PDA

View Full Version : Who's winning the 2011 World's Strongest Man?

LegendKillerJosh
09-12-11, 10:32 pm
The qualifiers start this Thursday, and the finals are next Wed and Thurs. Who do you guys predict will win? It's hard to not go with Brian Shaw. If Derek Poundstone is healthy he is possibly the best guy there. The Big Z of course might be the strongest champion of all time. With a stacked field of guys like Best, Bergmann, Katona, Ortmayer, Hollands, Jenkins, Lalas, Boyer, Shahlei, and Stefan Solvi it really could be anyone. Who do you got?

LegendKillerJosh
09-19-11, 1:49 pm
Alright guys the heats are over and we have our finalists, I think it is a very strong finals, there are a lot of dark horses and no true bankers. It honestly could be anyone. Here they are:

Brian Shaw, Thor Bjornsson, Ervin Katona, Laurance Shahlei, Terry Hollands, Vytataus Lalas, Zydrunas Savickas, MIke Jenkins, Derek Poundstone and Stefan Solvi Petursson.

Those are some great competitors at the peak of their games, considering how many very strong guys didn't make the finals like Blekatis, Boyer, Bergmann, Ortmayer, Felix and Nick Best, that really speaks volumes about the guys like Shahlei, Jenkins, Lalas, Katona, Bjornsson and Petursson who did make it. I can't wait to see who wins.

LegendKillerJosh
09-24-11, 12:02 am
It's over!!! Shaw got it done. WOW this kid is amazing. At just age 29 he is the tallest, heaviest and strongest man in the world today. He's got many bright years ahead of him to add to his already brilliant career. 3rd in the world at the 2009, 2nd in 2010 and this years champion. He was also the 2009 strongman super series overall champion, congratulation Brian. You are doing America proud.

BigChrisF
09-24-11, 4:14 pm
I would have bet on Zydrunas Savickas to win, but with this year's field, I wouldn't have made a big bet. It surprises me to see so many heavy people at the top of this year's podium. In past years the MetRx competition has been slanted to favor speed and agility rather than brute strength. I'm also surprised to see that Hollands has made the podium. Especially amongst such a highly competitive field as this years.

LegendKillerJosh
09-30-11, 8:15 pm
I would have bet on Zydrunas Savickas to win, but with this year's field, I wouldn't have made a big bet. It surprises me to see so many heavy people at the top of this year's podium. In past years the MetRx competition has been slanted to favor speed and agility rather than brute strength. I'm also surprised to see that Hollands has made the podium. Especially amongst such a highly competitive field as this years.

It seemed like Hollands always got hurt or had something go wrong that kept him off the podium in years past. He has always been one of the biggest guys and he sure earned his podium finish this year. And Shahlei in 4th, I'm impressed by that. I like Stefan Solvi too and wouldn't be suprised to see him win someday. He has the viking blood and was Icelands strongest by 21 or 22 years old. He's got a brilliant career. I think Poundstone will win in one of the next few years too. I don't know why he nevers seems to do as good at the World's as he does at the Arnold, Mohegan and most other comps.

Flash419
09-30-11, 9:29 pm
I don't follow the Strongman scene very much..

But what ever happen to Marius?

Brick By Brick
10-01-11, 3:31 pm
Marius retired to be an MMA fighter. I guess he has a boxing background, so he thought he could make a go of it. Very proud of Brian Shaw for winning WSM, this has been a hell of a year for Colorado strength athletes on the international and national stage. Shaw is a very nice, humble guy, and will be a great representative for our sport.