PDA

View Full Version : Do you think deadlifts help or hurt the bench press?

Tiny1102
06-02-11, 12:11 am
I have heard that it does both, so give me some feedback.

zubda345
06-02-11, 4:09 am
I have heard that it does both, so give me some feedback.

From my point of view if U do deads just before Bench it'll hurt ur bench. If U do deads not just before or some other day then bench, it helps bench.

Tiny man I sent u a pm, no reply till now.

BigChrisF
06-02-11, 6:29 am
I would say both. Deadlifts built a stronger back which gives a more stable base to bench off of as well as being able to hold an arch with heavy weight. The down side is that the thicker my back got from deads, the harder it was to get a big arch.

Hercules
06-02-11, 7:45 am
I agree with BigChrisF that deads can help build a foundation to keep you more stable on the bench. Even the hormonal response from deadlifting (or squatting) heavy can help increase your bench. I always encourage my guys to train lower body and back more than anything else and their bench numbers keep improving right along with their squats, deads, cleans, and overhead presses. I honestly can't see how it can hurt at all.

mritter3
06-02-11, 8:10 am
i dont think it would hurt your bench unless your doing them on the same day, deads build a nice big, strong back which as far as i know is an asset when benching.

Tiny1102
06-02-11, 4:20 pm
Looks like I might start pulling more, but I want to hear from more first.

i dont think it would hurt your bench unless your doing them on the same day, deads build a nice big, strong back which as far as i know is an asset when benching.

rev8ball
06-02-11, 4:30 pm
I agree with BigChrisF that deads can help build a foundation to keep you more stable on the bench. Even the hormonal response from deadlifting (or squatting) heavy can help increase your bench. I always encourage my guys to train lower body and back more than anything else and their bench numbers keep improving right along with their squats, deads, cleans, and overhead presses. I honestly can't see how it can hurt at all.

Bingo.
Plus, also better development in hips and hamstrings - great way to increase stability and power production from the lower body.

J A Y
06-02-11, 5:04 pm
Vincent Dizenzo is a bench only guy who comes to mind quickly in relation to this question... and he has always preached carrying on squatting and deadlifting throughout training even if you are a bench only just for the simple fact they make your whole body stronger as a unit (I am aware you are a massive bencher tiny, not trying to insult your intelligence here)

I am more swayed towards they will help you, the only thing i can see them having a negative effect with is if like people have said you deadlift heavy on the same day or the day before... it could be taxing on the CNS and obviously muscles you may need to utilise to bench, but even then its not going to have a HUGE detrimental impact(day before).. coming back to Vinny d... just lower your training max and just pull with the mindset of using it as more of a tool to put up bigger numbers!

Tiny1102
06-03-11, 12:25 am
I can't squat anymore due to a couple of car wrecks, but I do not feel that squatting helps the bench. I do believe in training legs. And I like to go very heavy on the leg training. My concern with the pulling is the effects on the joints. I am thinking about pulling once a month.

Vincent Dizenzo is a bench only guy who comes to mind quickly in relation to this question... and he has always preached carrying on squatting and deadlifting throughout training even if you are a bench only just for the simple fact they make your whole body stronger as a unit (I am aware you are a massive bencher tiny, not trying to insult your intelligence here)

I am more swayed towards they will help you, the only thing i can see them having a negative effect with is if like people have said you deadlift heavy on the same day or the day before... it could be taxing on the CNS and obviously muscles you may need to utilise to bench, but even then its not going to have a HUGE detrimental impact(day before).. coming back to Vinny d... just lower your training max and just pull with the mindset of using it as more of a tool to put up bigger numbers!

BigChrisF
06-03-11, 1:41 am
I can't squat anymore due to a couple of car wrecks, but I do not feel that squatting helps the bench. I do believe in training legs. And I like to go very heavy on the leg training. My concern with the pulling is the effects on the joints. I am thinking about pulling once a month.

What injuries do you have that prevent squatting but not deadlifting?

Back to the Vincent example, I know from interviews that he held off squatting and deadlifting for a long time because of several herniated discs in his back.

Tiny1102
06-03-11, 9:09 am
I have been in three car accidents. Hit from behind in all three. I have tried a couple of times to make a return back to squatting and each time I messed my back up again. Pulling does not effect my back the way squatting does. A lot of that has to do with holding the bar. I can do safety squats, but I cannot hold the bar anymore. No flexibility. I love to lift, but no pain no gain is not exactly true.

What injuries do you have that prevent squatting but not deadlifting?

Back to the Vincent example, I know from interviews that he held off squatting and deadlifting for a long time because of several herniated discs in his back.

Tiny1102
06-22-11, 10:33 pm
I have been pulling every other week after my back work. Right now, just raw 315 for 3 sets of 10 and 405 for 2 sets of 8. Feeling pretty good. Hope to see some good results soon.