PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter when you sleep?

BarbellManiac
08-27-11, 3:27 am
Due to my AP classes, my sleep cycle is fucked up... Like I'm writing this at 2 in the morning and thinking about training, I fell asleep at 6pm and woke up at 2 am. Very fucked up, but I got my 8 hours. So does it matter when you get your sleep as long as you get your desired amount?

Cranky
08-27-11, 9:00 am
Im a 3rd shifter and usually sleep 11am- 7pm. Doesnt seem to mess up my recovery. Traffic noise sucks though!

Survivor831
08-27-11, 10:02 am
Your body doesn't know what time it is. All that of cares about is if its getting the right amount of sleep and recovery. Eight hours is eight hours no matter what time of day it is.

Cellardweller
08-27-11, 2:07 pm
Until this summer I worked a 12 hour midnight shift. I had a 4 day weekend every other week which made me start sleeping normal before I started my run of nights again. Just sleep and train when you can.

BarbellManiac
08-27-11, 3:15 pm
What about the argument that more melatonin is released in a dark environment, and that we are "designed" to sleep as soon as the sun goes down (which is impractical).

Survivor831
08-27-11, 4:12 pm
Turn all the lights off and paint everything black......lol. JK! Although that may have some truth to it, I say don't over think things. Sleep when you can and listen to your body. If you feel fine then that's good enough.

Mickey
08-27-11, 8:19 pm
Your body doesn't know what time it is. All that of cares about is if its getting the right amount of sleep and recovery. Eight hours is eight hours no matter what time of day it is.

your body will adapt to the situation presented to it, ask anyone who has worked rotating shifts before.

Back To Basics
08-28-11, 5:39 am
I guess you could say it's just nature that we sleep at night, our eyes are not adapted to see in that environment - and if there were no lights you wouldn't see shit at night. What kind of a class schedule do you have that makes it so hard to get sleep at night?

BarbellManiac
08-28-11, 10:43 am
I guess you could say it's just nature that we sleep at night, our eyes are not adapted to see in that environment - and if there were no lights you wouldn't see shit at night. What kind of a class schedule do you have that makes it so hard to get sleep at night?

It's homework primarily, 5-6 hours a night, now if I eat around 3 meals when I'm home, preparing and eating takes time, Training (45 minutes) still takes time, resting for 30-50 minutes post training before studying takes time, by the time I'm done, I'm sleeping around 1:30. Wake up again at 5:30. If I can get around 4 hours of sleep and night and around 3 during the day it would be perfect.

Back To Basics
08-28-11, 6:03 pm
It's homework primarily, 5-6 hours a night, now if I eat around 3 meals when I'm home, preparing and eating takes time, Training (45 minutes) still takes time, resting for 30-50 minutes post training before studying takes time, by the time I'm done, I'm sleeping around 1:30. Wake up again at 5:30. If I can get around 4 hours of sleep and night and around 3 during the day it would be perfect.

5-6 hours of homework, that is intense - My hats off to you man, good work. Luckily for me my class schedule isn't that tight and there's some days where I'll only have one class. Less time at campus = More time training cooking eating or studying. Good luck ! Just sleep as much as you can I guess, who cares when and how - Just do it, try get those 4 hours uninterrupted so you don't mess up your GH Release

BarbellManiac
08-28-11, 8:26 pm
5-6 hours of homework, that is intense - My hats off to you man, good work. Luckily for me my class schedule isn't that tight and there's some days where I'll only have one class. Less time at campus = More time training cooking eating or studying. Good luck ! Just sleep as much as you can I guess, who cares when and how - Just do it, try get those 4 hours uninterrupted so you don't mess up your GH Release

Thanks bro! This is why I get inspiration from guys like House, because of the balanced lifestyle. College is a lot more versatile, but a hell of a lot more hard. I would find balancing life even harder. I guess I'll try to sleep as much and as often as possible. Thanks for the reply.

TigerAce01
08-28-11, 11:06 pm
Frank Zane on sleep:

"Zane's Seminar Comments: Last year, I got into some research with amino acids. I began to do a lot of reading about the amino acid Tryptophan. Tryptophan is what is called a neurotransmitter to the brain. It is the transmitter substance between the nerve cells of the brain. I started taking Tryptophan after some consultations with some nutritionists. I found out it was a very powerful natural tranquilizer. Taken in amounts of 1000 to 2000 grams, it will put you to sleep in about one-half hour. This really relaxed me. I would go to the gym from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. each morning. Then I'd come home and have breakfast and some supplements. Along with this, I would take 2-3- or 4-thousand milligrams of Tryptophan and wait one-half hour. Then I would fall into this very deep relaxed sleep. I would sleep about three or four hours and get up and take care of some business or just lie in the sun. Then I would have another meal and supplements and go to the gym again. Then I would go to bed at around 9:00 p.m. and sleep to 5 a.m. I would repeat this cycle every day. So this amounted to four or five hours of training and ten to twelve hours of sleep a day. I found that the rest helped me grow bigger physically. While Tryptophan is powerful, it is hard to obtain and also expensive."

-Ace

BarbellManiac
08-28-11, 11:13 pm
Frank Zane on sleep:

"Zane's Seminar Comments: Last year, I got into some research with amino acids. I began to do a lot of reading about the amino acid Tryptophan. Tryptophan is what is called a neurotransmitter to the brain. It is the transmitter substance between the nerve cells of the brain. I started taking Tryptophan after some consultations with some nutritionists. I found out it was a very powerful natural tranquilizer. Taken in amounts of 1000 to 2000 grams, it will put you to sleep in about one-half hour. This really relaxed me. I would go to the gym from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. each morning. Then I'd come home and have breakfast and some supplements. Along with this, I would take 2-3- or 4-thousand milligrams of Tryptophan and wait one-half hour. Then I would fall into this very deep relaxed sleep. I would sleep about three or four hours and get up and take care of some business or just lie in the sun. Then I would have another meal and supplements and go to the gym again. Then I would go to bed at around 9:00 p.m. and sleep to 5 a.m. I would repeat this cycle every day. So this amounted to four or five hours of training and ten to twelve hours of sleep a day. I found that the rest helped me grow bigger physically. While Tryptophan is powerful, it is hard to obtain and also expensive."

-Ace

Thanks man, but I don't have trouble falling asleep, even if I take rage like an hour before sleeping. Doesn't seem to affect me. Plus that shit's expensive...

Back To Basics
08-29-11, 3:06 am
Thanks bro! This is why I get inspiration from guys like House, because of the balanced lifestyle. College is a lot more versatile, but a hell of a lot more hard. I would find balancing life even harder. I guess I'll try to sleep as much and as often as possible. Thanks for the reply.

No doubt man, balancing everything and still kicking ass is what it's all about. I love the feeling of being busy as hell, hitting my meals on EXACT times - training goes awesome and you get your school work done. It's awesome to know you did a shit load in one day.

TigerAce01
08-29-11, 8:13 am
Thanks man, but I don't have trouble falling asleep, even if I take rage like an hour before sleeping. Doesn't seem to affect me. Plus that shit's expensive...

I quoted it less for the purpose of information on Tryptophan, and more for the fact that he slept in broken periods throughout the day. My point was showing that as long as you are getting enough rest, and fall into a deep enough sleep to recover, everything will be fine.

And honestly, this article was written in the late 70s, early 80s...tryptophan is now just as cheap as the other amino products out there.

-Ace

almosteasy
09-05-11, 7:24 pm
What about the argument that more melatonin is released in a dark environment, and that we are "designed" to sleep as soon as the sun goes down (which is impractical).

^this does hold some water..i went to a psychology lecture on campus about sleep once and the professor (who studies sleep and brain activity during sleep) said that it is incredibly taxing on the body to not sleep when it is dark out..think about it, the human body has been evolving for thousands of years now and hormonal cycles within the body have also evolved and adapted as well..growth hormones and such are released when the body is supposed to be sleeping (night time) and that is something that has been engrained into the human body over thousands of years..

solomon_caine
09-17-11, 12:02 pm
maybe the length of time for sleep would matter but it still depends on many cases. you really can't expect yourself to fall asleep if you're not sleepy. it'll depend on how you feel. for example, you don't force-feed yourself when you're really not hungry, right? i guess it goes the same way for sleep. btw, I commend you for the unrelenting effort you put through in finishing your class and homework. good things happen to good people, bro, and you're not the type to slack off. but back to the topic, umm...4 hours at night and 3 during the day i guess is fair but you can always extend if you really don't feel like getting up yet. it's what alarm clocks are for, actually.

BarbellManiac
09-17-11, 1:55 pm
Thanks for the responses.