PDA

View Full Version : Blood & Guts w/o a partner

MRmichael.hooker
06-02-11, 8:54 am
Do you think its do-able? I mean, the main principle behind Dorian's Blood & Guts is 1, balls-to-wall, all out failure set. Not that its the same principle, but for example, I know Rage's HRT has its regular style, and he also put out HRT for those w/o training partners that is slightly altered. Do you think B&G could be changed a lil bit and still get the same benefits? Only issue in my head is the point IS to go to absolute failure and beyond, and it would be hard for forced reps without a partner. Thanks bros

mritter3
06-02-11, 9:01 am
i guess if your using machines failure might be an option, but with free weights your def. putting yourself at risk for injury....i think with that style a partner is necessary IMO.

Bruiser
06-02-11, 9:07 am
You can do that alone but only to a certain extent. Anything you can do DBs you would be able to do this style of training. Because you can use your other arm to help you get the forced reps and negatives, etc and push yourself to total failure. I do this with the B3. That last set when I jump back to the heaviest DB, is when I'll use my other arm to help get those last few reps. I can feel a difference when I do stuff like this compared to if I was just using a barbell and going to "failure". There is a huge difference getting those forced reps in.

MRmichael.hooker
06-02-11, 9:20 am
You can do that alone but only to a certain extent. Anything you can do DBs you would be able to do this style of training. Because you can use your other arm to help you get the forced reps and negatives, etc and push yourself to total failure. I do this with the B3. That last set when I jump back to the heaviest DB, is when I'll use my other arm to help get those last few reps. I can feel a difference when I do stuff like this compared to if I was just using a barbell and going to "failure". There is a huge difference getting those forced reps in.

see what my concern was/is shoulders, back, legs. Like you said, I could use dbs for arms (using the other arm for forced) and smith/dbs for chest. But i dont wanna do blood & guts for some parts and not others

Aggression
06-02-11, 9:59 am
Unfortunately, to get the best results from it, you'd need a training partner. However, if you're at a solid gym with trusted members, there's no harm in asking someone for a spot on that one set. Remember, you're not asking for a spot on 3-4 sets per exercise, you're just getting a spot on 1 set. At the end of your training day, you'd need maybe 4-5 spots, TOTAL. If you're at a good gym, that won't be an issue at all.

G Diesel
06-02-11, 10:12 am
MR3 has it right... Pushing yourself beyond failure on machines is doable generally, but any heavy free weight exercise where you leave yourself vulnerable--squats, bench, overhead presses, etc, the risk far outweighs the reward.

Peace, G

BarbellManiac
06-02-11, 2:16 pm
I do it alone, as long as you have some safe method such as someone nearby or using a smith machine.

Carrnage
06-02-11, 2:51 pm
Do you think its do-able? I mean, the main principle behind Dorian's Blood & Guts is 1, balls-to-wall, all out failure set. Not that its the same principle, but for example, I know Rage's HRT has its regular style, and he also put out HRT for those w/o training partners that is slightly altered. Do you think B&G could be changed a lil bit and still get the same benefits? Only issue in my head is the point IS to go to absolute failure and beyond, and it would be hard for forced reps without a partner. Thanks bros

Its possible, choose movements that dont need a "must" spot liek swapping out barbell presses for dumbbells, and just do a drop set at the end of each set or a rest pause set if you want to take it to extreme failure, Dorian just went up to normal failure, here and there did forced reps, but then again doing forced reps with 400+ pounds on the bar is dangerous as hell, Dorain is smart!

zubda345
06-02-11, 3:27 pm
I agree with Carrnage here, It's dangerous with even a 225 pounds on a bar when u r doing standing calves without a machine. I was gonna have a fall with that today. It can be done alone but a partner is a best bet...

G Diesel
06-02-11, 3:30 pm
Forced reps aren't possible without a spotter, so training in the exact same fashion as Dorian in Blood and Guts but doing so solo would be technically impossible.

Peace, G

GUNS
06-02-11, 3:48 pm
I have done B&G numerous times a few years back. And I did it alone. Everyone is right, but I think you can still go to failure in racks/Smith. I have a set up now where the BB bech has a rack just an inch off my chest. Forced reps are impossible without a partner though. So you just have to go to failure. If you want, add a drop set to that to get a few more.

It does work solo!

Sean_Warrior
06-03-11, 6:45 am
I've done this both with and without and had beasty results both times. W/o a partner i justed used Rest-Pause, Negatives and Drop Sets to go to failure.

Just to put it out there, i actually followed this routines exercises but did it High Volume 4-5 sets and got a killer pump.

Carrnage
06-03-11, 5:09 pm
I've done this both with and without and had beasty results both times. W/o a partner i justed used Rest-Pause, Negatives and Drop Sets to go to failure.

Just to put it out there, i actually followed this routines exercises but did it High Volume 4-5 sets and got a killer pump.

Hell yeah doing brutal sets to failure for multiple sets is the way to go...none of this 1 working set bullshit here!

zubda345
06-03-11, 11:22 pm
Forced reps aren't possible without a spotter, so training in the exact same fashion as Dorian in Blood and Guts but doing so solo would be technically impossible.

Peace, G

Right on

Machine
06-04-11, 9:32 am

The pursuit of bodybuilding, by virtue of its very nature, precludes the option of having a completely relaible training partner. I have been incorporating high intensity training techniques into my session for as long as I have been training and I can safely say that training without a training partner is the most consistently intense element available to the daily training athlete.

MACHINE

Tiny1102
06-05-11, 4:25 pm
No way will I lift to failure without someone there.

The_Beast
06-05-11, 7:35 pm
A Power Rack brother is all you need..