PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a good training partner or training team?

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 12:39 am
Lately, I feel very blessed that I have put together a really good team. I had some issues with competing out of state, but now we are all on the same page. I now have about 6 guys at the gym on each training day. Now we take turns on who is going to compete and who is not. That way we can all take care of each other when we compete. You can't be the best without the proper support. I promise you that.

GUNS
05-25-11, 3:39 am
Nope it is just me! I would love to have a team to train with or a partner. Being in the military, we just can't stay on the same schedule as others, can't seem to find a partner that is a dedicated, obsessed maybe. I have had partners in the past that were, but we got seperated due to orders elsewhere.

You should feel extremely lucky to have what you have. I would love to have it.

zubda345
05-25-11, 5:05 am
I train alone, I walk alone. no one to help no one to listen no one to train with no one to spend time with.

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 9:09 am
Man, I hate to read this. I could not imagine not having a training partner. Back in the days, if my partner did not show I would not train. I really depend on them and I think they feel the same for me.

Nope it is just me! I would love to have a team to train with or a partner. Being in the military, we just can't stay on the same schedule as others, can't seem to find a partner that is a dedicated, obsessed maybe. I have had partners in the past that were, but we got seperated due to orders elsewhere.

You should feel extremely lucky to have what you have. I would love to have it.

GUNS
05-25-11, 9:34 am
Tiny, it does suck at times! Good things are, you you have a spotter, someone to challenge you, someone to coach you/or you coach them. Not having one, you don't miss your workout if they don't show up, you can work at your pace, your routine.

I used to get completely pissed if my partner didn't show up but I would have a good workout still. It gets lonely at times, but it has been good to me!

Imjorman
05-25-11, 11:39 am
I don't have a training partner because no one I know has the same goals I do. The best thing I look forward to are ABC's because I get to train with like minded people.

machineman
05-25-11, 11:44 am
I have a couple of guys that I train bench with. Which is good because they are much stronger than I am and it challenges me week in and week out. On dead lift and squat I train alone. Gee....wonder why??!! I don't mind it as I can get a spot on squats. Most of the time I prefer to lift alone as I can work at my pace and not have someone yacking in my ear....

Cellardweller
05-25-11, 11:56 am
Alone. Wish I had a partner sometimes, but mostly I like to just be in my zone as I punish myself. A partner is good for when you're attempting some heavy shit or when you just need a kick in the ass. Otherwise I'm all good.

C.Coronato
05-25-11, 1:21 pm
I have been training with my sisters husband for a few years now, we have both progressed like crazy. Recently a good friend of mine, Nick Lepore, who is training for the NPC Nationals, became a training partner as well, so that has upped the intensity a bit too.

MR.TeachFreak
05-25-11, 1:42 pm
I train alone and have done so since high school. Just never found that person. I almost had a training partner when I was student teaching and met a strong new gym in my gym but I was moving the next week so it didn't work out. But I always look when I go to a new gym and spot the guys that know what they are doing so I can get a proper spot if needed.

Sinister_TES
05-25-11, 3:40 pm
Everytime I become partners with someone they either dont show up, dont train hard and really jsut slow my progress. I even desgn programs around having a apartner sometimes. So it pisses me off when theey cant hold up their end of the deal. Thats why i prefer to train alone. Only benefit is having a spotter,even then they can fuck that up

zubda345
05-25-11, 4:12 pm
I don't have a training partner because no one I know has the same goals I do..

Same here bro. It feels so sad for some ppl who don't have an open mind for workout. Nor their goals.

ghost
05-25-11, 4:13 pm
i train by myself in my basement.... the last few training partners ive had have all flaked out on me.

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 6:53 pm
You would be surprised, but you can find those who may want the same goals. I had to find my team. They did not come to me.

I don't have a training partner because no one I know has the same goals I do. The best thing I look forward to are ABC's because I get to train with like minded people.

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 6:55 pm
Over the years, yes they have come and gone, but don't let that ever stop you from making your goals.

i train by myself in my basement.... the last few training partners ive had have all flaked out on me.

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 6:58 pm
Some of my best partners didn't even lift close to what I lift. You just want to make sure you give back as much as you get. If not more. You have to motivate your partners and team and they will do the same for you. Once they reach goals or lifts they never did before, then they will be on the same page as you.

Tiny1102
05-25-11, 7:02 pm
As long as they are there to spot me, then all is good. I don't care if they don't want to lift as much as I do. Just need them to be there and you need to be there for them.

Everytime I become partners with someone they either dont show up, dont train hard and really jsut slow my progress. I even desgn programs around having a apartner sometimes. So it pisses me off when theey cant hold up their end of the deal. Thats why i prefer to train alone. Only benefit is having a spotter,even then they can fuck that up

richvanv
05-26-11, 4:55 pm
I have an awesome group to train with, we have had alot come and go, but the other two guys I train with are dependable and very motivating. They push me to become the strongest I can be at that time, and they also keep me accountable of my goals. I am thankful every workout for how lucky I am to be able to train with the caliber of people I have around me in the gym.

Gorilla.
05-26-11, 5:58 pm
i have a few lifting partners about 5, but i mean they spot me but they dont really give me the feeling of a true training partner... because i try to tell them things i learn on here and how to do some things and they spit it in my face for no reason when they think they know all the shit there is about lifting, i dont but i try to help with what i do kno......

i tried to tell my friend one day to not isolate so much because he was doing db curls, preacher curls, bb curls, hammer curls pretty much every bicep lift idk why but w/e he freaked out on me and now mocks me every day "ya dont isolate jake"... what a dick!

Appollonian
05-26-11, 6:09 pm
In college I had some buddies, but none of them live close to me now.

My oldest brother was the best training partner I had: my height, but at his peak was 25 lb heavier and much leaner than me. He still has the knowledge and is much stronger than I am, but has just dropped some size since his high school football days.

My wife is my training partner now, and in many ways as good as my brother as far as helping and pushing me. This one time, when I was benching, she was about to provide the spot at the right exact moment, some tool tried to jump in and help. It took everything I had not to scream at the guy, but my wife stepped in at the exact right time. When I fail, I don't fail 100% of the weight, only 5-10%, so my spotters don't need to lift 200+lb, just be sensible and not do all the work.

She hasn't been able to provide a spot in the last few months, but sometime next year she'll be good to go!

All that said, if I could find a person or crew to train with, I'd be all about some positive synergy between like minded people.

ghost
05-26-11, 9:05 pm
Over the years, yes they have come and gone, but don't let that ever stop you from making your goals.

whats hard is trying to break a plateau when you cant stay Tight when having to unrack your own weights and have no spotter.

Tiny1102
05-27-11, 12:53 am
You just have to find them.They don't have to have the look to be the right fit. They just have to be there when you need them. And they just may need some coaching to. Once they start making some gains you will have them hooked.

whats hard is trying to break a plateau when you cant stay Tight when having to unrack your own weights and have no spotter.

Spastic_Koala
05-27-11, 9:25 am
I train by myself. My gym is full of enough helpful people where if I need a spot for a heavy lift I can find someone. In general, though, I move too quickly between my sets that I don't have time to wait for someone to complete their own workout.

Also, what bugs me, is seeing groups of 3 or more guys "training" together, when all they are doing is standing around and watching each other lift. No support or spotting or anything. Just taking turns on some machine. Which ends up giving each of them like 5 minutes of rest between sets because they're waiting for their turn. Meanwhile they're just chatting it up with each other. Usually they're fatasses either giving advice or bitching about how hard it's been for them to get in shape.

Appollonian
05-27-11, 9:39 am
I train by myself. My gym is full of enough helpful people where if I need a spot for a heavy lift I can find someone. In general, though, I move too quickly between my sets that I don't have time to wait for someone to complete their own workout.

Also, what bugs me, is seeing groups of 3 or more guys "training" together, when all they are doing is standing around and watching each other lift. No support or spotting or anything. Just taking turns on some machine. Which ends up giving each of them like 5 minutes of rest between sets because they're waiting for their turn. Meanwhile they're just chatting it up with each other. Usually they're fatasses either giving advice or bitching about how hard it's been for them to get in shape.

I hate groups standing around, talking and what not, but when you get 2, 3, or 4 people training together, balls o the walls, no breaks between sets, pushing eachother; it's an awesome time.

conjugalburns
05-27-11, 9:52 am
I've been looking, and I am determined to find a training partner/s. I know how to motivate myself, and push myself in the gym, but I feel the only way I'm every going to bring up my chest is with a partner

Appollonian
05-27-11, 10:15 am
I've been looking, and I am determined to find a training partner/s. I know how to motivate myself, and push myself in the gym, but I feel the only way I'm every going to bring up my chest is with a partner

I agree a partner would help, and it's no fun having to worry about a weight almost crushing you, I wouldn't let it hold you back. Does your gym have a power rack? You could use it to help you with the portion of your lifts just out of the bottom, and use some other techniques to help with the initial push. Or you could try some other intensity techniques until you find that person to train with.

Brick By Brick
05-27-11, 10:17 am
I train with the Colorado Heavy Haulers strongman group, and it has been an incredible experience. I am used to training by myself, but training events with other motivated, strong people is a blessing.

rev8ball
05-27-11, 11:44 am
I had a great training partner back when I was still competing (around the time the wheel was invented), but after that, not so much.

HOWEVER, now I get to be that partner to so many poeple at my training facility - now THAT'S an awesome responsibility!

Mr. Dead
05-27-11, 11:53 am
I've rarely had a training partner... I generally train alone... However... The team of my Trainer (Rage) and my wife (dd2inxs), is unbelieveable... Rage makes the necessary tweaks and adjustments to my diet and training... dd2inxs keeps me on-track, semi-sane, focused, and is not hesitant to remind me, that she has Rage on speed-dial, if I get out of line... *LOL*

Spastic_Koala
05-27-11, 12:03 pm
I hate groups standing around, talking and what not, but when you get 2, 3, or 4 people training together, balls o the walls, no breaks between sets, pushing eachother; it's an awesome time.

Agreed. It always depends on the people you have training with you.

J Wong
05-27-11, 1:21 pm
I train with a team and it's great. I used to train alone and actually preferred to train alone then with the team when I started with them because it was such a new thing to me, but over time I got used to it and now I like it. I think you can train alone to a certain level, then it becomes better to have a knowledgeable group with you to help you out. (The last sentence was more towards powerlifters, but I am sure it can be that way for bodybuilders as well).

Bruiser
05-27-11, 1:53 pm
I train alone. It would be nice to at least have a spotter on chest day, but the F***ER must have chewed through his chains, because he wasn't in the gym/garage when I went to train on Tuesday... I wonder if it's the rodent shit, barn cat piss, or dead baby mice that keeps people away from my gym?

Tiny1102
05-27-11, 4:50 pm
Yea, that might keep me away

I train alone. It would be nice to at least have a spotter on chest day, but the F***ER must have chewed through his chains, because he wasn't in the gym/garage when I went to train on Tuesday... I wonder if it's the rodent shit, barn cat piss, or dead baby mice that keeps people away from my gym?

Tiny1102
05-27-11, 4:53 pm
Well if they are not supporting, then they are not good training partners.

Machine
05-27-11, 8:51 pm
Had my best training all by my lonesome including PRs...cant be done in the powerlifting game though.

MACHINE

BigChrisF
05-28-11, 2:20 am
It would be nice to have a team or a dedicated training partner. For the most part I train alone. On two of the days, I train all alone and the other two I go to a place that I can get a spot whenever I need it.

I've had a few training partners in the past, but eventually life will make you part ways. All good things...

Bruiser
05-28-11, 7:03 am
Yea, that might keep me away

Yeah we moved outside of town and the house is the oldest one out here, so you can imagine what the garage looks like. There are holes in the wood siding so field mice, chipmunks, squirrels and the barn cats from across the street can come and "go" as they please. It makes for an interesting training environment. lol

SailinScotty
05-28-11, 2:38 pm
I train alone most of the time. Every once in awhile ill train with my dad. We have different goals, he's big into cycling and just being fit, but those are some of my favorite workouts. He's only been lifting waits for a year so when he started I was pretty excited. I'll also train with my fiance on occasion but on heavy lifts she doesn't feel comfortable spotting me. Sometimes though its nice to be alone. I crank up the music, get in my zone, and go get after it.

Tiny1102
06-01-11, 9:14 am
I have to admit. I love training with a team, but I hate the fact that one person can cause major issues to the team. All it takes is bad attitude from one person and the work out can suck.

GUNS
06-01-11, 9:24 am
I train alone most of the time. Every once in awhile ill train with my dad. We have different goals, he's big into cycling and just being fit, but those are some of my favorite workouts. He's only been lifting waits for a year so when he started I was pretty excited. I'll also train with my fiance on occasion but on heavy lifts she doesn't feel comfortable spotting me. Sometimes though its nice to be alone. I crank up the music, get in my zone, and go get after it.

When I do get the chance to workout with my son, it's on like donkey kong! He pushes me, and I push him. Crazy workouts, he's the one who usually puke's though.

SailinScotty
06-01-11, 1:25 pm
When I do get the chance to workout with my son, it's on like donkey kong! He pushes me, and I push him. Crazy workouts, he's the one who usually puke's though.

That's awesome. Someone needs to show us young bucks how its done.

Aggression
06-01-11, 1:33 pm
For most of my life in the gym, I've trained alone. For all of 2009, I had a great training partner, an NPC Nationals competitor. He guided me through my prep while he prepared for his own shows. We worked well together. Since then, I've pretty much been solo. I've acquired a few guys here and there but they've all fallen off. None have been as focused/determined as me. Its a shame that C.Coronato and I have an hour's difference in our work schedules, as we already train in the same gym and could be training together.

GUNS
06-02-11, 2:08 am
For most of my life in the gym, I've trained alone. For all of 2009, I had a great training partner, an NPC Nationals competitor. He guided me through my prep while he prepared for his own shows. We worked well together. Since then, I've pretty much been solo. I've acquired a few guys here and there but they've all fallen off. None have been as focused/determined as me. Its a shame that C.Coronato and I have an hour's difference in our work schedules, as we already train in the same gym and could be training together.

Aggression, I'll come be your partner if I can get a job at the U. I am extremely dedicated and focused. But the problem is, I don't have many business type skills, But I can shoot the hell out of some guns. Maybe I can be the U's security guard or something. Do you need a body guard? LOL

Im the same way man. I havn't had many, but the one's I have had have been pretty good at getting it done. It suck's when you have someone that had the qualities you are looking for, but just can't get together or in my case, you get orders to some other location.

GUNS
06-02-11, 2:11 am
That's awesome. Someone needs to show us young bucks how its done.

Yeah, I would love to do this for a living but I have other skills that will most likely be used when I retire. My son has the genetics for this sport. He has the drive and motivation for it as well. But right now, he has other things going on, so we are crossing our fingers for a great upcoming football season, hoping the NFL is watching, which we know they were last season. And he is now eligible!

SailinScotty
06-02-11, 8:04 pm
Yeah, I would love to do this for a living but I have other skills that will most likely be used when I retire. My son has the genetics for this sport. He has the drive and motivation for it as well. But right now, he has other things going on, so we are crossing our fingers for a great upcoming football season, hoping the NFL is watching, which we know they were last season. And he is now eligible!

That is great. What school does he play for? With the uncertainity of the NFL I have a feeling collge might get even bigger this year. I always try to watch it when I can but it's tough to get the fiance to give me two days. At least she enjoys watching my hometown Hawks. If her Huskies are playing though its a little easier.