PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Prioritization (Working Title)

Mickey
08-31-11, 6:58 pm
so i have had this thought in my head for the past few days, and i wanted to bounce it off of some of yall and see what you think. we all know about targeting lagging body parts with priority techniques; what if one were to take it one step further and do the same nutritionally? now, im not saying only eat good on the days you train said body part, im merely suggesting doing above and beyond the norm. say a gainer shake in place of/in addition to your post workout whey, and extra pak, or an additional dose of aminos. let me know what yall think; does this sound like a reasonable plan, or just a waste of supps?

Bruiser
08-31-11, 7:41 pm
This is a great concept and one I've been following for a long time. I always take my Pak first thing in the AM and when I train I take a second one afterwards. I always take aminos pre and post but if I'm training a lagging muscle group I'll double up my aminos. For nutrition, if it's a day I'm training large muscle groups, I like to have a big "cheat" type meal PWO. Of course now I'm following a powerlifting routine so I'm training 3 days a week and it's always a big muscle group.

Mickey
08-31-11, 7:55 pm
For nutrition, if it's a day I'm training large muscle groups, I like to have a big "cheat" type meal PWO. .

i was thinking that if one were carb cycling that training a weak point on a high carb day would be a good plan.

Bruiser
08-31-11, 8:04 pm
i was thinking that if one were carb cycling that training a weak point on a high carb day would be a good plan.

That's EXACTLY what I did during my last cut and it worked great.

BarbellManiac
08-31-11, 8:16 pm
You can do it, but all you need to grow basically is more calories than you expend. And even that has a limit, you see as a natty you can't raise protein synthesis above and beyond your natural capabilities, you can't raise how much nitrogen is in your muscles and around the body, you can't change how your body shuttles those nutrients. An excess in calories like you say by adding a gainer shake, would end up (if it's way beyond your maintenance) in fat gain. That's as simple as I can put it. There is a certain number over maintenance that one's body uses and the rest is either converted to glucose and stored as fat. If (and you should) your diet everyday is 500-900 calories above maintenance (depending on your metabolism, how often you train, and your body type) that should be plenty to grow. Can you raise carbs to increase energy and saturate your muscles with glycogen? Absolutely, but you can't expect the muscle to grow by just eating more on that day, your body has it's limits. Experiment with it and see, but you won't just grow by eating more and more, a certain level is best, and when you plateau, then you raise it.

LegendKillerJosh
09-08-11, 5:05 pm
I think a lagging bodypart is either caused by genetics or a training flaw. If you train the muscle correctly it will catch up in time. I don't know that extra calories on that day would help or not. A surplus of calories is a full body effect. I get what you are saying, that extra calories on a weak point training day would help those muscles grow, but I don't think the body works like that. Hard training should do it. But give it a try, this would be interesting.

What's weird for me is I eat more on off days. I eat a lot on training days, and a ton on off days. Mainly because on training days I don't eat much prior to lifting, especially the pre-workout meal which is always little, and I take aminos postworkout and focus on protein the rest of the night. On off days I eat every 2 hours no matter what, tons of carbs and fat along with my protein, and plus I figure training days are when I burn a lot of calories and rest days are better for focusing only on eating and doing the real growing.

violator
09-08-11, 5:12 pm
Im with Josh & Barbellmaniac on this one.... for example, i dont do anything on my refeed days when im dieting... except eat a shitload of carbs and take the day off to refill glycogen and re-ignite metabolisim.... but i also only eat whats necessary to accomplish that...not a gram more

PORTERHOUSE
09-08-11, 6:27 pm
I think a lagging bodypart is either caused by genetics or a training flaw. If you train the muscle correctly it will catch up in time. I don't know that extra calories on that day would help or not. A surplus of calories is a full body effect. I get what you are saying, that extra calories on a weak point training day would help those muscles grow, but I don't think the body works like that. Hard training should do it. But give it a try, this would be interesting.

What's weird for me is I eat more on off days. I eat a lot on training days, and a ton on off days. Mainly because on training days I don't eat much prior to lifting, especially the pre-workout meal which is always little, and I take aminos postworkout and focus on protein the rest of the night. On off days I eat every 2 hours no matter what, tons of carbs and fat along with my protein, and plus I figure training days are when I burn a lot of calories and rest days are better for focusing only on eating and doing the real growing.

This right here.