PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the supplement that is all the RAGE

BigChrisF
06-28-11, 6:03 pm
I received a container of Rage powder about 2 months ago while I was preparing for a deadlift only competition that took place this last Sunday. I used it about half a dozen times for heavy training sessions during May and then backed off of it to save it's effects for the meet. I was looking for a supplement to replace the Redbull that I use at meets that gave me the same energizing effect, but without getting the shakes. To that effect, this supplement did that very well.

The flavor: I know some like it, but I have never been a fan of orange supplements. It's a good flavor to use because it is quite robust and will cover the bitterness of some of the ingredients. I played around with how I took it. I mixed it as directed, I used a lot of water and I just put the powder directly in my mouth and washed it down. The latter was my preferred method. It was a little tingly on my tongue, which I suspect is the anhydrous caffeine. Easy enough and it is far from the worst tasting supplement I have ever had.

The mixing: When I did mix the powder, I noticed that I couldn't get all of it to suspend in solution regardless of the volume. I tried up to 16 fl. oz. of cold tap water and still got particulate at the bottom. This gave it a gritty finish, almost like a sand in the bottom and left a residue on the glass. For this I would suggest mixing in a smaller portion of water first and then adding more after to get the rest of the powder out. No sense in leaving any behind.

The timing: I tried various times to take the supplement prior to training ranging from about 45 minutes out to taking it after my first warm-up set. For myself, I found that taking it about 30 minutes prior to my first heavy set was best. I would just start to get the effects when the weight started to get heavy. With my warm-ups, this means I would take the powder right before I started my first set.

The effect: About a half-hour after taking the supplement I would get an over-all energizing effect. I would feel more awake and alert to things happening around me. My body wouldn't feel as fatigued as it had been. (Some days I have to wake up "early" to go to the gym and really drag ass when I get there.) I don't find the feeling to be unmanageable, and like I indicated earlier I wouldn't get an involuntary tremor like when I drink too much of the energy drinks. At the competition this weekend I had quite a long day. I drove 6.5 hours up to Michigan to make the 8 am weigh-ins. Then I competed in the unequipped division in the late morning and after an hour break, I competed in the equipped division in the early afternoon. They kept the flights small, so the pace was a little bit faster than I would have liked, but that happens.

I ended up pulling 678 lbs on my third unequipped attempt here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCEN2jUMsW8

And I pulled 705 lbs on my second equipped attempt here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALLs-4SATE

I should have been good for more on my equipped deadlifts, but by this point I was very fatigued and that pull was a lot harder than it should have been. So I passed on my third attempt. And yes, I know its impossible to not look fat as all holy hell while wearing spandex and having a belt cranked that tight.

All in all, I would say that Rage is a good supplement and if you are going to give it your all, you should give it a try. You won't be disappointed.