PDA

View Full Version : Bicep head

Operator
08-05-11, 8:49 pm
How can I get my bicep head bigger and thicker? Hammers? DB curls? This is currently my bicep routine. Straight bar curls, cable curls, 21's, preachers, db curls, hammers. All 4/10. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!
-Operator

Operator
08-05-11, 9:17 pm
How can I get my bicep head bigger and thicker? Hammers? DB curls? This is currently my bicep routine. Straight bar curls, cable curls, 21's, preachers, db curls, hammers. All 4/10. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!
-Operator

Getting thicker meaning, standing straight, arms by my side, unflexed bicep.

MRmichael.hooker
08-05-11, 9:32 pm
How long have u been doing this routine and how does your body react to high volume? That is A LOT of volume for ur biceps.

Operator
08-05-11, 9:52 pm
How long have u been doing this routine and how does your body react to high volume? That is A LOT of volume for ur biceps.

I have been doing this routine for 2 years. With adding and removing things. or mixing it up. but I do these generic exercises every bicep day.

Solid Dreams
08-05-11, 10:02 pm
You may be overtraining, which is why they arent getting bigger.

Operator
08-05-11, 10:26 pm

What do you think I should do I do/cut back on?

Solid Dreams
08-05-11, 10:27 pm
I would say cut the amount of different exercises at least in half, and then alternate weeks on which sets you do.

Carrnage
08-06-11, 1:06 am
-Operator

Bro your doing 6 exercises on 1 muscle......yes you are hitting the muscle from different angles but the end result is hitting it the same exact way. Stop reading Flex magazine!!! lol

I can take a shit sitting down....boom! goal accomplished!......I can take a shit standing up....different angle right? different way right??.....the goal is still the same!

Find a exercise that you feel in the "meat" in the biceps, go to failure on it. And a exercise for the brachi / outer biceps like a hammer curl or ez-bar curls.

pushin weight
08-06-11, 12:00 pm
I know you asked about the bicep head specifically, but one way to make your arms bigger and fuller is to concentrate on compound moves for triceps.The three heads of the the triceps make up 2/3 of your arm size. As for the bicep head its self i would suggest trying this superset Standing easy bar curls with ez bar preacher curls. Also remember that strict form is probably more crucuial to bicep development than with any other muscle. drop your weight and squeeze that bicep at the top of the rep each and every time till it feels like its gonna bust. I see guys using poor form with curls more than anything else and if your swinging the weight your just pissin in the wind..Good luck..oh yeah dont forget to eat..lol

awayoflife
08-06-11, 3:48 pm
You should give the routine from the Animal Arms DVD a shot! Simple and effective. After you stop seeing results change things up a bit but keep it at about 12 sets because you’re training a really small muscle and usually the problem is overtraining.

Lunchead
08-07-11, 1:14 pm
Try weighted chins and go heavy, also going heavy on other compound movements like deads, cleans and even presses would thicken up your arms in general.

PORTERHOUSE
08-07-11, 4:38 pm

Yes. Definitely. Less is more, especially when you're talking about a muscle as small as the bicep.

Train them less, and eat more.

GUNS
08-08-11, 1:44 am
9 sets max. Like everyone has said, less is more. Hit up a good mass maker like BB curls, then DB curls followed by a concentration curl. Better yet, hit up your conc curl first to pre-exhaust the bi, then hit up you others. 3 sets of each or 4 -5 sets, then 1-2 sets for the others. Mix it up.

MojoMike36
08-08-11, 5:32 am
9 working sets in which you take yourself to the point of failure (or beyond if you're ready for it)

DB 1 Arm Curl on a steep incline bench x 3-4
DB Seated Incline Curl (bilateral reps til fail -- then pump a few more out one arm at a time) x 3
DB 1 Arm Hammer Curl on a steep incline bench x 3
BB Rerverse Curl x 2-3 (can made harder by doing them on an preacher)

If you really know what you're doing and actually train with genuine intensity thats all you need.
Volume is not the answer. Intensity is.

Watch some videos of Dorian Yates training biceps. He was my inspiration for the 1st and 2nd exercises of my routine.

Also break your wrist. *not literally* -- curling with your palm up and toward your body is bad. So do the opposite. Let your wrist buckle and keep it bent back the whole time. This is important when isolating biceps.

GUNS
08-08-11, 6:18 am
Agree and disagree, absolutely go to failure and wouldn't have it any other way plus have someone help you up so you can go past failure with negatives. And remember, there is a positive, static an negative to every exercise. Make sure your not doing only half a rep.

Dorian was great overall, but had "ok" bi's. But I do believe in his principles.

As far as the "broke" wrist, I disagree. It has nothing to do with your Bi. That's all wrist, Your bi is there to somewhat pull up your lower arm but moreso, twist your wrist.

Do a Bi pose without twisting your wrist, take a look at how it does NOT peak. Then twist your wrist. You will notice that your peak comes in nicely. Try this with or without your wrist bent and there will be no difference in your peak as to what position your wrist is bent.

Don't let your wrist fall back and hell, wear some wraps. Preventive maintenance!