PDA

View Full Version : Close Grip Bench

Cellardweller
06-22-11, 2:03 pm
I've been a little undecided on my CGBP. I've been training 5x5 on my big lifts. For tri's I can only do CGBP for a compound movement due to a bad elbow, then I do higher volume work on various pressdowns. My question is should I do 5x5 on CGBP or should I do higher volume work. My arms seem to be lacking in size compared to the rest of me, but I'm doing more of a power workout. I seem to bounce back and forth on this and was wondering what everyone's opinion is.

zubda345
06-22-11, 3:07 pm
I've been a little undecided on my CGBP. I've been training 5x5 on my big lifts. For tri's I can only do CGBP for a compound movement due to a bad elbow, then I do higher volume work on various pressdowns. My question is should I do 5x5 on CGBP or should I do higher volume work. My arms seem to be lacking in size compared to the rest of me, but I'm doing more of a power workout. I seem to bounce back and forth on this and was wondering what everyone's opinion is.

I would say U should give the high volume work a try... It might bring luck and hopefully it will...

Gorilla.
06-22-11, 3:14 pm
I would say U should give the high volume work a try... It might bring luck and hopefully it will...

i feel that this lift does wonders for my tri's, im on bosshoggs and i do this on my chest day, i feel its working good because im always upping it in weight and im constantly getting more stretch marks on my tricep area which are kinda cool haha, and i do 4 sets 7/5/3/2 then up weight after i get that

i would just stick with the 5x5 with a weight you can handle so you arent bouncing back and forth, even start lighter to where you know you can get 5 and just go from there

zubda345
06-22-11, 3:19 pm
i feel that this lift does wonders for my tri's, im on bosshoggs and i do this on my chest day, i feel its working good because im always upping it in weight and im constantly getting more stretch marks on my tricep area which are kinda cool haha, and i do 4 sets 7/5/3/2 then up weight after i get that

i would just stick with the 5x5 with a weight you can handle so you arent bouncing back and forth, even start lighter to where you know you can get 5 and just go from there

I have been on BH's and it's awesome I got alot out from it...

Aggression
06-22-11, 3:40 pm
CGBP is one of the best movements to help build some thick triceps. Try hitting them up 2nd or 3rd in your routine. The first exercise or two should be more of a pressdown or machine movement to get the joints warmed up. Then test the waters on the CGBP. If you can go heavy, go for it. Otherwise, rep some higher weight out for 10-12 reps. Or find something else.

BigAnt
06-22-11, 9:02 pm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe try one workout reps in the 4-8 range...next workout reps 8-15range. I also have some elbow(s) issues time to time...What helps me is to Icy Hot them up, use neoprene elbow sleeves. Warm up very good, like 3-4 sets of single one arm rope push downs reps 20-25 range....light-light-light weight.... And I love skull crushers, but when my elbow(s) act up, I do my skull crushers with the curl bar with a wider grip.

Big C
06-22-11, 9:29 pm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe try one workout reps in the 4-8 range...next workout reps 8-15range. I also have some elbow(s) issues time to time...What helps me is to Icy Hot them up, use neoprene elbow sleeves. Warm up very good, like 3-4 sets of single one arm rope push downs reps 20-25 range....light-light-light weight.... And I love skull crushers, but when my elbow(s) act up, I do my skull crushers with the curl bar with a wider grip.

Sounds good Ant. Love skulls myself....but when my elbow(s) act up I do incline skullcrusher with EZ bar and those are easier on my elbowns than laying on a flat bench.

Carrnage
06-22-11, 10:04 pm

Try techniques like fst-7, Crazy-8's(watch Kuclo's vids), DC, standard pyramid sets(Dorians style), drop sets, forced reps, super sets, giant sets, old school high volume?(think about Arnold,Franco,Lee Haney days).

Theres so many different training styles. Try a few in 1 workout see how you feel about it and see if it brings results when the muscle is repaired.

Or stick to one style for 6-10 months? No! We only live life once! (obviously if something is working, keep it up, no matter what anyone says!)

Tiny1102
06-22-11, 10:38 pm
Sorry, but if it hurts your elbows, then stop and let them heal. Maybe, do them off boards and it should take some pressure off the joints and focus more on the triceps. You need to ice every night and start taking Animal Flex. If your just sore, then the pain should be gone in 2 or 3 weeks, but don't stop taking it.

Cellardweller
06-23-11, 12:59 pm
My elbow doesn't bother me on presses. I do flat, incline and decline bench press before doing close grips. My tri's are primed and ready. I just consider CGBP to be more of a compound movement, but at the same time it's accessory work. Maybe Carnage is right, maybe I'm not mixing that one up enough where I'm concerned that I'm mixing it up too much.

Sinister_TES
06-23-11, 1:10 pm
I know this might sound like a wierd set up but I find this version works my tris alot better then the standard close grip bench, as well as placing less stress on my elbows:
Setup up a flat bench in a smith machine with the end of the bench basically inline with the bar.
now get on the bench but let your ass hang off one and and sag down
pinch your shoulder blades like a normal bench.
Now takea grip likea normal cgb, but when you press, press up and away from you not just up.
I find this puts all the stress on the tris and none on the shoulders or pecs, pushing away also keeps constant tension on them. You will have to play around with positioning to get the right feel, sometimes the bar is over my chest, other stimes its over my stomach, jsut do what feel right for you. This setup also works with reverse grip press real well. You can go real heavy on both

GUNS
06-26-11, 6:30 am
Alot of good comments and like Aggression said, try warming up with some pushdowns first. My elbows used to get a little tweak in it if I went too heavy to fast. Also, let your elbows go where they naturally want to go. People try to force their elbows in and that ain't natural. If your elbows flair out a little, so be it. And as BigAnt said, try some elbow sleeves. I have recently added them and my elbow pain is pretty much all gone. Of course we all get little tweaks here and there, and Tiny Said it best, if you feel pain, something aint right so stop what your doing.

On another note, how far is everyone placing their hands apart on the CGBP? My thumbs are about 6-8 inches apart. Find it to be where it works my tri's the best, and Ive gotten pretty strong with them.

Cellardweller
06-26-11, 11:58 am
Just to clarify, CGBP is the only tricept mass builder I can do WITHOUT pain. I do about 16 sets of various bench presses before I hit close grips. What I'm not sure about is if I should do 5x5 with them like my bench presses or if I should train volume with them. Like I said, close grips is like a compound movement, but at the same time it's accessory work, so its kind of a gray area in my line up. I've learned to train around my injury, yeah, I need an MRI of my elbow, but I know what I can do without having to take a week off due to pain.

edit: I appreciate the advice and concern for my injury guys.

GUNS
06-26-11, 2:17 pm
I think 5x5. Heavy!

BarbellManiac
06-26-11, 2:34 pm
Try techniques like fst-7, Crazy-8's(watch Kuclo's vids), DC, standard pyramid sets(Dorians style), drop sets, forced reps, super sets, giant sets, old school high volume?(think about Arnold,Franco,Lee Haney days).

Theres so many different training styles. Try a few in 1 workout see how you feel about it and see if it brings results when the muscle is repaired.

Or stick to one style for 6-10 months? No! We only live life once! (obviously if something is working, keep it up, no matter what anyone says!)

This!! The best advice regarding training.

SuperFlexSteve
06-26-11, 3:09 pm
Personally.. my triceps respond to hard & heavy close grips. So many different ways to train them though, start experimenting.

Jzepp
06-26-11, 5:32 pm
CGBP is one of the best movements to help build some thick triceps. Try hitting them up 2nd or 3rd in your routine. The first exercise or two should be more of a pressdown or machine movement to get the joints warmed up. Then test the waters on the CGBP. If you can go heavy, go for it. Otherwise, rep some higher weight out for 10-12 reps. Or find something else.

Is it necessary to come all the way down on CGBP's? I usually stop the bar about 2" above my chest and do not lock out at the top.

BarbellManiac
06-26-11, 6:46 pm
Is it necessary to come all the way down on CGBP's? I usually stop the bar about 2" above my chest and do not lock out at the top.

As long as most of the tension is in your triceps and you feel it, your good.

GUNS
06-27-11, 2:16 am
MMC, if you feel it, then so be it. I try to come down as far as comfortable. But depending on how close your CGBP is, it could put alot of strain on your elbows. So do whats comfy!