PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifter or bodybuilder benching

Tiny1102
08-15-11, 2:06 pm
Stop flaring your elbows out when you bench. Very bad for your shoulders. Need to train pecs, then do dumbbells. Doing your own lift-off and flaring your elbows are very bad for your shoulders. STOP

Tiny1102
08-15-11, 2:07 pm
Incline, decline, dumbells, ped deck, and cables are all good for pec training. Lift safe.

RENFRO
08-18-11, 8:57 am
Copy that, Tiny. Thanks man.

Tiny1102
08-18-11, 1:38 pm
Copy that, Tiny. Thanks man.

Very welcome

ghost
08-18-11, 1:40 pm
what do you suggest as far as lift off if you have training partner?

Carrnage
08-20-11, 12:45 am
Stop flaring your elbows out when you bench. Very bad for your shoulders. Need to train pecs, then do dumbbells. Doing your own lift-off and flaring your elbows are very bad for your shoulders. STOP

Your best post so far! I hope all the beginners out there see this!

Cellardweller
08-20-11, 9:53 am

I think Ghost is asking if you have any tips for a lift off if you don't have a partner. I fly solo too and am interested.

LegendKillerJosh
08-20-11, 12:36 pm
I think he is saying if you don't have someone to lift off for you and spot, you shouldn't try a very heavy bench press. It's too much of a risk for injury or even worse you could get stuck under the bar if you fail.

B.S.
08-21-11, 12:05 am
wish i would have known this when i first started lifting

Tiny1102
08-23-11, 9:58 am

Basically, you first as a lifter should keep your shoulders pinched back. When your training partner lifts the weight off to you. He should not pull your shoulders out. You do not want to flatten out. If you do. It is the partners jog to hold the weight until you get back, then go into the lift. If you start the lift and you are flat, then you will not be able to get your elbows in.

Tiny1102
08-23-11, 10:00 am
I think he is saying if you don't have someone to lift off for you and spot, you shouldn't try a very heavy bench press. It's too much of a risk for injury or even worse you could get stuck under the bar if you fail.

Yes, if you do not have a partner, then stick to dumbells, cables, and machines. Again, doing your own lift-off is very bad for your shoulders.

Aggression
08-23-11, 10:11 am
niCe post, T. When I was bodybuilding, I often stayed away from the flat bench press b/c I had a tough time with one shoulder joint. Since modifying my form to be more powerlifter-esque, I've been pain free.

Tiny1102
08-23-11, 10:59 am
niCe post, T. When I was bodybuilding, I often stayed away from the flat bench press b/c I had a tough time with one shoulder joint. Since modifying my form to be more powerlifter-esque, I've been pain free.

No Pain, no gain is not true. No pain, serious gains is true.

smoothballer
08-23-11, 1:19 pm

Kicking myself for not going with a lift-off on one set last ME session. Felt a slight pull in both shoulders as I unracked it. I have learned from my mistake and vow to not do it again. I gotta say training by myself sometimes sucks ass for finding good spotters but I will search high and low to find someone before I try it again without it.

Tiny1102
08-25-11, 1:27 pm
Kicking myself for not going with a lift-off on one set last ME session. Felt a slight pull in both shoulders as I unracked it. I have learned from my mistake and vow to not do it again. I gotta say training by myself sometimes sucks ass for finding good spotters but I will search high and low to find someone before I try it again without it.

Just ice your shoulder and take your FLEX. You should be okay. If you feel it when you lift, then move to another exercise. Let your body heal.