PDA

View Full Version : I am asked almost every time in a interview

Tiny1102
05-18-11, 7:08 pm
Why is powerlifting not in the Olympics? What do you think? And don't even try to say drugs. There are plenty of drugfree powerlifters. And like there is not drugs in other sports. That is why we test. Give me some feedback.

The Iron Gumby
05-18-11, 7:16 pm
Why are you asked?

Ask them if you look like the freekin Olympic committee.

My guess it's not flashy enough to catch the general interest of most viewers.

strivin for more
05-18-11, 8:08 pm
Why is powerlifting not in the Olympics? What do you think? And don't even try to say drugs. There are plenty of drugfree powerlifters. And like there is not drugs in other sports. That is why we test. Give me some feedback.

too fractioned. too many different rules, regulations, squat depth, inconsistent judges, etc.

BigChrisF
05-19-11, 12:24 am
Stated in one word: politics. Some people with pull in the weightlifting community have an elitist attitude about their sport and don't want powerlifting to detract/compete with weightlifting.

The fractured state of the sport today doesn't really matter. If the IOC wanted powerlifting, they would simply adopt a set of rules and standards to qualify for the Olympic games and that would be how it is.

IronWilson
05-19-11, 8:07 am
It might be that in many people's minds, powerlifting is the same as olympic lifting. To the common person, they see a barbell and weights and so it's just weight lifting to them.

But hey, if curling can be an olympic sport, anything can be.

Tiny1102
05-19-11, 9:02 am
My opinion. The reason powerlifting is not in the Olympics is, because it is more of a American Sport. The more is grows and the more other countries get involved, then the more likey we will see it in. I just pray I can be part of it, if it ever happens.

Onslaught
05-19-11, 4:20 pm
Olympic weightlifting has its international committee, a global ruling on what is used, credentials, regulations, etc.

In powerlifting you have IPA, IPF, APA, APF, et cetera. Each varies on squat depth, shirt/suit regulations and a whole host of other differences.

On top of this, the lifters themselves are divided among the federations (from what I've experienced at meets anyway, some people only prefer to lift in IPA, others prefer APF; everyone has their preferences).

There's also a division between raw and geared - is it unlimited gear or raw only? If it were in the Olympic Games, would it be raw only or unlimited gear? Would they run multiple events? How would the medals work? Would it be a gold/silver/bronze for raw and then gold/silver/bronze for limited and then yet again gold/silver/bronze for unlimited?

What are the qualifiers? A record in the IPA? Or APF? Who would get to be a sanctioned federation?

Unless there was a global consensus on rulings and regulations, it'd be really difficult logistically to fit it into the Olympics.

Tiny1102
05-19-11, 4:29 pm
Just too many excuses...gear, no gear, does not matter. Just let us in.

dannynb
05-19-11, 6:23 pm
Too much BS on why its not part of the Olympics....i would love to see it happen though.

Tiny1102
05-19-11, 9:30 pm
Really, take a good look at swimming(gear and drugs), track and field(drugs), and cycling(drugs). BS is everywhere. Come on, the X games are in the Olympics. Can't lie, I like the X-Games.

Too much BS on why its not part of the Olympics....i would love to see it happen though.