PDA

View Full Version : Beans, beans good for ... what?

Cellardweller
06-16-11, 9:27 pm
What do you guys think of beans? How great of a protein source are they? Are there certain kinds of beans that are better than others? Besides chili or maybe tossing some on top of a salad, how do you eat them?

Back To Basics
06-16-11, 11:19 pm
I only really eat beans with chilli/stews, I don't like them that much with anything else.

Nix0r
06-16-11, 11:31 pm
Ground beef + beans + rice = glorious meal.

Appollonian
06-17-11, 7:44 am
I like black beans with quasi-Mexican/TexMex dishes, and chickpeas with salads and Mediterranean dishes. While not a complete source of proteins, I believe they can be a great addition to a daily meal plan.

mritter3
06-17-11, 8:11 am
I use black beans in just about every mexican dish i prepare, i do use garbanzo beans from time to time with my pasta's, obviously chili beans in chili...and the white beans also when i make white chicken chili, or sometimes for a quick snack i throw some white beans and tuna and thousand island dressing in a wrap and eat...its pretty good

Aggression
06-17-11, 8:18 am
Ground beef + beans + rice = glorious meal.

Yup. In the off season, I love adding some beans to any meal that has rice in it. Delicious.

Polk17
06-17-11, 9:39 am
What do you guys think of beans? How great of a protein source are they? Are there certain kinds of beans that are better than others? Besides chili or maybe tossing some on top of a salad, how do you eat them?

Like all these guys said, they are a great add on to meals... But as a Protein source, I don't like them... They don't come from an living source, so they don't have an amino acid profile, its not a complete protein... I don't believe one could grow on beans as a protein source... I eat them, but I don't count them towards my daily protein number... Hope that helps....

rev8ball
06-17-11, 10:36 am
Like all these guys said, they are a great add on to meals... But as a Protein source, I don't like them... They don't come from an living source, so they don't have an amino acid profile, its not a complete protein... I don't believe one could grow on beans as a protein source... I eat them, but I don't count them towards my daily protein number... Hope that helps....

It's tough, but possible, and nothing I would do. But combining legumes with grains in a meal does offer a complete protein file, albeit bioavailability sucks vs. something like milk, eggs, etc. Plus, you get other nutrients from animal proteins that you don't get much of (or any) with plant proteins....

bigdog
06-18-11, 12:51 pm
red beans with rice every monday night! i skip the smoked sausage in them that my family eats and opt for lean ground beef as well... yummy

Cellardweller
06-18-11, 1:07 pm
I was wondering how much of a place in people's diets beans had. I know they're incomplete, but so are nuts and even peanut butter. Beans, rice and ground beef does sound pretty good.

rev8ball
06-18-11, 3:58 pm
I was wondering how much of a place in people's diets beans had. I know they're incomplete, but so are nuts and even peanut butter. Beans, rice and ground beef does sound pretty good.

I throw different beans into different meals - there's a million combos, and they all taste great.
Variety is the spice of life, bro, nothing wrong with them and they are good for you in so many ways..... Eat up!

J Wolf
06-23-11, 4:52 pm
Beans are in fact a good source of protein. We know this but the problem with just eating beans with ground beef is you're not getting all your EAA. Beans are an incomplete protein which means they do NOT contain all your essential amino acids.
They wont properly digest and they wont get used toward your muscle recovery as good.

The best way to eat beans is to have a complex carb with them. This will make them complete. Next time you're looking for a good chili recipe that will give you everything the beans have to offer make it with some kind of rice in there.
I still live with my parents( I'm only 18 years old and just graduated high school) when my mom makes chili, she makes a mexican chili. Adds salsa and a few peppers in there, pretty good stuff. Try to find a recipe for this and add some spainish rice. If that doesn't sound pleaseing make a vegi bean and rice soup, or just add brown rice to your chili now.
It will be better for the protein digestion, and absortion.