PDA

View Full Version : omega 3-6-9 fish oils daily dose?

Carrnage
07-25-11, 7:42 pm
Hey theres a round table of answers when it comes down to how much omegas / fish oil you need per day. Whats your guy's take on this?

Thanks!

Bruiser
07-25-11, 7:51 pm
I'm not sure on the exact count for me. But I take 4-6g of fish oil a day, I use milled flax seed in most of my meals and I eat 1 dozen eggs every day (2 dozen during bulking). So day to day it can differ a lot, but that's about my average. It seemd the more omega's and healty fats I cna take in the better I look and feel. Like I've said before though, with a high protein diet and a ton of fish oil your gas will smell like a mermaid's a**hole. That's the only drawback I've found.

Carrnage
07-25-11, 8:29 pm
I'm not sure on the exact count for me. But I take 4-6g of fish oil a day, I use milled flax seed in most of my meals and I eat 1 dozen eggs every day (2 dozen during bulking). So day to day it can differ a lot, but that's about my average. It seemd the more omega's and healty fats I cna take in the better I look and feel. Like I've said before though, with a high protein diet and a ton of fish oil your gas will smell like a mermaid's a**hole. That's the only drawback I've found.

Damn 4-6g? My omega complex has 800mg per serving, and 690mg of omega 3 and 600mg of omega 6 and 420mg of omega 9.....im trying to debate with myself if i should take 1 or 2 or even 3 servings a day lol.

Bruiser
07-25-11, 8:40 pm
Damn 4-6g? My omega complex has 800mg per serving, and 690mg of omega 3 and 600mg of omega 6 and 420mg of omega 9.....im trying to debate with myself if i should take 1 or 2 or even 3 servings a day lol.

Yeah they seem to help me stay leaner (I really love them during a cut) and they keep my joints and tendons lubricated pretty good. I can't take glucosamine because of high blood sugar so I upped my fish oil and it's helping. Plus I like taking them with meals because they seem to help me utlize the protein in my diet really well. What I do is take fish oil, digesive enzymes and amino tablets with every meal.

Spastic_Koala
07-26-11, 9:51 am
I take about 1.5 - 2 grams of omegas a day. My cholesterol and blood sugar levels are stable, so I don't need a higher dose to fight high triglycerides or anything like that. I also eat oily fishes usually 4 - 5 meals a week.

Universal Rep
07-26-11, 9:57 am
I take a pack of Animal Omega. Done and done...

Solid Dreams
07-26-11, 11:17 am
I was going to ask about that, actually.

With the omega, do you really need to keep adding more fish oil? I'm down for it, but I dont want to OD on something stupid like that.

"Local moron dies from fish oil complications; said it was 'really good for you!'"

The_Beast
07-26-11, 2:39 pm
I take 1800MG of Omega 3 per day. Two 900MG servings.

100jan
07-26-11, 3:17 pm
I take Omega 3 fish oil caps - 1000mg + 12mg Vitamin E per capsule. I used to take 2 daily, but now I am at 4 because I red that it helps with joints pain. After upping the dose, my elbows started to feel better, and my cholesterol went down. I plan to go up to 6 grams a day... Will see how it works...

Solid Dreams
07-26-11, 11:01 pm
Oh, I just realized I didnt word that very well.

*animal omega, how much more should I take for a fat guy like me? (250 lbs)

LegendKillerJosh
07-27-11, 12:18 am
Think about this, the accepted recommended amount for the average person is 1% of your calories come from omega fatty acids. If you take in 4,000 calories per day, 1% of that is 40 calories which 3.5g (1g of fat has 9 calories) of omegas would provide. THE AVERAGE AMERICAN who follows a fairly poor, no-so-nutrient-dense diet of 2,000 calories takes in more than 3.5g. So if you ask me, eating foods like fish, peanut butter and olive oil regularly on top of your other food intake has got you plenty covered. If you must supplement than 1 or 2 servings per day is plenty assuming your diet is already on track.

Spastic_Koala
07-27-11, 2:50 pm
Make sure you're looking at the grams of omegas in your fish oil capsules. Not the grams of fish oil.

For example, the product below states 1000mg of fish oil. Yet only 300mg of that is omega-3s. So if you're looking to get 1.5 grams of omega-3s per day, you need to take 5 of these capsules. Actually, looking at the nutrition information more carefully, some of the omega-3s provided are not either EPA or DHA. Those are the two you want. So you'd really have to take 6 capsules to get 1.5 grams of EPA/DHA omega-3s.

A better question to ask is "how many grams of omega-3s should I take" not "how many grams of fish oil".

Solid Dreams
07-27-11, 3:16 pm
Ah, thanks Spastic/LKJ, that makes a lot more sense.

G Diesel
07-27-11, 4:37 pm
I take 15 g per day...

1 pack of Animal Omega in the AM.
2 Universal Fish Oil caps with lunch.
1 pack of Animal Omega before bed.

Peace, G

Carrnage
07-27-11, 4:47 pm
I take 15 g per day...

1 pack of Animal Omega in the AM.
2 Universal Fish Oil caps with lunch.
1 pack of Animal Omega before bed.

Peace, G

Solid fish stack G! Hey do you know if there are any benefits for taking fish oil /omega's before bed?

thanks!

G Diesel
07-27-11, 5:11 pm
Solid fish stack G! Hey do you know if there are any benefits for taking fish oil /omega's before bed?

thanks!

I don't necessarily but I usually focus on taking the vast majority of my supps in the 4 most important windows: AM, pre, post and before bed.

Plus I figure taking the healthy fats with aminos and/or protein before bed helps to slow down digestion allowing the trickle of nutrients while I sleep and recover.

Peace, G

Innerfire
04-19-13, 3:53 am
I take 2 Animal omega 1 with breakfast and 1 with late lunch
I also eat home eggs, slamon, some olive and flaxseed oil, and peanut butter with my last meal :D
I read somewhere that healthy person needs 2-3 grams of EPA and DHA that around 20g of omega if I am not mistaken.

Goldstone
05-03-13, 11:02 am
Just my .02 on a thread a few years old...

Like others have said, focus on the OMEGA content of the caps, not the overall amount on the outside bottle that sounds sexier.

I shoot for 5-6g of OMEGA 3's not the fish oil. As a result, that's 21 caps every night before bed. For me, I take them before bed to sleep through the fish burps.

Side note: fish oil is by far one of the best joint supplements I've ever taken by it's own. I will be taking this kind of a dose for years to come with Omega 3's for that reason alone, aside from the myriad of other health benefits.

Dr
05-27-13, 9:02 am
For last 20 months or so I've been runing on 12g, (6g cod 6g omega3) sometimes I do have crazy headache and feel that something is going to pop there, I might just overdosing don't know to be honest

KettleBellFreak
06-05-13, 1:01 am
I get my omegas from olive oil, I take 29.5g of olive oil every day, with about a 4-600 carb, 175-275g protein, and not too much fat maybe like 125? Like to stay relatively lean at 197lb 6'0. Does that sound like enough omegas for me?

Goldstone
07-02-13, 8:53 am
I get my omegas from olive oil, I take 29.5g of olive oil every day, with about a 4-600 carb, 175-275g protein, and not too much fat maybe like 125? Like to stay relatively lean at 197lb 6'0. Does that sound like enough omegas for me?

If I remember correctly olive oil is omega-6's, which can increase inflammation. I would definitely mix in some fish oil for the omega-3's to balance it out. Omega-3's increase anabolic activity in the body when you take enough. The 5g rule seems to hold true for me and that combo. Joints feel awesome, and I'm slowly leaning out while staying in the 270s.