PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Techniques

Carrnage
05-19-11, 4:56 pm
Well ive got a bad left shoulder.....so heavy presses are out of the question, i cant even use moderate weight without any pain.

Guys got any methods or techniques you guys employ in your shoulder training?

Carrnage
05-19-11, 4:58 pm
weeks over weeks of 400+ military presses and 170lb dumbbells really took a beating out of me....

yikes

Nix0r
05-19-11, 5:13 pm
This is something I've been starting to incorporate on my bench days.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_shocker

Carrnage
05-19-11, 5:23 pm
This is something I've been starting to incorporate on my bench days.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_shocker

Thanks brother, i was thinking of doing something like that, it makes sense too, ive taken my military presses up to 400+ and my shoulders have absolutely no width, nor much muscle mass. Im gonna start treating my shoulders like a small bodypart instead of big bodypart.

Its official!!! Heavy Shoulder Presses are garbage!!!!

Bruiser
05-19-11, 5:29 pm
Try some giant sets. Take a look at my Journey "Back From Hell" for some routines. You can go pretty light, and still get a great workout and huge pump. I never go very heavy and am getting pretty decent results (at least that's what everyone tells me, I still think they suck!! lol)

Carrnage
05-19-11, 5:41 pm
Try some giant sets. Take a look at my Journey "Back From Hell" for some routines. You can go pretty light, and still get a great workout and huge pump. I never go very heavy and am getting pretty decent results (at least that's what everyone tells me, I still think they suck!! lol)

Will do!

Its frustrating feeling a injury during training....cortisol shoots through the roof and you get so stressed!

SuperFlexSteve
05-19-11, 6:42 pm
For me, volume makes my shoulders grow not heavy weight. If you were pushing 400+ on presses and didn't gain any size I would have switched things up a lot sooner(would of saved you injury as well). Try light weight and higher reps and see what your delts say about that. High volume lateral raises probably do the best for pumping my delts full of blood and get that good burning feeling.

prowrestler
05-19-11, 9:14 pm
the defranco shoulder circuit posted above is good

Carrnage
05-19-11, 9:54 pm
For me, volume makes my shoulders grow not heavy weight. If you were pushing 400+ on presses and didn't gain any size I would have switched things up a lot sooner(would of saved you injury as well). Try light weight and higher reps and see what your delts say about that. High volume lateral raises probably do the best for pumping my delts full of blood and get that good burning feeling.

100 percent right! Obviously im not weakest dude around, so i have a "ego", impressing people with heavy military presses always makes me feel like the shit, but on shoulder days, those days are OVER!

Thanks for the words brother!

I think after training chest or back, im going to do a bunch of high rep laterals, and start doing a bunch of pump training.

Carrnage
05-19-11, 9:55 pm
I use to do 80-120lb dumbbell laterals too...lol.

Now when if i go over 30lbs, my left shoulder starts crying.

SuperFlexSteve
05-19-11, 10:02 pm
Have you had your shoulder looked at? If the pain is that bad bro, you might wanna look at taking some time off and let that shit heal up. I know everyone that loves this shit hates to hear those two words but some injuries shouldn't be just tolerated.

Carrnage
05-19-11, 10:19 pm
Have you had your shoulder looked at? If the pain is that bad bro, you might wanna look at taking some time off and let that shit heal up. I know everyone that loves this shit hates to hear those two words but some injuries shouldn't be just tolerated.

Havent got it lookin at, and yes i have taken many month long to 2 month breaks a few times already.

Carrnage
05-19-11, 10:25 pm
It only effects me when doing super heavy military presses and upright rows,laterals.....ill just stick to a bunch of high rep supersets with laterals, i didnt get much mass out of the super heavy weights anyways, i guess its God's way of telling me to start training like a bodybuilder. I always say that, then end up goingto the gym and loading up the bar with a riduculous amount of weight and bang it out like nothing, ego i tell ya!

Carrnage
05-22-11, 5:30 pm
Fixed my elbow positions, used a partial range of motion on all my lifts, and for once my delts were fucking pumped, no injuries, i feel like a new person.

Did the 170 pound dumbbells for 15 today, no spot while getting the weight in the starting position either, cheoowww!

mm_tris
05-23-11, 10:38 am
a few suggestions... i love shoulder training at intensity, so am always looking for ways to shock them.

1) i used danny padilla's 5x12 method last week on side laterals. as u probably know, keeping the same weight but only take 30sec rest. not using heavy poundages should give your shoulders some relief i should hope.
2) focusing on rear delts. everyone seems to skip them but i think they really give your arms a fuller look from the side, filling the gap between the delt and tricep. i normally warm-up with machine rear delts and will throw in 3-4 sets of bent-over laterals mid-workout and push them to failure with dropsets

just some thoughts cheers mate
ps. 170 dumbells are massive, keep it up.

Carrnage
05-23-11, 6:02 pm
a few suggestions... i love shoulder training at intensity, so am always looking for ways to shock them.

1) i used danny padilla's 5x12 method last week on side laterals. as u probably know, keeping the same weight but only take 30sec rest. not using heavy poundages should give your shoulders some relief i should hope.
2) focusing on rear delts. everyone seems to skip them but i think they really give your arms a fuller look from the side, filling the gap between the delt and tricep. i normally warm-up with machine rear delts and will throw in 3-4 sets of bent-over laterals mid-workout and push them to failure with dropsets

just some thoughts cheers mate
ps. 170 dumbells are massive, keep it up.

thanks for the input bro!

but ive always done things like danny's 5x12 methods to all my muscles....and its not his method, thats called "high volume training", high sets, low rest time, i always do that, for example today i did 10 sets for 8-20 reps with 30 sec rest periods for leg extensions today.....ouch!!! Great GH , testosterone release from that style of training!!! yes sirr