PDA

View Full Version : Here is a good question

Tiny1102
08-15-11, 1:50 pm
What shoes work best for you when benching? I now travel with about 4 pairs of shoes. If you watch a lot of tapes on me. I sometimes have issues with my feet sliding out when I bench. Just to let you know. Stickum is not allowed in most Feds, so not a option.

BigChrisF
08-15-11, 5:47 pm
I have had pretty good luck benching barefoot, but that isn't an option for the platform. Most of the time I just bench in whatever I happen to be wearing. At comps, this is my chucks. The only things I've had problems with are my flip-flops, especially when the floor is wet.

Tiny1102
08-16-11, 1:03 am
[QUOTE=BigChrisF;1144570]I have had pretty good luck benching barefoot, but that isn't an option for the platform. Most of the time I just bench in whatever I happen to be wearing. At comps, this is my chucks. The only things I've had problems with are my flip-flops, especially when the floor is wet.[/QUOTE

Are you serious? For real? Come on man..We're trying to help people]

GUNS
08-16-11, 3:29 am
I don't compete in Powerlifting but I have tried offroad running shoes, chucks and the Vibram five fingers, I have a hard time arching my back due to a back injury and surgery, so Im up on my toes a little more, but the Vibrams are pretty good. If I could go flat footed, I would think the chucks would be better. But love the feel of the five fingers. Even for deads and squats.

zubda345
08-16-11, 5:22 am
I commonly wear my joggers they give me real good floor grip while benching, squating and deadlifting. But only one prob with them they provide no grip on wet surface and luckily the gym has floor mats and carpet all over so there is no wet floor.

Tiny1102
08-16-11, 9:22 am
I commonly wear my joggers they give me real good floor grip while benching, squating and deadlifting. But only one prob with them they provide no grip on wet surface and luckily the gym has floor mats and carpet all over so there is no wet floor.

What are joggers?

naturalguy
08-16-11, 9:50 am
Tiny, do you bench flat footed or on your toes?

rev8ball
08-16-11, 10:17 am
Since we had to stay flat-footed, I needed as much sole in contact with the floor as possible, so I always used a solid sneaker. For some reason, though, I couldn't get a good grip with my Chucks; so I normally stayed with my Nikes.

Brick By Brick
08-16-11, 10:41 am
NB trail running shoes or something with a grippy, aggressive tread.

Tiny1102
08-16-11, 1:00 pm
Tiny, do you bench flat footed or on your toes?

I try my best to be flat. I want to push off my heals, not my toes.

Tiny1102
08-16-11, 1:01 pm
Since we had to stay flat-footed, I needed as much sole in contact with the floor as possible, so I always used a solid sneaker. For some reason, though, I couldn't get a good grip with my Chucks; so I normally stayed with my Nikes.

I like shox, they really help me get my heals down.

BigChrisF
08-16-11, 2:28 pm
[QUOTE=BigChrisF;1144570]I have had pretty good luck benching barefoot, but that isn't an option for the platform. Most of the time I just bench in whatever I happen to be wearing. At comps, this is my chucks. The only things I've had problems with are my flip-flops, especially when the floor is wet.[/QUOTE

Are you serious? For real? Come on man..We're trying to help people]

Yeah, yeah...I certainly don't recommend flip flops for benching. I just do it because I don't want to carry around extra shoes. I don't really have much of a problem with my feet slipping though.

zubda345
08-16-11, 4:51 pm
What are joggers?

These are joggers:
http://ic0.net/m/jogger_blk-shoe.jpg

Mine are a lil bit different but same company

zubda345
08-16-11, 4:53 pm
I try my best to be flat. I want to push off my heals, not my toes.

Yeah I also try to keep my feet flat. But I see many many people who would even lift their feet up in the air or get on their toes or put their heals on the edge of the bench while benching.

B.S.
08-16-11, 4:58 pm
scarpa trail running shoes are my favorite lifting shoe. great grip and a fairly flat shoe. on the expensive side tho

The Prodigy
08-17-11, 12:12 am
best shoes by far are nike high tops (i think own about 4 or 5 air models)...they are completely flat on the bottom and feel nice n cozy on your toes haha...only problem is i wear them everywhere so when the tred wears down it becomes a bit of a grip issue, especially if the floors dusty...id recommend gettin a pair only for the gym...they are awesome to squat and deadlift in too, although for the deadlift since the sole is thick, it adds about an extra inch to the distance you gotta pull...horrible for running in though

jesse45690
08-17-11, 7:45 am
I wear Vibram five finger shoes. They look a little crazy, but I love them. I wear them with all of my lifts.

Here's a link to their site.
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

franklinX
08-17-11, 9:07 am
vibrams help me out too. the soles on those things are very tacky so you always get a good ground feel. If you arent into their obnoxious appearance you could try new balance minimus or merrell barefoots. They have vibram soles that are aggressive and look like normal shoes. They also give you the benefits of activating the muscles in your feet more than is typically possible with the shod option.

and would it maybe help to push off midfoot instead of heel?? If you push off your heels wouldnt that increase the probability for your feet slipping out? Just a thought... Im sure you have good reasons for doing what you are doing but a thought nonetheless.

RENFRO
08-17-11, 9:16 am
Gotta say my feet have never once moved while benching so it doesn't matter what I wear...I can understand this whole concept of pushing from the heels or toes, but wouldn't that in turn raise your ass off the bench? I never counted that as a good lift.

Fail on the flip flops in the gym.

rev8ball
08-17-11, 10:21 am
Gotta say my feet have never once moved while benching so it doesn't matter what I wear...I can understand this whole concept of pushing from the heels or toes, but wouldn't that in turn raise your ass off the bench? I never counted that as a good lift.

A great way to help move big weight in a competition bench is to drive with the legs. If your butt comes off the bench, you lose the force that is generated from the legs, and you'll get 3 red lights.....

Tiny1102
08-17-11, 4:31 pm

I am pushing down on my heals right from the lift-off. My butt never leaves the bench. The purpose is to help raise my arch.