PDA

View Full Version : Appollonian Journey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Appollonian
07-20-11, 1:54 pm
Decided it's time to start logging regularly... I've tried before, but came up with excuses not to. First it was 'when I can bench 185 lb, I'll post', or when I deadlift 275 lb, I'll post', and each time I met a goal, I came up with another. I'll log my workouts, and detail weights where important.

I am about 225 lb, at 6'4".

My long term goals are to be the biggest, leanest, strongest, fittest 'me' I can be.

Joe J
07-20-11, 4:41 pm
I'm subbed for this one buddy, looking forward to seeing the diet!

Appollonian
07-20-11, 5:03 pm
I'm subbed for this one buddy, looking forward to seeing the diet!

Thanks for checking in; it's nothing magical, and honestly right now it's just enough to put on about 0.5 pound a week.

Meals from yesterday (typical workout day meal plan)
7/19/2011

Breakfast (0500) - 100 gm oats, 1 serving of whole grain cereal, 2 cups milk, 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 banana
Snack 1 (0845) - 1 cup milk, 1 scoop whey, peanut butter banana sandwhich
Lunch (1145) - 100 gm (raw weight) jasmine rice, 5 - 7 ounces (raw weight) cooked beef, 1 serving low fat cheese seasoning, 1 large apple
Snack 2 (1515) - same as Snack 1
Pre-workout (1800) - 50 gm oats, 1 scoop whey, 1 serving of fig
Intra - 10 gm sports drink mix in 20 ounces of water
Immediate Postworkout (1930) - 1 pack of nitro, 10 ounces of intra drink
Postworkout (2000) - 60 gm sport drink mix, 1.5 cup milk, 1 scoop of whey
Dinner (2100) - Spaghetti noodles with my own version of alfredo sauce and 5 - 7 ounces (raw weight) chicken, 1 serving low fat cheese, 1 large apple
Night time (0100) - 1 cup milk, 1 serving peanut butter, 1 scoop whey (I almost always wake up in the middle of the night for one reason or another, so I'll crush this quick)

Total calories: roughly 4700 or 4800. I go from just under 3800 non workout days, up to 4800 workout days.

Hopefully soon I can start replacing snacks 1 and 2 with some chicken and rice or what-not, but until then I figure some protein is better than none.

Bruiser
07-20-11, 5:21 pm
Glad to see you started a journey. I'll definitely be watching to see how you do. The diet looks real good. Good luck with this and let me know if you need anything.

Appollonian
07-20-11, 11:01 pm
Glad to see you started a journey. I'll definitely be watching to see how you do. The diet looks real good. Good luck with this and let me know if you need anything.

Thanks for checking in Bruiser. Glad to have you onboard.

My diet is an ever evolving work in progress. My body seems to do well with high carbs, so I'm working with that right now.

Any advice is welcome, let's see where this goes!

Appollonian
07-21-11, 10:30 am
Current supplementation is as follows:

The timing depends on my workout: sometimes I workout at night, other days at 5 AM. The following assumes the same timing as my sample daily diet.

Animal Pak 1 pak with breakfast
Animal M-Stak* stim pill 2 hr pre-workout
Animal M-Stak* 1 pak (minus stim pill) + Animal Rage + 2 gm creatine mono 30 - 60 minutes after pre-workout meal
Animal Nitro 1 pak Immediate on racking my last weights
Universal Storm 1 serving with postworkout shake
Animal Flex 1 pak with dinner (only when I'm experiencing long term aches/pains in tissue)

*Currently taking one can of M-Stak every 2 - 3 months while trying to build up my muscle base.

I've taken more supplements before, and I'm settled on this for now. If I don't think something is working, I'll cut it out and see how I feel and how my workouts and my overall feelings go for a few weeks. Same thing for when I add anything.

Appollonian
07-21-11, 1:22 pm
I lift 4 days a week, cardio 4 days a week, and nominally 1 day a week is rested.

Mon - Quad/Ham/Calves/Abs
Tue - Back/Chest/Abs
Wed - Shoulders/Traps/Abs/Cardio
Thurs - Triceps/Biceps/Forearms/Abs/Cardio
Fri - Rest
Sat - Calves/Abs/Cardio (obliques only)
Sun - Cardio

This is my 6th iteration of my workout schedule in the last 10 years, and I'm not against changing it, but I like to give a routine 6 months at least before switching it up. I've been on my current split for probably about 3 - 4 years now

1st routine was in high school and I could only go to the gym twice a week, so it was two full body workouts
2nd routine was freshman year of college and it was the whole body trained in 3 days, 1 - 2 days rest, then repeat
3rd routine was also freshman year of college and was a more spreadout split, with 4 - 5 training days per week
4th, 5th and 6th routines was after graduation until now and is a 4 day a week split, except it was with different body parts together on different days, and varying amounts of cardio.

My gains in college were measureable, but not as much as I've experienced in the 5 years since graduating. Freshman year, in seperate incidents, I injured my right shoulder (dislocated and inflammed tendon), hurt my back, and injured my right wrist. I never let a single one of these heal completely before resuming training, so it wasn't until my late in my junior year I was able to train almost (completely) pain free as one or more of these injuires would flare up whenever I was pushing harder in the gym.

The aforementioned injuries are a big reason my split looks like it does: legs trained all in one day so that I can properly warm my lower back up on the day that hits that area the hardes. Chest/back and then shoulders trained on subsequent days so I can give my shoulder a break as long as possible before using it again. Again I'm not against changing the routine, but I evaluate things carefully when making changes, and will always put my long term mobility over potential short term gains.

Appollonian
07-21-11, 1:34 pm
7/18/2011 7:45 PM 50 minute workout bodyweight ~213

Barbell Squat: 2 warmup sets, 5x275, 12x225, 3x265
Deadlift: 4 sets 8-15, highlight was 8x335
Superset
Barbell Squat: 3 sets 12
Standing calf raises: 4 sets 10-12
Superset
Leg Extension: 5 sets
Seated Ham Curls: 5 sets
Seated 1 Leg calf press: 2 sets
Reverse crunches: 4 sets, 120 reps total
Machine Leg Press (focus on feeling where the quad inserts to the knee) 40 rest pause reps total
Roman Chair Oblique Crunches: 50 reps per side

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono + M-Stak (stims taken 2 hr previously)
Intra/Immediate Post: Gatorade + Nitro

I was thinking about doing a 5/3/1 style workout, but my set of 275 with the squat was solid, but felt drained. Then I hit 225 for 12 reps and felt pumped up, so I loaded the bar with 265, but was fairly tired out at that point.

I felt down on myself, so I asked my wife to critique my squat form. She happily agreed, never being one to let me get sloppy in the gym, and then sent me a video of myself via text, and to my suprise it was pretty good. This temporary ego boost helped me power through the rest of the workout.

Funky
07-21-11, 1:36 pm
7/18/2011 7:45 PM 50 minute workout bodyweight ~213

Barbell Squat: 2 warmup sets, 5x275, 12x225, 3x265
Deadlift: 4 sets 8-15, highlight was 8x335
Superset
Barbell Squat: 3 sets 12
Standing calf raises: 4 sets 10-12
Superset
Leg Extension: 5 sets
Seated Ham Curls: 5 sets
Seated 1 Leg calf press: 2 sets
Reverse crunches: 4 sets, 120 reps total
Machine Leg Press (focus on feeling where the quad inserts to the knee) 40 rest pause reps total
Roman Chair Oblique Crunches: 50 reps per side

I was thinking about doing a 5/3/1 style workout, but my set of 275 with the squat was solid, but felt drained. Then I hit 225 for 12 reps and felt pumped up, so I loaded the bar with 265, but was fairly tired out at that point.

I felt down on myself, so I asked my wife to critique my squat form. She happily agreed, never being one to let me get sloppy in the gym, and then sent me a video of myself via text, and to my suprise it was pretty good. This temporary ego boost helped me power through the rest of the workout.

Guess this is where you are posting now I am subbed lets do this! Nice work on the killing it! Good to hear your form is on point as well!!

Appollonian
07-21-11, 1:41 pm
Guess this is where you are posting now I am subbed lets do this! Nice work on the killing it! Good to hear your form is on point as well!!

Good to have you on board! My oldest brother always pushed form over weight moved. He would stop me (safely of course) in the middle of a set so I wouldn't hurt myself, get under the weight, and show me how to do it. He would stop his set to do that: that's not the kind of thing you can forget. Of course then we would do cheat barbell curls, but even then we minimized the 'cheat' portion...

Funky
07-21-11, 1:46 pm
Good to have you on board! My oldest brother always pushed form over weight moved. He would stop me (safely of course) in the middle of a set so I wouldn't hurt myself, get under the weight, and show me how to do it. He would stop his set to do that: that's not the kind of thing you can forget. Of course then we would do cheat barbell curls, but even then we minimized the 'cheat' portion...

That's awesome to have him there to help you! Form is important you may be able to "muscle" up lighter weights but heavy ones will hurt you if not taken with good form and respect! I agree form over weight the weight will come!

Appollonian
07-21-11, 1:48 pm
7/19/2011 7:55 PM 50 minute workout bodyweight ~213

Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 75 reps total (mixed added weight and bodyweight)
Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-40 reps per, 6x225, 5x210, 5x200, 9x185
Superset
Bentover barbell row: 6 sets 12-15
- AND -
Incline Dbell Bench: 4 sets 6-13
- THEN -
Incline Machine Press: 3 set 11-14
Superset
Seated cable row: 4 sets 12-15
Cable flys: 3 sets 10-15
Roman Chair crunches with twist alternating: 4 sets 240 reps total

I was ill two weeks ago, my workouts last week were very weak and drained, and this week my peak strength is back, but my energy levels still drop quickly. I'm upping my caloric intake a bit and I think in a week or so I'll be back to 100% and pushing it harder.

Appollonian
07-21-11, 6:35 pm
7/20/2011 6:45 PM 20 minute workout, 28 minute run bodyweight ~213

Seated Military Press: 20x45 wu, 10x115, 6x140, 5x150
Superset/
Barbell Shrug: 4 sets 15-20 reps
Lateral Raises: 4 sets 10-12
Rear Raises: 3 sets 15
V-Sit Crunches: 4 sets 160 reps total
/End

The seated military press for me is tough; it is to me what the squat is for some people I know. For that reason, I am dedicated to bringing it up to a respectable number (with comparison to my other movements).

Bruiser
07-21-11, 6:39 pm
Nice pressing. I've got the oppostie problem most guys have, the military press kills my shoulders but the behind the neck press feels great! I wish I could do standard presses so I could really build the strength like you're showing. Keep it up bro.

Necromatrix
07-21-11, 6:58 pm
Solid work!

Caught up and subbed... Keep killin' it!

Funky
07-22-11, 7:59 am
Looking good! I thought shoulder press was your week spot? 150x5 is strong bro!

Appollonian
07-22-11, 8:10 am
Nice pressing. I've got the oppostie problem most guys have, the military press kills my shoulders but the behind the neck press feels great! I wish I could do standard presses so I could really build the strength like you're showing. Keep it up bro.

Yeah, I've got very flexible joints that have a lot of give, but then a pretty abrupt point where they dislocate, and behind the neck presses are the worst for those.

Solid work!

Caught up and subbed... Keep killin' it!

Thanks man! I'm just doing my best and seeing where I can take this.

Looking good! I thought shoulder press was your week spot? 150x5 is strong bro!

Thanks again Funky! I've heard from some people that to aim for 60-75% of your bench is respectable when it comes to seated military press... is this not true?

Either way I realize when I make comments like that, I'm not satisfied with a single one of my lifts, not even close, but that's why I keep pushing, to get better all over.

Funky
07-22-11, 8:18 am
Yeah, I've got very flexible joints that have a lot of give, but then a pretty abrupt point where they dislocate, and behind the neck presses are the worst for those.

Thanks man! I'm just doing my best and seeing where I can take this.

Thanks again Funky! I've heard from some people that to aim for 60-75% of your bench is respectable when it comes to seated military press... is this not true?

Either way I realize when I make comments like that, I'm not satisfied with a single one of my lifts, not even close, but that's why I keep pushing, to get better all over.

Well if you hit 150x5 your 1RM is gotta be close to ~175 That is strong and 70% of your Bench. I understand I am never happy with my lifts either, I have done massive amounts more in the past and can't get it out of my head! You are looking good to me bro!

Bruiser
07-22-11, 8:49 am

Ouch. Just wait, it gets worse with age...

Appollonian
07-22-11, 10:50 am
7/21/2011 5:00 AM 25 minute workout, 27 minute run bodyweight ~213

Superset/
Dips: 9 sets (added weight first then bodyweight) 140 reps total (quite a few rest pauses added toward the end)
BB Curls: 9 sets 10-15
/End
Superset/
Tricep Cable Pressdown (V-bar): 4 sets 12-15
Machine Preacher Curl: 4 sets 10-15
Ab bicycle crunches: 2 sets 40 reps total
Roman Chair crunches: 80 reps
/End
Superset/
Barbell Flexor Curls: 3 sets 10-12
Barbell Extensors: 3 sets 10-12
/End

Cardio

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono + M-Stak

Quick and efficient arm session. It's been a long time since I've done straight sets for any muscle group, epsecially arms, but I'm still making gains in strength. It may be time to cut back on the volume and try a different approach soon, but I will evaluate carefully.

Bruiser
07-22-11, 11:34 am
Nice arm day bro. Don't worry about the straight sets if you're still seeing results. I live and die by the supersets and giant sets too.

Appollonian
07-22-11, 1:31 pm
That's awesome to have him there to help you! Form is important you may be able to "muscle" up lighter weights but heavy ones will hurt you if not taken with good form and respect! I agree form over weight the weight will come!

I worked out with him over the 4th of July week, first time in 2-3 years, and had one of the best workouts I've ever had. I can go into a workout with him thinking 'I've got this', and every time he manages to school me in one way or another. And I'm always more sore training with him than I do solo.

Appollonian
07-22-11, 1:33 pm
Nice arm day bro. Don't worry about the straight sets if you're still seeing results. I live and die by the supersets and giant sets too.

Thanks Bruiser.

I have been doing super/giant-sets for arms and shoulders for a few years now, and I'll do a major or two exercise for back/chest/quad/hams before diving into the madness.

Funky
07-22-11, 2:41 pm
7/21/2011 5:00 AM 25 minute workout, 27 minute run bodyweight ~213

Superset/
Dips: 9 sets (added weight first then bodyweight) 140 reps total (quite a few rest pauses added toward the end)
BB Curls: 9 sets 10-15
/End
Superset/
Tricep Cable Pressdown (V-bar): 4 sets 12-15
Machine Preacher Curl: 4 sets 10-15
Ab bicycle crunches: 2 sets 40 reps total
Roman Chair crunches: 80 reps
/End
Superset/
Barbell Flexor Curls: 3 sets 10-12
Barbell Extensors: 3 sets 10-12
/End

Cardio

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono + M-Stak

Quick and efficient arm session. It's been a long time since I've done straight sets for any muscle group, epsecially arms, but I'm still making gains in strength. It may be time to cut back on the volume and try a different approach soon, but I will evaluate carefully.

Nice dip work my man!

Necromatrix
07-22-11, 5:50 pm
Nice gun show!

Appollonian
07-25-11, 7:43 am
Nice dip work my man!

Nice gun show!

Thanks guys!

I love arm day, but I'm starting up something new starting this morning. After talking with a friend of mine (not on the FORVM), he sent me a routine to try out for 6-8 weeks. He didn't call it anything special, just said it would help with strength/power, which in turn would help with muscle growth. After digging around some, I figured it's a modified version of Westside Barbell, which I know little about, but I'll give it a shot, meanwhile reading as much as possible. I've been doing a similar routine to what you've seen this week for the past ~4 years, and while I can't argue it's given me results, I'm not against shaking things up either. Let's see how this goes...

Bruiser
07-25-11, 7:48 am
Good luck man. I'm looking forward to checking out this new routine and seeing how it works for ya.

Appollonian
07-25-11, 8:10 am
7/25/2011 5:10 AM 35 minute workout, bodyweight ~212

Box Squat: warmups, 4,4,4,3,3x255 <- First time doing these, and used a bench... the box wouldn't let me go that far down as it seems really tall, but maybe that's right... more research needed for sure
Rack Pull: warmups, 4,4,4,4,4x365 <- Again first time with these, and may have went too light
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 6-10
Seated Cable Rows: 4 sets 10-11
Hammer Curls: 4 sets 10-12
Roman Chair: 4 sets 25 x25lb

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono

I've never trained like this before, but I fel really strong today, moving weight with the rows I've never moved before with ease and form previously unthought of for me (at those weights). I'll give this routine a shakedown, and see where I'm at. Definitely need to do a lot of research to understand not only the exercises, but why I'm doing them and how they will help make me stronger.

Got the Slaughtermelon flavor Rage and really dig the flavor. Will run one day Slaughtermelon, one day Orange Juiced, until I run out of the Orange Juiced flavor in a few weeks, then run out the other, and then try Apple Jacked.

Appollonian
07-25-11, 8:12 am
Good luck man. I'm looking forward to checking out this new routine and seeing how it works for ya.

Thanks Bruiser. I'm trying this for about 6-8 weeks, and then I'll be back with my volume training, but probably in a modified form. I felt like a monster today in the gym, but not run down as a normal leg day.

Funky
07-25-11, 8:17 am
7/25/2011 5:10 AM 35 minute workout, bodyweight ~212

Box Squat: warmups, 4,4,4,3,3x255 <- First time doing these, and used a bench... the box wouldn't let me go that far down as it seems really tall, but maybe that's right... more research needed for sure
Rack Pull: warmups, 4,4,4,4,4x365 <- Again first time with these, and may have went too light
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 6-10
Roman Chair: 4 sets 25 x25lb

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono

I've never trained like this before, but I fel really strong today, moving weight with the rows I've never moved before with ease and form previously unthought of for me (at those weights). I'll give this routine a shakedown, and see where I'm at. Definitely need to do a lot of research to understand not only the exercises, but why I'm doing them and how they will help make me stronger.

Got the Slaughtermelon flavor Rage and really dig the flavor. Will run one day Slaughtermelon, one day Orange Juiced, until I run out of the Orange Juiced flavor in a few weeks, then run out the other, and then try Apple Jacked.

Very nice always good to change things up a bit. Enjoy it!

Appollonian
07-25-11, 1:34 pm
Very nice always good to change things up a bit. Enjoy it!

Thanks Funky! I'm not used to the box squats or rack pulls, but I liked the feeling.

Normally I'd go off and do another 12-15 sets in addition to what I did for legs, but I've started thinking recently that I was doing too much volume over the long haul, and my body wasn't adequately repairing itself week to week, which was evidenced by my slow increases in strength. If I can get a 10-30 lb increase (supposedly) in my major lifts from a few months of training differently, then I'm all for that.

Funky
07-25-11, 1:46 pm
Thanks Funky! I'm not used to the box squats or rack pulls, but I liked the feeling.

Normally I'd go off and do another 12-15 sets in addition to what I did for legs, but I've started thinking recently that I was doing too much volume over the long haul, and my body wasn't adequately repairing itself week to week, which was evidenced by my slow increases in strength. If I can get a 10-30 lb increase (supposedly) in my major lifts from a few months of training differently, then I'm all for that.

Keep me informed on that cause 10-30 pounds in a few months is always good gains!

Appollonian
07-25-11, 3:08 pm
Keep me informed on that cause 10-30 pounds in a few months is always good gains!

10-30 lb on key lifts was purported on some of the sites I've seen. 5-10 lb would be awesome over a 2 month time period, but I've never been one to low-ball myself.

Appollonian
07-26-11, 10:18 am
Ah... not enough sleep last night to train this morning, so I'll be training in the PM. It was either 3.5 hrs and train AM or 5 and train PM... not a hard choice.

I dropped my Universal shaker cup last night and it broke, spilling it's contents for 5 feet in every direction. Thankfully it was just water, but sadly that was my only Universal shaker... time for a new one!

Speaking of Universal/Animal gear, I have a Yellow and Red Animal shirts, and the Yellow '77 Universal shirts, and these are honestly my favorite shirts, and I've been commented on by several family members. These shirts/shaker also give me an opportunity to share the news about Animal/Universal and the FORVM and Universal USA.

It's not my fault they fit the best, even after repeated washes. Most shirts that can fit someone who is 6'4" (XL or bigger) tend to get out of shape after you wash them and either A) shrink excessively and get stupid tight or B) get much larger around the middle than the chest, giving a ridiculous bell look. On this line, does anyone know where I can find shirts/overshirts that I can wear out (church, semi-nice restaraunt, etc)?

Funky
07-26-11, 10:21 am
Ah... not enough sleep last night to train this morning, so I'll be training in the PM. It was either 3.5 hrs and train AM or 5 and train PM... not a hard choice.

I dropped my Universal shaker cup last night and it broke, spilling it's contents for 5 feet in every direction. Thankfully it was just water, but sadly that was my only Universal shaker... time for a new one!

Speaking of Universal/Animal gear, I have a Yellow and Red Animal shirts, and the Yellow '77 Universal shirts, and these are honestly my favorite shirts, and I've been commented on by several family members. These shirts/shaker also give me an opportunity to share the news about Animal/Universal and the FORVM and Universal USA.

It's not my fault they fit the best, even after repeated washes. Most shirts that can fit someone who is 6'4" (XL or bigger) tend to get out of shape after you wash them and either A) shrink excessively and get stupid tight or B) get much larger around the middle than the chest, giving a ridiculous bell look. On this line, does anyone know where I can find shirts/overshirts that I can wear out (church, semi-nice restaraunt, etc)?

Good decision on the sleep thing. and 6'4" damn bro you are a tall one! I know what you mean on the shirts most shirts these days are made for fat people with small chest and shoulders, being the opposite makes everything look well weird!

Bruiser
07-26-11, 12:16 pm
I hear ya man. I'm only 5'11" but I have a REALLY long torso (my inseam is only 30") so I have to buy shirts that are too big so they are long enough. Then after I wash them they "bell out" at the bottom. Let me know if you track down any dress shirts... that's an entirely different battle!

Appollonian
07-26-11, 1:22 pm
Good decision on the sleep thing. and 6'4" damn bro you are a tall one! I know what you mean on the shirts most shirts these days are made for fat people with small chest and shoulders, being the opposite makes everything look well weird!

I hate not training when I plan on it, and I was feeling good yesterday about a morning workout today, but then a lot of things came up that kept me up late. Sure I can hit the Rage and bang out a workout once in awhile with 3-4 hrs sleep, but if I don't have to, I won't, and they aren't the prettiest workouts either.

Yeah, things are a bit different at 6'4", but it's got it's positives too.

I've actually found a few shirts that fit really well at the store, I go nuts and buy 2-3 from the same brand with all of them fitting/looking good, and then I get them home and wash them a few times and BOOM! No good at all.

I hear ya man. I'm only 5'11" but I have a REALLY long torso (my inseam is only 30") so I have to buy shirts that are too big so they are long enough. Then after I wash them they "bell out" at the bottom. Let me know if you track down any dress shirts... that's an entirely different battle!

5'11" is still up there. My inseam is between 35-36, but I have a hard time finding shirts that are long enough, too. That's why in some sweaters I have they are actually XXL, or XLT. And I know the whole 'bell' way too well.

My other issue is my arms: some say that your 'armspan' from finger to finger should be the same as your height, so for me that would be 76"; last time I tried to measure it was over 79" (hard measurement to make on my own). This has also lead to one of my (silly) nicknames and therefore not used as my FORVM handle: monkey.

Every once in awhile I find a dress shirt that matches me perfectly, but they are few and far between.

Appollonian
07-27-11, 1:42 pm
7/26/2011 7:15 PM 40 minute workout

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-40 reps per, 6x225, 3x225, 3x225, 3x230, 2x225
Rack Press: 4 sets of 3-10
Dbell bench press: 4 sets of 4-14
Close grip bench press: 4 sets 4-8
Tricep cable pressdown: 4 sets 12-15 (very strict movement)
Hanging Leg crunches: 4 sets fo 15 (I had a slight bend in my knee, but my feet went well over my head; painful in a good way)

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono (Slaughtermelon... FTW!)

On the bench. 6x225lb isn't really a PR, but I haven't felt this good about it in awhile since I got sick earlier in the month, so it felt great last night. 3x230lb felt great, because I had already done 3 sets at 225lb, and I've never done 230 for 3, so maybe that's a PR... Nights like last night make me want a training partner, or at least a good spot in a pinch, where I think I could've gotten some good forced/assisted reps in. My wife does the perfect job of providing a spot, but being pregnant right now, I would never ask her to help out. Regardles it was an awesome session.

After I left the gym I met my wife and mother-in-law for some Thai food. The owner is Thai, but that doesn't mean it's 'authentic', but I still thought it was great. They know I like hot sauce, so the owner was excited and said she had something that would blow me up: Pure Cap (this is a misnomer, as pure capsaicin is 16,000,000 scoville) which registers in at 500,000 scoville. I tried it, and while it was hot, it had little taste and only lingered for ~5 minutes. Stuff I have at home, Dave's Ghost Pepper Sauce at ~630,000 scoville has some major flavor, and it lingers for a long time.

Appollonian
07-27-11, 1:54 pm
7/27/2011 5:10 AM 25 minute workout + 27 minute cardio, bodyweight ~212-213

Superset/
Box Squat: 8 sets of 3x135
Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 12-14 (bodyweight only)
- THEN -
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 5-10
/Superset
Superset/
Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 6-10
Roman Chair Crunches: 4 sets of 25x25
/Superset
Cardio

Pre: Rage (Slaughtermelon) + Creatine Mono

With the box squats it was nice and slow going down, and shot back up as fast as I could while maintaining control.

So far so good with the workouts, I can't wait to see what happens next week and see if I can add 5 - 10 lb on each of the key lifts.

Funky
07-27-11, 2:03 pm
7/26/2011 7:15 PM 40 minute workout

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-40 reps per, 6x225, 3x225, 3x225, 3x230, 2x225
Rack Press: 4 sets of 3-10
Dbell bench press: 4 sets of 4-14
Close grip bench press: 4 sets 4-8
Hanging Leg crunches: 4 sets fo 15 (I had a slight bend in my knee, but my feet went well over my head; painful in a good way)

Pre: Rage + Creatine Mono (Slaughtermelon... FTW!)

On the bench. 6x225lb isn't really a PR, but I haven't felt this good about it in awhile since I got sick earlier in the month, so it felt great last night. 3x230lb felt great, because I had already done 3 sets at 225lb, and I've never done 230 for 3, so maybe that's a PR... Nights like last night make me want a training partner, or at least a good spot in a pinch, where I think I could've gotten some good forced/assisted reps in. My wife does the perfect job of providing a spot, but being pregnant right now, I would never ask her to help out. Regardles it was an awesome session.

After I left the gym I met my wife and mother-in-law for some Thai food. The owner is Thai, but that doesn't mean it's 'authentic', but I still thought it was great. They know I like hot sauce, so the owner was excited and said she had something that would blow me up: Pure Cap (this is a misnomer, as pure capsaicin is 16,000,000 scoville) which registers in at 500,000 scoville. I tried it, and while it was hot, it had little taste and only lingered for ~5 minutes. Stuff I have at home, Dave's Ghost Pepper Sauce at ~630,000 scoville has some major flavor, and it lingers for a long time.

7/27/2011 5:10 AM 25 minute workout + 27 minute cardio, bodyweight ~212-213

Superset/
Box Squat: 8 sets of 3x135
Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 12-14 (bodyweight only)
- THEN -
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 5-10
/Superset
Superset/
Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 6-10
Roman Chair Crunches: 4 sets of 25x25
/Superset
Cardio

With the box squats it was nice and slow going down, and shot back up as fast as I could while maintaining control.

So far so good with the workouts, I can't wait to see what happens next week and see if I can add 5 - 10 lb on each of the key lifts.

Congrats on the PR! Looking good in here brother!

Appollonian
07-27-11, 7:42 pm
Congrats on the PR! Looking good in here brother!

Thanks funky! It felt good, and I'm very excited to see what next week brings. I think for the bench I'm going for 230 and maybe throw in a set of 235, and for the box squat go up to 265.

Appollonian
07-28-11, 3:03 pm
6/28/2011 5:20 AM 30 minutes cardio

Nothing big today, just cardio. I wanted to do calves/abs, but I didn't get to the gym early enough, so just cardio.

Tommorrow is dynamic chest and triceps, with cardio if I feel like it. Getting in some good food today... defintely looking forward to my next peanut butter banana sandwhich and protein/milkshake later...

Funky
07-28-11, 3:06 pm

Nothing big today, just cardio. I wanted to do calves/abs, but I didn't get to the gym early enough, so just cardio.

Tommorrow is dynamic chest and triceps, with cardio if I feel like it. Getting in some good food today... defintely looking forward to my next peanut butter banana sandwhich and protein/milkshake later...

Hey do not talk to Cardio like that "just cardio" how dare you LOL

Bruiser
07-28-11, 3:18 pm

Try the banana burritos. You'd love them. Spread PB on a flour tortilla shell, sprinkle a little choc protein powder and roll a banana up in it. Awesome!! For PWO add honey to it too.

Appollonian
07-28-11, 4:26 pm
Hey do not talk to Cardio like that "just cardio" how dare you LOL

HAHA! I really love cardio. Well, not really, but I'm able to run quick enough that I get the 'feel good vibes' hormone release after.

Appollonian
07-28-11, 4:31 pm
Try the banana burritos. You'd love them. Spread PB on a flour tortilla shell, sprinkle a little choc protein powder and roll a banana up in it. Awesome!! For PWO add honey to it too.

Sounds like a delicious plan... I could do that, have some eggs on the side and boom, breakfast for dinner! Except with the amount of carbs I'm eating at dinner I'd either double/triple on the burrito (corn) flours or have some rice or something, too...

Speaking of breakfast for dinner, I've been having a modified version of French Toast for dinner one night once or twice a month... hmm...

Theonidus
07-28-11, 4:35 pm
I'm surprised I didn't notice this earlier. I'm definitely subbed.

Solid Dreams
07-28-11, 4:45 pm
How fast do you usually do your run to get the hormone release?

I usually do HIIT if I do cardio because I'm impatient as hell, but I never am able to do it for 30 minutes, so I usually do the 15-20 minutes and then walk/bike the rest.

Appollonian
07-28-11, 4:56 pm
I'm surprised I didn't notice this earlier. I'm definitely subbed.

Glad you are onboard!

How fast do you usually do your run to get the hormone release?

I usually do HIIT if I do cardio because I'm impatient as hell, but I never am able to do it for 30 minutes, so I usually do the 15-20 minutes and then walk/bike the rest.

Just to be clear, I was refering to the endorphin or 'runners high'.

I run for 25 - 35 minutes at a time (3.5 to 4.5 miles typically) 3 - 4 days per week. If I'm trying to build my leg strength up and don't feel recovered workout to workout, I'll cut back on mileage and/or days per week.

On a treadmill I'll start at 7 for a few minutes, go to 7.5 for a few minutes, then 9.5 - 10.0 for a minute, then down to 8.5 for a few, then 9.5, then down to 7.5, and so on. On a track or the road, I run around a 7.5 minute/mi, then sprint up to 6 or 6.5 min/mi for 30 to 60 sec, and then back down for 2 - 3 minutes, and repeat.

I don't usually do other forms of cardio, but always feel pumped after a run.

Solid Dreams
07-28-11, 5:00 pm
Ah, you're kicking my ass then. I usually do 10 miles for a minute and a half then drop down to 4.5 for a minute, and try to keep going like that. I might vary the times, but there's no way I could run for long stretches like you do. Maybe one day...

Appollonian
07-28-11, 5:04 pm
Ah, you're kicking my ass then. I usually do 10 miles for a minute and a half then drop down to 4.5 for a minute, and try to keep going like that. I might vary the times, but there's no way I could run for long stretches like you do. Maybe one day...

I started off training at 14 to pass the JROTC fitness test, and do better in Martial Arts.

Running, pushups, and pullups were my weak spot, so I did those relentlessly.

Honestly I probably run too much right now for ideal muscle growth, but in the past when I drop back on my cardio, it's much harder for me to do the lifts; I can't get enough air in when doing my exercises, so I end up doing fewer reps at less weight. It's a balancing act for sure.

Appollonian
07-29-11, 7:51 am
7/29/2011 5:10 AM 30 minute workout, <7 min run, bodyweight ~213,

Speed Barbell Bench Press: 8 sets of 3 x 105-135
Dip: 3 sets of 10x(bodyweigth+45lb)
Upright Barbell Row: 3 sets 10-12
Tricep Overhead Extension: 3 sets 10
Calf Raise (1 leg machine): 4 sets 12-15
Cable Crunch: 2 sets 40
Roman Chair Crunch: 2 sets 25x45lb
Run 1 mi 6:55
Standing Calf Raises: 1 set of 12

Pre: Rage (SM) + Creatine Mono

Overall good feeling workout. The sets were not straight sets, but I didn't have a set order, either. I just did a set of speed bench, then a set of crunches, then speed bench, then calf raise, and so on, as long as I wasn't compromising either of the lifts.

I got to the gym too late to do the cardio I wanted to do, so I upped my run speed and knocked out a quick mile.

Looking forward to a restfull weekend and some good eats.

Funky
07-29-11, 7:55 am
7/29/2011 5:10 AM 30 minute workout, <7 min run, bodyweight ~213,

Speed Barbell Bench Press: 8 sets of 3 x 105-135
Dip: 3 sets of 10x(bodyweigth+45lb)
Tricep Overhead Extension: 3 sets 10
Calf Raise (1 leg machine): 4 sets 12-15
Roman Chair Crunch: 2 sets 25x45lb
Standing Calf Raises: 1 set of 12

Overall good feeling workout. The sets were not straight sets, but I didn't have a set order, either. I just did a set of speed bench, then a set of crunches, then speed bench, then calf raise, and so on, as long as I wasn't compromising either of the lifts.

I got to the gym too late to do the cardio I wanted to do, so I upped my run speed and knocked out a quick mile.

Looking forward to a restfull weekend and some good eats.

That was a whole lot of work piled in there! Looking sharp bro!

Bruiser
07-29-11, 7:57 am
I wouldn't worry about not getting your cardio time in. With the running and the speed bench you probably got more than you were planning on. Nice looking workouts man. Keep it up.

Appollonian
07-29-11, 10:17 am
That was a whole lot of work piled in there! Looking sharp bro!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, it was a bit, but it went pretty quick. It would've been less time, except I had a few phone calls I had to take in the workout. It might be too much volume for my weekly goals of +5-10 (try at least) on each key lift, but it's less volume overall for what I am used to doing.

I wouldn't worry about not getting your cardio time in. With the running and the speed bench you probably got more than you were planning on. Nice looking workouts man. Keep it up.

Thanks Bruiser!

Yeah, I keep my heart rate elevated during my workouts, but I get a bit mental sometimes about my workouts...

I can't wait to see where this goes!

Appollonian
07-29-11, 1:44 pm
So far so good with my new routine. The mix up of exercise order (volume, placement during the workout, placement during the week) and reduction of volume has been a nice change. The weight/power is still relatively heavy/high, but I'm not killing myself then going beyond each workout, either. Of course the real test will be if I can add to my lifts in the coming weeks, which I will either do or fail epicly.

I thought there would be no way that I would like anything more than Orange Juiced Rage (as far as preworkout drink flavors), then I tried Orange Juiced (2.0) and I must admit I liked it better. Then came Slaughtermelon, and I am really impressed with the flavor. Obviously I care more about what it does for me than how it tastes, but I'm glad it tastes as good as it does.

Bruiser
07-29-11, 6:19 pm
I'm jealous man, I still haven't tried the OJ 2.0...

Appollonian
08-01-11, 7:51 am
Yesterday (7/31/2011) I did cardio (29 minutes)

8/1/2011 5:13 AM 37 minute workout

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 4x230, 4x230, 3x230, 2x230, 2x230
SM Lockouts: 4 sets of 6-12
Dbell bench press: 4 sets of 5-11
Close grip bench press: 4 sets 5-7
Lateral Shoulder Raise: 4 sets 7-10
Roman Chair: 4 sets 20-22x45

Every working bench set was with 230 and felt good. I think next week I will try one set at least for 235. After a few more weeks I'm thinking of a different variant to try.

Today was supposed to be 'heavy' leg day, but some 'gentleman' was using my gym's one and only squat rack. Instead of waiting about and/or getting upset, I did bench instead. If the same thing happens again tomorrow, I'll just do a squat variant. Something like this would've thrown me off my cool a few years ago; now I just make things happen.

Appollonian
08-01-11, 7:53 am
I'm jealous man, I still haven't tried the OJ 2.0...

It's good stuff. If I had more than a single serving (that I already took) I'd mail you a sample bro. After I dust off my 10/11 full SM and my 4/11 full OJ (original), I'll be hitting up the Apple Jacked, and then back to OJ 2.0... I'll probably take some time off in between. Maybe.

Bruiser
08-01-11, 7:55 am
Damn nice chest day for it being leg day!! Way to adapt and have a killer workout man. With that many sets of 230, I think you'll crush 235 next week.

Funky
08-01-11, 8:16 am
Yesterday (7/31/2011) I did cardio (29 minutes)

8/1/2011 5:13 AM 37 minute workout

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 5-40 reps per, 4x230, 4x230, 3x230, 2x230, 2x230
SM Lockouts: 4 sets of 6-12
Dbell bench press: 4 sets of 5-11
Close grip bench press: 4 sets 5-7
Lateral Shoulder Raise: 4 sets 7-10
Roman Chair: 4 sets 20-22x45

Every working bench set was with 230 and felt good. I think next week I will try one set at least for 235. After a few more weeks I'm thinking of a different variant to try.

Today was supposed to be 'heavy' leg day, but some 'gentleman' was using my gym's one and only squat rack. Instead of waiting about and/or getting upset, I did bench instead. If the same thing happens again tomorrow, I'll just do a squat variant. Something like this would've thrown me off my cool a few years ago; now I just make things happen.

230 sets moving right up there brother! I think you should go with some 5/3/1 boring but big! You will love it!

Appollonian
08-01-11, 10:56 am
Damn nice chest day for it being leg day!! Way to adapt and have a killer workout man. With that many sets of 230, I think you'll crush 235 next week.

Thanks Bruiser, it was a great day. I got new shoes yesterday and was all amped up and had the whole workout planned and went through it in my head, then I ran to the squat rack and BOOM! Occupado. I just went for it, and I liked the results.

I did less tonnage this week, but the movements felt good. The plan is to destroy 235 next week, and then 240 after that... but we shall see. I don't want to be doing singles or doubles without a spot. After this 8 weeks are over I'll be looking into getting more reps in at the 230 or 235 range.

Appollonian
08-01-11, 10:58 am
230 sets moving right up there brother! I think you should go with some 5/3/1 boring but big! You will love it!

Thanks Funky!

It felt really good. I did a modified version of 5/3/1 for my bench press PR with Rage and liked the results. After about a month off of 5/3/1, I tried going again, but I just got over a cold and was drained, and I changed up my routine to try something else. I was going to give it a shakedown, then try another round of 5/3/1.

Solid Dreams
08-01-11, 11:00 am
Awesome job with the bench man!

And now for my usual "derp I'm a dumbass" question. What's a SM lockout?

Appollonian
08-01-11, 1:32 pm
Awesome job with the bench man!

Thanks Solid!

And now for my usual "derp I'm a dumbass" question. What's a SM lockout?

The only dumb quetion is one you have and don't ask.

SM is just my shorthand for Smith Machine. The lockouts are where you limit the range of motion to allow you to only move the weight a certain distance, in today's workout it was the lockout (or top) portion of the exercise (flat bench press). I really like to use the power rack for these, but it was taken, so I used the Smith Machine for this.

What I have done in the past is chosen a weight that is higher than my max, limit myself to maybe the top 1/2 of the rep (or top 1/8 or whatever) and every week try to lower it a notch and go for the same reps at the same weight as the week previously.

Every time in the past, after training for strength and making progress for a few months, I tweak an old injury and train lighter for a few weeks, and then I don't return to trying to get stronger. Not this time though: since late April 2011 I've been more or less getting ever so much stronger each week, and the weeks I feel a little weaker, instead of trying to push and subsequently hurting myself, I've been smart about it and trained to my body's energy level that day.

Appollonian
08-02-11, 10:46 am
8/2/2011 5:00 AM 50 minute workout, bodyweight ~212

Box Squat: warmups, 4,4,4,3,3x265
Superset/
Rack Pull: warmups, 4x385,4x375,4x365,4x365,4x375
V crunches 4 sets 160 reps total
/Superset
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 8-11
Superset/
Decline Oblique Crunches: 2 sets 80 reps total
/Superset

Same guy was using the squat rack again this time who was using it yesterday... for barbell curls. To make matters worse, he was doing a 6-7 station circuit, and he only did curls once ever 8 minutes. I asked, he relented, and he just used one of the other 4 areas you can do barbell curls. Who does this? Please understand I almost never ask, no matter how ridiculous what is going on, but I couldn't handle it this time.

The squats felt good, with being +10 lb higher than last week. Not sure if next week will be the same jump, maybe just +5 and get an extra rep here and there. The rack pulls weren't much heavier, but I started 2 notches lower than last week, and it was that much harder. I did 2 sets like that, then moved it up one notch and felt much better/stronger. The bentover barbell rows feel great and light (compared to the Rack Pulls) so it's easy for me to row a PR two weeks in a row.

The bad part is the workout was just too long. If I workout in the AM, I need to be showered by 5:50 AM, not hitting the shower then. I feel like the squat is the most important part of this workout is the squat variant, so I don't feel like cutting any sets from there, but will limit rest to <2 minutes per set. Next week I will limit rest between sets for the other exercises to <1.5 minutes per set, and superset where possible. If still not fast enough, then cut some of the later exercises down to 3 instead of 4 sets.

Now the box (bench) squat with 265 lb for 4 isn't really a PR, but I got down quite low, and maybe with that it would be... can't decide. My hip/knee flexibility is better every week on squats, so maybe in a few weeks I'll beat my just above parallel 275 for 5...

Funky
08-02-11, 10:57 am
8/2/2011 5:00 AM 50 minute workout, bodyweight ~212

Box Squat: warmups, 4,4,4,3,3x265
Superset/
Rack Pull: warmups, 4x385,4x375,4x365,4x365,4x375
V crunches 4 sets 160 reps total
/Superset
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 8-11
Superset/
Decline Oblique Crunches: 2 sets 80 reps total
/Superset

Same guy was using the squat rack again this time who was using it yesterday... for barbell curls. To make matters worse, he was doing a 6-7 station circuit, and he only did curls once ever 8 minutes. I asked, he relented, and he just used one of the other 4 areas you can do barbell curls. Who does this? Please understand I almost never ask, no matter how ridiculous what is going on, but I couldn't handle it this time.

The squats felt good, with being +10 lb higher than last week. Not sure if next week will be the same jump, maybe just +5 and get an extra rep here and there. The rack pulls weren't much heavier, but I started 2 notches lower than last week, and it was that much harder. I did 2 sets like that, then moved it up one notch and felt much better/stronger. The bentover barbell rows feel great and light (compared to the Rack Pulls) so it's easy for me to row a PR two weeks in a row.

The bad part is the workout was just too long. If I workout in the AM, I need to be showered by 5:50 AM, not hitting the shower then. I feel like the squat is the most important part of this workout is the squat variant, so I don't feel like cutting any sets from there, but will limit rest to <2 minutes per set. Next week I will limit rest between sets for the other exercises to <1.5 minutes per set, and superset where possible. If still not fast enough, then cut some of the later exercises down to 3 instead of 4 sets.

Now the box (bench) squat with 265 lb for 4 isn't really a PR, but I got down quite low, and maybe with that it would be... can't decide. My hip/knee flexibility is better every week on squats, so maybe in a few weeks I'll beat my just above parallel 275 for 5...

Looking solid in here!

Solid Dreams
08-02-11, 12:01 pm
That's awesome, man.

You're doing incredibly high volume (to me, at least) especially with the abs. Starting to think I better man up!

Appollonian
08-02-11, 1:32 pm
Looking solid in here!

Thanks Funky. I'm just doing what I can do.

That's awesome, man.

You're doing incredibly high volume (to me, at least) especially with the abs. Starting to think I better man up!

Honestly compared to what I've trained like in the past, the total volume I'm doing (weight moved multiplied by reps) is way down week to week. Previously I'd do slightly less weight, but rest less between sets, drop sets, supersets, forced sets, and on and on...

Right now I'm training more for strength and not necesarily beating my muscles down in agony every workout. I'm just trying to outdue my best from the previous week. First it's just nice to change period from what I was doing, and second after a few months of doing this, I'll do some more volume work, but at higher weights.

And yeah, I think it's too much volume for my current goals, but I want to give it a chance. So far this week I've pushed more weight than last week, so we'll see about next week.

I do abs like I do because I used to just train them 2 - 3x a week, but after awhile they stopped responding and I needed more and more sets and more and more reps and therefore I'd spend a considerable amount of time just training abs. I did them at the end of the workouts to not weaken myself. Now 4 days a week, the number of sets/reps is actually slightly less, but I have a better mind/muscle connection compared to what I used to have, do them between sets in which it's not too draining. Now my abs are actually stronger than they've ever been, and feel sharper... but I'm not at a low enough BF% to really appreciate them. I've had the really lean 6/8 pack, but at the time I was 188 lb. When I get them again, I want to be at least 220 lb.

Appollonian
08-02-11, 4:34 pm
I wrote earlier that I had tweaked a tendon in my right biceps group. I also wrote that yesterday was supposed to be 'heavy' squat/back day with a few sets of biceps thrown in, but instead I had to do chest/triceps/shoulders. Well it just so happens my biceps tendon was acting up sunday and yesterday walking into the gym. The 'disaster' of not being able to do intended workout actually gave me a reprieve. The pushing movements actually felt therapeutic to my tendon, and it felt a lot better after the workout. Today I had zero pain in my tendon, so it was definitely a blessing in disguise.

To those that don't know, you can pick up some Rage Apple Jacked and get a free limited edition Rage 't' here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/animal-rage.html)... if I didn't already have 1.5 jugs of Rage at home I'd be all over this... who am I kidding? I'll probably order this tonight!

Appollonian
08-03-11, 7:50 am
8/03/2011 5:15 AM 23 minute workout, <7 min run, bodyweight ~213,

Speed Barbell Bench Press: 8 sets of 3 x 135-140
Dip: 4 sets of 8-12x(bodyweigth+45lb)
Tricep Overhead Extension: 3 sets 10-11
Hanging Leg Raise: 2 sets 15

Another dynamic chest day. Felt good in all the movements, with a little more snap than last week with the same/slightly more weights on each movement. Less time than last week's Dynamic chest, with more supersets thrown in for good measure.

Still can't get my act together and get to the gym with enough time. Ran another quick mile, with the thought of running the rest of the distance in the PM. Running in 98F (115F HI value) should be fun... just going to drink 1/2 gallon before and 1/2 gallon with gatorade after. And this has been a relatively mild summer... YEAH BUDDY!

Bruiser
08-03-11, 7:53 am
Way to start the day buddy. Be careful running tonight, the heat is fucking brutal right now!

Funky
08-03-11, 8:07 am
8/03/2011 5:15 AM 23 minute workout, <7 min run, bodyweight ~213,

Speed Barbell Bench Press: 8 sets of 3 x 135-140
Dip: 4 sets of 8-12x(bodyweigth+45lb)
Tricep Overhead Extension: 3 sets 10-11
Hanging Leg Raise: 2 sets 15

Another dynamic chest day. Felt good in all the movements, with a little more snap than last week with the same/slightly more weights on each movement. Less time than last week's Dynamic chest, with more supersets thrown in for good measure.

Still can't get my act together and get to the gym with enough time. Ran another quick mile, with the thought of running the rest of the distance in the PM. Running in 98F (115F HI value) should be fun... just going to drink 1/2 gallon before and 1/2 gallon with gatorade after. And this has been a relatively mild summer... YEAH BUDDY!

Good job, been killing it! I have to do my cardio tonight as well so there will be someone else suffering!

Appollonian
08-03-11, 10:36 am
Way to start the day buddy. Be careful running tonight, the heat is fucking brutal right now!

Thanks Bruiser. So far this week I've felt good. I hope I can follow up next week with another +5 or +10 on my key lifts, or stay at the same weights and knock out a few more reps.

GUNS shared a link in another thread that I'm going to read at lunch today here (http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/52-most-common-531-questions/) to get more ideas about building ultimate strength and strength throughout the movements.

It is pretty intense. I've run outside with it being over 100F without heat index, and while my run time goes up significantly, as long as I'm hydrated I can manage. If I'm not, then my body will shut down, so I run laps and will have a water bottle sitting somewhere so I can hydrate as needed.

Good job, been killing it! I have to do my cardio tonight as well so there will be someone else suffering!

Thanks Funky! I can't say I love the fact that you are suffering too, but I'll take some comfort in that fact! Seriously though, stay hydrated man, and wear sunscreen if going outdoors.

Appollonian
08-04-11, 7:53 am
8/3/2011 7:00 PM cardio

2.5 mile run - didn't get the time for each mile, but total it was 19 minutes (used a regular analog watch to time myself)

At 7:00 PM, It was about 95F with a heat index of 105, and honestly with the sun setting/cloud covered, it wasn't too bad. When the sun is setting, the humidity isn't too bad here. It actually felt worse yesterday at 9:00 AM when it was about the same temps but the humidity was nearly 15% pts higher.

Funky
08-04-11, 8:06 am
8/3/2011 7:00 PM cardio

2.5 mile run - didn't get the time for each mile, but total it was 19 minutes (used a regular analog watch to time myself)

At 7:00 PM, It was about 95F with a heat index of 105, and honestly with the sun setting/cloud covered, it wasn't too bad. When the sun is setting, the humidity isn't too bad here. It actually felt worse yesterday at 9:00 AM when it was about the same temps but the humidity was nearly 15% pts higher.

The suffering complete! Good job!

Appollonian
08-04-11, 10:30 am
The suffering complete! Good job!

Thanks Funky! I have a some head congestion, so the running and the heat actually felt quite nice.

Going to the gym tonight with my wife and I am excited. The pregnancy has made it hard for her to workout like she loves to, but she still comes when she can and motivates me, critiques my form, shoots the breeze, and does walking cardio.

Funky
08-04-11, 10:32 am
Thanks Funky! I have a some head congestion, so the running and the heat actually felt quite nice.

Going to the gym tonight with my wife and I am excited. The pregnancy has made it hard for her to workout like she loves to, but she still comes when she can and motivates me, critiques my form, shoots the breeze, and does walking cardio.

That's good to have my friend enjoy her!

Appollonian
08-04-11, 10:37 am

Glad to know you didn't die, either, during your cardio last night...

Funky
08-04-11, 10:42 am
Glad to know you didn't die, either, during your cardio last night...

I pushed harder than I expected but did alright! Thanks for caring! LOL

Cellardweller
08-04-11, 1:26 pm
I'm liking it in here. I used to do partial reps on my basement bench in my bachelor days kinda like your do your lockouts. And v-crunches, you're my hero LOL. Wish I could nail a nice set of just 10 of those. Subbed in A.

Appollonian
08-04-11, 1:32 pm

My wife is an amazing workout partner. She might not lift even half the weight I move, but she knows how to motivate me, push me, provide the right spots exactly when I need them, and she knows what good form is supposed to look like and will 'correct' me when needed.

I've had guys try to move her out of the way on heavy bench or squats before, and man I almost lost my cool. She stood her ground and stayed to make sure I was OK when I needed it.

Appollonian
08-04-11, 1:34 pm
I pushed harder than I expected but did alright! Thanks for caring! LOL

Of course I care bro... it would look really bad if there was a report of a MD man dying doing cardio, then found out he was an Animal FORVM junky, and I urked you on to go and be crazy in the heat... I don't need that... LOL! Just kidding man, gotta be safe.

Funky
08-04-11, 1:37 pm
My wife is an amazing workout partner. She might not lift even half the weight I move, but she knows how to motivate me, push me, provide the right spots exactly when I need them, and she knows what good form is supposed to look like and will 'correct' me when needed.

I've had guys try to move her out of the way on heavy bench or squats before, and man I almost lost my cool. She stood her ground and stayed to make sure I was OK when I needed it.

It is important to have someone that knows how to push you the right way! Hell my kid is only 58 pounds but no one can get me to do one more like he can! I would not know about a spotter, yet any ways. She sounds like an amazing woman you are very lucky! I had my wife working out with us until she stabbed herself she is beginning to talk about wanting to do stuff again but it will be a bit before she can lift.

Appollonian
08-04-11, 1:46 pm
I'm liking it in here. I used to do partial reps on my basement bench in my bachelor days kinda like your do your lockouts. And v-crunches, you're my hero LOL. Wish I could nail a nice set of just 10 of those. Subbed in A.

Glad to have you onboard, Cellardweller.

I am just trying to keep pushing myself and sharing what I can. When I first started lifting I had my oldest brother who helped 'show me the ropes', but I don't live close enough anymore to train with him, so for the past 5 years it's been mainly me trying to figure out what I can. The FORVM has been a big help the last few years, and if I can help anyone else out, that would be that much better. My journey specifically now is trying to capitalize on the recent gains in strength I've made, and to see where I can take it.

The lockouts in theory allow you to push more weight through a small portion of the rep, then over time you increase that portion of the rep. I've never actually gotten it down far enough to my chest to see if really helps without tweaking an old injury in previous attempts, so I'm taking it nice and slow this time.

For the abs I was heavily influenced by Bruce Lee's abs during my martial arts days, so I always wanted a tight abdominal section for vanity, sure, but also for strenght reasons. V sit crunches was just a way to blast the whole ab region fast.

Bruiser
08-04-11, 1:47 pm
Clean out your inbox dude. It's full...

MRmichael.hooker
08-04-11, 1:54 pm
Decided it's time to start logging regularly... I've tried before, but came up with excuses not to..

This should be the core reason why mostly everyone starts a journey on here... People can lie to themselves all they want, but they cant lie on here. Everything is black and white, either you worked out today or you didn't, and that's it. Following along bro

Appollonian
08-04-11, 3:06 pm
Clean out your inbox dude. It's full...

Cleaned... sorry

MRmichael.hooker
08-04-11, 3:19 pm
Cleaned... sorry

Don't let bruiser push you around. You show him whose boss

Funky
08-04-11, 3:24 pm
Don't let bruiser push you around. You show him whose boss

This is true. You should actually push him around he likes it!

MRmichael.hooker
08-04-11, 3:26 pm
This is true. You should actually push him around he likes it!

Actually, on that note, watch how much you do push him around, Bruiser really loves getting pushed around by big men

Appollonian
08-04-11, 8:32 pm
Hopefully the link works, but I wanted to share a shirt my wife made for me

peanut butter shirt (http://m975.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/appollonian/1312503510.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2 SR3T7h5ZLgC2dBrh%2B12nJTsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAIdWhy Gwp4AENfSEtsKIcw1NrIhqlXMtRQIFEdwQOKboNuHOnhVclU%2 F%2FVsZzff%2FAtXskphySe929y%2BwXC8U%2BvmaHymr48Jqy q1x%2BuJC%2BNvD4%3D)

Solid Dreams
08-04-11, 11:43 pm
It should be italicized so that everyone thinks you do the dirty with the butter.

Nice shirt, man!

Bruiser
08-05-11, 7:03 am

peanut butter shirt (http://m975.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/appollonian/1312503510.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2 SR3T7h5ZLgC2dBrh%2B12nJTsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAIdWhy Gwp4AENfSEtsKIcw1NrIhqlXMtRQIFEdwQOKboNuHOnhVclU%2 F%2FVsZzff%2FAtXskphySe929y%2BwXC8U%2BvmaHymr48Jqy q1x%2BuJC%2BNvD4%3D)

That's awesome man! That's exactly what my parents taught my 5 year old son to say!! LOL

Appollonian
08-05-11, 7:55 am
It should be italicized so that everyone thinks you do the dirty with the butter.

Nice shirt, man!

LOL, nice man...

That's awesome man! That's exactly what my parents taught my 5 year old son to say!! LOL

My wife makes me at least 2-3 shirts a year using the iron on prints designed in Photoshop, but the really high quality that sticks around for a long time, or using fabric paint and a self made stencil like this one. I would post more, but I honestly sweat them out and destroy them after about a year... very sad.

Yeah buddy! Back when I was cutting down from my late college heavy weight, I ate as clean as possible, so people would try to cook low carb/no fat meals and they'd make sure to tell me that (my wife's parents, my parents, friends, whoever) and a few times when they said it had really low fat, I happened to have peanut butter on hand. I'd slap a bit of it on and explain how you don't have to eat super low fat to lose weight, and then say peanut butter goes with everything... I haven't tried a peanut butter burger yet, but there was this joint in the California desert that got me curious...

Funky
08-05-11, 7:56 am

Can't see this at work will look when I get home! I love peanut butter!

Appollonian
08-05-11, 8:11 am
8:10 PM 30 minute workout + 12 minute cardio, bodyweight ~213

Superset/
Box Squat: 8 sets of 3x145
Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 14-20 (bodyweight only)
- THEN -
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 8-12
Standing Calve Raises: 4 sets 10-20
/Superset
Superset/
Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 6-8
Roman Chair Crunches with twist at to: 3 sets 20
Reverse Cruch: 1 set 30
/Superset
Run 1.5 mi 10 min 56 seconds (Treadmill = easier than track for me)

These workouts are quite different than my volume frenzy of the past decade, and it's a nice change. This week I added either 5 or 10 pounds at nearly the same reps as last week. Next week I'm shooting for an additional 5 maybe 10, or if that doesn't work get at least 1 if not 2 more reps on the heavier sets.

Going to give this routine a try for at least a few months, as long as I'm progressing, then maybe try a dedicated 5/3/1 routine for a few cycles.

Haven't put on any weight over the past month, but I look leaner, so I'm thinking maybe my muscles have more glycogen with the eating I've been doing... I really don't know, but I'm not going to argue with looking more muscular/leaner and not dieting... lol. Going to keep eating the same cals as long as my goals are progressing, and then add 250-500 per day as needed.

Solid Dreams
08-05-11, 8:14 am
This might be a dumb question, but is the roman chair a lot different than like, hanging leg lifts?

Your speed is blowing me away, man.

Funky
08-05-11, 8:20 am
8:10 PM 30 minute workout + 12 minute cardio, bodyweight ~213

Superset/
Box Squat: 8 sets of 3x145
Wide Grip Chins: 4 sets 14-20 (bodyweight only)
- THEN -
Standing Calve Raises: 4 sets 10-20
/Superset
Superset/
Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 6-8
Roman Chair Crunches with twist at to: 3 sets 20
Reverse Cruch: 1 set 30
/Superset
Run 1.5 mi 10 min 56 seconds (Treadmill = easier than track for me)

These workouts are quite different than my volume frenzy of the past decade, and it's a nice change. This week I added either 5 or 10 pounds at nearly the same reps as last week. Next week I'm shooting for an additional 5 maybe 10, or if that doesn't work get at least 1 if not 2 more reps on the heavier sets.

Going to give this routine a try for at least a few months, as long as I'm progressing, then maybe try a dedicated 5/3/1 routine for a few cycles.

Haven't put on any weight over the past month, but I look leaner, so I'm thinking maybe my muscles have more glycogen with the eating I've been doing... I really don't know, but I'm not going to argue with looking more muscular/leaner and not dieting... lol. Going to keep eating the same cals as long as my goals are progressing, and then add 250-500 per day as needed.

Keep killing it! After those box squats the real deal will be good!

Appollonian
08-05-11, 10:21 am
This might be a dumb question, but is the roman chair a lot different than like, hanging leg lifts?

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Being 6'4" and relatively light and working on speed/distance since mid 2006 hasn't hurt. The treadmill is easy for me; I can run a mile in almost 6 minutes at a 1% incline, but on a track/on the road it's much harder. Plus a treadmill is typically a well A/C'd environment with low humidity, as compared to the 70-95% humidity and 90-100 degree weather I get here during the day.

Keep killing it! After those box squats the real deal will be good!

Thanks Funky!

That's my hope for sure. I want to get to 280 or 285 using box squats, then get back to regular squats for some time and get to where I can go as low with 275 to 285 for 8 reps as I do with 225 for 12, and go from there. This is an intermediate goal to my long term madness plan.

Appollonian
08-05-11, 1:26 pm

I just noticed you asked a question, my apologies...

Technically what I'm saying should be written as Roman Chair Crunch. Picture here (http://www.building-muscle101.com/images/roman-chair-sit-ups.jpg).

I started doing them at a gym that actually had one, and loved them. There is no place for your back to rest at the bottom of the rep, instead forcing you to stay flexed the whole time. My current gym doesn't have that, but the bench press benches have bars I can put my feet under that are low enough, and my legs are long enough so I can sit at the very end with my torso hanging off, allowing me to approximate the movement. I should really be typing 'modified bench press bench crunches' or something like that, but decided to go with Roman Chair to simplify things.

When I say 'with twist' what I'm doing is a modified bicycle crunch to one side by taking my right (or left) leg and pulling it to my head while at the same time twisting my upper body left (or right) as I crunch up. I do one to the center, one to the left, one to the right, and that's one rep. These blast the mid-section fairly well.

Appollonian
08-06-11, 11:59 am
Ran 4.5 miles, in about 34-35 minutes in my neighborhood. The weather went from spring like with a nice breeze to 80 feels like 90+ with no breeze and suffocating humidty in the time of the run. It's all good as my head is a bit
congested and feels better when heated up, and regardless it just toughens me up to run in the heat.

Plan for the day is to relax, shop for baby things, good eats, and whatever random stuff needs to be done.

Funky
08-06-11, 12:03 pm
Ran 4.5 miles, in about 34-35 minutes in my neighborhood. The weather went from spring like with a nice breeze to 80 feels like 90+ with no breeze and suffocating humidty in the time of the run. It's all good as my head is a bit
congested and feels better when heated up, and regardless it just toughens me up to run in the heat.

Plan for the day is to relax, shop for baby things, good eats, and whatever random stuff needs to be done.

Not a bad run there you were trucking in the heat!

Appollonian
08-06-11, 12:06 pm
Not a bad run there you were trucking in the heat!

Thanks Funky! If the sun had been out, it would've been 90 already and my run distance would've been down an and speed, too.

Bruiser
08-06-11, 9:38 pm
Way to run through that heat man. Nice work. Enjoy some rest.

Appollonian
08-08-11, 7:59 am
5:00 AM 45 minute workout, bodyweight ~213

Box Squat: warmups, 4,5,4,4,4x275lb
Superset/
Good Mornings: 5 sets 7-12
Roman Chair Crunches: 4 sets 20x45lb
/Superset
Superset/
Bentover Barbell Rows: 4 sets 7-10
Muay Thai Knee Raises: 2 sets 40/side
Superset/
Narrow Grip Cable Pulldowns: 4 sets 10-12
Barbell Curls: 4 sets 6-7

Got in before 'my friend' could grab the 'rack'... he was going to do some squat curls... I mean barbell curls.

I read some more about proper squatting and bench form this weekend, and it helped out today on the squat.

I felt pretty good with 275lb on the box squat. In a way it's almost a PR, as I went low and touched the box solidly with every rep, which is just below parallel for me. These did not feel as good as last week at 265, as on those I actually fully sat down, where on these I didn't fully disengage my hips every rep... on a lot of them yes, but not every one, and so I'm not satisfied. Maybe next week I'll back it down to 265 or 270 and try to sit with every rep, or maybe stay at 275. Regardless, I was tight every rep and felt like a much more solid chain every rep, and with that I am satisified.

No rack pulls, just weighted GM. They felt good, so maybe another week with those, and then on to Glute/Ham Raises.

Did some Muay Thai knee raises in addition to my weighted crunches... I saw Bruiser mentioned them in his journey and they sounded like fun, and they are. But they are brutal, too.

Great workout, looking forward to tomorrow.

Necromatrix
08-08-11, 8:27 am
Solid wheel work! Hmm... Cardio in 90+ degree weather... No thank you. Lol!

Appollonian
08-08-11, 11:24 am
Solid wheel work! Hmm... Cardio in 90+ degree weather... No thank you. Lol!

Thanks Necromatrix! It felt good, but it's also nice change of pace to do less volume than I had been doing. My legs felt good, but my whole body doesn't feel like it went through the ringer.

Cardio in high temps is all about what you are used to doing. I fully believe most people in relatively good shape can do a lot of work in high temps. Besides, the 90F heat was with cloud cover, which is much better.

Appollonian
08-08-11, 11:26 am
Forgot about my cardio session yesterday:

5:27 PM cardio session

Ran 3.75 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, I think it took 26 min 55 sec

Treadmill running is much easier than road/track, especially with the nice A/C, on.

Bruiser
08-08-11, 12:12 pm
Nice squat day bro. Glad you liked the high knees. They seem like they wouldn't do shit, but they really hit everything perfectly, and the best part is it puts no unneeded stress on the back.

Solid Dreams
08-08-11, 12:22 pm
Yeah, I started doing the muay thai knees too. Although with as much as I'm in the bathroom from water consumption, I decided to do every other one because otherwise I'd be in there all day!

Dang, you did arms and legs together? That's pretty crazy. Usually by the time I'm done doing legs I'm so wiped out I just don't even want to consider lifting a book, much less curl!

Funky
08-08-11, 12:42 pm
Crush some legs bro!

zachlloyd
08-08-11, 1:46 pm
Subbed for your journey Apollonian. Nice workouts. I like the exercises your bro picked for you. Seems like everythings working well. Can't wait till I get done cutting and can eat again LOL.

Looking forward to seeing your progress brother. Keep the form tight and move some weights.

P.S. Squat curls?! that cracked me up cus I've seen what your talking about with that just last week with some teenagers that thought they were big and bad curling too much weight.

Appollonian
08-08-11, 3:24 pm
Nice squat day bro. Glad you liked the high knees. They seem like they wouldn't do shit, but they really hit everything perfectly, and the best part is it puts no unneeded stress on the back.

Thanks Bruiser!

They were fantastic! I had already done the Roman Chair crunches with the 45 lb plate, and I wanted something to really blast the entire region. I superset them with bent over barbell row, but they didn't diminsh my row strength at all. These will see heavy rotation in my routine from now on. Thanks Bruiser!

Yeah, I started doing the muay thai knees too. Although with as much as I'm in the bathroom from water consumption, I decided to do every other one because otherwise I'd be in there all day!

Dang, you did arms and legs together? That's pretty crazy. Usually by the time I'm done doing legs I'm so wiped out I just don't even want to consider lifting a book, much less curl!

This isn't even close to a normal leg day for me. An 'old normal' would usually be 4-10 sets of squats, 4-10 sets of leg presses (between squats and leg presses I would try and hit 10-12+ sets total), 4-6 sets of deadlifts, 3-6 sets of leg extensions, 3-6 sets of ham curls, and 1-4 'sets' of lunges, with 4-8 sets of calf raises in there, too.

Despite all this work I did, and hobbling I did for days after, my strength gains were slow coming. My new routine is designed specifically to try and bring up my main lifts (squats, deadlifts, and bench press) without necesarily beating myself down continuously with slow progress.

And 4 sets of barbell curls is nothing compared to my 'normal' arm routine... This is just enough to give my biceps a pump and slight workout.

Crush some legs bro!

Thanks Funky! I'm doing what I can. I'm happy with this new routine, for what it's worth, so far.

Appollonian
08-08-11, 4:42 pm
Subbed for your journey Apollonian. Nice workouts. I like the exercises your bro picked for you. Seems like everythings working well. Can't wait till I get done cutting and can eat again LOL.

Looking forward to seeing your progress brother. Keep the form tight and move some weights.

P.S. Squat curls?! that cracked me up cus I've seen what your talking about with that just last week with some teenagers that thought they were big and bad curling too much weight.

Glad to have you onboard. These exercises I've been doing the last couple of weeks are mainly meant to try and make me stronger. I've been training fairly high volume the last 5 years, and while I've made progress, I think if I focus on strength for awhile, that once I do more volume work, with sufficient caloric intake, rest, and supplementation, more size will follow.

From January 2010 till maybe 3-4 months ago, I was in a really slow refinement phase, with periods of up and down along the way. I dropped ~10-15 lbs, but held on to the strength. All in all it was good, but I don't want to stay 210 at 6'4", and I'm on my way up. Eating now is definitely more fun than it was last year, but still not super crazy... most of the time.

I'm glad your along to see what I can do; any words of advice are more than welcome from all.

While I have seen people at my gym do 'squat curls' in your definition, what I was refering to in this case is the extremely annoying habit some people have of doing barbell curls in the squat rack... normally annoying, but when a gym only has one rack to do proper squats, it can make one livid.

zachlloyd
08-08-11, 5:02 pm
Glad to have you onboard. These exercises I've been doing the last couple of weeks are mainly meant to try and make me stronger. I've been training fairly high volume the last 5 years, and while I've made progress, I think if I focus on strength for awhile, that once I do more volume work, with sufficient caloric intake, rest, and supplementation, more size will follow.

From January 2010 till maybe 3-4 months ago, I was in a really slow refinement phase, with periods of up and down along the way. I dropped ~10-15 lbs, but held on to the strength. All in all it was good, but I don't want to stay 210 at 6'4", and I'm on my way up. Eating now is definitely more fun than it was last year, but still not super crazy... most of the time.

I'm glad your along to see what I can do; any words of advice are more than welcome from all.

While I have seen people at my gym do 'squat curls' in your definition, what I was refering to in this case is the extremely annoying habit some people have of doing barbell curls in the squat rack... normally annoying, but when a gym only has one rack to do proper squats, it can make one livid.

I feel if you can make gains in strength then size will follow and you can cycle back to volume and should get better results from that since youll be pushing bigger weights when you hit it again.

Eating 2300-2800 is killing me since its clean. My body is trying desperately to hang onto the fat it has and constantly tries to get me to eat more lol.

Ahhh, I understand what your talking about on Squat-curls. The golds I go to is short a BB for thier benches/inclines/military. Those are almost always busy so i use the squat rack cus nobody is ever on them lol. But at the moment with blood and guts im only doing 1 set so I'm on and off in 30-40 seconds. That and the setweight BB's dont go up enough anymore. I try to do mine from a bench if one of the squat racks is taken tho.

How lean are you at 210? Gaining some fat will also make it easier to handle heavy weights in my opinion. So as everyone says don't be afraid to gain some fat while trying to gain muscle and increase strength. I'm 6'2 maybee a smidge over so i know a lil of what you mean about long compound movements.

If youve never tried HIT its doing great for me so far, I would try a cycle of that after the cycle your on now and see how your body responds to it. I never would have thought mine would react this well, I typically follow a volume routine as well.

Appollonian
08-08-11, 5:28 pm
I feel if you can make gains in strength then size will follow and you can cycle back to volume and should get better results from that since youll be pushing bigger weights when you hit it again.

Eating 2300-2800 is killing me since its clean. My body is trying desperately to hang onto the fat it has and constantly tries to get me to eat more lol.

Ahhh, I understand what your talking about on Squat-curls. The golds I go to is short a BB for thier benches/inclines/military. Those are almost always busy so i use the squat rack cus nobody is ever on them lol. But at the moment with blood and guts im only doing 1 set so I'm on and off in 30-40 seconds. That and the setweight BB's dont go up enough anymore. I try to do mine from a bench if one of the squat racks is taken tho.

How lean are you at 210? Gaining some fat will also make it easier to handle heavy weights in my opinion. So as everyone says don't be afraid to gain some fat while trying to gain muscle and increase strength. I'm 6'2 maybee a smidge over so i know a lil of what you mean about long compound movements.

If youve never tried HIT its doing great for me so far, I would try a cycle of that after the cycle your on now and see how your body responds to it. I never would have thought mine would react this well, I typically follow a volume routine as well.

Exactly what I'm thinking... awesome!

I'm taking 3.800-4.800 calories in per day... no complaints there! The body wasn't built originally to be ultra lean, so it's not going to let go easily.

I use the rack for curls, too, but only if I'm the only person in the gym using weights/the other people aren't nearby at all. I'm alway making sure I don't get in anyone's way, and always let people work in as long as they are training a similar exercise as me.

At 210 lb, I don't know the BF, but I can see my abs (if not super bloated due to the delicous carbs/salts I'm eating) fairly easily, and see the veins in my arms pretty clearly. From pics I've seen online of supposed BF levels, I think I have another 7-10 lbs to go (from my 212 or so now and maybe 12% BF) to be in the single digit range. I look OK, and the only person I'm trying to impress is myself, and I'd rather put some more meat on before going for that coveted ripped status.

I tried high intensity before and seemed to do OK. After I do a few months of this routine, Funky has already convinced me to try out 5/3/1, and the 'Big But Boring' seems to have my eye right now...

zachlloyd
08-08-11, 6:46 pm
Exactly what I'm thinking... awesome!

I'm taking 3.800-4.800 calories in per day... no complaints there! The body wasn't built originally to be ultra lean, so it's not going to let go easily.

I use the rack for curls, too, but only if I'm the only person in the gym using weights/the other people aren't nearby at all. I'm alway making sure I don't get in anyone's way, and always let people work in as long as they are training a similar exercise as me.

At 210 lb, I don't know the BF, but I can see my abs (if not super bloated due to the delicous carbs/salts I'm eating) fairly easily, and see the veins in my arms pretty clearly. From pics I've seen online of supposed BF levels, I think I have another 7-10 lbs to go (from my 212 or so now and maybe 12% BF) to be in the single digit range. I look OK, and the only person I'm trying to impress is myself, and I'd rather put some more meat on before going for that coveted ripped status.

I tried high intensity before and seemed to do OK. After I do a few months of this routine, Funky has already convinced me to try out 5/3/1, and the 'Big But Boring' seems to have my eye right now...

Heard good things from 5/3/1 but I probably won't try that out until my strength starts plateuing some. Havn't seen anything on big but boring. will have to look that up. Sorry HIT didnt work that well for ya, keep trying routines and youll find something that will work really well. I dunno at 6'4 your probably leaner than 12% but thats just my guess since I havn't seen you lol. IMO to see your abs at 12 i would think you would need to be much thicker and typically shorter, but im obviously no expert.

Glad your doing it all for yourself bro, thats the person that matters most.

Funky
08-08-11, 6:52 pm
Heard good things from 5/3/1 but I probably won't try that out until my strength starts plateuing some. Havn't seen anything on big but boring. will have to look that up. Sorry HIT didnt work that well for ya, keep trying routines and youll find something that will work really well. I dunno at 6'4 your probably leaner than 12% but thats just my guess since I havn't seen you lol. IMO to see your abs at 12 i would think you would need to be much thicker and typically shorter, but im obviously no expert.

Glad your doing it all for yourself bro, thats the person that matters most.

Dude don't wait for a plateau the 5/3/1 you will not see plataeus just gains! The boring but big is the toughest and I think I gain more strength from it than I have from anything I have ever done!

zachlloyd
08-08-11, 7:29 pm
Dude don't wait for a plateau the 5/3/1 you will not see plataeus just gains! The boring but big is the toughest and I think I gain more strength from it than I have from anything I have ever done!

Well gaining strength isnt my main goal so thats why I am waiting. It would be nice to push more weight but since its going up doing HIT and volume work I would just as soon stay in the higher rep range for the time being. I've never had a need to drop into low reps to gain strength. But if Strength gains were my focus then I would likely already be doing 5/3/1. I do appreciate the info. For Appollonian 5/3/1 and B3 seem like they would do well Tho.

Cellardweller
08-08-11, 7:48 pm
That was a crazy workout. No way would I have come up with that combo. Legs, back and arms?! Looks like an intense day. How do you like those good mornings? GMs scare me.

Funky
08-08-11, 8:06 pm
Well gaining strength isnt my main goal so thats why I am waiting. It would be nice to push more weight but since its going up doing HIT and volume work I would just as soon stay in the higher rep range for the time being. I've never had a need to drop into low reps to gain strength. But if Strength gains were my focus then I would likely already be doing 5/3/1. I do appreciate the info. For Appollonian 5/3/1 and B3 seem like they would do well Tho.

I understand, but the 5/3/1 you do higher rep range than any other stength training I have seen. The last set you go for as many as you can, with high weight. If what you are doing works good then enjoy it!

Appollonian
08-08-11, 8:23 pm
That was a crazy workout. No way would I have come up with that combo. Legs, back and arms?! Looks like an intense day. How do you like those good mornings? GMs scare me.

It is a strength training routine I'm trying out, and the volume is quite lower than what I am used to doing, but I am hitting a PR on many of the exercises each week. The GM are tough, and I might have gone too heavy too fast.

I understand, but the 5/3/1 you do higher rep range than any other stength training I have seen. The last set you go for as many as you can, with high weight. If what you are doing works good then enjoy it!

If it's not broken, don't fix it, right? But don't be afraid to change it up once it stops. That is why I am trying this new routine out.

It's not that HIT wasn't good, I just didn't have a spotter that I could go well beyond absolute failure on some of my exercises. Maybe another time, but for now im liking whats going on.

zachlloyd
08-08-11, 9:06 pm
If it's not broken, don't fix it, right? But don't be afraid to change it up once it stops. That is why I am trying this new routine out.

It's not that HIT wasn't good, I just didn't have a spotter that I could go well beyond absolute failure on some of my exercises. Maybe another time, but for now im liking whats going on.

I feel your pain on the spotter issue, I'm using smith machine and DB's for my heavy stuff cus I dont have a spotter. As I learned in the Army...Adapt and Overcome. Glad the new routine is working well.

Cellardweller
08-09-11, 6:20 am
That's what I like about your Journey, high weight and low volume.

Appollonian
08-09-11, 8:53 am
That's what I like about your Journey, high weight and low volume.

Thank you sir. I used to be volume king and it seemed to work for strength and size gains, but hasn't for a bit now. I'll probably up the volume again some day, but only after I get my lifts to a higher level than I am now. This journey may be long, but it is worth every second, and every pound I gain and every pound I add to my lifts will be hard earned, but rewarding.

Appollonian
08-09-11, 10:32 am
5:15 AM 30 minute workout... short on time, not on fire

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-20 reps per, 3x235, 3x230, 3x230, 2x230, 2x230
Barbell Bench Press: 5 sets 7-10x170lb
Close grip bench press: 3 sets 7-12
Lateral Shoulder Raise: 3 sets 10
Tricep cable pressdown: 4 sets 10-15 (very strict movement)
Roman Chair with twist: 2 sets 20 (3-ways)
Roman Chair (quick reps): 1 set 50
Hanging Leg Raises: 2 sets 15

Besides the bench press (heavy sets) I didn't do straight sets but rather mixed abs in to save time

The bench at 235 lb was heavy, and I couldn't maintain my form the way I would like: far too much dancing and couldn't keep my butt on the bench. 235 for 3 reps doesn't equal 230 for 4: goal not achieved this week on bench. Time to regroup.

I dropped down to 230, but couldn't get the force/reps I had last week.

At this point one school of thought is to change out for another supporting lift and try something else for 2-3 weeks. Another school of thought is to drop back to what I was doing 1-2 weeks ago, and keep on trucking; why practice something else when you are failing at a specific lift (not me, what I read)? I'm split on what to try next, but it will be one of those two.

I know one week or a few weeks 'not reaching the goal' isn't the end of the world and is expected. As zachlloyd said it earlier, I will adapt and overcome.

Appollonian
08-09-11, 10:34 am
I feel your pain on the spotter issue, I'm using smith machine and DB's for my heavy stuff cus I dont have a spotter. As I learned in the Army...Adapt and Overcome. Glad the new routine is working well.

Awesome man. I'll be honest too, I was a volume junky before I tried HIT workouts, and I missed the volume and the entire body beat downs I got from doing set after set after set... The lack of a super strong spotter may have been an excuse, and like I said, I'm not against trying it out in the future.

Funky
08-09-11, 11:33 am
I have a suggestion. On your warm up sets do less reps. Go with more sets do 3 sets to warn up grt heavier with each one stay at 5 reps or less. This will give you more power for your heavy sets. Also maybe start lighter with your working sets and move up your mucles will be more used to the weight and qont feel so heavy.

Necromatrix
08-09-11, 12:02 pm
Solid benching work!

I have a suggestion. On your warm up sets do less reps. Go with more sets do 3 sets to warn up grt heavier with each one stay at 5 reps or less. This will give you more power for your heavy sets. Also maybe start lighter with your working sets and move up your mucles will be more used to the weight and qont feel so heavy.

Agreed.

As far as missing a goal on a lift, I'd roll with the "drop the weight down and build back up" idea. That is more geared for things like 5/3/1, where you wouldn't replace the main lifts, rather rotate out some of the accessory work.

Funky
08-09-11, 12:30 pm
Solid benching work!

Agreed.

As far as missing a goal on a lift, I'd roll with the "drop the weight down and build back up" idea. That is more geared for things like 5/3/1, where you wouldn't replace the main lifts, rather rotate out some of the accessory work.

I like the way this man thinks! How do i not know you yet? Will need to remediate this!

zachlloyd
08-09-11, 1:33 pm
5:15 AM 30 minute workout... short on time, not on fire

Barbell Bench Press: 2 warmup sets 10-20 reps per, 3x235, 3x230, 3x230, 2x230, 2x230
Barbell Bench Press: 5 sets 7-10x170lb
Close grip bench press: 3 sets 7-12
Lateral Shoulder Raise: 3 sets 10
Tricep cable pressdown: 4 sets 10-15 (very strict movement)
Roman Chair with twist: 2 sets 20 (3-ways)
Roman Chair (quick reps): 1 set 50
Hanging Leg Raises: 2 sets 15

Besides the bench press (heavy sets) I didn't do straight sets but rather mixed abs in to save time

The bench at 235 lb was heavy, and I couldn't maintain my form the way I would like: far too much dancing and couldn't keep my butt on the bench. 235 for 3 reps doesn't equal 230 for 4: goal not achieved this week on bench. Time to regroup.

I dropped down to 230, but couldn't get the force/reps I had last week.

At this point one school of thought is to change out for another supporting lift and try something else for 2-3 weeks. Another school of thought is to drop back to what I was doing 1-2 weeks ago, and keep on trucking; why practice something else when you are failing at a specific lift (not me, what I read)? I'm split on what to try next, but it will be one of those two.

I know one week or a few weeks 'not reaching the goal' isn't the end of the world and is expected. As zachlloyd said it earlier, I will adapt and overcome.

Did you do anything different last night or this morning regarding diet or fluids, did you get less sleep or less restful sleep. all of these can factor into if you get the weight or not.

Personally I say go for it again at the same weight next week and see how it goes. If you fail it again then and ONLY THEN would I try backing down or another theory.

You could also need to back off a day or two and give your chest time to recover more(also why i say try the same next week) if you fail to progress again then I would say give an alternative a shot,

I would almost reccomend waiting another day, Leg days are exhaustive on your body. Either move a rest day between heavy legs and heavy chest or go with more days between heavy chest days. (ie go from doing it every 7th day to every 8th or 9th). Kind of a Mentzer based idea.

Also as Necro said rotate out (or drop IMO) SOME of the accessory work. Still looks like alot of volume for your chest IMO.

Just my 2c Appollonian and you need to do what feels right with you. I am no expert on the matter lol

Appollonian
08-09-11, 1:36 pm
Before I break your replies down,

First is I really appreciate everyone dropping in. (And just because I reply under one person, anyone feel free to share)

Last is while I seem to have high muscular endurance training at submaximal weights, the closer I get to my 1 RM, my reps go off a cliff. For barbell flat bench, I could probably do 15 reps at 185 (1RMcalc=300), but maybe 10 at 205 (1RM=275). Once I hit 225, the best I've done is 6 (1RM=260). In the past as I've approached this limit, instead of finding a way to push through, I drop my working weight down, and settle for higher volume. Strength gains come, but over long periods of time. Maybe it's the best I can do, but I'm not satisfied...

Here we go:

OK, so for bench, let's say my maximum working weight I'm going for the day is 235, and I want to do 5 working sets, and stay in the 3-6 rep range (supposed power increasing rep range). Let's say I do 135 for 5, 155 for 3, 185 for 3, then instead of slapping on 235 and doing that for 5 sets, I should go with 215 for 3-5 reps, rest, 225, rest, then 235? Then back down on the other side? I've always assumed my two warmup sets got my muscles ready for the heavy work and that I should go heavy in the first working set when the freshest, but it also makes sense to get the muscles fully warmed up and primed with slightly lighter working sets.

Solid benching work!

Agreed.

Thanks Necrmatrix! It definitely felt like a good session. I did achieve the goal of doing at least one set at a higher weight, which is technically a goal, but my form wasn't what I wanted, and I know I can do better.

I think next week I might go with more warmups, a lighter working set, then put 225, which was my weight two weeks ago, and work with that. If I'm feeling up to, I may even bounce into the 230-235 range again.

As I've said before, 5/3/1 Boring But Big has my eye right now, but I'm rolling with this workout scheme for at least a month or two to give it a shakedown.

I like the way this man thinks! How do i not know you yet? Will need to remediate this!

Glad to get you guys together here in my thread!

zachlloyd
08-09-11, 2:52 pm
OK, so for bench, let's say my maximum working weight I'm going for the day is 235, and I want to do 5 working sets, and stay in the 3-6 rep range (supposed power increasing rep range). Let's say I do 135 for 5, 155 for 3, 185 for 3, then instead of slapping on 235 and doing that for 5 sets, I should go with 215 for 3-5 reps, rest, 225, rest, then 235? Then back down on the other side? I've always assumed my two warmup sets got my muscles ready for the heavy work and that I should go heavy in the first working set when the freshest, but it also makes sense to get the muscles fully warmed up and primed with slightly lighter working sets.

I think next week I might go with more warmups, a lighter working set, then put 225, which was my weight two weeks ago, and work with that. If I'm feeling up to, I may even bounce into the 230-235 range again.

As I've said before, 5/3/1 Boring But Big has my eye right now, but I'm rolling with this workout scheme for at least a month or two to give it a shakedown.

Building up to one heavy ass working set would sound like a good idea. Since heavier weight is the goal I would focus on one maximal set with a few light warmups with one or two "heavier warmups" You've obviously looked into the 5/3/1 for strength building and It utilizes one heavy set with a few warmups at a set rep sceme. Funky and Necro seem to have a good idea on what you should do.

Bruiser
08-09-11, 2:56 pm

... the third sign of the apocalypse...

Appollonian
08-09-11, 3:05 pm
Did you do anything different last night or this morning regarding diet or fluids, did you get less sleep or less restful sleep. all of these can factor into if you get the weight or not.

Personally I say go for it again at the same weight next week and see how it goes. If you fail it again then and ONLY THEN would I try backing down or another theory.

You could also need to back off a day or two and give your chest time to recover more(also why i say try the same next week) if you fail to progress again then I would say give an alternative a shot,

I would almost reccomend waiting another day, Leg days are exhaustive on your body. Either move a rest day between heavy legs and heavy chest or go with more days between heavy chest days. (ie go from doing it every 7th day to every 8th or 9th). Kind of a Mentzer based idea.

Also as Necro said rotate out (or drop IMO) SOME of the accessory work. Still looks like alot of volume for your chest IMO.

Just my 2c Appollonian and you need to do what feels right with you. I am no expert on the matter lol

I typically drink an excess of water/fluids, and yesterday wasn't an exception. The only thing I would change about yesterday was I was in the sun for 5 hrs, but that's not something I can really help (job). Sleepwise I actually got more rest than the week before.

I think the one place you mentioned I could improve is training day placement and volume during workouts.

The current training I'm trying out is a modified WS routine (found online... I know but I wanted to give something radically different a try). Two days maximum and two days dynamic efforts a week. Ideally I would train ME legs day one, day three would be ME upper body, then day four DE legs, then day 6 would be DE upper body, then day 7 rest. Unfortunately my schedule just doesn't allow regular weekend workouts, so days 6 and 7 are always rest..

I could try day 1 ME lower, day 3 ME upper, day 4 DE lower, then day 5 DE upper, but for the next few months that is the most flexibility I have unfortunately. I could even switch and put upper first in the lineup, but I'd have to give that some thought. Maybe I could even do one week heavy, and the next week submaximal on all my lifts, to give even more rest.

I definitely am thinking it's too much volume, too, and it's reduced some compared to what the website I found recommended, and will probably reduce some more from where I am.

Building up to one heavy ass working set would sound like a good idea. Since heavier weight is the goal I would focus on one maximal set with a few light warmups with one or two "heavier warmups" You've obviously looked into the 5/3/1 for strength building and It utilizes one heavy set with a few warmups at a set rep sceme. Funky and Necro seem to have a good idea on what you should do.

Sounds like a solid plan then! Thanks for all your input, it definitely gives me something to think about.

I'm still hung up on higher volume, with limiting rest between sets to try and fit in the accessory work. It's like I'm trying to crush the accessory work instead of focusing on the main lift...

Next week I'll focus on the main lifts, not compromise rest between sets, go at least 2-3 minutes between sets, and ramp up over more sets.

Appollonian
08-09-11, 3:08 pm

LOL! The circle is complete.

Again, thanks for the humor Bruiser!

zachlloyd
08-09-11, 3:10 pm
Next week I'll focus on the main lifts, not compromise rest between sets, go at least 2-3 minutes between sets, and ramp up over more sets.

Sounds solid brother, looking forward to how you do.

Funky
08-09-11, 5:06 pm
Before I break your replies down,

First is I really appreciate everyone dropping in. (And just because I reply under one person, anyone feel free to share)

Last is while I seem to have high muscular endurance training at submaximal weights, the closer I get to my 1 RM, my reps go off a cliff. For barbell flat bench, I could probably do 15 reps at 185 (1RMcalc=300), but maybe 10 at 205 (1RM=275). Once I hit 225, the best I've done is 6 (1RM=260). In the past as I've approached this limit, instead of finding a way to push through, I drop my working weight down, and settle for higher volume. Strength gains come, but over long periods of time. Maybe it's the best I can do, but I'm not satisfied...

Here we go:

Thanks Necrmatrix! It definitely felt like a good session. I did achieve the goal of doing at least one set at a higher weight, which is technically a goal, but my form wasn't what I wanted, and I know I can do better.

Glad to get you guys together here in my thread!

Yes something like that would work fine even if you wanted to hit say 235 for 3 sets just do 215x3-5 and 225x3-5 then the 235 sets. After the 3 light warm up sets. You could do something like the 5/3/1 boring but big which you may like and do a step up then on 235 being the 6th set you go for the gold and hit as many as you can, then step down to say 175 and hit 4-5sets of 10. By doing this you hit every fiber and you hit different rep ranges. Trust me the lighter weight after your heavy all out is a rough mother fucker and will make you proud you made it through!!

Funky
08-09-11, 5:07 pm

He is the one holding the sign, which hooker colored with crayola and guns taped to his back. I should not have told him cause now he will find out below that it says kick me!

Necromatrix
08-10-11, 7:51 am

Yep! Guess I better start sharpening my scythe... Lol!

Bruiser
08-10-11, 8:35 am
Yep! Guess I better start sharpening my scythe... Lol!

Is it an Emoscythe, so not only does it cause darkness and pain, but it can cut itself? LOL How ya been bro?

Necromatrix
08-10-11, 8:45 am
Is it an Emoscythe, so not only does it cause darkness and pain, but it can cut itself? LOL How ya been bro?

.... Doodie head... LMAO!

Good, trying to get back in the swing of things after AT. You?

Appollonian
08-10-11, 11:13 am
5:00 PM 20 minute workout + 27 minute cardio, bodyweight ~213

Superset/
Box Squat: 8 sets of 3x150
Wide Grip Chins: 9x(bodyweight + 45 lb plate) 3 sets 12-14 (bodyweight only)
- THEN -
Seated cable rows: 4 sets 11-14 reps
/Superset
Superset/
Hammer curls: 4 sets 8-12
Hanging leg raises: 4 sets 16
/Superset
Run 3.5 mi 26 min 33 seconds (indoor track)

Due to scheduling, I had to put my DE lower body right after ME upper, so maybe not ideal, but all the movements felt good. I feel OK with the volume on my DE days, but still going to cut back on the ME days and focus on the main lifts.

I really concentrated on having my best form every second of the squats, and everything was tight. If I can carry the form over to the heavy days, it should be possible to keep hitting PRs (either reps or poundage) every week or two. I was also happy to hit 9 reps with 45 lbs added on my wide grip chins, but I think if I did these fresh, I could get at least another 10-15 lb, or 4-5 reps out of it; will find out before too long.

My body's rhythm is bad sometimes with regards to waste extraction... no pretty way of putting it, but somedays I have to 'go' half an hour before I workout, an hour or two after, and every once in awhile right in the middle of my cardio. Today was that day, and it made it uncomfortable... I still got by OK.

Appollonian
08-10-11, 11:15 am

... or is it the brocalypse?

Bruiser
08-10-11, 11:26 am
My body's rhythm is bad sometimes with regards to waste extraction... no pretty way of putting it, but somedays I have to 'go' half an hour before I workout, an hour or two after, and every once in awhile right in the middle of my cardio. Today was that day, and it made it uncomfortable... I still got by OK.

I use to have the same problem, but not anymore. What I do is get up an hour earlier, drink 2-3 16 oz cups of strong hot black coffee, take 2-3 digestive enzymes and wait. Within an hour I'm COMPLETELY cleaned out. Bawoosh, bitches!

Appollonian
08-10-11, 1:52 pm
I use to have the same problem, but not anymore. What I do is get up an hour earlier, drink 2-3 16 oz cups of strong hot black coffee, take 2-3 digestive enzymes and wait. Within an hour I'm COMPLETELY cleaned out. Bawoosh, bitches!

Normally I have my Bawoosh handled before I hit the gym, but I've been a little bit under the weather, so my patterns aren't as defined as before... that was one of the hardest runs of my life, despite the fact that I was on a nicely surfaced indoor track with awesome A/C.

I do think I'll try to incorporate more digestive enzymes in my diet, though. I have been making my wife unhappy lately, and if it can be helped, I'll do what it takes.

Your regularity is amazing to me, Bruiser, and I applaud you bro. And I think you need a shirt that says 'Bawoosh' on the front and 'bitches' on the back, or some variant thereof.

Funky
08-10-11, 2:16 pm
5:00 PM 20 minute workout + 27 minute cardio, bodyweight ~213

Superset/
Box Squat: 8 sets of 3x150
Wide Grip Chins: 9x(bodyweight + 45 lb plate) 3 sets 12-14 (bodyweight only)
- THEN -
Seated cable rows: 4 sets 11-14 reps
/Superset
Superset/
Hammer curls: 4 sets 8-12
Hanging leg raises: 4 sets 16
/Superset
Run 3.5 mi 26 min 33 seconds (indoor track)

Due to scheduling, I had to put my DE lower body right after ME upper, so maybe not ideal, but all the movements felt good. I feel OK with the volume on my DE days, but still going to cut back on the ME days and focus on the main lifts.

I really concentrated on having my best form every second of the squats, and everything was tight. If I can carry the form over to the heavy days, it should be possible to keep hitting PRs (either reps or poundage) every week or two. I was also happy to hit 9 reps with 45 lbs added on my wide grip chins, but I think if I did these fresh, I could get at least another 10-15 lb, or 4-5 reps out of it; will find out before too long.

NICE! Keep that shit coming, with good form comes weight!@

Necromatrix
08-10-11, 2:24 pm
Normally I have my Bawoosh handled before I hit the gym, but I've been a little bit under the weather, so my patterns aren't as defined as before... that was one of the hardest runs of my life, despite the fact that I was on a nicely surfaced indoor track with awesome A/C.

I do think I'll try to incorporate more digestive enzymes in my diet, though. I have been making my wife unhappy lately, and if it can be helped, I'll do what it takes.

Your regularity is amazing to me, Bruiser, and I applaud you bro. And I think you need a shirt that says 'Bawoosh' on the front and 'bitches' on the back, or some variant thereof.

Bawoosh on the front is a whole 'nother tub of monkeys....

Funky
08-10-11, 2:31 pm
Bruiser just needs a shit that says "stand back bawoosh happens" LOL

Bruiser
08-10-11, 4:02 pm

Make me the shirt, I'll wear it!!

Bawoosh on the front is a whole 'nother tub of monkeys....

Fucking hilarious!!!

Did you even notice your typo? LOL And the shirt should say, "Shut Up and Bawoosh" on the front with the Animal A on the back with the word "Hole" under it... LOL

Funky
08-10-11, 4:13 pm
i did miss that r LMAO well bawoosh happens

Bruiser
08-10-11, 4:18 pm
i did miss that r LMAO well bawoosh happens

I had to read it a couple times because I knew something didn't look right. LOL

Appollonian
08-10-11, 4:24 pm
I thought the typo was intentional, and laughed my head off... thanks for the humor fellas.

Appollonian
08-10-11, 4:27 pm
NICE! Keep that shit coming, with good form comes weight!@

I'm trying Funky, thanks for the words! Next week I'm going to be just a bit better/bigger.

Form is King. Weight without form is asking for trouble/injury. But with good form and pushing yourself, the weight will come... LIKE YOU SAID, lol. That's just what I was always told whenever I was being ignorant and trying to hurt myself pushing more weight than I should...

Appollonian
08-10-11, 4:29 pm

Well... it does.

Make me the shirt, I'll wear it!!

Fucking hilarious!!!

Did you even notice your typo? LOL And the shirt should say, "Shut Up and Bawoosh" on the front with the Animal A on the back with the word "Hole" under it... LOL

LOL! Maybe I can get a prototype mocked up.

Appollonian
08-10-11, 4:58 pm
Something I posted in Cellardwellar's thread for everyone's info.

I used to get nuts and say the weights were insulting me before a set... I was mostly doing it to make my wife laugh, but part of my mind was serious. It was sitting there, mocking me, saying I couldn't. I proved them wrong. Mental... maybe, but effective yes.

Seriously I would say 'can you hear that crap, did you hear what it said' I would say it with a smirk, but I would do it. Only on the heaviest of heavy sets for t-bar or deadlift or squat or whatever, and only once or twice a week, but I was nuts and she laughed partly because it was funny, partly because I was just stupid. We used to have the time to really workout and enjoy the time together, now there's no time... hopefully I can free some time after the baby comes and we can still hit the iron from time to time.

Funky
08-10-11, 5:09 pm
Something I posted in Cellardwellar's thread for everyone's info.

I used to get nuts and say the weights were insulting me before a set... I was mostly doing it to make my wife laugh, but part of my mind was serious. It was sitting there, mocking me, saying I couldn't. I proved them wrong. Mental... maybe, but effective yes.

Seriously I would say 'can you hear that crap, did you hear what it said' I would say it with a smirk, but I would do it. Only on the heaviest of heavy sets for t-bar or deadlift or squat or whatever, and only once or twice a week, but I was nuts and she laughed partly because it was funny, partly because I was just stupid. We used to have the time to really workout and enjoy the time together, now there's no time... hopefully I can free some time after the baby comes and we can still hit the iron from time to time.

great all this time I thought wonderful someone sane on here...... NOPE crazy just like the rest of us LOL

Appollonian
08-10-11, 5:30 pm
great all this time I thought wonderful someone sane on here...... NOPE crazy just like the rest of us LOL

I'm no better than anyone else, bro.

Appollonian
08-11-11, 7:57 am
5:15 AM 27 min cardio

Run: 3.5 mile 26 min 23 sec

Pre: Kwik Energy + BCAA

*Pre-pre workout: BAWOOSH (thanks Bruiser, now I can't call it anything else... even my wife knows the word)*

Nothing much else to say except I am glad I went before the run and not during.

I don't feel run down like I normally did during the end of my volume training (as in almost all the time I was feeling run down, not just muscle wise but entire body), so I'm thinking I'll be good for some more reps/weight on squats next week, and better form on my bench.

Appollonian
08-11-11, 7:58 am
If Bruiser's shirt needs to say Bawoosh happens, my shirt will say 'WTF! Did you just hear what the barbell said to me!' or something like that.

Solid Dreams
08-11-11, 8:02 am
Maybe I should try doing that, it'd probably be better than swinging my arms and growling to myself. I did that yesterday and they looked at me like I was fucking insane.

Bruiser
08-11-11, 8:26 am
5:15 AM 27 min cardio

Run: 3.5 mile 26 min 23 sec

Pre: Kwik Energy + BCAA

*Pre-pre workout: BAWOOSH (thanks Bruiser, now I can't call it anything else... even my wife knows the word)*

Nothing much else to say except I am glad I went before the run and not during.

I don't feel run down like I normally did during the end of my volume training (as in almost all the time I was feeling run down, not just muscle wise but entire body), so I'm thinking I'll be good for some more reps/weight on squats next week, and better form on my bench.

Hahahaha you're welcome!!

Funky
08-11-11, 12:55 pm
Cardio for the win! I gotta do mine today...... Actually feel like sleeping I just did a 6 hour test in less than 3 hours my mind is tired!

Appollonian
08-11-11, 1:24 pm
Maybe I should try doing that, it'd probably be better than swinging my arms and growling to myself. I did that yesterday and they looked at me like I was fucking insane.

People will still look at you. Except instead of them thinking that you are 'hardcore' they might actually think you have a few screws loose. Oh well, whatever helps me push a few more lbs/reps.

Hahahaha you're welcome!!

She's like 'Wait, you guys are how old now? I've already got one kid (me), and another on the way.' She's just kidding around, and she understands we're not actually mental...

Cardio for the win! I gotta do mine today...... Actually feel like sleeping I just did a 6 hour test in less than 3 hours my mind is tired!

FTW BABY! I wanted to do some abs/calves, but got to the gym late. I'm going tomorrow, so it's all good.

What kind of test is this?

The longest/hardest test I took was the Fundamentals of Engineering back in college. Some people studied 5-10 hrs per week for 4-6 months for that test, and I only studied about 10 hrs total... you didn't need to pass it to graduate, and I never plan on getting my license. But there's really no way to study for it: it covers the basic concepts of every area of engineering that any graduating engineer should know (Mechanical - my degree, Civil, Chemical, Computer, Electrical) and then goes in depth for your area of focus. It's basically checking how much you've retained over however long it took you to get your degree. (some people who put all that time and effort failed multiple times... thankfully I retained enough to only take it once)

Anyhow, that's a bit off topic... I just remembered that my brain was FRIED afterwards and I haven't thought about it until you just brought it up.

Funky
08-11-11, 1:27 pm
People will still look at you. Except instead of them thinking that you are 'hardcore' they might actually think you have a few screws loose. Oh well, whatever helps me push a few more lbs/reps.

She's like 'Wait, you guys are how old now? I've already got one kid (me), and another on the way.' She's just kidding around, and she understands we're not actually mental...

FTW BABY! I wanted to do some abs/calves, but got to the gym late. I'm going tomorrow, so it's all good.

What kind of test is this?

The longest/hardest test I took was the Fundamentals of Engineering back in college. Some people studied 5-10 hrs per week for 4-6 months for that test, and I only studied about 10 hrs total... you didn't need to pass it to graduate, and I never plan on getting my license. But there's really no way to study for it: it covers the basic concepts of every area of engineering that any graduating engineer should know (Mechanical - my degree, Civil, Chemical, Computer, Electrical) and then goes in depth for your area of focus. It's basically checking how much you've retained over however long it took you to get your degree. (some people who put all that time and effort failed multiple times... thankfully I retained enough to only take it once)

Anyhow, that's a bit off topic... I just remembered that my brain was FRIED afterwards and I haven't thought about it until you just brought it up.

It was an SRR simulated test. They give 6 hours to finish I was the first one done and said see ya bitches lol! SRR=Security Rediness Review it is a DISA training course for the DoD...

Appollonian
08-12-11, 7:59 am
It was an SRR simulated test. They give 6 hours to finish I was the first one done and said see ya bitches lol! SRR=Security Rediness Review it is a DISA training course for the DoD...

Awesome, I hope you did well. It's a great feeling to walk out of a test in short order... even better knowing that you just smoked the sucker.

Funky
08-12-11, 8:24 am
Awesome, I hope you did well. It's a great feeling to walk out of a test in short order... even better knowing that you just smoked the sucker.

Think i do good have to wait like 10 days for certificate to find out it is pass or fail miss 20 points fail which cat 1 are worth 10 points hope i did not miss a cat 1 lol

Appollonian
08-13-11, 8:16 am
7:15 PM 30 minute workout bodyweight ~213,

Speed Barbell Bench Press: 8 sets of 3 x 145
Bench Press: 1 rep x 225
Dip: 4 sets of 10-14x(bodyweigth+45lb)
Upright Barbell Row: 3 sets 10
Tricep Overhead Extension: 3 sets 10-12
Bicycle Crunch: 2 sets 20 (per side)
Reverse Crunch: 2 sets of 25
Roman Chair Crunch: 1 set 50
Standing Calf Raise: 5 sets 10-15 (toes in)

Chest movements felt fantastic. I did a set of abs between every set of bench, then did calves in between, then overhead extension while doing the upright rows, to save time.

Worked out with my wife, which always an awesome bonus.

After doing 8 sets of speed bench, my chest felt fully warmed up, and even though 4 days previously I had done my heavy bench day, I wanted to see how I feel with 225. 225 is a benchmark for me on bench and squat; if it feels good, then going heavier should be possible but if it feels super heavy, then going over that is not worth the risk of injury. The 1 rep with 225 was solid and felt great; could've gotten more for sure, but today was speed day, and I don't want to waste myself before the next day.

On every exercise in the workout I was stronger, doing more reps and/or weight with each exercise, it was great; can't wait for next weeks workout. I wanted to keep going and going... but this isn't super volume training day of a few months ago, I'm training with a bigger purpose with strength gains in mind.

Cardio tonight at the gym...

Bruiser
08-13-11, 9:51 am
Gotta love the pump you get from speed benching man.It's funny man, I think even when we change up our week we still end up training the same the thing the same day! LOL Keep at the 225 until you feel good at it. You don't want to try to move up too fast and not be able to hit it and mess with your confidence. That can take your head out of the game for awhile.

Appollonian
08-13-11, 10:28 am
Gotta love the pump you get from speed benching man.It's funny man, I think even when we change up our week we still end up training the same the thing the same day! LOL Keep at the 225 until you feel good at it. You don't want to try to move up too fast and not be able to hit it and mess with your confidence. That can take your head out of the game for awhile.

The pump was fantastic! I was glad I was able to get my form feeling really tight, too, and hopefully will carry that over to next week's heaiver benching. Last night also showed me how important it was to warm up like everyone is saying over a number of sets, not just two lightweight sets.

It's like we have some kind of Animal FORVM connection that just works things out... seriously can't wait for a chance to train with all you midwestern Animals sometime next year hopefully.

Appollonian
08-13-11, 10:41 am
To recap the last week compared to the week before:

Squat (box variety): +10 lb, ROM to the bench but did not sit down. Next week I'll see how I feel, but going for the sit down and maybe +5-10 lb if feeling is good

Bench Press: +5 lb, but the form wasn't what I wanted. Next week I'll see how I feel, but going for better form (butt on the bench)

Others: My rows are feeling great, too, and the weight/form is going up/improving each week. I'm also going to start doing the glute ham raises; those things are tough.

For the main lifts, I'm going to increase rest betweem sets, and do more warmup sets working up to my working weight.

Cellardweller
08-13-11, 1:54 pm
Good work. Even just adding a 5lb plate to each side of a bar per month is a respectable gain. Keep it up.

Solid Dreams
08-13-11, 3:33 pm
Did you see that video that bryan put in funky's thread?

I followed through to the 6 week bench cure and I'm gonna try what he says, I think that'll help me a lot because I'm sure my form is terrible.

Sprint
08-13-11, 4:14 pm
Woah, look where I just landed...

Appollonian
08-13-11, 5:44 pm
Good work. Even just adding a 5lb plate to each side of a bar per month is a respectable gain. Keep it up.

Thanks Cellardwellar!

5-10 lb per month would be awesome and is my general goal.

Going to try and make things happen.

Did you see that video that bryan put in funky's thread?

I followed through to the 6 week bench cure and I'm gonna try what he says, I think that'll help me a lot because I'm sure my form is terrible.

Man... I haven't fired up my home computer in weeks... maybe tonight... *hides from Funky*

Ive read/heard about that and I'm sure that the author of that knows his stuff. My form is rough, too, bro. I'll have to read some more about it before trying it out.

Woah, look where I just landed...

In my thread or Lower Alabama... Seriously good to have you in here man!

Sprint
08-13-11, 6:42 pm
In my thread or Lower Alabama... Seriously good to have you in here man!

In your thread bro, if I was in Lower Alabama, we'd have already smashed up an ABC!!

Appollonian
08-13-11, 7:24 pm
In your thread bro, if I was in Lower Alabama, we'd have already smashed up an ABC!!

Haha, I know man, I know. Good to have you aboard!

Appollonian
08-13-11, 8:20 pm

And hopefully one day we can hit up a gym together.

Appollonian
08-13-11, 8:24 pm
5:10 PM 27 min treadmill run

Run (1% incline): 3.75 mile in 26:55

Pre: Kwik Energy

Just cardio to get my heart pumping, interval between >9 mph and <8 mph.

zachlloyd
08-13-11, 8:26 pm
5:10 PM 27 min treadmill run

Run (1% incline): 3.75 mile in 26:55

Just cardio to get my heart pumping, interval between >9 mph and <8 mph.

Thats bookin it bro. nice work. I'm outta breath just reading it haha

Solid Dreams
08-13-11, 8:46 pm
Seriously. "Just getting my heart pumping." Thanks for that!

Appollonian
08-13-11, 9:15 pm
Thats bookin it bro. nice work. I'm outta breath just reading it haha

Thanks man, running is fun when I do it hard enough. I used to have have a hard time running <9 minute mile.

Seriously. "Just getting my heart pumping." Thanks for that!

Man, no harm meant! From what I've seen your doing work, too!

Honestly I just want to keep my cardiovascular system in check. Last major bulk I went on, I cut my running way back, but found that I was unable to move the sort of weights I was moving when I was in better shape. My heart rate is definitely above the so called fat burning zone, as that's not my main concern while doing cardio right now. Being able to efficiently move the oxygen is.

zachlloyd
08-13-11, 10:39 pm
My heart rate is definitely above the so called fat burning zone, as that's not my main concern while doing cardio right now. Being able to efficiently move the oxygen is.

Very good point.

Bruiser
08-14-11, 7:22 am
Honestly I just want to keep my cardiovascular system in check. Last major bulk I went on, I cut my running way back, but found that I was unable to move the sort of weights I was moving when I was in better shape. My heart rate is definitely above the so called fat burning zone, as that's not my main concern while doing cardio right now. Being able to efficiently move the oxygen is.

I agree with you on that man. When I was up to 230 lbs (July 1st) I was having trouble breathing while training. Hell, I'd get winded trying to bend over to tie my shoes. Since I've been doing cardio I feel so much better. Even if I didn't burn a single pound, it'd still be worth it. I hear ya on the heart rate thing too. I think too many guys go all out on their cardio not realizing that top speed isn't the answer.

Appollonian
08-14-11, 9:48 pm
I agree with you on that man. When I was up to 230 lbs (July 1st) I was having trouble breathing while training. Hell, I'd get winded trying to bend over to tie my shoes. Since I've been doing cardio I feel so much better. Even if I didn't burn a single pound, it'd still be worth it. I hear ya on the heart rate thing too. I think too many guys go all out on their cardio not realizing that top speed isn't the answer.

I hear you Bruiser; on that bulk where I cut the cardio, I would got winded doing things like running up stairs and stuff, hated that. Weight lifting is anaerobic, but when you take a breath during a rep, having a strong heart/lungs, it helps grind out the reps.

Appollonian
08-14-11, 10:00 pm
4:10 PM 25 min treadmill run

Run (1% incline): 3.5 mile in 25:00

Quick run tonight.

Ate a lot of food today, making sure I'm good to go for tomorrow. Feel good, going to try and make things happen. Going to work up to my working weight, and go for better form, and more weight if I am feeling it.

zachlloyd
08-14-11, 10:21 pm
4:10 PM 25 min treadmill run

Run (1% incline): 3.5 mile in 25:00

Quick run tonight.

Ate a lot of food today, making sure I'm good to go for tomorrow. Feel good, going to try and make things happen. Going to work up to my working weight, and go for better form, and more weight if I am feeling it.

quit runnin so much Yeesh! LOL

Appollonian
08-14-11, 10:34 pm
quit runnin so much Yeesh! LOL

Haha... I'm not even running as much as I used to, either... I am aware it's not ideal for strength or muscle growth, and I will cut back as needed, but I like to be fit, too.

Funky
08-15-11, 6:08 am
Haha... I'm not even running as much as I used to, either... I am aware it's not ideal for strength or muscle growth, and I will cut back as needed, but I like to be fit, too.

Run Forest Run! I say cardio up! Unless you are trying to gain weight then still hit cardio but not as much. Cardio is a neccessity period guys!

Appollonian
08-15-11, 7:53 am
5:10 AM 35 minute workout, bodyweight... don't really know; I wake up extremely thirsty, weigh 209-210. have a few glasses H2O, up to 212-213

Box Squat: warmups, 4x225, 4x285, 2x305, 4x275, 8x255
Superset/
Roman Chair Crunches: 4 sets 25x45lb
/Superset
Superset/
Seated cable rows: 4 sets 8-10
Glute Ham Raises: 3 sets 6-7
Hammer Curls: 4 sets 7-10
Superset/

Amazing (for me) workouts. I took advice I was given, put in the effort, and the results paid off. My first working 'warmup' was at 225 and I planned on hitting 255, but went for 285 and got 4 insstead. I felt strong, and figured if I hit 2-3 it would be a good set, then go down from there. 225 was a bit heavy, but thanks to the much more thorough warmup, 285 I felt great, so I figured that I could get one with 305. Instead, I got 2. At the end I thought I would get 4-5 at 255, but laid out 8 instead. Felt great.

Form was better than last week, though I didn't fully 'sit' on every rep at 285 or 305. And while I've technically hit 305 before, it was only 1 rep, and I've hit 285 for 4 reps before. And int past I didn't go deep enough at either weight, so both are PRs for me.

On a side note, GHR (glute ham raises) are pretty brutal. I am definitely weak in that area, and those will be a staple in my rotation.

All other exercises felt great, and though it doesn't look like it, there was slightly less volume than last week, and I didn't rush the main lift, either.

Appollonian
08-15-11, 7:59 am
Run Forest Run! I say cardio up! Unless you are trying to gain weight then still hit cardio but not as much. Cardio is a neccessity period guys!

I do believe it is, good sir.

Yeah, if I drop 0.5 to 1.5 mile per run, I would probably start gaining as I am just barely adding the lbs right now (maybe 1 lb a month at most, but with waterweight hard to tell).

Funky
08-15-11, 12:37 pm
5:10 AM 35 minute workout, bodyweight... don't really know; I wake up extremely thirsty, weigh 209-210. have a few glasses H2O, up to 212-213

Superset/
/Superset
Superset/
Superset/

Amazing (for me) workouts. I took advice I was given, put in the effort, and the results paid off. My first working 'warmup' was at 225 and I planned on hitting 255, but went for 285 and got 4 insstead. I felt strong, and figured if I hit 2-3 it would be a good set, then go down from there. 225 was a bit heavy, but thanks to the much more thorough warmup, 285 I felt great, so I figured that I could get one with 305. Instead, I got 2. At the end I thought I would get 4-5 at 255, but laid out 8 instead. Felt great.

Form was better than last week, though I didn't fully 'sit' on every rep at 285 or 305. And while I've technically hit 305 before, it was only 1 rep, and I've hit 285 for 4 reps before. And int past I didn't go deep enough at either weight, so both are PRs for me.

On a side note, GHR (glute ham raises) are pretty brutal. I am definitely weak in that area, and those will be a staple in my rotation.

All other exercises felt great, and though it doesn't look like it, there was slightly less volume than last week, and I didn't rush the main lift, either.

Your wake up weight before adding anything is your dry weight and the one that should be measured. Once you put anything in the weight can fluctuate a lot. I will lose 5 pounds from the time I go to bed til wake up every day. I drink a lot of water so that 5 pounds is probably all unsettled water/nutrients.

Good job on the workout bro!

Appollonian
08-15-11, 1:57 pm
Your wake up weight before adding anything is your dry weight and the one that should be measured. Once you put anything in the weight can fluctuate a lot. I will lose 5 pounds from the time I go to bed til wake up every day. I drink a lot of water so that 5 pounds is probably all unsettled water/nutrients.

Good job on the workout bro!

Gotcha... so take off 2-3 pounds from every entry I've made then. No problem, that just means my power to weight ratio is a little better than I thought.

Thanks for the words, Funky. Just trying to make things happen.

zachlloyd
08-15-11, 1:58 pm

Superset/
/Superset
Superset/
Superset/

Hell yea, nice work brother. Gratz on the PR's man. Once i get done with blood and guts I'm going to start using box squats instead of traditional since I need to work on my form. Thats badass, you felt strong and pushed it brother.

All that after running last night, sweet job. If i tried that after running the night before i would be suffering major. looks like i need to do more cardio haha

Bruiser
08-15-11, 5:52 pm
Congrats on the PR man. As far as weight goes, try just weighing yorself once a week. You'll get a more acurate reading that way.

Sprint
08-15-11, 8:20 pm
And hopefully one day we can hit up a gym together.

Yeah definitely man.

Necromatrix
08-15-11, 8:59 pm
You killed that wheel work. Nice! Congrats on the PRs.

Appollonian
08-16-11, 7:50 am
Hell yea, nice work brother. Gratz on the PR's man. Once i get done with blood and guts I'm going to start using box squats instead of traditional since I need to work on my form. Thats badass, you felt strong and pushed it brother.

All that after running last night, sweet job. If i tried that after running the night before i would be suffering major. looks like i need to do more cardio haha

Thank you zachlloyd! I like the box squat for the simple fact that I know when I've gone down far enough every rep on every set. It will be some time before I go back to regular squats, but when I do, I know I'll have better form through the whole rep. It was a combination of rest, proper warmup, fuel before the workout, and a 'I'm going to move this weight or fail trying' attitude (of course I'm realilistic, too. I would never do a weight I knew I couldn't handle, I was just happy with the form and getting 2 reps).

I used to run 4.5-5.0 miles, 4x a week, and that did get in the way of my lifts, but I've found that doing 3.5 mi 4x a week, with enough food, doesn't hurt, and the added stamina greatly helps. It doesn't have to be running, that's just the one kind of cardio I can dothat works for me that doesn't take too long.

Congrats on the PR man. As far as weight goes, try just weighing yorself once a week. You'll get a more acurate reading that way.

Thank you Bruiser!

Got it Bruiser. I give out the same advice all the time, but I have a HUGE problem following it.

Yeah definitely man.

Yup yup yup!

You killed that wheel work. Nice! Congrats on the PRs.

Thank you Necromatrix, I'm doing what I can. Maybe one of these days I'll match some of you guys on here...

smoothballer
08-16-11, 7:53 am
Huge Congrats on the PRs!!!!

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 7:54 am
Awesome job on the pr man. Dont worry about catching people (like you guys keep telling me!) just worry about yourself. You keep going up every week, it wont take long at all.

Appollonian
08-16-11, 10:20 am
Huge Congrats on the PRs!!!!

Thank you smoothballer! Trying to legitimately hit one each week on squats and bench press, either reps or weight. So far the squats are going good, but the bench is being a ****. I'll get it though, just a matter of time.

Appollonian
08-16-11, 10:22 am
Awesome job on the pr man. Dont worry about catching people (like you guys keep telling me!) just worry about yourself. You keep going up every week, it wont take long at all.

Thank you Solid Dreams!

You know the saying 'do as I say, not as I do', it's easy to give advice, even solid advice, but to follow your own advice is the hardest thing some days.

I know quite a bit of my weekly gains have been improvement to form, but I think some muscular strength gains are developing, too.

Funky
08-16-11, 10:25 am
Hows it going in here? You breaking stuff and all that?

Appollonian
08-16-11, 11:26 am
Hows it going in here? You breaking stuff and all that?

Haha, it's going Funky. Workout is tonight instead of this morning. My wife wanted to go, but pregnant her and 5 AM gym time don't mix, lol. Going to crush chest tonight, with her cheering me on, and a whole days worth of food in me, I'm ready to make it happen.

Funky
08-16-11, 11:27 am
Haha, it's going Funky. Workout is tonight instead of this morning. My wife wanted to go, but pregnant her and 5 AM gym time don't mix, lol. Going to crush chest tonight, with her cheering me on, and a whole days worth of food in me, I'm ready to make it happen.

Do the thing brother! Excited to be a father soon?! It is the best thing I ever did! I sent you a PM back about what you ask.....

Appollonian
08-16-11, 11:48 am
Going off of what I’ve said before, and what Bruiser said in his thread… and yeah, I’ve said it before, but I thought about it in a new way last night. *I was sad about it before, but now it steels my resolve to make progress instead of being OK with the status quo.
Over the past 10 years of lifting, I’ve tried multiple routines, different splits, different times per week, different time of day, etc. *I’ve bulked/gain and cut/lost with both great and terrible results. *Somewhere along the line, I started equating more volume (literally the pounds I moved, multiplied by the number of reps) with the key to achieving my goal of being the strongest, biggest, fittest me I can be.
To a point, it worked. *But eventually I stagnated in both strength and size gains. *Instead of making adjustments, simplifying, changing up, I just added more sets, drop sets, giant sets; whatever I could do in the shortest period of time to move more weight (not in terms of a higher weight lifted, just more volume).* I’ve come to the realization that what everyone says, that your body will adapt no matter how hard you beat it down, is true.
In just three weeks of changing my routine, I’ve made significant strength gains and form improvements in all my moves (with the exception of bench, but my form has improved dramatically at the weights I am moving) including squats, barbell rows, wide grip chins, upright barbell rows, and others.
I’m not an expert in this game, but I’ve seen and done some things that could let me lend some helpful advice to others.* First advice is safety first.* Second is form is king (basically, see first rule). *Third would be to keep it simple yet effective starting out. *If I could see the 18 year old me and tell him what I know now, things could be different now.* This is the point that had me down, but the awesome thing is it’s not too late, and I’m going to continue to make things happen with the time I’m given.

Sorry for the ramblings, but I wanted to clear my thread of any potentially negative things I may have said before.

Bruiser
08-16-11, 11:52 am
Way to see the problem and push through it man. Keep this attitude up and you'll reach all your goals.

Funky
08-16-11, 11:56 am
Going off of what I’ve said before, and what Bruiser said in his thread… and yeah, I’ve said it before, but I thought about it in a new way last night. *I was sad about it before, but now it steels my resolve to make progress instead of being OK with the status quo.
Over the past 10 years of lifting, I’ve tried multiple routines, different splits, different times per week, different time of day, etc. *I’ve bulked/gain and cut/lost with both great and terrible results. *Somewhere along the line, I started equating more volume (literally the pounds I moved, multiplied by the number of reps) with the key to achieving my goal of being the strongest, biggest, fittest me I can be.
To a point, it worked. *But eventually I stagnated in both strength and size gains. *Instead of making adjustments, simplifying, changing up, I just added more sets, drop sets, giant sets; whatever I could do in the shortest period of time to move more weight (not in terms of a higher weight lifted, just more volume).* I’ve come to the realization that what everyone says, that your body will adapt no matter how hard you beat it down, is true.
In just three weeks of changing my routine, I’ve made significant strength gains and form improvements in all my moves (with the exception of bench, but my form has improved dramatically at the weights I am moving) including squats, barbell rows, wide grip chins, upright barbell rows, and others.
I’m not an expert in this game, but I’ve seen and done some things that could let me lend some helpful advice to others.* First advice is safety first.* Second is form is king (basically, see first rule). *Third would be to keep it simple yet effective starting out. *If I could see the 18 year old me and tell him what I know now, things could be different now.* This is the point that had me down, but the awesome thing is it’s not too late, and I’m going to continue to make things happen with the time I’m given.

Sorry for the ramblings, but I wanted to clear my thread of any potentially negative things I may have said before.

It is your thread ramble on bro especially when it is good stuff!

Appollonian
08-16-11, 11:59 am
Do the thing brother! Excited to be a father soon?! It is the best thing I ever did! I sent you a PM back about what you ask.....

I am very excited! I can't wait for him to come, but I want him to go full term.

I replied, thank you!

MRmichael.hooker
08-16-11, 1:54 pm

Shit, we use Guns, Funkys, Mine, and Bruisers to ramble all day, everyday lol. Now we're getting a few more were all on. We need one giant super journey for the 8 or 9 of us lol. At least everyother word now isnt how much of a dick lover the other guy is lol. Bruiser needed a break from all the dicks

Appollonian
08-16-11, 4:50 pm

Sometimes I can put some thoughts to paper/screen, it's nice to have someone else read it and respond.

Shit, we use Guns, Funkys, Mine, and Bruisers to ramble all day, everyday lol. Now we're getting a few more were all on. We need one giant super journey for the 8 or 9 of us lol. At least everyother word now isnt how much of a dick lover the other guy is lol. Bruiser needed a break from all the dicks

Man, a super-journey. I see two problems: workouts would be hard to see among the back and forth, and then messages might get missed with all the 'corrections' going on. Other than that...

Funky
08-16-11, 9:16 pm
Sometimes I can put some thoughts to paper/screen, it's nice to have someone else read it and respond.

Man, a super-journey. I see two problems: workouts would be hard to see among the back and forth, and then messages might get missed with all the 'corrections' going on. Other than that...

Ok i put my super mega genius hat on and came up with..... I will start a thread in living called the super-mega thread and that is where we will all go to bs and shoot the shit, this way we keep bander in our journeys to a minimum and we have a super secret club with a cool hand shake that hooker will make up on a day he did not play with himself! Tada!!

Necromatrix
08-16-11, 9:50 pm
Ok i put my super mega genius hat on and came up with..... I will start a thread in living called the super-mega thread and that is where we will all go to bs and shoot the shit, this way we keep bander in our journeys to a minimum and we have a super secret club with a cool hand shake that hooker will make up on a day he did not play with himself! Tada!!

Lmfao! Not sure I wanna know the initiation ritual to get into this club...

Appollonian
08-16-11, 10:10 pm

Lol... Link kind sir?

Appollonian
08-16-11, 10:18 pm
And the banter doesn't have to end, but centrally located no one would miss anything... or I guess they could miss it all if that's there deal.

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 10:22 pm
I think there is one of those, they merged hooker's "stop being assholes and hitting motorcyclists" thread into it.

Appollonian
08-16-11, 10:39 pm
I think there is one of those, they merged hooker's "stop being assholes and hitting motorcyclists" thread into it.

The off topic thread... that's where we end up if we go off... good point SD.

Appollonian
08-16-11, 11:17 pm
7:35 PM 40 minute workout

Barbell Bench Press: 4 warmup sets 3-10 reps per, 5x225, 3+1 (rested)x235, 1x245, 0 0x255, 2x225
Barbell Bench Press: 5 sets 9-10x175lb
Close grip bench press: 3 sets 7-10
Lateral Shoulder Raise: 4 sets 6-10
Tricep cable pressdown: 3 sets 10-15 (very strict movement)
Reverse crunches: 4 sets 30
Roman Chair obliques: 1 set 40 per side

Got in all fired and fueled up, warmed up nicely, and then hit 225 for a solidly planted 5 reps. 235 was much more solid then last time, and 245 was solid, too. Technically these are all PRs for me, because I've done more but the form was not nearly as good then as it was today. The 255 was ambitious, and with a spot would've made a nice forced rep, but just couldn't get it up on my own. No problem, I had an awesome feeling workout.

Bruiser
08-17-11, 6:20 am

I'm not shaking his hand unless I get a Hazmat suit first!!

Funky
08-17-11, 7:47 am
The Super-Mega Thread

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?36918-Super-Mega-Thread&p=1145348#post1145348

Appollonian
08-17-11, 7:55 am
5:25 AM 20 minute workout, bodyweight ~209

Superset/
Speed Squat: 8 sets of 3x155
Wide Grip Chins: 20xbw,9x(bodyweight + 45 lb plate) 2 sets 13-15 (bodyweight + 15 lb)
- THEN -
Bentover barbell rows rows: 4 sets 6-10 reps
/Superset
Superset/
Barbell curls: 3 sets 6-10
Roman Chair crunch: 4 sets 30x45 lb plate
Muay Thai knee raises: 2 sets 40/side
/Superset

Scheduling recquired another back to back to back workout, so today was speed squats, and they felt good. All of my movements were more powerful than last week, so there are absolutely no complaints.

I was going to run a bit, but I left my house with just enough time to hit the workout and cardio, but got to the gym, and then realized (as I was nearly falling asleep in the gym parking lot) that I hadn't taken my Rage! To make matters worse, it was on the counter, where my cats could get to it! F*** me! Drove home, slammed the Rage, drove back with enough time to grind out the session. A little PM cardio tonight in my neighborhood will toughen me up, no problems.

And Bruiser, thank you so much for reminding/telling me about the Muay Thai knee raises. I love them. They give me the burn where I need it in my obliques, and it's helping me with my flexibility/explosiveness too that I haven't had since I practiced martial arts. I used to be flexible and quick for a 6'4" person.

On another note, my mind is at war with itself on whether to continue with this routine for another 4 weeks then go 5/3/1, or jump on 5/3/1 next week. On one hand I want to see this through, but on the other hand, my gym doesn't have the chains, bands, or other equipment that would give me some more flexibility within the WS template I have selected... more research before next week.

Also thinking about putting the Storm with the Rage and taking that pre-workout, then taking the creatine post. Thoughts?

Appollonian
08-17-11, 7:56 am
I'm not shaking his hand unless I get a Hazmat suit first!!

More like the suit from 'Aliens' were she battles the queen...

Funky
08-17-11, 7:58 am
More like the suit from 'Aliens' were she battles the queen...

The robot suit that was the shiznit!

Necromatrix
08-17-11, 8:49 am
Damn, back to back sessions. Sick! Congrats on the bench PRs. Great work all the way through.

No real usefull input on whether to switch routines or not... But gotta say, 5/3/1 is awesomesauce!

Funky
08-17-11, 9:00 am
Damn, back to back sessions. Sick! Congrats on the bench PRs. Great work all the way through.

No real usefull input on whether to switch routines or not... But gotta say, 5/3/1 is awesomesauce!

awesomesauce!

Sprint
08-17-11, 9:02 am
I'd have loved you to come home to a house of Ragin' cats ripping shit out of the furniture

Appollonian
08-17-11, 9:57 am

Not an ideal situation doing sessions so close, but life outside of the gym dictates my gym time; I can either wimp out or due work, and every person on the Forvm is going to due work every time.

It was the best benching session I've ever had bar none. I listened to what everyone here said on my thread and others, did more research, and had a great session.

I'm doing research about 5/3/1, I just need to think about my plan of attack.

awesomesauce!

Is that edible? LOL

I'd have loved you to come home to a house of Ragin' cats ripping shit out of the furniture

LOL

My cats can already cause trouble, but usually don't break anything (anymore). As kittens, anything in the house that could easily tip over and break did, not because they were trying to break it, just because they loved playing and chasing eachother; still do, just less so and fewer easily broken things in the house.

I did imagine a devastated room, with anything at 6 feet or lower annihilated...

Necromatrix
08-17-11, 10:47 am
I'm doing research about 5/3/1, I just need to think about my plan of attack.

That's the other thing I like about 5/3/1, there's so much to play around with. I like what I've come up with for myself, but time will tell if it works.

Funky
08-17-11, 11:04 am
That's the other thing I like about 5/3/1, there's so much to play around with. I like what I've come up with for myself, but time will tell if it works.

ok you two if you change it and it does not work it was not the program just so you know! Stick with the 5/3/1 which ever template you decide to run and do it as directed you will get more gains this way. If you feel you do not get enough in do the boring but big and if you live through it, you will be strong and bigger!

Appollonian
08-17-11, 11:22 am
ok you two if you change it and it does not work it was not the program just so you know! Stick with the 5/3/1 which ever template you decide to run and do it as directed you will get more gains this way. If you feel you do not get enough in do the boring but big and if you live through it, you will be strong and bigger!

Funky, why you coming at me bro? Seriously, by plan of attack I meant when I will start BBB 5/3/1 and how many cycles to go before I try another 5/3/1 template.

Funky
08-17-11, 11:32 am
Funky, why you coming at me bro? Seriously, by plan of attack I meant when I will start BBB 5/3/1 and how many cycles to go before I try another 5/3/1 template.

There is no need, unless you can't stay north of VAG..... LOL I was giving you guys shit I do that sometimes LOL

I think Jim answered that in the book. He said something like and this is not a direct quote. In order to get the most out any 5/3/1 template you need to do at least 5 or 6 cycles, or go until you plateau. Then once you plateau redo your 1RM and start over. So to answer your question, if you start light using the BBB and use your accessories to fill gaps in your main lifts, you will continue to get stronger period.....

I have watched many great lifters fail at the 5/3/1 because they did not use the accessories to build on their weakness they just picked the ones they liked. If you need help with picking accessories I will gladly help I think it is one of the most important thing that will help you grow!

I hope I answered your question in my rambling somewhere if not ask it again LOL

Funky
08-17-11, 11:57 am
I need to rant more sorry

Be sure before you start to spend a week getting your real maxes. I did not do this last year and my lifts suffered until I figured it out. No matter how low or high they end up get your real max weights for all the 4 lifts.

Necromatrix
08-17-11, 11:58 am

Oh, no doubt at all. I ran 5/3/1 "by the book" for a while, then started playing doctor with it. I ommitted the deload all together. I specifically picked accessories that would help improve the main lifts (along with some suggestions from Coach Smash!). My current plan invloves trying to get "more" form the accessory work. So week one is hypertrophy work, week two slow / forced negatives and week three is max effort.

Funky
08-17-11, 12:02 pm
Oh, no doubt at all. I ran 5/3/1 "by the book" for a while, then started playing doctor with it. I ommitted the deload all together. I specifically picked accessories that would help improve the main lifts (along with some suggestions from Coach Smash!). My current plan invloves trying to get "more" form the accessory work. So week one is hypertrophy work, week two slow / forced negatives and week three is max effort.

The smart way to do it is start with accessories that will help you get past sticking points you know you have. Most people do not learn that until later. If you start it like this you have less weaknesses to go to Coach Bryan with needing help LOL

Appollonian
08-17-11, 12:29 pm
I need to rant more sorry

Be sure before you start to spend a week getting your real maxes. I did not do this last year and my lifts suffered until I figured it out. No matter how low or high they end up get your real max weights for all the 4 lifts.

Bro, rant away! Share the Funky knowledge!

Last night I figured out my current good form bench max, monday I fugured out a double I could handle for squats, and for deadlifts and overhead press I tried a month or so ago.

Of all these, I am weak as f*** on my standing military press, and instead of wimping out, I'm going to tackle it head on.

Funky
08-17-11, 12:33 pm
Bro, rant away! Share the Funky knowledge!

Last night I figured out my current good form bench max, monday I fugured out a double I could handle for squats, and for deadlifts and overhead press I tried a month or so ago.

Of all these, I am weak as f*** on my standing military press, and instead of wimping out, I'm going to tackle it head on.

Try right before you start again so you will have clean numbers, a month or so is not now. But we can use what you know now to get you set up. On each one tell me where you get stuck when you get more weight on than you can lift? IE bench either coming off chest or 4-6 inches off chest. deads is it off the floor or past the knees. Shoulder press is it bottom or lock out. Squats coming out of the hole or lock out.

Big thing is putting on more than you can lift so you get stuck if you do not know where...

Appollonian
08-17-11, 1:04 pm
Try right before you start again so you will have clean numbers, a month or so is not now. But we can use what you know now to get you set up. On each one tell me where you get stuck when you get more weight on than you can lift? IE bench either coming off chest or 4-6 inches off chest. deads is it off the floor or past the knees. Shoulder press is it bottom or lock out. Squats coming out of the hole or lock out.

Big thing is putting on more than you can lift so you get stuck if you do not know where...

Because I believe in you Funky, and because 'doing it my way' hasn't gotten me to my goals in all these years, next week will be my 'max attempt' week, then following that will be week 1 of my first legit 5/3/1 cycle.

As for the sticking points, here you go:

Bench press: My sticking point is off the chest. Last night I got 245 down, the first 6 inches was really hard, but after that locking out was much easier. The 255 failed at my chest, and I couldn't get it to the safety bars without lifting my butt off the bench and yelling... I could probably do lockouts with 260 or even maybe a little heavier if I was fresh.

1RM (estimate): 250 - 255 lb

Squats: My sticking/problem area has been out of the hole. I could 1/4 squat more than I can go to/slightly below parallel. My gym doesn't have a proper power rack, so doing an all out, fail and die type rep without a trusty spotter just isn't going to happen, so next week I'll test out a weight a bit higher than what I did this week.

1RM (estimate): 315 lb

Deadlifts: With my lower back as sensitive as it is, I don't usuaslly go any lower than 5-6 reps, but maybe with the new proper warmups you guys have instructed me on, and the fact that I won't be doing deads on the same days as squats, and maybe I can take it to the lower rep range. From what I remember, when I failed at my heavier lifts it was after I got it past my knees...

I've got another problem with deadlifts though, and it's my fault from doing them for years from what I thought was right as opposed to watching someone who knows how to do them. I've got monkey arms and when I do deadlifts, I basically do half normal, half SLDL. I bend my knees, but not nearly as much as some other people I've seen do on videos. My arms let me get away with this by allowing just bending at the hips to give me the ROM to let the weights touch the floor...

1RM (estimate): 375 - 405 (I really have no clue what I can hit)

Standing Military Press: Very, very weak with these, so much so that for the longest time I've avoided them, but no longer. My sticking point is definitely from the bottom. If I do half reps at just the top portion, I can get significantly more weight than a full ROM.

1RM (estimate): 135 (Sad, but a combination of flexible shoulders that tend to go under a lot of stress in this move and lack of experience in the move, this might be all I can get)

Appollonian
08-17-11, 1:06 pm
There is no need, unless you can't stay north of VAG..... LOL I was giving you guys shit I do that sometimes LOL

I think Jim answered that in the book. He said something like and this is not a direct quote. In order to get the most out any 5/3/1 template you need to do at least 5 or 6 cycles, or go until you plateau. Then once you plateau redo your 1RM and start over. So to answer your question, if you start light using the BBB and use your accessories to fill gaps in your main lifts, you will continue to get stronger period.....

I have watched many great lifters fail at the 5/3/1 because they did not use the accessories to build on their weakness they just picked the ones they liked. If you need help with picking accessories I will gladly help I think it is one of the most important thing that will help you grow!

I hope I answered your question in my rambling somewhere if not ask it again LOL

Yeah, I haven't finished reading the book yet... will this weekend though. Looking forward to what accessories you think I need, bro.

Funky
08-17-11, 1:41 pm
Lets tackle these one at a time I will pull from what you said then talk through it.

Fore each lift do your main 6 sets then on your 5 for the BBB step down in weight to what you can do 10 times not paused reps but touch and go. Then go for the 5 sets. At first you may not get all the reps of each set do as many as you can

Bench press: My sticking point is off the chest. Last night I got 245 down, the first 6 inches was really hard, but after that locking out was much easier. The 255 failed at my chest, and I couldn't get it to the safety bars without lifting my butt off the bench and yelling... I could probably do lockouts with 260 or even maybe a little heavier if I was fresh.

When you get stuck at the bottom of bench you have a weak upper back and chest. Sounds like your triceps are strong but we need to work on more chest and lat stuff.
my recommendations:
Superset Chins with bench and Standing shoulder press.
Incline DB Heavy as you can get 8-10 do 3 sets.
Decline Press BB heavy as you can for 10, should be about what you did for bench on the 5 sets.
DB flys not too heavy you want 15 deep stretch controlled these will hurt.

Squats: My sticking/problem area has been out of the hole. I could 1/4 squat more than I can go to/slightly below parallel. My gym doesn't have a proper power rack, so doing an all out, fail and die type rep without a trusty spotter just isn't going to happen, so next week I'll test out a weight a bit higher than what I did this week.

go super light so instead of using 90% of max for training max use 82%. This will help you mentally get over the bad rack until your muscles are strong enough you do not care.
My recommendations for accessories:
Superset dips with Squats and Dead lifts go for 12-15 per set for 6 sets with main lifts. This will make sure your triceps stay strong.
Front Squats a weight you can hit 10 with perfect form do 3 sets.
Good Mornings make sure you do them right stiff leg no squat motion 10x3sets
Leg Curls 15x3sets

Deadlifts: With my lower back as sensitive as it is, I don't usuaslly go any lower than 5-6 reps, but maybe with the new proper warmups you guys have instructed me on, and the fact that I won't be doing deads on the same days as squats, and maybe I can take it to the lower rep range. From what I remember, when I failed at my heavier lifts it was after I got it past my knees...

Getting stuck around knees means weak hams and glutes. The GM will help both dead lift and squats.
Recommendations:
BO Row heavy as hell 6x3sets
Pulldowns heavy 10x3sets
Glute ham raises 10x3sets

Standing Military Press: Very, very weak with these, so much so that for the longest time I've avoided them, but no longer. My sticking point is definitely from the bottom. If I do half reps at just the top portion, I can get significantly more weight than a full ROM.

Your shoulders and back need to set strong recommendations:
Kroc Rows 20x3sets
Front Raises 12x3sets
Side Raises 12x3sets
Rear Ext 10x3sets

The way I would recommend doing them weekly is Mon Bench, Tue Deadlift, Wed Cardio, Thurs Shoulders, Fri Legs. Several reasons I say do it this way, and why I myself do. You need a day of cardio no more than that until you get used to this it is going to be tough and your body must recover. It will separate the lifts where you can get the most out of each day. Chest is opposite back then break shoulders then legs then huge break. Your legs are going to hurt the most and you will need the 2 days off to recover. Sometimes my legs still hurt on monday just so you know.

If you have any questions just ask and if I was not clear let me know!

Cellardweller
08-17-11, 4:14 pm

LOL. You come home and your cats have that crazy look like House in the ads ... and you're just a big cat toy to them ... for hours.

Make a weakness into a strength. Smash it bro!!!

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 4:27 pm
App'd come on and be like "No workout today...cats beat me up..."

Appollonian
08-17-11, 4:45 pm
OK Funky, awesome information. Now I have a few questions to shoot your way.

My understanding of BBB is the main lift for 5/3/1/deload, then stepdown for 5 sets of 10, then an accessory for 3 sets of however many reps prescribed. Are you saying for each of the days, I do the superset with the 5/3/1 sets, or for the stepdown sets?

Second question, are you saying that I do all the accesory work for each workout, or choose just one and roll with it for a few weeks?

These are probably answered in the book I'm reading, I'm just eager to know right now...

And I would send you a PM, but this place is all about shared knowledege...

I'm sure I'll have more, but with what you've told me, I'm nearly ready for this to start.

Funky
08-17-11, 4:55 pm
OK Funky, awesome information. Now I have a few questions to shoot your way.

My understanding of BBB is the main lift for 5/3/1/deload, then stepdown for 5 sets of 10, then an accessory for 3 sets of however many reps prescribed. Are you saying for each of the days, I do the superset with the 5/3/1 sets, or for the stepdown sets?

Second question, are you saying that I do all the accesory work for each workout, or choose just one and roll with it for a few weeks?

These are probably answered in the book I'm reading, I'm just eager to know right now...

And I would send you a PM, but this place is all about shared knowledege...

I'm sure I'll have more, but with what you've told me, I'm nearly ready for this to start.

I am blending the BBB with some thing I read in the PL book with the supersets. You do them starting with your first main lift warm up. So you have 3 warm ups and 3 working sets for 6 sets which will be superset with your main lifts.

You do all the accessory work I put down on the day I put it down for. I bet you can stick with this routine for 7-8 cycles before needing to change any accessories. When you start to feel your sticking point is changing then we readjust. If it is working just keep adding the weight and get strong!

Appollonian
08-17-11, 5:02 pm
LOL. You come home and your cats have that crazy look like House in the ads ... and you're just a big cat toy to them ... for hours.

Make a weakness into a strength. Smash it bro!!!

My cats can be fierce... I learned the hard way trying to manhandle the male when he was getting shots... never again.

I'm ready to do this!

App'd come on and be like "No workout today...cats beat me up..."

Man... there was a time when that was true... the 'incident at the vets office' as I call it when I tried to hold him still when he was getting his shots... so called 'cat scratch fever' is nothing to laugh at.

Appollonian
08-17-11, 5:03 pm
I am blending the BBB with some thing I read in the PL book with the supersets. You do them starting with your first main lift warm up. So you have 3 warm ups and 3 working sets for 6 sets which will be superset with your main lifts.

You do all the accessory work I put down on the day I put it down for. I bet you can stick with this routine for 7-8 cycles before needing to change any accessories. When you start to feel your sticking point is changing then we readjust. If it is working just keep adding the weight and get strong!

Funky, you are too kind bro. I'm ready to do this big time. Next week we see my actual 1RM, then after that the madness begins... I can't wait till people look at me and say 'holy ****, what are you on!?'.

Funky
08-17-11, 5:08 pm
Funky, you are too kind bro. I'm ready to do this big time. Next week we see my actual 1RM, then after that the madness begins... I can't wait till people look at me and say 'holy ****, what are you on!?'.

When you do your maxes to get the most out of them do like a super lightx5 med lightx3 mediumx3 heavyx2 then singles only go until you have no more to give!

You should take before photos so next year we can look back and fully appreciate the work you put in!

Sprint
08-17-11, 5:48 pm
You should take before photos so next year we can look back and fully appreciate the work you put in!

X2 Looking back through pics from a year or 2 ago is an awesome way of seeing progress

Appollonian
08-17-11, 8:11 pm
Came to the gym, had some steam to blow off from work, so I wanted to see my non fresh 1RM was on standing military press and deadlift are.

Standing military: 1x135
Deadlift: 1x365

Run (track): 3.75 mile 28:28

Pre: Monster lo carb

Next week will be the real deal and not just anger.

Bruiser
08-17-11, 8:15 pm
Came to the gym, had some steam to blow off from work, so I wanted to see my non fresh 1RM was on standing military press and deadlift are.

Standing military: 1x135
Deadlift: 1x365

Run (track): 3.75 mile 28:28

Pre: Monster lo carb

Next week will be the real deal and not just anger.

Anger or not, looks damn good to me!