PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Bear free.

BigBlueBear
06-03-11, 4:04 am
Oh man oh man, where do I even start? Seems my old log has gone to the wayside, but you know what that's good. I ain't the kid I was 4 years ago. I ain't the man I want to be either. Along the way, I've moved, had my gym close down on me, moved to a new gym that decided to cut their size by 1/3 to put in a pizza shop instead, flipped them the double bird in the end and now I'm home once again.

Hell that sounds like a bad thing being home, but home is wear the Bear gets big. Triple B's wife loves his commitment and rewarded him with his own lil spot in the new house and a big freaking cage to go with it (pics to come). I gotta cut my body up once again though, just how it goes. I tried a new approach to training for 6 months and it didn't prove good results for me. Hell though, won't know till you try it right?

Anyways... I digress. This ain't just a banner for me to rant on, it's for a place to call on my brothers and sisters here to thump me when I'm wrong and help me get to where it's right. Thank ya'll in advance, ya'll been there before and ya know I'm there when you need me. So with further...

Right now I'm running Rage pre instead of Cuts. I'm really loving the feeling of Rage and what I can get done with it. Cuts I put in everytime I run a full can of Rage, then it's back on the orange. Omega of course, Flex for beating myself up, EAA intra with some gatorade, and of course Pak. I'm way away from doing Keto, I just do not like that style after trying it a few times. Works for others, not for me.

Split looks like...

Sun - Shoulders (2 a day cardio)
Mon - Legs (2 a day very light cardio)
Tues - Rest (1 cardio session)
Wed - Chest (1 cardio session)
Thur - Bi / Tri (No cardio)
Fri - Rest (1 cardio session)
Sat - Back (No cardio)

Cardio consists of interval style running outside (ugh, 90+ with high humidity) for about 20 to 30 minutes. On the 2 a day sessions it's after waking up and before eating then second is post workout. Rest of the time, it's always post workout.

Daily grind of food, eeeeeeeh, it's roughly 2.2k at 40/40/20 (pro/cho/fat). It's a lil skinny perhaps being 5'7" 220 at around 18%, but we'll see. Just about all my cals come from good ol food save 500 in whey / casein blend shakes split up, one post cardio or workout and the other before bed.

There it is, the black and white of it all. I ain't gonna hide behind words or excuses. It's never been my way since finding the Animal in me. Hell I know there's a mile or more to go, but I'd still like to show them kids that I got fight enough in me. Hell... maybe I'll get up on the stage, we'll see. All I know is there ain't no reserve on this roller coaster.

Bruiser
06-03-11, 8:21 am
Solid looking program you're running here brother. I look froward to seeing how it works for you. Good luck.

BigBlueBear
06-03-11, 9:26 pm
Solid looking program you're running here brother. I look froward to seeing how it works for you. Good luck.

Thanks for dropping in on me, Bruiser. Btw, been loving reading your tips. I reckon I'll have to bother my dad if he knows any farmer buddies with some chickens. By the by...

Had to erase Bi / Tri day since I didn't get in chest yesterday. Workouts are going to be a lil hectic for the next week or two while I try to put together the kids playset. Instructions say it only takes 2 people 20-24 hours. But momma gets what momma wants and the boys will be happy. So today was Chest / Tri. Tomorrow will be Back / Bi.

Chest
BB Incline - 4 sets (12, 12, 10, 8)
BB Flat - 4 sets (10, 8, 8, 6)
Single Xover - 3 sets (12/10, 12/10, 12/10)
(superset bw decline pushups)

Tri
Rope Pulldown - 3 sets (16, 16, 14)
Pushdowns - 3 sets (12 /12, 12/12, 10/10)
(superset)

Tried something different a lil different with my pushdowns that's always worked me over before. Took out the lat bar and worked the inward grip then on the second leg of the superset I put it all the way out to the start of the bend. Always good to feel the tri's getting murdered from different angles so quickly.

Sidenote, fook I love Rage. That is all.

Bruiser
06-04-11, 8:22 am
Not a bad day considering you had to make it up as you went along. Only thing I would change is adding CG Bench at the end. I've found by doing those at the end of tri's, I get a serious swell on. I'll go pretty light and bang out 20-30 reps. Great way to destroy them.

My parents put in a BIG ASS playground for my kids. Their backard looks liike a park though. All the landscaping they (and I) have done over the years I'm surprised they don't charge a seasonal fee and let in the neighbor kids! The set they put up was ridiculous. Climbing wall, monky bars, slide, sandbox, swings, two upper "club houses". WTF?! When I was a kid they had an old used steel swing set that everyitme I would swing the poles would comeout of the ground. I was afraid to use the slide becasue of tetanus!! lol Good luck putting yours together. I'm sure the kids will love it.

Big C
06-04-11, 9:43 am
I know you've been on this board for a long time now bro. Good luck with your new goals and training! Stay focused.

BigBlueBear
06-04-11, 2:35 pm
Not a bad day considering you had to make it up as you went along. Only thing I would change is adding CG Bench at the end. I've found by doing those at the end of tri's, I get a serious swell on. I'll go pretty light and bang out 20-30 reps. Great way to destroy them.

My parents put in a BIG ASS playground for my kids. Their backard looks liike a park though. All the landscaping they (and I) have done over the years I'm surprised they don't charge a seasonal fee and let in the neighbor kids! The set they put up was ridiculous. Climbing wall, monky bars, slide, sandbox, swings, two upper "club houses". WTF?! When I was a kid they had an old used steel swing set that everyitme I would swing the poles would comeout of the ground. I was afraid to use the slide becasue of tetanus!! lol Good luck putting yours together. I'm sure the kids will love it.

I was tempted to throw in CG's there, but I didn't want to put too much more on my chest. I usually work them in every other or every third week. You're right though, they will totally blow you up. I usually just put one plate on and just go like you said, reps reps reps. Hell of a way to finish off your pump.

Also sounds like your parents got the same deal as us. I swear this thing could be used as an Ark if worse comes to worse. I do miss the days of the old metal ones with the creaking seasaw swing.

I know you've been on this board for a long time now bro. Good luck with your new goals and training! Stay focused.

Thanks Big C. It's good to be back and stomping around.

Onwards to today. Got up with the kids, choked down some oatmeal and blueberries to get the body started. Popped me some Rage about an hour later and was quickly into working Back / Bi's. Lats feel alright, but my lower back is toast. Good Mornings = Good Night for my back today.

Back
bw pullups - 4 (10,8,8,8)
bb rows - 4 (10,10,8,8)
rear lat pulldown - 4 (10,10,10,10)
good mornings - 4 (10,10,8,6)

Bi's
straight bar preacher - 4 (12,10,10,9)
cable concentrations - 4 (10,12,10,10)

Didn't throw in another set of bi's for as much as I used them between pullups and lat pulls. I regret it a lil bit, but I'll go back in later tonight after the kids go to bed and do some wrist work I think. I'll throw in a set of reverse curls there and call it good. Ah the advantages of a home setup.

BigBlueBear
06-06-11, 1:26 am
Uuuugh, humidity. Damned if I don't hate it and love it. Least I don't have to work in it, but I do have to do cardio. Enough bitching... I got the job done. Also got the shoulders put in today and that's about all I'll claim.

rear standing press - 4 (12,10,10,6)
upright rows - 4 (10,10,10,8)
bb front raises - 4 (12,12,10,10)
rear cable ext - 4 (10,10,10,10)

I didn't feel as gassed as I had liked to, but I didn't want to keep at it and do too much. 16 is about the max I'll do sets wise for shoulders. Didn't get the traps too too hard, but I'll get them in the next session. Also hoping to get some handles and plates this week to get myself setup in the house. Just grabbing #2 through #5's right now and will just build off that.

Bruiser
06-06-11, 7:22 am
Also hoping to get some handles and plates this week to get myself setup in the house. Just grabbing #2 through #5's right now and will just build off that.

That's a good plan. A lot of guys won't build a home gym because they think they need everything at once. I've been putting mine together little by little and it's coming together real nice over the last month. Enjoy yours bro. It sounds like you're gonna make good use out of it.

BigBlueBear
06-07-11, 2:38 am
That's a good plan. A lot of guys won't build a home gym because they think they need everything at once. I've been putting mine together little by little and it's coming together real nice over the last month. Enjoy yours bro. It sounds like you're gonna make good use out of it.

I'll tear the fool out of it once I finally get a hold of it all. Been looking at some used equipment stores but I just can't seem to get some plates together that I'd use. I might just buy them all used and do the damage to them myself. We'll see what the boss lady says.

Moving on, but not so much.... Leg day. Wasn't the best as I spent half the day at the dentist getting some cavities worked on. Between the numb mouth and the induced headache, it was a crap session. Got it done though.

leg extensions - 4 (15,15,12,12)
standing curls - 4 (12,12,10,10)
zerker squats - 4 (15,15,11,9)
lying curls - 4 (10,9,7,8)
calf raises - 100 total (30,30,20,20,20)

Very little rest at all is used on leg day and I love to use volume. Especially no rest on calf raises as I give it about 10 seconds between sets and hurt them some more. I'm always switching up my position during as I feel it, but I don't have any break point where I say "YOU MUST CHANGE". My body will tell me, that's it's job.

I know I didn't put a lot of work on my calves, but generally I don't in the first place. I've got some decent size there and always get them to respond well (I ain't no House though!). Still looking to add an upright leg press though so I can get real brutal on them baby cows.

Big C
06-07-11, 8:17 am
Lookin strong bro. I've only tried those Zercher squats once before, those were no joke at all. Blow them legs up man.

BigBlueBear
06-08-11, 3:39 am
Lookin strong bro. I've only tried those Zercher squats once before, those were no joke at all. Blow them legs up man.

Took me only one to fall in love with them. I'm a big fan of ATG squats and there is little to no way to cheat on a squat like that. Been looking to help out a football buddy of mine who likes to play DE and I'm going to give him a variation of them. Just set the catches up a lil higher so when you come down they pick up the bar and you loose the weight. From there I'll have him come up and meet the resistance all over again. This ought to help him more in short explosive part that he'll need coming off the line.

Anyways...

So it was suppose to be a rest day, but the wife took the kids out to Chuck E Cheeses with one of her old friends from high school. I stuck around the house to get a few things done and started itching to do something more. Really to be honest my workout doesn't have anything that concentrates on ab work alone. I'd like to keep the waistline small, but I also need to keep some work going there to keep the lower back strong during deads and what not. So I just threw a few things together and just went from there.

Pull-ins - 4 x 10
Planks - 4 x 10
Hanging Raises - 4 x 10
Standing Cable Crunches - 4 x (20,20 ea side,10)
giant set
Side Bends
Hyperextensions

Had to throw a lil bit on the back there. Wouldn't be right all that core work and nothing back there too. Yes, bad me for not resting. I know I need to and I'm half kicking myself. Least I got some cardio in afterwards to do the job over completely.

J Wong
06-08-11, 3:37 pm
Not sure if you remember me, but welcome back!

BigBlueBear
06-09-11, 2:09 am
Not sure if you remember me, but welcome back!

Thanks man, good to be home. Ain't no better place than here.

Speaking of the here and now, today brought on the good ol chest. Thankfully I had some extra hands at the house that can strap me down into my bench shirt so I got to play around in that today. Got a personal best out of it, so I can't be mad at all. Only used it for flat bench though, for shame.

decline bench - 5 x 10
incline - 4 (10,8,6,5)
dips - 4 x (8,10)
superset
decline bw pushups

Pushed 275 for 10, wasn't mad about that at all. Never even put that up before I hurt my shoulder, but damn was it throbbing there on that last two sets. I can also really feel the cut coming in as the energy is half shot come the end of the day now, but I'm sleeping like a baby with the lil dose of melatonin.

Unfortunately though, no cardio got put in today. Did get about 3 hours put in on putting together the boys playset, which totally takes my priority over one day of lost cardio. Love my boys, love the iron life.

Let me tell ya, there ain't nothing better than having a pair of 5 year old twins watching you work out and begging you to hand them a 5lb'r to curl. That or when they say "I want to be as big as daddy when I grow up.". I think I know two little lucky boys that are getting a standard straight bar for Christmas!

Bruiser
06-09-11, 9:06 am
That's awesome. My 5 year old was doing a double bicep/vacuum pose yesterday! We'll have to get our little guys training together! lol I'm dying to see that playground set when you're done (you'll have to post a pic). I'm sure they will love it.

BigBlueBear
06-10-11, 1:05 am
That's awesome. My 5 year old was doing a double bicep/vacuum pose yesterday! We'll have to get our little guys training together! lol I'm dying to see that playground set when you're done (you'll have to post a pic). I'm sure they will love it.

Totally saw that on your journey the other day and meant to reply. Had arm day today, but got some work done on the playground. Base and frame is all together, so of course I had to stand in the middle of the backyard and do military presses with it. All my wife could do is shake her head, she understands everything is a piece of equipment to me.

Speaking of arms... holy crap someone rip my left one off. My shoulder is half shot from pressing yesterday. Still didn't keep me from my work though.

ezbar curls - 4 (12,10,10,8)
seated curls - 4 (10,10,10,8)
preachers - 4 (8,8,6,8)

close grip bench - 4 (8,10,10,10)
single arm cable pulldown - 4 (10,10,10,10)

I wish I could have gotten more done with cg's, but my delt was just screaming at me so I had to back off the weight and reps. My body is reminding me why I don't do dips anymore. Damn do I need those dumbbells to change up my chest day.

Bruiser
06-10-11, 7:43 am
Go to Walmart and pick up a set of DB handles. They usually carry the Gold's Gym ones with the spinlock ends for $5 each. Then just start picking up some plates here and there. Trust me, it'll be worth it. All I had from X-Mas 2010 to May 1st was a set of DBs and there's a lot you can do with just those.

BigBlueBear
06-10-11, 4:59 pm
Go to Walmart and pick up a set of DB handles. They usually carry the Gold's Gym ones with the spinlock ends for $5 each. Then just start picking up some plates here and there. Trust me, it'll be worth it. All I had from X-Mas 2010 to May 1st was a set of DBs and there's a lot you can do with just those.

I've already got my eye's on some prostyle's. My problem with the spin locks is during seated curls and what not, I like to rest the bells on my quads for just a short bit then come back in quickly with no rest. Spin locks aren't going to let me do that at all.

I'm getting ready to leave the house right now and head to Play It Again Sports with $150 worth of vanilla gift cards. Guess who's coming back with a truck ton of standard plates to build his dumbbells?

BigBlueBear
06-14-11, 4:40 am
Missed getting on the Forvm for a day, just how it goes. Love being here, love being able to detach the cord too. Anyways... nothing much to say about Sunday's shoulder day. Was wrestling with one of my boys Friday and definitely hurt my shoulder some. So all I really got done was some seated presses and a truck load of cable work into giant sets. It's feeling better, but Wednesday will be the test with chest.

Today was Legs though, which is always a fun one. Kick the volume down a little today and went with little to no rest between sets. Didn't get that gorging volume pump, but I was sweating hard and staggering up the stairs by the end.

Legs
leg extensions - 5 x 10
single extensions - 5 x 10
zerkers - 5 x 10
lunges - 4 x 10
lying curls - 4 (12,10,8,7)
step calf raises - 30,20,20,20

Not sure if I really got all I wanted done since I'm not feeling so thick through my legs right now. Gotta change the pattern around though, so I'll take a day of some work.