PDA

View Full Version : Incline to Grow

SteelaBalla
08-24-11, 1:58 am
I was reading G-Diesel's incline to grow article on the training articles page. Then, I made some research about it and a lot of studies show that flat bench has a lot less effect on ur pecs than incline bench. In fact, your front delts works almost more than the pecs. One of the bodybuilding magazines had an interview with the strength and conditioning coach of Univ. Alabama and he suggested that flat bench should be a shoulder exercise not a chest exercise.

Now, Im not a powerlifter and not a bodybuilder either. Im in between but if flat bench has a little effect on my chest day then i think i will put it in the bottom of my exercise list.

And shout out to G- Diesel. Great article

BigBlueBear
08-24-11, 3:49 am
Research by Bama? Bullocks! (Okay, die hard Vol talking there. Back to topic)

I wouldn't go all the way out and say flat bench has no use or is a shoulder exercise. It's an old school piece of the pie that made a lot of guys big. That said, oh how I love you incline bench. G knows his shit. I always start my workouts with a form of incline movement (bench, dumbbell, and now of late cg db). Hell, I've quite doing pec dec all together for love of incline flies.

I want an upper chest that small kids can rock climb on, therefore we push that bench up 30 degrees.

C.Coronato
08-24-11, 9:29 am
Good stuff. I have recently changed many of my workouts to begin with more incline movements, and I am certainly a fan. Through the years of heavy flat pressing, I know it certainly still helped me grow, so saying it was a complete shoulder movement, would be odd. I personally, actually would think Incline would be more shoulder work then flat.

Lifting_Is_Life
08-24-11, 1:06 pm
Taking a quote from Tiny, NEVER flare your shoulders, if you keep your elbows tucked, slight arch by dragging your ass in, and drawing your shoulders back, you place your chest in the air to take almost all the stress. Take the weight down slowly onto a spot on the chest and as your pressing(with barbell here) imagine trying to bring your hands together especially at the top and if you don't feel your chest doing almost all the work then I'm just sorry for you...lol

Carrnage
08-24-11, 10:11 pm
I was reading G-Diesel's incline to grow article on the training articles page. Then, I made some research about it and a lot of studies show that flat bench has a lot less effect on ur pecs than incline bench. In fact, your front delts works almost more than the pecs. One of the bodybuilding magazines had an interview with the strength and conditioning coach of Univ. Alabama and he suggested that flat bench should be a shoulder exercise not a chest exercise.

Now, Im not a powerlifter and not a bodybuilder either. Im in between but if flat bench has a little effect on my chest day then i think i will put it in the bottom of my exercise list.

And shout out to G- Diesel. Great article

Its because most people never learn how to bench properly, once you lift your ribcage up, shoulder blades pinned back, stick that chest out and slowly lower it down to your nips, and then explode up without locking out, Boom! chest activaion! But why go through all that trouble? Just do a decline angle, more of a natural range of motion for the pecs for most of us. Feel it too much in your shoulders? Its because your going too heavy, all that stress is going in your shoulders and elbow ligaments, go lighter until you feel it just in your muscle and no where else.