PDA

View Full Version : 5x5 and 8x8

cesmeister
07-07-11, 2:01 pm
So I've decided to try something a little different. Since i started lifting, with the exception of some experimentation with DC training, I was a pyramid set guy. I've made great gains over the years (its been about 7 years now) going from 155lbs to 215lbs, staying pretty lean.

This week i woke up tuesday morning to do back and i thought i would just try something completely different. I combined 5x5 and 8x8 training and wow, i feel as sore as when i first started lifting.

I use the 5x5 sets for larger muscle groups and compound movements and the 8x8 sets for smaller muscle groups and isolation movements. I pick about 2-4 movements per body part to do this. I also only rest 25 seconds between sets. Its a killer workout.

Here's a sample of what i did for chest and bis yesterday:
Incline bench 215 5x5
Hamer strength vertical press 2plates and a 25 on each side 5x5
Bent over cable flyes 60lbs each side 8x8

Hammer strench precaher curls 90lbs 5x5
Incline DB curls 20bls 8x8

My chest and bis are so sore today, I love it, not to mention the workout took less than 45 minutes.

Cellardweller
07-07-11, 2:11 pm
I was a pyramid guy too and Machine turned me on to 5x5. I did 5x5 for my compounds and did 3 sets of 10 for accessory stuff. Great strength gains. I just switched back to doing higher reps to mix it up for a few weeks.

Sean_Warrior
07-14-11, 5:42 am
I was a pyramid guy too and Machine turned me on to 5x5. I did 5x5 for my compounds and did 3 sets of 10 for accessory stuff. Great strength gains. I just switched back to doing higher reps to mix it up for a few weeks.

This is exactly what i do. 5x5 on Compounds then i do 3-4 sets 6-12 reps (by feel) on other exercise. Work like a treat!.

In Flames
07-14-11, 9:44 am
Do you keep your rest periods to 25 seconds as well on the 5x5?