was 16 with 30%+ BF I went to the gym only to get my BF down, but One day I saw the Poster of animal "Shut the f... up and train"Machine's legs were the only thing I could think of day and night... Then when for the 1st time I got under the bar of Bench press I picked it up and it was like something just ran in my body and I just all of a sudden wanted to be a bodybuilder in my life.

And It's no Fuckin mind made story It's my own TRUE story's bottom lines of what happed and how I got involved.

So, do you wrestle?

wedge
05-19-11, 12:09 pm
Strongman in training here. Would watch the WSM on ESPN whenever it was one. A few years ago the local YMCA in the town where I work began holding local strongman shows, more for fun than anything. I had been busting my ass in the gym and decided to give it a try. Fell in with the promoter and a few others and our crew has been training and doing the local YMCA show for the last several years. This year we all decided to step up and do some "real" shows. I competed in my first silver level show this past Sunday, Proven Performance Strongman 1. I've competed in the lightweight division.

zubda345
05-19-11, 12:19 pm
So, do you wrestle?

No, I want to, sooo bad, but the country I m in has no wrestling schools. A very little scope of sports. I wish I was in US. I still also have a dream to be a wrestler.

And I don't have money to go to some other country, It's so difficult.

Tiny1102
05-19-11, 3:12 pm
Never stop dreaming or working for your goal.

No, I want to, sooo bad, but the country I m in has no wrestling schools. A very little scope of sports. I wish I was in US. I still also have a dream to be a wrestler.

And I don't have money to go to some other country, It's so difficult.

NJC_Manhattan
05-19-11, 3:31 pm
Not a strongman or a pro bodybuilder.

Basically, this is one of the few things in life where you have control over almost everything. Most times in life when you think you're in control, 9 out of 10 times you'll be wrong. In this your only limitation is yourself. Its fantastic. My first real glimpse of this was seeing a kid who couldn't have weighed more than 180 deadlift 405. I used to be 240, and had trouble with 315. So I kicked it up a bit. Now I'm 190, hopefully 175-180 in the next couple months, and can dead 365 for reps and can max 405. Not trying to talk myself up as there are some no joke strongmen on here, but I think I do ok for a guy that works an 80hr+ week

zubda345
05-19-11, 4:08 pm
Never stop dreaming or working for your goal.

I won't ever stop.