PDA

View Full Version : How is success measured?

The House
05-29-11, 9:12 am
What do you guys think? Is success measured on how many shows you win or how many lives you touch on your journey. Or is it measured on how much money you make in your life time or is sucessful being happy at what u do. Sometimes I question myself to see if I am on the right path. Am I happy with what I am doing and where will I be in ten years from now. For me success is measured in providing for my family and making sure they are happy. It's not about all the money. Yes money is important to provide but I don't need millions to provide like some people think. So what do u guys think what makes u feel sucessful in life.

Imjorman
05-29-11, 11:03 am
What do you guys think? Is success measured on how many shows you win or how many lives you touch on your journey. Or is it measured on how much money you make in your life time or is sucessful being happy at what u do. Sometimes I question myself to see if I am on the right path. Am I happy with what I am doing and where will I be in ten years from now. For me success is measured in providing for my family and making sure they are happy. It's not about all the money. Yes money is important to provide but I don't need millions to provide like some people think. So what do u guys think what makes u feel sucessful in life.

I think success is nothing but living a life that when you lay down and die, you can look around and see the differences you've made. Yeah you need money to live, but you shouldn't live to need money. You should be living to leave this world a little more beautiful than you found it.

Bruiser
05-29-11, 11:21 am
I had to give up working and become a stay at home dad three years ago. Since then I have measured success by the goals my sons have reached. Our 12 year old is my step son and I've had a long battle undoing the damage "biodad" did early on in his life. We homeschool him now and he's progressed so amazingly and has great relationships with his close friends. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Autism last year. He is non-verbal, and has CNS issues and needs in home therapy 5 days a week. He has battled every day and will continue to do so for the rest of his life. Every step forward that he makes, I know I have succeeded as a father. By seeing the difference that my sons have made and will make in this world, I know that I have succeeded as a human being. Seeing the changes my boys have made in themselves, makes me want to be the best person (mentally, emotionaly and physically) I can be.

andrewT
05-29-11, 11:28 am
I had to give up working and become a stay at home dad three years ago. Since then I have measured success by the goals my sons have reached. Our 12 year old is my step son and I've had a long battle undoing the damage "biodad" did early on in his life. We homeschool him now and he's progressed so amazingly and has great relationships with his close friends. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Autism last year. He is non-verbal, and has CNS issues and needs in home therapy 5 days a week. He has battled every day and will continue to do so for the rest of his life. Every step forward that he makes, I know I have succeeded as a father. By seeing the difference that my sons have made and will make in this world, I know that I have succeeded as a human being. Seeing the changes my boys have made in themselves, makes me want to be the best person (mentally, emotionaly and physically) I can be.

I'd say this stand up fellow is a successful guy.
I don't think you can measure success, just do the best you can in life for the things that matter the most to you. When you reach your goals, you have become successful!

Bruiser
05-29-11, 11:37 am
I don't think you can measure success, just do the best you can in life for the things that matter the most to you. When you reach your goals, you have become successful!

Thanks man, I appreciate it. It's funny when I bump into guys I haven't seen in a while and tell them I'm a stay at home dad. I can tell which ones have kids and which ones don't. The ones who don't say "Oh really?" with a cocky look on their face. The one's who have kids say "Oooohhhh. Really?" with their head cocked sideways like they are giving condolences. They know. lol

Joe J
05-29-11, 11:39 am
Success is measured in your own personal mental satisfaction that you are doing what you want to do with your own life, and not neccessarily how physically successful you are in this thing.

andrewT
05-29-11, 12:04 pm
Thanks man, I appreciate it. It's funny when I bump into guys I haven't seen in a while and tell them I'm a stay at home dad. I can tell which ones have kids and which ones don't. The ones who don't say "Oh really?" with a cocky look on their face. The one's who have kids say "Oooohhhh. Really?" with their head cocked sideways like they are giving condolences. They know. lol

screw em.
as long as you know whats up! Definition of a Man in my eyes along with a bunch of other stuff includes being able to make sacrifices to take care of your kin.

much respect my friend. Continue to do what you do for your little guys.

Bruiser
05-29-11, 12:06 pm
screw em.
as long as you know whats up! Definition of a Man in my eyes along with a bunch of other stuff includes being able to make sacrifices to take care of your kin.

Thanks man

zubda345
05-29-11, 5:13 pm
From my . of view.

IF:
1) U look back at ur past U can smile and thankx God for what u r.
2) U are happy with what u have atchived and what u will.
3) If U have done what u really want to do, if u are living ur dream then u r sucessfull in life.

U r sucessfull u have won...

The House
05-29-11, 5:20 pm
I think success is nothing but living a life that when you lay down and die, you can look around and see the differences you've made. Yeah you need money to live, but you shouldn't live to need money. You should be living to leave this world a little more beautiful than you found it.

Agree bro measured on making the world a better place

The House
05-29-11, 5:22 pm

Yes success is changing people and helping people in need. Seeing them get better from your guidance is success

The House
05-29-11, 5:23 pm

Yes reaching a goal is success

The House
05-29-11, 5:24 pm

Yes it is Harder than many think

The House
05-29-11, 5:25 pm
Success is measured in your own personal mental satisfaction that you are doing what you want to do with your own life, and not neccessarily how physically successful you are in this thing.

Very true butvone can have physically success also

The House
05-29-11, 5:26 pm
screw em.

A mans family is a true measure of success and dedication

BarbellManiac
05-29-11, 5:28 pm
Success is measured by the satisfaction of knowing that you did consistently chased after your dreams. One should never measure success based on how others views him, but by how he himself sees what he did with his life, Machine (Andrew) taught me that by posting it in one of my earlier threads. Never chase after success, excellency in everything will eventually lead to success. In the end, as long as your happy with how you live, and what you did, your successful in my eyes.

The House
05-29-11, 5:28 pm
From my . of view.

IF:
1) U look back at ur past U can smile and thankx God for what u r.
2) U are happy with what u have atchived and what u will.
3) If U have done what u really want to do, if u are living ur dream then u r sucessfull in life.

U r sucessfull u have won...

Hard work + dedication + having fun and enjoying what u do and what others around u do = success

The House
05-29-11, 5:30 pm
Success is measured by the satisfaction of knowing that you did consistently chased after your dreams. One should never measure success based on how others views him, but by how he himself sees what he did with his life, Machine (Andrew) taught me that by posting it in one of my earlier threads. Never chase after success, excellency in everything will eventually lead to success. In the end, as long as your happy with how you live, and what you did, your successful in my eyes.

Very true it is measured on how we view ourselves

The House
05-29-11, 5:31 pm
Life is about making the best out of what happens and success is feeling good about it

IronWilson
05-29-11, 6:55 pm
Success is relative and is different for everyone. For some people, it's money. For some people, it's being the strongest. For some, it's having a trophy wife or something.

Machine
05-29-11, 7:29 pm
Success is so transgressive in nature...it is elusive, corupting, insatiable, and fleeting. It is so difficult to positively impact all of the areas of your life simutaneuosly, and so one ends up giving this for that. I have no secret formula and certainly have failed many, many more times than I have succeeded by any man's criteria. But I think that I need to view success as a process more than an "end zone moment." I try to get a little better each day I am above ground; and I try not to give any ground back that I have taken...and that is the struggle. Successful people really are no different from any one else, they do the things that put them in a position to win; they just put themselves in that position with more frequency than most others do...and they are not bored off the trail by failure or tedium.

MACHINE

The House
05-29-11, 8:26 pm
Success is relative and is different for everyone. For some people, it's money. For some people, it's being the strongest. For some, it's having a trophy wife or something.

Yes it is different for everyone

The House
05-29-11, 8:29 pm
Success is so transgressive in nature...it is elusive, corupting, insatiable, and fleeting. It is so difficult to positively impact all of the areas of your life simutaneuosly, and so one ends up giving this for that. I have no secret formula and certainly have failed many, many more times than I have succeeded by any man's criteria. But I think that I need to view success as a process more than an "end zone moment." I try to get a little better each day I am above ground; and I try not to give any ground back that I have taken...and that is the struggle. Successful people really are no different from any one else, they do the things that put them in a position to win; they just put themselves in that position with more frequency than most others do...and they are not bored off the trail by failure or tedium.

MACHINE
Very good view . Not giving ground is a very good success even with failure sometimes we gain ground by learning.

Imjorman
05-29-11, 9:07 pm

But what is it that makes those things successful? What about money, strength, or a hot wife makes it successful? Like just because I have lots of money doesn't make me successful, there's an underlying ideology here that' we're all missing...hmmm....

Gorilla.
05-29-11, 10:40 pm
getting to your goals, working your ass off to get there and doing anything to reach them, no matter how many times u fall, once you reach those goals. you have succeeded. thats my view

Onslaught
05-30-11, 1:52 am
Everything we set forth to do is a promise to someone. Either ourselves, our managers/bosses, our girlfriends/wives/life partner/friends/etcetcetc.

Success I believe, and as the originator of the quote above (Seth Godin) believes, is about keeping promises. Sure you fail sometimes (I never did get around to writing that collection of essays), but you always pull through when it counts the most (totally made my anniversary with the lady grand).

The perfect score isn't success, but showing up when you know the odds aren't in your favor is. I always clap and cheer harder when someone's struggling in a sticking point at a powerlifting meet compared to the big lift that looked effortless. Why? Because sure the other guy got the result he was looking for, but the guy struggling had the courage to keep his promise even when that sticking point hit. He fought and fought, and whether or not he lifted it in the end doesn't matter, because hell, he gave it his all.

Your goals are promises. Your aspirations are future promises you can't make materialize yet, but you still keep them, or work your damndest to.

It's easy for people to view money and material as success because it's easily measured. But there's another kind of success, and again, all relative.

I think the football world calls it having "intangibles."

zubda345
05-30-11, 7:32 am
Hard work + dedication + having fun and enjoying what u do and what others around u do = success

Yeah, same what I meant...

zubda345
05-30-11, 7:36 am
One of the greatest man in history:

General George S. Patton said, “Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”

And I think answer is in this phrase no matter how we look at it...

IronWilson
06-01-11, 9:20 pm
But what is it that makes those things successful? What about money, strength, or a hot wife makes it successful? Like just because I have lots of money doesn't make me successful, there's an underlying ideology here that' we're all missing...hmmm....

It is achieving a goal that determines feelings of success. If you achieve your goal to some degree, you are considered successful in your endeavor. Of course, some people do things just for accolades and attention, but that is not the main reason for most people.

Imjorman
06-01-11, 9:48 pm
It is achieving a goal that determines feelings of success. If you achieve your goal to some degree, you are considered successful in your endeavor. Of course, some people do things just for accolades and attention, but that is not the main reason for most people.

I guess I'm going to further probe for clarity and the sake of debate; is success then, determined by goal meeting? because I feel like one can meet his/her goals and still never truly "succeed"

IronWilson
06-01-11, 9:59 pm
I guess I'm going to further probe for clarity and the sake of debate; is success then, determined by goal meeting? because I feel like one can meet his/her goals and still never truly "succeed"

Success is also about happiness and satisfaction. Staying "hungry" is a common component of many people that are considered successful. It is a blessing and curse. These people see milestones whenever they achieve a goal, yet they never feel satisfied. This is why I think they feel like they have not succeeded.

The House
06-05-11, 7:17 pm

true

The House
06-05-11, 7:18 pm
getting to your goals, working your ass off to get there and doing anything to reach them, no matter how many times u fall, once you reach those goals. you have succeeded. thats my view

true but what if yuor goals are very low does it make u successful still.

The House
06-05-11, 7:20 pm
Everything we set forth to do is a promise to someone. Either ourselves, our managers/bosses, our girlfriends/wives/life partner/friends/etcetcetc.

Success I believe, and as the originator of the quote above (Seth Godin) believes, is about keeping promises. Sure you fail sometimes (I never did get around to writing that collection of essays), but you always pull through when it counts the most (totally made my anniversary with the lady grand).

The perfect score isn't success, but showing up when you know the odds aren't in your favor is. I always clap and cheer harder when someone's struggling in a sticking point at a powerlifting meet compared to the big lift that looked effortless. Why? Because sure the other guy got the result he was looking for, but the guy struggling had the courage to keep his promise even when that sticking point hit. He fought and fought, and whether or not he lifted it in the end doesn't matter, because hell, he gave it his all.

Your goals are promises. Your aspirations are future promises you can't make materialize yet, but you still keep them, or work your damndest to.

It's easy for people to view money and material as success because it's easily measured. But there's another kind of success, and again, all relative.

I think the football world calls it having "intangibles."
very good write i like the way you think thanks for in put

The House
06-05-11, 7:20 pm
Yeah, same what I meant...

good minds think alike

The House
06-05-11, 7:21 pm
One of the greatest man in history:

General George S. Patton said, “Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”

And I think answer is in this phrase no matter how we look at it...

true but you dont have to fail first to make it.

The House
06-05-11, 7:22 pm

self success is more important than others thinking you have succeeded

The House
06-05-11, 7:24 pm

agree if the goal is to do nothing then they might do that but it does not make them successful

The House
06-05-11, 7:26 pm
Success is also about happiness and satisfaction. Staying "hungry" is a common component of many people that are considered successful. It is a blessing and curse. These people see milestones whenever they achieve a goal, yet they never feel satisfied. This is why I think they feel like they have not succeeded.

i think staying hungry is when a man has not yet been successful. once he has success he doent have that feeling anymore to the degree that he did in the past.

Cellardweller
06-08-11, 12:39 pm
true but what if yuor goals are very low does it make u successful still.

Lets say your goal is to loose 40lbs. Then you break that goal down to 10lbs per week or even month. Hitting that 10lbs per month is a small success and yet it's still part of the bigger picture. Goals are funny though. In my example if you lost the 40lbs that would be a success, but does that make you a successful person? What happens after you achieve your goals?

I work in an emergency room and I met this guy once who was a WWII vet living in an assisted living apartment. He was writing his 3rd or 4th book. He said the other residents where he lives "just exist." They get up, have a nice breakfast and watch TV until their nice lunch is served to them then they watch Oprah until their very nice dinner is served to them then they go to bed. I know the place he was living at and it wasn't fancy by a long shot. He couldn't have had alot of money in his life but I think he was successful as a person because he was keeping his mind sharp and even in his "golden years" he was doing something productive with his life. My hat was off to him.

Theonidus
06-08-11, 12:45 pm
Since reading this, it's been haunting, lurking at the back of my mind:
"I've never trusted anyone who cares more about success rather than reaching and striving for what they want to be successful at"

Back To Basics
06-09-11, 7:57 am
House this threads reminds me of Mark Dugdales new dvd called "Legacy", I'm looking forward to it.

What do you think Legacy is?

The House
06-12-11, 6:18 pm
Lets say your goal is to loose 40lbs. Then you break that goal down to 10lbs per week or even month. Hitting that 10lbs per month is a small success and yet it's still part of the bigger picture. Goals are funny though. In my example if you lost the 40lbs that would be a success, but does that make you a successful person? What happens after you achieve your goals?

I work in an emergency room and I met this guy once who was a WWII vet living in an assisted living apartment. He was writing his 3rd or 4th book. He said the other residents where he lives "just exist." They get up, have a nice breakfast and watch TV until their nice lunch is served to them then they watch Oprah until their very nice dinner is served to them then they go to bed. I know the place he was living at and it wasn't fancy by a long shot. He couldn't have had alot of money in his life but I think he was successful as a person because he was keeping his mind sharp and even in his "golden years" he was doing something productive with his life. My hat was off to him.

wow good story

The House
06-12-11, 6:19 pm
Since reading this, it's been haunting, lurking at the back of my mind:
"I've never trusted anyone who cares more about success rather than reaching and striving for what they want to be successful at"

that is a good one thanks for pointing out

The House
06-12-11, 6:20 pm
House this threads reminds me of Mark Dugdales new dvd called "Legacy", I'm looking forward to it.

What do you think Legacy is?
legacy |ˈlegəsē|
noun ( pl. -cies)
an amount of money or property left to someone in a will.
• a thing handed down by a predecessor : the legacy of centuries of neglect.
adjective Computing
denoting software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use.
ORIGIN late Middle English (also denoting the function or office of a deputy, esp. a papal legate): from Old French legacie, from medieval Latin legatia ‘legateship,’ from legatus ‘person delegated’ (see legate ).

The House
06-12-11, 6:21 pm
legacy |ˈlegəsē|
noun ( pl. -cies)
an amount of money or property left to someone in a will.
• a thing handed down by a predecessor : the legacy of centuries of neglect.
adjective Computing
denoting software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use.
ORIGIN late Middle English (also denoting the function or office of a deputy, esp. a papal legate): from Old French legacie, from medieval Latin legatia ‘legateship,’ from legatus ‘person delegated’ (see legate ).

thats what the dic says but what do you guys think

Back To Basics
06-12-11, 8:04 pm
thats what the dic says but what do you guys think

Here is the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTn7943NE4Y

korn_fed
06-14-11, 2:07 am
I don't believe one meaning of success can be determined. It's a culmination of doing your best, helping others, and achieving your aspirations. It's a mix of meeting goals, but also learning from mistakes. It's a combination of pushing your talents to extremes, but also acquiring that certain amount of skill that makes you top notch.
Our society today is too much driven by money and power. Everywhere we look, we see the promotion of status = happiness, wealthy = fulfillment. Fuck that, I dont need a damn mercedes to feel fulfilled. When you think about it, it's a fucked up concept. How can money, which is literally just ink printed on paper, determine who we are and our happiness? And if thats the society that we live in, that teaches us that the person with the most damn paper is the person thats the happiest, then screw society. I dont want to a part of that, just give me my weights, my action movies, my music and my food and I'm the damn near happiest person to ever walk the face of the earth.
Success to me, personally, is the ability to learn, adapt, and move on. I feel fulfillment when I learn something new that makes an old way of thinking or doing obsolete, a new way to train that recruits more muscle fibers, a new recipe thats even more delicious and nutritious than the last. Success is also knowing that I have helped someone, whether it be helping them with a task, spreading my wealth of knowledge, or even just listening to what they have to say, because everyone needs someone else to listen to them once in a while. Finally, success is my ability to overcome, both physically and emotionally. Life aint all peaches and cream, and once in a while you'll get a ton of bricks thrown at ya. Its not how you get out from underneath the bricks that measures success, but what you do with the bricks after youve gotten out.

LegendKillerJosh
06-16-11, 10:48 pm
I agree with Machine about 1 particular statement - success to me isn't defined by one breakthrough moment. It's a constant. Success should be in each persons mind a matter of beating themselves and not comparing to everyone else. Each workout I break a PR I consider it a success. That doesn't mean I'm done though. To be successful I must keep getting better everyday. If I hit the lotto and win $100 million I am not suddenly a successful person. If I look back and see I am stronger, wiser, richer, and happier every day than I was the day before, that is success. If I look back and see I use to better than I am today, something is wrong.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

LegendKillerJosh
06-16-11, 10:50 pm
Found another quote I like -

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

The House
06-19-11, 8:14 pm
Here is the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTn7943NE4Y

looks like a great dvd. he is a great guy

The House
06-19-11, 8:14 pm
I don't believe one meaning of success can be determined. It's a culmination of doing your best, helping others, and achieving your aspirations. It's a mix of meeting goals, but also learning from mistakes. It's a combination of pushing your talents to extremes, but also acquiring that certain amount of skill that makes you top notch.
Our society today is too much driven by money and power. Everywhere we look, we see the promotion of status = happiness, wealthy = fulfillment. Fuck that, I dont need a damn mercedes to feel fulfilled. When you think about it, it's a fucked up concept. How can money, which is literally just ink printed on paper, determine who we are and our happiness? And if thats the society that we live in, that teaches us that the person with the most damn paper is the person thats the happiest, then screw society. I dont want to a part of that, just give me my weights, my action movies, my music and my food and I'm the damn near happiest person to ever walk the face of the earth.
Success to me, personally, is the ability to learn, adapt, and move on. I feel fulfillment when I learn something new that makes an old way of thinking or doing obsolete, a new way to train that recruits more muscle fibers, a new recipe thats even more delicious and nutritious than the last. Success is also knowing that I have helped someone, whether it be helping them with a task, spreading my wealth of knowledge, or even just listening to what they have to say, because everyone needs someone else to listen to them once in a while. Finally, success is my ability to overcome, both physically and emotionally. Life aint all peaches and cream, and once in a while you'll get a ton of bricks thrown at ya. Its not how you get out from underneath the bricks that measures success, but what you do with the bricks after youve gotten out.
good post

The House
06-19-11, 8:16 pm
I agree with Machine about 1 particular statement - success to me isn't defined by one breakthrough moment. It's a constant. Success should be in each persons mind a matter of beating themselves and not comparing to everyone else. Each workout I break a PR I consider it a success. That doesn't mean I'm done though. To be successful I must keep getting better everyday. If I hit the lotto and win $100 million I am not suddenly a successful person. If I look back and see I am stronger, wiser, richer, and happier every day than I was the day before, that is success. If I look back and see I use to better than I am today, something is wrong.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

its like doing something eachday to make you beter than the day before

The House
06-19-11, 8:18 pm
Found another quote I like -

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

i am know to many people want want want i think it should be things you need not want in life.

The House
07-24-11, 6:14 pm
success is measured by the end result

Bruiser
07-24-11, 6:21 pm
success is measured by the end result

Well said bro. Put that on the next Animal T-Shirt

The House
07-24-11, 6:26 pm
Well said bro. Put that on the next Animal T-Shirt

and on the back it can say "your looking at it"

Bruiser
07-24-11, 6:28 pm
and on the back it can say "your looking at it"

Hells yeah! You've got some pull... make it happen. Just remember who helped you with the idea! LOL

violator
07-25-11, 11:21 am
success...

striving to achieve a lofty goal and making it happen...no matter what it takes...

kind of like this guy Erik Fankhouser that ive read about... wanting to step on an Olympia stage and getting there after YEARS of dedication to his goal...

but success is more than just an individual thing, when you achieve it, it inspires the lives of all those around you and helps them take it up a notch as well...

thanks for the inspiration Big guy...