PDA

View Full Version : Injuries and bodybuilding

AceKombat
07-22-11, 10:39 pm
Hey bros, so anybody here personally or knows somebody who had some sort of injury or weakened area for whatever reason and still was able to build a massive body? Like say a knee reconstructive operation....how does one build a solid mass on that particular if range of motion is limited or not as wide as a normal knee....any thoughts? kind regards

BigChrisF
07-22-11, 11:46 pm
You just have to rehab the injury and get back at it. Try and figure out why you got injured in the first place and avoid that scenario in the future. You may not be able to do the same things as you did before the injury. You will just have to figure out a way around this.

AceKombat
07-23-11, 2:58 pm
Well crossing the street other than using a car or bridge is out then...lol

BigAnt
07-28-11, 12:13 am
I have three Natual Pro cards in bodybuilding and won first place in a dead lift contest as well. Undefeated in the masters bodybuilding over 35 in DE-PA-NJ-NY. Have many over-all wins in state-regional shows and made a respectable showing in the 2007 NPC Nationals, LightHeavy weight class. I do most of my training in my home-basement gym. Had a full quad rupture, retracted up to my hip. My Othopod said it was the worst quad tear he and his team ever saw. My injury was Dec 2010 surgery was Jan 2011. Took off trainig upper lower body. Started training upper again in April, started lower body training (back to my old weights-exercises) in June. While I was off, sure muscle atrophy happened, but I lost a bit of tone, defination not much size. I am still rehabbing it. I have full ROM but my running and lateral movements are kinda slow to come back. But back to training ... Mass if you "own" the size and don't lease it, muscle has memory. It comes back, some times slowly, others faster, depending on iunjury, age, rehab, and your Mind Set! I am old, 44 years old, been doing the basic compound lifts for ever, they worked than still work now. Sure to change-modify training when one is injuried is one thing but to find or copy some new funky fresh quest bullet proof short cut gain size protocal training ain't going to work. I like periodization training, still have the basic lifts in there, but vary the reps-loads and rest intervals. Works great for me!

I also had a full thickness tear of my rotator cuff and tore the distal head of my bicpes. All are 100% now!

What injury do you have?

AceKombat
08-14-11, 3:42 pm
full right knee replacement. was on crutches for 6 months. the knee joint doesnt have full range, so i cant go very low on squats or bend deep on seat leg presses. leg curls on that leg works a bit, just that theknee cant go right back. it depresses me many times bro, but i try not to think about it....

Tiny1102
08-15-11, 2:11 pm
No knee, but I have torn my rotator playing football in high school and recently my labrum lifting. No surgery, just time and therapy. Came back strong everytime. Thank GOD!!

GUNS
08-16-11, 3:50 am
Military guy here, and have had alot of injuries to slow me down. I am pretty screwed up all over because I never took the time to get a few things fixed. Tore my ACL in 90, which was mis-diagnosed as a knee sprain. Which led to a meniscus tear and they pulled the ACL out along with 1/2 meniscus. Never had it fixed. here 20 years later it has been good till now. Waiting on an MRI now to figure out what is going to happen. But I have done my fair share of squats and deads. Your range of motion will come back slowly. Just give it time. I also have a Labram tear right now which like Tiny, have rehab'd it on my own and don't have much of a problem now(just inclined 320 this week). I broke my back and crushed 2 disc's which led to surgery in 06. Took till 09 to say f-it and get back in the gym and here I am. Just got to do what you can safely.

Tiny1102
08-16-11, 9:32 am
Military guy here, and have had alot of injuries to slow me down. I am pretty screwed up all over because I never took the time to get a few things fixed. Tore my ACL in 90, which was mis-diagnosed as a knee sprain. Which led to a meniscus tear and they pulled the ACL out along with 1/2 meniscus. Never had it fixed. here 20 years later it has been good till now. Waiting on an MRI now to figure out what is going to happen. But I have done my fair share of squats and deads. Your range of motion will come back slowly. Just give it time. I also have a Labram tear right now which like Tiny, have rehab'd it on my own and don't have much of a problem now(just inclined 320 this week). I broke my back and crushed 2 disc's which led to surgery in 06. Took till 09 to say f-it and get back in the gym and here I am. Just got to do what you can safely.

Thank you for serving our country. Ice has to be your best friend. I got lucky. I only got servere tendonitis on my labrum. How long ago did you tear yours and how long before you were lifting big again. Myself, it took four weeks of rest and therapy. Once I was able to touch my chest with the bar, it was back in the shirt. I would say it took a good 8 to 10 weeks till I was able to bench 315 raw again.

PORTERHOUSE
08-16-11, 9:37 am
I have three Natual Pro cards in bodybuilding and won first place in a dead lift contest as well. Undefeated in the masters bodybuilding over 35 in DE-PA-NJ-NY. Have many over-all wins in state-regional shows and made a respectable showing in the 2007 NPC Nationals, LightHeavy weight class. I do most of my training in my home-basement gym. Had a full quad rupture, retracted up to my hip. My Othopod said it was the worst quad tear he and his team ever saw. My injury was Dec 2010 surgery was Jan 2011. Took off trainig upper lower body. Started training upper again in April, started lower body training (back to my old weights-exercises) in June. While I was off, sure muscle atrophy happened, but I lost a bit of tone, defination not much size. I am still rehabbing it. I have full ROM but my running and lateral movements are kinda slow to come back. But back to training ... Mass if you "own" the size and don't lease it, muscle has memory. It comes back, some times slowly, others faster, depending on iunjury, age, rehab, and your Mind Set! I am old, 44 years old, been doing the basic compound lifts for ever, they worked than still work now. Sure to change-modify training when one is injuried is one thing but to find or copy some new funky fresh quest bullet proof short cut gain size protocal training ain't going to work. I like periodization training, still have the basic lifts in there, but vary the reps-loads and rest intervals. Works great for me!

I also had a full thickness tear of my rotator cuff and tore the distal head of my bicpes. All are 100% now!

What injury do you have?

A little off topic, but how did you rupture your quad?

BigAnt
08-16-11, 9:42 am
A little off topic, but how did you rupture your quad?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happened at work. I work in Corrections....

GUNS
08-16-11, 9:48 am
Thank you for serving our country. Ice has to be your best friend. I got lucky. I only got servere tendonitis on my labrum. How long ago did you tear yours and how long before you were lifting big again. Myself, it took four weeks of rest and therapy. Once I was able to touch my chest with the bar, it was back in the shirt. I would say it took a good 8 to 10 weeks till I was able to bench 315 raw again.

I think it happened in Dec 09, Honestly, I was in Afghanistan when it happened and was there for quite a while so I just ended up going to incline for a while. Getting ice over there was impossible. When I got back to the states, I went through 5 weeks of PT and then did a double injection. Was good from there. But it acted up on me again recently and thats when I got my MRI and found out what exactly it was. I am a completely raw lifted except when I throw in the sling shot every now and then, but it has been really good since I started rotator cuff warm ups before all my upperbody work. 3 days a week. Amazing results. I would definately say it was from bad benching. Bad form. I was a elbow flair guy. And learned the hard way to bring them in. I feel I am alot better now at it. But Im a light weight lifter and stay in the mid to low 300's. Just trying to keep the reps in. No powerlifting. I do singles every now and then to see where I stand.

C.Coronato
08-16-11, 10:49 am
Fully torn ACL and Meniscus back in December. Surgery in march. It takes time, and my quad certainly does not match the other, but it is coming. Strength and stability are coming back as well.

GUNS
08-16-11, 11:10 am
C. I will be PM'ing you soon to chat about your time before the surgery and after.

Tiny1102
08-16-11, 1:04 pm
I think it happened in Dec 09, Honestly, I was in Afghanistan when it happened and was there for quite a while so I just ended up going to incline for a while. Getting ice over there was impossible. When I got back to the states, I went through 5 weeks of PT and then did a double injection. Was good from there. But it acted up on me again recently and thats when I got my MRI and found out what exactly it was. I am a completely raw lifted except when I throw in the sling shot every now and then, but it has been really good since I started rotator cuff warm ups before all my upperbody work. 3 days a week. Amazing results. I would definately say it was from bad benching. Bad form. I was a elbow flair guy. And learned the hard way to bring them in. I feel I am alot better now at it. But Im a light weight lifter and stay in the mid to low 300's. Just trying to keep the reps in. No powerlifting. I do singles every now and then to see where I stand.

That is incredible. Keep up the hard work. You still might want to try out a Inzer Phenom II shirt for some extra shoulder protection. Thank you again for your service.

GUNS
08-16-11, 11:55 pm
Thanks Tiny, Im proudly serving. I retire next year, then Ill have to travel and hit up some ABC's!

Tiny1102
08-17-11, 4:33 pm
Thanks Tiny, Im proudly serving. I retire next year, then Ill have to travel and hit up some ABC's!

Hopefully we will meet soon.

Tiny1102
08-17-11, 4:33 pm

Hopefully we will meet soon and I can thank you in person for your service.