PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore leg training ideas

Carrnage
06-25-11, 9:48 pm
Gimme some!!!!

Shorts
06-25-11, 9:57 pm
Squat 3x5 and In between Sets Box Jumps with One Minute Rests After Each Cycle, Then Sprint on a treadmill for 30 Seconds at a highspeed and Jog 15 Seconds, do 4 intervals? Tabatas? I think they're called?

Shorts
06-25-11, 9:58 pm
Btw I Will be PM'ing you shortly regarding some advise!

BarbellManiac
06-25-11, 10:21 pm
Do 4 drop sets of front or back squats, go to failure on the first three sets (or all if you can) and complete failure with forced reps on the last set. Do the same with stiff deads and you'll be seeing stars inside the gym. Or if you prefer traditional straight sets, do 5 sets of heavy squats to failure and 5 sets of heavy stiff deads to failure. Other exercises like ham curls or leg press can still be used, but squats and stiff deads are oldschool and work wonders on your legs.

Jzepp
06-25-11, 10:41 pm
Do 4 drop sets of front or back squats, go to failure on the first three sets (or all if you can) and complete failure with forced reps on the last set. Do the same with stiff deads and you'll be seeing stars inside the gym. Or if you prefer traditional straight sets, do 5 sets of heavy squats to failure and 5 sets of heavy stiff deads to failure. Other exercises like ham curls or leg press can still be used, but squats and stiff deads are oldschool and work wonders on your legs.

I wish squats would work on my legs. My legs never grow from squats.

Carrnage
06-26-11, 1:12 am
I wish squats would work on my legs. My legs never grow from squats.

We are in the same boat! Barbell squats developed my hip flexors, glutes, hams, but i could never put the tension on the quads. Actually i take that back! Years ago i put plates underneath my heel, and that put tension on the quads, but also a whole lot of tension on the knees, which screwed up me good. Ive had elite powerlifters attempt to fix my squat form through body mechanic exercises and so on...no luck. But i aint complaning, once i switched to hack squats my quads starting growing like weeds!

Alright you guys got some pretty mean ideas. Barbellmaniac's idea is really turning me on!

Lets see if someone can top this!

leg extensions 5x20 (20 sec rest periods)
hack squats pyramid up to heaviest set, then a triple drop set
leg press 1 set to failure around 12 reps....rest for 15 secs....do another 6....rest for another 20 secs....bang out 3!
barbell squats or front squats 2-3 sets of Brutal 20 rep, basically what you saw in the Seth feroce video
leg extensions 3x30 superset bodyweight lunges 3x what ever you can get....at this point prolly 5-7 reps each leg lol

Hams and calves i typically do on a different day, but i need ideas for that to, just wanna see what you guys are made of!

More!

Gimme more!

Thanks for the inputs fellas!

Sinister_TES
06-26-11, 8:54 am
Legg extensions: 3 sets using the 10,10, 2, 20 method (start with about 40 pounds and do ten reps, quickley move the pin to say 120, do ten reps, move the pin up to 180 and do 2 reps, then moves the pin back to 40 and bang out twenty reps.

Leg curls: 3 sets using 10,10, 2, 20

Legg press with a a true 3 second decent on every rep: 4x12-15 (no locking out)

Hack squats: 3 sets of 20-25 (same weight each set, if you have a training partner do the "you go, i go" method for your rest, if not, you get 45 seconds. Keep constant tension, so no locking out)

Squats 3 sets of 20 with 225, again using constant tension

for calves do 3 sets of standing calf raises 10 reps. Each rep will have a 10 second stretch and a ten second contraction.

I did a routine like this once about a year ago just messing around, had to go outside for 10 minutes after the hacks just to be able to breath haha. Have fun :)

zubda345
06-26-11, 9:42 am
We are in the same boat! Barbell squats developed my hip flexors, glutes, hams, but i could never put the tension on the quads. Actually i take that back! Years ago i put plates underneath my heel, and that put tension on the quads, but also a whole lot of tension on the knees, which screwed up me good. Ive had elite powerlifters attempt to fix my squat form through body mechanic exercises and so on...no luck. But i aint complaning, once i switched to hack squats my quads starting growing like weeds!

Alright you guys got some pretty mean ideas. Barbellmaniac's idea is really turning me on!

Lets see if someone can top this!

leg extensions 5x20 (20 sec rest periods)
hack squats pyramid up to heaviest set, then a triple drop set
leg press 1 set to failure around 12 reps....rest for 15 secs....do another 6....rest for another 20 secs....bang out 3!
barbell squats or front squats 2-3 sets of Brutal 20 rep, basically what you saw in the Seth feroce video
leg extensions 3x30 superset bodyweight lunges 3x what ever you can get....at this point prolly 5-7 reps each leg lol

Hams and calves i typically do on a different day, but i need ideas for that to, just wanna see what you guys are made of!

More!

Gimme more!

Thanks for the inputs fellas!

I also feel squats on my hams, but I can make them work for my quads but Ive also tried putting plates under my heels and thats the best Idea I would say.

Oh so here's from me:::
5 sets of leg extensions for 12-18 reps.
3 sets of leg press: 1st for 15-20 reps. 2nd for 30-40 reps. 3rd for 40-50 reps.
Squats (how ever u like em): 4 sets, good amount of reps.
Lying leg curls: 3 sets for 10-25 reps
StiffedLeg Dls: 2 sets for 8-15 reps.

zubda345
06-26-11, 9:43 am
N I think for Squats, I, U, and everyone else should read this :
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=18
I Havent read It, but soon will

Cellardweller
06-26-11, 11:42 am
Do 5x5 on leg press heavy as you can, hit squats also 5x5, then hack squats. Your inner quads will hate you. For desert you can do your drop sets on leg curls and leg extensions.

SuperFlexSteve
06-26-11, 12:22 pm

Pretty good read! I'll be following this thread, I really need to step up my leg sessions.

Jzepp
06-26-11, 5:38 pm

For squats, do any of you flex your quads hard at the top without locking out and then continue down in constant fashion? Or do you just squat up, take a pause and do another rep, take a pause and so on? Is one actually better than the other for quad growth or does it even matter?

Carrnage
06-27-11, 12:24 am
For squats, do any of you flex your quads hard at the top without locking out and then continue down in constant fashion? Or do you just squat up, take a pause and do another rep, take a pause and so on? Is one actually better than the other for quad growth or does it even matter?

Having the muscle in constant tension by not locking out without the squeeze will make the muscle grow bigger. Squeezing the muscle wont do you much but put blood flow in the muscle, muscles grow bigger by pounding that "stretched position" on the bottom of the rep.

BarbellManiac
06-27-11, 12:26 am
Having the muscle in constant tension by not locking out without the squeeze will make the muscle grow bigger. Squeezing the muscle wont do you much but put blood flow in the muscle, muscles grow bigger by pounding that "stretched position" on the bottom of the rep.

I stopped locking out and found better growth in quads during squats. Just lock out to take a breathe if your going to complete failure.

Jzepp
06-27-11, 12:36 am
I stopped locking out and found better growth in quads during squats. Just lock out to take a breathe if your going to complete failure.

Could be one reason i cant get my legs to grow from squats. I seem to lockout with every rep...resting at the top. And not and try to argue, but i thought squeezing the muscle at the top was just as important for growth as in the negative. Example: bench press, calf raiises. I do a hard contraction at the top of all my movements to feel the muscle working..wouldnt this be important to do with Squats at the top?

zubda345
06-27-11, 1:47 am
Could be one reason i cant get my legs to grow from squats. I seem to lockout with every rep...resting at the top. And not and try to argue, but i thought squeezing the muscle at the top was just as important for growth as in the negative. Example: bench press, calf raiises. I do a hard contraction at the top of all my movements to feel the muscle working..wouldnt this be important to do with Squats at the top?

Don't lock then. And if u also lockout on bench u prolly would also b stretching ur arms at the top, don't do that. that'll put up tension on ur elbows, If u don't know what I am taking about, visit my Utube channel there'll b a video of me doing dumbbell presses, check put how I stretch my arms, don't do that. I used to do the same but after some ppl's advises I don't do that now and it's good., just stay away from the lockdown.

And for the squeeze, it's great for pump, but don't squeeze on exercises like, legpress, squats, bench... Squeeze on Barbell curls, rows, pulldowns... etc.

GUNS
06-27-11, 2:52 am

Yeah, Tom Platz had shitty legs. He was always full depth, full lockout, with a big squeeze. Didn't work out very well for him! LOL!

fawaz
06-27-11, 2:59 am
leg extension 3 warmup sets 3 working sets 2nd set double drop third set triple drop set

leg press 3 sets 2nd set double drop third set triple drop. smith machine sqaut 3 sets 2nd set double drop third set triple drop lunges 3 sets 2nd set double drop 3rd set triple drop stif leg deadlift 3 sets hyperextensions 4 sets 30 reps seated leg curl 4 sets 3rd set double drop 4rth set tripel drop

MRmichael.hooker
06-27-11, 6:01 am
Heres 3:

GIANT SET
Leg Press - 85 reps
Leg Extensions- Triple Drop
Front Squats- 25 reps
DB Squats- 20 reps
Sissy Squats- Failure
No rest between exercises, Rest between entire rotation 1-2 mins, Repeat x 2.
Calves: seated, 20x20
----------
Tom Platz squats- 20x20
----------
Front Squats- 5 x 25-8
Squats- 5 x 15
Hack- 4 x 15
Leg Press- 5 x 50-15
Leg Extensions- 1 x 100 (drop until you reach 100)
Standing 1legged curls -superset- lying hammy curls: 3 x 20
Stiffs: 2 x 15

zubda345
06-27-11, 6:06 am
Heres 3:

GIANT SET
Leg Press - 85 reps
Leg Extensions- Triple Drop
Front Squats- 25 reps
DB Squats- 20 reps
Sissy Squats- Failure
No rest between exercises, Rest between entire rotation 1-2 mins, Repeat x 2.
Calves: seated, 20x20
----------
Tom Platz squats- 20x20
----------
Front Squats- 5 x 25-8
Squats- 5 x 15
Hack- 4 x 15
Leg Press- 5 x 50-15
Leg Extensions- 1 x 100 (drop until you reach 100)
Standing 1legged curls -superset- lying hammy curls: 3 x 20
Stiffs: 2 x 15

Nice. But it's too bad that there's no air in the gym in which I got so it's hard to do a workout like this... too damn heat and suffocation...

MRmichael.hooker
06-27-11, 6:08 am
Nice. But it's too bad that there's no air in the gym in which I got so it's hard to do a workout like this... too damn heat and suffocation...

Too damn heat??? I did routines like this all the time in Iraq.. 130-140 on a daily basis, and no a/c in the gym either.

GUNS
06-27-11, 6:58 am
Too damn heat??? I did routines like this all the time in Iraq.. 130-140 on a daily basis, and no a/c in the gym either.

Me too!

zubda345
06-27-11, 8:22 am

Here in the gym it's also 130-140 F. Not only heat bro. Suffocation and no oxygen. It's hard to breath there... But still I give it all i've got....

zubda345
06-27-11, 8:23 am

Me too!

Both of u were soldering in Iraq??

MRmichael.hooker
06-27-11, 8:24 am
i was deployed 14 months, not sure exactly how long GUNS has been overseas, as hes been on a few deployments, but his current one is a year and a half so far

GUNS
06-27-11, 8:34 am
Iraq 4 months
Afg 6 months
Afg 8 months
Guam 7 months
Guam 7 months
Pohnpei 8 1/2 months
Puerto Rico 7 months
Scotland 7 months
Spain 4 months
Sicily 7 months
Bahrain currently 6 months and counting to a possible 2 years.

Just to name a few.

Lunchead
06-27-11, 9:32 am
20 rep squats are killer and simple too

Aggression
06-27-11, 9:34 am
I forget who originally mentioned this leg day idea. It MAY have been The House. I've done it a few times when I'm just looking for something different in the gym. Its a quick workout but leaves you a temporary paraplegic.

Leg Press:
1ppsx10
2ppx20
3ppsx30
4ppsx40
10ppsx100 reps

Obviously no one has gotten to 10ppsx100 reps, but the idea is to get up as far as you can and then go back down. I've made it to 5ppsx30-something. Then fight your way back down, resting in between sets, until you're at 1ppsx10. Its a quick workout but its a nice change of pace.

MRmichael.hooker
06-27-11, 9:52 am
I forget who originally mentioned this leg day idea. It MAY have been The House. I've done it a few times when I'm just looking for something different in the gym. Its a quick workout but leaves you a temporary paraplegic.

Leg Press:
1ppsx10
2ppx20
3ppsx30
4ppsx40
10ppsx100 reps

Obviously no one has gotten to 10ppsx100 reps, but the idea is to get up as far as you can and then go back down. I've made it to 5ppsx30-something. Then fight your way back down, resting in between sets, until you're at 1ppsx10. Its a quick workout but its a nice change of pace.

Centuries. Phenominal workout

zubda345
06-27-11, 11:33 am
Iraq 4 months
Afg 6 months
Afg 8 months
Guam 7 months
Guam 7 months
Pohnpei 8 1/2 months
Puerto Rico 7 months
Scotland 7 months
Spain 4 months
Sicily 7 months
Bahrain currently 6 months and counting to a possible 2 years.

Just to name a few.

Damn that's alot!

Cellardweller
06-27-11, 12:40 pm

Leg Press:
1ppsx10
2ppx20
3ppsx30
4ppsx40
10ppsx100 reps

That's psychotic, brutal and I can imagine the pain. I'm doing this next week.

MRmichael.hooker
06-27-11, 12:42 pm
That's psychotic, brutal and I can imagine the pain. I'm doing this next week.

i remember house said he's seen 7x70.. thats a whole new level of pain i havent felt

Sprint
06-27-11, 7:42 pm
In for some other gems that will undoubtedly get thrown in here.

Damn I clean forgot about centuries, They're getting it next leg session, shit I wish I'd read this thread a couple days ago, no legs for me until after Sunday, big athletics comp looming.

What's the rest times up and down on the centuries?

Sinister_TES
06-27-11, 7:51 pm
In for some other gems that will undoubtedly get thrown in here.

Damn I clean forgot about centuries, They're getting it next leg session, shit I wish I'd read this thread a couple days ago, no legs for me until after Sunday, big athletics comp looming.

What's the rest times up and down on the centuries?

When I first saw centuries it was explained to me like this. say your goal is 100 reps. say you do 55 reps and cant get anymore. so now you rest 45 seconds (100-55=45) then you get say 17 more then rest 28 seconds (100-55-17=28) and so on until you reach 100 reps

MRmichael.hooker
06-28-11, 5:39 am
When I first saw centuries it was explained to me like this. say your goal is 100 reps. say you do 55 reps and cant get anymore. so now you rest 45 seconds (100-55=45) then you get say 17 more then rest 28 seconds (100-55-17=28) and so on until you reach 100 reps

not being rude, promise, but isnt that just rest-pause? Centuries is a workout House talks about, where like Aggression said, you start out with 1pps x 10 reps. Rest is around 60secs, then 2ppsx20. rest, 3ppsx30, 4x40, 5x50, etc etc until you cant hit the next rotation. It was in a MD a few years back. If you want the complete workout, ill post it for ya. He had a 3week leg routine that i copied out of that MD

GUNS
06-28-11, 6:19 am
Hooker, I would love to see that!

MRmichael.hooker
06-28-11, 6:23 am
Hooker, I would love to see that!

Here ya go. I had this MD in 09, so this is probably anywhere from End of 08 - Early 09:

Erik Fankhouser
Leg routines
WORKOUT #1 (HEAVY) 90 seconds rest
Squats- 10,8,8,6,10 (working sets)
Lying leg curls- 10,8,8,6,10
Barbell lunges- 10,8,8,6,10
Leg Extensions- 10,8,8,6,10
Straight leg Deadlifts- 10,8,8,6,10
Calf raises- (on leg press) 50 straight, 50 toes in, 50 toes out, 50 straight

WORKOUT #2 (Pre-Exhaust) 90 seconds rest
Leg curls- 2 sets for warm-ups
Leg curls- 4 x failure
Leg extensions- 4 x failure
DB Lunges- 4 x failure
Straight leg Deadlifts- 4 x failure
Front Squats- 4 x failure
Standing calf raises w/ barbell- 4 x failure

WORKOUT #3 -- 60 seconds rest
Centuries Leg press- as far as possible***
Leg Extension- 12,15,15,12
DB Step-ups- 10,12,12,10
Leg Curls- 12,15,15,12
Glute-Ham machine- 3 x failure
Seated calf raises- 4 x failure
***1st set= 1- 45lb plate on each side & 10 reps / 2-45lb plates on each side & 20 reps / 3-45lb plates on each side & 30 reps, continued to failure

GUNS
06-28-11, 6:43 am
Thanks, I will have to try some of this out.

Sprint
06-28-11, 7:35 am

That does sound a bit like rest-pause, only with some numbers to focus on, which sounds good.Typically my rest-pause involves repping to failure, resting 2 or 3 secs, repping to failure again (which is usually a couple of reps) & so on for 3 or 4 'mini-sets' of a couple of reps.

not being rude, promise, but isnt that just rest-pause? Centuries is a workout House talks about, where like Aggression said, you start out with 1pps x 10 reps. Rest is around 60secs, then 2ppsx20. rest, 3ppsx30, 4x40, 5x50, etc etc until you cant hit the next rotation. It was in a MD a few years back. If you want the complete workout, ill post it for ya. He had a 3week leg routine that i copied out of that MD

That's how I read about centuries a while ago now. Then totally forgot to give it a whirl :(

Both of these are going in the arsenal.

Sinister_TES
06-28-11, 9:28 am

Rest pause usually has a pre determined number or rest periods and is for lower reps where as the amount if rest epriods is un predictable. the technique I suggest is probably called something different and i confused its name with centuries haha. I am trying to find where i read it but i have so many magazines and books its taking forever. Either way both techniqies are intense thats for sure.

LegendKillerJosh
06-28-11, 4:46 pm
I've recently switched gyms to a place with a lot of strongman equipment and very shortly revolutionized my training. I think strongman is actually more similar to bodybuilding than powerlifting. Strongmen need big muscles with a lot of endurance in addition to power. Most of the events are not for max weight, but are for distance, time, reps and speed. Adding things like the super yoke, tire flip or farmers walk to your leg training can be really beneficial, it has for me. The tire flip especially has increased my explosiveness for deadlifts and squats - and bigger squats = bigger legs.

Carrnage
06-28-11, 8:15 pm
I've recently switched gyms to a place with a lot of strongman equipment and very shortly revolutionized my training. I think strongman is actually more similar to bodybuilding than powerlifting. Strongmen need big muscles with a lot of endurance in addition to power. Most of the events are not for max weight, but are for distance, time, reps and speed. Adding things like the super yoke, tire flip or farmers walk to your leg training can be really beneficial, it has for me. The tire flip especially has increased my explosiveness for deadlifts and squats - and bigger squats = bigger legs.

Your WRONG! Bigger leg extensions = bigger legs!!!! mwhahah jkjkjkjk

Damn i wish my gym had strongman equipment, i really wanna give those a try!

prowrestler
06-29-11, 12:35 pm
Your WRONG! Bigger leg extensions = bigger legs!!!! mwhahah jkjkjkjk

Damn i wish my gym had strongman equipment, i really wanna give those a try!

u can get tires for free and turn a bar into a fat bar with either fat grips or a towel. that turns many exercises into strong man type events. example, circus db press

Cellardweller
07-03-11, 2:55 pm
Alright I did the "centuries" leg press today. I thought I'd fail during the 5pps set but failed at 4pps. Disappointing, but I give myself man points for even trying. Anyone else give it a go? It's been a week, someone else had to.

MRmichael.hooker
07-05-11, 5:53 am
Alright I did the "centuries" leg press today. I thought I'd fail during the 5pps set but failed at 4pps. Disappointing, but I give myself man points for even trying. Anyone else give it a go? It's been a week, someone else had to.

last time i did centuries, my hamstring tore lol. takin a while off from centuries

Sprint
07-05-11, 8:38 am
Well there were going to be centuries for me this week, but 1 of my fellow PT's has managed to prove what a lot of people think...that PT's are complete muppets who shouldn't be allowed in the gym. He slammed the leg press plate down so hard that 1 of the safety pins sheared off. More to the point, he seemed proud of it when he 'boasted' to me.

I told him I wasn't impressed, & let him know what I thought of him.

So no centuries until my gym gets their notoriously slow backsides into gear and gets it sorted (It's still usable, but health & safety have deemed the equipment to be unsafe).

chrisco915
07-05-11, 8:48 am
Loving this......

Squats: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
Leg Curls, Seated: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
Hack Squats: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
Standing Leg Curls: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
Leg Extensions: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
Leg Press, Calves: 4 Sets x 50 Reps

D-NUTZ
07-05-11, 8:52 am
Mike Francois put me through this one a while back...

1)Leg Extensions (Warm Up) 4 sets of 20

2)Lying Leg Curls 4 sets of 12

3) Leg Press (With feet high and wide and angled like so \ / ) 4 sets of 20
*SUPER SET*
Back Squats 4 sets of 20
-Rest is 30 seconds or less between each round of 20.

4) Dumbbell SLDL 3 sets of 8-12
*SUPER SET*
Leg Press (Low and close foot placement) 3 sets of 10-15

5) Leg Extensions 3 sets of 12-15

6) Standing Calf Raises 4 sets of 50

7) Puke 1 set

Sprint
07-05-11, 9:58 am
Mike Francois put me through this one a while back...

1)Leg Extensions (Warm Up) 4 sets of 20

2)Lying Leg Curls 4 sets of 12

3) Leg Press (With feet high and wide and angled like so \ / ) 4 sets of 20
*SUPER SET*
Back Squats 4 sets of 20
-Rest is 30 seconds or less between each round of 20.

4) Dumbbell SLDL 3 sets of 8-12
*SUPER SET*
Leg Press (Low and close foot placement) 3 sets of 10-15

5) Leg Extensions 3 sets of 12-15

6) Standing Calf Raises 4 sets of 50

7) Puke 1 set

Personally I think I'd like to throw in just a bit more volume to that, and have 2 sets of puking.

mm_tris
07-05-11, 11:23 am
I can't remember where I read this but credits its source...

CIRCLE OF DEATH:

5pps Leg Press x 20
2pps Hack Squat x 20
50lbs Leg Extensions x 20

4 rounds.

jeff00z28
07-08-11, 5:47 pm
i start out with 405 and bang out 10-12 reps then strip off a plate till im at 135. Sets of leg press for 15-20 reps. leg ext and leg curl, finish off with stiff legs at the end

The House
07-10-11, 8:04 pm
squats with good form are the best squat till you puke