PDA

View Full Version : High Volume or Low Volume?

Carrnage
06-08-11, 11:17 pm
What training style do you guys prefer? And why? or do you take it instinctive?

Im wondering on everyone's view on training here, this thread will hopefully help the newbies out there! Yeah Budy!

BigKaine
06-09-11, 12:20 am
hey i would have to say that i tend to do both. sometimes my mood changes what i do and sometimes my routine forces me one way. both are fun and effective!

stay large everyone!

Sinister_TES
06-09-11, 12:32 am
9-14 sets depending on bodyparts (back and legs are on the higher end)
only 1-2 sets per exercise are close to, at, or past failure
I prefer this level of volume over high volume becuase:
1) I feel it doesnt take much to trigger a growth response
2)To many sets turns my workouts into a marathon and intensity drops quickley
3)This allows for good recovery
4)minimizes the time in the gym optimizing rest and recovery time outside of gym
5)The pump doesnt matter to me and I feel its over rated so i dont do 20 sets to achieve it

Back To Basics
06-09-11, 2:33 am
Use your instincts.

zubda345
06-09-11, 4:58 am
The day I started the gym I like to do high volume. But sometimes I also aim towards low volume training style depending on the situation of the day and body... But I like to do High volume not Low.

Funky
06-09-11, 9:35 am
I think there is a time for both. When you are doing a lot of extra stuff where you need the energy besides just working out, low volume gives your muscles activity and keeps them strong allowing you to also have power for other things, such as different sports ect... When you want that super great pump and can give your body the rest it will need afterwards high volume is great your muscles will grow like crazy and your strength will shoot up.

Then there is the happy medium where you can hit the low volume for a while then switch to higher this really shocks your body and will push you through plateaus when you hit them. You gotta feel it out and find what works for you and your life style the whole fun in this game is trying things and always researching what changes your body and gives you what you want!

Good luck and happy lifting!

mritter3
06-09-11, 9:39 am
im a low volume guy..follow 531 PL,...into pushing heavy weights period

although both styles def. have there place.

Bruiser
06-09-11, 9:44 am
High volume. Always. I alternate between doing 4 sets of 3 different giant sets (four exercises back to back) and doing 5 sets of 4-6 exercises per body part. The giant sets are my low volume weeks. I prefer the high volume when I'm doing 20-30 sets per body part. If it's arms, I count bi's and tri's as two parts and try to do 20 sets for each of them that day. On arm day I start with the B3 where I do 200 reps each arm, then I'll start my regular arm session after that. So yeah, high volume definitely...

Aggression
06-09-11, 10:25 am
I follow 5/3/1 programs, so that would be low volume. However, every once in a while I take a break and switch to some high volume work. For strength gains, I feel low volume works better. For mass/pumps, higher volume. Then again, that's what works for me. Others may be different.

Spastic_Koala
06-09-11, 11:25 am
I generally mix it up based on how my body is feeling on a given day. But I'd say I do lean towards high volume.

Appollonian
06-09-11, 11:33 am
Most days my workouts are high volume with super, giant, drop sets, etc thrown in, but for back/chest, leg, and shoulder days my first 2 - 3 exercises are more for heavier weights, then I transition into a more volume filled workout.

BarbellManiac
06-09-11, 2:32 pm
There's no best way, just the way that works for you and works for that amount of time. Currently I'm doing Dorian's HIT which is working well for me. I might stick to this forever or change it over time, honestly I just like HIT better because I like going one all out set and kill the muscle. Plus workouts are shorter around 45-60 minutes so not much cortisol release. There's ample amount of recovery time, and it allows you to spend more time on other things.

ToSo
06-09-11, 3:02 pm
There's no best way, just the way that works for you and works for that amount of time.

Absolutely! I found what works best for me is heavy weight high volume. I know Vinny said even in pre contest he still keeps the weight high with the volume. Also the style of training that I really idolize is Greg Long's. At the Universal Muscle Camp he trained chest with a few others and he is a beast. He said rep range and weight doesn't really matter as long as your destroying the body part your training. Thats how I've been training lately and love it. (Don't overtrain though)

BarbellManiac
06-09-11, 3:22 pm
Absolutely! I found what works best for me is heavy weight high volume. I know Vinny said even in pre contest he still keeps the weight high with the volume. Also the style of training that I really idolize is Greg Long's. At the Universal Muscle Camp he trained chest with a few others and he is a beast. He said rep range and weight doesn't really matter as long as your destroying the body part your training. Thats how I've been training lately and love it. (Don't overtrain though)

Indeed, because no matter what method we use our main purpose is to tear down the muscle. Whether it be from high volume or low.

Big Byrd
06-09-11, 4:20 pm
I do it all over time. High reps low reps, high volume lower intensity (weight) and lower volume higher intensity. It all has its place. I generally do lower reps on the first compound movent of workout like squat bench deadlift, BB rows then follow up accessory work with higher reps. I also tend to cycly phases of higher volume and lower volume, switching when i fewel ive stalled out or want a change of pace.

All training styles work, but they dont all work all the time. I push the edge of overtraining for a while then cut back to the point of almost under training, always striving to recover and stay in between the edges; thats where progress is made.

Carrnage
06-09-11, 5:17 pm
There's no best way, just the way that works for you and works for that amount of time. Currently I'm doing Dorian's HIT which is working well for me. I might stick to this forever or change it over time, honestly I just like HIT better because I like going one all out set and kill the muscle. Plus workouts are shorter around 45-60 minutes so not much cortisol release. There's ample amount of recovery time, and it allows you to spend more time on other things.

Theres ways to do multiple sets to failure like dorian does and still get out of the gym within 40 mins just to let ya know

Appollonian
06-09-11, 5:29 pm

I've read a few studies that linked going beyond failure multiple times within a workout is linked to cortisol release, not just the workout duration. It's been a long time and I can't remember where I read it, so maybe it's just bunk...

I love training like this myself, but I have to make sure if I'm taking multiple sets to failure, that I cut the workout duration as needed.

Carrnage
06-09-11, 6:51 pm
I've read a few studies that linked going beyond failure multiple times within a workout is linked to cortisol release, not just the workout duration. It's been a long time and I can't remember where I read it, so maybe it's just bunk...

I love training like this myself, but I have to make sure if I'm taking multiple sets to failure, that I cut the workout duration as needed.

Training beyond failure does trigger cortisol release and bangs the nervous system hard. Im surprised Dorian even recovered from it. Thats why i nod my head when kids want to train like Dorian lol.

Appollonian
06-09-11, 7:30 pm
Training beyond failure does trigger cortisol release and bangs the nervous system hard. Im surprised Dorian even recovered from it. Thats why i nod my head when kids want to train like Dorian lol.

Just looking at Dorian, I think we can all say he was 'superhuman'* in his recovery abilities. Even then it started to wear on him as the years rolled on.

I'm not saying training to failure at the last set or two of each exercise, but going well beyond failure (a la Yates) is supposed to bump up the production.

*And by superhuman, I am purely speaking genetically

Carrnage
06-09-11, 10:01 pm
Just looking at Dorian, I think we can all say he was 'superhuman'* in his recovery abilities. Even then it started to wear on him as the years rolled on.

I'm not saying training to failure at the last set or two of each exercise, but going well beyond failure (a la Yates) is supposed to bump up the production.

*And by superhuman, I am purely speaking genetically

Check out Dorian's pics before he started using *********, he didnt have any good genetics, he literally had to eat his ass off and train as heavy as possible to build his physque with horrible genetics. Even though he won multiple Mr.O titles Shawn Ray,Levrone,Flex,Jay all agree that Dorian's genetic shape wasnt the best. I agree too he didnt have the most pleasing physque....just awhole lot of mass! Dude was a monster.

Appollonian
06-09-11, 10:21 pm
Check out Dorian's pics before he started using *********, he didnt have any good genetics, he literally had to eat his ass off and train as heavy as possible to build his physque with horrible genetics. Even though he won multiple Mr.O titles Shawn Ray,Levrone,Flex,Jay all agree that Dorian's genetic shape wasnt the best. I agree too he didnt have the most pleasing physque....just awhole lot of mass! Dude was a monster.

Man, I certainly wasn't saying this is "the way" to train or "supplement"... Personally my own experiments with heavy duty type training didn't lead to monster gains, only getting burned out.

BarbellManiac
06-10-11, 12:28 am
Theres ways to do multiple sets to failure like dorian does and still get out of the gym within 40 mins just to let ya know

Too taxing on the body, and no if I went to true failure on squats, I would have no fucking energy for another. I don't know how you train Carnage, but most people don't have that kind of endurance to do multiple sets of failure for multiple exercises and do it within 40 minutes.

ossizen
06-10-11, 9:27 am
I started doing high volume this week (Sheiko). Last time I did high volume, my legs grew like weeds.

Carrnage
06-10-11, 9:02 pm
Too taxing on the body, and no if I went to true failure on squats, I would have no fucking energy for another. I don't know how you train Carnage, but most people don't have that kind of endurance to do multiple sets of failure for multiple exercises and do it within 40 minutes.

Going to "failure" for multiple sets is taxing on the body in a good way, now if we are talking about doing 10 sets to failure on preacher curls then thats gonna fuck you up! lol Going to "True Failure" with forced reps and drop sets wont benefit the natural lifter as its way to taxing on the cns, i mean from time to time, lets say your sleeping perfect everynight, eating right everyday, stress is low, then go for the drop sets and extreme failure techniques. They are a usefull tool dont get me wrong! And if we are doing barbell squats or barbell deadlifts i wont do volume sets on those, obviously going to failure on a full body movement like that will hit you hard. But on other movements like dips,chins,curls,presses, etc. I will typically use volume methods. I dunno why you keep bringing up "squats". If you dont agree with me...I ask you to please agree with me so you can think outside of the box, incorporate new techniques and be "SMART" about training rather than sticking 1 thing all the time.

Remember Train hard and smart......but more on the smarter side.

Carrnage
06-10-11, 9:04 pm
I started doing high volume this week (Sheiko). Last time I did high volume, my legs grew like weeds.

Well thats because the Growth Hormone, Testosterone, IGF-1 release during that style of training is MUCH MORE then if you were to do a low volume style of training or a extreme failure style like HIT. (This isnt my facts....its been re-searched by science, and some things science prove....sometimes dont work 100 percent of the time.....but from the time ive been training myself and my clients....High Volume training seems to build muscle and lose fat the best, even for the natural lifter.)

BarbellManiac
06-10-11, 10:08 pm
Going to "failure" for multiple sets is taxing on the body in a good way, now if we are talking about doing 10 sets to failure on preacher curls then thats gonna fuck you up! lol Going to "True Failure" with forced reps and drop sets wont benefit the natural lifter as its way to taxing on the cns, i mean from time to time, lets say your sleeping perfect everynight, eating right everyday, stress is low, then go for the drop sets and extreme failure techniques. They are a usefull tool dont get me wrong! And if we are doing barbell squats or barbell deadlifts i wont do volume sets on those, obviously going to failure on a full body movement like that will hit you hard. But on other movements like dips,chins,curls,presses, etc. I will typically use volume methods. I dunno why you keep bringing up "squats". If you dont agree with me...I ask you to please agree with me so you can think outside of the box, incorporate new techniques and be "SMART" about training rather than sticking 1 thing all the time.

Remember Train hard and smart......but more on the smarter side.

I dunno carnage, that's too taxing at least for me. I agree that it might work for some people like you and it "can" work, but not in my case. Everyone's different, and I'm willing to consider that such training methods do work, but not in my case or a newbies (I think, because most don't know what true failure is until at least an year's worth of true training experience).

Carrnage
06-11-11, 12:26 am
I dunno carnage, that's too taxing at least for me. I agree that it might work for some people like you and it "can" work, but not in my case. Everyone's different, and I'm willing to consider that such training methods do work, but not in my case or a newbies (I think, because most don't know what true failure is until at least an year's worth of true training experience).

Have you even tried high volume in your life?

BarbellManiac
06-11-11, 1:32 am
Have you even tried high volume in your life?

Oh yeah, I used to do up to 16 sets for large bodyparts and 12 for smaller, but never went to true failure, backed off a little before reaching the point of failure. It worked real good at first, obviously due to natty gains, but I started to feel it was too much.

Carrnage
06-11-11, 4:41 am
Oh yeah, I used to do up to 16 sets for large bodyparts and 12 for smaller, but never went to true failure, backed off a little before reaching the point of failure. It worked real good at first, obviously due to natty gains, but I started to feel it was too much.

Oh i see, theres no way i can ever back off lol....doing 30 sets to failure for back or quads would seem like overtraining to most....but once you understand how to do it right with the lowest rest periods, and intensity it works wonders overtime.

GUNS
06-11-11, 10:46 am
I think along with alot of others here, instinctive is the way to go. I like to do both. Go through cycles of 5-6 weeks of heavy training, and 5-6 weeks of volume training. Changing it up is where it's at for new growth. The body loves to adapt and it does so very quickly.

BarbellManiac
06-11-11, 12:33 pm
Oh i see, theres no way i can ever back off lol....doing 30 sets to failure for back or quads would seem like overtraining to most....but once you understand how to do it right with the lowest rest periods, and intensity it works wonders overtime.

Not for me, might work for you. I'm not going to argue with you because I know my body better than any doctor or guru out there. Low volume works for me PERIOD!

Carrnage
06-11-11, 4:59 pm
Not for me, might work for you. I'm not going to argue with you because I know my body better than any doctor or guru out there. Low volume works for me PERIOD!

Atta boy

BarbellManiac
06-11-11, 5:18 pm
Atta boy

lmao

Machine
06-13-11, 9:58 pm
Seems to me that there is a season for all things.

MACHINE