PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question probably... (Powerlifting related)

unfettered
08-27-11, 8:06 pm
Ok so my question might be a dumb one but I just don't know the answer. :(

"Why do powerlifting routines (or atleast the ones I've looked at) start at 50-60% of the lifter's E1RM?"

I'm starting a routine for my first-ever powerlifting competition.
Now I'm new to competition but I'm not new to lifting.
I've never tried to increase a max on one of my lifts by starting a routine with half of my max. It just seems to me that the first 5-7 weeks of a 10-12 week program could be better spent actually working hard and lifting heavy rather than working with 50% of my max.

I'm currently starting week#2 on my routine and have moved up to 55-65% of my lifts but to be honest I'm anxious and feel like I'm wasting time playing with light weight when I could be chasing down a state record for my weight class.

Nix0r
08-27-11, 8:12 pm
What routine are you following? Post it up, and we can see what's going on.

unfettered
08-27-11, 8:41 pm
Here are weeks 4 through 6 of my routine. (Sorry, copying and pasting from spreadsheets is irritating, lol)
Basically for 12 weeks i'm gradually increasing from 50% to (hopefully) 110-115% of my current 1 rep maxes.
Remember, this is just a brief summary.
Assistance exercises (anything that's not bench, squat or deadlift) are always 2-3 sets with 8-12 reps

s.squat = speed squat(w/bands), seated leg curls, seated leg exts, donkey calfs raises
h.squat = heavy squat, DB lunges, seated calf raises

s.bench = speed press(w/bands), tricep pulldowns, single arm tate press, power shrugs
h.bench = heavy bench(w/boards), close-grip press, DB press, incline flys

h.deadlift = deadlift, BB rows, revers-grip pulldowns, leg press

WEEK DAY LIFT WEIGHT SxR
4 m s.squat 65% 8x3
4 t s.bench 65% 8x3
4 w
4 r h.squat 75% 6x3
4 f
4 sa h.bench 75% 8x3
4 su h.deadlift 75% 6x3

WEEK DAY LIFT WEIGHT SxR
5 m s.squat 70% 7x3
5 t s.bench 70% 7x3
5 w
5 r h.squat 80% 6x3
5 f
5 sa h.bench 80% 7x3
5 su h.deadlift 80% 6x3

WEEK DAY LIFT WEIGHT SxR
6 m s.squat 75% 6x3
6 t s.bench 75% 6x3
6 w
6 r h.squat 85% 4x4
6 f
6 sa h.bench 85% 6x3
6 su h.deadlift 85% 4x4

unfettered
08-27-11, 8:46 pm
Just to be clear, I understand the importance of rest and not always working to max effort. I also can see how routines like these are great for peaking. but I just feel like I could be getting stronger.

BigChrisF
08-27-11, 11:33 pm
Seems to me that the heavy days stay lower in percentages because they want to gradually make you accustomed to handling heavier weight without killing you because you are squatting heavy and deadlifting heavy as well as squatting for speed in the same week.

Tiny1102
08-29-11, 1:23 am
I do not like to train bench two days a week. I am a drug-free lifter. My body cannot recoop fast enough. Also, bands are great, but if you use them all the time. Then you are going to have issues with your joints. Better be taking your FLEX.

J Wong
08-29-11, 1:49 am
I do not like to train bench two days a week. I am a drug-free lifter. My body cannot recoop fast enough. Also, bands are great, but if you use them all the time. Then you are going to have issues with your joints. Better be taking your FLEX.

I think a big part of the reason why you dislike training bench two days a week may be due to the fact that you have such a big bench already, and the light work on your other day may still be too much of a workload for you to recover from. Most people can get away with two bench days a week, as long as they moderate their volume/intensity.

Tiny1102
08-29-11, 10:00 am
I think a big part of the reason why you dislike training bench two days a week may be due to the fact that you have such a big bench already, and the light work on your other day may still be too much of a workload for you to recover from. Most people can get away with two bench days a week, as long as they moderate their volume/intensity.

Yes and No. I made the switch from two to one a long time ago. I like the way I felt when I first started speed training on a second day. I would do my normal warm-up and then do 5 sets of 3 with a very low weight and 50 to 75 pound bands. After a little more than a month, I started to have issues with my elbows. My numbers also started to drop. I then went back to one day. The pain went away and my numbers went back up. I may only train once a week, but I am always changing my work-out. Giving my body a full week of rest if not more work best for me and the other lifters I train. From age 10 to 63. All of them make gains every year.

Tiny1102
08-29-11, 10:08 am
Yes and No. I made the switch from two to one a long time ago. I like the way I felt when I first started speed training on a second day. I would do my normal warm-up and then do 5 sets of 3 with a very low weight and 50 to 75 pound bands. After a little more than a month, I started to have issues with my elbows. My numbers also started to drop. I then went back to one day. The pain went away and my numbers went back up. I may only train once a week, but I am always changing my work-out. Giving my body a full week of rest if not more work best for me and the other lifters I train. From age 10 to 63. All of them make gains every year.

Your not going to make gains overtraining. Always try something new, but your body starts to hurt, then you need to stop.

unfettered
08-29-11, 7:45 pm
Ok, this is my first routine ever and so I'm open to suggestions. I'll do fewer bench days for more recovery, I'm all for that. But now should I up the percentages/Intensity of my workouts? I still don't like the idea of benching 50% of my max to get stronger :(

Tiny1102
08-30-11, 8:18 pm
Ok, this is my first routine ever and so I'm open to suggestions. I'll do fewer bench days for more recovery, I'm all for that. But now should I up the percentages/Intensity of my workouts? I still don't like the idea of benching 50% of my max to get stronger :(

I train once a week, but every work-out is heavy. Even if I was doing reps. I am never working only 50%. I will say that every time I train it is different. Only my warm-up is the same.