PDA

View Full Version : POWERBUILDING: A Byrd's Eye View

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Big Byrd
06-08-11, 2:46 pm
Ok Animals, a new vision, a new quest, and thus a new training log. But first an introduction:

My name is Sam Byrd. I compete in both power lifting and bodybuilding. However, i dont consider myself a powerlifter or a bodybuilder. A powerlifter trains to get as strong as possible while keeping weight proportionally low and without regard for his physical appearance. A bodybuilder trains to get as big and shapely as possible without regard to absolute strength. My goal is to be as strong as i look and look stronger than i am. My goal is to build both size and strength. Thats how i started, but i got sidetracked once i started competing in powerlifting by trying to keep my weight down while pushing the strength. Ive kept my weight around 230 for the last 6 years trying to stay in the 220 class, but no more.

Its time to start eating and pushing the scale again. Move my bodyweight up and hopefully see a corresponding increase in strength. But not at the expense of excess bodyfat. I have enlisted the help of a friend of mine who is trusted nutritionist, John O' Reagan, because i just dont have the time to learn and implement everything myself. He has worked with serveral bodybuilders who turned pro under his guidance and many national level competitors. Im a busy guy and i am delegating that responsibility to him so its just one less thing i have to worry about. I have been working with him for the last year and am very pleased with the progress i have made so far.

I am also taking time to fix muscular imbalances ive created over the years. Again, i put this in another's hands. I am working with Mike Robertson to fix these issues.

Current Goals:
1. Rehab existing injuries and fix muscular imbalances.
2. Get meal plans set
3. Get training in order
4. Compete in a bodybuilding show
5. Take my raw squat records back (not worried about geared records)
6. Compete against the Russians
7. Graduate law school and start working

Competitions:

Bodybuilding: NPC Tennessee State on Aug 13, 2011

Powerlifting:
Mr. Olympia ANIMAL CAGE exhibition lifting Sept. 15th, 2011
RUM 5 (Raw Unity Meet) in Texas sometime in Jan 2012

Personal: Graduate law school May 2012

Aggression
06-08-11, 2:54 pm
Looks like you have it all nailed down, B. I worked with John during my contest prep for my bodybuilding show back in '09. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops here. There's no doubt that you'll accomplish all those goals in time.

Shark52
06-08-11, 2:59 pm
wired to the T brotha!!! Good luck

Big Byrd
06-08-11, 3:04 pm
Some numbers and videos for your viewing pleasure

Raw Squats
777 at 220 American Record with knee wrap (Comp)
--800 gym squat belt only (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz3fZshdGzQ&feature=related)

705 at 220 belt only in 2006(comp WR)
--760 belt only gym squat at 230 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2yJ6Xaxcgs)
--cant find video of 705 from RUM 4 in 2011

Geared Squats
All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 Pounds (http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=981202072&page=42&viewtype=&category=tr)
All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 Pounds (http://www.ironscene.com/videos/1762_sam_byrd_1100@220_world_record_squat_-_2008_spf_nationals)
All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 Pounds (http://www.ironscene.com/play.php?vid=1792)

BigBlueBear
06-08-11, 3:16 pm
Oh I sure as hell can't miss out on a fellow brother from home, much less you big man. Count this transplant who bleeds orange everyday in.

mritter3
06-08-11, 3:21 pm
in for this ride Sam....you got this brother!

Polk17
06-08-11, 3:27 pm
In... Good luck big man...

shortstack
06-08-11, 3:37 pm
Good Luck Sam. With your dedication to doing things that are difficult, you should do great.

See ya brother,

Jeremy

Phil800101
06-08-11, 3:52 pm
Definitely subbed for this.

G Diesel
06-08-11, 3:52 pm
Awesome... Nothing more needs to be said.

I'll be here taking notes and gathering inspiration from one of the best in the game.

Bring it Byrdman.

Peace, G

Big Byrd
06-08-11, 3:54 pm
Awesome... Nothing more needs to be said.

I'll be here taking notes and gathering inspiration from one of the best in the game.

Bring it Byrdman.

Peace, G

From the man that coined the phrase "powerbuilding." Nice to have ur approval bro

Big Byrd
06-08-11, 3:55 pm
I will post up diet regimen as soon as i get the tweaks back from John.

grishaxxx
06-08-11, 5:55 pm
On deck, BB!

Funky
06-09-11, 3:24 pm
In for this ride!

freighttraindane
06-09-11, 3:57 pm
Definitley in for this ride. i'm excitied to learn from the best

Rexor91
06-09-11, 8:38 pm
Hey beautiful, good to see ya back in the saddle! So, with all this going on... does this mean you can't train me long distance?? lol

Big Byrd
06-10-11, 10:19 am
of course not, keep sending the nightly web cam nudes.

naturalguy
06-10-11, 10:29 am
Those are some great goals. Glad to see you doing both sports, we need more guys like that.

I'll be following for sure.

Big Byrd
06-10-11, 10:31 am
did my first BB style leg workout in oh about 4 years. All i did was leg ext and leg curls and i could barely walk for 3 days! WTF! its a whole different kinda sore from just doing squats and deadlifts! I forgot how deep the soreness was, but it was nice not to have a sore back and hips for a change.

All I did was alternate sets of ext and curls with 45 seconds rest between. I started at just 1 plate on each for 15 paused reps, and worked my way up to 11 plates for 15 tough reps, then did 2 RP sets w 15 seconds rest after that last one. that was it. I was waddling and couldnt stretch. that was tues... its fri and i still cant move my legs.

Took wed off completly, just worn out from travel.

Thurs hit shoulders and chest:
high incline db oh press (about 70 degrees) Started with 50s for 15 reps and went up 5 pounds per set with 60 sec rest bt till i couldnt do 15, then did 2 RP with that weight. I finished with 80s. (so 50,55,60,65,70,75 all for 15 reps, then last set 80+80+80)
Low cable crossover, 4 sets of 15

triceps, hit cable kickbacks, sounds gay but really hit the outer head where im focusing, did 4 sets of 15
one arm cable pressdowns, i think like 4 sets; just kept moving, switched arms when too tired and never rested.
Dips w bodyweight, 15, 15, 12, 10, 8+3

Lateral raises- 5 sets of 15
seated db hammer curls- 15 pounds, 50 reps, 30 reps, 30 reps
seated calf raise- 1 plate, 50 reps, 30 reps, 20 reps

treadmill 20 minutes
stationary bike- 20 minutes

mritter3
06-10-11, 10:34 am
looks like you have been busy sam...nice couple sessions there...no wonder your sore....from a PL perspective what do you like to use to rub down the joints with...i use biofreeze...you got any pointers?

DANO
06-10-11, 12:39 pm
Subbed for this...

Rexor91
06-10-11, 5:46 pm
of course not, keep sending the nightly web cam nudes.

Lmfao, ill wear my badge and gun

Big Byrd
06-11-11, 4:58 pm
looks like you have been busy sam...nice couple sessions there...no wonder your sore....from a PL perspective what do you like to use to rub down the joints with...i use biofreeze...you got any pointers?

i used to use icy hot but i rarely use anything anymore.alot of guys like capsacion (sp?)

Big Byrd
06-11-11, 5:03 pm
45 minutes cardio this AM. No training today; took a much needed 2 hour nap instead. Meet with John, my nutritionist, tonight for assessment and diet instructions.

Seath308
06-11-11, 5:06 pm
45 minutes cardio this AM. No training today; took a much needed 2 hour nap instead. Meet with John, my nutritionist, tonight for assessment and diet instructions.

Hey Big Dawg! I am doing a USAPL meet at the end of this month I was wondering what knee sleeves do you recommend?

Big Al
06-11-11, 8:33 pm
Holy fuck!!! A bigger stronger Sam. I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT GOES DOWN HERE.
Pretty boy,more pretty!!!????
Much respect to a strong fucker right here.

Big Byrd
06-12-11, 9:30 am
Hey Big Dawg! I am doing a USAPL meet at the end of this month I was wondering what knee sleeves do you recommend?

def reband. they have a neoprene cover on inside and out that keeps them stiff and keeps them from tearing when u put them on; also keeps them smelling like shit... oh well. haha

how u been Man?

Big Byrd
06-12-11, 9:32 am
Holy fuck!!! A bigger stronger Sam. I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT GOES DOWN HERE.
Pretty boy,more pretty!!!????
Much respect to a strong fucker right here.

Pretty boy? u must have some pretty loose definitions up north! haha Someone recently told me that big and strong was better than big and pretty. Problem is, i gave up on being pretty years ago, now im always injured so cant be strong. The only option i see for now is to just get bigger :)

Big Byrd
06-12-11, 9:32 am
anyone know how to post pics on here?

J Wong
06-12-11, 10:26 am
anyone know how to post pics on here?

insertURLhere

Big Byrd
06-12-11, 1:03 pm
so upload it to where? then post that link?

Phil800101
06-12-11, 1:30 pm

Put it on Photobucket or Flickr, then use the img code to post it on here. On Photobucket, once the picture is uploaded, there will be an img link you can copy and paste (right under the picture). I think Flickr is the same.

Seath308
06-12-11, 11:56 pm
def reband. they have a neoprene cover on inside and out that keeps them stiff and keeps them from tearing when u put them on; also keeps them smelling like shit... oh well. haha

how u been Man?

Well I am a pretty smelly guy so I bet mine will smell like shit pretty soon lol! I just ordered a pair of these:
http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=RH-KS (Size XXL ....Just like my CACK!....Not really=-/ lol)

I am interested to see how the knee sleeves feel I have never used them before. I hope all your schooling is going great I have alot of respect for what you are doing see a dip shit like me had trouble studying in High school I can't even imagine what you are going through! ... If you ever need any help with your test I would not ask me for help! How is the recovery going?!?

J Wong
06-13-11, 11:53 am

Put it on Photobucket or Flickr, then use the img code to post it on here. On Photobucket, once the picture is uploaded, there will be an img link you can copy and paste (right under the picture). I think Flickr is the same.

You can use photobucket and flickr, but there is also http://www.tinypic.com

You don't need an account or anything, you just upload it, and copy/paste the URL (it will end with .jpg) that is given and put it in between the brackets.

Big Al
06-13-11, 8:41 pm
Pretty boy? u must have some pretty loose definitions up north! haha Someone recently told me that big and strong was better than big and pretty. Problem is, i gave up on being pretty years ago, now im always injured so cant be strong. The only option i see for now is to just get bigger :)

Well your pretty in my eyes.LOL
You ment with John?Are you up in Pa??

BigAnt
06-13-11, 11:03 pm
I always new you wanted to cross-over to bodybuilding...LOL

This will be a great informative thread!

Big Byrd
06-14-11, 12:01 pm
Well I am a pretty smelly guy so I bet mine will smell like shit pretty soon lol! I just ordered a pair of these:
http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=RH-KS (Size XXL ....Just like my CACK!....Not really=-/ lol)

I am interested to see how the knee sleeves feel I have never used them before. I hope all your schooling is going great I have alot of respect for what you are doing see a dip shit like me had trouble studying in High school I can't even imagine what you are going through! ... If you ever need any help with your test I would not ask me for help! How is the recovery going?!?

I hated highschool too. I never did homework and did just enough to get thru. I didnt want to go to college for any more school so i joined the Marines and left right after graduation. Loved boot camp and infantry training; once i got to the fleet it sucked. We never did anything and i felt like my brain was melting. Got out, worked few jobs i didnt like, went to undergrad and changed my major every semester cause i didnt know what i wanted to do. Dropped out opened a gym for 2 years, which was always my dream since i got into lifting, and got tired of that. I wanted a quick fix. money and independence right then. but none of that fulfilled me. It took a lot of learning what i DIDNT want to do before i was able to find something i did want to do. Ive had to sacrifice a lot to go lift like i do and go back to school, but im confident it will payoff soon. My thought is that i would just suck it up, bust my ass and work hard for 7 years of school and then live well the rest of my life rather than live it up for 7 years and have to bust my ass the rest of my life.

I dont claim to be smart or strong for that matter; i just set mind to it and work hard.

Recovery? Well, my quad is fine but my knee is still giving me trouble. hard to get the last few inches rom in bending it. Shoulder still jacked up will probably need a scope. even hurts to do pressdowns. So im beat up and cant lift heavy so im just gonna diet and train for a bb show. hopefully recover during that time and come back and smash some weights off the rebound

Big Byrd
06-14-11, 12:02 pm
Well your pretty in my eyes.LOL
You ment with John?Are you up in Pa??

No Im in Memphis; i train w Ambre remember... when she actually comes to the gym that is... sorry Ambre... u know i luv u :)

Big Byrd
06-14-11, 12:18 pm
Training

Sat: did am cardio for 45 min but di not train. Spent all day a BB show and was wore out. took a 2 hour nap midday instead.

Sun: trained shoulders and arms and calves; 45 min cardio

seated calve raises superset with shoulder warmups and stretches. 5 sets, light weight full rom and contractions
band Y raises (not front or side but in between) 50 reps, 30 reps, 15 reps 15 reps, 15 reps
incline bench machine super setted w side band raises; 4 sets of 15
tricep kickback w bands; 50 reps, 30, 20 or so; and i think 15, 15
tricep ladders (set smith machine on lowest pin and do skull crushers moving body similar to pushup.) went to failure (around 30) rested 15 seconds then raised bar 1 pin and went to failure, repeating for total of 5 sets to failure
DB curls 5sets or 15

treadmill for 25 min
stationary bike for 20 min

no pm cardio

MONDAY:
45 minutes treadmill after waking

6 hour drive to Memphis
trained arms and shoulders

rope pressdowns; start at 1 plate for 15 slow reps; rest 15 seconds add a plate and repeat till cant get 15 (think it was 6 or 7 plates; then do 2 RP sets with same weight
Dips bodyweight; 20, 15, 12, 10, 9
diamond pushups (nose into diamond); 5 sets of 15

cable preacher curl; done same as pressdowns
close grip pull ups no kipping legs straight; 15, 12, 10, 7, 15 assisted machine
fat V bar low cable rows to chest; 5 sets of 15

DB front raise super set w low incline db fly; 5 sets of 12 each

Big Byrd
06-14-11, 12:20 pm
TUESDAY

45 min am cardio; walked outside

will do another 30 min later, then deadlift with my crew and do some other leg work

My main focus for next 9 weeks till show is to bring up my arms and shoulders and get lean. Gonna try to work my squat and dl hard to but hard with all the traveling last few weeks and in next few to come.

dannynb
06-14-11, 1:21 pm
Subbed for this....Sam, bigger?? Oh shit folks!!!

Big Wides
06-14-11, 9:26 pm
subbed for this....true inspiration and defining the true meaning of what an athelete is

Big Byrd
06-15-11, 9:39 am
Thanks to everyone for signing up, the ride may not be wild but it should be interesting.

TUESDAY NIGHT- weight 215

Deadlifts- back with my Memphis crew; they have gotten strong in my absence.

I worked up to 585x1 and 2 singles with 635. All felt fast and smooth.
3 sets of 15 GHR

All my mobility work is really paying off. Its 4 months since i did anything and strength is not far off; or least leverage is better so pull should up when strength comes back. thats my hope anyway. Im also 25 pounds or more lighter than i was in Jan.

Funky
06-15-11, 9:50 am
Very solid work being put in!

J-Dawg
06-15-11, 11:12 am
Thanks to everyone for signing up, the ride may not be wild but it should be interesting.

TUESDAY NIGHT- weight 215

Deadlifts- back with my Memphis crew; they have gotten strong in my absence.

I worked up to 585x1 and 2 singles with 635. All felt fast and smooth.
3 sets of 15 GHR

All my mobility work is really paying off. Its 4 months since i did anything and strength is not far off; or least leverage is better so pull should up when strength comes back. thats my hope anyway. Im also 25 pounds or more lighter than i was in Jan.

Awesome work Sam. That time off let ya rest up for lifting heavy again.

C.Coronato
06-15-11, 11:49 am
Very Very excited to watch this unfold.

The House
06-19-11, 8:26 pm
yeah buddy cant wait to see the bodybuilder come out again in ya. i will be following bro alway follow you bro.

Seath308
06-19-11, 10:04 pm
I hated highschool too. I never did homework and did just enough to get thru. I didnt want to go to college for any more school so i joined the Marines and left right after graduation. Loved boot camp and infantry training; once i got to the fleet it sucked. We never did anything and i felt like my brain was melting. Got out, worked few jobs i didnt like, went to undergrad and changed my major every semester cause i didnt know what i wanted to do. Dropped out opened a gym for 2 years, which was always my dream since i got into lifting, and got tired of that. I wanted a quick fix. money and independence right then. but none of that fulfilled me. It took a lot of learning what i DIDNT want to do before i was able to find something i did want to do. Ive had to sacrifice a lot to go lift like i do and go back to school, but im confident it will payoff soon. My thought is that i would just suck it up, bust my ass and work hard for 7 years of school and then live well the rest of my life rather than live it up for 7 years and have to bust my ass the rest of my life.

I dont claim to be smart or strong for that matter; i just set mind to it and work hard.

Recovery? Well, my quad is fine but my knee is still giving me trouble. hard to get the last few inches rom in bending it. Shoulder still jacked up will probably need a scope. even hurts to do pressdowns. So im beat up and cant lift heavy so im just gonna diet and train for a bb show. hopefully recover during that time and come back and smash some weights off the rebound

At the next cage we should have a "Man-Date"! I would really like to shoot the shit with you more! and MAYBE just maybe I could get lucky.

BamBam
06-20-11, 9:43 am
Subbed and along for the ride! Can't wait to see what unfolds bro!

MRmichael.hooker
06-20-11, 9:54 am
have you checked this out before from Metroflex? http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=3886 seems like a good read

Big Byrd
06-21-11, 3:13 pm
At the next cage we should have a "Man-Date"! I would really like to shoot the shit with you more! and MAYBE just maybe I could get lucky.

haha i dont wanna make Ivy jealous. ill be at the Mr. O, will u?

Big Byrd
06-21-11, 3:16 pm
yeah buddy cant wait to see the bodybuilder come out again in ya. i will be following bro alway follow you bro.

Thanks Eric, we'll see how it goes. I know i need more than 10 weeks of training to fix imbalances and whatnot, but it will give me an idea of where i need to focus at least.

Big Byrd
06-21-11, 3:16 pm
Subbed and along for the ride! Can't wait to see what unfolds bro!

awesome, welcome aboard

Big Byrd
06-21-11, 3:18 pm
have you checked this out before from Metroflex? http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=3886 seems like a good read

no i havent ever seen that. I know Josh Bryant, the guy who wrote it, is a big strong dude tho. i may check it out when i get time. For now its just stackin' plates and bangin' weights; its really just that simple.

Phil800101
06-21-11, 3:30 pm
How was Chicago?

Big Byrd
06-21-11, 3:31 pm
Well Im back from Chicago where they just had the NPC Jr. Nationals BB show. I am humbled and motivated all at the same time. There were some freaky dudes there! I walked in late and thought i had missed it; i asked a guy if they were already to the heavies, he said naw man, this is just the middles!!! WTF they looked huge up there!

The reason i was there is because my girlfriend competed in the new womens physique division where she placed 10th. No one really knows what they are looking for but they say the "classic bodybuilding" like the 80s rachael mcclish. So she wanted to get in on it since she is tired of the figure look getting smaller and softer. She did figure at Jr. USA and didnt place and was pretty disappointed. When she saw Dana, who won the womens physique at NPC Jr. USA she thought that was the ideal look for her, and we thought she was close, so we gave it a run. However, we were surprised that the judges opted for some much bigger and softer competitors than what we thought they would based on the Jr. USA placings. In any case, she was satisfied with top 10, esp after only 4 weeks to try to add size and get leaner. So her sights are now set on Nationals in November. Either case, i like to watch her hit poses a lot more than just standing there for figure.

Saw Matt Kroc there. He is recovering nicely from his tricep tear and plans to do the show next year. He is bigger than ive ever seen him at about 265. Softer than usual but bigger

Big Byrd
06-21-11, 7:06 pm
I want to let everyone know about a great website for articles on everything from diet and training to rehab and sports. It started out as a westside powerlifting site and has grown far beyond that. I have been asked to be a part of the Elite FTS team (EFS) so i will be posting my training log and answering questions on that site as well. The site carries the Animal line of supplements so its only appropriate to have an Animal athlete on hand for questions.

Link to my training log on EFS: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=148377&tid=209

Animal supplement line on EFS: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=372

smoothballer
06-22-11, 8:56 am
Big fan of Elite FTS and hit up their site regularly. It is awesome that you are on the Elite FTS Team.

Aggression
06-22-11, 9:07 am
Big fan of Elite FTS and hit up their site regularly.

Likewise. Great to see you on board over there, Byrd.

Polk17
06-22-11, 10:30 am
Byrd if you don't mind, what kind of problems/imbalances are you addressing?

Big Byrd
06-22-11, 10:22 pm
Byrd if you don't mind, what kind of problems/imbalances are you addressing?

imbalances created from neglecting accessory work. tight pecs causing rounded shoulders and shoulder impingement. tight glutes and hip flexors causing preventing glutes from firing and optimal position for squat and mainly dl starting position. tight forearms prevent my right arm from full lockout on the bench. basically im pretty jacked up. i have no functional efficiency, which was fine w me as long as i was moving heavy iron on the big 3; but its gotten so bad i cant even do that, so i have to address it.

JustJ
06-22-11, 10:24 pm
subbed

Big Byrd
06-22-11, 10:32 pm
Wed

morning cardio: 45 min walk then stretch

night training and cardio: abs, chest, shoulders, tris

ab machine: 6 sets of 15 w 3 sec pause; 20 seconds rest b/t sets
all following sets super setted w band shoulder rotations, then rear side and front raises w band x 10 reps each:
6 way shoulder raise (mountain dog style); 4 sets 15 w 10 lbs
BB incline bench w 3 sec negative and 2 sec contraction; 4 sets x 10 w 45 sec rest(135, 155, 175, 195) then 135x15
dip machine: 4 sets 20 reps w hard conraction at top; then 1 set of 50
triceps rope pressdowns; 6 sets of 15 w 20 sec rest bt
cable triceps kickbacks w pronated grip; 4 sets 15
ultra wide grip BB shoulder press (hands on smooth by the collar) 3 sets 15 w 65lbs

40 min cardio via 15 stepmill and 25 min eliptical

Polk17
06-23-11, 12:14 pm
imbalances created from neglecting accessory work. tight pecs causing rounded shoulders and shoulder impingement. tight glutes and hip flexors causing preventing glutes from firing and optimal position for squat and mainly dl starting position. tight forearms prevent my right arm from full lockout on the bench. basically im pretty jacked up. i have no functional efficiency, which was fine w me as long as i was moving heavy iron on the big 3; but its gotten so bad i cant even do that, so i have to address it.

I understand... I am starting to see those signs so I'm trying to address them early... I'm sure it'll only help your already stupid numbers...

Big Byrd
06-25-11, 11:49 am
I understand... I am starting to see those signs so I'm trying to address them early... I'm sure it'll only help your already stupid numbers...

thats a good idea. i started getting signs way back in 2007. started with sore right hip flexor making it hard to get depth and warmup. neglected too long and just kept gitting worse and throwing everything else off trying to compensate. do something now. MUCH EASIER TO PREVENT THAN FIX!!!

Big Byrd
06-25-11, 12:02 pm
aM CARDIO: 45 MINUTE WALK

PM gym: calves /back/ bis

donkey calve raise; just 1 plate; 4 sets of 15 reps w pause at top and w 30 sec stretch hold after every set. focused on out calf
standing smith machine calf raise; 4 sets w 2pps (plates per side); 4 sets 15 with pause at top, 30 strecth on donkey calf after every set

following sets all super-setted w banded overhead arm rotations x 12-15 (start overhead and rotate band behind back and return)
wide neutral grip low cable row; 3 light sets to get blood moving, pause and squeeze every rep.
wide neutral; 4 work sets x15 reps, slow and controlled. add one plate every set
standing v-bar pulldown w stretch at top of every rep and 30 sec stretch at end of set; 4 sets of 15
extra wide grip pull down; 4 sets 15 and stretch

done w super-sets

reverse curls; 6 sets w 55lbs x 15 reps with just 10 seconds rest between sets--these were tough!
seated wrist curls for forarms; 80lbs 3 sets 15

banded arm rotations, followed by raising arm back and out, then laterally, then to front; all for 15 reps w band--- i love these! hits all heads and really pumps up shoulders!

NOTES: i am hitting bis short and sweet after back and tris after chest/shoulders plus having a whole arm day later in week. Arms, esp triceps, are a weak point i need to bring up. Also doing some form of shoulder work every training day.

Big Byrd
06-25-11, 12:08 pm
Friday; Squats

nothing heavy here. First time under bar in a while as my knee has been bothering me still. played it safe stayed light and kept reps up; squat reps SUCK!!

high bar close stance w oly shoes (raised heel); 150x20, 240x15, 330x15, 380x15, 380x12, 380x12
1 leg extentions; 3 sets of 15 each leg. slow and controlled nothing heavy.

glutes and lungs wer on fire from high reps! got light headed on squats, blurry vision... fun stuff

everything felt good though. no pain but still very conscious of the knee. will be working back in slow to be ready for Mr. O exhibition.

Weight is dropping steadily. I was 211 last night no shoes and 206 this morning. I figure i have about 8-10 more pounds to go in 8 weeks to be stage ready. I hate the thought of being under 200 pounds again!!!

Big Byrd
06-26-11, 3:54 pm
Sat; calves and hams

am cardio 45 min walk

pm training; calves and hams

donkey calf raise focus on outer calf; 4 sets of 15 stretch 30 sec after every set. w about 45 set rest bt
standing smith machine calf raise; 6 setsx15, 1pps, 10 sec rest bt sets

lying 1 leg curls, 1 leg; 5 sets 15 slow reps, minute between
wide grip sldl for some lats too; 4 sets 20

cardio
15 minute step mill
20 minute eliptical

Big Byrd
06-26-11, 3:58 pm
Sunday; Arms and abs

ab machine; 10 sets of 15 w 10 sec rest bt sets
reverse crunches; 4 sets 8-15; 45 sec rest

1 arm tri ext; 4 setsx 20 back nonstop movement
camber pressdowns w elbows flared; midway to extension only; 4 sets 15-20
pressdowns from stretch to midway only; 4 sets 10
skull crushers; 3 sets x 8

BB curls to forehead; 5 sets 15-20
rev curls 4 sets x15

cardio
bike level 15 for 15 min
treadmill 10 min

off to carb up at sushi buffet... yum! meeting Brian Carroll out there since he is in town. havent seen him since jan.

Aggression
06-27-11, 8:19 am
Nothing beats a sushi buffet for a carb up. And yeah, high rep squatting is no nonsense. niCe work in here, B.

Polk17
06-27-11, 8:58 am
Byrd, Quick question... You helped me a bit with my diet before... If my only Carb meals for the day are @ my workout... & they are 6 Oz. Chicken & Jasmine Rice, 6 Oz. Chicken & Sweet Potato, & 50 g Protein Shake w/ 40 g CarboPLUS (Which is obviously directly pWO)... Would you recommend doing the Sweet Potato meal about 1:30 preWO & the Jasmine Rice meal about 1:30 @ the shake, or vice versa? Thanks a lot as always man...

Big Byrd
06-27-11, 9:07 am
i dont understand ur question. did u mistype 130 twice?

Big Byrd
06-27-11, 9:08 am
in any case, if u only have 3 carb meals, i would suggest eat them as ur first meal, preworkout, and post workout. with what u have listed, sweet tater in morning , rice pre, and shake post

Polk17
06-27-11, 9:19 am
in any case, if u only have 3 carb meals, i would suggest eat them as ur first meal, preworkout, and post workout. with what u have listed, sweet tater in morning , rice pre, and shake post

I meant for it to be and hour and 30 minutes.... not 1:30 as in time... So you don't think it is necessary to have an actual whole food carb meal after my shake pWO?

Polk17
06-27-11, 9:25 am
Because I was thinking about having a 4 Egg White, 3 Oz. Ground Beef right when I get up.... Then about 2 hours after that having either chicken and tater or chicken and rice... Then workout, shake, and then the other carb meal..

Big Byrd
06-27-11, 2:41 pm
it would depend on ur goals; but said if ur ONLY carb meals for the day were x,y,z how do i think they should be consumed. if those are ur only three then breakfast, pre and post are ideal. is it necessary to have carbs after post shake, no, not necessary, but again, depends on ur goals and overall diet structure

Polk17
06-27-11, 2:55 pm
it would depend on ur goals; but said if ur ONLY carb meals for the day were x,y,z how do i think they should be consumed. if those are ur only three then breakfast, pre and post are ideal. is it necessary to have carbs after post shake, no, not necessary, but again, depends on ur goals and overall diet structure

Thanks... I am right around 225 and I want to compete RAW @ 220... So I really just want to lose a little bodyfat, but continue to gain strength... I am carb sensitive... My only carb meals until now have been 30 g oats w breakfast... Then the same chicken and rice pre.... Shake post... and Chicken and taters after the shake...

Big Byrd
06-28-11, 8:45 am
should be fine w that. also depends on total cals. it is difficult to get stronger while getting leaner, hell, its difficult just to maintain strength while getting leaner. are u doing any cardio? i would sugest walking on incline treadmill for 30 min after training, or 15 before and after as warmup and cool down.

Polk17
06-28-11, 9:12 am
should be fine w that. also depends on total cals. it is difficult to get stronger while getting leaner, hell, its difficult just to maintain strength while getting leaner. are u doing any cardio? i would sugest walking on incline treadmill for 30 min after training, or 15 before and after as warmup and cool down.

I do Cardio after every session... I am a Hill Sprint guy, so after my Squat and Pull days (Monday & Thursday) I do 15 minutes of Hill Sprints... & after my Bench & Press days (Tuesday & Friday) I do about 8-10 Minutes of Hill Sprints... This way I have a off day of Cardio before lower work, so I am fresh... I have gained for about 2 years from @ 188 to 225 where I am now... I was up to about 230 but a little to sloppy... I don't want to be any bigger than I am now, so my goal is to just stop the gaining process... Continue to gain strength, and lean out, but it's not what I would call a cut... I have no date or time or BF% I am shooting for... Just want to stay around where I am now, and get stronger, which I would guess would include leaning some, since I will hopefully turn some of the unwanted BF into muscle... Very similar goals to you, I don't want to be strong at the cost of looking a certain way, and I don't want to look a certain way at the cost of not being as strong... Me being pretty carb sensitive, I was trying to lower carbs some... I decided after listening to you that I would have a banana w/ my Eggs & Beef for breakfast, then chicken and taters, then shake post... Then chicken and rice post... Which would put my carbs around 150 for the day... With 120 of that @ my workout, and the last carb meal coming @ 3:30...

Big Byrd
06-28-11, 9:47 pm
I do Cardio after every session... I am a Hill Sprint guy, so after my Squat and Pull days (Monday & Thursday) I do 15 minutes of Hill Sprints... & after my Bench & Press days (Tuesday & Friday) I do about 8-10 Minutes of Hill Sprints... This way I have a off day of Cardio before lower work, so I am fresh... I have gained for about 2 years from @ 188 to 225 where I am now... I was up to about 230 but a little to sloppy... I don't want to be any bigger than I am now, so my goal is to just stop the gaining process... Continue to gain strength, and lean out, but it's not what I would call a cut... I have no date or time or BF% I am shooting for... Just want to stay around where I am now, and get stronger, which I would guess would include leaning some, since I will hopefully turn some of the unwanted BF into muscle... Very similar goals to you, I don't want to be strong at the cost of looking a certain way, and I don't want to look a certain way at the cost of not being as strong... Me being pretty carb sensitive, I was trying to lower carbs some... I decided after listening to you that I would have a banana w/ my Eggs & Beef for breakfast, then chicken and taters, then shake post... Then chicken and rice post... Which would put my carbs around 150 for the day... With 120 of that @ my workout, and the last carb meal coming @ 3:30...

First, what makes u think u are "carb sensitive" have u had a blood test? And why did u choose a banana for breakfast?

Polk17
06-29-11, 8:22 am
First, what makes u think u are "carb sensitive" have u had a blood test? And why did u choose a banana for breakfast?

Before I really knew what was going on, and was overweight, I went very, very low carb for a long time to lose weight... Now when I eat what is considered to be low-moderate carbs I grow.. I ate @ 200 g of carbs, and gained considerable weight... And have been getting considerably stronger in the last few months, on 150ish of carbs... So maybe I am not, maybe thats the wrong terminology... I chose a banana for breakfast because I figured I needed something in the AM, and it was quick, easy, and gave me some Fruit in my diet...

Big Byrd
07-01-11, 1:54 pm
Before I really knew what was going on, and was overweight, I went very, very low carb for a long time to lose weight... Now when I eat what is considered to be low-moderate carbs I grow.. I ate @ 200 g of carbs, and gained considerable weight... And have been getting considerably stronger in the last few months, on 150ish of carbs... So maybe I am not, maybe thats the wrong terminology... I chose a banana for breakfast because I figured I needed something in the AM, and it was quick, easy, and gave me some Fruit in my diet...

fair enough. i think people fear carbs way too much. its not only carbs, but the types and timing of carbs to consider. The goal is to find the highest carb level where the you will 1) lose or maintain weight and 2) not have cravings which will drive you to overeat. Most fad diets, and even dave palumbo, start everyone off with very few carbs, i think dave and Atkins are lowest at around 20g and south beach starts around 150 or so. then as u get used to it, they gradually increase carbs until it cuases cravings then back it down a little bit. i think u are in a good range at 150-200

Polk17
07-01-11, 5:32 pm
fair enough. i think people fear carbs way too much. its not only carbs, but the types and timing of carbs to consider. The goal is to find the highest carb level where the you will 1) lose or maintain weight and 2) not have cravings which will drive you to overeat. Most fad diets, and even dave palumbo, start everyone off with very few carbs, i think dave and Atkins are lowest at around 20g and south beach starts around 150 or so. then as u get used to it, they gradually increase carbs until it cuases cravings then back it down a little bit. i think u are in a good range at 150-200

Ya to be honest with you this is so much easier... I have no cravings... And I am actually hungry for my next meal, whereas before when I was carbing up and gaining... I felt bloated and full all day, never hungry and eating was a chore... So I feel good about it... I hope it'll work out the way I want it too, but only time will tell and if it don't I'll learn something...

How is your body feeling with all of your Mobility work??

Big Byrd
07-07-11, 11:24 am
Been in San Diego on vacation this week w my girl. Sorry for no posting. We have been doing morning cardio walking on the beach for 45 minutes every morning.

trained twice, lats/shoulders/tris day one, then shoulders/back thickness/tris day two.

lots of extra cardio walking the beaches and touring Sea world, 11 hours and still didnt see it all! We have the zoo today then gonna picnic on Sunset Cliffs watching the sun go down. Tomorrow is the safari park then lunch in Sea Port Village. Saturday is Old Town, then La Jolla Beach for some sun follwed by Gaslamp district for dinner.

Im gonna need a vacation from my vacation! haha Its nice to get away tho.

Gonna try to catch up w Derick Farnsworth, The Freak, while im up here too.

till then, im shakin and bakin in SoCal sun!

naturalguy
07-07-11, 11:57 am
Been in San Diego on vacation this week w my girl. Sorry for no posting. We have been doing morning cardio walking on the beach for 45 minutes every morning.

trained twice, lats/shoulders/tris day one, then shoulders/back thickness/tris day two.

lots of extra cardio walking the beaches and touring Sea world, 11 hours and still didnt see it all! We have the zoo today then gonna picnic on Sunset Cliffs watching the sun go down. Tomorrow is the safari park then lunch in Sea Port Village. Saturday is Old Town, then La Jolla Beach for some sun follwed by Gaslamp district for dinner.

San Diego - I am jelly

Go train with Derik if you get the chance, the gym he trains at is awesome.

BamBam
07-07-11, 12:00 pm
Hope ya had a good trip bro! Glad you're doing well!

G Diesel
07-07-11, 1:15 pm

Sounds awesome, Byrdman. Enjoy it bro.

What are these "vacations" I keep hearing so much about? Haha.

Peace, G

Phil800101
07-07-11, 3:17 pm
Enjoy the trip bro!

Big Byrd
07-12-11, 6:38 pm
Sounds awesome, Byrdman. Enjoy it bro.

What are these "vacations" I keep hearing so much about? Haha.

Peace, G

I didnt know either till my girl forced me to go. Im glad she did. Left the whole world behind for a little while, which was really nice the way the things have been going lately.

Big Byrd
07-15-11, 12:07 pm
First squat attempt since January leg injury

Weds night
morning cardio- 45 minute walk
night-
15 minutes on stair stepper
10 minutes treadmill
front squats
15 minutes stationary bike level 15
20 minutes treadmill

4.5 weeks out from TN State BB show

I got really tired of waiting for me knee to not hurt so i tried a different method; keep adding weight to the bar till it stops hurting. Seemed to work...

Nothing too crazy, i figured i would get pretty sore; i was right. Did some front squats (regular, no harness)up to a moderate weight for a few sets.

155x10x2 sets
155x5
245x5
335x5
385x5 x 3 sets

all felt pretty good once it got heavy but i could tell i was consciously favoring it in the hole. Could have gone heavier but decided against it. Glad i did because my upper back and erectors are screaming today. Hips/legs/knee not sore at all, just back from getting bent forward in the hole and trying to stay upright. These will be great to help my DL.

Before my injury i worked up to 425x8x 3 sets and max set of 500x5. Im starting off better than i did after my last layoff, which was about 10-11 months of no legs or lower; them 12 weeks training for last meet and hit some PRs, and now another 7 months off... should be back quick I hope. Better really, ill be squatting in the Animal Cage at the Mr. Olympia Expo in Vegas in just 8 weeks-- i better get on it!

G Diesel
07-15-11, 12:15 pm
I didnt know either till my girl forced me to go. Im glad she did. Left the whole world behind for a little while, which was really nice the way the things have been going lately.

That is awesome man and much deserved. Sounds very necessary.

Peace, G

Big Byrd
07-15-11, 9:02 pm
morning cardio 45 min walk

evening training
Back and cardio

15 minute stepper
pulldowns, 15 reps starting with first plate and adding a plate till couldnt get 15 any more, was like 15 sets or so, just pumping up volume and focusing on contractions

t-bar row- worked up to 4plates and a quarter for 3 sets of 8

upright rows- 95lbs x 15 reps x 3 sets

pullups- assisted w green band- 2 sets 12reps

some calves

cardio again- 15 minutes on bike

still retaining fluids from vacation. was 207 when i left and sittin at 218 now. should start coming off this weekend i hope

Big Byrd
07-15-11, 9:02 pm
Weds night
night-
15 minutes on stair stepper
10 minutes treadmill
front squats
15 minutes stationary bike level 15
20 minutes treadmill

4.5 weeks out from TN State BB show

I got really tired of waiting for me knee to not hurt so i tried a different method; keep adding weight to the bar till it stops hurting. Seemed to work...

Nothing too crazy, i figured i would get pretty sore; i was right. Did some front squats (regular, no harness)up to a moderate weight for a few sets.

155x10x2 sets
155x5
245x5
335x5
385x5 x 3 sets

all felt pretty good once it got heavy but i could tell i was consciously favoring it in the hole. Could have gone heavier but decided against it. Glad i did because my upper back and erectors are screaming today. Hips/legs/knee not sore at all, just back from getting bent forward in the hole and trying to stay upright. These will be great to help my DL.

Before my injury i worked up to 425x8x 3 sets and max set of 500x5. Im starting off better than i did after my last layoff, which was about 10-11 months of no legs or lower; them 12 weeks training for last meet and hit some PRs, and now another 7 months off... should be back quick I hope. Better really, ill be squatting in the Animal Cage at the Mr. Olympia Expo in Vegas in just 8 weeks-- i better get on it!

Big Byrd
07-15-11, 9:05 pm
slept in no cardio and took the night off from gym to cook dinner and chill w my girl. Beef tips with mushrooms, onions, and brown gravy and a side of green beans wshed down with Juicy Watermelon flavored Atomic 7 Aminos

ty show of choice- Suits. Its legal, go figure. I like it.

Polk17
07-15-11, 9:09 pm
slept in no cardio and took the night off from gym to cook dinner and chill w my girl. Beef tips with mushrooms, onions, and brown gravy and a side of green beans wshed down with Juicy Watermelon flavored Atomic 7 Aminos

ty show of choice- Suits. Its legal, go figure. I like it.

You like Franklin & Bash?

Big Byrd
07-15-11, 9:11 pm
morning cardio 30 minute jog

evening
squats

was really tight in the hips and back today from weds front squats. didnt realize till i started stretching. took forever to get loose so didnt do much at all. Final set finally felt good fast and natural, as it should only being 420lbs.

150x10
150x10
150x5
225x5
225x5
225x5
330x5 having trouble finding proper bar placement on back from the weight loss (last time i squatted i was 240; 215 now.)
330x5 even foot placement is still awkward
330x5
330x5 finally feeling loose and found bar placement
330x5 one more to be sure, yep im good
420x5 just feel it, smooth and fast. Not where it should be yet but good starting point

4 weeks till bb show and 8 weeks till the cage; puttin my game face on now.

Phil800101
07-15-11, 10:00 pm
Good to see you back under the bar Byrd my man!

Hell yeah, BRING IT!!!

Big Byrd
07-16-11, 9:37 am
may have been a little ambitious to jump right back in w 2 squat squat sessions this week. Low back and hips tight and sore... really tight and sore, like i could barely get out of bed sore! Hit cardio this morning loosened up a little. gotta put emphasis back on stretchjing.

ill hit shoulder chest tris tonight and more cardio

Big Byrd
07-16-11, 9:37 am
oh also did 45 min cardio walk before bed cause i was already super sore and tried to loosen up

Big Al
07-16-11, 11:00 am
oh also did 45 min cardio walk before bed cause i was already super sore and tried to loosen up

Do you need help loosening up??? Funny,I heard you were plenty loose. hahahahaha

SailinScotty
07-16-11, 11:53 am
In for the ride. Best of luck to you in TN.

Big Byrd
07-17-11, 8:28 pm
You like Franklin & Bash?

yea its kinda quirky, outlandish humor. Ive seen a few, some were good some were cheesy

Big Byrd
07-17-11, 8:31 pm
Do you need help loosening up??? Funny,I heard you were plenty loose. hahahahaha

haha good one. bet u been waitin 5 years to use that line on someone.

Polk17
07-17-11, 8:35 pm
yea its kinda quirky, outlandish humor. Ive seen a few, some were good some were cheesy

Ya not too bad... My old lady likes the older version of Zack Morris... So sometimes I have no choice...

Big Byrd
07-17-11, 8:38 pm
saturday

evening

chest/ shoulders/ tris

warmup- band raises- Y and T supersetted 15 each for 4 sets gave good pump

All sets with a ** were followed by front DB raises for shoulders
close grip bench light and slow**- 4 sets 15/10/10/8
v bar pressdowns**- 4 sets fairly heavy- 15/15/12/8 + drop set in half for 15 reps
assisted dips- 15/13/15/12

cardio- 45 minute walk

Got the idea to do a shoulder raise after every set from one of G Diesel's articles, cant remember which one tho. I really liked it. Kept the workout short, the weights light (so i dont keep getting hurt) and im sore as hell today! Its really difficult to get my shoulders sore, they just wont grow. gonna have to start upping the weekly volume on them and hitting them more frequently.

Big Byrd
07-17-11, 8:42 pm
Sunday

Slept in and took total day off from anything fitness related-- except posting up on here of course.

cleaned house and consolidated junk from where i just moved, watch the new Harry Potter on Matinee, and grilled out w my girl.

think im gonna catch the newest episode of Suits on comcast and hit the sack. Four weeks out from the State bb show now and im feeling the pressure. Gotta get my head right and crank down. Its funny, i told myself starting out i only wanted to lean to catch a rebound for a PL meet and would do the bb show only if i could keep from being miserable or moody; ive done that so far, but as it gets closer i keep wanting to crank down and get harder and more strict. The drive to win grows with everyday... as does the nerves

Big Al
07-17-11, 11:28 pm
Win,win,win!!!

Funky
07-18-11, 8:38 am
Smashing it in here! Good job Byrd!

Big Byrd
07-19-11, 8:53 am
thanks for following along. Training seems kinda boring without anything heavy goin. I miss it but my body just not ready for it.

Monday
weight 210
morning cardio- 45 minute walk/ 15 minutes stretching

evening
stair stepper- 15 minutes
treadmill- 10 minutes

superset medium grip pullups to chest with medium grip BB OHP. 4 sets 10 reps each
superset wide grip pullups to chin with extra wide grip BB OHP 4 sets of 10
superset smith machine bent rows with smith floor press- 2 sets 10
suuperset cable preacher curl w rope pressdowns- 4 sets of 10

cardio- 45 minute walk.

nothing crazy here, just trying to keep moving and keep heart rate up. Focusing on conditioning and getting leaner these last few weeks. Strength sux so i dont even want to know what i can, or cant, lift at this point so i do stuff im not used and move quick.

Big Byrd
07-19-11, 8:15 pm
morning cardio 45 minute walk

weight 210

evening-
Sumo DL warmup then 5x5 with 405. just like squats, working on technique and acceleration.
standing single leg curl- 4 sets 10 reps each leg
body weight squats w elevated heal- 2 sets of 50 reps. working on hip and quad flexability
foam rolled and stretched

no cardio tonight

Polk17
07-19-11, 9:49 pm
Do you Pull Sumo or Conventional when you compete?

shortstack
07-19-11, 11:17 pm
Nice training sessions Byrd. Did i miss it somewhere, have you picked a BB show yet?

Jeremy

Big Byrd
07-22-11, 8:14 pm
Do you Pull Sumo or Conventional when you compete?

I used to pull conventional raw and sumo in gear but now pull sumo raw also. I had to work out slow couldn't just jump into it. Took alot of.flexability training for.me. and have Only made one training pull that way before I got hurt at meet squatting. Just working back onto it now but feels strong as ever

Big Byrd
07-22-11, 8:17 pm
Nice training sessions Byrd. Did i miss it somewhere, have you picked a BB show yet?

Jeremy

Supposed to be doing TN state Aug 13 but having so much crap try to get in the way. I'm 3 weeks out now and haven't been in gym all week cause moved into new place last 3 days and now driving 11 hours to move my parents house over the weekend. I'm Trying to hold it together. I also have my eye on the new Dexter Jackson show in Memphis TN in 12 weeks. Then it will be tike for.some.heavy stuff

Big Byrd
07-24-11, 10:08 pm
Whew... done loading second house this week. gotta unload tomorrow. Ill get back on track w cardio and training tomorrow. Staying with my Moms for a week or 2 before i head back to Memphis for school.

Big Al
07-24-11, 11:31 pm
standing single leg curl-(I love that....we dont have a standing single leg at my gym,have the cybex one where you lean on your knee...hate it)

Big Al
07-24-11, 11:32 pm
and all that movin is a ton of cardio.

Big Byrd
07-25-11, 6:51 pm
we have an old lying leg curl slash leg ext attachment to the bench, we just did it standing.

i hope moving counts. Last actual workout was deadlifts on tues, no gym all wee just moving, and hit deadlifts again tomorrow.

hit 45 min cardio this morning and finished moving all the major stuff today. im exhausted. gonna eat and get to bed early; back on track tomorrow.

Big Byrd
07-27-11, 1:31 pm
Tried deadlifting today after a full week of moving furniture... not a great day. haha Hips were a lot more fatigued than i thought.

sumo deadlifts: 405lb 5x5 (same principles as squat) focus on speed and technique
incline DB rows: 65lbs 3x15
narrow shoulder width pulldowns: 4x15

cardio: 30 minute walk outside

got to train with my little brother today. I was impressed w his deadlift. he only trained about 3 months w me 4 years ago and just started back. First DL day worked up to 225x5 pretty easy, and after moving all week w me. i would guess he has a 315 or so pull right outta the gate, great starting point

alphagrrrrl
07-27-11, 1:50 pm
I deadlifted last night...Didn't go too terribly. Just went up to 225x5x5,...I'll be sticking around there for a while. I'm afraid to go heavy and do something stupid. I'll email you the video. Now, hurry up and get home!

Big Byrd
07-27-11, 4:15 pm
I want to be back in Memphis, wow cant believe i said that! But its been nice spending time w my family here.

dont have to go heavy to get strong.

alphagrrrrl
07-28-11, 8:25 am
I want to be back in Memphis, wow cant believe i said that! But its been nice spending time w my family here.

dont have to go heavy to get strong.

Hahaha! Yeah, I can't believe you said that either. Tell your mom hi for me. See ya when you get back.

Rexor91
07-28-11, 3:21 pm
Tried deadlifting today after a full week of moving furniture... not a great day. haha Hips were a lot more fatigued than i thought.

sumo deadlifts: 405lb 5x5 (same principles as squat) focus on speed and technique
incline DB rows: 65lbs 3x15
narrow shoulder width pulldowns: 4x15

cardio: 30 minute walk outside

got to train with my little brother today. I was impressed w his deadlift. he only trained about 3 months w me 4 years ago and just started back. First DL day worked up to 225x5 pretty easy, and after moving all week w me. i would guess he has a 315 or so pull right outta the gate, great starting point

Is Dougie Fresh back in the game!? Bro, I can't believe that shit was 4 years ago :'(

Big Byrd
07-28-11, 7:40 pm
yea he is trying. He's been working at EPB. Been a long time fo sho. When do u EAS, or whatever u army pukes call it? haha when is ur enlistment up.Or u gonna be a lifer? hell, in Hawaii, i would! Military aint so bad after spendin time in the real world! First round the hardest, hear its easier after that

Big Byrd
07-28-11, 7:43 pm
weight: 215

started w 45 minutes treadmill waitng on my brother to show up

bench- warmup, set 10,8,6, 6
incline db- 12,10, 7, 6
incline db fly super-set w db front raise- 4 sets of 10/10
lateral raise machine- 6 sets of 15
rope pressdowns superset w close grip pushups- 10/15

cardio- 25 more minutes on treadmill

Rexor91
07-28-11, 7:43 pm
yea he is trying. He's been working at EPB. Been a long time fo sho. When do u EAS, or whatever u army pukes call it? haha when is ur enlistment up.Or u gonna be a lifer? hell, in Hawaii, i would! Military aint so bad after spendin time in the real world! First round the hardest, hear its easier after that

Feb 2, 2015! Countin' the days lol... lookin' for a sweet fed job, US Marshalls, or Secret Service... something along those lines. Maybe get back in the fitness industry if I can land a job makin' some real money... we'll see. I'm networking like a mother though lol

Big Byrd
07-30-11, 9:23 am
Feb 2, 2015! Countin' the days lol... lookin' for a sweet fed job, US Marshalls, or Secret Service... something along those lines. Maybe get back in the fitness industry if I can land a job makin' some real money... we'll see. I'm networking like a mother though lol

I got u a sweet job lined up here plantin tulips...

Big Byrd
07-30-11, 12:08 pm
morning cardio 45 min walk

afternoon gym/ no cadio
squats
warmup/foam roll/ stretch
squats up to 5x5 w 420 in 22 minutes
bulgarian split squats bdywgt (used to strect hip flexors and for glute activation
stretch

conditioning is good from all the cardio
speed is improving bu not where i want yet. stop and turnaround out of the hole is still slower than i want, but acceleration after 3-4 inches out of hole is good. If i had to gues my squat is around 630-650 right now. So technically, my 420 weight is over 60% of current max more like 66%. But ill stay here till im confident with turnaround and acceleration.

6 weeks till Mr. O cage...

Phil800101
07-30-11, 1:00 pm
Sounds good Byrd my man! Gotta train smart...how is the leg feeling with the squatting?

Big Byrd
08-02-11, 2:28 pm
Sounds good Byrd my man! Gotta train smart...how is the leg feeling with the squatting?

Hey , leg feels pretty good, knee still not full ROM yet so gets really tender after. I have to load up on Capsacion heat rub and go to town on quad w The Stick and some pressure release holds then its not too bad. Ill be good by the Mr. O

Big Byrd
08-02-11, 2:34 pm
Well, i was sore on Sunday; I mean super sore; like all the way to the bone sore in my inner quads and glutes from the DL on tues and back squats on fri. So to loosen up i thought Front Squats at a dose of 10x10 would clear it up right fast! haha I hurt like hell the rest of the day, but my legs felt better by bed but my back was beat up.. cant win for losin.

weight 220
Front Squats
10x10

180x10; added 20 pounds every set till it got fairly tough
280- this set got tough, last few was really gettin gased out. not heavy but its alre4qady been 60 reps so im gettin fatigued.
290x10
290x10
290x10- each set after 280 got easier cause i rested a little longer. Knew the volume might kill me so i didnt get too carried away w weight. Ill be moving numbers up weekly from here

Big Byrd
08-02-11, 2:40 pm
no am cardio (i did do 1 hr on sunday morning a few hours before squatting)

flat bench- 275x10, 275x5, 275x5
close grip- 225x10, 225x10
ultra wide grip ohp on smith- 6 sets of 8reps to front/8to back of head- very light cause of rotator injury risk; 30lbs on bar
dips bdywgt slow negative; 10, 10, 10
elbow supported abs; 3 sets 15
cable front raise- 6 sets of 12
bosu ball crunches 3 sets 15
lying rev crunch- 3 sets 15

skipped cardio. was gettin late and been camping out with mom and bro and wanted to chill by fire w them. Priorities.

ronnie
08-02-11, 2:53 pm
sounds like your gettin fat... kidding. good to have your priorities straight.

Big Byrd
08-03-11, 2:03 pm
sounds like your gettin fat... kidding. good to have your priorities straight.

haha i dont get fat; i get lean or i get strong haha; at least thats what i like to tell myself...

Big Byrd
08-03-11, 2:06 pm
no cardio today either; yep slackin.

sumo deadlifts- 405 for 5x5 same as squats. working technique and speed. motion feels much for natural and fluid than conv. cant wait to test some weights in a few weeks.

neutral grip pulldowwns, 4 sets of 15
high pulley rope row to face; 4 sets of 15

standing bullshitters; 15 minutes instead of cardio. (where i run my mouth instead of actually running).

Funky
08-03-11, 2:23 pm
haha i dont get fat; i get lean or i get strong haha; at least thats what i like to tell myself...

I am totally stealing that line!

no cardio today either; yep slackin.

sumo deadlifts- 405 for 5x5 same as squats. working technique and speed. motion feels much for natural and fluid than conv. cant wait to test some weights in a few weeks.

neutral grip pulldowwns, 4 sets of 15
high pulley rope row to face; 4 sets of 15

standing bullshitters; 15 minutes instead of cardio. (where i run my mouth instead of actually running).

building it back up!

Phil800101
08-03-11, 5:08 pm
Standing bullshitters...that is awesome, I am definitely stealing that one, ha ha.

Theonidus
08-03-11, 5:10 pm

Seems to happen in a lot of gyms these days. lol

I've been trying to find this thread to sub in. And now I'm in, and subbed. Definitely following along with this one.

Big Byrd
08-07-11, 5:39 pm
Skipped squats today cause hips were feeling beat up so did arms instead. Took some time off the gym this week and from cardio cause i was just burnt out. i didnt want to go and when i was there i was just goin thru the motions. It was much needed, feelin better now.

Tris
rev grip bench on smith machine- 4 sets of 12
ez bar pull over and press- 4 sets of 15
cable tri ext- 4 sets of 15
dips- 4 sets of 10 slow and deep

Shoulders
1 arm cable front raises- 4 sets of 15
1 arm db front raises- 4 sets 12

bis
seated db curls 4 sets 12
3 rounds, 15 sec rest bt exercise, 1 minute bt rounds of:
-ez bar rev drag curl x15
-db hammer curlsx12
-ez bar preacher curls x 10

Big Byrd
08-07-11, 5:47 pm
Was feeling fresh from skipping back squats on friday. I wanted to work up a little heavier today and test my knee and strength. Goal was 405x5. My previous best back in Jan was 500x5 i believe. Everything felt good. Knee was a little aggravated but kept pushing thru. Strength was ok, just hit my goal and stopped. followed up with accessory stuff for volume. Ill keep creeping that up each week without overdoing it. Weight was 220 today.

Front squats- up to 420x5 (had the long squat bar; 405+15 extra pounds for length)
could have done 8 or so today but didnt want to push it. ill be trying to add sets, same as before, and get back to 3 sets of 5-8 and wave like that.

back ext super set w lying leg raise- 4 sets x 15/15
bulgarian split squats just bdywgt to strecth hip flexors- 4 sets 15
some abs- six inches for a few sets

Thinking about pulling something moderate on tues. to see where im at but ill just play it by ear. Trying not to rush back into it.

ronnie
08-08-11, 1:00 pm
good to see everything is going smoothly.

Big Byrd
08-09-11, 12:04 am
good to see everything is going smoothly.

Thanks ronnie; trying to get re-focused. Steppin back to formulate plan and then attack.

Knee sore from squats yesterday. Achey and limited ROM. Just gotta be patient w it. Gonna cut back to just squatting once a week and pulling once a week and see how it goes w extra rest.

Monday Chest/shoulders

standing chest press- 4 sets of increasing weight; 15,15,10,10
seated arnold presses- 4 sets of 15
1 arm db front raises- 4 sets of 6 each performed nonstop
seated db front raise partials- halfway to top- 2 sets 20 real light
seated db fron raise partials- bottom end to half way- 2 sets 15 reps heavy
iron crosses- 2 sets 15
dips- 3 sets 10 real slow and deep

no cardio

MRmichael.hooker
08-09-11, 11:30 am
hey bud, just started my bulk yesterday and im gonna be powerbuilding the whole time. Looking to pack on some raw size. You enjoying it so far?

Big Byrd
08-09-11, 9:59 pm
hey bud, just started my bulk yesterday and im gonna be powerbuilding the whole time. Looking to pack on some raw size. You enjoying it so far?

Been enjoyin it 15 years...

good luck on ur bulk.

Big Byrd
08-09-11, 10:06 pm
weight 220

icy hot bath, message star on the leg knots, stick roll and strectch

bulgarian split squats to warm up hips and get glutes firing
DL- 135x5, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 495x1, 585x1, 675x1 easy. first time pulling heavy since Jan and havent lost a beat. Coulda pulled 7 (prior pr before RUM in Jan) but savin it for next time).
DL to knees w 2 sec pause- 405x5 for 3 sets
horizontal back ext w 2 sec pause at top- 3 sets 10 reps
superset with decline crunches 15 reps each
rev crunches 3 sets of 10

stretch hips, glutes and quads

Feeling good! DL felt smooth and one motion. Sumo workin well for me. Lockout strong too, no stall at the top. And whats more, i know if i can pull it, i can def squat it and then some. So guessing my squat is around 725-750 right now w/o wraps. Gotta get busy, cant let Bennie out squat me!! I really dont wanna screw w knee wraps but i might play a little soon.

Polk17
08-09-11, 10:10 pm
Thats crazy... I feel bad for taking a week off, feel like I am going to lose strength... And you feel just as strong as you did after not going heavy since January?... Wow

Big Byrd
08-10-11, 12:50 am
Thats crazy... I feel bad for taking a week off, feel like I am going to lose strength... And you feel just as strong as you did after not going heavy since January?... Wow

its taken a couple weeks, but yes. I had slight tear in jan and done nothing except for last 3-4 weeks been pulling and started squatting 2 weeks ago. I really dont understand why they stay, cause my upper lifts are terrible with any time off. I took off 7 months off from all training lat year, box squatted 600 my first time back, did 405 for 5x5 the next week, then hit a 760 for 30 pound PR in the Cage at the Arnold. Really have no idea how i did that. Then didnt do any lower after that for 8 months till Nov, then trained for 10 weeks and smoked the 760 and prolly good for 800. Im starting off much better this time around than the last 2 so hopefully ill be able to push those numbers up again.

Phil800101
08-10-11, 2:12 am
Strong pulls there Byrd my man! Good shit.

Polk17
08-10-11, 8:52 am
its taken a couple weeks, but yes. I had slight tear in jan and done nothing except for last 3-4 weeks been pulling and started squatting 2 weeks ago. I really dont understand why they stay, cause my upper lifts are terrible with any time off. I took off 7 months off from all training lat year, box squatted 600 my first time back, did 405 for 5x5 the next week, then hit a 760 for 30 pound PR in the Cage at the Arnold. Really have no idea how i did that. Then didnt do any lower after that for 8 months till Nov, then trained for 10 weeks and smoked the 760 and prolly good for 800. Im starting off much better this time around than the last 2 so hopefully ill be able to push those numbers up again.

I guess if you can't build it overnight you won't lose it overnight either...

ronnie
08-10-11, 9:49 am

thats ridiculous, i hate you. kidding of course, but that is ridiculous.

Firedrake
08-11-11, 9:55 pm
Boy, talk about muscle memory. Great work!

Big Byrd
08-11-11, 10:23 pm
off weds

thurs
close grip bench- 275x5, 315x3, 335x3, 355x2 back down to 225x10 for 3 sets
standing french press- 95x10, 115x10, 135x10, 155x9, 155x8, 155x6
close grip chins- bodywgtx8, bdywgtx8, bdywgtx6, assisted machince x10 reps 3 sets
incline db rows- 65x12 x 5 sets
tri pressdowns w fatgripz super-set w cable preacher curl w fat grips- light, slow squeeze 3 supets of 15-20 reps each
db front raise w fat gripz- 15lbsx 12 reps x 5 sets

Big Byrd
08-11-11, 10:27 pm
Ive been refraining from posting numbers lately, well, because they suck! But Im going to start for 2 reasons, 1) because its important to see that im no super hero and my numbers fluctuate up and down same as everyone elses and, 2) its embarrassing and using it to light a fire in my ass!

Firedrake
08-12-11, 9:53 pm
Ive been refraining from posting numbers lately, well, because they suck! But Im going to start for 2 reasons, 1) because its important to see that im no super hero and my numbers fluctuate up and down same as everyone elses and, 2) its embarrassing and using it to light a fire in my ass!

Us mere mortals appreciate that, counselor. I've SEEN you squat. <grin>

Now, turn up the heat!

Phil800101
08-14-11, 3:19 am
Happy Birthday!

Seath308
08-16-11, 12:00 am
Got my first SPF meet coming up on October 15th I had to push Back the meet a month due to work

Big Byrd
08-24-11, 6:51 pm
Thanks guys, sorry ive been MIA. I moved recently and havent had internet. back in classes now so will be able to update more frequently

Ben, im supposed to be doing a bb show in memphis that day; but if not ill try to make it. Im planning on doing the SPF record breakers on Nov 15 or whatever it is

Big Byrd
08-25-11, 5:12 pm
nothing new... long days in the books. hopefully i can get something in tonight. got my books late so been playing catch up on reading assignments. should fall into a schedule the next week or two.

Big Byrd
08-30-11, 2:57 pm
Weight: 217
was supposed to stay light and do my typical 5x5 squats, but really didnt feel like being there at all. This first week of classes had me all thrown off and was really tired. So instead of doing my volume work i just did singles.

145x10
145x10
145x5
235x5
325x1
415x1
595x1
690x1

thats it. To be honest i was a little apprehensive about the 690. Thats the first time ive been heavy since the injury back in Jan. I was really cautious with slow descent which made it a slow assent back out of the hole. Really didnt feel all that heavy, was just overly cautious about my quad/knee. All-in-all it was a good start back. Ill take a rep max this coming fri to get an idea of where im at and go from there.

Big Byrd
08-30-11, 2:58 pm
Sunday bench

hammerstrength incline bench- 5 sets of 15 reps slow and controlled

dips- bodyweight; 3 sets to rep failure; 2 slow, 1 fast. 20 reps, 15 reps, 40 reps

cg pushups w fee elevated- 4 sets of 15

incline db fly- 3 sets of 12

reverse curls- 3 sets to rep failure; 25, 15, 12

ez bar curls- 3 sets to failure- 25, 17, 8

Big Byrd
08-30-11, 3:02 pm
weight: 217
morning cardio 40 minutes

evening
stretch and warmup; lather w icy hot...

tired after long day of studyin; got get my brain back in shape after having the summer off. Just 8 more months...

So anyway;

sumo deadlifts
510x15 reps
510x10 reps

ghr- 2 sets of 12

front squats- half asses- 225x2 sets of 8.

reps killed me, im done.

My training partners are doing 5/3/1 and i just decided to follow suit today w their weights. felt good to do reps. Glutes were screaming after second set. very little low back pain this morning. have to do this more often.

good job on the rep pr Terry.

Big Byrd
08-30-11, 3:04 pm
Its slow, and a bit high; but a good starting point and confidence booster. no pain during or after the lift so my mind is ready to tackle it again next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHE3EUPngK8

C.Coronato
08-30-11, 4:11 pm
Everything looks solid Sam. Are you still planning on doing a bb show?

Big Byrd
08-30-11, 5:07 pm
Everything looks solid Sam. Are you still planning on doing a bb show?

Planning on it. sitting 7 weeks now. Just bumped morning cardio up to 40 minutes. Next week ill add second session post workout. weight is 217...

Big Byrd
08-30-11, 9:19 pm
Made a call to Animal's info/help line today for some info on the different supplements. talked to a guy named Adam. he was very knowledgeable about all the product and ingredients, very helpful. I didnt realize they had that line till i overheard some guys from the Arnold talking about it. If u got in questions give them a shout, they are more than helpful. the number is on every product and this website contact info

thanks Adam

ronnie
08-30-11, 9:37 pm
simply amazing that you can come back after surgery and retain so much strength. good work bro, keep at it.

Big Al
08-30-11, 9:57 pm
Its slow, and a bit high; but a good starting point and confidence booster. no pain during or after the lift so my mind is ready to tackle it again next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHE3EUPngK8

So pretty oh you too sam.

Big Byrd
08-31-11, 1:42 pm
So pretty oh you too sam.

he luvs me, he really luvs me!

Big Byrd
09-06-11, 10:58 am
Morning Cardio: 40min treadmill 3.0 @ 6%

Squats
bodyweight: 217

Rep-Max day
worked up to 610x6

GHR 4 sets of 12
rev crunch 4 sets of 15

Weight fel good on my back, but on 3rd rep i felt my hips/hip flexors cramping or something in the hole. Not sure what it was, but the last time i felt that, 2 years ago, i kept going and it popped real load and put me out of commission for a long time so i didnt push it. Still need to focus on getting my little muscles back up to speed; all the big muscles are good to go, just gotta be smart and not push too hard too fast after such a long layoff. Tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race. So ill drop back to 60% for 5x5 for a weeks, then once i feel like thats moving fast enough, ill add green bands to it.

VIDEO 610x10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOlyysPd1Uc&feature=player_embedded

Big Byrd
09-06-11, 10:59 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_xWF7cuo54&feature=player_embedded

Big Byrd
09-06-11, 11:04 am
OH french press: 95x15,115x12, 135x6, 155x6, 175x6, 195x6
CG pullups: 15, 10, 8+2, 10

Alternate sets, 1 minute rest b/t each exercise
CG bench: 115x15, 185x10, 225x10, 245x10, 275x7
Machine rows: ?? sets of 15 for every bench set

supersets
DB kickbacks
concentration curls

3 sets of 15 each

I love this workout! Kills my arms, and all my other major muscles too

Big Byrd
09-06-11, 11:05 am
Cardio 40 min
(if i dont put it, cardio is every morning 40 min. And now addig 30min second session also)

Worked up to 550x9; video to come soon.

GHR 4 sets of 12
lat pulldowns 3 set of 15 to chest; 3 sets 15 behind neck

Justin Randal
09-06-11, 3:09 pm
Subbed for the ride..

Theonidus
09-06-11, 6:18 pm
The last two sessions look sick. It's inspiring to see you come off an injury and still put up such numbers.

Phil800101
09-06-11, 11:13 pm
Looking strong in here Byrd! Good shit.

Big Byrd
09-07-11, 11:08 am
Thanks T and Phil. Nice to know people are checkin in ev ery once in a while haha

Big Byrd
09-07-11, 11:12 am
Wed Bench
weight: forgot to weight
5.5 weeks out from BB

Trained at 7am this morning. Still trying to get on a schedule. Was rough getting going, but def like the morning training sessions. Wish i could do it every day.

Bench; 135x15, 135x10, 225x10, 275x10x3sets
incline db press; 90x10, 100x10, 110x8, 100x10
incline db fly; 55x12x2sets
1-arm db laterals no rest; 30lbsx12repsx3sets
flat bench front raise (lying down to take traps out); 20lbsx15, 15lbsx20x3sets
--super set w tricep ext machine 15 reps each set

Cardio 40 minutes treadmill 3.0 at 6% incline

Big Byrd
09-07-11, 1:45 pm
Started a new post in the VIDEOS section with a complilation of various lifts over the years. i just found it, didnt even know that section existed, so check it out if u havent. ill be adding videos hopefully weekly

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?37063-Byrd-s-Gravity-Defying-Videos

ronnie
09-07-11, 7:31 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_xWF7cuo54&feature=player_embedded

lose the straps sister! great pulling buddy, keep up the good work!

Big Byrd
09-07-11, 7:40 pm
lose the straps sister! great pulling buddy, keep up the good work!

nah im good. im not training my grip

Big Byrd
09-13-11, 8:00 pm
friday squats

skipped; traveled home to c my mama

Big Byrd
09-13-11, 8:04 pm
saturday arms

standing OH french press; 45x20, 65x15, 95x12, 115x8, 135x6, 155x6, 175x6, 195x6, 195x5, 155x10
closegrip pullups- 15, 12, 10, 8, 7

supersets
incline ez bar skull crushers- 85x20, 85x15, 85x15
wide ez bar curls- 85x15, 85x15, 85x12

Big Byrd
09-13-11, 8:07 pm
monday DL

No DL; pulled pretty hard last 3 weeks, so saving back for squats in the cage.

standing wide grip face pulls supersetted w pulldowns; forced stretch on every rep
5 sets of 10 and 10; slow w a pause contraction

incline db rows; 75lbsx 15, 75x15, 75x22
rope grip upright rows; 4 sets of 15

Big Byrd
09-14-11, 11:25 am
weight 218 ( it think my scale is 5lbs heavy?)
woke 20 min am cardio
ate
trained at 7am

bench; up to 405x2, down to 315x9, 225x22
bdywgt dips; 25, 15, 10, 10, 30 second hold at top
low cable crossover superset w elbow out tri ext- 4 sets 15 reps each
1arm cable side laterals; 3 sets 12
triceps ladder on smith machine to failure
rev curls on smith machine; 3 sets 20
1arm db curl on incline bench; 2 sets 15

30 more minutes cardio

**NOTE: first time going heavy since Jan when i hurt my shoulder, right after my leg... some luck. SO anyway, didnt really expect to hit 405x1 so feel pretty good about 2. I know there was a mental barrier there for me so it should come up quick. But ill back the weight down and keep reps up till after the BB show then crank it up for a raw PL meet in Nov and Jan.

Big Byrd
09-14-11, 11:28 am
So its coming down to the wire now. Ill be 4 weeks out from my BB show after this weekend and ive been informed ill be cutting cals, doing carb rotations, and increasing cardio,... YAY. I still feel a little behind tho and its not a fun feeling. Dont want to get on stage at all really, but def dont want to get up there in less than stellar condition. I know im just doing this to stay in my weight class for PL and catch the rebound off the diet, but i dont wanna embarrass myself up there either.

getting stressful; gotta trust the plan. glad im not the one in charge of it, ild be killin myself w cardio right now...

BamBam
09-15-11, 11:24 am
I have nothing but the utmost faith in you sir and as always, you have been a true motivating factor for me especially your deadlift advice of "pull harder" at my meet last year. I cant wait to see how you look on stage and I know you r going to bring it!

On a side note... are you going to be at the KY Muscle this year? I have two meet coming up on Oct 15 and Nov 5 and was curious if you would be there again? If not...... any more advice?

ronnie
09-15-11, 10:27 pm
stick to it Sam, if it were easy, everyone would do it. its gonna be worth it in the end,.

alphagrrrrl
09-18-11, 12:06 pm
You son of a bitch!!! I hate you and your fucking 825 squat!!! Haha, j/k You know I love ya :) But,seriously I am so happy for you. Your squat yesterday was fucking incredible and I'm so lucky I get to train with you! I can't wait to see what you do at Record Breakers.

Here is video of Sam's 825 RAW squat in the Cage yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlMCIhdMSg4&feature=share

Big Al
09-19-11, 1:07 am
Damn he had some sexy ass spotters.LOL

smoothballer
09-19-11, 11:57 am
That was an incredible lift Sam.

Solid Dreams
09-19-11, 12:29 pm
You son of a bitch!!! I hate you and your fucking 825 squat!!! Haha, j/k You know I love ya :) But,seriously I am so happy for you. Your squat yesterday was fucking incredible and I'm so lucky I get to train with you! I can't wait to see what you do at Record Breakers.

Here is video of Sam's 825 RAW squat in the Cage yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlMCIhdMSg4&feature=share

I was yelling so loud at him to PUUUUUUUUSH that the neighbors wanted to know what football game I was watching...

Big Al
09-19-11, 5:48 pm
Sam is a fuckin beast!!!

alphagrrrrl
09-20-11, 5:05 am

Hell yeah!

alphagrrrrl
09-20-11, 5:09 am
I was yelling so loud at him to PUUUUUUUUSH that the neighbors wanted to know what football game I was watching...

We did the same thing! I plugged in the laptop to the 67in TV to watch it. My parents even stayed to see Sam's squat. We were all screaming as if we were there!

BTW Sam, my folks are really proud of you too! They'll be at Record Breakers to watch your freak show...oh, and maybe to see me lift as well :)

Big Byrd
09-20-11, 10:39 am
We did the same thing! I plugged in the laptop to the 67in TV to watch it. My parents even stayed to see Sam's squat. We were all screaming as if we were there!

BTW Sam, my folks are really proud of you too! They'll be at Record Breakers to watch your freak show...oh, and maybe to see me lift as well :)

we're gonna get u healed up and ready to go!

Big D
09-20-11, 12:50 pm

ohh yeaaa he did

G Diesel
09-20-11, 2:27 pm
Sam is a fuckin beast!!!

One of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet... Dude hit that squat a few weeks out from a bbing contest, deep in his diet and shredded. That shit is beyond impressive.

Peace, G

Big Byrd
09-20-11, 4:28 pm
One of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet... Dude hit that squat a few weeks out from a bbing contest, deep in his diet and shredded. That shit is beyond impressive.

Peace, G

Thanks G; Form and Function- thats what powerbuilding is all about.

Big Byrd
09-20-11, 8:40 pm
Vegas was a freakin blast! the O is a much more chill atmosphere than the Arnold insanity. Actually had time to BS w some of the crew in the cage this time. went out w Higa and Seath242 (who is nowhere near 242 anymore) and had a blast.

missed my freakin flight out Sunday and had to stay another night... cant say i completely hated it.

Phil800101
09-20-11, 10:13 pm
Vegas was a freakin blast! the O is a much more chill atmosphere than the Arnold insanity. Actually had time to BS w some of the crew in the cage this time. went out w Higa and Seath242 (who is nowhere near 242 anymore) and had a blast.

missed my freakin flight out Sunday and had to stay another night... cant say i completely hated it.

Squat was insane Byrd my man! Wish I coulda been there to see it live.

Yeah, from what I saw on the cam on Friday it looked much more laid-back and less hectic than the Arnold. Really hoping to make it out next year.

Big D
09-21-11, 9:37 am

i dont think i would have hated stayin another night either haha

Big Byrd
09-21-11, 8:20 pm
I am pleased with my 825 squat from this weekend. So is my diet coach, he rewarded me by cutting my carbs in half and doubling my cardio. Awesome! Thanks Ryan Walters!

cardio is at 40 minutes twice a day.

3.5 weeks to go; dont feel ready yet.

Funky
09-22-11, 7:19 am
I am pleased with my 825 squat from this weekend. So is my diet coach, he rewarded me by cutting my carbs in half and doubling my cardio. Awesome! Thanks Ryan Walters!

cardio is at 40 minutes twice a day.

3.5 weeks to go; dont feel ready yet.

That's harsh but it will work I bet! You are the Man Sam! You got the BB show just finish it out!

Seath308
09-22-11, 8:44 am

242? Duh Big Byrd Baby!!!! It's 308 :-) J-Dawg is the man!

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 10:48 am

pretty sure it was 242 or are the lowered carbs already affecting me?

Polk17
09-22-11, 11:07 am
pretty sure it was 242 or are the lowered carbs already affecting me?

Sick Squat by the way... I've always heard you had to taper the heavy stuff back near a show, while deep in your diet, for fear of injury... Guess that's a wash... Ha...

You mentioned, I believe, earlier that one of the main reasons you are doing this show is for the rebound you are going to get off your diet... What is the thought process behind this?

Aggression
09-22-11, 11:23 am

Sneaky bastard. Although I like Seath308 much better than Seath242. You're a fuckin' house, bro.

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 12:39 pm
Sick Squat by the way... I've always heard you had to taper the heavy stuff back near a show, while deep in your diet, for fear of injury... Guess that's a wash... Ha...

You mentioned, I believe, earlier that one of the main reasons you are doing this show is for the rebound you are going to get off your diet... What is the thought process behind this?

i didnt say it was smart; i just said i could. haha

if ur not familiar w post diet/contest rebound u r missing out. ask any bb they will tell u their best gains come during and right after show prep. the metabolism is primed, every aspect of their training is on point. ur ean and strong and feel unstoppable. im doing it for that, and because i dont wanna have to cut 20 pounds for next comp--that i like having abs and viens

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 12:41 pm
Sneaky bastard. Although I like Seath308 much better than Seath242. You're a fuckin' house, bro.

As house? Hardly... im only Byrd215... but i appreciate it. Cant get over some of the comments around the net; "That guy is only 215? What is he like 3 feet tall?"

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 12:44 pm
Feeling frustrated w the disjunction in power lifting.

Polk17
09-22-11, 1:17 pm
i didnt say it was smart; i just said i could. haha

if ur not familiar w post diet/contest rebound u r missing out. ask any bb they will tell u their best gains come during and right after show prep. the metabolism is primed, every aspect of their training is on point. ur ean and strong and feel unstoppable. im doing it for that, and because i dont wanna have to cut 20 pounds for next comp--that i like having abs and viens

Well pretty much every bad ass thing or idea has been preceded by some version of the saying "I'm not sure if this is smart"... And your Squat definitely qualifies for the bad ass part...

Thanks for the explanation... I am guessing that is why Josh McMillan is doing his diet and show also... It definitely makes sense in a bunch of ways... I am just like you, I don't wanna be strong and look like shit, don't wanna be strong and look weak, and I don't wanna look strong and not be...

Best of luck to you at your meet Byrd....

Polk17
09-22-11, 2:15 pm
Well pretty much every bad ass thing or idea has been preceded by some version of the saying "I'm not sure if this is smart"... And your Squat definitely qualifies for the bad ass part...

Thanks for the explanation... I am guessing that is why Josh McMillan is doing his diet and show also... It definitely makes sense in a bunch of ways... I am just like you, I don't wanna be strong and look like shit, don't wanna be strong and look weak, and I don't wanna look strong and not be...

I should say at your contest & meet....

BamBam
09-22-11, 3:31 pm
Feeling frustrated w the disjunction in power lifting.

Care to expand bro?

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 5:44 pm
Care to expand bro?

not really. haha same ole complaints

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 5:50 pm

thanks

Big D
09-22-11, 6:38 pm
As house? Hardly... im only Byrd215... but i appreciate it. Cant get over some of the comments around the net; "That guy is only 215? What is he like 3 feet tall?"

hes 4 feet tall.. God... people these days have no respect

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 7:17 pm
hes 4 feet tall.. God... people these days have no respect

in heels!

ronnie
09-22-11, 8:22 pm
Care to expand bro?

i imagine it has something to do with the comments left on msg boards and shit being said in conversation about squat depth and if certain lifts are legal or not. the world is full of powerlifting judges, just ask the next person you see comment on a youtube vid.

sam, 825 geared is big, 825 raw is HUGE, 825 4 weeks out... holy shit..

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 9:01 pm
i imagine it has something to do with the comments left on msg boards and shit being said in conversation about squat depth and if certain lifts are legal or not. the world is full of powerlifting judges, just ask the next person you see comment on a youtube vid.

sam, 825 geared is big, 825 raw is HUGE, 825 4 weeks out... holy shit..

Not really I haven't been on the boards. Hell r there any pl boards left? Where do people.go. that's part of it, just the whole disjunctive separateness. No unified fed, meet, or even forum

Big Byrd
09-22-11, 9:02 pm
Second cardio session down. 40 min x Two. Weighed 216 this morning. Really dragging today. Early bed

Big Byrd
09-23-11, 10:43 am
212 this morning. Cant believe how much ive tightened up so fast just from cutting carbs in half. Don know how to post pics so im just gonna post the link to my other training log.

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=154507&tid=

Solid Dreams
09-23-11, 12:51 pm
Damn, man. Dont try to drop much further though (at least in my opinion), I think you look sick as hell that way.

ronnie
09-23-11, 4:31 pm
Not really I haven't been on the boards. Hell r there any pl boards left? Where do people.go. that's part of it, just the whole disjunctive separateness. No unified fed, meet, or even forum

i think the best shot at a unified fed/meet is the raw unity meet. as far as i know, its not part of the WPO, SPF, IPF etc, its just the RAW UNITY MEET. to qualify you must have an elite total raw, from any raw federation and compete raw. obviously the only descrimination at RUM is the level of performance.

http://www.rawunitymeet.com/

as for no forum, your right, someone needs to capitalize on that. EFS is as the biggest online support of powerlifting there is, and i dont think Dave wants it to become a forum, that would ruin what EFS is. excellence.

Big Byrd
09-23-11, 8:57 pm
i think the best shot at a unified fed/meet is the raw unity meet. as far as i know, its not part of the WPO, SPF, IPF etc, its just the RAW UNITY MEET. to qualify you must have an elite total raw, from any raw federation and compete raw. obviously the only descrimination at RUM is the level of performance.

http://www.rawunitymeet.com/

as for no forum, your right, someone needs to capitalize on that. EFS is as the biggest online support of powerlifting there is, and i dont think Dave wants it to become a forum, that would ruin what EFS is. excellence.

Rum is a noble attempt but.its been an epic failure. I did it this year and ill do again in Jan but its not all that. Competition is against a list not head to head. Whatever. I'm not getting started I don't have the energy for it and I'm not in a position to.fix it.

Big Byrd
09-23-11, 9:01 pm
Damn, man. Dont try to drop much further though (at least in my opinion), I think you look sick as hell that way.

Thanks bro. But right now I'm just where I wanna stay year round so do that I drop under a little bit. And I'm getting on a bb stage not.hanging at the beach. Big difference. What's lean by yourself on the beach and looks great looks like shit next to a peeled contest ready bodybuilder.

ronnie
09-23-11, 9:44 pm
Rum is a noble attempt but.its been an epic failure. I did it this year and ill do again in Jan but its not all that. Competition is against a list not head to head. Whatever. I'm not getting started I don't have the energy for it and I'm not in a position to.fix it.

Hmm, honestly i dont know much about it other then what i wrote, it seemed like a good thing too me. what do you mean competition is against a list? what is wrong with RUM?

Big Byrd
09-26-11, 9:59 am
Hmm, honestly i dont know much about it other then what i wrote, it seemed like a good thing too me. what do you mean competition is against a list? what is wrong with RUM?

The sport is so dilute there is no or very little head to head competition. U compete against a list of prior lifts. A record list, a top 100 list a whatever.. wins and trophies mean very little to me bc there are so many state regional national world titles... so many feds. Competition is just diluted. Not that there aren't great lifters competing, there are just so many meets to choose from that its difficult and rare To bring them all together. So u know who ur comp is, but they r not on the.platform w u. U r competition against urself.and the numbers they set however long ago at some other meet.under some other set of judging.

Big Byrd
09-26-11, 4:14 pm
Saturday arms:
oh french press- 45x20, 45x20, 65x15, 85x15, 105x15, 135x15, 135x12, 135x10, 115x13
close grip pulldowns; idk weights, bout same progression as tris. nothing too heavy, felt like crap

cardio 2 rounds of 40 minutes

Sun: cardio 2 rounds of 40 min

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 12:23 pm
monday DL

worked up to 585x8; felt like crap. super sore and super tired, maybe still from the Cage Squat?
GHR 5 sets of 15
rack chins- 5 sets of 15
ab wheel 4 sets 15

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 12:25 pm
wed bench

up to 315x10
some light smith machine bench... still beat up
lots of side and front laterals

cardio... i forget to post; but still 40 min twice a day

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 12:26 pm
friday squats

up to 405 for 3 sets of 10
ghr- 5 sets 15
rack chins- 5 sets 10-15
ab wheel

cardio only morning; 40 min

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 12:28 pm
sat arms

oh french press
close grip pull downs
-alternate sets
close grip machine bench
v-bar cable row
-superset
tri ext machine
preacher curls

cardio x2 x 40min

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 8:19 pm
weight 214
http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=155173&tid=209

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=155175&tid=209

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 8:28 pm
a few more pics at 2 weeks out

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=155176&tid=209

Big Al
10-04-11, 8:41 pm
wow you sure are sexy...hope you get that new stripper job..OH,your doing a bodybuilding show.LOL
Love ya,

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 8:50 pm
wow you sure are sexy...hope you get that new stripper job..OH,your doing a bodybuilding show.LOL
Love ya,

theres a difference? oh, i get paid to strip but have to pay someone else to be a bodybuilder... seems like i need a directional change. For real tho, i already made up my mind if this being a lawyer thing doesnt work out im moving to vegas to be a stripper; prolly make better money doin that anyway!

J Wong
10-04-11, 10:14 pm
You look real good man, good job. What are your plans for after this show? You going to keep competing @ 220 and go for Kellum's squat record?

Big Byrd
10-04-11, 10:52 pm
You look real good man, good job. What are your plans for after this show? You going to keep competing @ 220 and go for Kellum's squat record?

No, that's my squat record. Kellum, and pozdeev , just borrowed them for a little bit.

Polk17
10-05-11, 9:23 am
You might not have a reason for this, but I am just curious. Im testing my maxes for my first week, and hit my all time PR squat of 455, I think I had 475 in me, but I had to cut my WO short... And if all goes well I should hit 575+ on my Pull... I know that at times some lifts progress faster than others, but it seems odd to me that my Pull has a chance to be 100 pounds over my Squat... I'm not complaining by any means, but any thoughts?

Big Byrd
10-05-11, 10:12 am
You might not have a reason for this, but I am just curious. Im testing my maxes for my first week, and hit my all time PR squat of 455, I think I had 475 in me, but I had to cut my WO short... And if all goes well I should hit 575+ on my Pull... I know that at times some lifts progress faster than others, but it seems odd to me that my Pull has a chance to be 100 pounds over my Squat... I'm not complaining by any means, but any thoughts?

i think thats typical for most people. i wish i had that problem.

Funky
10-05-11, 10:17 am

So you wish your squat was 100 pounds below your deadlift? LOL That seems crazy cause you have a hell of a squat!

Polk17
10-05-11, 10:23 am

Ya it seems like you are right... Maybe why it seems ass backwards, is because of all of the huge numbers put up on Squat w/ gear, because of the carryover... Now that you said that it definitely seems like Raw, it is that way...

Big Byrd
10-05-11, 12:02 pm
So you wish your squat was 100 pounds below your deadlift? LOL That seems crazy cause you have a hell of a squat!

No no my friend, i wish my pull was 100 pounds over my squat! THAT would make for one helluva total! And best coans DL record of 901!

Funky
10-05-11, 12:11 pm
No no my friend, i wish my pull was 100 pounds over my squat! THAT would make for one helluva total! And best coans DL record of 901!

Yeah I figured you meant it like that! Best of luck getting it up there! 10 years ago my squat was better than my dead now it is the exact opposite. Crazy

Big Byrd
10-06-11, 1:28 pm
wed bench

weight back up to 215 but tighter

cardio upon waking, 40 min
eat then gym

5 rounds in 20 minutes
10 pullups/ 15 dips/ 15 pushups

calves

great workout done in 40 minutes! pump from hell in chest/sho/back and arms

Big Byrd
10-06-11, 1:48 pm
1 week out from Bodybuilding show. Weight 215 morning empty stomach

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=155298&tid=

The House
10-06-11, 7:41 pm
looking good buddy... look even tighter this week and even dryer and it will only get better this week. keep up the good work cant wait to see u on stage. best of luck my friend.. i am proud of your dedication and hard work in both of your sports. it takes a special person to do one sport and you are doing two keep it up. the last week is always my fav lol

Big Byrd
10-06-11, 11:39 pm
looking good buddy... look even tighter this week and even dryer and it will only get better this week. keep up the good work cant wait to see u on stage. best of luck my friend.. i am proud of your dedication and hard work in both of your sports. it takes a special person to do one sport and you are doing two keep it up. the last week is always my fav lol

Thanks House... this is all ur fault putting the thought in my head. Haha do I sense a bit of sarcasm bout the last week?

Big Byrd
10-07-11, 12:38 pm
Feeling good today. Everything feels like its coming together. Cant believe how drastic the changes have been the last 3 weeks since the Mr. O. w just a minor diet tweak and an extra cardio session. I havent been moody, that i think anyways, but have been pretty drained. Long hours in the books studyin and my eyes get heavy faster. Its been a HUGE stress relief to not have to worry over what to do with my diet, cardio and supps. Workin with Ryan has been the best decision ive made in a while. I just wouldnt even be able to consider doin a BB show on top of all i have goin on if i had to worry about all that too. Looking forward to shifting gears again and focus on putting up some big numbers... but one thing at a time.

Gotta get this show over w cause itll be time to really bear down the last 6 weeks before finals. hard to believe ill graduate in another 7 months. But im not gonna think about the work for the Bar Exam yet haha

anyways, back to work. Just wanted to note im feelin good and lookin forward to the changes over the last week of prep.

Aggression
10-07-11, 12:43 pm
Lookin' shredded, B. I'm still in disbelief with how you could squat 825 being 4 weeks out. Sick.

I have a question for you regarding squats. I have my 2nd meet coming up in 4 weeks. Regarding hand positioning on the bar while squatting, is it just about going with what is comfortable? I use to grip a bit wider than I do now and I've just been playing with different grips. Any distance better than the other; closer to the body, farther away?