PDA

View Full Version : Self Reliance

Lonestar
06-24-11, 1:46 pm
Who goes out and gets their own food? Fish, deer, rabbits, ect... And whats your favorite way to cook em up?

G Diesel
06-24-11, 1:59 pm
Who goes out and gets their own food? Fish, deer, rabbits, ect... And whats your favorite way to cook em up?

In my opinion, the only reason (other than self-defense) to ever kill an animal.

While I probably couldn't do it myself, I think hunting for self-reliance is a noble pursuit and probably a far healthier means of sourcing protein.

Peace, G

J Wolf
06-25-11, 11:55 am
That is pretty much how we get all of our food here. As a matter of fact I got some walleye thawing out on the counter as we speak

MRmichael.hooker
06-25-11, 1:52 pm

I go out to the local butcher & walmart if that counts any

Knife
08-25-11, 5:36 am
I realize this thread is a little old, but in all fairness I've been gone for quite a while too.

For the past couple years that's where the majority of my meat comes from. Venison, pheasant, quail, fish, rabbit, squirrel.. I've always been a hunter/fisherman/trapper; was raised that way, but it wasn't until a couple years ago that I limited out on deer for the first time during, and as a result I didn't have to buy beef for almost a year. I couldn't, actually..there wasn't room in the freezer for any. I don't really know how to explain it other than after a month or so of eating deer meat in place of beef I just plain felt better. Healthier, I guess you could say. May be all in my head. I also like the taste of game meat over anything farm raised..and I grew up on a farm. Fish, venison, pheasant, and goose makes up the majority of my diet (with small game mixed in along the way depending on which season is open). I don't really have any killer recipes to share (that are healthy anyway..). Most of it gets pan cooked with some spices (garlic, cayenne, or whatever sounds good) with a little olive oil and lime juice. Fish sometimes gets baked or grilled, but mainly pan cooked as well the same way, just with a little different spice combo and lemon juice instead of lime. Birds get grilled as often as I can do it. Pecan wood fire and brushed with a glaze that is a little honey mixed with orange juice and cayenne pepper, and a slice of jalapeno pepper inside of it. Just make a slit in the meat and push the pepper in. If I'm cheating I'll wrap it in bacon and put a little butter on it, and use some barbeque sauce as glaze.

In the winter time when I run a trap line I make a lot of chili too. Critters that most people wouldn't think to eat (like beaver and muskrat) make excellent, lean chili. I grind all my own meat and don't add filler (most people mix pork with game meat during the grinding process). A couple cans of stewed tomatoes, a little chopped yellow onion and diced garlic, and some cumin and chili powder is about all you need. I make big batches that I can eat on for about a week before making more. Reheated after about the 3rd day is when it tastes it's best.

Also working on trying to perfect growing yams and a handful of other stuff to supplement what I buy. I don't think it's realistic to expect to grow everything I eat. I don't have the time or space for a project like that, but every little bit helps. My family has lived off the land for as many generations as anyone can remember. I suppose it's a little ironic, in more than one way being an Animal not only training, but also in the spirit of the hunt. Hope this helps you out bro.

Korsair1
08-28-11, 11:39 pm
I realize this thread is a little old, but in all fairness I've been gone for quite a while too.

For the past couple years that's where the majority of my meat comes from. Venison, pheasant, quail, fish, rabbit, squirrel.. I've always been a hunter/fisherman/trapper; was raised that way, but it wasn't until a couple years ago that I limited out on deer for the first time during, and as a result I didn't have to buy beef for almost a year. I couldn't, actually..there wasn't room in the freezer for any. I don't really know how to explain it other than after a month or so of eating deer meat in place of beef I just plain felt better. Healthier, I guess you could say. May be all in my head. I also like the taste of game meat over anything farm raised..and I grew up on a farm. Fish, venison, pheasant, and goose makes up the majority of my diet (with small game mixed in along the way depending on which season is open). I don't really have any killer recipes to share (that are healthy anyway..). Most of it gets pan cooked with some spices (garlic, cayenne, or whatever sounds good) with a little olive oil and lime juice. Fish sometimes gets baked or grilled, but mainly pan cooked as well the same way, just with a little different spice combo and lemon juice instead of lime. Birds get grilled as often as I can do it. Pecan wood fire and brushed with a glaze that is a little honey mixed with orange juice and cayenne pepper, and a slice of jalapeno pepper inside of it. Just make a slit in the meat and push the pepper in. If I'm cheating I'll wrap it in bacon and put a little butter on it, and use some barbeque sauce as glaze.

In the winter time when I run a trap line I make a lot of chili too. Critters that most people wouldn't think to eat (like beaver and muskrat) make excellent, lean chili. I grind all my own meat and don't add filler (most people mix pork with game meat during the grinding process). A couple cans of stewed tomatoes, a little chopped yellow onion and diced garlic, and some cumin and chili powder is about all you need. I make big batches that I can eat on for about a week before making more. Reheated after about the 3rd day is when it tastes it's best.

Also working on trying to perfect growing yams and a handful of other stuff to supplement what I buy. I don't think it's realistic to expect to grow everything I eat. I don't have the time or space for a project like that, but every little bit helps. My family has lived off the land for as many generations as anyone can remember. I suppose it's a little ironic, in more than one way being an Animal not only training, but also in the spirit of the hunt. Hope this helps you out bro.

It's always good to know there still are other outdoorsmen out there! Up until the last couple of years, due to schedule of life, I maintained a pretty steady diet of venison, waterfowl, upland birds, wild turkey, and fish(w/ some froglegs during the summer season). The gardens took a hard hit from the 20+ consecutive days of 100+ degree heat this year but things are looking up for being able to stock the freezer with game this fall and winter. I may try some ruddertail stew if I catch any, I don't generally set for 'rats. Mister Flattail makes for some good eats...

Knife
08-29-11, 2:58 am
It's always good to know there still are other outdoorsmen out there! Up until the last couple of years, due to schedule of life, I maintained a pretty steady diet of venison, waterfowl, upland birds, wild turkey, and fish(w/ some froglegs during the summer season). The gardens took a hard hit from the 20+ consecutive days of 100+ degree heat this year but things are looking up for being able to stock the freezer with game this fall and winter. I may try some ruddertail stew if I catch any, I don't generally set for 'rats. Mister Flattail makes for some good eats...

Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes. I know this first hand. The gardens looks a hit here too with the heat, had to uproot a lot and bring it inside in buckets to keep'em alive. Busted my yields pretty good. A few pepper plants were all that made it outside. Good luck when the season gets here. Upland and migratory birds beat yard birds any day in my opinion. As for a little flattail, you are right. Good eating, and the tail meat makes for an energy boost on a cold night like nothing I've ever found.

C.Coronato
08-30-11, 2:34 pm
Thats very cool knife. Where are you from?

Knife
09-11-11, 2:47 pm
Thats very cool knife. Where are you from?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in Kansas, bud. It's a good place to be if you're an outdoorsman. Decent gyms are scarce in my neck of the woods though. The past couple years I've changed my workouts to include more functional lifting I can do at my place as a result. It works well for me.