PDA

View Full Version : Work outside

Tiny1102
08-31-11, 6:35 pm
How many of you work everyday outside? What do you do? And how hot is it where you work?

Mickey
08-31-11, 6:46 pm
i deliver doors for pella-houston, so you know how hot it is. while im in a truck between stops, lugging windows and doors around in 100+ heat aint no cakewalk. one of the doors we delivered today was 533 lbs! before i moved to texas i was up in illinois working for a tree service company under contract with a utility, trimming trees around power lines. for those of you that dont know, illinois gets well above 100 june, july, and august, and below 0 december, january, february. try to climb 100 feet up a tree in that shit. for real though, i would much rather do this that sit behind a desk all day.

Tiny1102
09-01-11, 7:43 pm
Right now I am working in the yard at my job. 110 plus moving chains, wire rope, shackles, and all kinds of crane equipment. It sucks.

BarbellManiac
09-01-11, 7:48 pm
I have mass respect for anyone working a physically demanding job and still being a part of this sport.

Tiny1102
09-02-11, 10:34 am
I have mass respect for anyone working a physically demanding job and still being a part of this sport.

It helps me keep my weight down. lol. Actually, I do feel I have more energy through out the day.

IronWilson
09-02-11, 10:54 am
Waterproofing, plumbing, and cement.....In Ohio right now, it can be only 80 degrees but feel like 110 degrees because of how muggy it is. I have been in real 110 degree weather in Las Vegas, and it was not even near as torturous as summer in Ohio.

You have to keep drinking fluids though. it's amazing how easily your body can fail.

pushin weight
09-02-11, 10:58 am
I used to roof houses, and here in upstate south carolina the 100 degree plus summers along with a shit ton of humidy equals sheer hell...lol. Also did alot of construction work as well, but now i have an inside job and im good with that..:)

Lifting_Is_Life
09-02-11, 12:39 pm
I usually help my family business out being a glazier or out on the road installing windows and mirrors. Up to 120 heat index this summer, definitely was a tough job.

Aggression
09-02-11, 12:43 pm
During my winter breaks from college, I worked for my father's union. I was outside all day in the Jersey winter, doing manual labor. My attire would be jeans lined with flannel, boots, a long sleeve T under a thermal under a sweatshirt under a flannel jacket. And my Animal beanie. And even then, there were days where I was freezing. But I'll tell you what ... I never felt more satisfied/accomplished by day's end.

T o m m Y
09-02-11, 4:23 pm
I work outside everyday..
Im a union ironworker..
Its cooling down a bit now so thats gooood..low 80's each day now...

What do you do tiny?

Tiny1102
09-02-11, 6:48 pm
I work outside everyday..
Im a union ironworker..
Its cooling down a bit now so thats gooood..low 80's each day now...

What do you do tiny?

Well I was hired to do outside sales, but lately I am helping in the yard. We do pull testing, shackles, wire rope, stingers, slings, and much much more. We have two test beds. One is 500,000 and the other is 150,000. Basically, we are checking to see if it or whatever we test hold and does not breaks. We are in a warehouse with 3 large doors no a/c. It has been as hot as 109 with humidity this year. We had temps at 100 or higher for over 30 straight days. I am praying for winter.

Tiny1102
09-02-11, 6:48 pm
Now that is just my day job.

T o m m Y
09-02-11, 7:34 pm
Yeah i hear you on the heat...
It was 120+ for a week or 2 back in aug,it was fucking brutal...
Set new record high temps all over lol..

Tiny1102
09-04-11, 11:00 pm
Finally, temps in the 70's. Thank you GOD!!!!

Mickey
09-05-11, 11:34 am
Finally, temps in the 70's. Thank you GOD!!!!

right there with you man

Solid Dreams
09-05-11, 11:41 am
I don't work outside, but I work in a giant facility with no air conditioning so it's always 15 degrees or so hotter than it is outside. I thought I was going to die when it hit 110+.

Tiny1102
09-06-11, 9:13 am
I don't work outside, but I work in a giant facility with no air conditioning so it's always 15 degrees or so hotter than it is outside. I thought I was going to die when it hit 110+.

That is actually what it is in our warehouse. I think it is over for the year, but you never know.

WeeMan
09-25-11, 9:47 am
How many of you work everyday outside? What do you do? And how hot is it where you work?

i work as a stonemason. heavy lifting is in the job description. the hammer i use all day long is 4lb and so are the chisels, the stones are usualy around my own bodyweight.

temperature this summer was around 15-20 celcius. winter goes down to minus 15-20.

Tiny1102
09-27-11, 8:13 pm
i work as a stonemason. heavy lifting is in the job description. the hammer i use all day long is 4lb and so are the chisels, the stones are usualy around my own bodyweight.

temperature this summer was around 15-20 celcius. winter goes down to minus 15-20.

Looks like you have a fun job to. I try to do a better job using the fork-lifts now, screw the ego. I am there to get paid and not get hurt. If I am going to lift something heavy, it will be in the gym. When I first started, I would just go over and grab things. Not anymore. One day I threw a 7/8 chain over a pipe. It made it over, but then it came back. I caught it a little behind my shoulder. I felt every bit of it. No more of that.

WeeMan
09-28-11, 1:14 pm
Looks like you have a fun job to. I try to do a better job using the fork-lifts now, screw the ego. I am there to get paid and not get hurt. If I am going to lift something heavy, it will be in the gym. When I first started, I would just go over and grab things. Not anymore. One day I threw a 7/8 chain over a pipe. It made it over, but then it came back. I caught it a little behind my shoulder. I felt every bit of it. No more of that.

yeh thats what i did when i worked for my old company, either use the forklift or ask someone to help. now i started my own company and dont have anyone to help me (cant afford to hire labour yet) .
it is fun though!

Tiny1102
09-28-11, 1:41 pm
yeh thats what i did when i worked for my old company, either use the forklift or ask someone to help. now i started my own company and dont have anyone to help me (cant afford to hire labour yet) .
it is fun though!

Well just be carefull. And good luck with the new company.