PDA

View Full Version : Ice ice ice

Tiny1102
07-13-11, 9:45 pm
I have never ever been told to use anything but ice on a injury. Recently, I was told to put heat on my shoulder. This goes against every trainers advice I know. Have you or anyone you know ever used heat on a shoulder injury?

Tiny1102
07-13-11, 9:48 pm
If you did, did the heat work?

mritter3
07-13-11, 10:09 pm
im in the medical field...i always use ice first to help keep swelling to a minimum....after 24 hours of ice, heat is great...its increases the blood flow to the shoulder and aids in recovery...i have used it often and yes it does work.

Big C
07-13-11, 10:30 pm
It depends on what stage of healing you are in. If it's acute inflammation (redness, swelling, pain) you should not use a hot pack. An ice pack would be better strapped to your shoulder...but since you are a rather large athlete you could use an ice bag it would be more effective. You could use heat after the inflammation went away. Hope that helps. We use cervical hot packs applied to patient's shoulders and it does help reduce pain...

Tiny1102
07-13-11, 10:35 pm
im in the medical field...i always use ice first to help keep swelling to a minimum....after 24 hours of ice, heat is great...its increases the blood flow to the shoulder and aids in recovery...i have used it often and yes it does work.

With ice, never more than 20 minutes. How long with the heat? I ice every night.

Tiny1102
07-13-11, 10:38 pm
It depends on what stage of healing you are in. If it's acute inflammation (redness, swelling, pain) you should not use a hot pack. An ice pack would be better strapped to your shoulder...but since you are a rather large athlete you could use an ice bag it would be more effective. You could use heat after the inflammation went away. Hope that helps. We use cervical hot packs applied to patient's shoulders and it does help reduce pain...

My issue is very deep. I am dealing with the teres major and minor and the labrum. Right now the teres are causing me the most pain, but I am told it is, because of the labrum injury. When using ice. I will freeze water in a plastic cup and I will massage the ice over the area until it melts. And it does fast.

Big C
07-13-11, 10:45 pm
My issue is very deep. I am dealing with the teres major and minor and the labrum. Right now the teres are causing me the most pain, but I am told it is, because of the labrum injury. When using ice. I will freeze water in a plastic cup and I will massage the ice over the area until it melts. And it does fast.

Heat is usually applied 15-20 minutes with about 5 layers on the shoulder, but maybe you could tolerate less layers. Ice massages are good too like you said, usually 5-7 minutes. Ultrasound is also very effective....but you probably couldn't do that on your own (would have to go to PT but damn does it work). You could lay on a table (face down) and do some external rotation movements to loosen up that teres minor and some shouder extensions to loosen up that teres major...I know you're a big bencher so that may be something to warm up with before training. You could use a light weight in your hand while doing those also.

Use that ice bag 20 minutes on/20 off/20 on/20 off, etc.

dannynb
07-13-11, 11:47 pm
Heat prior to lifting, ice after and on off days ice 20 minutes, heat for 20 minutes and repeat a few times.

BigChrisF
07-14-11, 1:40 am
I try not to use heat on a joint injury because it can make minor bleeding into the joint worse. Other than that, I like to alternate ice and heat in 20 minute cycles. I do this on my shoulders occasionally when they are feeling bad and they haven't blown up yet.

Tiny1102
07-14-11, 12:18 pm
Heat is usually applied 15-20 minutes with about 5 layers on the shoulder, but maybe you could tolerate less layers. Ice massages are good too like you said, usually 5-7 minutes. Ultrasound is also very effective....but you probably couldn't do that on your own (would have to go to PT but damn does it work). You could lay on a table (face down) and do some external rotation movements to loosen up that teres minor and some shouder extensions to loosen up that teres major...I know you're a big bencher so that may be something to warm up with before training. You could use a light weight in your hand while doing those also.

Use that ice bag 20 minutes on/20 off/20 on/20 off, etc.

Been doing the ultrasound and yes that is helping greatly. I will give the heat a try, but I will always keep icing.

Tiny1102
07-14-11, 12:19 pm
Heat prior to lifting, ice after and on off days ice 20 minutes, heat for 20 minutes and repeat a few times.

I will try the heat tonight.

Cranky
07-15-11, 10:55 am
I tried using Mineral Ice (like Icy/hot) and that didnt do a thing. I had a broken collarbone that didnt heal right and every couple weeks my right shoulder stiffens up. Aleve for a couple days helps me. Worth a shot.

Tiny1102
07-15-11, 4:16 pm
I tried using Mineral Ice (like Icy/hot) and that didnt do a thing. I had a broken collarbone that didnt heal right and every couple weeks my right shoulder stiffens up. Aleve for a couple days helps me. Worth a shot.

Aleve does not sound like a bad idea.

P Diesel
07-15-11, 7:52 pm
initial injury definitely ice as well all know...post workout ice ofcourse....once the initial injury subsides i would def use heat pre workout in addition to sum flexall for sure...i would also look into sum electric stim...u can get a unit relatively cheap for personal use if u dont have access to a facility with one. tore my pec about 30% about 4 years ago about 3 weeks from strongman nationals...used that regimen to get me in working order, i attribute most of it to the stim. be diligent Tiny, u know as well as i do this game is about longevity.

P

Tiny1102
07-18-11, 1:30 am
initial injury definitely ice as well all know...post workout ice ofcourse....once the initial injury subsides i would def use heat pre workout in addition to sum flexall for sure...i would also look into sum electric stim...u can get a unit relatively cheap for personal use if u dont have access to a facility with one. tore my pec about 30% about 4 years ago about 3 weeks from strongman nationals...used that regimen to get me in working order, i attribute most of it to the stim. be diligent Tiny, u know as well as i do this game is about longevity.

P

thanks D