PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming cheat days

MRmichael.hooker
07-28-11, 11:32 am
Last week while i was on vacation, my cooler crapped out and allll of my food went bad. So all I had was whatever my grandfather made and thats it (not healthy food, but he's a retired chef, so it's delicious at least lol). So lost some midsection definition. This morning, I woke up with all my definition back in my midsection and here's what I did:
Went on a 27hour fast, then had a big carb meal last night. The huge depletion followed by the big carbup really tightened up my midsection from the bad week of eating. Not saying this is a cure-all, but thought it was really interesting how well this worked for me. Any thoughts about it?

Sprint
07-28-11, 11:35 am
In for some juicy info that this might throw up

Aggression
07-28-11, 12:04 pm
When I go on vacations that last a few weeks long, I typically just right back into my regular diet. Within a week, I lose all the water weight and I'm back to normal. Either way works, bro.

Beach91
07-28-11, 1:27 pm
Subbed, interesting topic

i competed in May and June and since then I have kept my diet during the week healthy, and saved the cheat foods for the weekends. I find it does take about a week to lose the water weight and have the bloat go down, depending on how bad a cheat it was

violator
07-28-11, 1:35 pm
Water manipulation can be your best friend if you know how your body reacts to it...

it can also be a total mind fuck if you have no clue...

cheat meals, even loads of them in a row, can be greatly beneficial... they ramp metabolism, improve thyroid function and provide a mental break from dieting...

there is no way that 3 or 4 days off your diet will cause fat rebound thats even worth mentioning, especially if your deep into a diet...

its all water & glycogen bro...

violator
07-28-11, 1:37 pm
Subbed, interesting topic

i competed in May and June and since then I have kept my diet during the week healthy, and saved the cheat foods for the weekends. I find it does take about a week to lose the water weight and have the bloat go down, depending on how bad a cheat it was

yup, as long as your consistently going under the baseline weight from the previous week, thats what really matters..

what kind of cheat foods did you use & find that you responded best to?

Beach91
07-28-11, 1:40 pm
yup, as long as your consistently going under the baseline weight from the previous week, thats what really matters..

what kind of cheat foods did you use & find that you responded best to?

I found the more basic foods to be more beneficial, like cheeseburgers, pizza, large sized steaks and baked potatoes, large amounts of fruit etc. - basic american foods that have some nutritional value

However, when i hit up sweets like chocolate, cookies, muffins, and more pure forms of junk food etc the results aren't as desireable

Aggression
07-28-11, 2:04 pm
there is no way that 3 or 4 days off your diet will cause fat rebound thats even worth mentioning, especially if your deep into a diet...

its all water & glycogen bro...

Nor do I think it would be necessary to follow it up with a 27hr fast, but everyone has their own methods. I'm going away for 3 full days, August 12-14. Foods will be anything/everything I want. Once I return, I'll just get right back on my regular diet and within 3-4 days, I'll be back to normal.

MRmichael.hooker
07-28-11, 3:42 pm
Nor do I think it would be necessary to follow it up with a 27hr fast, but everyone has their own methods. I'm going away for 3 full days, August 12-14. Foods will be anything/everything I want. Once I return, I'll just get right back on my regular diet and within 3-4 days, I'll be back to normal.

That is usually what I do, just get right back into my diet. Never tried the fast before. Figured i would try it to see what happened, and the results worked great for me. Just wanted to see what kind of talk it brewed up

violator
07-28-11, 5:03 pm
interesting strategies from you guys... for me i like the 'skiploading' method...

i take a bunch of high GI crap carbs, that are low in fat, high in sodium and just eat the shit out of them over a specific window of time...usually starting with 3 feedings over a 6 hour window, 2 hours apart...

while im eating these meals i find i actually get hot and start sweating as my metabolism goes nuts from the high carbs...

usually i baseline back to my previous weight within 3-4 days and then drop below that over the next day or two..

as i get leaner, week on week, i increase the feeding window by another meal, every 2 hours...

as long as im base-lining consistently and dropping weight week on week, i keep increasing the cheat meals...and results keep coming

theres nothing like eating pancakes, kids cereal and fat fee twinkies once a week and calling that 'dieting'...lol

provides a nice mental break every week as well....

PORTERHOUSE
07-28-11, 5:06 pm
Im not sure if a show is involved here or not, but if no show is in the future of this current diet plan, you just need to enjoy your vacation. Personally, I don't consider myself a bodybuilder when on vacation, you need to find the good life/work/sport balance. I have taken weeks off at a time and come back just fine. Its takes a little while to shed the water weight, but i think it helps heal the body as well as the mind. That sluggish, obsessive, lack of gym feeling is the result of not getting pumps, a little extra water weight, and the rest is all in your head.

If your dieting for a show though, that changes everything.

Solid Dreams
07-28-11, 5:08 pm
When you fasted, what did you do? Just drink water and take your supps?

That's pretty hardcore man, although if it tightened up my midsection I'm sure I'd try it too.

Of course, when you say high carb meal, whatd you pack in?

ITZ EPIK
07-28-11, 5:09 pm
interesting strategies from you guys... for me i like the 'skiploading' method...

i take a bunch of high GI crap carbs, that are low in fat, high in sodium and just eat the shit out of them over a specific window of time...usually starting with 3 feedings over a 6 hour window, 2 hours apart...

while im eating these meals i find i actually get hot and start sweating as my metabolism goes nuts from the high carbs...

usually i baseline back to my previous weight within 3-4 days and then drop below that over the next day or two..

as i get leaner, week on week, i increase the feeding window by another meal, every 2 hours...

as long as im base-lining consistently and dropping weight week on week, i keep increasing the cheat meals...and results keep coming

theres nothing like eating pancakes, kids cereal and fat fee twinkies once a week and calling that 'dieting'...lol

provides a nice mental break every week as well....

so in a weird way it's like carb-backloading but just on a once a week basis? or do you consume all your carbs early in the morning?

violator
07-28-11, 5:27 pm
^ sort of, its more like the old 'shitloading' methods, but with out fat in the meals, so that the carbs are absorbed quickly...

Yes, the 'refeed' starts with the first meal of the day & continues until the window ends, then i jump right back into my regular diet, minus the meals ive already had...

so for example, in the beginning ill be eating 3 cheats + 3 normal diet meals and as the weeks go by and i keep dropping, i throw out a diet meal & extend the window to 4 cheats + 2 meals, then 5 cheats + 1 meal etc...

by the time i got to 5% i was cheating 6 times a day... if i wanted to go lower, which i dont think i couldve done without losing muscle mass, i prolly wouldve been starting the refeed the night before, with my last meal...

this way, i eliminate the guesswork in the final week of prep regarding the carbloading for the show(if i competed, which i dont) because ive been practicing the load for the previous however many weeks of dieting... and i know exactly how long it takes to have the water come off and get back to looking dry again...

oh yeah, the loading starts from the first week of dieting, theres no waiting 'x' amount of weeks before starting this strategy, its go time from week 1....

hope that made sense...haha

violator
07-28-11, 5:33 pm
For anyone interested in what ive been bangin on about above.... i recommend you listen to Skip kick u the real deal, rather than me.... you can down load his frikken awesome seminar for FREE (yeah, thats right i said it, FREE) here:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43449

chapters 11 & 12...

really quality stuff...

MRmichael.hooker
07-28-11, 7:05 pm
If your dieting for a show though, that changes everything.

Yup, dieting for a show. Thats why all my food going bad in the cooler was terrrrrible. But my abs look like they did before i cheated now, so maybe it had something to do with bloating decreasing, not exactly sure. I dont plan on trying it again during the contest prep, lol, but maybe next year during my bulk, just to see what happens.

When you fasted, what did you do? Just drink water and take your supps?

That's pretty hardcore man, although if it tightened up my midsection I'm sure I'd try it too.

Of course, when you say high carb meal, whatd you pack in?

Pizza. And only thing i took during the fast was water mixed with eaa stack & bcaa stack

100jan
07-28-11, 9:06 pm
Subbed! I like these kind of threads... Plenty of solid info, advice and experiences shared.

ITZ EPIK
07-28-11, 11:13 pm
^ sort of, its more like the old 'shitloading' methods, but with out fat in the meals, so that the carbs are absorbed quickly...

Yes, the 'refeed' starts with the first meal of the day & continues until the window ends, then i jump right back into my regular diet, minus the meals ive already had...

so for example, in the beginning ill be eating 3 cheats + 3 normal diet meals and as the weeks go by and i keep dropping, i throw out a diet meal & extend the window to 4 cheats + 2 meals, then 5 cheats + 1 meal etc...

by the time i got to 5% i was cheating 6 times a day... if i wanted to go lower, which i dont think i couldve done without losing muscle mass, i prolly wouldve been starting the refeed the night before, with my last meal...

this way, i eliminate the guesswork in the final week of prep regarding the carbloading for the show(if i competed, which i dont) because ive been practicing the load for the previous however many weeks of dieting... and i know exactly how long it takes to have the water come off and get back to looking dry again...

oh yeah, the loading starts from the first week of dieting, theres no waiting 'x' amount of weeks before starting this strategy, its go time from week 1....

hope that made sense...haha

I know Shelby Starnes preaches "refeeding" it seems like it works very well..but his refeed consists of more healthier alternatives like sweet potatoes and whole grain bread..

violator
07-29-11, 7:21 am
^yeah, every 'guru' has his own method...
not discounting Shelby, the condition he brought to the Jr Nats was absolutely insane & he was definitely a league above everyone else...

i just like Skips method more, mainly because id rather eat pancakes and cereal rather than bland sweet potatoes & bread...& from what ive seen of everyone he's worked with its possible to bring the same level of conditioning...

what ever works for you go for it!

Spastic_Koala
07-29-11, 8:41 am
Nothing feels better than a large shit the day after a cheat meal.

Kidding aside, I usually just jump right back into my diet. If I'm feeling extra gross about myself because of the cheat days, I'll throw in a few extra sessions of cardio. Not sure if that really makes much of a difference (aside from the sweating dropping away gained water weight from the potentially high sodium cheats), but the cardio sessions do make me feel better mentally.

Aggression
07-29-11, 8:42 am
Nothing feels better than a large shit the day after a cheat meal.

post of the year.