PDA

View Full Version : Why can't people respect the gym?

Tiny1102
06-05-11, 4:21 pm
It drives me crazy that people cannot rack the plates when they are done using them. I think it is even more crazy that someone will takes plates from one side of the gym to the other. When the same equipment was already there. If I use it I put it back. When I used to train at Bally's I would have to walk all over the place and get enough 45 pound plates to use to bench or leg press. Once I was done. I would put them back. Everyone should do the same. If you can't respect the gym, then go somewhere else or just stay home.

zubda345
06-05-11, 7:16 pm
It drives me crazy that people cannot rack the plates when they are done using them. I think it is even more crazy that someone will takes plates from one side of the gym to the other. When the same equipment was already there. If I use it I put it back. When I used to train at Bally's I would have to walk all over the place and get enough 45 pound plates to use to bench or leg press. Once I was done. I would put them back. Everyone should do the same. If you can't respect the gym, then go somewhere else or just stay home.

i also hate tgose ppl tiny. But one things for sure, if u r a true lifter u will see gym as ir home and will always keep it good. I know i do. Back in time when i was real buddies with the gym keeper i used toclean the gym and sort the plates and dumbbells with him. Butthat has changed alot (my frndship withthe gym keeper) that is the respect i have for gym.

Enforcer
06-05-11, 7:24 pm
I couldnt agree more Tiny, if you use the weight put it back, its not that hard

rocky36
06-05-11, 7:52 pm
i agree with you all,but normally when i go the place looks like a tornado went threw it so i dont even bother, i leave it the way i find it, if its clean ill put them back, if not oh well.

SailinScotty
06-05-11, 8:22 pm
I'm with you. I've started going to a new location and its horrible. I used to try and clean up around me during my rest but this place I would never get any lifting done. Oh well I still try to do my part and keep my area racked and organized.

Big Al
06-05-11, 8:25 pm
My gym is nice because we have 100lb plates in the leg room...they stay there.lol
I hate we lazy people cant take the weight off the bar when done. an yes I say the gym is my home and I want a clean house!!!
The dumbells that cant remember where they just got the dumbells from piss me off too.

Big Al
06-05-11, 8:26 pm
an if I got 200lb db's in my hand,dont stand in front of me. Hell dont even stand close to me,if there going there going!!

Big Wides
06-05-11, 10:35 pm
if your big enough to pick up the weights, then your big enough to put them back....it's simple

I hate walking through the gym that is set up like a Ranger obstacle course cause people are fucking lazy...

ToSo
06-05-11, 11:05 pm
Couldn't agree more, luckily I don't have that problem with the gym I train at. The gym owner is like a hawk, watching everyone to make sure everyone re-racks their weights. But I've trained at other gyms and had that problem.

BigBlueBear
06-06-11, 1:50 am
Ballys, oh God Ballys. I had tried to block out all the bad thoughts of DB Island.

cesmeister
06-06-11, 12:22 pm
if your big enough to pick up the weights, then your big enough to put them back....it's simple

I always say that haha

rev8ball
06-06-11, 12:28 pm
I think it's because those asshole slobs don't look at the gym as their home (otherwise, could you imagine what their houses look like!!??); in their eyes, they're not expected to, therefore, someone else will clean it up. ALL of my athletes understand that it is THEIR responsibility to clean up after themselves, whether weights, wiping down the benches, etc. In fact, it is part of their program - they use, they clean. It is not something I ask, it is something that is expected. Period.

prowrestler
06-06-11, 1:21 pm
i will look for ppl who dont put their shit away just to yell at them. it makes me feel like a bigger man and i like hurting their feelings....

or i just want an organised gym to make my own training easy

Madcat
06-06-11, 3:33 pm
I ensure when I see someone who leaves weights on the bars or DBs out I put them back and stare at them the whole time. The local rec center is always the worst, because a lot of those people are simply there because their sig. other is or something, its totally pointless. But I always make sure I clean their stuff right in front of them.

It chapps my balls though for sure.

Big C
06-06-11, 3:44 pm
Saw one guy supersetting 405 on deads out on the floor and bb shrugs in the squat rack at my old gym....

Needless to say he walked away and didn't clean up any of that weight. My friend said he overheard him saying it was the trainers job to pick up the weight. Unbelieveable....

Cellardweller
06-06-11, 5:28 pm
Adults who can't put their toys back in the toy box when they're done drive me crazy. I rolled my ankle on a small black medicine ball and took it to the manager and he said "that's why I have lots of insurance." They don't even care at my gym if shit gets put back.

JasonG
06-06-11, 8:36 pm
What pisses me off also is when people put plates back but 35s over the 45s etc. when there's a fucking stack of 35s right next to it. Then when people shower and don't dry off leaving a puddle in front of the locker.

D-Kev
06-07-11, 3:57 am
Seems this is a universal (no pun intended) problem.
Not only do people mistreat things that don't belong to them, they take things that don't belong to them too...

In my case, someone recently helped themselves to my animal lifting straps!

Do people think it's "hardcore" to disrespect the gym environment?
Because that couldn't be any farther from the truth.

DayDream
06-07-11, 9:04 am
Exactly what I was thinking to myself when I walked into my gym the other day, I had never seen it in such a bad state.. And there were two guys working in the gym and I couldn't help think (as I was putting all the shit back into the right places) that they should be keeping the place in order.. And it's getting worse, other day I was training chest, went to pick up some 35s and instead they were 22's, looked where the 22's where and there where 30's! Thats when I started getting pissed..

BigAnt
06-07-11, 11:09 am
Very true Tiny!

I see at the Retro Fitness once in a while people leave weighs loaded on Hammer Strength machine and dumbbells scatter the floor....WTF?

Aggression
06-07-11, 11:16 am
I've re-racked plates ever since my first steps in any gym. However, I sometimes leave a single 45lb'er on the leg press. Because .. well .. c'mon.

Tiny1102
06-07-11, 1:51 pm
Love the feed back. I really don't say much to our customers, but I do walk around and put weight back all the time. I try to do it and make others see me doing it. Hopefully, they will get the message.

zubda345
06-07-11, 1:56 pm
Love the feed back. I really don't say much to our customers, but I do walk around and put weight back all the time. I try to do it and make others see me doing it. Hopefully, they will get the message.

No one got my message when I did that! they didn't even bothered moving their hands to put the dumbbells back!

JasonG
06-07-11, 2:41 pm
I've re-racked plates ever since my first steps in any gym. However, I sometimes leave a single 45lb'er on the leg press. Because .. well .. c'mon.

I don't think that's a big deal at all. Depending on the gym 45s left on the hammer strength stuff might not be a big deal either but I clean those off because I've seen people press less. I'd much rather pull a 45 off than have them buried behind 10s and/or 25s on a rack.

Aggression
06-07-11, 2:58 pm
I don't think that's a big deal at all. Depending on the gym 45s left on the hammer strength stuff might not be a big deal either but I clean those off because I've seen people press less. I'd much rather pull a 45 off than have them buried behind 10s and/or 25s on a rack.

Agreed.

SailinScotty
06-07-11, 5:39 pm
This is sorda along the lines of respect the gym. Not trying to thead jack though either. Last week I went in to do my DL day. My gym only has two decent spots to DL, in front of the squat rack or power cage. I try and use the cage to keep the squat rack open when I can. Anyways since both of those were used up for ppl squatting, shocker in itself, and they had quite a few reps left, I decided to just use the space behind the decline bench and that bar. I was out of the way and it was working just fine. These two kids were doing flat bench and kept looking around the pole. Once they were done they moved their bar over and pretty much had whoevers was spotting's ass would be in my face. I just gave them both a dirty look as they were racking the waits. One of the guys squatting came over and said he was done, so I racked it all up and moved. I wouldn't have had any problem moving over if they would have asked. I also have no problem with ppl working in. Would you have said something? I have a tendency to say things in an asshole way so I just left my headphones in.

BigKaine
06-08-11, 8:33 pm
This is sorda along the lines of respect the gym. Not trying to thead jack though either. Last week I went in to do my DL day. My gym only has two decent spots to DL, in front of the squat rack or power cage. I try and use the cage to keep the squat rack open when I can. Anyways since both of those were used up for ppl squatting, shocker in itself, and they had quite a few reps left, I decided to just use the space behind the decline bench and that bar. I was out of the way and it was working just fine. These two kids were doing flat bench and kept looking around the pole. Once they were done they moved their bar over and pretty much had whoevers was spotting's ass would be in my face. I just gave them both a dirty look as they were racking the waits. One of the guys squatting came over and said he was done, so I racked it all up and moved. I wouldn't have had any problem moving over if they would have asked. I also have no problem with ppl working in. Would you have said something? I have a tendency to say things in an asshole way so I just left my headphones in.

hahah i dont know if i would have said anything man but the way i deal with it is by knowing that the reason they dont just ask you to move or talk to you about the situation in general is because they are not confident enough to even discuss or socialize with people they dont know. just insecure ppl that would rather be rude and disrupt someones workout than be friendly and work it out in everyone's favor.

haha if it happens again just rage out and throw a 45lbs plate at their face. RAAGGEEE! lmao jk

Tiny1102
06-09-11, 10:43 am
What pisses me off also is when people put plates back but 35s over the 45s etc. when there's a fucking stack of 35s right next to it. Then when people shower and don't dry off leaving a puddle in front of the locker.

Yes, I just love the fools who put 10's where the 45's go.

DR@g0nB100d76
06-09-11, 12:03 pm
I agree. This is why I have not stepped back into a gym. Along with being crowded. I train at home. I hate waiting for people who socialize and trash the place. My shit takes only 30-45 min tops, not including if I have a cardio session. I lift hard and fast as I can and get the hell out.

flappysr
06-09-11, 8:42 pm

Well early this morning (0200hrs) while I was training @ 24hours Gym after my 4pm till midnight shift. I was doing barbell shrugs in the power rack (315lbs x's till failure). I noticed 3, yes 3 of those foamy back things that go on the barbell for squats? Yes these things were hazards, accidents just waiting for someone to trip and fall over. Also during the course of my training I noticed numerous water bottles just sitting around the equipment. Once again more hazards just laying around due to lazy people. There are numerous trash bins in the gym for these people to put their own trash in. Well I guess that the gym attendant and cleaning crew just missed these items or maybe not. As the gym attendant was busy workout in the gym area anyway. The cleaning was busy walking around the gym floor doing something like surveying the area around the gym??? Didn't seem to be picking any items up as they were still there after I departed the gym...........Well anyway I must not let this "Mickey Mouse" stuff get to me as I've got a 3 lift meet to go to next week. Squat/Deadlift openers done, now all that I left is the Bench press opener later this week........................ DeadLift Conventional or go home..........................

Cranky
06-10-11, 11:36 am
I hate seeing a weight tree all disheveled w/ plates everywhere. I often find myself fixing those weights cause I feel If the assholes behind the desk are too busy getting paid to text than do their job, these plates will forever stay a jumbled mess. Just in my nature to fix whats wrong. I try not to be to noticable though, cause I feel like a bitch doing it.

IronWilson
06-12-11, 2:38 am
Listen guys, I train chest and biceps on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. After I am done with all those curls and bench pressing, I don't have enough time or energy to put those plates away. If you want to use it, you can take the plates off. I am on a mission. I'm not going to ruin my workout because someone wants to use the power rack to squat after I just got done curling on it. It's not my problem. Don't be lazy.

cesmeister
06-13-11, 8:48 am
Listen guys, I train chest and biceps on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. After I am done with all those curls and bench pressing, I don't have enough time or energy to put those plates away. If you want to use it, you can take the plates off. I am on a mission. I'm not going to ruin my workout because someone wants to use the power rack to squat after I just got done curling on it. It's not my problem. Don't be lazy.

hahaha. i love the inside joke of curling in the squat rack on here

Tiny1102
06-13-11, 9:41 am

This is so WRONG..

Tiny1102
06-13-11, 9:42 am
Its to bad there are not a bunch of Animals training at all gyms.

IronWilson
06-13-11, 6:16 pm
This is so WRONG..

Sadly it is how people in gyms all across the world feel.

Tiny1102
06-16-11, 12:41 pm
Sadly it is how people in gyms all across the world feel.

I just thought the fact that my gym is a hardcore gym. That people would respect it more. Funny thing is the ones you think would respect it most, do not.

Kain81
06-16-11, 3:28 pm
I walked up to a guy at they gym who had just left three sets of dumbells out and walked away and said:

"Does you mother work out here??"

He looked at me like any of you would when a stranger mentions your mother.
I then continued...

"because I was wondering who was going to pick up after you"

Without a word said, he went back and re-racked the 6 dumbells.

Give it a try some time. it's golden.

Theonidus
06-16-11, 3:47 pm

Besides, I get too sweaty putting everything away in my jeans and wool hat/backwards hat.

Roughneck
06-16-11, 4:01 pm
This is one of my biggest problem with some gyms. I just moved to my town and tried out a new gym. It was a Globogym type place and plates were strewn around everywhere. Nothing organized. plates put away in the wrong places.. terrible. The worst part is that there were personal trainers standing around training people and just didnt seem to care. I get it.. if an average lifter doesn't put the weights away, they dont have the respect for the weights that we do. But its these peoples place of employment. have some respect. I really just cant believe it sometimes. They asked me if i would get a membership on my way out and I told them... hell no.

Tiny1102
06-16-11, 6:12 pm
Good job

I walked up to a guy at they gym who had just left three sets of dumbells out and walked away and said:

I then continued...

jeffelander
06-16-11, 6:28 pm

I then continued...

Using this one for sure. good stuff

Machine
06-16-11, 8:54 pm
Maybe he picks up the dumbbells...or maybe he shoots you in the face in the parking lot. Either way the result is interesting and not ordinary.

MACHINE

zubda345
06-17-11, 3:14 am
Maybe he picks up the dumbbells...or maybe he shoots you in the face in the parking lot. Either way the result is interesting and not ordinary.

MACHINE

lol

Cranky
06-17-11, 1:15 pm

MACHINE

This makes me think of a incident I had at my gym. This skinny little f@g has the smith, a mat, 3 sets of dumbbells, an incline bench, and a swiss ball. There is a dude using the 2nd pair of 35s and this little prick is doing Tae-bo or some shit by the smith.I go over and grab the 35s from 'his' area.He starts telling me to go fuck myself and Im a asshole for taking them.I explaned the situation as the other dude was using the other pair and since he was doing this and that, I could bang out a set of concentration curls. Dont you know it but he told me off again, he had to do his P-90X. Now I had a good swell on and told him not to disrespect me again or I wouldnt be so passive next time.
Yet all I could think about after was that this little prick was going to slice my tires or cap me in the head while Im putting on my gear in the locker room. People are crazy out there.

zubda345
06-17-11, 2:33 pm
This makes me think of a incident I had at my gym. This skinny little f@g has the smith, a mat, 3 sets of dumbbells, an incline bench, and a swiss ball. There is a dude using the 2nd pair of 35s and this little prick is doing Tae-bo or some shit by the smith.I go over and grab the 35s from 'his' area.He starts telling me to go fuck myself and Im a asshole for taking them.I explaned the situation as the other dude was using the other pair and since he was doing this and that, I could bang out a set of concentration curls. Dont you know it but he told me off again, he had to do his P-90X. Now I had a good swell on and told him not to disrespect me again or I wouldnt be so passive next time.
Yet all I could think about after was that this little prick was going to slice my tires or cap me in the head while Im putting on my gear in the locker room. People are crazy out there.

U should have slapped and beat the shit out him, I know I would have.... no matter what he'll do just file a complain against him...

Gorilla.
06-17-11, 2:52 pm
well my highschool gym is always hurricane central, usually i just leave it messy when i lift and then when im done, i obviously have so much energy from RAGE i may aswell take a little time to rack everything which is so fun, its almost like another workout in itself!! haha

SailinScotty
06-17-11, 3:02 pm

Yes they are. Did you at least ask if you could use them real quick. Most ppl I've asked usually have no problem with it.

U should have slapped and beat the shit out him, I know I would have.... no matter what he'll do just file a complain against him...

What would have this proved and done to help the situation. Take the anger out on the weights.

well my highschool gym is always hurricane central, usually i just leave it messy when i lift and then when im done, i obviously have so much energy from RAGE i may aswell take a little time to rack everything which is so fun, its almost like another workout in itself!! haha

I like this. Nice job and way to lead by example.

Appollonian
06-17-11, 3:08 pm
This thread highlights some good/bad points (whichever way you look at it...). But it's not just fellow gym-goers that are the culprit, either.

Some of the employees at my gym do the typical 'cleaning/arranging' saved for closing time in the middle of the day. Between my deadlift sets Sunday,this guy tried to pull a 45 lb plate off my bar as I was about to grab it. I just said "excuse me, but I'm not done yet" and he said "Oh, I thought you were finished". I've had multiple 'run ins', including another employee who almost turned my treadmill off until I yelled 'Hey, not finished yet!' He said the gym is closing soon, even though there was 20 minutes left...

zubda345
06-17-11, 4:21 pm
What would have this proved and done to help the situation. Take the anger out on the weights.

This would have taught him a lesson!

Cranky
06-17-11, 6:19 pm

As much as Id of loved to have beat him down, Im not a young man any more. I used to feel bulletproof, but now Id lose everything going to jail... cause thats exactly where Id wind up.

Sprint
06-17-11, 6:43 pm
This is one of my biggest problem with some gyms. I just moved to my town and tried out a new gym. It was a Globogym type place and plates were strewn around everywhere. Nothing organized. plates put away in the wrong places.. terrible. The worst part is that there were personal trainers standing around training people and just didnt seem to care. I get it.. if an average lifter doesn't put the weights away, they dont have the respect for the weights that we do. But its these peoples place of employment. have some respect. I really just cant believe it sometimes. They asked me if i would get a membership on my way out and I told them... hell no.

I hear that right there man. I work as a PT & seem to spend almost as much time training clients as cleaning the place up. I don't let any of my clients get away with not putting their shit away either, regardless of if they're in for a session with me or by themselves.
Only thing is, my colleagues contribute to the problem. 1 incident last week in particular summed things up with the worst PT (and at the same time, 1 of the worst people I've ever had the misfortune to meet with regards to cleaning shit up in a gym).
Fuck knows if he was even using the cage, but what he'd done was take 2 aerobics steps, placed 1 on top of the other, slapped a couple of 10kg plates on top of that, put a 3rd step on top of that, and topped the whole thing off with a couple more 10kg plates. Once he was done doing whatever gimmicky useless shit he was doing with the steps/plates arrangement, he'd just walked off and left them there.
Now, why do I mention the cage? Because he'd left his pile of shit directly in front of it, so close that even by turning sideways, you couldn't squeeze into the actual cage itself.

Problem seems to be, most pt's take the view that because they're "qualified fitness professionals", it's somehow considered to be demeaning to clean shit away in the gym, even if they got it out to begin with. That's why the gym employs cleaners. The same pt's then complain about the gym being a shit hole, and miss the irony of them complaining about a bar being left in the middle of the gym whilst stepping over a pair of dumbells that they themselves left out 30 minutes ago.

Carrnage
06-17-11, 9:12 pm

Its a workout by itself loading up the bar or leg press, then taking them back off and re racking them.

But i feel ya.

zubda345
06-18-11, 12:42 am
Yeah! when I gotta load up plates on legpress I get a full body warmup...

Machine
06-18-11, 9:58 pm
Fellas...

Let's remember that as much as we want to teach people a well deserved lesson; there is always the possibility that the tail can wag the dog. You never know what a man is capable of until you turn his rock over. I say try to take the high road lest you confirm people's already warped image of what and who we are by pounding some dude's face in like a caveman.

Just my 2 cents.

MACHINE

SailinScotty
06-18-11, 10:38 pm
Fellas...

Let's remember that as much as we want to teach people a well deserved lesson; there is always the possibility that the tail can wag the dog. You never know what a man is capable of until you turn his rock over. I say try to take the high road lest you confirm people's already warped image of what and who we are by pounding some dude's face in like a caveman.

Just my 2 cents.

MACHINE

Well said.

Tiny1102
06-22-11, 10:31 pm
Well said.

Very true. I will keep pounding.

MRmichael.hooker
06-23-11, 9:20 am

Thought about this this morning when i opened up. The db rack was all messed up. The 65's were where the 45's go, the 45's were laying on the floor, the 5's were where the 15's go. Plates on the squat bar, random plates put on barbells, weights left on the leg press, weights left on the calf raise... really? In the ab room, there are signs everywhere asking to return your plates from the hyperextension, yet every morning there they are, on the wood, non padded, non carpeted floor. Douche bags

Tiny1102
06-23-11, 10:13 am
Thought about this this morning when i opened up. The db rack was all messed up. The 65's were where the 45's go, the 45's were laying on the floor, the 5's were where the 15's go. Plates on the squat bar, random plates put on barbells, weights left on the leg press, weights left on the calf raise... really? In the ab room, there are signs everywhere asking to return your plates from the hyperextension, yet every morning there they are, on the wood, non padded, non carpeted floor. Douche bags

Last night, when I got to my gym. There were 100's on a deadlift bar in the power rack, and 12 45's left on a squat machine. I have plates placed all though my gym near whatever the person is going to use. What I hate is when they will take a plate from the other side of the gym to the other, when there were plates already there. The gym life.

Cellardweller
06-23-11, 12:55 pm
The trainers at my gym just leave everything too. You'd think they'd want to teach people to clean up. I'm learning to stomach it. And like Machine said, we don't want to perpetuate the meathead stereotype either. "I lift things up and put them down." Just set an example.

JasonG
06-23-11, 1:35 pm
I agree. I will rearrange plates to where they should be as long as it isn't totally fucked and doesn't take up too much time in my workout. When I do, I hope someone notices that maybe just didn't think anything of it before and change their habits. The problem is I don't think very many people care at my gym so don't see it spreading...

Universal Rep
06-23-11, 1:38 pm
I think people need to start respectin' themselves more before they can respect the people and things around 'em...

JasonG
06-23-11, 1:50 pm
I think people need to start respectin' themselves more before they can respect the people and things around 'em...

Good point.

Tiny1102
06-25-11, 11:55 am
Yes, everyone says they want it, but most these days don't give it.

N. Motta
06-26-11, 2:39 pm
Because respect is dead. Everyone has the mentality that, there membership dues entitle them to leave weights out for others, toss empty water bottles on the floor, and not flush their piss after using the urinals.

Case in point...

Saw one guy supersetting 405 on deads out on the floor and bb shrugs in the squat rack at my old gym....

Needless to say he walked away and didn't clean up any of that weight. My friend said he overheard him saying it was the trainers job to pick up the weight. Unbelieveable....

Seriously fucking pisses me off. Makes me want to commit violent acts, and I'm not a violent person. I love our generation of males that call themselves "men".

Appollonian
06-26-11, 2:52 pm
Because respect is dead. Everyone has the mentality that, there membership dues entitle them to leave weights out for others, toss empty water bottles on the floor, and not flush their piss after using the urinals.

Case in point...

Seriously fucking pisses me off. Makes me want to commit violent acts, and I'm not a violent person. I love our generation of males that call themselves "men".

Never give up, never lose hope, always be the example. Sure we can't go around beating down whoever is disrespectful in the gym, but we can do the right thing when we are working out.

Tiny1102
06-26-11, 3:42 pm
Never give up, never lose hope, always be the example. Sure we can't go around beating down whoever is disrespectful in the gym, but we can do the right thing when we are working out.

I will never give up, because it is my gym. Even if it was not, I would still do it.

N. Motta
06-26-11, 11:00 pm

I agree brother. But, to a very measureable point, I have given up.

I'm going on three years working for a local Golds Gym. I hate the place. Even though I get a free membership.

I take my money elsewhere, cross town. A tiny gym. Where the equipment is basic, the attitude is friendly, yet serious. And all the members take great pride in the gym, as if we each own a piece of it.

I love telling people I get a free membership to a Golds, and I pay to go somewhere else. :)

Appollonian
06-27-11, 7:49 am

I'm going on three years working for a local Golds Gym. I hate the place. Even though I get a free membership.

I take my money elsewhere, cross town. A tiny gym. Where the equipment is basic, the attitude is friendly, yet serious. And all the members take great pride in the gym, as if we each own a piece of it.

I love telling people I get a free membership to a Golds, and I pay to go somewhere else. :)

I was mostly speaking from a philosophical standpoint; to have a point of view that for you personally you will exemplify the standards you hold everyone else to. I am fully willing to admit certain places/people are hopeless and may never change, but all we can really do is personally do what we can.

I've switched gyms for reasons similar to what has been said. The workers who have little/no knowledge of the gym, trainers who are rude to everyone, even their clients (they talk to their clients when training, other people, staring into space, etc.), people that leave weights laying around.

I remember my wife and I were working out, she was in the middle of her set of wide grip pulldowns, and a trainer/class leader walked up and said "hey, come to my class! You'll get a lot more out of it than working out with him!". I was speechless; I just said excuse me, we're in the middle of working out and I gave her the biggest f*** you look I could give someone, and she still said "I bet you haven't had any results with him, but with me you will"! I almost pulled the pulldown station over. I told her to go away and never bother us again... still works me up thinking about it.

The new gym has friendly workers and trainers, and the other gym goers are respectfull... to a point. There is still a few bad apples, but for a majority of the people/workers, it's good.

MRmichael.hooker
06-27-11, 8:02 am

YUP. People ask me all the time why i work for a gym, get a free membership to all 6 clubs, yet pay to train somewhere else. I just tell them i need a big boy gym, but the truth is, people there respect the equipment. I have never had 1 workout where i went to a bench and there was weights on it, or the tree had random plates (a 45, a 10, a 35, a 45, and a 5). Even at the 24hr gym by my house, ill find myself fixing shit like this, putting 25 lb plates with 25lb plates, etc. Ive figured if i cant control what others do, ill make sure im never the problem.

N. Motta
06-27-11, 11:44 am
YUP. People ask me all the time why i work for a gym, get a free membership to all 6 clubs, yet pay to train somewhere else. I just tell them i need a big boy gym, but the truth is, people there respect the equipment. I have never had 1 workout where i went to a bench and there was weights on it, or the tree had random plates (a 45, a 10, a 35, a 45, and a 5). Even at the 24hr gym by my house, ill find myself fixing shit like this, putting 25 lb plates with 25lb plates, etc. Ive figured if i cant control what others do, ill make sure im never the problem.

Hell yea man.

Oz_78
06-28-11, 7:40 am
"Dont shit where you eat!"

Plain and simple...have some respect for your brothers (and sisters) and put your f##king plates away. If youre big enough to lift it, you're big enough to put it away.

Not sure about others, but for myself is basically second nature to put plates (and tidy up) as I'm finishing my set at that station. Thankfully, the gym I'm training at now its not so bad..previous gym, complete different story.

solomon_caine
06-28-11, 7:19 pm
people at my gym, when they get tired don't even bother to return the plates, claiming that they're exhausted. I mean, c'mon, man, you brought it there when you got here; at least have the decency to put it back. definitely agree with you guys here. certain people don't got no respect for the iron den.

Tiny1102
06-28-11, 8:50 pm
"Dont shit where you eat!"

Plain and simple...have some respect for your brothers (and sisters) and put your f##king plates away. If youre big enough to lift it, you're big enough to put it away.

Not sure about others, but for myself is basically second nature to put plates (and tidy up) as I'm finishing my set at that station. Thankfully, the gym I'm training at now its not so bad..previous gym, complete different story.

If youre big enough to lift it, you're big enough to put it away. THAT IS GOING ON MY WALL!!

Tiny1102
06-28-11, 8:52 pm
people at my gym, when they get tired don't even bother to return the plates, claiming that they're exhausted. I mean, c'mon, man, you brought it there when you got here; at least have the decency to put it back. definitely agree with you guys here. certain people don't got no respect for the iron den.

Hardest part of my leg press and bench work. Man, that is a lot of plates, but I put them all back.

Sprint
06-29-11, 9:54 am
Hardest part of my leg press and bench work. Man, that is a lot of plates, but I put them all back.

I agree, sometimes it's a killer tidying your shit up. But I still do it, end of. I still struggle to understand how anybody can have the cheek to just put the bar down in the middle of the room and just walk off.

Roughneck
06-29-11, 11:21 am
There has been alot of talk on here about respect. and i think that is what it comes down to.If your working out or your a PT or whatever. Some people have respect and some people dont. Its unfortunate that i think alot of people have a sense of entitlement to leave things strewn about. it seems like the problem is only getting worse to. its almost like a cancer.

N. Motta
06-29-11, 12:22 pm
Well said.

It's the whole, 'Well this was left out when I found it.' Or 'Why should I put stuff away when no one else does.'

I better get out of this thread, it's getting my all worked up before I got to work; at a commercial gym, where this behavior is the norm.

Tiny1102
06-29-11, 10:08 pm
It also starts with the staff. If they are not going to do it, then there is the problem.

FewL4no1
07-09-11, 10:08 pm
I haven't posted on the FORVM in a while, but I had to vent somewhere about my frustration with lack of gym etiquette. Good to see others feel my pain!

My gym isn't as bad as others on here. There is usually 135 left on a few bench presses, and sometimes weights are out of order, but generally, its kept fairly tidy, and there are a lot of older guys who have respect for the gym.

However, I was performing preacher curls today, and in the middle of my set and using the mirror to watch my form, somebody stands in front of me and starts doing a set of shoulder raises. Personally, I try very hard to walk behind and around people instead of between them and the mirror, so when I this happened, I was just shocked more than upset.

There is also a white line in front of the DB racks that is there to show people where to stand behind so others can grab weights, and I can't tell you how many times people stand right where they grab their weights. Especially when they see you standing and waiting, and they don't move. I have just started laughing and shaking my head at this point, because the lack of solipsism is just astounding.

Anyways, glad to get that off my chest! Hope life is treating you guys well.

metfan
07-09-11, 10:47 pm
Great thread, glad to see i am not alone in thinking this.

Personally I have doing this deal on/off for 20+ years and I think the biggest issue is that back when I started training it was truly hardcore and everyone respected the gym. You always tidied up, never left weights on benches, DB's were always in order and as mentioned before, we treated it as something we owned.

With the influx of "FITNESS" clubs I find is where the degradation of gym respect and proper etiquette came from. Now you have all walks of life in there that are in such a hurry to get in and out and they truly believe that the staff is there to pick up after them.

If they came from the gyms we went to 20 years ago, they would have known that it was wrong and you better believe someone would step up and tell them to pick their damn weights up or they might end up eating a DB. Just how it was and I believe was the best way. Right now I endure where I go as I have little ones and it is just more cost effective to pay a family membership where they have a multitude of activities to participate in, but once they get a bit older I will be on the hunt for something a little more old school and where I know that everyone does not NEED to read the rules, they just KNOW.

Operator
07-11-11, 10:38 am
lmao finally. I hate when people leave the rack with a plate or two. Then everyone looks at me funny as im unracking their rack for them, or ill call them out on it.

MRmichael.hooker
07-11-11, 10:43 am
Had few guys complain to me this morning about a member who was sweating to an extreme, and just leaving it. One of the guys said "no, come walk with me real quick to the free weight room" There was sweat EVERYWHERE! all over the bench, floor, just gross. Plus he was leaving weights laying around too. What a jackass

Appollonian
07-11-11, 1:30 pm
Great thread, glad to see i am not alone in thinking this.

Personally I have doing this deal on/off for 20+ years and I think the biggest issue is that back when I started training it was truly hardcore and everyone respected the gym. You always tidied up, never left weights on benches, DB's were always in order and as mentioned before, we treated it as something we owned.

With the influx of "FITNESS" clubs I find is where the degradation of gym respect and proper etiquette came from. Now you have all walks of life in there that are in such a hurry to get in and out and they truly believe that the staff is there to pick up after them.

If they came from the gyms we went to 20 years ago, they would have known that it was wrong and you better believe someone would step up and tell them to pick their damn weights up or they might end up eating a DB. Just how it was and I believe was the best way. Right now I endure where I go as I have little ones and it is just more cost effective to pay a family membership where they have a multitude of activities to participate in, but once they get a bit older I will be on the hunt for something a little more old school and where I know that everyone does not NEED to read the rules, they just KNOW.

I started lifting within the 20 year time frame, but whether it was because I had my 10 year older brother than me as a mentor, or because I was taught respect/courtesy growing up, but I treat the gym with respect (rack my weights, don't walk in front of others working out, thoroughly clean up/wipe after myself, share equipment when possible, etc).

As much as I agree with you that the 'fitness' gyms have contributed to the degradation of the overall level of respect in the gym, I don't think anyone can argue that on average the fitness level (in the USA at least) is far too low, and we need to reach a broader audience. I think that we need the more family oriented/fitness type gyms for some, and the more hardcore gyms for the lifting enthusiasts, too. I feel that rules should be in place and enforced, by staff as they make there rounds, by caring brothers and sisters in iron, and by gym management.

Disrespect for the gym in unwarranted, regardless of what you did before or what you will do after you come to the gym.

My gym isn't hardcore but rather a family friendly club, but there is a contigent of people that are more geared towards lifting for more than just health-sake. If I ever need a more hardcore gym I might go elsewhere, but right now I just try and be the best example I can be.

Tiny1102
07-11-11, 8:25 pm
Had few guys complain to me this morning about a member who was sweating to an extreme, and just leaving it. One of the guys said "no, come walk with me real quick to the free weight room" There was sweat EVERYWHERE! all over the bench, floor, just gross. Plus he was leaving weights laying around too. What a jackass

That is nasty.