PDA

View Full Version : Geared lifting

GUNS
08-03-11, 3:56 am
Can folks looking to gain muscle, benefit from geared training. I have seen some vids of bodybuilders using squat suits, singlets etc for lifting. Hell Im still trying to lift heavy and gain as much size as I can.

Would light weight bench shirt, dead lift suit and squat suit help?

BoneSaw
08-03-11, 6:03 am
i wouldn't wear gear unless i was prepping for a PL meet, just to become familiar with it, or in fact competing where it is allowed. i never wore it for a reg workout, and havent really met anyone who could bare to wear that shit more than necessary.

Back To Basics
08-03-11, 6:30 am
I don't think it's really necessary, were training to use our muscles to lift the weight right? Where as a power lifter is more about moving Weight from A to B right? Strength doesn't really mean size, like that 130lb guy who dead lifted 500lbs at the cage

Even though you get the CNS stimulation from heavy work and that means hormones, that doesn't mean your going to get much bigger since your not tearing down the fibers.

GUNS
08-03-11, 8:06 am
Only thing I ever used has been the Sling Shot to do some higher rep work with my 2-3 rep max. Usually gets me double or a little more. And I am super sore from adding it every now and then.

Thanks for the reply guys. I am on the same page, just was wondering thoughts from others.

Solid Dreams
08-03-11, 9:07 am
My first reply was: "Gosh, I dunno man, every person I see who uses the gear looks kind of like a tomato, and that doesnt look very muscular."

But obviously I'm not sure, I would think it's sort of a crutch, right? Is it just that you're sore from doing more reps?

Aggression
08-03-11, 9:25 am
If you're looking to gain maximum muscle, I see no need to use any gear for lifting. The only 'gear' I would suggest would be a lifting belt and maybe straps. That's it.

Even when powerlifting, its not necessary to use gear. I am a raw powerlifter. The only gear I use is chalk, my weight belt, and then some accessory stuff; bands, foam roller, etc.

Then there is the geared lifter. The gear helps you push/pull more weight. Will it help you get stronger, raw? Probably. But if you're a bodybuilder, I see no need to use any traditional powerlifting gear.

Tiny1102
08-05-11, 1:34 am
Can folks looking to gain muscle, benefit from geared training. I have seen some vids of bodybuilders using squat suits, singlets etc for lifting. Hell Im still trying to lift heavy and gain as much size as I can.

Gear is great for training. It is there to protect you not just make you the best. Anytime you train with big weight, your body is going to change. Great way to put on size.

Mr.X
08-05-11, 1:43 am
using that shit is for pussies imo

lift raw or gtfo

nothing better than having a spotter or 2

LegendKillerJosh
08-05-11, 9:56 pm

lift raw or gtfo

How does lifting more weight make you a pussy? Training with light weights is for pussies imo

And no, gear is not a crutch. I just recently got into shirted benching and believe me, the weights are just as heavy with or without gear. Having the support the shirt gives allows you to handle more weight with less chance of injury, and will likely help you get bigger triceps and delts. I would say a shirt probably won't help your chest grow very much since the shirt does handle the bottom portion of the lift for you. I can't stand when people who have never used gear say shit like the gear does all the work. Trust me, weights are weights whether you are geared or not.

Mr.X
08-05-11, 11:49 pm
How does lifting more weight make you a pussy? Training with light weights is for pussies imo

And no, gear is not a crutch. I just recently got into shirted benching and believe me, the weights are just as heavy with or without gear. Having the support the shirt gives allows you to handle more weight with less chance of injury, and will likely help you get bigger triceps and delts. I would say a shirt probably won't help your chest grow very much since the shirt does handle the bottom portion of the lift for you. I can't stand when people who have never used gear say shit like the gear does all the work. Trust me, weights are weights whether you are geared or not.

you said it yourself shirt dont help the chest but rather the delts and tris

so what is the point of the gear?

you see sprinters using gear at races?

or olympic lifters using gear at the big o?

no thats why raw lifting is where its at

LegendKillerJosh
08-06-11, 12:55 am

I'm not bashing raw lifting at all. I don't care if you bash geared lifting. Saying it's for pussies was just uncalled for though. Besides you can use gear to help your bench press and still train chest with flys and incline benching afterwards.

J Wong
08-06-11, 1:43 am
Today was my first real session squatting in briefs after lifting raw for 4 years. It's harder then it looks. As for the original question...I don't see how geared lifting will really help you put on more size to be honest.

BryanSmash!
08-06-11, 7:42 am

For the average bodybuilder, no. Only supportive equipment should be used (belt, wraps etc).
Even using single ply gear has a learning curve, and it will allow you to use more weight than you can normally handle but its not going to stimulate hypertrophy, the main thing bodybuilders are looking for.
Also with the constant weight changes of bodybuilders it going to be very difficult to to have gear that will fit properly.
Gear works by taking the stress off of the body and transferring it into the material, the exact opposite of the goals youre looking for.
Hope that helps!

GUNS
08-06-11, 8:25 am
For the average bodybuilder, no. Only supportive equipment should be used (belt, wraps etc).
Even using single ply gear has a learning curve, and it will allow you to use more weight than you can normally handle but its not going to stimulate hypertrophy, the main thing bodybuilders are looking for.
Also with the constant weight changes of bodybuilders it going to be very difficult to to have gear that will fit properly.
Gear works by taking the stress off of the body and transferring it into the material, the exact opposite of the goals youre looking for.
Hope that helps!

I know me and you have talked about it before. Thanks, One of the best responses yet.

LegendKillerJosh
08-06-11, 7:54 pm

You said right in the original post you are trying to lift heavy. Gear will support you to lift heavier weights. Heavier weights do equal more muscle. You can use gear for heavy lifts and do raw support work to get the best of both worlds. Gear is not a crutch, it doesn't make weight weigh less, it doesn't take the muscles out of the lift. Anyone who says any of these things has never used gear, because they would realize it isn't a magic suit that makes you stronger.

Cstlfx
08-07-11, 1:55 am

Sorry, had to chime in here.

Ever see the shoes the olympians bring to the races? Only made for them, formed to their feet, as light as possible.

See the swim suits phelps and crew used? Designed specifically for them, the public wont get them ever

How about Lance Armstrong's bike?

I can go on.

I have no friggen clue how someone can put 1200 on their back and you call them a pussy. Put 1200 on a bar and try to get it off the pins, or hold 1000 in your hands on the bench. Gear doesnt do shit for you at the top, thats all them.

Geared lifting is a beast in itself. A completely different competition. Until you're better than the geared lifters, you shouldnt be calling anyone a pussy.

GUNS
08-07-11, 2:04 am
You said right in the original post you are trying to lift heavy. Gear will support you to lift heavier weights. Heavier weights do equal more muscle. You can use gear for heavy lifts and do raw support work to get the best of both worlds. Gear is not a crutch, it doesn't make weight weigh less, it doesn't take the muscles out of the lift. Anyone who says any of these things has never used gear, because they would realize it isn't a magic suit that makes you stronger.

Lift heavy but growth is first and foremost. I agree with you that weight is weight. I am not against geared lifting at all. Just trying to get a feel for if I want to purchase a shirt or suit. Maybe the only way to find out is to purchase one and see for myself. I will say, when I do work with the sling shot, I am more sore than usual. But that is after going heavy, Raw first, then using it to push out more reps with the same or just a little more weight.

LegendKillerJosh
08-07-11, 7:33 pm
Lift heavy but growth is first and foremost. I agree with you that weight is weight. I am not against geared lifting at all. Just trying to get a feel for if I want to purchase a shirt or suit. Maybe the only way to find out is to purchase one and see for myself. I will say, when I do work with the sling shot, I am more sore than usual. But that is after going heavy, Raw first, then using it to push out more reps with the same or just a little more weight.

I would suggest finding someone who has a shirt that will let you try it out before you go and buy one, cause they are expensive and not for everybody. And one more thing, shirts fuckin hurt. Mine left bruises and marks all over me, it is not some soft, stretchy material lol. One more thing, don't listen to other people, lifting more weight will make you grow.

naturalguy
08-08-11, 7:49 am
Personally I think you should only use gear if your goal is to lift geared in a powerlifting meet.

BryanSmash!
08-08-11, 4:11 pm
Personally I think you should only use gear if your goal is to lift geared in a powerlifting meet.

This.

LegendKillerJosh
08-08-11, 8:00 pm
This.

But why?

BryanSmash!
08-09-11, 6:51 am
But why?

For the same reasons I outlined above, and additionally the expense.

naturalguy
08-09-11, 8:12 am
But why?

Because it changes your form, the OP was asking about using gear to build more muscle

LegendKillerJosh
08-09-11, 1:25 pm
The OP also asked because he has seen videos of bodybuilders using gear. So, what about Ronnie Coleman wearing a squat suit? That won't stimulate quad hypertrophy cause he's using gear?

naturalguy
08-09-11, 2:59 pm
The OP also asked because he has seen videos of bodybuilders using gear. So, what about Ronnie Coleman wearing a squat suit? That won't stimulate quad hypertrophy cause he's using gear?

It's a whole different ballgame using gear, you have to learn to lift in the gear which is very different and not optimal for hypertrophy in my opinion.

LegendKillerJosh
08-09-11, 4:03 pm
It's a whole different ballgame using gear, you have to learn to lift in the gear which is very different and not optimal for hypertrophy in my opinion.

Yeah I know that, I lifted raw for a very long time and now use gear. I understand your opinion, but I also believe that handling more weights using gear does lead to hypertrophy.

BryanSmash!
08-09-11, 5:34 pm

Ronnie Coleman can do whatever he wants, however what works him isnt going to work for the OP. The routines of professional BBers, especially seven time Olympia champions are not applicable to the average lifter.
Just my opinion though.

MRmichael.hooker
08-11-11, 7:38 pm
Wanted to tag along on this thread, since straps are techincally a lifters aid, gear wise. What are your opinions on straps? And what is your reasoning? Not "oh, straps are for pussys, men dont use em" bull shit answers. My grip is giving out sometimes during back movements before the muscle is completely taxed, and there are 2 solutions, either 1: use straps for the time being so i can demolish the back, while i build up the grip OR 2: dont use em, get my grip stronger quicker, but not hit failure on back movements. Im a bodybuilder, not a powerlifter.

BryanSmash!
08-11-11, 7:50 pm
Wanted to tag along on this thread, since straps are techincally a lifters aid, gear wise. What are your opinions on straps? And what is your reasoning? Not "oh, straps are for pussys, men dont use em" bull shit answers. My grip is giving out sometimes during back movements before the muscle is completely taxed, and there are 2 solutions, either 1: use straps for the time being so i can demolish the back, while i build up the grip OR 2: dont use em, get my grip stronger quicker, but not hit failure on back movements. Im a bodybuilder, not a powerlifter.

If youre a BBer, use straps if you want. Your focus is on physique development, not grip strength. However, you'll achieve greater muscularity in your arms, particularly your lower arms if you ditch the straps. Your grip will catch up soon enough. Thick bar training is great for this, and if you dont have the cash for one, pick up a set of Fat Gripz instead.
Hope that helps.

Tiny1102
08-11-11, 11:41 pm

lift raw or gtfo

I can guarantee you I am NOT a pussy. Lets see if you have the balls to bench 1100 wearing a shirt. Don't be scared!! And you might want to have more than 2 or 3 spotters.

GUNS
08-12-11, 5:23 am

I use straps for my heavy sets even on my first movement. I don't want to be thinking about my grip slipping when Im trying to get the MMC and squeezing that contraction. I do have a forearm session once a week though. So I feel I make up for it a little. I have always used straps, and I always will.

BigChrisF
08-13-11, 4:17 am
I try to avoid using straps because the tighter you grip the bar, the more muscle fibers you can recruit for whatever movement you are doing.

LegendKillerJosh
08-16-11, 10:40 pm
If youre a BBer, use straps if you want. Your focus is on physique development, not grip strength. However, you'll achieve greater muscularity in your arms, particularly your lower arms if you ditch the straps. Your grip will catch up soon enough. Thick bar training is great for this, and if you dont have the cash for one, pick up a set of Fat Gripz instead.
Hope that helps.

I agree, on back day, hit back. Don't worry about grip or forearms, save that for another day. If you end a set for lats before they fail cause the grip did that is not good at all. I know some powerlifters and strongman competitors that train grip 3 times per week. I use to use straps all the time, and now I never do.

Chalk is good enough, the first time I ever ditched my straps for a deadlift I pulled 500 and grip was not an issue at all, chalk works even better than straps in fact, cause sometimes even with straps the bar would slip. My forearms have also gotten much better with no direct training. But I do a lot of stuff like farmers walk and thick bar (we have a bar about as thick as a 20oz pop) work that helps a lot. If you need the straps for back day then absolutely use them, but ditch them as soon as your grip catches up.