PDA

View Full Version : Road to Glory

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Theonidus
06-06-11, 7:16 pm
Brothers, this is the beginning of my Journey. While I've been "lifting" for 2 years, most of it has been experimental and my supplementation has been without education. This marks the true start of my journey, where I use the combined knowledge of my brothers of the steel and my will to be better.

My Journey is not to a show, to flat bench X amount of poundage; but to be a beast. I want to have an indomitable presence when I walk into the room, I want to disgust those people who don't understand. I want to fight the good fight, to be a physical force that must be reckoned with when I stand my ground at the Hot Gates.

While this may be unattainable, I believe in setting my vision high, and always have something to work towards with the same fervor I have today.

I seek your help, brothers, as I set foot into the gym and kitchen with a newly found fury, focus, and intensity.

Theonidus
06-06-11, 9:28 pm
I'm going to follow G-Diesel's split for a while. I like the idea of incorporating a day of rest into the week, and using the weekends as a full 48-hour rest period.

Back:
Lat Pulldowns (No weight #'s, Gold's Gym has a 2-20 number system for their machines, lol):
1x20 (warm ups)
2x12
1x6

Bent-over Barbell Rows:
1x12 (135)
1x8 (155)
2x8 (at 185, I was shocked)

Facepulls supersetted with Seated Cable Rows:
3x12 each exercise

Dumbell Pullovers:
1x10 (45 lb dbell)
1x8 (65 lb dbell)
1x8 (80 lb dbell)

Deadlifts:
1x10 (135 for warm ups)
2x10 (225)

Seated Calf Raises (heels in, toes pointed out):
4x25-20

Abs:
4 sets, 25 reps

Walked out of Gold's feeling like a marionette puppet who couldn't hold his arms, head, or shoulders up. Time to protein/carb load.

BigBlueBear
06-07-11, 2:22 am
Goals are only unobtainable if you quit reaching for them. You've got the makings and a lot of people here to help you get there. Just keep at it.

Also make sure you're switching up the routine a lil bit with different exercises. Don't let that body get too static, instead get big!

Theonidus
06-07-11, 9:39 am
I try not to keep things the same from week to week. Having the same workout twice in any form doesn't fly well with me. Thanks for the advice, Bear.

ToSo
06-07-11, 10:05 am
"While this may be unattainable," knock that completely out of your mid set bro, anythings possible. Im in...

Theonidus
06-07-11, 10:08 am
"While this may be unattainable," knock that completely out of your mid set bro, anythings possible. Im in...

Great to have you aboard, bro.

Bruiser
06-07-11, 10:18 am
Shake up your calves by doing all three toe positions in one session. Toes pointed in, forward and out. I do 5 sets of 20 reps each position and that blows them up. You hit them with 300 reps and it looks like a basketball got sewn to your leg.

Theonidus
06-07-11, 12:11 pm
You hit them with 300 reps and it looks like a basketball got sewn to your leg.

Should I pack crutches in my gym bag for support on the way to my car? lol This sounds brutal, and obviously needs to be tried.

Phil800101
06-07-11, 1:30 pm
Subbed.

Theonidus
06-07-11, 4:04 pm
Subbed.

Great to have you on board, Phil.

Bruiser
06-07-11, 4:41 pm
Should I pack crutches in my gym bag for support on the way to my car? lol This sounds brutal, and obviously needs to be tried.

Oh yeah they're brutal. I was gonna hit calves again today but they are still kinda sore from Friday!

Theonidus
06-07-11, 5:01 pm
...still kinda sore from Friday!

With that kind of endorsement, what's to keep me from trying them next? Haha.
The whole goal of the new split is to work out calves/forearms 3 times a week. I feel like the combination of having the Animal straps I overused and rarely doing calf raises, they've lagged behind. This is fine during the winter months when they're hidden, but during the summer of shorts and T-shirts these two neglected body parts look a little sad.

T o m m Y
06-07-11, 5:05 pm
With that kind of endorsement, what's to keep me from trying them next? Haha.
The whole goal of the new split is to work out calves/forearms 3 times a week. I feel like the combination of having the Animal straps I overused and rarely doing calf raises, they've lagged behind. This is fine during the winter months when they're hidden, but during the summer of shorts and T-shirts these two neglected body parts look a little sad.

I hear ya on the forearm/calves!
Mine are horrible..
I never use straps EVER and they still suck!

Bruiser
06-07-11, 5:05 pm
Another good workout for calves is to just throw 20-30 lbs in a backpack and wear it around all day. That constant stress will swell 'em up good. I do that when I mow our 1/2 acre lawn (when it's not over 90 degrees). The neghbors give me funny looks, but screw 'em.

Theonidus
06-07-11, 5:08 pm
Another good workout for calves is to just throw 20-30 lbs in a backpack and wear it around all day.

While this would be an awesome calf-burner, I'm interning as a business/management information systems major at ESI this summer. So, my backpack would sit on my back while I sit in meetings or at my desk from 9-5. Haha.

Theonidus
06-08-11, 9:49 am
Tuesday (6/7) was a rest day, and I was finding it difficult to not want to skip the rest and go to the gym.
But my grandmother, who lives in St. Louis, invited me to dinner and we got to catch up. Sanity restored.

However, today is Leg Day. And my knee groaned even before I got out of bed.

Phil800101
06-08-11, 11:34 am
How's the heat down there?

Theonidus
06-08-11, 11:38 am
How's the heat down there?

Heat is killer. I'm accustomed to living in Kennett, MO working on the farm, where the heat is around 105 and humidity is usually up to 95%. It's like swimming and choking when going outside. But my friend wants me to go play soccer with him tomorrow in a pick-up game. Combining legs tonight with the humidity tomorrow may make for my heavy ass heaving on the sidelines. Haha

Phil800101
06-08-11, 11:41 am
I hear ya, I'm familiar with that Missouri summer heat/humidity, so I know what you mean. It's boiling up here in the Chicago area as well...close to 100 and sticky.

Mr. Dead
06-08-11, 11:47 am
Heat is killer. I'm accustomed to living in Kennett, MO working on the farm, where the heat is around 105 and humidity is usually up to 95%. It's like swimming and choking when going outside. But my friend wants me to go play soccer with him tomorrow in a pick-up game. Combining legs tonight with the humidity tomorrow may make for my heavy ass heaving on the sidelines. Haha

I spent 3 years at Ft. Leonard Wood... You have my sympathy... *LOL*

Bruiser
06-08-11, 11:48 am
Throw that backpack on with 20-30 lbs in it before the game. Problem solved. lol

Theonidus
06-08-11, 11:53 am
I spent 3 years at Ft. Leonard Wood... You have my sympathy... *LOL*

Then you know about the location I live in, then. I'm sorry that you had to be at FLW. Especially being that close to Rolla. lol

Theonidus
06-08-11, 12:06 pm
Throw that backpack on with 20-30 lbs in it before the game. Problem solved. lol

Solve one problem, create 2 more? lol I'd need to gather up the pieces of my knee and screw them back in again.

In highschool when I was playing soccer/running track/swimming/playing football, I could easily run 5-6 miles on off-training days. I tried this again earlier in the summer, and decided to just give up on it. I weighed around 155 or so during highschool. I'm up to 195 or so sitting here. I think I'd rather just lift and do straight cardio to warm up/shape up when the time comes.

Cellardweller
06-08-11, 12:08 pm
Look what I found. How'd that leg day go?

Theonidus
06-08-11, 12:16 pm
Look what I found. How'd that leg day go?

Damn. Now I'm going to have to hide again. LOL

Leg day hasn't happened yet. I'm interning and have a 9-5 desk job. Which means that I usually work out around 5:45-6. This is nice for me, because I get to pack food enough for the day and actually have an abundance of energy when I get into the gym.
So I'll post my leg workout when I'm sitting crippled in my desk chair back at the dorms.

BigBlueBear
06-08-11, 3:18 pm
However, today is Leg Day. And my knee groaned even before I got out of bed.

Two words, Animal Flex.

My right knee is damaged goods from high school football. Never went for surgery, but I'm telling you since taking it, it's like I got a whole knee knee.

Theonidus
06-08-11, 4:37 pm
Two words, Animal Flex.

My right knee is damaged goods from high school football. Never went for surgery, but I'm telling you since taking it, it's like I got a whole knee knee.

Through a stupid accident, I tore off my ACL (it wasn't attached anywhere to my knee), had a miniscus tear, and a growth plate fracture. The orthopedic surgeon here in St. Louis performed the surgery, and it went well. The problem arose when I hit a growth spurt a few weeks later, and my knee brace didn't fit. My lifts suffered then, and I quit playing football. But I've been working on squats, and every leg day is a new kind of pain but a whole new level of glory and sense of overcoming what was a weakness.

Theonidus
06-08-11, 10:05 pm
Started with stretching. Lots and lots of stretching. Simply because I've been sitting at my desk or sitting in meetings from 8:30-5.

Seated leg extensions were first, because I like the way they warm my quads up and loosen up my knees. Followed the 10-10-2-20 system. For 3 sets. Got up and hobbled over to the cages.

BUT OF COURSE. Douche-Baggerton had his hat backwards doing barbell bicep curls in one of the two cages, while a personal trainer was showing a client how to do bent-over barbell rows in the other. So I settled for doing squats on the smith machine, ass to grass.
First set was 135 x10
2nd: 185 x 8
3rd and 4th: 225x6
5th: 135x10 again
(I'm thinking about moving squats to later in the workout, because I still don't quite feel warmed up until at least 2 exercises in)

Hack Squats (2nd time doing these, and I think I'm in love)
Set 1: 135 x10
2: 185x5
3: 225x5

Bruiser's Calf Punishment, seated calf raises
4 sets, toes pointed in to failure, then automatically re-adjust to toes forward to failure, then straight to toes pointed out until failure again. If I can walk in the morning, I'll be surprised.

Walking lunges, across the gym floor, two sets. Almost crying from how pumped my legs are at this point.

Lying leg curls: 2 sets of 20 reps each. My knee hates these. But the hammies demand it.

Stiff-leg Deadlifts: 3 sets, 5 reps slowly.
1: 135
2: 185
3: 235

3 sets of abs on the Abcoaster.

Solid workout. I'm loving the pump that I got from it. I stretched for quite a long while again before hobbling out of the gym to my car.

Phil800101
06-09-11, 1:13 pm
Sick work my man! No doubt you're feeling that today.

Theonidus
06-09-11, 2:14 pm
I'm definitely feeling it. But I'm in love with this feeling. The soccer game later today should be interesting. I'm hoping to get a chest/biceps/forearms workout afterwords tonight.

Bruiser
06-09-11, 2:18 pm
You gotta make sure you hit 5 sets of 20 reps in all three toe positions. Otherwise it's not Punishment it's just Tickilng. lol

Theonidus
06-09-11, 2:20 pm
...it's not Punishment it's just Tickilng. lol

Just like "Fluffy's Daily Tips", wouldn't "Bruiser's Tickling" sounds a bit like an adult movie? See, now I have an image of being trapped in your basement and you being in nothing but tighty (not-so) whiteys and converse shoes.
I need to see a therapist. I need an adult.

Cellardweller
06-09-11, 10:31 pm
Liking those walking lunges. I haven't tried those in over a year. My ankle used to bitch out on me due to the tear. I might have to give them a go again.

Theonidus
06-10-11, 9:53 am
Got off of work a little earlier than usual (4:00 instead of 5:00), so I hit the gym as soon as possible. Tried to amp up the intensity a little, since this is my least favorite day.

Incline dumbell flyes:
1x15: 20's
1x10: 30's
1x6: 45's

Incline Dumbell Bench Press:
1x15: 45's
1x8: 65's
1x9: 65's drop set 1x8: 45's

Flat Barbell Bench Press (Quick, smooth sets) 3x12: 135
supersetted with dumbell straight arm flyes (slow, controlled sets): 3x5: 20's

E-Z bar curl:
1x12: 70
2x8: 90

"Run the Rack":
Standing Alternating Dumbell Curls, 2 sets:
1x6: 35's
1x6: 25's
1x6: 20's
(rest, repeat)

4 sets, 20 reps, forearm curls

The soccer game afterwords was fun, but I had forgotten to get a gatorade or some other electrolyte-replenishing beverage after the workout. And I paid for it. It was miserably hot outside, but I was glad to at least be out there with friends. I really hate working biceps for some reason.

Phil800101
06-10-11, 12:51 pm
Solid!

Theonidus
06-10-11, 2:20 pm
Solid!

Thanks, bro. I have a problem with Flat barbell bench in that my shoulder blades grind together, and don't fit on the bench well. I'm thinking about using an exercise ball and doing flat dumbell bench press, so that I can actually get the full range of motion. With using the exercise ball paired with dumbells, I guess I'll get the added bonus of stability work, too.

Bruiser
06-10-11, 2:31 pm
Thanks, bro. I have a problem with Flat barbell bench in that my shoulder blades grind together, and don't fit on the bench well. I'm thinking about using an exercise ball and doing flat dumbell bench press, so that I can actually get the full range of motion. With using the exercise ball paired with dumbells, I guess I'll get the added bonus of stability work, too.

Also try doing DB press from the floor. Lay flat on your back on the floor and do them, and your shoulder blades won't be able to come together. Once you get used to the ROM, move back to the bench.

Theonidus
06-10-11, 2:49 pm
Also try doing DB press from the floor. Lay flat on your back on the floor and do them, and your shoulder blades won't be able to come together. Once you get used to the ROM, move back to the bench.

I'll try them out once. I got the idea of the exercise ball from a personal trainer at my gym in Kennett. I haven't really tried out either yet. Next week we'll see.

I wish I could post the picture of me holding a Mountain Dew can between my shoulder blades. They stick out at a ridiculous angle. It's one of my Facebook profile pictures, I believe.

Phil800101
06-10-11, 3:27 pm
Interesting...over time, as you build mass on your upper back I imagine the problem should diminish.

Bruiser had a good suggestion.

Also, how does DB flat bench feel? About the same, or better? If it's better, I would stick to DBs for awhile.

Theonidus
06-10-11, 3:47 pm
Interesting...over time, as you build mass on your upper back I imagine the problem should diminish.

If it's possible, I'll try to get a picture uploaded. I have no camera, and my phone can only do so much explaining.

I like using DB flat bench because I feel like I have to focus more on the balance, stretch, and range of motion. I'm not so much worried about where my hands are on the bar, and I can only go so fast. So even though I use less weight than I would with the barbell, I feel that DB's give me a better overall workout.

Phil800101
06-10-11, 5:34 pm
If it's possible, I'll try to get a picture uploaded. I have no camera, and my phone can only do so much explaining.

I like using DB flat bench because I feel like I have to focus more on the balance, stretch, and range of motion. I'm not so much worried about where my hands are on the bar, and I can only go so fast. So even though I use less weight than I would with the barbell, I feel that DB's give me a better overall workout.

Yup. I love flat DB bench.

Theonidus
06-13-11, 9:49 am
Well, brothers, today is my 21st birthday. But it's back day. Beers will have to wait.

Friday's workout was rushed, and I may not be able to remember all of it.

Bent-over rear delt raises with dumbells:
1x20
1x15
1x10

Unilateral overhead dumbell tricep extension, supersetted with dumbell kickbacks:
2x10

Seated military press:
1x10
1x8
1x6
1x6
1x10

Dips (with bodyweight, hoping to add weight to these before summer ends):
3x12

Dumbell side lateral raises ("Run the Rack" style):
1x 6 (25's)
1x10 (15's)
1x12 (10's)
Set 1, repeat 2 more times

Rope cable pushdowns: 2x15 (rep pause at full extension)
unilateral cable pulldowns: 2x10

Olympic Snatch-Grip shoulder shrugs on Smith Machine:
3x20-15

Overall, I got a rather decent pump out of this workout. I wish it wouldn't have been so rushed so I could have done a few more sets for delts, but I'm not complaining.

Bruiser
06-13-11, 9:56 am
Happy birthday man. Just remember for later, how much empty calories and loads of carbs are in those beers.

Theonidus
06-13-11, 9:58 am
Happy birthday man. Just remember for later, how much empty calories and loads of carbs are in those beers.

I've had my fun with drinking over the past few years. I'm not going to be getting crazy any time soon. There's a new focus for me in the gym, and seeing what alcohol has done to my family in the past deters me from ever going down that road.

Bruiser
06-13-11, 10:00 am
I've had my fun with drinking over the past few years. I'm not going to be getting crazy any time soon. There's a new focus for me in the gym, and seeing what alcohol has done to my family in the past deters me from ever going down that road.

That's great to hear little bro. I had my battle too. Three years sober last week.

Cellardweller
06-13-11, 11:27 am
Happy birthday Theonidus, and congrats Bruiser.

Phil800101
06-13-11, 2:29 pm
Nice volume, and Happy Birthday!

Theonidus
06-13-11, 2:38 pm
Nice volume, and Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday Theonidus, and congrats Bruiser.

Thanks, brothers.

GUNS
06-13-11, 3:01 pm
Im subbed. Stick to your goals big or small. If you want to be a monster, your in the right place. Do what you got to do to get there. Happy Birthday, now get back to work! LOL!

Theonidus
06-13-11, 3:06 pm
Im subbed. Stick to your goals big or small. If you want to be a monster, your in the right place. Do what you got to do to get there. Happy Birthday, now get back to work! LOL!

Glad to have you on board, Gunz. And I am doing work. LOL

Bruiser
06-13-11, 3:24 pm
And I am doing work. LOL

No you're not. You're playing around on the FORVM. What? Do you think it's your birthday or something?

GUNS
06-13-11, 3:40 pm
Theonidus, don't forget to check out the Universal USA forum as well. lots of good info on there as well!

Just more time away from work!

Bruiser
06-13-11, 3:44 pm
Theonidus, don't forget to check out the Universal USA forum as well. lots of good info on there as well!

Just more time away from work!

Hahaha. Work. He doesn't work... lol

GUNS
06-13-11, 3:48 pm
Your not either!

Theonidus
06-13-11, 4:28 pm
Hahaha. Work. He doesn't work... lol

This makes me sad, Bruiser. lol. This is the first summer that I've been working at a desk job, rather than my usual farm work/mission trip summer. So this is an extremely differenct contrast. I get twitchy sitting in meetings, and my mind is numbed processing reports. So the FORVM has been a welcomed distraction for times between meetings.

Bruiser
06-13-11, 6:09 pm
This makes me sad, Bruiser. lol. This is the first summer that I've been working at a desk job, rather than my usual farm work/mission trip summer. So this is an extremely differenct contrast. I get twitchy sitting in meetings, and my mind is numbed processing reports. So the FORVM has been a welcomed distraction for times between meetings.

Desk jobs suck. I used to do data entry at a tax firm. SUCKED. I hope you're able to adjust to it, I know I never could. Now you just need a smartphone so you can be on the FORVM during meetings too.

Bruiser
06-13-11, 6:11 pm
Your not either!

Yes, I'm working... on my tan. Wut up bitches!? lol

Theonidus
06-14-11, 9:30 am
Now you just need a smartphone so you can be on the FORVM during meetings too.

That's the goal, actually. By the end of the summer I hope to be able to attend the FORVM from wherever I sit.

Theonidus
06-14-11, 9:38 am
Started this workout by trying to do wide-grip chins. But my ability to do them is sad.
3 sets, 7 reps each. I definitely need to work on these.

Reverse Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns (felt great after the wide-grip chins):
1 x 20
1x 12
1x8

Unilateral Dumbell Row (supersetted with Hammer Strength pulldowns):
3x10 each exercise

T-Bar Rows:
1x15
1x10
1x8

Rack Deads:
1x10 (135)
1x10 (225)
1x6 (275) drop set 1x10 (135)

Calves: Veal 300
(I swear, Bruiser, I need to shake your hand for this one. Fibers I've never seen before are becoming awakened.)

In and out within a little over an hour. Dinner with my Grandmother/Aunt and Uncle afterwords. Celebrated (but not too much celebration) my 21st birthday yesterday. I had one beer, but with an 11oz sirloin, steamed broccoli, and a sweet potato. I wish I could eat like that every meal.

GUNS
06-14-11, 10:00 am
Do't ever worry about how many you can do, but how good of quality they are. If your intensity is up there, those 3 sets of 7 work better than ones with less intensity and higher numbers. Hell Im only doing 3 sets of 10. Nice job! Solid overall workout. Looks like your hitting every angle. And that was a hell of a dinner. Nothing wrong with that!

Theonidus
06-14-11, 10:09 am
I'm just finished making excuses for not doing chins. They're too beneficial to simply blow off. Thanks, Gunz.

Bruiser
06-14-11, 11:10 am
I'm glad you're enjoying the Veal-300. I had a feeling you would. I can't do calves any other way now.

Phil800101
06-14-11, 3:18 pm
Solid!

Theonidus
06-15-11, 9:46 am
Wheels day always seems to hurt.

Started with ab work, just to get my body warmed up after sitting for so long at "work".
Decline crunches, AbCoaster, and glute/ham (hyperextensions)

Leg Extensions:
1x20 (warm-up)
Then three sets by the 10-10-2-20 method

Leg Press:
3x12-10
1x10, double drop set

Hack Squat Machine:
2x10 (slowly)

Hack Squat (with barbell)
1x10 (135)
1x10 (185)

Squat
3x10 (ass to grass, 135)
At this point 135 felt like sheer pain.

Stiff-legged deadlifts:
3x10

Hip Abductor/Adductor Machine:
2x20, each exercise

Stretched for a good 10 minutes. I feel a little more flexibility coming back each time.

GUNS
06-15-11, 9:52 am
Awesome leg day. Love seeing some ATG's in there, espescially at the end. My legs are dying today cause of this.

Theonidus
06-15-11, 9:55 am
ATG's just seem to make the squat feel better, rather than that group of guys who are "Squatting" 405 by barely bending their knees and screaming the whole time.
I'm not really sure how I'm expected to walk to my meetings today...

Bruiser
06-15-11, 10:27 am
ATG's just seem to make the squat feel better, rather than that group of guys who are "Squatting" 405 by barely bending their knees and screaming the whole time.

I like you're way of thinking man. Before my back surgery I would get better results going ATG with light weight than going half-a** with heavy weight. You really know how to check your ego at the door and that's awesome. You're gonna make some amazing gains while you're in this sport/lifestyle.

Theonidus
06-15-11, 12:20 pm
I like you're way of thinking man. Before my back surgery I would get better results going ATG with light weight than going half-a** with heavy weight. You really know how to check your ego at the door and that's awesome. You're gonna make some amazing gains while you're in this sport/lifestyle.

Thanks, Bruiser. After my knee surgery I went from a 315 squat to barely being able to sit in a chair at a 90 degree angle. I learned a long while ago that actually doing to exercise correctly, smoothly, and consistently yields much better gains than half-assing. I'd really like to see these guys 10 years from now to see where they stand.

Bruiser
06-15-11, 12:37 pm
Thanks, Bruiser. After my knee surgery I went from a 315 squat to barely being able to sit in a chair at a 90 degree angle. I learned a long while ago that actually doing to exercise correctly, smoothly, and consistently yields much better gains than half-assing. I'd really like to see these guys 10 years from now to see where they stand.

Or HOW they stand...

Cellardweller
06-15-11, 12:55 pm
Leg day is looking good. I especially love the barbell hack squats. I have never seen them done and have never done them myself. You get extra Animal points for that.

Theonidus
06-15-11, 1:00 pm
Leg day is looking good. I especially love the barbell hack squats. I have never seen them done and have never done them myself. You get extra Animal points for that.

Thanks, CD. They'll definitely make a man out of anyone willing to try them. I've only done them 3 times now, and it's all been leg day these past 3 sessions. I'm going to have to keep them in my routine.

Phil800101
06-15-11, 3:08 pm
Killer session! No doubt you'll be feeling that one for a few days.

Theonidus
06-15-11, 3:12 pm
Killer session! No doubt you'll be feeling that one for a few days.

Thanks, brother. My hamstrings are starting to come in. I can feel them with my hand, and it definitely makes for tough walking up and down stairs. Haha. Now to start mixing in cardio with my workouts...

Theonidus
06-15-11, 8:49 pm
I for some reason hate doing biceps. I think doing heavy rows works the biceps, and I usually just end up throwing a little biceps in every other week.

So, I just did chest and forearms.
Warm-ups:
Dumbell Pull-overs: 3x15 (with a 55 the first 2 sets, 60 with the third)
supersetted with EZ-bar front raises: 3x10 (slowly, light weight, to work that anterior delt)

Dumbell Flat Bench on a medicine ball:
Set 1: 40 lb dbells 20 reps for warm-up
2: 55's x 12
3: 65's x 8
4 and 5: 70's x 6

Incline Barbell Bench Press:
1x10: warm up with bar
1x12: 95
2x8: 135

Incline Dumbell Flyes:
1x15: 25's
1x10: 35's

Machine Chest Flyes:
3x15

Drove back to my dorm room (roughly 10 minute drive, and it's where I'm staying for my internship) and ran about 1-1.5 miles when I got back. I'm just surprised my legs didn't lock up. The flat dumbell bench on the medicine ball felt amazing. Got a much better stretch and pump than with the barbell on the bench, because my shoulder blades didn't lift my back off the bench.

Phil800101
06-16-11, 4:03 am
Solid! Cool, glad to hear you found something that works for the bench.

Theonidus
06-17-11, 11:48 am
I spent too long after work hanging out in the Supplement Superstore here in St. Louis. It was awesome to talk with people as fanactic about diet, training, and supplements as I was. Spent almost an hour in there, and all I went in there to get was Torrent. LOL

But I had way too much fun doing shoulders and triceps. Not really sure why, but I never really came off of the pump I was getting with lower weight, higher reps.

Warm-ups were bent-over rear dumbell raises supersetted with tricep rope cable pushdowns.

First working set was Arnold Press (poor idea, I forgot how much stress these put on my elbow flexor/tricep) supersetted with incline EZ-bar tricep extension
Other sets:
Seated Military Press
Barbell Shrugs (Snatch Grip)
Dumbell Skull Crushers
"Run the Rack" Dumbell Side Lateral Raises (6 with 25's, 10 with 15's, 10 with 10's, repeat)
Weighted bench dip

With a rather nice pump, left the gym chugging on some Torrent. I didn't realize how delicious it was.

GUNS
06-17-11, 11:54 am
Love me some Torrent, Got the Citrus coming in the mail, finishing up the cherry now, and I really love the apple. Solid session! Great to have people to chat with about the things we love!

Phil800101
06-18-11, 12:13 pm
Nice work!

I know how that goes, lol.

Cellardweller
06-18-11, 1:01 pm
You can never have too much fun doing what you love. Bet it was a great workout.

I'm a cherry Torrent man myself.

Theonidus
06-21-11, 9:48 am
Instead of working in a cubicle on Monday, we had the option of going out to the Habitat for Humanity site that we sponsor and working for a day. Of course I jumped at the chance to be outside, actually doing work. Hanging siding for 7 hours left me sore and sunburned, but feeling much better than if I had sat in a box all day.

I've quit making excuses for not doing cardio. The dorm I'm staying in has a "cardio room" with a dreadmill, an elliptical-like machine, and two stationary bikes. So I'm starting to do cardio every morning (20 minutes, at least) and I'm starting to like how I feel throughout the morning.

Getting to the gym later in the day, I realized I haven't done hang cleans since working out for lacrosse.
Workout:
1-arm dumbell cleans (warm-ups, gets rotator cuff ready for hang cleans)
Wide-grip chins (Still working on these, but loving the feeling of being wider afterwords)
Hang Cleans
Bent-over rows
barbell shrugs (olympic grip and reverse shrugs)
T-Bar Rows
One-arm Dumbell rows
Close-grip reverse-grip pulldowns
Deadlifts
Face Pulls

Almost vomited because of this session. Is it weird to like that feeling? And torrent is definitely going to have to be a supplement staple from now on.

Phil800101
06-21-11, 1:40 pm
Solid! Not at all, it means you pushed yourself towards your limits.

Bruiser
06-21-11, 2:06 pm
I'm glad to see you're really getting everything dialed in good and getting a good routine that you like. Once you get that stuff figured out and basically "customized" to fit you, everything is a lot less stressfull. That's when after work no matter how tired you are you want to go train because it's relaxing. You're getting there bro. Keep this up and before you know it you'll be teaching all of us a thing or two.

Theonidus
06-22-11, 9:53 am
Yesterday was annoying. For some reason, the Gold's Gym I train at has 6 flat benches, 1 decline, 2 incline, 2 power racks, and 2 smith machines. Which is great for those wanting to do flat barbell bench. But otherwise annoying if you want to do inclines. Oh, well.

Bent-over rear deltoid raise
Dumbell Pullovers (These felt amazing after back day on Monday)
Flat Dumbell Bench on Medicine Ball (Starting to figure out a groove on these, and I'm loving them)
Incline Dumbell Press
Standing Arnold Press (more out of necessity, couldn't find a free bench)
Incline Dumbell Flyes
Dumbell side lateral raise (supersets, "running the rack")
Front Dumbell Raise

A lot of this was somewhat instinctive, and most of the session was just improvising and making what was available work for me. Oh, well. Time to gear up for leg day.

Theonidus
06-22-11, 9:54 am
Solid! Not at all, it means you pushed yourself towards your limits.

I'm glad to see you're really getting everything dialed in good and getting a good routine that you like. Once you get that stuff figured out and basically "customized" to fit you, everything is a lot less stressfull. That's when after work no matter how tired you are you want to go train because it's relaxing. You're getting there bro. Keep this up and before you know it you'll be teaching all of us a thing or two.

Thanks, bros. It's nice to have a community who will support and teach me, keep me responsible, and motivate me throughout this journey. You can only do so much alone.

Bruiser
06-22-11, 11:06 am
Yesterday was annoying. For some reason, the Gold's Gym I train at has 6 flat benches, 1 decline, 2 incline, 2 power racks, and 2 smith machines. Which is great for those wanting to do flat barbell bench. But otherwise annoying if you want to do inclines. Oh, well.

Bent-over rear deltoid raise
Dumbell Pullovers (These felt amazing after back day on Monday)
Flat Dumbell Bench on Medicine Ball (Starting to figure out a groove on these, and I'm loving them)
Incline Dumbell Press
Standing Arnold Press (more out of necessity, couldn't find a free bench)
Incline Dumbell Flyes
Dumbell side lateral raise (supersets, "running the rack")
Front Dumbell Raise

A lot of this was somewhat instinctive, and most of the session was just improvising and making what was available work for me. Oh, well. Time to gear up for leg day.

Sometimes the best workouts are the ones you gotta improvise. That's how I came up with the B3. I was short on time and wanted to get in a good bicep day and I use it every single arm day now.

GUNS
06-22-11, 11:23 am
Man shoulders and chest, that is one hell of a day. Good work!

Cellardweller
06-22-11, 1:41 pm
Chest day's looking good. Glad you're getting your groove on on that ball. Means the best is yet to come.

Theonidus
06-23-11, 9:45 am
Leg day was a lot of volume. But I figure I had leg day yesterday, a quick arm day today, and I'll have 3 days of rest to recover. I plan on taking full advantage of those three days. LOL

5 minutes on the stationary bike for warm-up
Stretching

Leg Extension: 1x20 (warm-up), 2 sets 10-10-2-20
Hack Slide Machine: 3x10, working up to 3 plates per side
Leg Press: 5x10, working up to 5 plates per side
Walking Lunges: 2 sets, length of gym (noticed veins popping in my quads and calves doing these. I'm excited.)
Hack Squats (with barbell): 3x8, with 185
Squats: 3x10, with 135 (Ass to Grass, basically sitting on my calves. I love that burn)
Bruiser's Veal 300 (much more difficult to do in Vibram's)
Hip Abductor/Adductor machine: 2x20 for each exercise

Sipped on my Torrent while doing my post workout stretches. I feel like I'm losing a lot of my flexibility.
I'm going to try for 185 on my 3x10 squats next session. Then wheel myself out in a wheelchair.

Phil800101
06-24-11, 3:07 am
Killer, I see some SUTAS in your future!

Theonidus
06-24-11, 9:25 am
Killer, I see some SUTAS in your future!

All day yesterday, and a little bit today. I'm going to a Cardinal's game tonight, and will be glad to just sit and do nothing for a weekend. Haha.

Bruiser
06-24-11, 11:38 am
Bruiser's Veal 300 (much more difficult to do in Vibram's)

What are Vibram's?

I'm going to a Cardinal's game tonight, and will be glad to just sit and do nothing for a weekend. Haha.

Go Cubs!!!

Theonidus
06-24-11, 11:49 am
What are Vibram's?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Mens.htm

These little guys. Since switching to them a few months ago, I've had very little to no knee pain from running (when I do get my fat ass up to do it) or from leg day. They've been a God send. I have the black/grey/camo KSO style.

Bruiser
06-24-11, 11:56 am
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Mens.htm

These little guys. Since switching to them a few months ago, I've had very little to no knee pain from running (when I do get my fat ass up to do it) or from leg day. They've been a God send. I have the black/grey/camo KSO style.

Now I know what you're talking about. I'd like to get a pair but I've got some f***ed up shaped toes and doubt these would fit.

Theonidus
06-27-11, 9:24 am
So, this started over the past weekend when my girlfriend and I went swimming in her neighborhood pool. I am not satisfied with my "belly", and I miss my abs from when I was in highschool/first starting college. So, she challenged me. Starting today (Monday, 6/27) both of us are in an 8-12 week (depending upon if I go crazy or not on a restricted diet) contest to see who ends up with abs first.

This is a good time to start my cut, since I'd like to be cut and peeled by the time classes start back up in mid-late August. I'm running Animal Cuts (this is the first time I've ever run it) along with a 0 g carb whey protein isolate. I'm going to be doing 20 minutes of cardio upon waking and 20 post work out, and hoping to work them both up to 30 minutes apiece through the 8 weeks.

My diet will be extremely restrictive, trying to cut various cravings out (like pizza and beer...) for the first week. I'm only going to be eating tuna/salmon (I love fish, especially raw, which would disgust Bruiser) and almonds as my main protein source, working in eggs eventually. For carbs, I'm going to eat potatoes post work out to refuel glycogen stores. I'll try to keep everyone updated. I'm almost giddy with excitement to experiment with this diet to see just how leaned out I can get.

Cellardweller
06-27-11, 1:02 pm
both of us are in an 8-12 week (depending upon if I go crazy or not on a restricted diet) contest to see who ends up with abs first.

Win or loose, you still win.

Bruiser
06-27-11, 2:58 pm
So, this started over the past weekend when my girlfriend and I went swimming in her neighborhood pool. I am not satisfied with my "belly", and I miss my abs from when I was in highschool/first starting college.

I'm in the same boat man. I'm starting my cut this Thursday instead of early next week. I like cutting a lot better than bulking. Plus I figure I want to be able to look somewhat lean this summer too. Good luck with yours, and good luck eating that nasty a** fish!! LOL

Phil800101
06-27-11, 3:47 pm
Sounds like a plan.

Theonidus
06-27-11, 4:16 pm
Win or loose, you still win.

Good point. lol

I'm in the same boat man. I'm starting my cut this Thursday instead of early next week. I like cutting a lot better than bulking. Plus I figure I want to be able to look somewhat lean this summer too. Good luck with yours, and good luck eating that nasty a** fish!! LOL

I absolutely love fish. If I could eat Sushi on a daily basis, I would. I'm both excited and nervous for this. I'm not really sure how my body will react to a drastic slash in carbs.

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks, Phil. I'll keep everyone updated on this next step of my journey. Back day today. Let's see how this goes.

Bruiser
06-27-11, 4:23 pm
I absolutely love fish. If I could eat Sushi on a daily basis, I would. I'm both excited and nervous for this. I'm not really sure how my body will react to a drastic slash in carbs.

I'm not cutting carbs this time, I'm gonna try carb cycling instead. Should be interesting to see how my body reacts to it.

Theonidus
06-28-11, 9:47 am
Did cardio in the morning: ~25 minutes on the stationary bike

Trained around 4:45
Close-Grip Reverse-Grip Lat Pulldowns: 1x20 (slowly, warm-up), 2x12
Wide-grip chins (still only 3x7, hoping to get it to 3x10 by the end of the summer)
One-arm dumbell rows, supersetted with HS Iso-Lateral Machine: 3x10 each exercise
Barbell Rows: 1x12 (at 135), 2x8 (at 185)
Rack Pulls from shins: 135x10, 225x10, 225x10
T-Bar machine: 3x10 (felt a good stretch after the rack pulls)
Calves: Veal 300
Ab work (still getting back into it, I've neglected abs and cardio for a while...)

Post workout cardio:
Incline Dreadmill, brisk walking pace, 20 minutes (really felt it in the calves)
All while sipping on Torrent.

Since Torrent was the first serving of carbs that I'd had all day, I'm hoping that the muscles absorbed the carbs more readily. This is going to be an interesting few weeks.

Bruiser
06-28-11, 10:57 am
That's a damn good workout for being carb deprived. Your body will adjust pretty easily. Just make sure to keep some healthy carb options around. Because when you're on a low carb diet, you will crave sugars. So have a healthy option ready. I always use fruit. One trick would be to keep a pack of raisins with you at all times. It sounds silly but it works.

GUNS
06-28-11, 10:58 am
Almonds, sugar free gum, Protein. I say if you get hungry, eat some protein.

Phil800101
06-28-11, 2:24 pm
Killer!

Theonidus
06-28-11, 4:40 pm
Almonds, sugar free gum, Protein. I say if you get hungry, eat some protein.

I wish I could take a picture of my desk right now. Sitting at the corner of my desk is a zip-lock bag of natural almonds, some cinnamon Stride, and my shaker.

Theonidus
06-28-11, 4:42 pm
That's a damn good workout for being carb deprived. Your body will adjust pretty easily. Just make sure to keep some healthy carb options around. Because when you're on a low carb diet, you will crave sugars. So have a healthy option ready. I always use fruit. One trick would be to keep a pack of raisins with you at all times. It sounds silly but it works.

Killer!

Definitely overloaded over the weekend with the things I wanted to cut out for a few weeks. For example, pizza, ice cream, beer...

I think that helped out come Monday evening for the workout, but I'm interested in seeing how it will help out come something like Thursday or Friday's workout...

GUNS
06-29-11, 1:29 am
I wish I could take a picture of my desk right now. Sitting at the corner of my desk is a zip-lock bag of natural almonds, some cinnamon Stride, and my shaker.

Perfect!

Theonidus
06-29-11, 9:38 am
Morning: Cardio on Elliptical-like machine 25 mins

Workout:
Warm ups: Push ups on the 1/2 medicine ball (not sure the technical term for it)
Barbell Incline Bench:
warm-ups with bar
95x5
135x5
155x5
185x2 (New PR)
135x8 (two sets)

Dumbell Bench on Medicine Ball
55'sx12
65'sx10
75'sx5 (two sets)
Sidenote: Still getting weird looks for doing these. LOL. Explaining why I do them takes too long. And earns me even weirder looks. Will need to switch soon, Barbell Flat and Dumbell Incline

Dumbell Pullovers:
3x12 (slowly, just to feel the stretch after the pushing movements)

Incline Dumbell Flyes:
30's x 15
40's x 10
45's x 6

Dips:
Bodyweight, 3 sets x 8 reps each (really felt the burn on these, going to be adding dips in as often as possible now)

EZ-Bar reverse curls supersetted w/ behind the neck presses (same grip, same bar):
1x10 40 lbs
2x8 70 lbs

wrist curls

Elliptical (I love the elliptical, it's just so smooth on my knees)
20 minutes

Phil800101
06-29-11, 1:23 pm
Nice work, congrats on the PR!

Cellardweller
06-29-11, 5:35 pm
185x2 (New PR)

Another step on the "Road to Glory." Congrats.

Theonidus
06-30-11, 9:58 am
I decided to play around with my leg session a little bit.

Warm up on the stationary bike: 5 mins

Leg Extensions:
1x20 (warm-ups)
3 sets of 10-10-2-20 (love the pump with this)

Leg Press:
Sets of 10, working up to 5 PPS, then triple drop set.
(So, 5 sets of 10, then the drop set)

Front Squat:
5 reps w/ bar (warm up)
5 reps: 95
5 reps: 135
3 reps: 185 (almost fell over, but felt amazing)
5 reps: 135

Hack squat:
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 10

Standing Calf Raise: Veal-300 (sorta, when to failure on all 3 toe positions, repeat 3 times)

Front Squats w/ Kettlebell: 2x10
supersetted w/ Figure 8's

Ab work
Leg Raise: 4x15
Reverse Crunches: 2x15

I need to work on the front squats. They feel great whenever I finally get around to them, though. I'll throw in some hamstring work today with hang cleans/deltoids.

Theonidus
06-30-11, 9:59 am
185x2 (New PR)

Another step on the "Road to Glory." Congrats.

Nice work, congrats on the PR!

Thanks, brothers. It's nice to have support along the Road to Glory, rather than distractions.

GUNS
06-30-11, 11:46 am
Very good work. Great to see you throwing the bike in to get those knees warmed up and the blood flowing. One of those priceless things that will save your knees in the long run.

Cellardweller
06-30-11, 12:55 pm
I love that light headed feeling after fighting out a heavy squat set or deadlift. Usually its from holding your breath though, so keep breathing.

Theonidus
06-30-11, 4:21 pm
I love that light headed feeling after fighting out a heavy squat set or deadlift. Usually its from holding your breath though, so keep breathing.

So that would explain why my face went dark purple, the vein in my forehead was throbbing, and I almost shit myself. Haha. Having been a runner in my "past life", I understand the importance of breathing. LOL

Theonidus
07-01-11, 11:10 am
Did my usual cardio before work. It's helping me get a little boost of energy for the daily grind of meetings. LOL
I didn't really have much of a plan for the gym today, was stretching out, and just sort of thinking through the exercises I wanted to do. Which made me want to start mixing in a few power lifting exercises into my regimin again.

Stretches, and then warm-up exercise:
Rear Deltoid Lateral Raise on Incline Bench: 3x10

Unilateral Kettlebell Snatches: 3x10 each arm

Hang Snatches:
5 reps with bar (to get the groove back)
5 reps: 135 (lost the groove on the last rep, went back to 95)
2x5: 95

Olympic-Grip Shrugs:
3x15 with 135

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts:
3x10 with 135 (felt great after leg day the day before, and a nice stretch after Snatches)

Seated Military Press:
10 reps, adding a 10lb plate until I couldn't get 10 full reps.
Worked up to 4 10's per side for 4 reps, then drop setted back down.
So, essentially, 3x10, then 1x4, then 1x5, 5, 5 (removing a 10 each drop set)

Lateral Raises:
3 sets, "Running the Rack" (Delts felt like someone was taking a blowtorch to them at this point)

Upright rows with EZ bar supersetted with facepulls:
3x12-10 for each

Cardio post-workout, 20 minutes, sipping on Torrent.
I'm going to have to start logging out my workouts two weeks ahead. This workout felt better than the past few weeks, and I'm going to use it as a base for a while.

Bruiser
07-01-11, 12:18 pm
I'm going to have to start logging out my workouts two weeks ahead. This workout felt better than the past few weeks, and I'm going to use it as a base for a while.

Sounds like a damn good plan bro. You keep this hard work up and you'll be hitting your goals soon.

Phil800101
07-01-11, 2:40 pm
Solid!

Theonidus
07-06-11, 9:51 am
Workout felt good after a 3-day break. Will definitely have to start working out or at least running over the weekend and keeping my diet in check.

Warm-ups:
Stretching, Rotator Cuff work, tricep kick-backs, rear delt cable lateral raises, kettlebell snatches

Hang Snatches:
Sets of 5,
bar for warm-ups,
95x5
105x5
115x5
135x2 (Got too hungry for this, went back down to 95 for a set)
95x5

Snatch-Grip Shrugs:
135x15 for 2 sets,
185x10, drop set 135x10

Seated Dumbell Press:
Sets of 15-12, supersetted with dumbell lateral raises 15-12
Worked up to 60lb dbells for presses, which is more than I had ever done before
Delts were on fire after this

Upright rows
3 sets of 10-8
supersetted with Front Raises with 25-lb plate 10-8

Reverse Curls
3 sets of 10 supersetted with behind-the-neck-press (same weight, same grip)

Cardio afterwords while sipping on Torrent.
Some notes:
Going to mix up my workouts a lot more between PL and BB. I like the idea of Power Building workouts.
Green Apple Avalance Torrent is the most delicious drink ever.

Bruiser
07-06-11, 12:28 pm
Real good numbers here. Congrats on the DB press, that's looking stronger and stronger. Let me know if you end up switching to a powerbuilding workout. I've been interested that for a while now but don't know much about it.

GUNS
07-07-11, 1:54 am
Ive always enjoyed more of powerbuilding. I seem to do well with my first exercise being my heavy compound movement. Almost maxing out. Usually taking long rest time with lots of stretching and even foam roller work. 1st exercise lasting 30 minutes of my 60 minute workout. Then the other 30 is hitting more rep type work. And yes, GAA Torrent is the greatest drink ever!

Theonidus
07-07-11, 9:41 am
Gunz, do you have a link or sample workout for a "powerbuilding"-style workout? I've been looking everywhere, but very few links actually provide me with a sample layout.
Right now I've just been going by instinct to see what needs to be done. I'm thinking about one week doing sets of 4, seeing as I rarely go that low rep, high weight. And the next week hitting sets of 10-12, to even everything out. I'm not sure yet what I want my split to be.

Theonidus
07-07-11, 9:48 am
This is just another experitmental workout, to find a decent "powerbuilding" syle.
Warm-ups:
5 minutes on stationary bike, leg extensions: set of 40

Leg Extensions:
2 sets, 10-10-2-20 style

Leg Press:
2 pps x 10
3 pps x 10
4 pps x 10
5 pps x 10
3 pps x 10

Hack Squat:
135 x 10
185 x 6
235 x 6

Sumo-Stance Deadlift:
135 x 10
185 x 8
235 x 6

Squats:
3 sets x 10 at 135

Standing Calf Raise:
Veal-300 (sort of. Couldn't really stand at this point)

Bruiser
07-07-11, 9:49 am
Gunz, do you have a link or sample workout for a "powerbuilding"-style workout? I've been looking everywhere, but very few links actually provide me with a sample layout.
Right now I've just been going by instinct to see what needs to be done. I'm thinking about one week doing sets of 4, seeing as I rarely go that low rep, high weight. And the next week hitting sets of 10-12, to even everything out. I'm not sure yet what I want my split to be.

Look up Branch Warren's training. He is a big believer in powerbuilding. That or get a hold of the book, "Metroflex Gym's Powerbuilding Basics".

GUNS
07-07-11, 11:20 am
Dude I just had a long post and lost it, so here goes again.

I like to hit up a heavy compound movement powerlifting style, then hit up some bodybuilder style. First heavy movement like deads, last a long time. 30 minutes. Lots of rest, heavy as you can with good form. All other movements are done faster and all in the other 30 minutes. The chins are warm up and just part of getting blood into the area. Ex..

back day

Chins, 3 sets of 8-10 to warm up, lots of stretching and foam roller. Priceless
Deads, 135x8, 225x8, 315x6, 365x4, 405x1-2
Pulldowns, 3 sets 10-12
Low cable rows, 3 sets 10-12
Pullovers, 2 sets 10-12
DB rows, 2 x 10-12

All sets to failure, if you get 8 out of 10-12, so be it, if you get 13-14, same same. Just go till quality form fails.

Dorians is also to me, powerbuilding. Referred to as HIT. But I love it and am fixing to get back on it.

But he says there are things he would change from back then so research both original and new stuff from blood and guts. Check these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPo--TuPvTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowuV0JRRes

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-yates-blood-guts-6-week-trainer.htm

Phil800101
07-07-11, 3:31 pm
Nice work bro! Keep it up.

Cellardweller
07-09-11, 11:58 am
I like to hit up a heavy compound movement powerlifting style, then hit up some bodybuilder style. First heavy movement like deads, last a long time. 30 minutes. Lots of rest, heavy as you can with good form. All other movements are done faster and all in the other 30 minutes. back day

This is how I've been working out too. I've switched things up lately, but you've been following me for awhile. It's no secret that I love Animal Training routine #5.

you’ll perform 5 sets for each exercise. Each successive set gets progressively heavier and you’ll follow this pattern: 1st set, 8 reps; 2nd set, 6 reps; 3rd set, 4 reps; fourth set, 2 reps; and fifth set, 50% of the weight of the 1st set to failure.

This is really what got me started back. I picked up my strength and kicked off some solid growth. It's just another option. Look at the Animal Routines. Look at what they are designed for and read the paragraph describing the reasoning behind it. Good stuff in there. It's digging a little deeper for some solid knowledge. Whatever you decide to do, I would give it 4-6 weeks of a run before changing up to give it a chance.

Theonidus
07-11-11, 9:52 am
Guns, I liked the link to DY's "Blood and Guts", and have borrowed the skeleton of the workout from the write-up/vids. I really like his style of 1 warm up set, 1 working set to failure. Give it your all for two sets, and head to a different exercise. I usually do enough warm-ups/stretching that I don't have to do 20 sets of flat bench to feel like I've worked something.

So, that was my Thursday/Friday workout was his chest/biceps and back days. With a little of my own twist to it, of course. I didn't realize DY was such a proponent of the Decline Bench.

Since I'm at work and various sites/videos are blocked due to key words in the URL, does anyone else have any links to any examples of powerbuilding styles that they could post here? I'd be extremely grateful.

GUNS
07-11-11, 10:23 am
Im 2 days into it. I am gonna like getting back at this style. Less than 45 minutes and your out.

Bruiser
07-11-11, 11:57 am
That's awesome that you found something you really like so fast. It's taken me a long time to come up with a routine that works for me and that I really like. I gotta say that I can't stand decline bench. With the shape of my chest, it gives me an odd look to my pecs. My lower pecs would grow a lot easier than the mid or upper and it would give me a "bitch tits" look. Plus, when I'm bulking the first place I put on fat is in my pecs, so the last thing I want is to make them look like their hanging! LOL So I don't even train the lower pec at all anymore.

Theonidus
07-11-11, 10:53 pm
Excited for this new regimen. Once I get Microsoft Office installed on my laptop again, I'll make up a few weeks worth of my plan in Excel.

Today was Delts and Tris. Bench seems to be a popular Monday session, and the sunburn I got from this past weekend made putting a bar on my shoulders unbearable. This seemed like a good starting point.
Warm ups:
Rotator cuff exercises 2x12
Cable Tricep Pushdown 3 x 20
supersetted with Bent-over Rear lateral raise 3x15-10

Seated Military Press:
Bar x 10
95 x 8
115 x 6
135 x 3
75 x 16

Dips:
3x12

Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise:
15's to failure, supersetted with 5's to failure (The pain!)

Skullcrushers:
1 x 15
2 x 8-6
1 x 10

Unilateral Dumbell tricep extension supersetted with Lateral Upright Rows
Machine Lateral Raises

Also, I just ordered my Animal Shirts. I'm pumped for the upcoming Chicago ABC.

Phil800101
07-12-11, 3:21 am
Killer session there bro!

GUNS
07-12-11, 3:56 am
Excited for this new regimen. Once I get Microsoft Office installed on my laptop again, I'll make up a few weeks worth of my plan in Excel.

Today was Delts and Tris. Bench seems to be a popular Monday session, and the sunburn I got from this past weekend made putting a bar on my shoulders unbearable. This seemed like a good starting point.
Warm ups:
Rotator cuff exercises 2x12
Cable Tricep Pushdown 3 x 20
supersetted with Bent-over Rear lateral raise 3x15-10

Seated Military Press:
Bar x 10
95 x 8
115 x 6
135 x 3
75 x 16

Dips:
3x12

Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise:
15's to failure, supersetted with 5's to failure (The pain!)

Skullcrushers:
1 x 15
2 x 8-6
1 x 10

Unilateral Dumbell tricep extension supersetted with Lateral Upright Rows
Machine Lateral Raises

Also, I just ordered my Animal Shirts. I'm pumped for the upcoming Chicago ABC.

Good solid workout. Hit some great angles. I don't think you will, but don't get caught up in setting up a routine on paper and only sticking to that. If you get in the gym and feel like doing something different, changing pace, changing exercises, that is a good thing. From long time exp. watch that sun. It can do some serious damage. I was one to not use sunscreen and I have alot of freckles, that I have to watch. Have had them checked out with neg results luckily, but if I could go back, I would use the hell out of some sunscreen!

Bruiser
07-12-11, 7:18 am
Nice shoulder day. I gotta agree with GUNS though, don't get caught up in one routine for too long. You're gonna get too worried about what your numbers are when you should be worrying about how the muscle feels.

I can't wait to train with you in Chicago.

Theonidus
07-13-11, 9:47 am
Good solid workout. Hit some great angles. I don't think you will, but don't get caught up in setting up a routine on paper and only sticking to that. If you get in the gym and feel like doing something different, changing pace, changing exercises, that is a good thing.

Nice shoulder day. I gotta agree with GUNS though, don't get caught up in one routine for too long. You're gonna get too worried about what your numbers are when you should be worrying about how the muscle feels.

I can't wait to train with you in Chicago.

The whole idea of putting a "routine" or regimin on paper was not to follow it to the letter, but rather have more the set/rep ranges than anything. Having that on paper would help a lot, as would having a skeleton of a guideline to follow for 6-8 weeks then changing to something completely different. I've somewhat missed the Bigger Faster Stronger program from football, but I do like being able to train instinctively. I've loosely tried the 5x5, had a training partner for a short while who had me doing 4x20, and since I've been doing whatever felt right. Adopting Dorian's "Blood and Guts" and Animal Routine #5 have given me a much better feeling walking out of the gym.

So, rough idea:
6-8 weeks from here: Powerbuilding via Dorian's style and Animal Routine #5 (as adopted to my style, not straight from paper)

Also, leg day was yesterday. I don't really feel like writing up my workout, but I did have a PT tell me after my set of squats that I had the cleanest squat he'd ever seen. Which I may have thanked him for saying so, if my head wasn't still swimming after the prior set. Haha.

Theonidus
07-15-11, 12:10 pm
Haven't put an update here in a while. But I will say that Back day Wednesday and Chest/Biceps yesterday went extremely well. I've had a lot of stuff to work on with this internship, and haven't have as much time to cruise the FORVM as I would like. LOL
Training is still going awesomely, though.

Bruiser
07-15-11, 12:43 pm
Haven't put an update here in a while. But I will say that Back day Wednesday and Chest/Biceps yesterday went extremely well. I've had a lot of stuff to work on with this internship, and haven't have as much time to cruise the FORVM as I would like. LOL
Training is still going awesomely, though.

Good to hear. Keep it up.

Phil800101
07-15-11, 3:21 pm
Good to hear. Keep it up.

x2!

Theonidus
07-18-11, 11:40 am
So, just checked back in a thread that I posted in on Friday. And I was chosen to win a tub of Atomic 7. It's going to be a good week when it starts out like that on a Monday morning.

Phil800101
07-18-11, 3:58 pm
Congrats!

Theonidus
07-18-11, 9:23 pm
I've found that doing delts and tris on Monday, and Legs on Tuesday, mean that I'm not fighting anyone for a machine. Which means I'm in, destroy that body part, and I'm out in about an hour.

Warms ups, rotator cuff exercises.

Dumbbell Shoulder Presses:
40's x 12 easily
50's x 10 somewhat harder
65's x 2 (failed to get 6, next week will be stronger)
60's x 4 to finish the set of 6

Seated Side Lateral Raises:
10's x 15 warm-up
20's x 6, supersetted with 10's x 10 for two sets

Lean-Away Unilateral Raises
1 x 6, slowly, felt the burn

Reverse Dumbbell Flyes:
2 x 12

Parallel Bar Dips:
Bodyweight, 3x12

Tricep Pushdowns:
1 x 15
1 x 10

EZ-Bar Skull Crushers:
1 x 12 (60 lb)
1 x 8 (90 lb)
Stupid Elbow is still bothering me a little. Thanks to Flex, nowhere near as much as during the season.

Standing Behind-the-Head Dumbbell Extension:
55 x 12
65 x 10

Unilateral Tricep Extension, supersetted with Dumbbell kick-backs:
2 x 6 each, slowly, to really squeeze the long head of the tricep

Torrent now has a new permanent place in my stack. GAA is the best tasting drank.

Phil800101
07-19-11, 1:08 am
Nice and thorough, good stuff!

GUNS
07-19-11, 3:40 am
Solid day in the gym T.

Congrats on the A7. Which flavor, have you ever used it? Great stuff. I replaced my EAA/BCAA stack with it.

Bruiser
07-19-11, 7:50 am
Nice shoulder day. I like doing rear delts last too, I've noticed that when I do that I can hit them better if the other two heads are exhausted. How are they coming?

Theonidus
07-19-11, 10:33 am
Nice and thorough, good stuff!

Thanks, Brother. Just trying to be presentable for the upcoming Chicago ABC!

Solid day in the gym T.

Congrats on the A7. Which flavor, have you ever used it? Great stuff. I replaced my EAA/BCAA stack with it.

I'm currently using the Watermelon Rush intra workout with a half gallon of water. It drowns the taste out a little, but is definitely still giving me a much better pump than other intra-workouts.

Nice shoulder day. I like doing rear delts last too, I've noticed that when I do that I can hit them better if the other two heads are exhausted. How are they coming?

The rear delts? I'd say they're coming along nicely. I found that doing dips right after hitting rear delts absolutely exhausts the rear delts and the rest of the shoulders and warms up the triceps. I'm going to have to use that combination again.

Bruiser
07-19-11, 10:53 am
The rear delts? I'd say they're coming along nicely. I found that doing dips right after hitting rear delts absolutely exhausts the rear delts and the rest of the shoulders and warms up the triceps. I'm going to have to use that combination again.

That's great man. It took me a long time to get my rear delts growing. They're finally starting to square off nicely. Another one that I found really hits them is doing bench press pull ups. I put the bench on decline, lay down, grab the bar and pull my chest up towards the bar. It nails the rear delts and the lats too.

Theonidus
07-19-11, 11:39 am
That's great man. It took me a long time to get my rear delts growing. They're finally starting to square off nicely. Another one that I found really hits them is doing bench press pull ups. I put the bench on decline, lay down, grab the bar and pull my chest up towards the bar. It nails the rear delts and the lats too.

With lacrosse now and swimming in my past life, rear delts have never really been an issue because of simply how you move through the motions of the sports. Plus with my completely skewed skeletal structure, it's not like I plan on ever doing any shows anyways. Haha.

Bruiser
07-19-11, 12:03 pm
Plus with my completely skewed skeletal structure, it's not like I plan on ever doing any shows anyways. Haha.

I know the feeling. I'm 5'11" and have less than a 30" inseam! I'm all torso so it would be so hard to get my body to look proportionate in order to compete. I would have to almost make my lats too big in order to make my torso look shorter. The other thing is I can't train legs too hard because I've got natutally big legs and since they're so short I don't need much mass on them to make them look good. Damn freaky body! LOL What's your issues?

Theonidus
07-19-11, 1:57 pm
I know the feeling. I'm 5'11" and have less than a 30" inseam! I'm all torso so it would be so hard to get my body to look proportionate in order to compete. I would have to almost make my lats too big in order to make my torso look shorter. The other thing is I can't train legs too hard because I've got natutally big legs and since they're so short I don't need much mass on them to make them look good. Damn freaky body! LOL What's your issues?

Odd shoulder blade issues (which make flat barbell bench a bitch) and my girlishly wide hips. My lats aren't particularly small, but they don't taper down to a slim waist.

Bruiser
07-19-11, 2:05 pm
Odd shoulder blade issues (which make flat barbell bench a bitch) and my girlishly wide hips. My lats aren't particularly small, but they don't taper down to a slim waist.

I forgot you can hold a soda can between your shoulder blades! We all got our issues and do what we have to do though.

Theonidus
07-19-11, 9:04 pm
This was the most brutal leg day I've had in a long while. I definitely earned my Torrent with this one.

Warm-ups:
10 minutes varied intensity on stationary bike, dynamic stretching afterwords

Leg Extensions:
Warm up set of 50
2 working sets of 10-10-2-20

Hack Squats:
Set 1: 1 pps x 10
2: 2 pps x 10
3: 3 pps x 4, drop set to 1 pps x 6
-Focused on slowly lowering down to just below parallel, exploding back up

Walking lunges:
2 sets, second set with a 50-lb straight bar on my shoulders
-Dripping sweat everywhere, getting weird looks from the women walking out of the step aerobics class. Whateva.

Squats:
Set 1: 135 x 10
2: 185 x 6
3: 225 x 4
4: 225 x 3
5: 135 x 5
-Squats are getting better: form is improving, muscle fiber recruitment is getting much, much better.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts:
3 sets, 135 x 10

Lying Hamstring curls:
2 sets, 15 reps

Hip Adductor/Abductor Machine:
2 sets each, 15 reps each

I almost splooged all over self when I got to the foam roller. Stretched for about 10 minutes before leaving the gym.

Phil800101
07-20-11, 3:38 am
Sick work my man!

GUNS
07-20-11, 4:01 am
Great job not splooging! Thats a lot of volume, 19 sets. Killer!

Theonidus
07-20-11, 9:45 am
Sick work my man!

Gettin' there. Mr. Dead Phil this morning took a lot of the stiffness out of my knees/hamstrings/hips.

Great job not splooging! Thats a lot of volume, 19 sets. Killer!

I didn't even realize I had hit 19 sets. I just had a rough idea of what I wanted to do and went to failure on squats. The RA's at the dorm I'm living in for the summer finally unlocked the cardio room. Doing the stationary bike this morning felt AMAZING.

Cellardweller
07-20-11, 11:25 am
Solid leg work there T.

Theonidus
07-21-11, 9:58 am
Rotator cuff warm-ups, with a little stretching for the tris/shoulders

Decline Bench Press:
135 x 10
185 x 6
225 x 4
245 x 2 (The most weight I've ever gotten underneath, adrenaline rush for certain)
135 x 8
-For these, I decided to employ DY's theory of a "loaded spring", lowering the weight to my chest on a 3-count and exploding back up. These nearly made me leave the gym afterwords. LOL

Incline Dumbbell Press:
45's x 12
55's x 10
65's x 6

Incline DBell flyes:
35's x 10
40's x 8
45's x 6

-Triceps were obviously weakened a little from Monday's workout, so I just did some accessory work
CGBP:
2 sets, 135 x 10

Dumbbell Overhead Extension:
2 sets

Cable Rope Pushdown:
2 sets, pausing at full extension, drop sets when I got to failure with the original weight

Left with a good pump in the chest and triceps. Time for Back today, lots of pulling.

Cellardweller
07-21-11, 11:04 am
245 x 2 (The most weight I've ever gotten underneath, adrenaline rush for certain)

Love that feeling. Next week I want 3 reps.

Theonidus
07-21-11, 11:14 am
Love that feeling. Next week I want 3 reps.

You want 3? I want 5.

Cellardweller
07-21-11, 11:25 am
Make it happen.

Phil800101
07-21-11, 3:21 pm
Strong session there bro!

Theonidus
07-22-11, 4:19 pm
It's been a crazy day at work, and am just now getting around to posting last night's workout. Even though I only have an hour left until the weekend begins.

Warm-ups:
Stationary bike, Foam Roller, Kettlebell cleans

Deadlifts:135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 8
255 x 6
275 x 4 (Grip started to fail on 3, switched to over/under grip for 4th)
315 x 3 (Awesome feeling, didn't expect to bang out the 3rd. This sets a new PR)
135 x 20 (following Animal routine 5 on deads...)

Shrugs (with 135):
Olympic-Grip shrugs: 2 sets, 15 reps
Behind-the-back shrugs: 2 sets, 15 reps

Calf work:
An abbreviated version of Veal-300. Doing them in the vibrams makes me feel like I'm going to break a toe or two off.

Bent-over unilateral dumbbell rows
Close-grip pulldowns

Taking today off. I definitely need the rest/recovery after heavy squats and heavy deads two days later.
Going to drive back to Rolla tonight to see my girlfriend graduate from nursing school, celebrate with her, and then a float trip with a few of the frat brothers tomorrow afternoon. Should be a relaxing weekend.

Bruiser
07-22-11, 4:29 pm
Lots of good work here man. Good luck having a nice relaxing weekend when you're gonna be too sore to move. LOL

Theonidus
07-22-11, 4:32 pm
Lots of good work here man. Good luck having a nice relaxing weekend when you're gonna be too sore to move. LOL

Hence the float trip, not soccer game this round. Haha.

My manager actually noticed that I was walking differently. I tried to explain to him heavy deads and what they did to my lower back and hamstrings. It's a good sore, though. No pain. I think I've gotten the form for deads down correctly now.

Theonidus
07-25-11, 10:48 am
Weekend was relaxing. Ate a lot of terrible foods (ice cream, twizzlers, etc.) But I think I honestly needed it. I was slowly starting to lose my sanity.

Anyways, I got my Ultra Whey Pro, Slaughtermelon, and Animal shirts by UPS over the weekend. So, I'll definitely be raging out and rocking one of the T's in the gym to do Delts and Tris later this afternoon after work.

Bruiser
07-25-11, 10:57 am
Weekend was relaxing. Ate a lot of terrible foods (ice cream, twizzlers, etc.) But I think I honestly needed it. I was slowly starting to lose my sanity.

Anyways, I got my Ultra Whey Pro, Slaughtermelon, and Animal shirts by UPS over the weekend. So, I'll definitely be raging out and rocking one of the T's in the gym to do Delts and Tris later this afternoon after work.

Sounds like you had a good weekend man. Don't worry about cheating on the diet, we all need it once in a while. So, you got some Animal T's huh? Thanks man, just don't forget that I wear and XL... LOL

Theonidus
07-25-11, 11:20 am
Sounds like you had a good weekend man. Don't worry about cheating on the diet, we all need it once in a while. So, you got some Animal T's huh? Thanks man, just don't forget that I wear and XL... LOL

Thanks, brother. I realized that even with my little cheat meal, I didn't do so badly as those few weeks where I really let my diet slide. Back to the grindstone today.

What's your address? I'll ship you a "custom" Animal shirt. LOL a white T from Wal-Mart that I've taken a sharpie to...

GUNS
07-25-11, 12:57 pm
PICS!

Bruiser
07-25-11, 1:04 pm
What's your address? I'll ship you a "custom" Animal shirt. LOL a white T from Wal-Mart that I've taken a sharpie to...

If you make it and pay the shipping... I'll wear it and post a pic!!

Theonidus
07-25-11, 1:16 pm
PICS!

Pics of the Animal shirt? I'll see what I can do...

Phil800101
07-25-11, 2:27 pm
Killer session there my man!

Theonidus
07-25-11, 9:42 pm
Slammed some Slaughtermelon on the way to the gym. This is some potent stuff, and the taste is infinitely better than the few times I tried the launch Orange Juiced. Apple Jacked is up next...

5 minutes on stationary bike for a warm-up, followed by stretching and some rotator cuff work

Dumbbell Should Press:
40's x 12
50's x 10
60's x 6 (failed on the 7th rep, I'm loving the idea of pushing myself beyond what I thought possible)

Dumbbell Lateral Raises:
10's x 15
2 sets, double drop sets: 25's to failure, 15's to failure, then 10's to failure
5's to failure (basically 25 reps before my delts felt like they were going to simply combust)

Low-cable lateral raise:
6 reps each arm, just focusing on holding the weight up and emphasizing the negative

Rear Dumbbell Lateral Raise:
2 sets, 10 reps

Dips:
Bodyweight, 3 sets, 15 reps

Straight-bar cable pushdown:
2 sets

Skullcrushers w/ EZ-bar:
2 sets

Dumbbell overhead extension:
2 sets

Unilateral Cable Rope pushdown:
2 sets

-Ab work, sipping on Torrent

Focused the tricep portion on hitting it hard, heavy, just two sets per exercise, and from as many angles as possible. Delts feel fried, triceps are pumped. Looking forward to leg day tomorrow, Slaughtermelon fueled...

Phil800101
07-26-11, 12:47 am
Hitting the delts from all angles, good stuff!

Bruiser
07-26-11, 7:39 am
That's a damn big day man. How long did it take you to hit delts and tri's?

Theonidus
07-26-11, 9:34 am
Hitting the delts from all angles, good stuff!

One day at a time, stronger than before.

That's a damn big day man. How long did it take you to hit delts and tri's?

There's no way the actual lifting portion took me over an hour. I think the lifting was right at 56 minutes. Silly Slaughtermelon. I didn't crash towards the end. I had to quit for the sake of knowing I needed to quit.

GUNS
07-26-11, 12:41 pm
Thats rage for you. No crash and you can keep going like the energizer bunny!

Theonidus
07-27-11, 11:02 am
Pre: Slaughtermelon
Intra: 1/2 of water with Atomic 7

Warm ups:
5 minutes stationary bike, stretches

Leg Extensions:
1 set of 50
2 sets 10-10-2-20

Hack Slide Machine:
1 pps x 10
2 pps x 10

Squats:
bar x 5
135 x 5
155 x 8
185 x 6
205 x 4
225 x 4 (New PR, stronger than last week)
135 x 10 (all that was left in the tank)

Weighted Walking Lunges:
50 lb, strait bar, 2 sets, length of gym

15 minutes on stationary bike, 10 minutes of foam roller

Wanted to put more sets into the workout, but definitiely exhausted the quads with just this. I'll have to hit hamstrings on deadlift day on Thurs.

Bruiser
07-27-11, 11:31 am
That's a good plan to hit hams another day if you can crush the quads like this. Nice work little bro.

Cellardweller
07-27-11, 1:13 pm
Leg Extensions:
1 set of 50

BEAST!!! I was thinking of one day making leg extensions and leg curls the focus of my workout just to shock the shit out of my legs.

Theonidus
07-27-11, 1:25 pm
BEAST!!! I was thinking of one day making leg extensions and leg curls the focus of my workout just to shock the shit out of my legs.

The idea was to basically just shock the quads. I've been sitting in a box from 8-4 (no lunch break since I eat my 2 meals and 2 shakes at my desk) and it's a 10-15 minute drive to the gym. My knees are improving the more I squat and work on them, but getting the blood flow going is important. I only had about 70lbs on the leg extension, but by the end it felt like I had a VW beetle. It's a great warm-up tool.

Phil800101
07-27-11, 1:50 pm
Killer, congrats on the PR! I know you've got to be feeling that one today.

Cellardweller
07-27-11, 2:04 pm
The idea was to basically just shock the quads. I've been sitting in a box from 8-4 (no lunch break since I eat my 2 meals and 2 shakes at my desk) and it's a 10-15 minute drive to the gym. My knees are improving the more I squat and work on them, but getting the blood flow going is important. I only had about 70lbs on the leg extension, but by the end it felt like I had a VW beetle. It's a great warm-up tool.

There is no "only 70lbs." As long as you roast the shit out of your legs, that's all that matters. Numbers are only reference for your progress. That was an awesome set and I was impressed without even knowing what you were useing. The only reason I post numbers up in my Journy is for me. Just to track my progress and to show that I am making improvement, or not. Just keep killing it.

Theonidus
07-27-11, 2:29 pm
That's a good plan to hit hams another day if you can crush the quads like this. Nice work little bro.

I'm definitely just going to do deads and hams. I'll lift Saturday mid-morning while my girlfriend is at work. Probably back and bis then. I hate doing bis.

Killer, congrats on the PR! I know you've got to be feeling that one today.

Working on the third floor of the main building and having to go to the second floor of the other, attached building is torture when your hips, quads, and ass are sore. LOL

There is no "only 70lbs." As long as you roast the shit out of your legs, that's all that matters. Numbers are only reference for your progress. That was an awesome set and I was impressed without even knowing what you were useing. The only reason I post numbers up in my Journy is for me. Just to track my progress and to show that I am making improvement, or not. Just keep killing it.

The numbers I could honestly care less about. I care more about performance. Before working at this internship, I was always either working on the farm or on a mission trip to somewhere. Bench press poundage adds up to absolutely nothing. Then, and now on the lacrosse field. I'm just out to be better than I was before.
And I will keep killing it.

Thanks for the support, brothers!

Bruiser
07-27-11, 2:54 pm
I'm definitely just going to do deads and hams. I'll lift Saturday mid-morning while my girlfriend is at work. Probably back and bis then. I hate doing bis.

What are you doing for your bicep workout?

Cellardweller
07-27-11, 2:55 pm
I'm just out to be better than I was before.
And I will keep killing it.

That's it right there!!! Damn, I want to go back to the gym right now!!!

Theonidus
07-27-11, 3:25 pm
What are you doing for your bicep workout?

I don't particularly have a plan. It will most depend upon what's available once I get there. But it will probably be heavy preacher curls, some spider curls, and either alternating incline or hammer curls.

Bruiser
07-27-11, 3:48 pm
I don't particularly have a plan. It will most depend upon what's available once I get there. But it will probably be heavy preacher curls, some spider curls, and either alternating incline or hammer curls.

Have you tried the B3 yet? If you hate doing biceps that one might be good for you. You can knock your whole bicep day out in less than 15 minutes.

Theonidus
07-27-11, 4:32 pm
Have you tried the B3 yet? If you hate doing biceps that one might be good for you. You can knock your whole bicep day out in less than 15 minutes.

I went cruising through your Tips and Back from Hell, but I can't seem to find the 'ole B3.
Could you just post it here?

Bruiser
07-27-11, 6:17 pm
You'll need a preacher curl bench and four dumbbells.

Take the weight for one arm dumbbell curls that you rep for 8-10 (for example we'll call it 35 lbs). Another dumbbell will be five less pounds (30 lb dumbbell). Then another five less (25 lbs). Finally another five less (20 lbs.) It's important to have four dumbbells for this, becasue you need to move quickly from one weight to the next with no rest periods except for what you get while the other arm is curling. It's like a psychotic and twisted variation of drop sets. But instead you go up.

Set 1: Do these with no break in between. Your rest period is while the other arm is curling.

Part One: 20 reps each arm with the 20 lb DB
Part Two: 15 reps each arm with the 25 lb
Part Three: 10 reps each arm with the 30 lb
Part Four: 5 reps each arm with the 35 lb.

Rest 30 seconds (ONLY IF NEEDED) and repeat for four sets.

You will be getting 50 reps per set/each arm. With doing four sets you end up hitting 200 reps/each arm. On arm day, you can do just this technique for biceps and knock it out in less than fifteen minutes. You won't be able to move your arms for two days, but this will kickstart some SERIOUS new growth.

GUNS
07-28-11, 2:53 am
Why do you dislike Bi's so much? Don't over do them. Hell you could hit one execise a week and they should grow. If you don't like doing them, try one exercise only. Some DB curls, BB curls, Preachers or do 21's. Bruisers B3 is good, and you may like that approach as well. I would say if any one exercise built my bi's, it would be 21's with a BB or EZ bar. 3 sets, all out. Cheat like hell at the end if you need too. remember your static and negative portion of your lift. And think in your mind that every single rep your arm is a balloon, and every rep your blowing more air in them, by the last rep, your arms will be filling up the room.

Theonidus
07-28-11, 9:25 am
Warm ups:
Rotator cuff work. No time for cardio, and definitely no real need. I was alreay sitting in ball soup just on the way to the gym. This heat needs to break.

Decline Barbell Press:
bar x 5
135 x 5
155 x 8
185 x 6
205 x 4
225 x 5, with 1 barely assisted (should have put more weight on the bar, but definitely new PR for 225)

Incline DB Press:
50's x 12
70's x 6
55's x 10

Machine Flyes:
3 sets, 12-8

Parallel Bar Dips:
BW, 3 sets, 12 reps

EZ-Bar Reverse Curl, supersetted w/ overhead press (close grip):
2 sets, 10 reps each exercise

I don't know if it's the workout plan or that combined with the diet, but I'm beginning to like the numbers I'm writing in this Journey.
Went to a Cardinal's game last night (Bruiser, the Cubs can go headbutt a bullet) with the girlfriend. It was fun, it just took all of my time between 6:15 and midnight. So I got barely enough sleep to not feel like death this morning, and I didn't get to prepare my meals for today. Looks like I'm relying on the cafeteria or maybe Subway to get enough calories in before deads today.

Theonidus
07-28-11, 9:37 am
Why do you dislike Bi's so much? Don't over do them.

Hell, it probably stems from when I first started working out towards the tail end of Senior year of High School with my friends. I could easily convince them to do chest/triceps, or even back and biceps. But when it came to leg day, dead lift day, or hang cleans/military press, I was basically on my own. They weren't interested in doing the exercises that would make you a beast, but rather those lifts that make your already too-tight shirt stretch a little more at parties. That's never been me.
Mostly, I've just never had much time to hit them directly. But I know I need to. My pulling movements (lat pulldowns, rows, etc) are starting to suffer a little.

Solid Dreams
07-28-11, 4:56 pm
When you bike do you feel like you can do better on squats? When I do 10 minutes or so I feel like I could squat a hell of a lot more than if I just did regular stretches. I ask because in the beginning you were talking about doing squats later on in the workout, and that's what I've started doing to be ready.

I'm definitely liking the hack squats, although I'm not sure if that's because there's never anybody on them and I dont have to wait for joe schmoe to finish curling to do them...Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Theonidus
07-29-11, 9:48 am
When you bike do you feel like you can do better on squats? When I do 10 minutes or so I feel like I could squat a hell of a lot more than if I just did regular stretches. I ask because in the beginning you were talking about doing squats later on in the workout, and that's what I've started doing to be ready.

I'm definitely liking the hack squats, although I'm not sure if that's because there's never anybody on them and I dont have to wait for joe schmoe to finish curling to do them...Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I do the bike for a few minutes to get my knees warmed up. Which is basically the same reason I do a few sets of something before squats. Leg extensions are a great way to get my knee flexors and such nice and lubed. I have really terrible knees: with tendonitis, ACL re-attachment, and Osgood–Schlatter disease. I probably shouldn't be able to walk. But the more I do squats, the better my knees get over time.

Theonidus
07-29-11, 10:01 am
Diet was a little off-point, and sleep was much less than desired. But I still managed to power through this session.

Warm-ups:
Stationary Bike for 5 minutes, Foam Roller

Lying Hamstring Curls:
4 sets, 12-6
(Probably not the best idea, the pre-exhaust seemed to make the deads a little wobbly)

Deads:
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 8
275 x 6
315 x 4
350 x 2
(Switched to Sumo Stance)
2 sets, 135 x 10

Shrugs:
4 sets, 12-15 reps
-2 sets with Olympic grip, 2 sets behind-the-back

Calf Raises:
2 sets seated calf raise, 2 sets standing

Stationary bike for 15 minutes, Foam Roller and stretching for 10

Cellardweller
07-29-11, 6:28 pm
Solid looking day. Bet your hamstrings were crying.

Bruiser
07-29-11, 6:35 pm
How do you like breaking up the quads and hams? Seems to be treating you good.

Phil800101
07-30-11, 5:08 am
Sick work bro!

Theonidus
08-01-11, 9:18 am
Solid looking day. Bet your hamstrings were crying.

You have no idea. There was much weeping and nashing of teeth that night, soreness throughout the weekend.

How do you like breaking up the quads and hams? Seems to be treating you good.

I think I'm going to stick with such a split. It allows me to really focus more on the quads on Tuesdays, and Smash the deads hard on Thursdays. I just need to tweak the hammy day around a little.

Sick work bro!

Thanks, brother. How's the Mr. Dead Phil treating you?

Theonidus
08-01-11, 9:20 am
I acquired my free promo tub of Atomic 7 Black Cherry Bomb from the fraternity house over the weekend. I must say that the taste is phenomenal. I didn't think it would be possible to beat the Juicy Watermelon flavor. But alas, I would be wrong.

Looking forward to training delts and tris today with it in my 1/2 gallon of water.

Bruiser
08-01-11, 10:35 am
I acquired my free promo tub of Atomic 7 Black Cherry Bomb from the fraternity house over the weekend. I must say that the taste is phenomenal. I didn't think it would be possible to beat the Juicy Watermelon flavor. But alas, I would be wrong.

Looking forward to training delts and tris today with it in my 1/2 gallon of water.

I'm sooo jealous!! I'm still waiting for my tub from the "Atomic-7 A Day" promo I won last Monday. I picked the Black Cherry Bomb too.

GUNS
08-01-11, 2:22 pm
Black Cherry is the best flavor for A7 in my opinion.

Theonidus
08-01-11, 2:24 pm
I'm sooo jealous!! I'm still waiting for my tub from the "Atomic-7 A Day" promo I won last Monday. I picked the Black Cherry Bomb too.

Black Cherry is the best flavor for A7 in my opinion.

Black Cherry is already hands-down my favorite flavor of A7. Now if 16:00 would just hurry up so I can clock out and get ready for gym time...

GUNS
08-01-11, 2:29 pm
How many times are you drinking it. I have a serving right when I walk into my office in the morning. Then I drink it intra workout.

Theonidus
08-01-11, 2:40 pm
How many times are you drinking it. I have a serving right when I walk into my office in the morning. Then I drink it intra workout.

I think it was actually you that inspired it. If I don't get up in the morning to go downstairs in the dorm to the cardio room (where I drink a serving intra-cardio) then I'll drink it whilst checking my email in the morning. I also do a serving intra workout with a 1/2 gallon of water.

Phil800101
08-01-11, 4:25 pm
I've had to lay off for a few days, my knees have been troubling me. Feeling better, might do some tonight.

GUNS
08-01-11, 11:29 pm
I think it was actually you that inspired it. If I don't get up in the morning to go downstairs in the dorm to the cardio room (where I drink a serving intra-cardio) then I'll drink it whilst checking my email in the morning. I also do a serving intra workout with a 1/2 gallon of water.

Awesome, hope it works for you. It has been an amazing addition to my day. I think if I did not take Torrent post, that I would probly take it then.

Theonidus
08-02-11, 9:30 am
Decided to turn the shoulder portion around a little. After a 5-minute warm-up on the bike and rotator cuff exercise:

Rear Delt Raise:
1 warm up set, 2 working sets

Military Press:
Sets of 8, 6, 4, 2 (working up to 150lbs), then 95 x 12

Side Lateral Raise:
2 sets, double drop sets (25's to failure, 15's to failure, 5's to failure)

Low-Cable Pulley Raise:
1 set, emphasis on the negative, 6 reps each arm

Skullcrushers:
2 sets, 12 and 10 respectively

Cable Rope Pressdown:
2 sets, squeezing at the bottom, 12-10 reps

Unilateral overhead extension supersetted w/ kickbacks:
2 sets, 6 reps each exercise

One-arm cable pressdown:
1 set, to failure on each arm

15 minutes on elliptical, Torrent post cardio.

Nix0r
08-02-11, 9:38 am
Some solid work going on in here.

Also... holy shit, it is August, but that just means we're a few days out from the ABC!

Bruiser
08-02-11, 10:11 am
You're really hitting a lot of volume lately man. You'll see some real nice gains if you keep this up. And yes, it's August already... for me that means less than a month til I have to go to the waterpark! Maybe I should do some mroe cardio!! LOL

Theonidus
08-02-11, 10:12 am
You're really hitting a lot of volume lately man. You'll see some real nice gains if you keep this up. And yes, it's August already... for me that means less than a month til I have to go to the waterpark! Maybe I should do some mroe cardio!! LOL

Are you going to the ABC? I'm still debating, since it's an 8-hour drive home from Chicago...

Bruiser
08-02-11, 11:03 am
Are you going to the ABC? I'm still debating, since it's an 8-hour drive home from Chicago...

I'm probably not going man. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. And my wife is gone all this week and I'm gonna want to spend time with her when she gets back this weekend.

GUNS
08-02-11, 11:13 am
Drive in, get a hotel, and hit it the next day! Huge oppertunity.

GUNS
08-02-11, 11:15 am
Nice looking delt/tri day!

Theonidus
08-03-11, 9:42 am
Grandmother called me roughly 9 seconds before I was going to slam some Rage and head to the gym at my normal time (roughly 16:30). She got together with my Aunt and decided that before I leave St. Louis on Friday, we should get together and eat dinner. That night. At 6. lol I didn't have enough time to really squeeze in a workout, shower, and head out to where they live.

So I ended up working out at 20:30 instead. Which was a little rough, but the gym was almost empty. And I figured I would hold off on the rage, since I'd like to sleep at some point before work on Wednesday...

5 minutes on bike, stretching

Leg Extensions:
1 set of 50, 2 sets of 10-10-2-20

Squats:
Warm Ups,
bar x 5
95 x 5
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 4
250 x 2
135 x 12

Hack Squats:
3 sets, 8-12

Standing Calf Raise:
3 sets

Hip Adductor/Abductor Machine:
2 sets, 15 reps each exercise

Stationary Bike for 20 minutes, Foam Roller for 10 minutes

GUNS
08-03-11, 10:53 am
Good job getting it in Briscoe .

Theonidus
08-03-11, 1:49 pm
Good job getting it in Briscoe .

I like to think I'm flirting with that fine line between dedication and obsession. Nothing feels better than SUTAS after a solid squat session.

Cellardweller
08-03-11, 1:55 pm
Good work in here T. How do you like that bike after legs?

For the record, I still think grape A7 rocks. Cherry Bomb is good, but the Kool-aide like flavor of grape just rocks. I just take mine intra. I start my day with 3-4 beef amino or Uni Liver tabs for aminos

Theonidus
08-03-11, 2:04 pm
Good work in here T. How do you like that bike after legs?

For the record, I still think grape A7 rocks. Cherry Bomb is good, but the Kool-aide like flavor of grape just rocks. I just take mine intra. I start my day with 3-4 beef amino or Uni Liver tabs for aminos

The bike helps with the tendon tightness after lifting, and definitely helps in aleviating some of the soreness the next morning.
I haven't tried the Grape flavor, but I've never been too big a fan of Grape. I always felt like "Fruit Punch" or "Grape" flavors are always the default left-over flavors after all of the other kids got the cool flavors like Blue Rasberry and Black Cherry Bomb. lol.

Cellardweller
08-03-11, 2:18 pm
Over at the Universal site there's a thread for free samples. Ask Aggression for different samples of A7. It might take a while, but he'll get you some. I got some nice samples of mass gainers and meal replacement powders that way. You just have to tell him what you'd like to try and if corporate has samples, BAM! it's in the mail.

Solid Dreams
08-03-11, 4:36 pm
Do you think the hip abductor actually works? I never seem to get anything out of it, and I always assumed it was just another thing to trap women.

Theonidus
08-03-11, 5:07 pm
Do you think the hip abductor actually works? I never seem to get anything out of it, and I always assumed it was just another thing to trap women.

I love that machine. I'm going to miss it when I have to go back to improvising with bands. But I honestly do feel that with my lateral movements (playing sports a lot) that doing the hip adductor/abductor does help tremendously.

Phil800101
08-03-11, 5:14 pm
Nice work my man! Only a few days now...

Theonidus
08-04-11, 10:10 am
Really focused today on slowly lowering the weight and focusing on the negative. I've started to notice some rather impressive gains from doing this.

Decline Bench:
bar x 5, 95 x 5 for warm up
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 4
250 x 2
135 x 12

Inclince Barbell Bench:
135 x 10
185 x 3, drop set 135 x 5

Incline Hammerstrength Press:
2 sets, 12-10 reps

Incline Flyes:
2 sets, 10 reps
-Spring, I followed your advice and squeezed through the db's at the top. And it definitely added that last bit of fiber stimulation.

EZ-Bar Preacher curl:
2 sets, 10 reps

Close-Grip EZ-Bar curl:
2 sets, 10 reps

One-Arm Cable Curl:
1 set, 6 reps each arm

Finally adding biceps back into the split...

Bruiser
08-04-11, 11:45 am
Are you doing any flat bench work?

Theonidus
08-04-11, 11:53 am
Are you doing any flat bench work?

Not at the moment. I'll do one more week off of flat bench, and the following week get back to the 180 degrees of shoulder blade pain.

Cellardweller
08-04-11, 12:44 pm
I've done routines in the past starting on decline and then hitting incline and not doing flat bench at all. After that I'd hit cable x-overs and incline flyes. You can still hit the whole chest that way. It worked for me. It's amazing how many different ways you can train and how different stuff works differently for different guys.

Theonidus
08-04-11, 1:14 pm
I've done routines in the past starting on decline and then hitting incline and not doing flat bench at all. After that I'd hit cable x-overs and incline flyes. You can still hit the whole chest that way. It worked for me. It's amazing how many different ways you can train and how different stuff works differently for different guys.

Which is why I love this game. There is no right or wrong answer, just basic advice and guidelines. But in two weeks I'm actually not going to have access to a specified incline or decline bench (I hate my student weight room), and there will be much work with DB's.

Cellardweller
08-04-11, 1:16 pm
I have new appreciation for dumbells. Look at Bruiser's workouts. You can get so much out of them.

Solid Dreams
08-04-11, 1:18 pm
Same. I feel like I'm developing a lot better now that I'm not worried about doing flat bench press, because before I was just about getting the numbers up.

Bruiser
08-04-11, 1:40 pm
I have new appreciation for dumbells. Look at Bruiser's workouts. You can get so much out of them.

Thanks man. If you look back at my progress pics from X-Mas 2010 to April 2011 all I had to use what a set of 20 lb DBs and a resistance band. It's all in the mindset, not the equipment.

Theonidus
08-04-11, 2:29 pm
Thanks man. If you look back at my progress pics from X-Mas 2010 to April 2011 all I had to use what a set of 20 lb DBs and a resistance band. It's all in the mindset, not the equipment.

You're definintely an inspiration, Bruiser. I'm going to be a long-time user of this site for advice and instight, that's for certain.

Cellardweller
08-04-11, 2:32 pm

Giving props where they're due. You're innovative and train with Animal intensity, and yeah, that's inspiring.

Theonidus
08-05-11, 9:35 am
Well, today is the last day of my internship. Big thanks to the guys here on the FORVM for making sure I always at least looked busy by typing something. lol
It looks like I'll be going to the Chicago ABC. I have a few friends that I'm going to stay with while I'm there, and I'm going to stop and sleep in St. Louis at my grandmother's on the way back to break up the return trip.

Warm-ups:
5 minutes on stationary bike

Dumbell pullovers:
2 sets, 10 reps

Deads:
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 8
275 x 6
315 x 4
375 x 1 (missed 2, sadly)
315 x 1
135 x 12

Shrugs:
Wide Grip: 2 sets, 12 reps
Behind the Back: 2 sets, 10 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs: 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts:
135, 3 sets, a very slow, painful 5 reps each

Lying Hamstring curl:
2 sets, 10 reps each

Bruiser
08-05-11, 11:55 am
You're definintely an inspiration, Bruiser. I'm going to be a long-time user of this site for advice and instight, that's for certain.

Giving props where they're due. You're innovative and train with Animal intensity, and yeah, that's inspiring.

Thanks guys. That means a lot.

GUNS
08-05-11, 2:10 pm
Really focused today on slowly lowering the weight and focusing on the negative. I've started to notice some rather impressive gains from doing this.

Glad to see you are liking this. This is one of them golden rule that all the ego heads can't fallow. This will build the muscle way better than slamming it around and bouncing or just moving the weight. Smart T.

GUNS
08-07-11, 2:21 am
Pics of the ABC?

Phil800101
08-07-11, 2:57 am
Solid! Great meeting you today bro.

Theonidus
08-08-11, 2:18 am
Pics of the ABC?

Phil has them somewhere. I can't seem to get my browser to load photobucket.
Phil, could you put them up on Facebook or something different?

Theonidus
08-08-11, 2:19 am
Solid! Great meeting you today bro.

Good to meet you, too, Phil. Hope to see you again and train with you some time!

Phil800101
08-08-11, 3:08 am
Phil has them somewhere. I can't seem to get my browser to load photobucket.
Phil, could you put them up on Facebook or something different?

I sent you a friend request. Pics are on my page.

Good to meet you, too, Phil. Hope to see you again and train with you some time!

Same here bro.

Bruiser
08-08-11, 6:13 am
Hey bro. Sorry I couldn't make it down to the ABC Saturday. It happened to fall on the weekend where there were the two things going on that I love more than training... spending time with the family and doing things to help my son. Maybe next time though. I'm dying to train with you man. It sounds like you had a great time. That's awesome.

Theonidus
08-18-11, 2:44 pm
After the ABC, I went home for a week before moving back to Rolla to get settled in before classes start back up.

I've been training, still trying to keep on a decent diet. But drinking with friends here has made it a little bit difficult to stay on point. I'm trying to find a training partner here, but it seems that finding another Animal is more difficult that I had thought. Haha.

Nix0r
08-18-11, 2:50 pm
After the ABC, I went home for a week before moving back to Rolla to get settled in before classes start back up.

I've been training, still trying to keep on a decent diet. But drinking with friends here has made it a little bit difficult to stay on point. I'm trying to find a training partner here, but it seems that finding another Animal is more difficult that I had thought. Haha.

I'm with you on the drinking thing. I'm going to a craft beer festival on Saturday. Unlimited tastings for 4 hours, and my favorite brewery of all time (Stone Brewing Company) is going to be there. Bring on the pain.

Cellardweller
08-18-11, 3:06 pm

If you can't find another Animal, then make one LOL. Find someone with some drive and feed his flames man. I'm flying solo but lift in a fricken racket club. Slim pickins for converts for sure.

Theonidus
08-18-11, 3:25 pm
If you can't find another Animal, then make one LOL. Find someone with some drive and feed his flames man. I'm flying solo but lift in a fricken racket club. Slim pickins for converts for sure.

Once the dust settles and I get my routine back down, I'll be sure to be on the lookout for someone who fits the bill. Too many kids in the gym here at the Student Rec center like the "bar muscle" workouts: chest, arms, abs. Anyone doing curls in the squat rack/cages is automatically out. LOL

Phil800101
08-19-11, 1:45 am
I feel ya on that one bro. A lot of college students are dumbasses when it comes to the gym.

Theonidus
08-19-11, 1:44 pm
Getting back into logging my workouts here...
A lot of volume today. But it wasn't anything too heavy, and I was having too much fun.

Rotator Cuff work, supersetted with rear lateral raise:
2 sets, 10 slow reps, each exercise

DBell Shoulder Press:
40's x 10
50's x 8
60's x 5 (barely missed the sixth)
60's x 4 drop set to 30's x 8

Side lateral raise:
3 x 15-10. drop set on the 3rd set

Low-cable delt raise:
1 set, very slow 6 reps for each arm

Rope Cable Pushdowns:
3 sets, 15 reps

Skull Crushers with EZ-bar:
40's for warm up
80 x 8
100 x 8
100 x 6

Unilateral overhead press:
3 sets, 6 slow reps

One-arm Cable Pushdowns:
1 set, ~6 reps each arm

Reverse Curl supersetted with Behind-the-neck press (same EZ bar, same weight):
2 sets, 10 reps each exercise

GUNS
08-19-11, 1:48 pm
Nothing wrong with going and having fun. If this aint your job and you have no plan to make it so. This is a great time for you to be doing what your doing.

Solid workout Theo!

Theonidus
08-20-11, 2:29 pm
Starting to try and find a new program (separate from Dorian's Blood and Guts and Animal Routine 5) for the next few weeks. I decided to cruise through BB.com and modified Terry Crews' Lat workout.

5 Minutes on Stationary Bike

Romanian Deadlift:
4 sets, 1 warm up, 3 working sets 8-10
Wide-Grip Chins:
2 sets to failure, added straps for a third set to failure
Reverse-Grip Bent-Over Row:
3 sets of 10, drop set on the third to make all ten reps
One-Arm DB Row:
3 sets, 10 reps each side
Close-Grip Pulldown:
3 x 10
Mid-Row on the useless "Lifefitness" Machine:
3x10

Cooldowns:
Hyperextensions: 3 sets, 10 reps
Ab Work

Only got up to 225 on the Romanian deads. But 2 sets of 10 reps of 225 felt strong after heavy deads on Wednesday. I need to get my Excel back in working order and set up a workout outline for the next 6-8 weeks.

Cellardweller
08-21-11, 12:45 pm
LIke the drop on the rows to make your rep goal. Keep hammering it man.

Theonidus
08-21-11, 6:36 pm
I don't know what really happened when I walked into the gym this afternoon. Doing 3x10 on everything for one body part didn't sound right. So I went with an old football lifting workout.

5 minutes stationary bike, knees definitely needed it.

Hang Cleans: Warm up set with bar, 5 working sets of 4
Front Squats: Warm up set with bar, 5 working sets of 4
Stiff-Legged Deads: 3 sets, 10 slow reps to feel the squeeze

18 more minutes on stationary bike

In, lifted hard, did the always-hated cardio, and out. Pump felt amazing. I think I'm going to stick with a hybridized power building routine. I'm definitely liking it a lot more than any bodybuilding style that I've tried. And it's not like I'm ever going to be on stage.