PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Rep and Set ranges

AceKombat
06-27-11, 10:25 pm
Hey bros- well lately i've been so pumped on my training (thank God for that...) that i found 4 sets of about 10-12 reps a bit too little. I go thru those on medium-heavy to heavy and once rested I feel i could go again some more. But i kno hitting too much reps may not be good for building solid slabs of muscle- hence my predicament- What usually are a good rep+set range, an average then, since for many persons it varies. thanks bros.! lift heavy!

kind regards

zubda345
06-28-11, 12:21 pm
U know if u take too much rest between sets u might feel 10-12 reps little low but if u train intense, 10-12 might b more than enough for u...

For me 12-20 reps are good. U can try aiming for 15-25 reps and see how u feel then. keep the rest period low in the sets bro. Keep it hard.

zubda345
06-28-11, 12:31 pm
another thing, keep a full range of motion, there is a guy who used to lift heavy weight (heavy for him) for a number of reps and for 3-4 sets, but when he started takin low rest periods he came to know that takin low rest period will only allow him do low reps with max intensity (which feels ALOT better and worthy) and now he does 10-15 reps on may exercises (not all), that's optimal for him...

PS --- That guy is ME.

Sean_Warrior
06-28-11, 1:22 pm
Dont listen to the nonesence. This rep scheme does this these reps do that man, If you can do more do more. Or pick up a heavier weight!

I do 6-8 some days and 10-15 others. Just do what you feel that day. If you feel like doin 50 do it. Just make sure your diets good afterwards to make it worth it.

Aggression
06-28-11, 1:23 pm
No such thing.

Everyone is different. Everyone will respond to different stimulu. Most articles, magazines, etc., say that you want to stick between 8-12 for muscle growth. Some go as low as 6 reps. They say strength is better in the area of 3-5 reps. In the end, you have to figure out what works for YOU. As far as sets go, that will differ just as much as reps do. For example, I spent years doing anywhere from 9-15 sets for biceps. Since October, I've been doing maybe 5-6 sets per week and they've grown much so than when I was hitting 'em for 9-15.

zubda345
06-28-11, 2:20 pm
Dont listen to the nonesence. This rep scheme does this these reps do that man, If you can do more do more. Or pick up a heavier weight!

I do 6-8 some days and 10-15 others. Just do what you feel that day. If you feel like doin 50 do it. Just make sure your diets good afterwards to make it worth it.

Yeah, pick up a barbell with no weights on it and do 50 reps with shitty form and take 5 mins rest between sets, U will do great!

BarbellManiac
06-28-11, 2:23 pm
Yeah, pick up a barbell with no weights on it and do 50 reps with shitty form and take 5 mins rest between sets, U will do great!

50 reps is a lot, even if your using that as an example. Not much fiber overload with that.

dannynb
06-28-11, 2:32 pm
Everybody is different. Some say 2 sets, some say 3, some say 4, hell I know guys that do 6-7 sets per body parts. As for reps, some go between 3-6, some 6-12, some 10-25.....I say play with it until you find your sweet spot. Me all depends on my current goals. I usually switch things up when my body feels the need for a change.

Aggression
06-28-11, 2:52 pm

I've done something like this. I'd crush biceps and then as a final finisher, I'd grab a barbell with no weight and rep out until I couldn't rep anymore. Nothing wrong with that.

zubda345
06-28-11, 2:54 pm
50 reps is a lot, even if your using that as an example. Not much fiber overload with that.

I am not usin it as an example but I am just puttin his example to his face...

I agree everyone is different and different rep ranges will suit different ppl, but cmon, if he thinks 10-12 is les for him, he should 1st of all check his form and then increase the rep to 12-20 and see how it goes...

zubda345
06-28-11, 2:56 pm
I've done something like this. I'd crush biceps and then as a final finisher, I'd grab a barbell with no weight and rep out until I couldn't rep anymore. Nothing wrong with that.

I have also done curls for biceps to failure with no weight but I meant something else on that post

Aggression
06-28-11, 2:56 pm

You have a great point, Sean. Too many people get caught up in a number. They'll stop at 10 just because they think they need to. In reality, they could have gotten 20 reps. Don't stop at a number of reps just b/c some program or magazine article says to stop there. Push yourself hard. If you reach 20 reps with ease, throw on another 20lbs to the bar and bang 'em out.

Nothing wrong with doing a set of 50 here and there to shake things up.

Carrnage
06-28-11, 3:57 pm
For me i feel this suits me

Chest- 6-8 reps
Back- 6-8 reps (any higher forearms take over)
Quads- 10-20 reps
Calves- 10-15 reps
Hams- 10-12 reps
Delts- 12-30 reps
Triceps- 8-10 reps
Biceps- 12-15 reps

Sets(volume) is determined on recovery level. If everything in my current settings are good (sleep,nutrition,stress,hormone levels up) then i reap the benefits of higher amounts of volume. (15-25 sets)

Aggression
06-28-11, 3:59 pm
For me i feel this suits me

Chest- 6-8 reps
Back- 6-8 reps (any higher forearms take over)
Quads- 10-20 reps
Calves- 10-15 reps
Hams- 10-12 reps
Delts- 12-30 reps
Triceps- 8-10 reps
Biceps- 12-15 reps

Sets(volume) is determined on recovery level. If everything in my current settings are good (sleep,nutrition,stress,hormone levels up) then i reap the benefits of higher amounts of volume. (15-25 sets)

The most important part of your post has been bolded. Its what works for you. This sport is all trial-and-error. Find out what works/doesn't work is what its all about. When I was bodybuilding, I also tended to stick to higher reps on legs. Leg presses were never really below 15 reps. Squats were low, but everything else was 15-20. Everyone has to find their rhythm

AceKombat
06-28-11, 10:57 pm
hey bros, well the reason i sat thinking about the rep ranges is that i start out on medium heavy weights and then increase to a threshold that i can do comfortably at the point in time with good form and technique.biceps for example i start out with a 30 pound barbell and work that for 20 reps over 2 sets. then put it down and pick up the 50 pound and hit that for 2 sets of 10 with about 1 min. rest between. then i'd use the machine and work at the max weight that i can do at this point until i feel like crashing but usually happens at 9-10 reps with about 2 mins. rest between another 1 or 2 set. Same principles apply with the muscle group workouts, just with different calibres of weights. I try to end with the heaviest i can go at that point. but start with a comfortable but not light weight- something to start the workout that gives a tight pump. i dunno- i try not to think 2 much about numbers but there are times when i'm in a hurry and have like 1 hour gym time. and i like to maximize my workouts as best as possible.

Jzepp
06-29-11, 2:45 am
Lol. I still haven't found my optimum rep range even with years of training. I do high reps or low reps or medium reps...growth isn't any more significant at any of these rep ranges.

GUNS
06-29-11, 4:02 am
hey bros, well the reason i sat thinking about the rep ranges is that i start out on medium heavy weights and then increase to a threshold that i can do comfortably at the point in time with good form and technique.biceps for example i start out with a 30 pound barbell and work that for 20 reps over 2 sets. then put it down and pick up the 50 pound and hit that for 2 sets of 10 with about 1 min. rest between. then i'd use the machine and work at the max weight that i can do at this point until i feel like crashing but usually happens at 9-10 reps with about 2 mins. rest between another 1 or 2 set. Same principles apply with the muscle group workouts, just with different calibres of weights. I try to end with the heaviest i can go at that point. but start with a comfortable but not light weight- something to start the workout that gives a tight pump. i dunno- i try not to think 2 much about numbers but there are times when i'm in a hurry and have like 1 hour gym time. and i like to maximize my workouts as best as possible.

I'd say get yourself a couple good warmup sets. If that means 2 sets of 15 20 with some light weight, so be it. But your next set should be all out intensity, max weight aimed at 8-12. if you get to 13-15 reps, your not heavy enough. If you are only hitting 3-5, your too heavy, you should be failing on these intense sets. But don't over think it.

Oz_78
06-29-11, 4:29 am
As its been said, play around with your rep ranges to see what works for you. Like so many others, I went by the textbook "3 sets, 10-12 reps per set" initially and while it's a good starting point, change it up and see how it pans out.

Polk17
06-30-11, 3:38 pm
I once read somewhere where a Pro BB'er said that your muscle doesn't know if you did 8 reps or 20, with 100 pounds or 500... It just knows if it were taken to failure, or had a lot of blood and nutrients pumped in there... A lot of BB'ers will tell you that they don't even count reps, because it is a mind game... If you are shooting for 8 when you hit 6-7 you get fatigued because you think you should... So they unrack and go til they are done, then have someone tell them what they did... A lot of good info here in these posts, I'd say more than anything don't let a rep range tell you when you're done, or tired... Let your muscles... And pay attention to how you respond...

Now if you wanted to be a PL, that would change a little bit, because they have to learn how to strain and move maximal weights, which obviously changes things around a bit...

chrisco915
06-30-11, 3:46 pm
Variation is the spice of GROWTH. Mix it up.....HIT with the Drop Set and Rest/Pause techniques.....FST-7 workouts.....or mix it up in the same workout.....One exercise with 6-8 reps....the next 1 or 2 exercises at 10-12 and finish up with an exercise of 20 or more reps each set. Keeping a variety will not only increase the shock to your muscles but will keep things more interesting and fresh.

Sprint
06-30-11, 5:38 pm

I once read somewhere where a Pro BB'er said that your muscle doesn't know if you did 8 reps or 20, with 100 pounds or 500... It just knows if it were taken to failure, or had a lot of blood and nutrients pumped in there... A lot of BB'ers will tell you that they don't even count reps, because it is a mind game... If you are shooting for 8 when you hit 6-7 you get fatigued because you think you should... So they unrack and go til they are done, then have someone tell them what they did... A lot of good info here in these posts, I'd say more than anything don't let a rep range tell you when you're done, or tired... Let your muscles... And pay attention to how you respond...

Now if you wanted to be a PL, that would change a little bit, because they have to learn how to strain and move maximal weights, which obviously changes things around a bit...

Both of these. Have a go at Bam's bicep finisher where you take a naked O-Bar and pump out 100reps in as many sets as it takes, but as few sets as possible.

Done the same for Tricep Pressdowns. These 2 examples, and 21s are the only times I rep to a specific number. Everything else is ball park, 6-10 for example.

AceKombat
07-01-11, 10:22 pm
hey bros, u guys really give a good insight into the sets and reps. Well tonight was shoulder/traps/lats. I did about 4 sets 13 reps for each of the exercises. I kinda dont like the counting and "locked in" feeling that doing specific sets and reps create but i kept with it. the changing up reps and sets sounds pretty good, i used to do that but then i began thinking what if i did too little or not heavy enough. but i think its way more fun to have an idea of the total number of sets to do for a muscle group but change up the reps and pump it until the muscle feels well "well worked and tired." I also decide to use some heavy weights, push it as much as i can go at this point.

AceKombat
07-01-11, 10:26 pm
by the way, my goal is bodybuilding :D

never_2_big
07-02-11, 4:51 am
I read a post a few years ago now by Vinny G, he made the clear and statement that the training protocols that work the best are the ones you're not doing... What he meant was that in order to produce the greatest amount of growth potential you have to keep putting your muscle through new/different methods of stress.

Change shit up, keep things fresh and no matter how many reps you do for how many sets you should see results!

zachlloyd
07-02-11, 8:02 pm
In my past my body has responded best when doing upwards of 30 sets per body part with 8-12 reps got upwards of 60-70sets on leg days, was so sore it nearly interfered with daily life, but i grew a ton the year i did that. I was also eating upwards of 5-6k calories and i lost about 6% body fat as well. Of course I was humpin my ruck in the mountains of Afghanistan, prolly helped shed some pounds haha. But seriously, everyone is different, and if you plateu, change it, if your growing, keep hammering it out.