PDA

View Full Version : Running Down a Dream

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Solid Dreams
07-20-11, 4:09 pm
Basically, I'm one of those "has-been" guys you see at the gym, although I try not to lament what I did in the past and compare it to now (out loud, at least). I've been sitting on my ass, getting fatter and fatter, and finally I decided that enough was enough, that my job at UPS doing irreg wasnt enough, and that dammit I need to get in shape.

I started at 285ish, and now I'm at 250 with 22% body fat. I'm 6'2.

I found out about Animal from bb.com when I was googling exercise workouts, and stumbled upon http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak78.htm.

My split so far has been:

Sunday: Chest
Monday: Shoulders
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Arms
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Back
Saturday: Off

My diet has been crap, but when my cycle of cuts wears off I'm going to try it again with the ketogenic diet that Ox has been vouching, at least in the first 40 something pages of his monster thread that I read while being a pain in the ass to the U-Reps trying to get me activated.

I first tried this stack:

Animal Pak/Omega/Stak/Cuts, and I cut a lot of weight off even though I didnt follow the diet really well. I've noticed getting stronger, but I'm not sure how well the stak is helping me. What I have noticed is that I feel better than I have since I was in high school!

When I start my next cycle, I'm thinking about trying Pak/Nitro/Pump/Omega/Cuts/uni-liver, and trying out rage a few times.

I'm sort of worried because I never used creatine before, so I don't really know what to expect when I start it up.

Hopefully I'll keep building while I cut this unneccessary poundage off!

Solid Dreams
07-21-11, 12:21 am
Did arms today.

Did a warm up set of dips, 2x12.

Then I went into the bb.com workout, starting with 50 x15 on tri cable push downs, and 55 x 15 on barbell curls (I know its not ez bars but I read bb is better...) If any of my weights seem high then I'm probably doing them wrong :P I had a hell of a time with these, because everytime I'd move away the kids who were doing ab work on the machines would move the grip around and the damn barbell I used was broken. Everyone and their mother was doing bench press and the only other bar there was someone had left 495 on it, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna unrack someone's weight.

then, onto regular:

65 x 12, 65 x 12
80 x 10, 85 x 10
100 x 10 105 x 10
115 x 6 (dropped to 100 to finish up) 110 x 5 (dropped to 105 for the last 3)
then drop setted 80/65/50x8 and 85/65/55x8.

Did close grip bench and machine preacher curls next,
185 x 10, 95 x 12
195 x 10, 125 x 12
205 x 10, 140 x 12
then drop setted in reverse what i did before.

Did seated dips (and this is the one that I'm sure I'm doing wrong) and seated db curls:
270 x 12, 35 x 10
320 x 12, 40 x 10
340 x12, 45 x 10

Then I did a nose breaker/close grip bb super set of 85 x12/20, and a dumbbell set of ...I have no clue what you call it, I curl into the center of my chest, then hammer curls, then regular bicep curls, 10 times each with 35 pounds.

By this time my arms are feeling like theyre going to fall off, so I went and rolled out some calf raises.

did seated calf raises with 180 for 3 sets of 20, and standing with 400 3 sets of 20.

knocked out 25 minutes of cardio because I was running late from fighting with people over equipment.

Solid Dreams
07-22-11, 12:53 am
I lost seven pounds at work today, sweating my ass off, so I was already coming into the gym feeling like shit.

Did legs today.

Did 15 minutes on the bike to warm my legs up, then did squats:

135 x 10 for warm up
225 x 10
315 x 5 x 5, I thought about bumping it up but I didnt want to risk hurting myself with no spot.

Went to straight legged deadlifts,

135 x 10 for warm up
225 x 10
225 x 5 then i stopped because I wasnt feeling it anymore.

Did leg press:

540 x 10
630 x 10
720 x 10
810 x 10

then I did 1000 just to stroke my ego.

Did this weird squat machine thing where you face in and it hits your hams because I did so bad on the deadlifts, with

360 x 10
450 x 8
540 x 6
630 x 6

By this time I was ready to freakin puke, so I just knocked out a quick set of calf raises standing and seated, then did my leg extensions with:

3 sets of 230 x 10.

I do have a question for you guys, do you have any quick pick me ups thatll work if you sweat a ton before going into the gym? Some days I'm just exhausted, I feel like crawling into a hole and dying but I keep on pushing.

Bruiser
07-22-11, 7:19 am
I do have a question for you guys, do you have any quick pick me ups thatll work if you sweat a ton before going into the gym? Some days I'm just exhausted, I feel like crawling into a hole and dying but I keep on pushing.

You need to stay hydrated throughout the day. When you're battling with the heat like so many of us are this week, you gotta keep drinking water all day. If you get dehydrated or heat exhaustion there's no quick fix. Keep a couple quarts of water with you at work. It's better to drink warm water than none. Just be sure to stay away from any drinks with a lot of sugars in them.

Solid Dreams
07-22-11, 8:13 am
Ah, I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that.

I've been drinking 6-7 32 oz gatorade bottles of water every day before work and then I'm drinking 3-4 (as much as they'll let me get away with) during. I think that I'm going to have to start sucking it up and going during the morning, because work right now is wiping me out.

Solid Dreams
07-23-11, 1:11 am
Did back today, and boy did I hate every second of it.

I started off with machine pullovers, did a quick warm up set of 150 12 times then did 4 failure sets of 12, 9, 9, 10 with 240.

Went to the closegrip pulldowns (and that was a damn hassle, they only have two cable style pulldowns so I had to jury rig them together) and did 50 for a warm up set of 12, then 110 for 6 and realized "oh man thats freakin heavy", dropped to 80 and did 12, went back up to 90 and did 10, then tried 100 and hit 6 and stopped, while pulling down and squeezing tight.

Went and did some barbell rows, warmed up with 90 12 times with each arm then went to 120, pumped out 15 on my right and....8 with my left, what the hell. Got 10 each time for the next two sets at least.

Did wide grip (well, sort of, I only had a half assed middle bar for "wide") rows, did a warm up set of 150, then did 200 8 times, 190 10 times, 180 12 times, and then 200 another 8 times.

Thought "Hell yeah I'm feeling this, I'm doing great!" and went to do deadlifts, doing warm ups with 135 12 times for 2 sets just to make sure I'm doing the form (which I think I was!). After this I slapped on 225, repped that out, then did 315.

This is where I went to hell. I couldnt hold the damn bar, and when I could I couldnt lock it out repeatedly. I did this goofy shit 4 times, then I dropped to 275 and kept trucking, doing 8 times, but the failure with 315 is really sticking with me.

After this I went to smith machine lat pulldowns, doing 90 and 100 x 12 in sloooow motion.

I did T-bar rows, not even attempting bent over rows, with a 45, 90, and 135 for sets of 10.

Jumped onto the treadmill and did a halfassed cardio attempt, lasted 20 minutes, then did the rope climber machine at highest intensity for 6 sets of 40 seconds.

Then just to try to get that pump that I dont get, I went and did mid rows with 160, repping it 20 times.

Then I came home and whined on the forums about how I hate back.

Bruiser
07-23-11, 7:04 am
HAHAHA... just remember that we're here to listen to you whine. Well.... not all the time. LOL Hey man, you hate back days but still push through them and crush them. I think it's safe to say that we all have body parts we'd rather not train, and to go in an crush it like you do says a lot ab out your character.

You've been talking aobut lack of pump. I know you mentioned the heat (it got down into double digits her last night!!) and hydration earlier. Are you staying hydrated? Only four things will cause a lack of pump when training.
1. Not warming up to get the blood pumping
2. Lack of intensity and/or volume
3. Not enough carbs preWO
4. Not enough water

It sounds like you've got the first two under control, so I would look into adding more carbs/water pre and intraWO. See if that helps. Have a good weekend.

Sprint
07-23-11, 7:42 am
Try cutting down rest times between sets, that always bumps da pumps.

How can you not like back day??!!

*eyes you suspiciously*

Bruiser
07-23-11, 8:36 am
Like Sprint said, shorten your rest periods. That should help for sure. I hate sitting around waiting between sets, which is why I started doing supersets and giant sets. If you've got your diet, hydration, rest periods dialed in, then all I can think of is trying giant and supersets. If they don't help, I don't know what to tell you. Let me know how all this sounds to you. Good luck

Solid Dreams
07-23-11, 9:02 am
I hate waiting as well, when I'm in the gym I'm usually tapping my foot for 30 seconds between sets.

I try to do supersets if I'm working out, but sometimes it's hard to swing because there's people in my way.

I've been staying hydrated, I think, but I think one of my problems is I basically work at UPS for my shift doing irregs (which is shifting everything that's 75+ lbs around), come home and eat something really quick, then roll to the gym within an hour, so I'm not sure if I'm recuperating before I hit the weights.

I hate back days because I fail at dead lifts, and I cannot stand not being able to do something correctly!

(same goes for stiff legged deads and squats to a degree!)

Solid Dreams
07-23-11, 10:43 am
I have what may be a stupid question.

If I get someone to record me doing squats/deads/stiff deads/bent over rows, would you guys watch and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with my form?

Bruiser
07-23-11, 11:01 am
I have what may be a stupid question.

If I get someone to record me doing squats/deads/stiff deads/bent over rows, would you guys watch and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with my form?

Or... you could pay to fly me to NC...

Cellardweller
07-23-11, 12:07 pm
Welcome Solid. My Journey started out alot like yours. You're throwing around some good weights for just getting back. Don't be afraid to ask anything here and definitly post up a vid. I'd do it on the training main page and you'll get lots of good input on your form.

Solid Dreams
07-23-11, 8:28 pm
Awesome, sounds good.

I dont know about you guys but I'm super pumped because I'm actually sore after my back workout, which means I finally did something right. I hope this is soreness, not "oh fuck oh fuck i killed my back". I have had the hardest time feeling sore, and to me, if you aren't sore, then you're not working hard enough. Usually if I do the calf set that I say, and then some cardio, I feel it in my legs, but otherwise...

Bruiser
07-24-11, 8:52 am
Awesome, sounds good.

I dont know about you guys but I'm super pumped because I'm actually sore after my back workout, which means I finally did something right. I hope this is soreness, not "oh fuck oh fuck i killed my back". I have had the hardest time feeling sore, and to me, if you aren't sore, then you're not working hard enough. Usually if I do the calf set that I say, and then some cardio, I feel it in my legs, but otherwise...

That's awesome bro. I found the mind muscle connection with the back to be the hardest for me. If you're getting sore that means you're hitting it right.

PORTERHOUSE
07-24-11, 12:58 pm
Awesome, sounds good.

Getting sore is definitely a good thing, but don't dwell on it too much. Some muscle groups for me (chest,legs,triceps) get sore almost every time I train them. Back/Shoulders, it's very rare for me to be able to get soreness out of them no matter how hard I go. My back is and always has been one of my best features, and my shoulders used to be a weak spot for me, but this year I've brought them up considerably in strength and shape on all heads to the point I would no longer list them as a lagging group, and I'm pretty sure I've never felt any direct soreness in my shoulders.

so moral of the story: don't feel like you failed if you aren't sore. It's exciting when you get sore in one of those spots that's difficult to, but as long as your training progressively and intensely, and you're diet is rolling, then you're going to grow.

Solid Dreams
07-24-11, 8:37 pm
Thanks porterhouse, I tend to push myself too hard sometimes I think. Then there are days when I dont and I really feel like crap!

Woke up today feelin mopey cause it's my birthday and my dad's pulling some bullshit where he told my family not to do anything unless I go see him (because he's king of the world, right?)

Then I get a call at 9:30 in the morning, where my 85 year old grandfather, on my mom's side, who barely remembers what he did the day before, called and wanted to talk to me because "it's my grandson's birthday, and that's important to me."

There are days when God* kicks you right square in the face when you start feeling bad for yourself.

Went to the gym and rolled out my chest, did 5 sets of incline, 5 sets of regular, and 5 sets of decline at 10 (or to failure), some sort of lying smith machine bench, then tried some of the pec deck which I didnt really feel despite PUSH WITH YA ELBOWWWWS and some cross overs.

did:
50 for a warm up
65 10
75 10
85 10
95 (woo personal best) 8
90 12

then on to the regular!
I mostly piffled my way through this, I started with 70 and I ended with 80, but I was really feeling it from incline so maybe that counts as an excuse?

Did

80 on decline. racked out 15 of these and felt my head start to swim and figured I'd done enough.

Put 320 on the smith machine thing and did 2 sets of 12, I was shaking so hard by the time I finished this I decided to skip the third set.

Did 150 on the pec deck, trying to figure out wtf to do.

Then did 25 30 35 on the cross overs, although I think that my last set I was hitting shoulders more so I stopped at 10.

God, Jehovah, Yahweh, insert your religious preference or maybe the Universe here

Bruiser
07-24-11, 8:49 pm
Happy Birthday bro.

Solid Dreams
07-26-11, 11:21 am
I'm taking a week off from lifting while I try to get my diet in check, which seems like a huge hassle to me.

So I'm not going to bore you, assume I'm doing 20-30 minutes of cardio a day and some ab work.

I have to say, I got this smart balance natty PB that's chunky, and it's reminding me just how much I hate PB.

If I'm doing carb cycling, I guess I need to find out how to add my oats to my shakes. I thought about getting the pro and oats, but I'm unsure of having a carby shake while I attempt to do the damn thing, since I think that'd fuck up my low carb days.

Cellardweller
07-27-11, 2:15 pm
Happy birthday. Good luck with the diet. I'm usually good for a few days then it all falls apart for me. Usually it's poor planning, not being prepared.

Sprint
07-27-11, 7:37 pm
[QUOTE=Solid Dreams;1137384]

I have to say, I got this smart balance natty PB that's chunky, and it's reminding ** **** *** **** * **** PB.

QUOTE]

This, my friend, is blasphemy.

So I've censored it for you.

Bruiser
07-27-11, 7:39 pm
I have to say, I got this smart balance natty PB that's chunky, and it's reminding ** **** *** **** * **** PB.

This, my friend, is blasphemy.

So I've censored it for you.

Hahahaha... nice Sprint. I love it!!! I love it like I love PB! LOL

Sprint
07-27-11, 7:40 pm
Hahahaha... nice Sprint. I love it!!! I love it like I love PB! LOL

Just thinking about PB has got me salivating!

Solid Dreams
07-27-11, 7:43 pm
I think its just cause its crunchy.

Got sent home early, which sucks, because that's basically my second workout/cardio session, so I hopped on the treadmill and cranked out another session of HIIT and some walking.

Because we cant let Bruiser do ALL the cardio, right?

Bruiser
07-27-11, 7:47 pm

Got sent home early, which sucks, because that's basically my second workout/cardio session, so I hopped on the treadmill and cranked out another session of HIIT and some walking.

That's the spirit!! LOL I figure 2 hours a day is good for me, so I'll let you take over....

Sprint
07-27-11, 7:48 pm

Got my cardio tomorrow in the form of my usual Thursday evening track session.

Crunchy PB, that's stopped me salivating.

And got me aroused.

Solid Dreams
07-27-11, 7:49 pm
See what I do at work is, I basically move any box that's over 75+ pounds or wider than 3 feet onto carts then pull the carts around to where other people can take care of it. So I get my "oh shit oh shit im gonna get backed out fffff" and my heavy lifting when some jackhole ships something that weighs 150 pounds in a gigantic box...for about 4-5 hours a day.

So I'm poor, but I'm getting great exercise.

Solid Dreams
07-28-11, 3:02 pm
Warmed up today with 10 minutes on the bike, then did my lifts so I could get mocked in my new thread: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?36783-I-can-t-quot-X-quot-...

then I rolled through another 20 minutes of cardio with some walk/jog variation. Hit my abs today with leg lifts, weighted crunches, and some sort of weird "lay on the ball and hold the handles and crunch" exercise I saw a trainer have a guy do.

Then I did my usual football abs, with arms pointing at my hips, then mid thigh, then knees, then bicycles.

Bruiser
07-28-11, 3:11 pm
Nice work in here. I like the new thread you started. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the topic to help you out. So I'm looking forward to seeing what advice you get. Good luck with it.

Solid Dreams
07-29-11, 4:38 pm
I just have to say I'm pretty psyched, I pulled on an old pair of shorts that I had been wearing before I did the real drive to lift weights and get in shape and they were 44s.

They fit fairly comfortably, not tight by any means but I could go without wearing a belt.

Now they're falling off my ass. Same with a 40. I think I could probably wear a 38 or 36 now, which is fucking amazing considering I havent been that small since I was...a sophomore in high school? I've got this self image of myself where I still see the giant me, and while I'm by no means fit now, just putting on these shorts was awesome.

Bruiser
07-29-11, 6:16 pm
I just have to say I'm pretty psyched, I pulled on an old pair of shorts that I had been wearing before I did the real drive to lift weights and get in shape and they were 44s.

They fit fairly comfortably, not tight by any means but I could go without wearing a belt.

Now they're falling off my ass. Same with a 40. I think I could probably wear a 38 or 36 now, which is fucking amazing considering I havent been that small since I was...a sophomore in high school? I've got this self image of myself where I still see the giant me, and while I'm by no means fit now, just putting on these shorts was awesome.

Nothing feels better than finding a pair of formerly tight pants that are too damn big now!

Solid Dreams
07-29-11, 11:37 pm
I was going to be cute and take a picture of myself post work so I could joke about how I get all my cardio at work.

The first hour my shoulders were burning, it felt like I had a pump going because I was unloading for the first time in 3 months. I thought this was pretty funny, and shrugged it off.

Second hour, I look down and my shirt is see through and my pants are soaked. This is when I thought "lol ill take a picture thatll be GREAT".

Third hour, I start thinking maybe I'm not feeling so well, and the burn has spread up my neck.

Fourth hour? I'm sitting there chewing puke, going "as soon as I finish, I'll go throw up. That'll be so nice. As soon as I finish..."

Came home, threw the everloving hell up, took a shower, and turns out I had lost somewhere around 8 pounds, so I went from 249 to 240.

Which is insane, considering I had 6 32 oz bottles of water before I went in, and I basically would finish a truck, drink a 32 oz bottle, and go to the next. I havent felt this bad in FOREVER.

So I'm gonna share it with you guys.

Bruiser
07-30-11, 7:47 am
How are you feeling today man? Stay hydrated and rest up. Hope you're doing okay.

Solid Dreams
07-30-11, 8:37 am
I'm feeling a hell of a lot better, other than no sleep. Right now I'm being plagued with thoughts of pizza, and trying to figure out if a high carb day allows for cheat meals when you're only a week into the diet

Yesterday night/this morning it was like pizza hut's super greasy pizza danced through my head.

Appollonian
07-30-11, 10:25 am
Solid Dreams,

Have you tried the creatine yet? Maybe I missed it, but in your OP you said you were worried... I used to be like that, but now it's a good friend of mine.

I've read your thread so far and think you've got your head in the right direction and look forward to seeing where you go with this. Personally, I got up to ~245-250 lb my senior year of college. Through diet, cardio, and exercise, I was able to drop down to less than 190 lb (my previous 'normal') weight before the gain. I did so without nearly as much knowledge as you have/trying to get right now, so I'm sure you'll get there in due time.

I thought I subbed in earlier, but now I'm here for the ride.

Appollonian
07-30-11, 12:50 pm
Got my cardio tomorrow in the form of my usual Thursday evening track session.

Crunchy PB, that's stopped me salivating.

And got me aroused.

LOL!

Crunchy natural PB... I can't even think. Does your love for nut butters stop at peanuts? If not, raw crunchy almond butter might take the crown.

To Solid Dreams, are you allergic, or just don't like the crunchy texture? My wife get's headaches if she eats too much... which is too bad because I eat PB frequently, and the smell reminds her of her headaches... don't eat PB or don't kiss wife... *thinking* J/K, but it is a downer.

Sprint
07-30-11, 12:54 pm
LOL!

Crunchy natural PB... I can't even think. Does your love for nut butters stop at peanuts? If not, raw crunchy almond butter might take the crown.

To Solid Dreams, are you allergic, or just don't like the crunchy texture? My wife get's headaches if she eats too much... which is too bad because I eat PB frequently, and the smell reminds her of her headaches... don't eat PB or don't kiss wife... *thinking* J/K, but it is a downer.

Peanut butter is the only 1 I've had the genuine pleasure to try, & I never looked elsewhere lol.

I keep meaning to get my paws on some almond butter, once I'm done with my prep I'll be sure to try it.

But I can't see it coming anywhere near PB

Appollonian
07-30-11, 1:02 pm
Peanut butter is the only 1 I've had the genuine pleasure to try, & I never looked elsewhere lol.

I keep meaning to get my paws on some almond butter, once I'm done with my prep I'll be sure to try it.

But I can't see it coming anywhere near PB

Sorry for messing with your head during your prep...

It's a different animal (Almond butter that is): I feel that when you mix it in something, like a shake or some oatmeal, it isn't that strong compared to putting peanut butter in there. But on a bagel or piece of toast... boom!

Sprint
07-30-11, 1:03 pm
Sorry for messing with your head during your prep...

It's a different animal (Almond butter that is): I feel that when you mix it in something, like a shake or some oatmeal, it isn't that strong compared to putting peanut butter in there. But on a bagel or piece of toast... boom!

There's going to be some serious eating going on after this show...

Solid Dreams
07-30-11, 3:27 pm
I just dont like the texture. I've never really liked PB, but I forge through anyways because it's good for me.

I started using the Storm I ordered once I beat it to death with a jackhammer, I've got pump for tomorrow when I start lifting again.

The right timing is Pump at like 45-30 minutes and then rage at 20ish right? then nitro right when I start?

Solid Dreams
07-30-11, 7:50 pm
I was going to post this in bruiser's thread like Funky, but they were too busy discussing the gay ramifications of aloe vera.

http://i51.tinypic.com/25grtds.jpg

I failed at resisting the pizza. But it's soooo good.

Appollonian
07-30-11, 8:13 pm
I was going to post this in bruiser's thread like Funky, but they were too busy discussing the gay ramifications of aloe vera.

http://i51.tinypic.com/25grtds.jpg

I failed at resisting the pizza. But it's soooo good.

Careful... They might follow you over here...

Now go crush some iron with the extra energy from that pie!

Solid Dreams
07-31-11, 11:26 am
So I took my animal pump 30 minutes before, my rage 20 before, and I rolled into the gym and took my nitro with some grape juice.

I started off with dumb bell bench.

did sets of:
50x15
75x10
85x10
100x5

Right about here I think the rage kicked in. I basically zoned out and just kept going. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzN8Qudu8Ak started up and it was like I felt a massive surge shoot through me.

Went back to 85
x12
x10

then did incline DB
50x15
70x12
70x12
85x10

I basically had to stop myself because I'd just keep going with sets, I'd count out to 10 then stop.

Decline DB:
50x15
70x12
80x12
90x10
60x20

Went and did some Hammerstrength and atlantis bench style press.

Put 270 on the atlantis, 230 on the HS, and 230 on the incline atlantis.

I did 3 sets of 10-6 for each, just mindlessly pumping them out.

http://i51.tinypic.com/zssmki.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2lngz15.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/153qhp4.jpg

Realized I didnt do flyes, went back and did them.

Did 35x10
45x12
30x20

By this time it felt like my chest was super spread out (although it isnt)
so I went ahead and did cable cross overs.

I did my sound test to see if I'm audible over the crappy music at the gym.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyvRqEotmo

I ended up spreading the arms out a little more before I started.

Did 35x15
40x10
40x10

I stopped even though I felt like I could keep going, because I dont want to overtrain although I think I already did.

Went and did abs and got mobbed by spanish speaking ladies doing some weird form of cardio.

Did 97.5 (it says pounds per handle, does that mean its really 195?) 20 times for weighted crunches, did 15 knee raises, and then 60x10 on the weighted laying on a ball and crunching hoobajoobah thing, for 4 sets.

By this time I felt like I could keep going for another full round, and figured I was getting loopy. Took my second dose of nitro with the rest of my grape juice.

Went to do cardio, killed 3 treadmills in 10 minutes, and ended up giving up and just doing the rope climber for 6 sets of 40 seconds at highest resistance.

Came home, don't really feel pumped per say, but I'm also not sore. I sure sweated like a mad man though.

http://i52.tinypic.com/119r08z.jpg

I got the 10 serving sample of orange juiced, and it tastes like an orange asshole, but it sure as hell works, I can vouch for that.

GUNS
07-31-11, 12:50 pm
Solid work going on in here. Rage is some good stuff and you dont crash on it. Watch your wighted ab work, it will make you thicker instead of leaning you up.

Bruiser
07-31-11, 12:55 pm
I got the 10 serving sample of orange juiced, and it tastes like an orange asshole, but it sure as hell works, I can vouch for that.

LOL. Did you get the new OJ or the original?

Solid Dreams
07-31-11, 12:56 pm
Yeah, I dont mind having bigger abs (if I ever get them) because I think that even if I do "slim down" I'm still going to be pretty thick.

Solid Dreams
07-31-11, 12:57 pm
LOL. Did you get the new OJ or the original?

It's the original, as far as I can tell. I think it took longer to kick in because it clumped in the shaker I got from bb.com so I washed that down with more water.

GUNS
07-31-11, 1:07 pm
Just dump it in your mouth, then drink some water. It's funner that way.

Bruiser
07-31-11, 1:09 pm
Just dump it in your mouth, then drink some water. It's funner that way.

I think doing the powder shot like that actually tastes better than mixing it with water.

GUNS
07-31-11, 1:37 pm
Me too!

Solid Dreams
07-31-11, 1:40 pm
You know, I might try this, but I'm a bit wary when GUNS and you tell me to "put it in my mouth with some water".

GUNS
07-31-11, 1:41 pm
We could have told you to put something else in your mouth! LOL!

Solid Dreams
08-01-11, 10:24 am
Took my pump/rage, nitro with grape juice. Just as an aside, I think I'll stick with a shaker bottle with the rage, pouring it all in was horrifying. Definitely trying a new flavor when I get a new jug.

I was definitely feeling out of it today, I only got 4.5 hours of sleep and that really affected my mood.

Warmed up with 10 minutes on the bike then took my nitro ("Dude are you taking steroids in the gym?" "...what?")

then started off with HS shoulder press.
did 1 pps 15 times
2 pps 10 times
3 pps 12 times
4 pps 10 times which was a personal for me.

Then I turned around and faced the back cushion like GUNS said and did some behind the head, took off two plates.

Did 8, 8, 6, 5, and I thought I was going to die.

Then I did a quick drop set of lat raises, with
30x10
25x10
20x10
15x10

By this time I was pretty sure I was either sweating from my eyes or I had some leakage from the burn, but I had to do it because of my week off.

Did some rear delts on the machine (I'll take a picture of it later for you guys) with total weights of:
20x10
40x10
60x10
60x5

Walked around and rolled my arms around like I was a windmill.

Went to do cable lateral raises, did:
10x10
15x10
15x8.

Then did 5 sets of 15 with shrugs with 270.

I started to do upright rows but the heaviest I could get was 60 with a curl bar, because everyone else had all the benches and non-locked bars taken up.

Took my nitro, waiting to cook some eggs and go to bed.

Didnt really feel the rage like I usually do, although I forgot my earphones so I was stuck listening to whiny music which really didnt help.

Bruiser
08-01-11, 10:31 am
It looks like you had a killer day back in the gym. Boulder destruction at it's best. How did you like the behind the neck press? I find it more comfortable than a standard press for me.

Solid Dreams
08-01-11, 10:34 am
It felt really weird, but like I said in GUNS thread, when I do regular OHP I tend to swell my chest and I'm afraid of working my chest more than my shoulders. I think really it's just that I'm not sure where I should be feeling it, but I'm going to try anything if it'll make me bigger.

I'm considering doing a multibodypart split soon, because I keep reading that single bodypart splits dont work as well.

Appollonian
08-01-11, 10:49 am
When you say multi, do you mean back/shoulder one day, chest bis another, or push/pull...?

I say give whatever you are doing some time and see how you progress, and after a few weeks of no/little progress, or a few months of progress, then give something else a try.

Very nice workouts man. Strong movements for sure.

Solid Dreams
08-01-11, 10:54 am
Yeah, back/shoulder, etc.

Also, do you guys do your lean body mass protein or regular weight protein? If lean mass, I'm pretty sure I'm hitting that, but if not then I really need to figure out a new source of protein.

Appollonian
08-01-11, 1:06 pm
First question about the protein: I weigh around 212 (210 some mornings, 214 other mornings, really depends on how (super de)hyrdated I am on waking up. Based on the fact I can see my abs and have vascularity in my arms but not crazy shreded, I'm guessing at 12-13% bfat. Based on that, I weigh 187 lb. On average I take in about 240-250 gm of protein per day, so I beat both numbers.

I saw that you asked Sprint about pullups/chins. Here is my opinion on the matter.

In high school I could only do 2 freshmen year in JROTC, but I wanted to 10 without stopping/resting. So every workout I did, I would do as many as I could, rest for a minute, do as many as I could, rest, and so on for at least 5-6 sets. Eventually I could hit the 10. These are easier if you weigh less/leaner when you first start, but I think doing them, if just 1-2 to start with, is the best way to get better at them. That is just my opinion, I'm sure Sprint will have some knowledge for you. Eventually, you'll be doing 10+ and adding weight thinking "man, this is too easy!"...

What's more important than how many you do is where you feel them. If you can zero in on the areas doing the pulling and not your biceps, they become a lot easier, for me at least.

GUNS
08-01-11, 2:15 pm
How did you like the reverse OHP's. I think you get a great feel from them.

As far as protein, I just go off complete BW. If you feel like your getting too fat from it, back off closer to your lean muscle weight.

Do like App said, pick a number, say 50, and do as many sets as it takes to get to 50. By no time you will be doing that in less than 5 sets. But make sure you feel them. Think about your hands just being hooks and concentrate on pulling with your elbows. Sounds funny, but it takes the bi out of the pull. And arch your back on all pulls.

I will also agree to not go multi day. That to me is for when you take an extended period off and need to come back and hit a few BP's for about 2 weeks untill you get back in it. Stick to what your doing for 5-6 weeks and then if you need to change, then do it.

Solid shoulder day!

Sprint
08-01-11, 6:10 pm
First question about the protein: I weigh around 212 (210 some mornings, 214 other mornings, really depends on how (super de)hyrdated I am on waking up. Based on the fact I can see my abs and have vascularity in my arms but not crazy shreded, I'm guessing at 12-13% bfat. Based on that, I weigh 187 lb. On average I take in about 240-250 gm of protein per day, so I beat both numbers.

I saw that you asked Sprint about pullups/chins. Here is my opinion on the matter.

In high school I could only do 2 freshmen year in JROTC, but I wanted to 10 without stopping/resting. So every workout I did, I would do as many as I could, rest for a minute, do as many as I could, rest, and so on for at least 5-6 sets. Eventually I could hit the 10. These are easier if you weigh less/leaner when you first start, but I think doing them, if just 1-2 to start with, is the best way to get better at them. That is just my opinion, I'm sure Sprint will have some knowledge for you. Eventually, you'll be doing 10+ and adding weight thinking "man, this is too easy!"...

What's more important than how many you do is where you feel them. If you can zero in on the areas doing the pulling and not your biceps, they become a lot easier, for me at least.

How did you like the reverse OHP's. I think you get a great feel from them.

As far as protein, I just go off complete BW. If you feel like your getting too fat from it, back off closer to your lean muscle weight.

Do like App said, pick a number, say 50, and do as many sets as it takes to get to 50. By no time you will be doing that in less than 5 sets. But make sure you feel them. Think about your hands just being hooks and concentrate on pulling with your elbows. Sounds funny, but it takes the bi out of the pull. And arch your back on all pulls.

I will also agree to not go multi day. That to me is for when you take an extended period off and need to come back and hit a few BP's for about 2 weeks untill you get back in it. Stick to what your doing for 5-6 weeks and then if you need to change, then do it.

Solid shoulder day!

Couple of top-notch posts with regards to the pull ups.

Sprint
08-01-11, 6:11 pm
And the rest of the content is on-point too, just to add.

Solid Dreams
08-01-11, 11:04 pm
I'm starting to hate my scale. Because I drink so much water to prepare for work, I'll hop on in the afternoon and be 255, then when I come home I'll be 247.

I think the carb cycling is starting to work for me, although I'm not actually sure because I fluctuate so wildly through the day.

My diet probably needs some work though.

Appollonian
08-01-11, 11:18 pm
I'm starting to hate my scale. Because I drink so much water to prepare for work, I'll hop on in the afternoon and be 255, then when I come home I'll be 247.

I think the carb cycling is starting to work for me, although I'm not actually sure because I fluctuate so wildly through the day.

My diet probably needs some work though.

If that scale is accurate, then that's quite a bit of water weight to lose in a day. How much water are you taking in? With the last really physical job I had, I didn't drink just straight up water, but rather water with either Gatorade or some other electrolyte mix in the water; not enough to be super caloric, but enough to helpy body out. Even still I dropped the lbs quick.

Maybe you posted before, but what is your current diet... I'm on my phone with a weak signal now and going through these pages is hard and best...

Solid Dreams
08-02-11, 12:01 am
I usually drink 6-8 or so 32 oz bottles of water, starting at 12.

So far my diet has been:

2 eggs and 2 scoops protein powder with milk when I wake up

3 whites, 3 whole eggs, ginger and some garlic with pepper.

2 scoops protein powder with water, 2 tbspoons of natty chunky peanut butter.

9 oz chicken or a tin of tuna with 2 cups spinach salad, or carrots, or broccoli.

2 scoops protein powder with water, 1 teaspoon of olive oil.

9 oz chicken/tuna and veggies again.

For my carbs, I cycle in some oats with the meal or http://www.arnoldbread.com/thins/DescriptionProduct.aspx?sSku=7341013547 because i get it in bulk with the costco chicken and tuna.

I try to do a low medium high, on low days I'll only have grape juice for my nitro, on medium days i'll have grape juice and a sandwich thin/oats, on high i'll eat something with each meal.

GUNS
08-02-11, 4:08 am
Stay away from the evil scale. Just use the mirror. If you want to weigh yourself, spread it out over a longer period of time.

Bruiser
08-02-11, 5:49 am
Stay away from the evil scale. Just use the mirror. If you want to weigh yourself, spread it out over a longer period of time.

I agree. I used to be guilty of this too. Just weigh yourself once a week. Pick a day and start keeping a weight log if you want. I have a dry erase board by the scale and every Monday I weigh myself then jot down my weight so I can keep track of it.

Sprint
08-02-11, 6:27 am

I agree. I used to be guilty of this too. Just weigh yourself once a week. Pick a day and start keeping a weight log if you want. I have a dry erase board by the scale and every Monday I weigh myself then jot down my weight so I can keep track of it.

X2, can't stress enough how much the scale will drive you nuts if you let it.

Solid Dreams
08-02-11, 12:12 pm
I took ideas from Bruiser and Sprint (who I think got it from bambam?) and did the 3Bs and 100 olympic curls today for biceps because I took the week off.

Did 35/30/25/20, by the third set I was struggling, by the 4th set on the last couple of reps for each I'd have to grab the barbell and help guide it. I had this old dude staring at me like I was insane to be struggling with 20s, so there was that at least.

I'm still not getting the damn mind connection so I just flexed as soon as I hit the top of my arm.

Then I sat for 2 minutes, then hopped up and did the olympic curls. I had to do sets of 15 and then stop and pant a little bit, but I think i did good form until the last 5 when I cheated like hell.

Then, for tris, I took the stuff out of the blood and guts training that Dorian Yates did,

Did tri pulldowns with the metal grip, did a warm up set of 12 with 60 then did an 8 set with 130. J Dawg was right, I would never have been able to do 130 with the rope.

Did laying tri extensions with olympic barbell, did just the bar for 12 and then 95 for 9. I was going to quit at 8 and I was like "no! go further!"

Then I did seated overhead tricep extensions, did 50 12 times then 85 8 times. I was nervous about going really high on this although I usually do because I didnt have a spotter.

Did close grip bench to finish up, 205 10 times.

Hopped on the treadmill and walked for 25 minutes.

Sprint
08-02-11, 12:19 pm
I took ideas from Bruiser and Sprint (who I think got it from bambam?) and did the 3Bs and 100 olympic curls today for biceps because I took the week off.

Did 35/30/25/20, by the third set I was struggling, by the 4th set on the last couple of reps for each I'd have to grab the barbell and help guide it. I had this old dude staring at me like I was insane to be struggling with 20s, so there was that at least.

I'm still not getting the damn mind connection so I just flexed as soon as I hit the top of my arm.

Then I sat for 2 minutes, then hopped up and did the olympic curls. I had to do sets of 15 and then stop and pant a little bit, but I think i did good form until the last 5 when I cheated like hell.

Then, for tris, I took the stuff out of the blood and guts training that Dorian Yates did,

Did tri pulldowns with the metal grip, did a warm up set of 12 with 60 then did an 8 set with 130. J Dawg was right, I would never have been able to do 130 with the rope.

Did laying tri extensions with olympic barbell, did just the bar for 12 and then 95 for 9. I was going to quit at 8 and I was like "no! go further!"

Then I did seated overhead tricep extensions, did 50 12 times then 85 8 times. I was nervous about going really high on this although I usually do because I didnt have a spotter.

Did close grip bench to finish up, 205 10 times.

Hopped on the treadmill and walked for 25 minutes.

Yeh it was Bam who suggested it to me, I can't take credit for somebody else, nor am I accepting responsibility for the 'discomfort' it causes...

Solid Dreams
08-02-11, 12:21 pm
You weren't joking. At first I couldnt get my grip right, then I was sitting there doing my 15s, and going "holy crap this sucks already."

Nothing like the big guy in the gym groaning while he's curling 45, amirite?

Oh!

I did 10 pull ups today. Not very well, not very fast, but I did 2 every time until I got 10.

By 7 I was having to do 1, jump down, come back up and do another, after 10 I just hung there for a good minute trying to get my grip to come to terms with hauling myself up there.

Bruiser
08-02-11, 12:21 pm
Did you do drop sets on the B3? You're supposed to go up in weight. Either way, you're gonna have fun trying to move your arms tomorrow. Nice arm day.

Solid Dreams
08-02-11, 12:23 pm
I did 20/25/30/35 like you said. But he wasnt looking while I was doing the 35s and straining, just the 20s. They were rolling their eyes at me and then going back to doing their 1 arm rows with 45s, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Bruiser
08-02-11, 12:25 pm
I did 20/25/30/35 like you said. But he wasnt looking while I was doing the 35s and straining, just the 20s. They were rolling their eyes at me and then going back to doing their 1 arm rows with 45s, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Hahahaha. I love when I drop from the 35's to the 20s to start the next set, and it feels relaxing... for about 5 reps! Then the struggle begins!! LOL

Solid Dreams
08-02-11, 12:27 pm
Yeah, I really concentrated on flexing it hard when I hit the 20s, because by the time I pick up the 30s I'm tapping at the sides to try to get them up!

Sprint
08-02-11, 12:28 pm
You weren't joking. At first I couldnt get my grip right, then I was sitting there doing my 15s, and going "holy crap this sucks already."

Nothing like the big guy in the gym groaning while he's curling 45, amirite?

Oh!

I did 10 pull ups today. Not very well, not very fast, but I did 2 every time until I got 10.

By 7 I was having to do 1, jump down, come back up and do another, after 10 I just hung there for a good minute trying to get my grip to come to terms with hauling myself up there.

Good shit bro!

Solid Dreams
08-02-11, 10:38 pm
Oh man, went in to work today and it was excruciating. I am so glad that we had a light day or I don't think I would have made it after the first hour of 125+ boxes flooding me.

Solid Dreams
08-03-11, 12:19 pm
Did legs today, got in late because I went with my mom and she had to fiddlefart around for 2 hours.

Did the Dorian Yates B&G workout, so started off with 10 minutes of cardio on the bike.

Did my stretches.

Did 150 on leg extensions 12 times, 180 12 times, then 230 15 times until I couldnt go again.

Did Leg Lifts 5 pps 10 times, 7 pps 10 times, then 10 pps 8 times and almost couldn't rerack it.

Did Hack Squats, 1 pps x10, 2 pps x 10, 3pps and a 25 x 8, pushing my hands on my hips to really force myself to explode once I hit the bottom.

Rested for a bit:

Hamstring curls, did 100 x 10, 200 x 10. This felt weird because I couldnt get the seat adjusted to have full support.

Stiff Legged Dead Lifts: 135 x10, 205 x 10, 225 x 10. I really felt it on the first two, but with the 225 about 9 I not only stopped feeling it, but I popped the damn string on my shorts and had to walk around like Gomer for the rest of the workout.

Calf Raises: 200 x 10, then 400 x 10x3, straight, in, out.

Seated calf raises 1 pps x 12, 2 pps and a 25 x 7.

I was so pissed off when I started going to deads because there was one doofus doing military press (wrong!) in a squat cage, when we have not 1, not 2, but 3 different areas for military press with NOBODY using them. Then there was some old dude doing back curls or some bullshit in the other squat cage, another guy doing upright rows, and one, one person doing squats.

The only good thing I had going with this was I was wearing the Animal t-shirt I got in my military AP can.

Most comfortable shirt I've ever worn, even if I was wearing it under my sweatshirt.

Bruiser
08-03-11, 12:28 pm
You've got to start carrying around a 9V Hog Prod. That'll get them fuckers outta the way! Anyways, you killed it bro.

Solid Dreams
08-03-11, 12:46 pm
Yeah, those stretches really helped me I think. I felt really stupid, but I also felt loose as hell.

It was sorta funny because I was sitting there staring at him and he was smiling at me, then my mom rolled in channeling pissed off ICU nurse and he jumped up and moved his shit. I'm 6'2 and she's 120 pounds, I need to learn these glares.

Appollonian
08-03-11, 1:18 pm
Nice workout man. What is a leg lift? 10 plates per side is serious business, man...

Sounds you've got a pretty well equiped, yet bad music playing, gym.

I get to deal daily with people doing curls in the squat rack, even though there are 3 seperate areas to do curls, 2 of which unfortunately double as bench pres racks, yet only one place with the room to do deadlifts or barbell squats...

Maybe next time you could ask to work in with him (between his sets of course) or just have him let you know when he is done. I've actually gotten a few good people on call through the years in college and at some of my other gyms that helped out providing me with spots when needed just doing this. At the very least he'll know someone is waiting after he is done.

Don't get me wrong; I'll get angry too, but at the same time, I'm sure I've made some guy angry by using my gym's one squat rack squatting his warmup weight for sets, too.

Solid Dreams
08-03-11, 1:27 pm
Oops, I meant leg press.

And yeah, usually I don't get mad but I'd already had a shot of caffeine with breakfast, half a scoop of rage, and I was really focused and ready to go...and couldn't go for another hour, then after all that I've got people sitting on the racks or curling or doing their weirdo stuff, and I about lost it.

After he got done doing fake military presses he got a medicine ball and was tossing it up into the air and catching it, I was waiting for him to smash his nose in doing something that silly.

Cellardweller
08-03-11, 2:00 pm
Way to improvise on leg day and still get a great workout. That's how it's done. Not what you want, but sometimes you have to alter your plan of attack. I've got a couple of great workouts in because of the d-bags in the gym.

Solid Dreams
08-03-11, 11:13 pm
http://i52.tinypic.com/2q8sti9.jpg

Had a great day at work. I came home and I was still soaked from my head to my toes. It looked like I decided to go swimming.

Solid Dreams
08-04-11, 12:39 pm
Did back today with some guys at the gym.
Started off with cardio, then did the lower back stretching from the DY vid for legs.

Did a superset of close grip and wide grip lat pull downs, starting at 120 and dropping a plate per set for wide and starting at 60 and adding a plate for close, did 5 sets.

Did some deadlifts, but I just followed what they were doing with higher volume, so I did 135 12 times, 185 10 times, 205 10 times, 230 14 times.

Did wide grip rows, doing their weights which was something like 70 80 90 100 then 200 for my last set supersetted with some weird form of standing pullovers, doing 100 pounds with my back against the post.

Finished up with dumbbell rows, I didnt feel it with the 40s so I bumped up to 80 and did 3 sets of 10.

Did 2 sets of pull ups, one where I put my hands beside each other and pulled my head up to one side then the other 5 times, then worked my way through 20 pull ups.

Appollonian
08-04-11, 1:12 pm
Nice back workout.

Doing all that work, then dusting it off with pullups is tough work! I could never feel the type of chins you are talking about the way I liked, what did you think?

Solid Dreams
08-04-11, 1:14 pm
I dunno, I was just happy I could do it. I felt it in my lats but then everything that involves a pull of my bodyweight I can feel pretty quickly.

The guy I was working with was really light, so he was doing all sorts of funky maneuvers like head under, head over, chin ups, then the chin ups like I did.

Appollonian
08-04-11, 1:29 pm
That's cool. If it works for you then there is no reason not to do them, I just couldn't feel it like some of the other movements, so I do those instead.

Just saw what you said about the gym noises. Normally I make noises towards the end of a hard/heavy set, but if I have my headphones blaring, sometimes I get out of control and have to dial it down a bit. While I think it's OK to make some noise, I don't want to blow someone elses concentration, either.

Solid Dreams
08-04-11, 1:31 pm
I have to admit I did let out a pretty primal ARGHHHH when I hit my 14th on the deads, because by that time I felt like I was holding twice what it actually was. My grip's getting stronger definitely, I just want to get to the point where I can hold heavy weight and attempt it. Now its like I try to pick it up and it just slips out because my forearms are weak.

Appollonian
08-04-11, 3:06 pm
I have to admit I did let out a pretty primal ARGHHHH when I hit my 14th on the deads, because by that time I felt like I was holding twice what it actually was. My grip's getting stronger definitely, I just want to get to the point where I can hold heavy weight and attempt it. Now its like I try to pick it up and it just slips out because my forearms are weak.

Sometimes you gotta yell... what I was saying that even my 'normal' in between rep noises become really loud if I'm not carefull due to the music...

Solid Dreams
08-04-11, 11:15 pm
Oh, yeah I know what you mean. Especially when I'm doing legs.

I'm thinking I may have done my deads wrong today, I feel stiff in my lower and middle back.

And holy balls the backs of my calves and start of my hamstrings are killing me!

Bruiser
08-05-11, 7:04 am
Get a heating pad on that back man. Hope it feels better.

Solid Dreams
08-08-11, 10:51 am
I'm not having a lot of luck with my back.

Met up with dude at gym who I finally found out the name of.

Started off with flat bench,

185x10
250x9
260x7
265x5
275x2

Was kind of mortifying because all I could keep thinking was "I used to warm up with 275! what the hell is wrong with me!"

After that we went to incline bench, which was where I ran into an issue.

did 185x10
205x8
225x6
245x4

On the 225 set I overextended because I tried to keep my shoulders back like I do on flat bench, and I ended up pushing too hard and rolling my back backwards, and I know I pinched a nerve, because instantly I felt something shoot up my chest. Sitting here, an hour later, its stiff and tender, and feels like I've got inflammation, which doesn't bode well for tonight.

Went to flat bench DB sets

85x10
90x10
100x8
110x2

I was really glad we were stopping with the heavy presses after this because it felt like my back was on fire. I should have stopped but my ego wouldnt let me get beaten by a guy who weighed 90 pounds less than me.

We did some weird set where you let the weight almost rest on your chest for 4 seconds, then press it up
185x5
205x4
225x3
245x2

Then we did push ups for as long as we could go.

I knocked out 50, then did another 25 with a few seconds of holding myself up.

Then I went and did flyes, with 40s, 50s, and 30s, and cable cross overs, with 35, 40, 45.

Did cardio for 20 minutes, at an incline of 10.

GUNS
08-08-11, 11:47 am
Wow on the voloume man. Thats a ton of work. You got to listen to your body man. if you get injured, it's over. Don't worry what you used to do, it is an evil that fills all of us, but now is now, and your doing great. Just watch your form and hopefully this is just a little nitch that will go away quick!

Solid Dreams
08-08-11, 11:48 am
Yeah, I already threw on tiger balm and texted work to let them know that I'm completely stiff.

Of course, I put on the tiger balm before I took my shower, because I'm a moron, but...

Bruiser
08-08-11, 12:18 pm
Keep Tiger Balm on that (just don't wash it off this time... LOL) and stretch it out good and take some extra glutamine and some taurine. If that don't work, last resort you use some ibuprofen. Hope it feels better.

Solid Dreams
08-08-11, 12:23 pm
I let it dry a little before I got in the shower, letting the fire run down, then I got in and the hot water heated it back up, so it actually came out alright.

I need to find some upper back stretches, I usually do the cobra/dog thing from yoga but that hurts too much right now.

Appollonian
08-08-11, 1:30 pm
Tiger Balm 'ultra' or whatever the strongest stuff may be called is a good friend of mine. Put it on, leave it on, and reapply as needed/able to do so. I've had days when getting out of bed was tough due to a tight knee or back to having one of the best leg/squat days ever after rubbing that stuff in.

Cellardweller
08-08-11, 8:07 pm
Backing off sucks, but sometimes you gotta do it. Still was a great chest day.

Solid Dreams
08-09-11, 7:43 am
I need to find something else to do besides eat when I'm down and out. Yesterday I was in a terrible mood from back/other issues and I went out and ate a fuck ton of shit I shouldnt have.

Woke up today sore and ate 2 small bowls of flax plus cereal and my amino shake, then had a wheat sandwich thin. Gonna see if the carbs shock me into doing good today..

Legs today, not sure how it's going to go because the guy professes to hate legs. If it isn't any good I guess I can add more later!

Back feels a lot better, just sore as hell.

Bruiser
08-09-11, 7:46 am
Hang in there man. Sometimes when shit happens like that, cheating on your diet is the only thing that will keep you sane.

Solid Dreams
08-09-11, 11:20 am
Yeah, I know, I just get down and its like "wow I should stuff myself."

Annnd they didn't show up.

Did the Dorian Yates stuff instead, with

leg extensions 200x15
230x15

Hack squats
1x12
2x12
4x10+1
I had to squeeze the hell out of my hips on the last one to get it back up because my legs were like "fuck you!"

Leg Press
5ppsx10
7ppsx10
11ppsx8

I admit I had to bellow on the last one, and these girls who were doing some weird form of rows gave me the dirtiest look.

Stiff legged Deadlifts
135x10
225x15

This felt really good, I could feel it in my hams and I was really excited so I kept going.

bumped up to 315 just to see where I was, did 5.

Calf Raises because gerta the titanic and her room mate bertha the Hindenburg were sitting on the hamstring curl machines talking and texting.

200x10 to warm up
then 5 sets of exhaustion, with 400
straight, in, out pointing.
I think I did 40 the first time
25 the next
then 10 for the rest of my sets.

Did seated calf raises because they were still there.

2pps and a 35ps, did 15 and realized I wasnt going up anymore so I stopped.

Finally they waddled off to do whatever it is fat people do at the gym when they dont want to work out, and I did 150 x 15
then 190 x 12. Still not sure if I'm doing em right, but I'm gonna try by god.

then I did a station set of 20x97.5(maybe 195?) x 5
50 low, 50 mid, 50 high
then leg raises on the chair with a ball on it.

by this time I was like "fffffuuuuu!" and went home.

GUNS
08-09-11, 2:01 pm
Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you cant walk tomorrow.

Looked strong man!

Appollonian
08-09-11, 3:24 pm
990 lb leg press?!? Man that's some work. Have fun crawling Solid...

Bruiser
08-09-11, 3:54 pm
Is that all? LOL Nice day bro. SUPTAS for sure.

Cellardweller
08-09-11, 8:08 pm
Wheels of steel bro. Impressive.

Solid Dreams
08-09-11, 8:41 pm
I'm going as far as I can to my chest when I do it (my stomach still gets in the way, but hopefully not for long) but I always admit when I go really heavy I hold the base of my legs right where they turn into my hips so I don't actually crash into my chest. I don't do like a lot of guys I see who grab in the middle and visibly push, but I can't say how much the extra catch helps when I stop and push back.

Apparently my back isn't 100% yet, just got sent home because everytime I picked up something over 80 it felt like fire was shooting the muscle tissue of my middle back, and I was grimacing enough they stopped me. At least I almost finished out.

Bruiser
08-10-11, 6:36 am
Sorry to hear that the back isn't getting any better. Go slow and rest up and man.

Necromatrix
08-10-11, 8:43 am
Thanks for stopping by my Journey, appreciate it.

Holy hell, that some serious wheel work! Nice!

Appollonian
08-10-11, 11:00 am
I'm not doubting your workouts, just amazed at the weights... I do way less than that at the moment...

Take care of your back as you transfer a lot of power through your core, and a tweaked back can make any workout misearble/worthless.

Solid Dreams
08-10-11, 12:33 pm
Did arms today with D and his friends.

I have to say I wish that we would split into two groups, because when theres 3 other people I feel like I'm not doing anything.

We started out with curls, I did 40x10, 45x10, 50x10, 55x10.
Sitting hammercurls, 40/45/50/55.

Did closegrip bench, and this is where I started to suffer from my ADD or whatever, because the other two were doing way less than us so it was like a 3 minute wait to get to my turn again.

Did 185x10, 205x8, 215x6, 235x4, 250x1+2 failures.

Went to do seated dips or push downs or whatever, did 200x15, 240x10, 275x20, 275x25

they did 2 sets of 21s with 60, and I tried to go slow and let it really hit my arms.

Finished with 2 sets of dips, I did 20 each which is a PR of sorts.

After that, they were done, so I went back and did 100 O-Bars,
got it in 5 sets. I thought I'd do better but I couldnt squeak out the last 10 so had to go another time.

Did my 30 minutes of cardio, and that workout took an hour and a half, which is killing me, because I was going to do another 30 after but I was just frustrated.

MRmichael.hooker
08-10-11, 1:30 pm
hey bud, gonna follow along with this journey if you don't mind. I love the ones where its a guy who just feels he is heavy and out of shape, and is going to fuckin do something about it.

Appollonian
08-10-11, 1:38 pm
Dude moves some weights.

I used to workout with a group of up to 4 people, and you gotta be that spark that gets things moving. If you can have groups of 2-3, and always have someone moving the weights from each group, you can make a crazy energy that will definitely help PRs come. If however they are unmotivated and would rather just sit around and do nothing but talk/shoot the breeze, then it can be demotivating.

Solid Dreams
08-10-11, 1:43 pm
Yeah, that's it exactly, App. D and I are really into it, and the other two seem to just be coasting. One guy is like 6'5 or so and 300 pounds and he's doing the lightest weight he can get away with, and its like "Why are you even here?" So I'll chivvy him into doing more.

And hell yeah, hooker. I got tired of being fat (and now I'm getting mad because I'm starting to gain weight again from not doing enough cardio) so I damn well did something about it.

Necromatrix
08-10-11, 2:28 pm
Strong arm day! Had to be irritating, but you still got the work in, which is what really counts. Hopefully the dingleberries pick up the pace... Or plates, in this case...

Funky
08-10-11, 2:57 pm
Found your journey subbed good stuff going on!

Cellardweller
08-10-11, 3:34 pm
Strong as fuck arm day man. You are a beast. I hear ya on the gut check. I came home all proud of myself today and my wife told me my chest is bigger, my shoulders and arms are bigger and my legs are bigger. Then she poked me in the stomach and said, "but that hasn't changed." Got totally called out by the boss LOL.

Funky
08-10-11, 3:44 pm
Strong as fuck arm day man. You are a beast. I hear ya on the gut check. I came home all proud of myself today and my wife told me my chest is bigger, my shoulders and arms are bigger and my legs are bigger. Then she poked me in the stomach and said, "but that hasn't changed." Got totally called out by the boss LOL.

Classic.. The boss always knows how to deflate the ego!

Bruiser
08-10-11, 3:55 pm

You obviously didn't poke her back and repeat it because you're still alive to type... LOL

Funky
08-10-11, 4:11 pm
You obviously didn't poke her back and repeat it because you're still alive to type... LOL

Noone is that stupid LOL

Bruiser
08-10-11, 4:15 pm
Noone is that stupid LOL

I've got a buddy that is. One time he was heading out to the bar and told her, "I'm going out to the bar and I'm getting a BJ tonight and since you're my wife, I thought I'd offer you first shot...". No, he's not married anymore.

Sprint
08-10-11, 5:15 pm
Good arm day man, loving the 100 naked O-bar curls.

Solid Dreams
08-10-11, 10:12 pm
Yeah, I love those O-Bar curls, they're perfect when I feel like I haven't done enough/gotten that pump.

Solid Dreams
08-11-11, 11:10 am
Back today, big dude wasnt there so it was easier to get my sets in. Still took too long, but oh well.

Did the superset of close and wide grip lat pulldowns, starting at 70/80 and doing 5 sets of 10, stopped at 110 with 3 on close and 45 with 12 on wide.

Did deads, started with 135 warm up, did 15, then 185x12, 205x10, 215x10, 235x10, then while they were wrapping up theirs I threw 315 on there with the straps.

The straps work awesome, that was definitely my stopping point. I did 315 10 times (heck yeah) and they said my form stayed good throughout it. Got some nice bloody shins to show for it.

Did widegrip rows, they finally got a wide bar that would fit on it so I did 140/160/180/200/220. Had to use the straps on the last 2, doing 10/10/6/7.

Superset those with machine pullovers, did 240x10/10/10/9/8/8, making sure to stop when it hit my legs and slowly go up.

Failed at pull ups, again. Really disheartening, I did 2 then went and did the pussy pull ups with 50 pounds taken off.

Did 2 sets of 8 with that, then 2 sets of 10 with 30 pounds taken off for chins. Did the weird alternating sides thing 5 times.

Ran into an old high school friend, who was doing calf raises wrong (he was only going up, not all the way down and stretching it) so did 400x10/15/20 and then seated calves with 2pps35 15/15.

Did weighted abs with 3 sets of 20, superset with my 50 low 50 mid 50 high crunches.

Only got 10 minutes in on the bike for cardio, getting kind of irritated about that but I keep taking so long with the workout that I'm ready to go by the time I'm done.

Bruiser
08-11-11, 11:31 am
Great back work bro. I know I'll get a lot of shit for saying this, but good call on the straps! Just make sure you keep strengthening your grip though. But I think straps are a great way to go past your grip's breaking point. There was a great article in MD a few months ago where Ox talked about how he never used straps, but when he finally did he started moving SO MUCH more weight on back day that his back went from a weak point to a strong point in no time. And that's good enough for me...

Cellardweller
08-11-11, 1:18 pm
Great back day man. I use straps on my deads only. I was useing them for 315 and over and now I go raw on 315. Grip is something I need to improve too.

Funky
08-11-11, 1:23 pm
I can say this all day long and never get sick of saying it. Grip training build the grip up and lose the straps! Chalk is king for heavy deads!

Solid Dreams
08-11-11, 1:26 pm
We can't use chalk for our deads in the gym, they bitch about it being dirty or something.

Oh, I forgot I did DB rows, did 80 and 90 10 times, but I thought we were doing more so I was like "110 next time!" "wait, where are you guys going?"

When I do DB rows, I start at the knee with the inside of the DB and pull slowly up to my hip/waist, do I need to go higher or is that where I need to go to hit it?

Funky
08-11-11, 1:28 pm
We can't use chalk for our deads in the gym, they bitch about it being dirty or something.

Oh, I forgot I did DB rows, did 80 and 90 10 times, but I thought we were doing more so I was like "110 next time!" "wait, where are you guys going?"

When I do DB rows, I start at the knee with the inside of the DB and pull slowly up to my hip/waist, do I need to go higher or is that where I need to go to hit it?

use a chalk ball I use it inside my own house on carpet. My wife has never seen a mess or yelled at me once! I think it all ends up on my belt LOL On DB rows or Kroc Rows I go as high as my arm will allow. the weight ends up hitting mid rib.

Cellardweller
08-11-11, 1:34 pm
I would love to use chalk, but I workout at a crappy racket club.

Funky
08-11-11, 1:36 pm
I would love to use chalk, but I workout at a crappy racket club.

Tell them it is for your backhand LOL

Cellardweller
08-11-11, 1:39 pm
I'm already a disgruntled member. They'd probably think I want to backhand them LOL.

Funky
08-11-11, 1:42 pm
I'm already a disgruntled member. They'd probably think I want to backhand them LOL.

Very funny! you probably would then LOL

Necromatrix
08-11-11, 1:56 pm
Strong back work!

When I started out my grip was pretty much crap, and carpel tunnel in both wrists didn't help. I used gloves and even hooks for deadlifts and shrugs. But I started strictly targeting forearms and grip (CoC grippers and other assorted madness I picked up from BryanSmash). Now I just use chalk and a smile. Definatly see Bruiser's point, and agree, but part of me wants to think I can "even out" enough that my grip can match whatever my back can take.

Not sure about your particular gym, but some places will let you use spray chalk, even if they don't allow the normal stuff. Granted, it looks like you had happy time with both hands, but it works.

Appollonian
08-11-11, 5:47 pm
Awesome volume filled back workout!

For the deads, are you doing alternating grips (one overhand the other under)? I don't do it that way every set, but that was the key for me going above 275 for reps. I go monkey (or Funky...) grip sometimes too, but mostly just alternating, and if I take a rest/pause in a set, I'll switch grips, and I switch grips heavy set to heavy set.

I've never used straps, I've just not reached a point where my grip failed before my muscles did. That doesn't mean I'm super grip monster, I just think my current grip is up to the task of what my back/legs/traps can dish out.

Solid Dreams
08-11-11, 10:26 pm
I've tried over/under but in all honesty when I did I was probably doing really poor form.

I'm using the straps because I'm trying to get an idea of where I'm at, deads wise, then I'll start building up my grip and stuff.

I used to think I had big forearms but then you see everyone on here and theyve got popeye forearms, getting discouraged!

Firedrake
08-11-11, 10:41 pm
As my trainer and my friends keep telling me (and I need it), don't worry about what anyone else looks like, how much weight they're using, or whether or not you look "weak," "like a pussy" or anything else.

Are YOU better than you were yesterday?

Are YOU stronger?

Are YOU doing more reps?

Then good for you! You're doing it right.

As for pullups: I understand your worry. I could do 10-12 when I was down at contest weight of 206 last year. At 248, I'm lucky to get 3-4. I'm still working on it.

I understand straps to get the deads done, but then do some grip work, too, so you're more secure.

Now, I first looked in because of the title of your journey. I hope you will forgive the advice of a total stranger, but bro, you need to change your focus. You can hate weakness, laziness, lack of self-discipline or things ABOUT yourself that you want to change, but PLEASE don't hate -yourself-. That's a negative psychological feedback loop you do NOT need. Trust me, please -- I've been there.

Hate the things about yourself you don't like; don't hate yourself.

Solid Dreams
08-11-11, 10:57 pm
Yeah, it's really easy for me to fall back to "you suck, you're terrible, you're worthless" thinking, and I try to break it, but then I go and make stupid titles like this.

The pull ups are killing me though, all the little guys are like knocking them out like nobodys business and i'm flailing around like a whale.

Bruiser
08-12-11, 5:50 am
As my trainer and my friends keep telling me (and I need it), don't worry about what anyone else looks like, how much weight they're using, or whether or not you look "weak," "like a pussy" or anything else.

Are YOU better than you were yesterday?

Are YOU stronger?

Are YOU doing more reps?

Then good for you! You're doing it right.

As for pullups: I understand your worry. I could do 10-12 when I was down at contest weight of 206 last year. At 248, I'm lucky to get 3-4. I'm still working on it.

I understand straps to get the deads done, but then do some grip work, too, so you're more secure.

Now, I first looked in because of the title of your journey. I hope you will forgive the advice of a total stranger, but bro, you need to change your focus. You can hate weakness, laziness, lack of self-discipline or things ABOUT yourself that you want to change, but PLEASE don't hate -yourself-. That's a negative psychological feedback loop you do NOT need. Trust me, please -- I've been there.

Hate the things about yourself you don't like; don't hate yourself.

Great advice big bro. This is what we all need to hear once in a while. Thank you.

Yeah, it's really easy for me to fall back to "you suck, you're terrible, you're worthless" thinking, and I try to break it, but then I go and make stupid titles like this.

The pull ups are killing me though, all the little guys are like knocking them out like nobodys business and i'm flailing around like a whale.

You know, at least you're "flailing around like a whale" trying to do pull ups and not sitting on your ass in front of the TV like most of em we see...

Necromatrix
08-12-11, 9:13 am
You know, at least you're "flailing around like a whale" trying to do pull ups and not sitting on your ass in front of the TV like most of em we see...

Damn straight! You're putting in work and progressing, that's what counts. I know first hand it can be hard to get around comparing yourself to others and getting discuraged. And that psychological speed bump can really effect your work. Keep at it, keep your head up and you'll get where you wanna go.

Appollonian
08-12-11, 11:03 am
Firedrake, awesome words of advice. Hate/anger can be a powerful motivational tool, but being positive about yourself and trying to improve what you don't like will work better for you in the long run. Thank you for the reminder.

Solid Dreams
08-12-11, 11:27 am
hit shoulders today. Really not feeling it but went in.

Didnt take my rage, took the syrup/honey mixture and I could definitely see the rage absence.

did 25 minutes on cardio at 7.5 incline, then warm up with 20 pound dbs doing lat side and front raises.

Did 2pps/3pps/4pps HS military press, doing 10, 10, 7, then did a failure set with 4pps and a 25, doing 10.

took all the plates but 2 off, did 3 sets of 10 with my head against the board.

Did shrugs with 315, had to get it with over/under grip to do it, and did 3 sets of 12.

then did behind the back with 1 pps, wasnt really sure how to do it so i pulled it over my butt then shrugged it, did 2 sets of 10.

Did arnie presses, started with 65 and got 6 and dropped down to 55 and did 2 more sets of 8.

Then did 1 arm lat raises with cables, doing 10 then switching immediately without stopping. I did this 4 times with no rest, then had to stop.

Came home and I've lost the pump from chest/bis etc which really disheartened me, took my pak/flex/omega, and getting ready to try to sleep for work.

Firedrake
08-12-11, 9:28 pm
Sometimes, bro, as much as we -enjoy- the pump, you'll find the part you've worked more sore than ever the next day. Work Got Done! Don't forget that. Your HS Military Presses are a damn sight better than mine . . .

Cellardweller
08-13-11, 1:56 pm
Another brick in the wall man. As much as we want to, you can't be 110% each session. You got in, didn't back down and got it done.

Solid Dreams
08-13-11, 2:50 pm
The behind the back shrugs are pretty awesome. I went into work and I felt it with every package I lifted, but it was a good burn, you know, the kind that says "I actually did something".

I guess I did them right.

And yeah, I woke up after eating and I was back to normal, it was really dismaying to see myself drooping in all the wrong places after the workout though!

I can't wait until this heat wave breaks so I can start taking Cuts. The way it is now, I'm afraid I'll end up having a stroke because I took it a few times and I ended up overheating to the point where I was staggering. With workouts in the AM, I dont want to risk taking my stak (WHICH I NEED!!1111) and cuts too close together.

GUNS
08-13-11, 11:42 pm
Take out the red pill in cuts.

Solid Dreams
08-14-11, 2:26 am
Is that what it was?

Christ, I almost killed myself.

GUNS
08-14-11, 2:37 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?26696-Animal-Cuts-FAQ-6-Can-I-remove-the-Thermogenic-Complex
Red pills

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?26697-Animal-Cuts-FAQ-7-Can-I-remove-the-Diuretic-Complex
Blue pills

Solid Dreams
08-14-11, 5:00 am
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

Was looking up rotator cuff stuff and read at the end of this:

Avoid lat pulldowns and military presses behind the head as they place the shoulder in a poor biomechanical position which encourages impingement.

Is that true?

Solid Dreams
08-14-11, 7:12 am
Also: this is mainly for myself to keep track.

I'm gonna start cuts tomorrow and I want to see how a month changes with diet/etc.

Dear god dont click if you dont want to see half naked me attempting to flex :P

http://i51.tinypic.com/244y9g5.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/30cpnyo.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/20sdh92.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/bf3qco.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2hxc7b6.jpg

Bruiser
08-14-11, 7:34 am
Give yourself a break bro. The pics aren't nearly as bad as you think. I've had bulks that went horribly wriong that left in that smae shape. We're always our own harshest critics, but that's good. We don't want to be too happy with ourselves because we'll never improve that way. Just remember, you don't have to like your results, but you do need to appreciate your effort. PM me when you get a chance.

GUNS
08-14-11, 8:07 am
Kind of. I would feel it out yourself. If it hurts dont do them. But you can do other exercises to get growth.

Bruiser
08-14-11, 8:29 am
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

Was looking up rotator cuff stuff and read at the end of this:

Avoid lat pulldowns and military presses behind the head as they place the shoulder in a poor biomechanical position which encourages impingement.

Is that true?

It's true, but I know for me that the only presses I can do that DON'T hurt are behind the neck presses. So it's going to be different for everybody. Try a lighter weight and see how it feels.

Appollonian
08-14-11, 9:23 am
Like Bruiser said, take it easy. You are putting solid work in the gym and making progress. Instead of beating yourself down, visualize what you want to look like and let that motivate you instead of beating yourself up.

Solid Dreams
08-15-11, 11:56 am
Got some pictures of my calves. Gotta blow them up.

http://i55.tinypic.com/330tcuo.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/3338knp.jpg

Did chest today. Focused on bench a bit, trying to really get what that video Bryan linked Funky was saying. Pretty sure it wasn't right but I'll get there.

Did 5 sets of 10 with 225, on the last one I did 7+1 because he touched it I think, not gonna count it if he did.

Did 4 sets of 12-15 with 70 pounds on incline dumbbell, then went to incline Cable Flyes. I'm not sure if I did this right because I couldnt get that "feel" if you will, getting the chair in position etc.

Did 35x10 and 40x10, then tried 35 again and did 2 more sets of 10.

Did decline push ups with sets of 12 supersetted with this.

did the atlantis incline bench with 3pps, doing 5 sets of 5, the last set I only got 4.

Tried HS bench with 2pps and could barely get it so I decided I was burnt and went to do cable crossers.

Did 35/40/45x15, really squeezing.

I had trouble getting that pump, so I tried to really hit the volume and time to make my chest expand. because I didnt do DB flyes I dont feel like I really got my chest spread, but I'll see how I feel in the afternoon I guess.

Funky
08-15-11, 12:42 pm
Got some pictures of my calves. Gotta blow them up.

http://i55.tinypic.com/330tcuo.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/3338knp.jpg

Did chest today. Focused on bench a bit, trying to really get what that video Bryan linked Funky was saying. Pretty sure it wasn't right but I'll get there.

Did 5 sets of 10 with 225, on the last one I did 7+1 because he touched it I think, not gonna count it if he did.

Did 4 sets of 12-15 with 70 pounds on incline dumbbell, then went to incline Cable Flyes. I'm not sure if I did this right because I couldnt get that "feel" if you will, getting the chair in position etc.

Did 35x10 and 40x10, then tried 35 again and did 2 more sets of 10.

Did decline push ups with sets of 12 supersetted with this.

did the atlantis incline bench with 3pps, doing 5 sets of 5, the last set I only got 4.

Tried HS bench with 2pps and could barely get it so I decided I was burnt and went to do cable crossers.

I had trouble getting that pump, so I tried to really hit the volume and time to make my chest expand. because I didnt do DB flyes I dont feel like I really got my chest spread, but I'll see how I feel in the afternoon I guess.

Strong press movements!

Appollonian
08-15-11, 1:29 pm

Really strong movements Solid Dreams.

One question I have, and this is probably because I just don't know/haven't read your thread thoroughly enough, but what do you mean by what I left in the quote above?

When it comes to getting a chest pump, I feel it differently depending on whether doing moderate weight, high reps/sets versus high weight, moderate reps/sets. The cable/dumbbell flyes will definitely add to whatever was already there. Some days I have a great pump, others only so much so. Also sometime when doing pressing motions, I don't let my chest stretch fully at the bottom, instead I just focused on stopping the weight from crushing me, then push back. Without the stretch, it's harder to get a pump for me, too.

Let's see what you feel like tomorrow and the day after.

Solid Dreams
08-15-11, 1:50 pm
When I put my fists together like they did in the videos I watched for it, I really focused on pushing with my chest and holding it steady.

Solid Dreams
08-15-11, 7:22 pm
Probably a dumb question, but can I take the cuts thermogenic with stak/pump and leave the rest of the cuts for later? I'd like to try to sweat more during my workout/cardio but I dont want to screw something up.

BryanSmash!
08-15-11, 7:40 pm
Calves are starting to moo!

Necromatrix
08-15-11, 8:42 pm
Damn solid chest work!

Good luck with the cut, you got this!

Bruiser
08-16-11, 6:13 am
Probably a dumb question, but can I take the cuts thermogenic with stak/pump and leave the rest of the cuts for later? I'd like to try to sweat more during my workout/cardio but I dont want to screw something up.

Why don't you take one pack of Cuts in the AM and one later? I wouldn't split up the pack that way.

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 7:07 am
Because I've been taking my stak at 7:15-20, pump at 7:30-40, and then some rage right before I leave. I havent really been able to take the thermo because I'm afraid of taking it too late and hitting work sweating like a mad man,

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 7:33 am
I'm considering dropping weights in all my lifts because I havent been feeling the mind muscle connection.

Some days I hit it, some days I don't, and I want to get to the point where I can snap into it instantly.

I'd also like to look into the 5/3/1 thing, or some other variation. I'm having trouble doing the DY B&G thing because I can't go to failure without a workout partner safely. Or rather, I'm letting fear stop me when I should keep going!

Doing legs today. I want to try box squats but I'm gonna wait until I save up money for some chucks so I can try the flat foot method. Still want to study the so you think you can squat video a little more, I really wish my gym had things like safety bars etc because the problems that guy they trained had looks like the same ones I do.

GUNS
08-16-11, 8:07 am
The B&G routine is hard to do by yourself but can be done. Im proof. I love the routine. You should know when your next rep is gonna be the failure point, so stop 1 rep short, then do a drop set. Definately do it safely. And if your on machines, no excuse not to go past failure and hit up some partials.

How far are you from Hooker? I recommend you invite yourself to go workout with him on a weekend and let him watch you. Let him give you pointers, help put something together for you. Hopefully this Tenn ABC gets going and you can get in there with some of us. If you want to spend some time looking at my vids, Im not perfect, but think you would enjoy watching them and see how Im doing it. Check out my Universal page, all my vids are there and they will take you to my youtube page. Bryansmash has some good single rep vids you can see solid form on for a powerlifter. And there are a ton of other vids out there. I recommend staying with the routine your on. If your doing this for BB type work, stick it out. If you want to do powerlifting then you might need a change. Pick a goal and go for it. Hope this helps.

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 12:00 pm
I think he's about 2 hours from me. I'm trying to do the bodybuilding, but I keep seeing everyone else mixing up everything so I was wondering if I was doing it wrong.
I usually watch any videos that I see pop up, it's just that when I'm doing it I cant see what I'm doing wrong, so if I can somehow get with Hooker that'd help immensely.

Did legs today, decided to change it up and work to exhaustion on every set, or at least try.

Started off with 10 minutes on the bike, then did the Dorian stretches.

Did leg extensions first, did a quick warm up set of 20x135 and 20x135, then jumped up to 230.

Did 7 sets, trying to go as far as I can without cheating. Did 30 times the first set, 25, 24, 18, 15, 12, 10.

Went to hack squats, started with 1pps and each set I went up 1 plate.

Did 25 the first time, going in as low as I could.
Did 20 the next.
did 15 the next, was starting to get a little tougher.
did 10 with 4pps, really starting to get shaky.
did 6 with 5 pps, was ready to throw up. From this point on I was basically chewing Atomic 7.
did 2 with 6 pps and failed on the third.

Each set I'd walk in circles counting to myself for 20 seconds, sipping 7 and trying not to throw up. I kept doing this mental count to make sure I didnt wuss out and sit around for awhile.

Went to leg press, started with 5 pps.
Did 30, threw 6 pps, did 20, did 7, did 15, started to get antsy and put 9 pps on and did 8, then did 10 pps and got 5.

Superset with calf raises, I lost count of how many I did though. Once I got to 10 I was only doing like 10-15 though.

By this time I'm staggering, so I did some sitting hamstring curls, did 115 35 times, squeezing hard.
Did 150 20 times, still squeezing hard, and by this time it felt like I was sitting on needles. Ended with 220 and 8, then felt everything come rushing up, barely kept myself from puking delicious raspberry lemonade.

Went to stiff legged deadlifts even though I wanted to just go home, did 135 12 times and 225 15 times.

Did superset of abs, with 5 sets of 10-20 weighted ab crunches with 190 (I guess) and 50/50/50 low/mid/high.

Last set of weighted crunches it almost yanked me off my feet when I hit 20.

Went and walked for 40 minutes on the treadmill, played my DS. Don't play games that need you to draw straight lines on the damn treadmill.

I'm waddling now, ready for a nap or a coma.

Did my amino shake that I got from Bruiser, then some honey/syrup, then rage because I went in knowing I was going to hit it as hard as I could. If it wasnt for those I'm pretty sure I would have died on the third set of hack squats.

Ran out of RL A7 and that really bummed me out, so good.

Necromatrix
08-16-11, 12:46 pm
Holy shit! Massive volume, heavy as hell weights and little rest... Freakin beast mode! Enjoy the SUTAS. :)

Funky
08-16-11, 12:53 pm
I hope you get to walk before next year geez man hack squats with that kind of weight then that volume you may need to sleep for a long while to recover!

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 12:54 pm
SUTAS?

And yeah, I wanted to really pound my legs today and switch things up rather than just go straight to failure.

Bruiser
08-16-11, 12:55 pm
SUTAS?

And yeah, I wanted to really pound my legs today and switch things up rather than just go straight to failure.

SUTAS = Stick Up The Ass Syndrome. Have fun trying to walk bro. Nice volume.

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 12:58 pm
Oh.

Yeah, yeah, I already had that walking out.

I think on my last set of hack squats I wasnt holding my back properly because I had to push it back up after I failed and now my back's nice and sore. I tried to keep the form from the FTS video and it seemed like it was a lot easier to go all the way down and back up, up to the 5 plates.

Funky
08-16-11, 1:01 pm
Oh.

Yeah, yeah, I already had that walking out.

I think on my last set of hack squats I wasnt holding my back properly because I had to push it back up after I failed and now my back's nice and sore. I tried to keep the form from the FTS video and it seemed like it was a lot easier to go all the way down and back up, up to the 5 plates.

Oh you were using a machine for hack squats I thought you were like super human doing 585 on some hack squats LOL It is still impressive as hell and you will hurt for a week!

Appollonian
08-16-11, 1:23 pm
Serious work Solid Dreams!

Like you told me eariler, don't worry about the other people! Do what works for you bro.

Seriously though, my goal is to be big and strong, so why not mix the two styles together, if not at the same time?

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 1:31 pm
Yeah, I know, mostly I want to get cut because my grandfather died of a heart attack in his 30s, and I'm slowly creeping up on that. I don't want to be some huge fatass all my life.

But I also want to be able to do everything Guns/G/Machine/Ox/everyone else on this freakin site it seems is doing.

Appollonian
08-16-11, 1:36 pm
Yeah, I know, mostly I want to get cut because my grandfather died of a heart attack in his 30s, and I'm slowly creeping up on that. I don't want to be some huge fatass all my life.

But I also want to be able to do everything Guns/G/Machine/Ox/everyone else on this freakin site it seems is doing.

The way I see it, we should be doing this for our health. If you feel unhealthy, or have some medical concerns that you could ease out of with losing some body fat/working youar heart, then that's where I would start. Once you have it under control, then tackle your other goals. Just my $0.02.

MRmichael.hooker
08-16-11, 1:46 pm
I was reading yours and guns post above and i'd be happy to workout with you anytime bro. I have a couple guys that come and train with me and i just fucking hammer the concept of correct form to them.

GUNS
08-16-11, 2:17 pm

Thanks brother, to be put in that group is an honor for sure. Just keep pushing. People like you are an inspiration for alot of us on here, to have the balls to get busy and do something with your life. And if some of us can help with that, even better. Keep working towards your goals. It's right there man.

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 3:55 pm
I'm sort of worried, I took a quick nap for an hour and a half and I feel fine. A little tight along my back, but otherwise...

This means my legs are going to fall off!

Funky
08-16-11, 3:59 pm
I'm sort of worried, I took a quick nap for an hour and a half and I feel fine. A little tight along my back, but otherwise...

You may actually die! You will feel that shit tomorrow and the next day brother trust me!

BryanSmash!
08-16-11, 6:04 pm
Way to keep the vomit down during all that work! Nice!

Bruiser
08-16-11, 6:22 pm

Sounds like stage 2 delayed onset of SUPTAS!! You're fucked!!! LOL

Necromatrix
08-16-11, 9:42 pm

Lol!

Sounds like stage 2 delayed onset of SUPTAS!! You're fucked!!! LOL

Ah, excellent prognosis. :)

Solid Dreams
08-16-11, 11:04 pm
Still not sore, my back is twinging from work though.

I'm chaffed like a motherfucker from cardio, Desitin is calling my name!

Bruiser
08-17-11, 6:18 am
Still not sore, my back is twinging from work though.

I'm chaffed like a motherfucker from cardio, Desitin is calling my name!

Hahaha. Sandpaper thighs and Baboon Ass... two sure signs that you're getting enough cardio in! :LOL

BryanSmash!
08-17-11, 6:28 am
Hahaha. Sandpaper thighs and Baboon Ass... two sure signs that you're getting enough cardio in! :LOL
lol ouch!

GUNS
08-17-11, 6:38 am
http://tdmiller.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/butt-paste.jpg

Here you go!

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 7:25 am
Yeah, I've still got fat inner thighs for some reason so they rub up nice and easily. "I hope you dont like walking ha ha ha!"

Gonna do arms today, not sure what to do though.

And rotator cuffs/forearm stuff.

Sprint
08-17-11, 8:58 am
Ahh the chafing. More of an issue during winter training than summer. Not looking forward to that when the coach announces those 2 words that = rawness...."speed endurance"

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 10:32 am
I think I kinda failed my arms today.

I started off with rotator cuff exercises, that was kinda fun if monotonous

Then I went to the cable side curls, I got 2 sets of 12 with 30/35 before some jackass came and took over the cables so he could flail around. when I said I was on those, he was like "not anymore!" and I just didn't have the energy to deal with morons.

I was supersetting this with underhand tricep pull downs, did 60/70 x12 and 85x8 then back down to 70.

When he took it, I went to supersetting the rest with pushdowns, doing 60/70/85/100.

I did 1 set of concentration curls on the incline bench but I wasn't feeling it with the 30s and I didn't want to stand around taking up space while I tried to figure it out, so I went on to my old set of 2x10/10/10 alternating inner curl, hammer curl, and straight curl with 30 and 40 pounds.

Did one arm tricep extension with 40, not sure if I was doing it right but I saw the muscle moving so I assume I did something. Went on to behind the head two hand tricep extension with 65/70/75/80/85, doing 10 reps, going all the way down and then back up slowly.

went to preacher curl machine, doing 60 pounds and really trying to force that squeeze, i did 3 sets of that then went to a roc-it machine that you sit on with grips like cables and curl and it lifts you up and does weird things.

Started with 80 and worked my way down to 40, doing 10-15 reps and really focusing on going down slow and squeezing at the top.

Did seated dip machine with 270 with 3 sets of 12, and 2 sets of dips with 20 superset.

Did the 100 o-bars, but I'm worried that I'm doing them too often, I dont want to get used to them because theyre awesome.

Went and did cardio for 40 minutes, then flailed around on the ropes a little bit.

Funky
08-17-11, 10:42 am
I think I kinda failed my arms today.

I started off with rotator cuff exercises, that was kinda fun if monotonous

Then I went to the cable side curls, I got 2 sets of 12 with 30/35 before some jackass came and took over the cables so he could flail around. when I said I was on those, he was like "not anymore!" and I just didn't have the energy to deal with morons.

I was supersetting this with underhand tricep pull downs, did 60/70 x12 and 85x8 then back down to 70.

When he took it, I went to supersetting the rest with pushdowns, doing 60/70/85/100.

I did 1 set of concentration curls on the incline bench but I wasn't feeling it with the 30s and I didn't want to stand around taking up space while I tried to figure it out, so I went on to my old set of 2x10/10/10 alternating inner curl, hammer curl, and straight curl with 30 and 40 pounds.

Did one arm tricep extension with 40, not sure if I was doing it right but I saw the muscle moving so I assume I did something. Went on to behind the head two hand tricep extension with 65/70/75/80/85, doing 10 reps, going all the way down and then back up slowly.

went to preacher curl machine, doing 60 pounds and really trying to force that squeeze, i did 3 sets of that then went to a roc-it machine that you sit on with grips like cables and curl and it lifts you up and does weird things.

Started with 80 and worked my way down to 40, doing 10-15 reps and really focusing on going down slow and squeezing at the top.

Did seated dip machine with 270 with 3 sets of 12, and 2 sets of dips with 20 superset.

Did the 100 o-bars, but I'm worried that I'm doing them too often, I dont want to get used to them because theyre awesome.

Went and did cardio for 40 minutes, then flailed around on the ropes a little bit.

How do you feel you failed?

Necromatrix
08-17-11, 10:52 am
Nah, man, that's some solid work. Plus you worked around the bullshit to still get the job done. Nothing wrong with that. Great session!

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 10:54 am
I didn't really feel it in everything, and I didn't do as much volume as I wanted, but by the time i got done I was just tired and ready to hit the treadmill.

C.Coronato
08-17-11, 1:09 pm
Guys like that are the ones who give us bad names. Such bullshit.

MRmichael.hooker
08-17-11, 1:13 pm
Guys like that are the ones who give us bad names. Such bullshit.

x2. I believe the word you were looking for is douche bag

Appollonian
08-17-11, 1:25 pm
Almost everyone will inevitably walk into someone's set/giant set, whatever, and interupt them. The difference will be how you react to them. Thankfully everyone that's done it to me realises it the second they see me, offer to help rerack my weight for my set, and then I help them set their weight. I've done it to, and always moved off after helping re-set their situation.

Funky
08-17-11, 1:49 pm
Almost everyone will inevitably walk into someone's set/giant set, whatever, and interupt them. The difference will be how you react to them. Thankfully everyone that's done it to me realises it the second they see me, offer to help rerack my weight for my set, and then I help them set their weight. I've done it to, and always moved off after helping re-set their situation.

use the sumo en head butt. It is the most effective tool for stopping disputes! LOL

Cellardweller
08-17-11, 3:45 pm
That looked like a solid arm day to me. Good job.

MRmichael.hooker
08-17-11, 4:52 pm
you get my pm's?

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 4:54 pm
Yeah, I'm kinda dumbfounded because you eat a hell of a lot more than I do and you lost weight.

I'm trying to figure out where the hell I'd store all those eggs!

Funky
08-17-11, 5:00 pm
Yeah, I'm kinda dumbfounded because you eat a hell of a lot more than I do and you lost weight.

I'm trying to figure out where the hell I'd store all those eggs!

He is younger I think. As we get older we do not burn through as much calories unfortunately be sure to keep that in mind!

Eggs are the perfect food shut up and eat the fucking egg LOL

Sprint
08-17-11, 5:02 pm
Damn bro, what a bellend. Offer him to work in with you, or invite him outside. That shit doesn't fly with me, stand your ground.

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 5:02 pm
Oh yeah I know, I've been eating 3 eggs with my amino wakeup, and then 6 when I get home from the gym...but he's eating like 12+ each meal!

Funky
08-17-11, 5:09 pm
Oh yeah I know, I've been eating 3 eggs with my amino wakeup, and then 6 when I get home from the gym...but he's eating like 12+ each meal!

Hooker do not give him the Bruiser diet, you are going to have the poor man all bloated up and shit!

Don't worry if you get all fat and bloated come talk to me I can get you right!

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 11:15 pm
lol, I'm already fat and bloated, I don't see how much worse it can get.

It was basically like, 12 eggs, then chicken, then so ona nd so forth, but he was hitting 360 something grams of protein and I was like "...but I just got told to do 1 per bodyweight!"

Solid Dreams
08-17-11, 11:53 pm
Since I think I did well on the deadlifts last week, I'm gonna try 405 and see how I do. If I can find someone to videotape it, I'll get it done and throw it up here so Bryan and Guns can be like /facepalmextreme.

Think I'll start with pull ups, then do deads, then go from there.

DANO
08-18-11, 2:16 am
Just reading through your stuff here.... Looks like you are getting ALL the advice you will ever need!! haha.... Let me know when you start the Darksword books, and I agree the Cleric quintet was a great series.

GUNS
08-18-11, 2:21 am
Since I think I did well on the deadlifts last week, I'm gonna try 405 and see how I do. If I can find someone to videotape it, I'll get it done and throw it up here so Bryan and Guns can be like /facepalmextreme.

Deads are a weakness of mine. But Bryan did help me out with a sticking point. I did the same, videoed it and let him do the fixing. But I can help a little bit with the basics. Set the video camera on something. Take it from the side. Maybe at a slight forward angle.

BryanSmash!
08-18-11, 6:46 am

lol @ /facepalmextreme
If youre tyring to get better at deads, do them first.

GUNS
08-18-11, 6:53 am
Lots of stretching, maybe a 5-10 minute bike ride, and some foam rolling would be a good start right before deads.

Solid Dreams
08-18-11, 7:04 am
I'm still kinda unsure what to do with the foam roller, at least with my back, so I just lay on it with it like | and roll it up and down until my back pops and I feel like I can walk again. Then I put it between my spine and roll side to side, and that feels nice and stretched.

And you're right, if I do pull ups it'll probably piss me off so I should do deads first!

Funky
08-18-11, 7:47 am
lol @ /facepalmextreme
If youre tyring to get better at deads, do them first.

Lots of stretching, maybe a 5-10 minute bike ride, and some foam rolling would be a good start right before deads.

Agree with bryan do the dead's first and put everything you have into them!

Also agree with guns stretching is wonderful and that foam roller will get in a deep massage for your back I only use mine for my back and legs but man it is a life saver!

Sprint
08-18-11, 8:49 am
Foam roller ftw!

Solid Dreams
08-18-11, 10:07 am
Horrible workout, extremely disappointed with deads.
10 minutes on the bike

Did 135 x 12, 225x5, 315x4, then 405x0.

I thought I had it, but I couldn't push it all the way out. Pissed me off. Went back to 315, did it 10 more times.

Did 225 on the barbell rows, 12 times.

Did closegrip pulldowns with 60x12 then 110x8+2.

Did HS or smith machine lat pulldowns, with 2pps for 15 and 2pps and a 25 for 10.

did wide grip cable rows with 120, then 170 10/8 times

Did 10 pull ups and 8 chin ups.

did 1 set of weighted abs x20 and 1 set of 50 with low mid high low high mid crunches.

did cardio for 20 minutes.

I felt extremely rushed because my mom wanted to go, and then she fiddle farted around until I had exactly an hour to finish everything.

Funky
08-18-11, 10:12 am
Horrible workout, extremely disappointed with deads.
10 minutes on the bike

Did 135 x 12, 225x5, 315x4, then 405x0.

I thought I had it, but I couldn't push it all the way out. Pissed me off. Went back to 315, did it 10 more times.

Did 225 on the barbell rows, 12 times.

Did closegrip pulldowns with 60x12 then 110x8+2.

Did HS or smith machine lat pulldowns, with 2pps for 15 and 2pps and a 25 for 10.

did wide grip cable rows with 120, then 170 10/8 times

Did 10 pull ups and 8 chin ups.

did 1 set of weighted abs x20 and 1 set of 50 with low mid high low high mid crunches.

did cardio for 20 minutes.

I felt extremely rushed because my mom wanted to go, and then she fiddle farted around until I had exactly an hour to finish everything.

First thing I noticed was the huge jump from 315 to 405. Then I noticed being rushed, Then I noticed 10 reps during warm up. I would do less reps and more sets to warm up and get you closer before attempting a max. You will get it bro, try again when you are less rushed that feeling alone can ruin a good workout.

Cellardweller
08-18-11, 11:10 am
Yep Funky said it. That was a big jump in weight. I can respect you wanting to hit the higher weight, I'm right there with you. I post my numbers up most of the time. You're hitting about the same numbers as me. Look at my progression. I do 5x5 then hit some singles at at end after I fail doing five reps. If I do 6 sets of 5 reps thats 30 reps. Its like doing 3 sets of 10, but I progressively add weight every 5 reps to build up to a fail at 5 reps. You'll know when you start to struggle when to back down and only put on 25, 15, 10 or even 5lbs per side on that bar. Doing too big of a jump in weight will put you at risk for injury too. Again, I understand you wanting to hit some good numbers, but I think you had a great workout. Learn and move on. Next week is yours bro.

Sprint
08-18-11, 11:22 am
I quite like the feeling of a rushed workout sometimes, it feels very business-like. In, out & wipe.

Appollonian
08-18-11, 12:55 pm
Solid, your progression is great man!

Like Funky said, don't jump too high too fast. Even if you are capable of doing so, ease into it. Maybe next time hit up a set at 365, then maybe even 385 before going for it. You've got it in you, you'll get it sooner than later.

MRmichael.hooker
08-18-11, 2:03 pm
Hooker do not give him the Bruiser diet, you are going to have the poor man all bloated up and shit!
Don't worry if you get all fat and bloated come talk to me I can get you right!

Hey douche bag, my diets were almost 100% completely solid food, so shut your mouth lol.

It was basically like, 12 eggs, then chicken, then so ona nd so forth, but he was hitting 360 something grams of protein and I was like "...but I just got told to do 1 per bodyweight!"

My protein was higher, but carbs were much lower than they are now, had to have nutrients somewhere. And i was at the point of doing 80mins cardio a day, so i really needed as many cals as i could get and still loose fat.

[QUOTE=Solid Dreams;1145946]I'm still kinda unsure what to do with the foam roller, at least with my back, so I just lay on it with it like | and roll it up and down until my back pops and I feel like I can walk again. Then I put it between my spine and roll side to side, and that feels nice and stretched.QUOTE]

youtube it, there are TONS of videos on it. make sure when you roll the low back, you use your hands behind you as support so you're not putting all your weight on the low point of your spine

GUNS
08-18-11, 3:49 pm
I'm still kinda unsure what to do with the foam roller, at least with my back, so I just lay on it with it like | and roll it up and down until my back pops and I feel like I can walk again. Then I put it between my spine and roll side to side, and that feels nice and stretched!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqu_WQrfKg

Sprint
08-18-11, 5:15 pm
Hey douche bag, my diets were almost 100% completely solid food, so shut your mouth lol.

So, that'd be about 98% ???

Funky
08-18-11, 5:30 pm
So, that'd be about 98% ???

more like 92.1% and that is if you count semen!

Sprint
08-18-11, 5:38 pm
more like 92.1% and that is if you count semen!

Grim

Necromatrix
08-18-11, 6:11 pm
You still got the work in and everybody has to start somewhere. Keep at it!

Solid Dreams
08-18-11, 11:01 pm
Yeah, I gotta keep telling myself to go a little easier on myself, I want it all right now dammit!

I was so pissed off when I couldnt get 405 and I had to stop myself and go "Look, those guys have been lifting for years, and I've been lifting for 2 months...I'll get there, just breathe..."

By god nobody tried to take my shit today, they all saw my face and recoiled!

Funky
08-19-11, 7:34 am
When I used to work out at the gym I would wear my shut the fuck up and train shit and mean mug everyone. They would ask me do you need to use this I can leave LOL

Appollonian
08-19-11, 8:02 am
When I used to work out at the gym I would wear my shut the fuck up and train shit and mean mug everyone. They would ask me do you need to use this I can leave LOL

Mean mug... LOL! I've never had that reaction though... maybe I need a 'cleaned up' version of the shirt.

Funky
08-19-11, 8:05 am
Mean mug... LOL! I've never had that reaction though... maybe I need a 'cleaned up' version of the shirt.

LOL

Solid Dreams
08-19-11, 11:13 am
Did shoulders today, did a warmup set of 20/20 front and side raises with 10 pounds.

Apparently what I've been doing isnt HS, it's Atlantis, http://www.atlantis-fit.com/en/p/precision/e-449-converging-shoulder-press/1/1/110/

Started with 2pps with the shoulder press machine, did 5, then did 3pps and did 5, did 4 pps and did 5, then went to5 just for shits and giggles but I couldn't quite lock it out.

So I tried again, and I got one arm up but not the other, so I went back to 4 and did 10.

Did behind the neck with my face against the pad for 3 sets of 10 with 2pps, added a 10 and did another 8, then did a burnout with 20 with 1 pps.

Went to arnie presses, did 65 8 times and dropped to 55 and did 2 sets of 10, then went to 45 and did 15.

Did front raises with 25s, 3 sets of 10, and was kind of embarrassed that I couldn't do higher.

Did side raises with 30s, did 4 sets of 10, then dropped to 20, did another set of 10, then 15 and did another set.

did rear delts with http://www.afproducts.com/site_images/products_images/KYP_373_2_6703.jpg, did 10 on each side, 20 on each side, 25 on each side, 35 on each side squeezing as best I could.

Went to shrugs, did 225 for 20 and then put my straps on and did 315 for sets of 15 until I couldnt go any further.

Did behind the back with 135, did 4 sets of 10.

Saw some asian dude with awesome shoulders doing seated...weird lat raises, instead of holding the DBs like _ he held it like | and went way up, so I copied him and did 2 sets with 15 at 10.

Then he did standing rear delts, so I did 25s with that.

Did my cardio for 40 minutes.

Funky
08-19-11, 11:24 am
Did shoulders today, did a warmup set of 20/20 front and side raises with 10 pounds.

Apparently what I've been doing isnt HS, it's Atlantis, http://www.atlantis-fit.com/en/p/precision/e-449-converging-shoulder-press/1/1/110/

Started with 2pps with the shoulder press machine, did 5, then did 3pps and did 5, did 4 pps and did 5, then went to5 just for shits and giggles but I couldn't quite lock it out.

So I tried again, and I got one arm up but not the other, so I went back to 4 and did 10.

Did behind the neck with my face against the pad for 3 sets of 10 with 2pps, added a 10 and did another 8, then did a burnout with 20 with 1 pps.

Went to arnie presses, did 65 8 times and dropped to 55 and did 2 sets of 10, then went to 45 and did 15.

Did front raises with 25s, 3 sets of 10, and was kind of embarrassed that I couldn't do higher.

Did side raises with 30s, did 4 sets of 10, then dropped to 20, did another set of 10, then 15 and did another set.

did rear delts with http://www.afproducts.com/site_images/products_images/KYP_373_2_6703.jpg, did 10 on each side, 20 on each side, 25 on each side, 35 on each side squeezing as best I could.

Went to shrugs, did 225 for 20 and then put my straps on and did 315 for sets of 15 until I couldnt go any further.

Did behind the back with 135, did 4 sets of 10.

Saw some asian dude with awesome shoulders doing seated...weird lat raises, instead of holding the DBs like _ he held it like | and went way up, so I copied him and did 2 sets with 15 at 10.

Then he did standing rear delts, so I did 25s with that.

Did my cardio for 40 minutes.

You did lots of stuff there! Do you not have access to free weight in the gym? Everything you talk about is either DB or machine it seems only asking!

Solid Dreams
08-19-11, 11:28 am
I don't really have a spotter, and I'm worried about cracking my skull open when I try to do standing OHP etc. I'm still trying to build everything up, so I figure I would be better safe than sorry. Really most of the time I do free weight/DBs, but on the really heavy things I get jittery...

Funky
08-19-11, 11:33 am
I don't really have a spotter, and I'm worried about cracking my skull open when I try to do standing OHP etc. I'm still trying to build everything up, so I figure I would be better safe than sorry. Really most of the time I do free weight/DBs, but on the really heavy things I get jittery...

Don't be scared just use light weight til you get the feel for it even if it is too much just bring it down to chest rest it and rack. You will add more strength when you have to use more muscle to boost it up multi joint stuff is #1

Necromatrix
08-19-11, 12:04 pm
Damn, that's some killer pressing! Plus lots of volume.

I hear ya on the OHP and worried about dropping it. I stayed way away from any over head stuff for a while for the same reason. But like Funky said, start off light and get comfortable with it. It was a hell of an ego check for me to OHP 45 lbs, but it didn't take long and I'm doing fairly decent now. Get after em'!

GUNS
08-19-11, 1:41 pm
Just my 2 cents. Why you doing 3 pressing movements for that many sets.Thats 12 sets of shoulder presses. Thats alot. Don't worry about weight, I would bet if most people did the side laterals with correct form, 25's would be heavy.

Good work.

And it's great to find things that look different and things you may want to try. But if you are already done with the plan you went into the gym, then wait till next week to try them out. You about tripple killed all 3 heads. Just watch the volume man. Hope this helps.

Funky
08-19-11, 1:56 pm
Just my 2 cents. Why you doing 3 pressing movements for that many sets.Thats 12 sets of shoulder presses. Thats alot. Don't worry about weight, I would bet if most people did the side laterals with correct form, 25's would be heavy.

Good work.

And it's great to find things that look different and things you may want to try. But if you are already done with the plan you went into the gym, then wait till next week to try them out. You about tripple killed all 3 heads. Just watch the volume man. Hope this helps.

the 25's are heavy for lat raises especially if you do slow negs! 30's feel like hell and 35's damn near pull my arms off!

Bruiser
08-19-11, 3:19 pm
That's a metric ton (or a "Funky" as we call it) of volume man. Remember I was a volume junky too and found that hitting it right with compound movements is going to build you better. Props on keeping an eye out in the gym and finding new techniques. I'll spend hours on Youtube and MD watching random training videos to get ideas too.

Solid Dreams
08-19-11, 3:50 pm
I didn't think about Arnie and Behind/Front presses being the same, because I always feel like Arnie hits in different spots.

I need to cut back on the volume I know, but I always feel like "Oh man, I'm not tired, I should do more!" so I keep trying, and trying. Probably means I should stop taking rage.

Solid Dreams
08-19-11, 3:53 pm
Oh, I forgot one amusing little tidbit. I forgot to take my nitro in the beginning, so I gulped two packs down and washed it away with A7, because Ox said he takes two at the end of the workout too, so hey, its cool right?

5 minutes later I'm spotting someone and I go to lightly belch and powder comes FLYING OUT, was like I had breathed fire or something. Was pretty hilarious/amazing.

Bruiser
08-19-11, 4:07 pm
Oh, I forgot one amusing little tidbit. I forgot to take my nitro in the beginning, so I gulped two packs down and washed it away with A7, because Ox said he takes two at the end of the workout too, so hey, its cool right?

5 minutes later I'm spotting someone and I go to lightly belch and powder comes FLYING OUT, was like I had breathed fire or something. Was pretty hilarious/amazing.

Hahaha. That's why I don't take Nitro anymore. The capsules never broke down right in my system no matter how I took them. I would always belch powder. I had to switch to the amino tablets (Amino 1900, Beef Aminos). Of course you could always break them open and pour them into your A7 for an amino cocktail from hell...

Solid Dreams
08-20-11, 3:47 pm
Last night was pretty awesome, I found a way to do pull ups/chin ups until I get strong enough to do the wide grip.

Where I work has a lot of steel columns intersecting, and there's a cage to clear boxes off over our heads. This makes a nice backwards L shape grip that I can reach up and snag, and if I have my arms close in I can do pull ups!

So I did somewhere around 60 because I had taken Rage and then forgotten and took my cuts stim too, and was hyped up.

Went to the gym for my cardio today and I can do the same thing with pull ups if I get in close, I figure if I keep at the close range I can eventually graduate to the big boy pull ups.

Then I went to see Fright Night 3D and that was pretty awesome, I thought they were going to fuck it up but they did a really good job "modernizing" it.

Funky
08-20-11, 4:15 pm
Last night was pretty awesome, I found a way to do pull ups/chin ups until I get strong enough to do the wide grip.

Where I work has a lot of steel columns intersecting, and there's a cage to clear boxes off over our heads. This makes a nice backwards L shape grip that I can reach up and snag, and if I have my arms close in I can do pull ups!

So I did somewhere around 60 because I had taken Rage and then forgotten and took my cuts stim too, and was hyped up.

Went to the gym for my cardio today and I can do the same thing with pull ups if I get in close, I figure if I keep at the close range I can eventually graduate to the big boy pull ups.

Then I went to see Fright Night 3D and that was pretty awesome, I thought they were going to fuck it up but they did a really good job "modernizing" it.

you should try to do them at all different postitions, close underhand, close overhand, inside grip which are all close grips. When you attempt wide grip if you push your head back and make your neckpinch your traps you minght be able to get a few and it will build up your back.

Necromatrix
08-22-11, 8:39 am
you should try to do them at all different postitions, close underhand, close overhand, inside grip which are all close grips. When you attempt wide grip if you push your head back and make your neckpinch your traps you minght be able to get a few and it will build up your back.

Eww, and the fun ones: Hang a towel over the pull-up bar.

Funky
08-22-11, 8:42 am
Eww, and the fun ones: Hang a towel over the pull-up bar.

not until he has the power to do wides. That is the toughest grip i think so he should save that until he feels all manly and shit! So it does not mess his head up!

Solid Dreams
08-22-11, 9:57 am
Did chest today, didnt take my rage or anything because I want to be able to actually sleep.

had my 3 eggs and amino acid mixture, I think I'm going to make that the first "meal" of the day and just have a shake after workout instead of solid food.

Did 60/65/75/80/85/90x10 on the DB bench, the first 3 I did the twist and squeeze like GUNS said and the last 3 I tried to focus on explosive pushing. On 90 my shoulder started hurting so I think I was losing form, but I got the 10 that I wanted.

Did 135 on flat BB bench, doing sets of 10 as many times as I could just pushing my shoulders into the bench, going as far as felt comfortable and explosively pressing the weight up. A few times I had to reset because I pushed too hard and I lifted off the bench and lost my form.

Did Decline bench with 185/205/225 x10, it all felt really easy because on Decline I automatically fall into the correct form I think. I didnt feel any pain in my shoulder, and I was hitting each explosion. Would have gone up but I didn't want to get cocky and get stuck.

Did atlantis incline bench because my shoulder was still tweaking me and I didnt want to make it worse.

Did 2pps 15 times, 3pps 2 sets of 10, tried 3pps and a 25 and didnt get it. Dropped to 2pps and did short motion reps where I'd go up a little then slowly go back down, focusing on pushing and holding.

Did incline flyes with 40s and 45s, doing 15 each. I still love that feeling when my chest spreads out.

Did cable cross with 30, 35, 42.5, 50, sets of 15-10.

Looking back, I need to start pushing myself more. I feel like I'm not really going anywhere in my weights, even though I can see the results in the mirror.

Thinking about changing to 2 solids and 3-4 shakes a day because I'm just not losing weight, even if I do an hour or more of cardio AND my job.

Funky
08-22-11, 10:09 am
Did chest today, didnt take my rage or anything because I want to be able to actually sleep.

had my 3 eggs and amino acid mixture, I think I'm going to make that the first "meal" of the day and just have a shake after workout instead of solid food.

Did 60/65/75/80/85/90x10 on the DB bench, the first 3 I did the twist and squeeze like GUNS said and the last 3 I tried to focus on explosive pushing. On 90 my shoulder started hurting so I think I was losing form, but I got the 10 that I wanted.

Did 135 on flat BB bench, doing sets of 10 as many times as I could just pushing my shoulders into the bench, going as far as felt comfortable and explosively pressing the weight up. A few times I had to reset because I pushed too hard and I lifted off the bench and lost my form.

Did Decline bench with 185/205/225 x10, it all felt really easy because on Decline I automatically fall into the correct form I think. I didnt feel any pain in my shoulder, and I was hitting each explosion. Would have gone up but I didn't want to get cocky and get stuck.

Did atlantis incline bench because my shoulder was still tweaking me and I didnt want to make it worse.

Did 2pps 15 times, 3pps 2 sets of 10, tried 3pps and a 25 and didnt get it. Dropped to 2pps and did short motion reps where I'd go up a little then slowly go back down, focusing on pushing and holding.

Did incline flyes with 40s and 45s, doing 15 each. I still love that feeling when my chest spreads out.

Did cable cross with 30, 35, 42.5, 50, sets of 15-10.

Looking back, I need to start pushing myself more. I feel like I'm not really going anywhere in my weights, even though I can see the results in the mirror.

Thinking about changing to 2 solids and 3-4 shakes a day because I'm just not losing weight, even if I do an hour or more of cardio AND my job.

Looks like you are killing it my man! On the diet stick with more solids. How many calories are you putting in when dropping weight nothing is more important than calories. You must put in less than you use period!

Solid Dreams
08-22-11, 10:12 am
I'm not sure how many calories, before I was doing 7-9 oz chicken cooked/tuna/turkey burger and some sort of veggie or 2 cups spinach for salad, and a tablespoon of dressing, and then i'd have 2-3 1.5 cup protein shakes.

I can't stand that I've been doing this for basically 4 weeks, with a cheat meal on the weekends, and I've been staying at 250.

Funky
08-22-11, 10:24 am
I'm not sure how many calories, before I was doing 7-9 oz chicken cooked/tuna/turkey burger and some sort of veggie or 2 cups spinach for salad, and a tablespoon of dressing, and then i'd have 2-3 1.5 cup protein shakes.

I can't stand that I've been doing this for basically 4 weeks, with a cheat meal on the weekends, and I've been staying at 250.

I will make a deal with you. You count up how many calories you are eating and tell me where you are now and your goals. I will tell you how to adjust to get there!

Solid Dreams
08-22-11, 10:55 am
492 for the salad (2 tbspoons of newmans own oil and vinegar, 14 calories for the spinach ((wut?)))
660 for the chicken (probably plus some because I use marinade)
630 for the protein
I usually have 1-3 handfuls of craisins, so guessing that is a third of a cup per handful, 390 calories.
340 for half a cup of almonds I'll have with my second shake of the day.
120 for the last shake, i add some extra virgin olive oil.

so, 2632 calories.

I want to hit at least 225.

Funky
08-22-11, 10:58 am
492 for the salad (2 tbspoons of newmans own oil and vinegar, 14 calories for the spinach ((wut?)))
630 for the protein
I usually have 1-3 handfuls of craisins, so guessing that is a third of a cup per handful, 390 calories.

so, 2632 calories.

Have you been losing 1 lb per week? When would you like to hit 225?

Solid Dreams
08-22-11, 11:00 am

I haven't been losing anything at all. Honestly, I'd like to hit as soon as possible, just because I'm on a tight schedule, I really have until Spring to hit my weight goal before I'm moving away.

I've been drinking a gallon+ water every day, taking my cuts/stak/aminos etc.

I try to hit at least 60 minutes of cardio, 10-20 before and make up the rest after workout, then I either unload which is fast, heavy boxes moving constantly or I move irregs, which is slower paced but 3 times as heavy boxes moving. Either way I'm usually drenched.

Solid Dreams
08-22-11, 3:18 pm
Hmm. I'm definitely doing something wrong, I woke up from my pre-work nap and my shoulders are sore. Actually, I take that back. I think I pinched something again! Argh!

Solid Dreams
08-22-11, 3:35 pm
630 for the protein

so, 2632 calories.

Forgot 630 calories for my eggs. So I'm over 3k. :|