PDA

View Full Version : Milk Post Workout

NJC_Manhattan
06-07-11, 7:44 pm
Superior to whey? Yay or Nay?

Back To Basics
06-07-11, 8:20 pm
I wouldn't think so, if your taking milk you'll need to drink like a liter post workout and still wont get 50 grams of whey which you would get from two scoops.. Yeah you have the sugar in the milk from lactose for an insulin spike but don't think it's worth it. Plus the digestion rates would be slower obviously from the Milk.

rev8ball
06-07-11, 8:33 pm
Superior to whey? Yay or Nay?

Low to nonfat choc milk post is a great and inexpensive alternative to PWO drinks. Better? Not necessarily. But I have had many of my athletes (mostly college on a fixed income) do this and with great results. Decent amount of research on it, too.

Hell, I've even used it intra-workout....

JasonG
06-07-11, 10:16 pm

Wow don't think I could handle that intra especially on a leg or back day lol.

BarbellManiac
06-07-11, 10:48 pm

I was reading one of GV's column in an old MD talking about how the Barbarian Brothers used to drink a gallon of that shit during their workout and puke it when training hard. Nasty...

dannynb
06-07-11, 11:14 pm
Low to nonfat choc milk post is a great and inexpensive alternative to PWO drinks. Better? Not necessarily. But I have had many of my athletes (mostly college on a fixed income) do this and with great results. Decent amount of research on it, too.

Ditto....many of my athletes use at in their pwo with great results. Def an under rated addition.

Dingo
06-08-11, 12:10 am

why low to no fat? I love promised land midnight chocolate milk from time to time pwo....

getapump
06-08-11, 12:35 am
as others have already said... i would absolutely encourage it. even though its primarily casein i used to pound anywhere from 45-60 ounces post workout when i hell bent on gaining weight a couple years ago. i loved it, and i will still do it when im not dieting (which, unfortunately i currently am). i should be done though within 3-4 weeks and you can bet the ranch that when adding weight to the bar is my number one priority i will be downing near a half gallon of that shit after each workout. and the reason for low fat is that i believe the fat can slow and hinder the digestion of the nutrient uptake immediately post workout, making it less ideal than low or no fat.

rev8ball
06-08-11, 1:02 am

I was reading one of GV's column in an old MD talking about how the Barbarian Brothers used to drink a gallon of that shit during their workout and puke it when training hard. Nasty...

LOL, never had a puking prob with it, even on my heaviest days.

Didn't prefer it, but sometimes you have to do. But I tell ya, ice-cold NF milk tastes sooooo good........

rev8ball
06-08-11, 1:03 am
why low to no fat? I love promised land midnight chocolate milk from time to time pwo....

Higher fat content can slow the abosrbtion of carbs and proteins, nothing you want post workout....

Appollonian
06-08-11, 7:38 am
I don't drink it as an alternative but as an addition to my postworkout shake

1 Scoop iso-whey + 1 serving Blue Storm + 45 - 60 orange Gatorade + 12 oz semi frozen milk

The semi-frozen milk gives this shake a milkshake like consistency as the isolate forms to the frozen chunks... very good.

The way I see it, I grew like a weed when I was drinking nearly a gallon a day when I was in my growth spurt, so why can't it help now? I drink a lot less now, mainly due to the fact for most of the day I'm not near a major refrigeration source, but milk either as an alternative or an addition to a postworkout nutrition sounds good to me.

Dingo
06-08-11, 8:18 am
Higher fat content can slow the abosrbtion of carbs and proteins, nothing you want post workout....

duh... i dont know where my head was last night. thanks though. its funny how sometimes the stuff you already know eludes you. anyway thanks for clarification.

NJC_Manhattan
06-08-11, 9:23 am
The reason I ask, is that I haven't taken whey post workout in over 2 months. Replaced with Fat Free Milk. Have had similar if not better gains, and my fat loss has gone up.

But, I do drink a BCAA mix during my workout/after.

Bruiser
06-08-11, 9:32 am
I always use milk in PWO shake. I try to drink a gallon of milk a day and since I have, I've seen some good mass piling on. Okay, fine. Since no one else has the balls to say it... Milk. It does a body good.

Aggression
06-08-11, 9:35 am
Whey isn't necessary post-WO. I haven't used whey protein in almost a year, yet I've had the best gains of my life as of late. I've been using EAA Nitro. Simple sugars are more important than protein, IMO. So as REV stated, chocolate milk would be a great choice, as the milk would provide some protein and you'll be getting a solid amount of simple sugars in the form of the 'chocolate mix'. I don't drink milk on the daily basis, but every now and then, I'll stop at a store for a postWO 'double dutch chocolate milk' for a change of pace.

Wingman
06-08-11, 12:50 pm
When I was up in college, and I lived off of Milk and Shakes PWO. I noticed the difference between whole fat, and non-fat Chocolate milk immediately. I felt the difference in muscle depletion, whole fat making it a lot worse. Non-fat was smooth and was easy on-the-go, classes, and anything in between. Another thing I noticed, was I found "no sugar added" Choco milk. That being said, I was also not trying to load up on lactose, I also did not want to put HFCS into my system willingly. Nutella is a good PWO meal 45-60 mins after a workout. Put that on some bread and chow down.

Brick By Brick
06-08-11, 1:58 pm
I always use milk in PWO shake. I try to drink a gallon of milk a day and since I have, I've seen some good mass piling on. Okay, fine. Since no one else has the balls to say it... Milk. It does a body good.

You beat me to it. 2% milk + creatine + whey pwo = good good good.

zubda345
06-08-11, 3:54 pm
Milk postworkout, I love, It's the least I can do and it's good for my body.