PDA

View Full Version : The Mind

RENFRO
08-17-11, 10:20 am
I've come to realize the mind can be the greatest tool one has in the gym...using your thoughts of frustration, anguish, stress...or thoughts of loved ones, goals and aspirations...I just imagine my mind melting all that shit down into a cauldron and pouring it into my veins. It brings focus and power, but what about when the war in the gym for that day is over? I do find peace in knowing I've invested in myself...added one more brick to my human fortress, but in the 22-23 hour block between your battles with iron (or more through off days) how do you keep yourself at bay? How do you cage that beast?

I keep busy as best as I can, but I've moved away from my family and closest friends for my work. I can find peace in being alone, but sometimes I have to battle my own mind. How do you guys deal? Hope to get some interesting responses here. It could be the simplest thing that keeps you on ground level...

RENFRO

KoncreteKyle
08-17-11, 8:19 pm
Very true statement. When people often ask what the "secret" pill is for pro's to get so big, I often tell them "the mind."

Like Arnold once said "its the mind that creates the body." The mind builds "self concepts" so it can prioritize and rationalize how we fit within our environment. This goes in to a great deal of Organizational and Sociocultural theory but understanding that our mind creates barriers to prevent us from doing certain things is a step we all must take and something only a person can discover for them selves. Learning that these barriers are merely constructions and not truth, we typically find the person we THINK we are is no match for the person we REALLY are.

Knowing that the mind is telling me to stop and that it physically cant go anymore, then pounding out 4-5 more reps really tells me the mind is the true enemy. If i know I can't go further but block that out and keep going, than what else am I capable of?