PDA

View Full Version : Fans of The Decline Bench?

IronWilson
09-09-11, 10:23 pm
Does anyone else actually like the decline bench? I think you can do it in a way that hits the entire chest, and takes a lot of the pressure off your shoulders. I don't understand why the decline bench is so neglected. Heck, most of the time, it is my only barbell chest movement.

Those who actually do them, it seems to me, usually do them close to last in their chest workout. I used to be one of those people. Then one day I saw Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts Trainer video on Youtube and saw that he uses the decline bench as a primary mass movement for chest. So I tried doing it first in my workout, and I felt it not just in my lower pecs, but the entire muscle group.

It might just be my structure, so it might not be this way for everyone, but I wonder why more people don't use it in place of the flat barbell bench press? I mean, it takes shoulders out of the equation, while obviously involving them to a degree where they will be warmed up for more shoulder-intensive exercises.

Would you ever consider using the decline bench press as a bread-and-butter mass builder for chest?

Carrnage
09-09-11, 11:02 pm
Does anyone else actually like the decline bench? I think you can do it in a way that hits the entire chest, and takes a lot of the pressure off your shoulders. I don't understand why the decline bench is so neglected. Heck, most of the time, it is my only barbell chest movement.

Those who actually do them, it seems to me, usually do them close to last in their chest workout. I used to be one of those people. Then one day I saw Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts Trainer video on Youtube and saw that he uses the decline bench as a primary mass movement for chest. So I tried doing it first in my workout, and I felt it not just in my lower pecs, but the entire muscle group.

It might just be my structure, so it might not be this way for everyone, but I wonder why more people don't use it in place of the flat barbell bench press? I mean, it takes shoulders out of the equation, while obviously involving them to a degree where they will be warmed up for more shoulder-intensive exercises.

Would you ever consider using the decline bench press as a bread-and-butter mass builder for chest?

Me! Me! Me!

A bench press with a decline angle works the whole pec much more than a flat angle. Which equals massive chest growth. And your right, it takes alot of stress off the shoulders and feels more natural to the body!

I feel the reason why people dont use it as their bread and butter chest movement is because they dont see their favorite bodybuilders use or talk about the decline angle, like Jay,Phil,Evan,Frank Mcgrath and so on. Most of us want to do what the pro's do.

My secret to progressive chest gains in size and strength is the bench press with a slight decline or regular decline angle.

Solid Dreams
09-09-11, 11:03 pm
I really enjoy the decline bench, and I can bench a lot more than I can on regular bench.

I never tried doing it as a primary mass builder, however, I usually leave that for incline.

I think that the reason why I'm better at decline is because it does take your shoulders out, and my form naturally falls into the correct position for it.

LegendKillerJosh
09-09-11, 11:58 pm
I really enjoy the decline bench, and I can bench a lot more than I can on regular bench.

I never tried doing it as a primary mass builder, however, I usually leave that for incline.

I think that the reason why I'm better at decline is because it does take your shoulders out, and my form naturally falls into the correct position for it.

I think the reason you can handle more weight is benching at a decline is like benching with a huge arch in your back, which shortens the range dramatically.

To the OP, I think the reason most people avoid decline benching is because it is rumored to lead to a saggy chest. I have no idea whether or not that is true.

greatkeen
09-10-11, 12:41 am
To the OP, I think the reason most people avoid decline benching is because it is rumored to lead to a saggy chest. I have no idea whether or not that is true.

you are right, i heard such things too abt decline presses & in some instances abt dips too... could it be because they feel more in the lower pec.?

Carrnage
09-10-11, 12:58 am
you are right, i heard such things too abt decline presses & in some instances abt dips too... could it be because they feel more in the lower pec.?

Its bullshit. Don't listnen to the blind. Blind people leading blind people never works out good. Decline/dips will taget your whole middle and lower chest, basically your whole chest. Want a chest like arnold's or Branch Warren's? Decline will be your best friend. (yeah i know they dont use the decline)

Lifting_Is_Life
09-10-11, 1:09 am
Its bullshit. Don't listnen to the blind. Blind people leading blind people never works out good. Decline/dips will taget your whole middle and lower chest, basically your whole chest. Want a chest like arnold's or Branch Warren's? Decline will be your best friend. (yeah i know they dont use the decline)

Agreed, I've used decline in place of flat and my chest had much better gains then when i did flat. Honestly, the only place I don't feel this press is my inner upper chest, which is such a small portion that i can hit with some DB incline or incline flyes.

Carrnage
09-10-11, 3:07 am
Agreed, I've used decline in place of flat and my chest had much better gains then when i did flat. Honestly, the only place I don't feel this press is my inner upper chest, which is such a small portion that i can hit with some DB incline or incline flyes.

Yep! Be true to yourself, if you dont feel the targeted muscle working, toss it out or find out why your its not working.

D-Kev
09-10-11, 3:10 am
Put me down as another major fan of the decline barbell...
Just make sure you have a solid spotter!
I usually hit this first and consider it a main mass builder, I feel it in my entire chest
and I'm sore and blown up the next day, lol.

Bros: Don't be one of those guys that just goes for heavy weight, hits 3 reps at most and has his boy 'row' the weight up for him. I see these guys all the time. They don't control the weight. They let the bar slam down on their chest etc...If size and having a physique is your goal AND you want to stay in the game, injury free - lower the weight being used and make the muscle do the work.

Carrnage
09-10-11, 3:13 am
Put me down as another major fan of the decline barbell...
Just make sure you have a solid spotter!
I usually hit this first and consider it a main mass builder, I feel it in my entire chest
and I'm sore and blown up the next day, lol.

Bros: Don't be one of those guys that just goes for heavy weight, hits 3 reps at most and has his boy 'row' the weight up for him. I see these guys all the time. They don't control the weight. They let the bar slam down on their chest etc...If size and having a physique is your goal AND you want to stay in the game, injury free - lower the weight being used and make the muscle do the work.

Yeah man, i wonder what goes through people's head when they train like that? lol

D-Kev
09-10-11, 3:23 am
I don't know either man...I wouldn't have written it if it weren't true.

These are the guys that never grow and don't understand how to balance
different rep ranges for their goals. We're talking average dudes whose only goal should be to
gain size and strength, in a safe manner. Being safe\smart is more 'hardcore' than anything else.

There's only so much you can do, when you're actually in the gym, getting your workout in.
You can take a minute to talk but usually nobody wants to hear it so....
Next year when dude is the same size or injured - maybe then they will wise up?

Lifting_Is_Life
09-10-11, 11:34 am
Agreed, and another thing with making sure to have a spotter on the decline(at least for me) is when i lift off on a decline, i push backwards naturally due to the angle instead of up...which would seriously mess someones shoulders up. so please use a spotter guys on all your lift offs for that matter

Loomis
09-10-11, 11:46 am
I've never done dec bench before, but I'll give it a try.

Quick question... I'm noticing a lot of development with my upper pec, but lower beck seems much flatter. Will dec. bench help, or is there something else you guys would recommend?

Lifting_Is_Life
09-10-11, 11:50 am

Quick question... I'm noticing a lot of development with my upper pec, but lower beck seems much flatter. Will dec. bench help, or is there something else you guys would recommend?

Personally i'd LOVE having a big upper chest hah but yeah it can help, dips is another thing that will target the lower chest

PORTERHOUSE
09-10-11, 1:04 pm
I've tried decline bb over and over again, but for whatever reason I've never been able to hit it just right, and have pretty much dropped it. Some day I may work at it, but I am not worried about my chest development by any means, so I don't sweat it. Plenty of big chests have been built without it.

zubda345
09-10-11, 1:34 pm

101% agreed those ppl say bullshit nothong else i was told bout decline bench press by my uncle and i became a fan of that the 1st day

zubda345
09-10-11, 1:35 pm

Decline bench n dips...

unclejason
09-10-11, 1:47 pm
Decline bench n dips...

I use decline bench about every other chest workout. I'll usually do heavy incline barbell press first followed by heavy flat dumbbell presses then I'll do 3 sets of 20 on decline barbell press. I know this sounds a bit unorthodox because most go super heavy on decline because you're naturally stronger on that than any other press (flat, incline) but this mix has been working pretty well for me.

Joe J
09-10-11, 2:05 pm
'Decline BB press is in my opinion the best and most effective chest exercise' - Dorian Yates

I agree!!

100jan
09-10-11, 3:58 pm
'Decline BB press is in my opinion the best and most effective chest exercise' - Dorian Yates

I agree!!

Amen brother!

After I saw the explanation from Dorian about the decline press, I started doing it, and I wonder why I haven't do it earlier. My pecs started to grow as I wanted. For me it is the best pec exercise. Worth giving a try for those who haven't tried yet, definitely!

Joe J
09-10-11, 4:18 pm
Amen brother!

After I saw the explanation from Dorian about the decline press, I started doing it, and I wonder why I haven't do it earlier. My pecs started to grow as I wanted. For me it is the best pec exercise. Worth giving a try for those who haven't tried yet, definitely!

For sure! I'm actually meeting and training with Dorian on the 25th of october as he doesn't live tthat far from me!

unclejason
09-10-11, 6:09 pm
For sure! I'm actually meeting and training with Dorian on the 25th of october as he doesn't live tthat far from me!

Dude, I envy you man! I've always admired Dorian. Of course I don't know him personally but he just seems like a cool and genuine dude.

Joe J
09-10-11, 6:13 pm
Dude, I envy you man! I've always admired Dorian. Of course I don't know him personally but he just seems like a cool and genuine dude.

I've always religiously followed his training principles so I jumped at the chance to train with him, I just hope I'm at my best on the day!!

Big C
09-10-11, 8:19 pm
I'm a believer in decline, but my views weren't always that way. I hit decline bench about twice a month.

Solid Dreams
09-10-11, 8:47 pm
I've always religiously followed his training principles so I jumped at the chance to train with him, I just hope I'm at my best on the day!!

See if you can find someone to videotape it for you!

I'm new to the actual big thing, before when I was lifting it was only Arnie that I knew about, but Dorian has quickly become one of the tops in my opinion. The Animals themselves are always going to be the tops for me, because theyre here helping, but Dorian was not only amazing, but he seems like such a nice, nice guy.

MELTDOWN
09-10-11, 11:32 pm
Yep! Be true to yourself, if you dont feel the targeted muscle working, toss it out or find out why your its not working.

Good info from the C. Declines work awesome and get overlooked by almost everyone.
My latest "find" is upper, middle, lower days. Last weeks chest was all Flat bench work. This week was all Incline and next week will be all Decline. So far I'm liking 3-4 sets set of standard grip, then wide, then close (and dips in the mix), and finish with a fly. Pumps get pretty good and my chest is growing again (finally) and stays sore for a couple days. Missed those results for a while.

zubda345
09-11-11, 1:11 am
I use decline bench about every other chest workout. I'll usually do heavy incline barbell press first followed by heavy flat dumbbell presses then I'll do 3 sets of 20 on decline barbell press. I know this sounds a bit unorthodox because most go super heavy on decline because you're naturally stronger on that than any other press (flat, incline) but this mix has been working pretty well for me.

If that works for u that's what u should do.

I'm a believer in decline, but my views weren't always that way. I hit decline bench about twice a month.

i love decline, I stopped doing decline bench press for a good time and now I have started doing it again. I just love doing declines cause I can see n feel my chest hit up totally. I like to do declines about every chest workout....

100jan
09-11-11, 5:27 am

Damn brother, I will give everything to be on your place and train with Dorian. As Soild Dreams said, see if you can videotape the workout, so you can share your experience with us. Do your best on that day!

Joe J
09-11-11, 6:58 am
Damn brother, I will give everything to be on your place and train with Dorian. As Soild Dreams said, see if you can videotape the workout, so you can share your experience with us. Do your best on that day!

I'm gonna try my best too find someone to film it, thanks bro!!

Tiny1102
09-13-11, 8:45 am
I love decline. If you do it correct it can really help your form on flat bench. It also helps to have a good decline bench. Some benches either have too much or not enough decline. Try pinching your shoulders back and get a relly good lift-off where your shoulder do not pop out. Keep your elbows in and touch mid ab. Really good for helping your bench form.

Carrnage
09-13-11, 4:38 pm
If that works for u that's what u should do.

i love decline, I stopped doing decline bench press for a good time and now I have started doing it again. I just love doing declines cause I can see n feel my chest hit up totally. I like to do declines about every chest workout....

if that works for U thats what U should do

lol

greatkeen
09-19-11, 4:27 am

you are right, alot out there is BS, based on broscience. but wat if one doesnt want to build big chest? specially NOT like ARNOLDS...??? personal preference you may call it, but i would prefer John Cena like chest over any other pro BB, should be shapped well rounded into the arm pits, but really not bulging out specially when wearing a tshirt or something. so what excercise should one focus on? i am sure presses (flat/decline) would be down the list then??

i am kinda shoulder guy, & hate it when a big girly chest tend to be portuding out stealing the spot light from your gf clevage..lolz.

IronWilson
09-19-11, 8:27 am
you are right, alot out there is BS, based on broscience. but wat if one doesnt want to build big chest? specially NOT like ARNOLDS...??? personal preference you may call it, but i would prefer John Cena like chest over any other pro BB, should be shapped well rounded into the arm pits, but really not bulging out specially when wearing a tshirt or something. so what excercise should one focus on? i am sure presses (flat/decline) would be down the list then??

i am kinda shoulder guy, & hate it when a big girly chest tend to be portuding out stealing the spot light from your gf clevage..lolz.

John Cena was a bodybuilder before he was a wrestler. You have to aim to get a chest like Arnolds in order to get a chest like John Cenas.

Make sense?

Carrnage
09-19-11, 6:30 pm

Heres the truth:

Son, you aint gonna build a chest like Arnold's even if you were to take what he was taking and do the same exercises he was using! Your shape and the amount of thickness potential is genetic. Your chest most likely isnt gonna look like Arnold's or John Cena's. Your chest is gonna look like nobodies but yours! Your goal is to fullfill your potential but growing those muscles to its potential. Dont want them to get big? Well with your attitude they prolly wont get too big! But in other words, dont want a big chest? Dont fucking train your chest then. Or go in a corner and do a bunch of volume with pushups or some pussycrap like pec decks. That will still add muscle but at a slower rate. Now why would you wanna half-ass your potential? That goes for anything in life. Keep pounding that chest with heavy bench presses from the decline/incline angles, hey, once you built a good amount of size in your pecs, i gurantee you will like it and you will want MORE!

haha Sorry if i was a little mean.....but sometimes people gotta get their asses kicked before proceeding to greatness. But yeah man, shape and the density potential of a muscle is all genetic, everyone is gonna look different no matter what.

Carrnage
09-19-11, 6:32 pm
Heres the truth:

Son, you aint gonna build a chest like Arnold's even if you were to take what he was taking and do the same exercises he was using! Your shape and the amount of thickness potential is genetic. Your chest most likely isnt gonna look like Arnold's or John Cena's. Your chest is gonna look like nobodies but yours! Your goal is to fullfill your potential but growing those muscles to its potential. Dont want them to get big? Well with your attitude they prolly wont get too big! But in other words, dont want a big chest? Dont fucking train your chest then. Or go in a corner and do a bunch of volume with pushups or some pussycrap like pec decks. That will still add muscle but at a slower rate. Now why would you wanna half-ass your potential? That goes for anything in life. Keep pounding that chest with heavy bench presses from the decline/incline angles, hey, once you built a good amount of size in your pecs, i gurantee you will like it and you will want MORE!

haha Sorry if i was a little mean.....but sometimes people gotta get their asses kicked before proceeding to greatness. But yeah man, shape and the density potential of a muscle is all genetic, everyone is gonna look different no matter what.

Sorry if i offended anyone by saying pec decks were a pussy exercise. I know even something as small as that remark will cause haters/trolls to attack me. Again, i apoligze if their are any pec deck lovers in here.

Joe J
09-19-11, 6:38 pm

Is this post a joke?

'i am kinda shoulder guy, & hate it when a big girly chest tend to be portuding out stealing the spot light from your gf clevage..lolz.'

Come on bro, I feel like I'm on the bodybuilding.com forum reading shit like that.

Carrnage
09-19-11, 6:44 pm
Is this post a joke?

'i am kinda shoulder guy, & hate it when a big girly chest tend to be portuding out stealing the spot light from your gf clevage..lolz.'

Come on bro, I feel like I'm on the bodybuilding.com forum reading shit like that.

lololololol hahahah bodybuilding.com forums hahah so many lost/confused/bro scienced filled people/kids on those forums! thanks for the laugh!

Joe J
09-19-11, 6:48 pm
lololololol hahahah bodybuilding.com forums hahah so many lost/confused/bro scienced filled people/kids on those forums! thanks for the laugh!

"Ill have you banned from these forums son" - Carrnage

Haha!!

Carrnage
09-19-11, 7:08 pm
"Ill have you banned from these forums son" - Carrnage

Haha!!

hahaah oh man....i had to make it a signature

greatkeen
09-20-11, 1:29 am
[/QUOTE]
John Cena was a bodybuilder before he was a wrestler. You have to aim to get a chest like Arnolds in order to get a chest like John Cenas.

Make sense? .[/QUOTE]

hell NO it doesnt make any sense. I know wat cena was before turning to wrestling, back then he had a nicely defined chest. anyways no point arguing.

Is this post a joke?

and just wat makes u feel so dear? is it follow the herd mentality that everyone just has to agree & talk in the same fashion? come on man that makes me feel like i am on joe weider.gov seeing such mindless unification.

and to you Carnage, offcourse i didnt mind wat u said, infact in that u mentioned of push ups, something which is pretty manly but neglected by the mainstreem bodybuilding mentality..working up ur pushups can be really great for a very asthetically pleasing pectoral development. so i will just add those into the routine u outlined for me, and see where they take me.

and yes Peck Deck rocks !!!

Joe J
09-20-11, 4:20 am

Make sense? .[/QUOTE]

hell NO it doesnt make any sense. I know wat cena was before turning to wrestling, back then he had a nicely defined chest. anyways no point arguing.

and just wat makes u feel so dear? is it follow the herd mentality that everyone just has to agree & talk in the same fashion? come on man that makes me feel like i am on joe weider.gov seeing such mindless unification.

and to you Carnage, offcourse i didnt mind wat u said, infact in that u mentioned of push ups, something which is pretty manly but neglected by the mainstreem bodybuilding mentality..working up ur pushups can be really great for a very asthetically pleasing pectoral development. so i will just add those into the routine u outlined for me, and see where they take me.

and yes Peck Deck rocks !!![/QUOTE]

Its not 'mindless unification'. The fact is that this is a forum of bodybuilders and powerlifters, and saying ignorant stuff like that will gain you no respect. Of course it's your opinion, but then to use a simile to compare a bodybuilders chest to a womans breast is ridiculous.

IronWilson
09-20-11, 8:17 am

If you come here to ask us questions, why attack us when we give you answers?

If you ask John Cena about his chest workout, it is going to be the same as any bodybuilder. Because these are the exercises that work.

Want the raw truth? Genetics and drugs play a huge role in a huge chest and other humongous muscle group. So that is why I am saying that you need to think like physique athlete in order to achieve your goal.

PORTERHOUSE
09-20-11, 9:16 am
Heres the truth:

haha this is a great post.

PORTERHOUSE
09-20-11, 9:21 am

If man/girlfriend tit ratio is important to you, maybe you need to find a woman with better "proportions".

hehe.

Carrnage
09-20-11, 3:25 pm

Make sense? .[/QUOTE]

If your fat as fuck and weak as fuck, and you can barely manage to do 8-12 pushups then yes, pushups may serve as a valuable tool. But if you can do 50-200 pushups at one time then dont expect nothing out of it but burned calories.

and yes Peck Deck rocks !!![/QUOTE]

If your fat as fuck and weak as fuck, and you can barely manage to do 8-12 pushups then yes, pushups may serve as a valuable tool. But if you can do 50-200 pushups at one time then dont expect nothing out of it but burned calories.

unclejason
09-20-11, 3:56 pm
Want the raw truth? Genetics and drugs play a huge role in a huge chest and other humongous muscle group. So that is why I am saying that you need to think like physique athlete in order to achieve your goal.

Lotta truth to this man.

We could all do the exact same exercises, and even go as far as the exact same nutrition plan and supplements, for a year and I bet we'd all still look different from one another based on our genetics/structure.

It's still good to have an idea planted in your head of what you wanna look like and go for that. In that respect, I think if you visualize yourself being successful, you will be (you chest may not look exactly like Arnold's or Cena's but it'll be something you can be proud of that you built).

greatkeen
09-21-11, 12:16 am
Its not 'mindless unification'. The fact is that this is a forum of bodybuilders and powerlifters, and saying ignorant stuff like that will gain you no respect. Of course it's your opinion, but then to use a simile to compare a bodybuilders chest to a womans breast is ridiculous.

first my appologies to all for being too harsh earlier.

i have seen & know many guys who have very good chest development from yrs of heavy bench pressing, and biceps offcourse (may be its just my gym;-) but simply no width in thier frames coz they hardly ever work thier shoulders or thier backs. so this creates such a rectangular shape which is quite thick from sides becoz chest is hanging all out...

anyhow, i know if one has well developed shoulders, arms, back, thighs, but no chest...well that wouldnt look any good too, it all in the proportions.

Carrnage
09-21-11, 6:42 pm
first my appologies to all for being too harsh earlier.

i have seen & know many guys who have very good chest development from yrs of heavy bench pressing, and biceps offcourse (may be its just my gym;-) but simply no width in thier frames coz they hardly ever work thier shoulders or thier backs. so this creates such a rectangular shape which is quite thick from sides becoz chest is hanging all out...

anyhow, i know if one has well developed shoulders, arms, back, thighs, but no chest...well that wouldnt look any good too, it all in the proportions.

Just train your whole body hard and heavy, feel the stretch/contractions on every rep, dont lockout on any movement, keep constant tension on the muscle through the entire set, eat your wheateas, say your prayers, take your vitamins and within a year youl look like Antoine V. (ok prolly not! lol)

Cellardweller
09-21-11, 6:45 pm
Q: I have been speaking to a few guys at my gym and they the decline press is useless. What do you think?

A: In my opinion, the decline is just a wasted movement. Your chest will not shrink if you stop doing them, but I’d do more incline and flat work. Declines don't really hit the chest. They provide a very limited motion and don't really hit the chest.

Found this today. Twice the response states it doesn't really hit the chest. So what does it hit? Maybe this needs to be updated or maybe someone could explain this further. I understand from a bodybuilder perspective that inclines are king. Would you guys say decline presses are more of a power move or is there a place in bodybuilding for them? Personally I love declines.

Solid Dreams
09-21-11, 7:58 pm
Looking at Dorian Yates, I'd say that he was definitely doing something right. He's so damn scientific about everything that he made sure everything he did had a purpose.

But he preaches a slight decline, not a full tilt head on the ground decline angle.

Carrnage
09-22-11, 1:47 am
Found this today. Twice the response states it doesn't really hit the chest. So what does it hit? Maybe this needs to be updated or maybe someone could explain this further. I understand from a bodybuilder perspective that inclines are king. Would you guys say decline presses are more of a power move or is there a place in bodybuilding for them? Personally I love declines.

Thats 1 person stating that declines are useless. 1 fucking person.

Go try it out for yourself, you should only believe in you. The people saying declines dont work is because they never took the time to adjust their form and feel the muscle torque(tension). It may take years to master a basic compound movement but its well worth it.

Decline more of a power move or is there a place in bodybuilding for them? I think you have the wrong view on alot of things. But in this situation, i can tell ya, all compound movements can be considered "power movements", its the way you do the movement which will dictate if its a power or bodybuilding exercise. Shoulder blades back, ribcage sticked out, lats tight, focus on bringing your hands togethere when using a barbell, your hands wont come togethere, instead your pecs will stretch and contract thus leading to growth.

Its just a matter of learning/mastering a movement. You may go do a movement and you dont feel it, you can be a meathead and just say "fuck it" and ditch the exercise for life and go on various forum websites and complain how shitty that particular movement is. Sadly, some people will believe anything they see on the web.

Good Luck.

Carrnage
09-22-11, 1:51 am
Thats 1 person stating that declines are useless. 1 fucking person.

Go try it out for yourself, you should only believe in you. The people saying declines dont work is because they never took the time to adjust their form and feel the muscle torque(tension). It may take years to master a basic compound movement but its well worth it.

Decline more of a power move or is there a place in bodybuilding for them? I think you have the wrong view on alot of things. But in this situation, i can tell ya, all compound movements can be considered "power movements", its the way you do the movement which will dictate if its a power or bodybuilding exercise. Shoulder blades back, ribcage sticked out, lats tight, focus on bringing your hands togethere when using a barbell, your hands wont come togethere, instead your pecs will stretch and contract thus leading to growth.

Its just a matter of learning/mastering a movement. You may go do a movement and you dont feel it, you can be a meathead and just say "fuck it" and ditch the exercise for life and go on various forum websites and complain how shitty that particular movement is. Sadly, some people will believe anything they see on the web.

Good Luck.

Oh and I consider the decline as a "bench press that targets the pecs". The flat bench is pretty much the same thing, just less pec involvement and more rotator cuff tension.

Which one should you do for huge pecs? Hmmmm

Pssstt.....Hey you! Yeah im talkin to you!!! Pick the one that actually targets the muscle and less on the joints!

Joe J
09-22-11, 2:50 am
No, decline is NOT useless and is NOT a wasted movement. People tend to bring the bar down to mid ab area, but Yates says in many seminars and training videos that you should bring it down to just below the nipple, and keeping one line of movement. I believe this is where most people trying to maximise pec involvement are going wrong.

Cellardweller
09-22-11, 11:03 am
I do decline bench regularly. I just found it interesting that it says that in the Training FAQ.

ruiner_zer0
09-23-11, 5:57 am
Reverse-Grip Flat Bench Press Targets your lower chest more, try it ;)