PDA

View Full Version : Animals in the armed forces

korn_fed
09-15-11, 8:57 pm
Hey brothers,
So I'm in my senior year of high school, and I'm deciding what I want to do with the rest of my life. One of my options is to go into the armed forces, either the marines or the army. I had a three hour meeting at my house with an army recruiter today and he really opened up my eyes to what being in the force is all about, and honestly I'm all for it. So my question is is it possible to be a bodybuilder and be in the forces? And when I say bodybuilder, I don't mean bodybuilding as a hobby, I mean going pro in bodybuilding, winning top tier shows, etc. because I don't think I could sacrifice my dream of being Mr. Olympia if thats what I had to do to join the military. Also, what do you guys in the forces already think about it? what are the pros, what are the cons? when did you join, and for what reason? im just trying to soak up as much knowledge about every option before I make a choice.

Back To Basics
09-16-11, 5:05 am
http://muscle.iuhu.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cedric-mcmillan-back-workout-army-photo.jpg

http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/12/60/04/68/march_11.jpg

korn_fed
09-16-11, 4:24 pm
http://muscle.iuhu.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cedric-mcmillan-back-workout-army-photo.jpg

http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/12/60/04/68/march_11.jpg

good point, i thought about him the whole time the recruiter was showing me the training videos. What had me concerned though was when I saw the marine graduation video from paris island of my friends brother, all of them looked like skin and bones, and he said the longest they went without eating was 12 hours

1983MEENMAN
09-16-11, 11:30 pm
Hey brothers,
So I'm in my senior year of high school, and I'm deciding what I want to do with the rest of my life. One of my options is to go into the armed forces, either the marines or the army. I had a three hour meeting at my house with an army recruiter today and he really opened up my eyes to what being in the force is all about, and honestly I'm all for it. So my question is is it possible to be a bodybuilder and be in the forces? And when I say bodybuilder, I don't mean bodybuilding as a hobby, I mean going pro in bodybuilding, winning top tier shows, etc. because I don't think I could sacrifice my dream of being Mr. Olympia if thats what I had to do to join the military. Also, what do you guys in the forces already think about it? what are the pros, what are the cons? when did you join, and for what reason? im just trying to soak up as much knowledge about every option before I make a choice.

You can do it but you have to remember your first year if not two will be boot camp, technical training, upgrade training to be certified in your career field. Remember too the recruiters sole job is to get people to enlist to meet a quota so they stay "gainfully" employed. You need to really do your research as I was fooled into a job that was 100% opposite what I was told...Combat Controller I was told I would be informed tanks where to go...yeah about that haha. I think you should also get with an Air Force and Navy recruiter too as all branches are good but the two you mentioned are deployment saturated and with your wanting to go pro and/or obtain a pro card really wont give you the time and focus you'll want/need. I think the lifestyle and requirements enforced or as they say now "bestowed" upon you will help you form the discipline and self sacrifice that you will use in you pursuit of your bodybuilding career. It is not easy and it is nothing like any movies that have been made. Lastly, if you really really want to take bodybuilding as a career I would reccomend looking into the services career field in the Air Force I think it is MWR Rep in other branches but you work the gyms, chow halls, lodging but in the process you get a personal trainer certification. My friend got out and makes 6 digits in Los Angeles managing hotels after 5 years of service. But the major perk is the medical, gyms at nearly every installation/garrison/camp, cheap food, free housing (dorms...but the stipulation is to keep that bad boy cean 24/7 and if you ever go to korea youll see how hard that is after a nasty night of Soju warfare) Either way do your research and dont jump to the notions of money, false promises and job description inflation.

AzCrazy1
09-17-11, 11:10 pm
My son is in the Air Force and about six months prior basic he was working out about six days a week to bulk up. After his 8-1/2 weeks at BMT he had lost 27lbs (I lost 26lbs during training). Once he got to tech school and had a routine he was able to hit the gym on the base. A few years later he is up 40lbs and looks great. There are a few other Airmen that hit the gym with him several times a week.

JasonG
09-18-11, 2:03 am
David Henry is active duty Air Force. Couldn't compete this year because he was deployed. It's not going to be easy to compete being in the military but it can be done.

RENFRO
09-19-11, 2:09 pm
Active Duty Air Force here. I'd say before you worry about making bodyguilding a career within the armed forces, you worry about researching the armed forces...the REAL armed forces...not just what a recruiter says. Find some friends and start asking some real questions (just like this thread, good idea). Someone already mentioned it, but be ready to lose weight and size during boot/tech training. I've been on active after I graduated college for almost a year now and I'm the heaviest I've ever been. Solid, good weight.

Really ask yourself if you're willing to serve the country...drop of hat go overseas and be eating MRE's and working out in 110+ degree tents. I haven't been deployed yet, but do hope to be so I can do my part. As an Animal, I'll find a way to get my grub and my training in, period. Just get your mind and heart right before you make a solid commitment. Best of luck.

RENFRO

korn_fed
09-19-11, 7:55 pm
Thank you to everyone who's responded so far, your advice goes a long way. I definitely have to do more research, and I'd like to meet with recruiters from the other three branches (as far as a marine recruiter goes, I may just talk to my grandfather to see what the REAL deal is). The loss of weight is just something I'd have to deal with, but then again, I have the rest of my life to gain that weight back, seeing as I'm only 17, and would either be joining the forces at 18, out of high school, or at 22, after four years in college. I just feel like if I did join a branch of the military, I'd be able to go places. I've always been a strong leader, an adrenaline junkie, and not only do I never back down to a challenge, but I love going beyond what the challenge is asking. I'm one of those types of people who can't stand to be just another person in the crowd, and I'm constantly looking for weighs to prove myself, whether that be intellectually or physically. Now I'm sure half if not more of the kids coming out of high school that are joining the forces think the same way I do, that they are certain to be a valuable asset to the military, which is why I'm not trying to get ahead of myself.
Again, thank you guys so much for all the info.