PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with injuries

JeremyT
07-04-11, 8:10 pm
Hey bros. Just here to ask you guys how you mentally deal with injuries that you get along the way. Last week I injured my shoulder at work. Was attaching a trailer to a hitch and felt a small pull. There is no pain, but nowy shoulder pops when I lift it laterally, and it feels a bit unstable over my head. I don't know if I tore something or what. I'm going to see my chiro/sports med guy tomorrow.

The main part of this thread is though, I'm going literally battshit insane. My life is lifting. Without it, I have no purpose, no drive, and no motivation. If the guy says I can't lift I dunno what I'm going to do. I always say you gotta put up or shut up. I put 40 pounds on in the past three years, but I'm still a grossly skinny 170 pound bean poll. Just don't know what I'll do if I can't do upper body lifts.

How do you guys deal with injuries, and keep your head on straight even when the gym is stolen from you?

Thanks guys.

Back To Basics
07-05-11, 7:26 am
Hey bros. Just here to ask you guys how you mentally deal with injuries that you get along the way. Last week I injured my shoulder at work. Was attaching a trailer to a hitch and felt a small pull. There is no pain, but nowy shoulder pops when I lift it laterally, and it feels a bit unstable over my head. I don't know if I tore something or what. I'm going to see my chiro/sports med guy tomorrow.

The main part of this thread is though, I'm going literally battshit insane. My life is lifting. Without it, I have no purpose, no drive, and no motivation. If the guy says I can't lift I dunno what I'm going to do. I always say you gotta put up or shut up. I put 40 pounds on in the past three years, but I'm still a grossly skinny 170 pound bean poll. Just don't know what I'll do if I can't do upper body lifts.

How do you guys deal with injuries, and keep your head on straight even when the gym is stolen from you?

Thanks guys.

You gotta keep it together upstairs man, I know that a lot of times it relieves you to hear someone else opinions and recommendations so hope everyone's posts put you a little at ease. Make sure you keep your calories like usual during period and train legs twice a week with high intensity like usual (Hopefully). Take your working sets to failure and just straight up work really hard. If you can go see a experienced chiropractor after an x-ray and let them take a look at it and give you recommendations. Hopefully it's just something minor, I SLIGHTLY moved my neck during bench and my whole left trap tightened up so damn hard I couldn't move my neck; something small can still give you BIG pain.

You WILL get through this bro, and you'll be back before you know it. A lot of members on here know quite a bit of knowledge but we are not doctors and chiro's so let them diagnose you before you proceed with anything.

Good luck.

MRmichael.hooker
07-05-11, 7:40 am
If you can go see a experienced chiropractor after an x-ray and let them take a look at it and give you recommendations.
You WILL get through this bro, and you'll be back before you know it. A lot of members on here know quite a bit of knowledge but we are not doctors and chiro's so let them diagnose you before you proceed with anything.

Good luck.

Some really good info right there. Chrio did wonders for my rotator cuff when i hurt it, and for my hammy tear. IF it is something a little more serious, as much as it sucks, please take the time to let it recover fully so you don’t reinjure or do permanent damage to it. It'll be worth it big time, maybe not right now, but 10 years from now when you can still use your shoulder correctly. But like i said, that’s only IF it is something serious. Could be something tiny, and the pain could be gone in a week. Never know. Just let us know what the doc says. Good luck man

chrisco915
07-05-11, 7:44 am
Firstly...I really hope you can find other things in live to round you out personally...and that lifting isn't all you have. That in itself isn't healthy. Smarts and patience is what I recommend. Smarts.......go get checked out to make sure you haven't done any serious damage and have a better understanding of what needs to be taken care of(like you mentioned doing). Self prognosis and working through serious damage will only prolong the time needed for recovery.
Patience....something in short demand when it comes to gym time. But sometimes you just have to back off and let yourself heal. Stay away from movements that are painful and work on other parts.....legs......back....etc. If you never give yourself time to recover.....you never will......I have injuries that I never let heal properly....and they remain....YEARS later.

JeremyT
07-05-11, 5:22 pm
So I went to my sports med/chiro today. He said that I have a fairly mild sprain and that the weird out of place feeling i have in my shoulder is just that. The muscles around my shoulder all tightened up to protect the joint, and pulled the bone out of alignment within the socket. He worked on releasing all of the muscles around my shoulder joint and in my neck and upper back and (hopefully) has the joint back in the right place. Ten days, and I should be okay and back to lifting, albiet with a light trip back into pressing. I'm going to do some research on shoulder sprain rehab to hopefully heal and strengthen my shoulder on the road to recovery.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I know my head tends to get the best of me a lot of the time.

Back To Basics
07-05-11, 8:53 pm
So I went to my sports med/chiro today. He said that I have a fairly mild sprain and that the weird out of place feeling i have in my shoulder is just that. The muscles around my shoulder all tightened up to protect the joint, and pulled the bone out of alignment within the socket. He worked on releasing all of the muscles around my shoulder joint and in my neck and upper back and (hopefully) has the joint back in the right place. Ten days, and I should be okay and back to lifting, albiet with a light trip back into pressing. I'm going to do some research on shoulder sprain rehab to hopefully heal and strengthen my shoulder on the road to recovery.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I know my head tends to get the best of me a lot of the time.

Yes !

Thats great new bro, I'm happy for you man. Just like mine ha!
Very Very tight muscles can cause CRAZY pain.

Take it easy and let it rest before going to kill it !

korn_fed
07-05-11, 11:14 pm
good to hear that youre feeling better bro.
In regards to how to handle an injury, you just have to remember that youd rather take time off now and let the injury heal itself so you can be 110% than lift through the pain and further damage your shoulder. I recently had ACL/miniscus replacement surgery and i know exactly how you feel. I couldnt even touch a weight for 4-5 weeks straight, I had no appetite because of the pain meds, and I was confined to my couch. I went through the same exact thoughts you went through. But I got great advice from all the bros on the forum, and by the time I was ready to hit the weights again, all the energy and excitement i had built up exploded like a ten ton bomb. I had one of the best workouts I've ever had (even though I only had one useable leg at the time). The bottom line is you have to think about whats best for your body at that point in time. The iron isnt going anywhere, and itll be waiting for you as soon as you recover.

BigAnt
07-07-11, 12:26 am
You have to look at the glass half full..ALWAYS! Trust me!

Yeah when training around an injury or taking off comepletely, it CAN mess up your mind, but don't let it!

After a Dr's evaul. he will shoot it strainght what you can and cannot do...listen to him, he is the professional!

I read books on other injured athelets or just take time on doing things that I have not done while my weight lifting schedule was so tight...(trout fish)