PDA

View Full Version : New Olympia Qualifications

MRmichael.hooker
09-22-11, 5:53 pm
Some new rules to qualify have come out for the Olympia. I like it.

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/news/breaking-news/3629-new-olympia-qualifying-rules-for-mens-bodybuilding.html

Bruiser
09-23-11, 6:41 am
I like this too. There is one thing I think would make it a lot more interesting though. If the O winner wasn't an automatic "In" for the next year. I understand that that's part of it, by winning you're automatically invited back, but it gives an unfair advantage too. Then the Mr O has all year to focus on just one show. Where everyone else still has to compete at least once more. That's why we've seen the domination by individual BBs over the past few decades. It's going to be easier to win 3-4 times in a row if you don't have to do any other shows. I just think it would level the playing field and give new talent an opportunity to win at the big show. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's "easy" for anyone to win the O, but there is definitely an advantage given to whoever is the current Mr O at the time.

MRmichael.hooker
09-23-11, 6:11 pm
I like this too. There is one thing I think would make it a lot more interesting though. If the O winner wasn't an automatic "In" for the next year. I understand that that's part of it, by winning you're automatically invited back, but it gives an unfair advantage too. Then the Mr O has all year to focus on just one show. Where everyone else still has to compete at least once more. That's why we've seen the domination by individual BBs over the past few decades. It's going to be easier to win 3-4 times in a row if you don't have to do any other shows. I just think it would level the playing field and give new talent an opportunity to win at the big show. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's "easy" for anyone to win the O, but there is definitely an advantage given to whoever is the current Mr O at the time.

I agree and disagree. I do see the point in that the top 4 do get it a little easier by only prepping for that one show, but they earned it too. They were the 4 best in the entire world. But doing 2, you can get a great rebound period to make some growth, and you get to try something new in your prep (carb loading, water, sodium, etc) to see if something else works better for you, instead of trying and possibly failing at the O. I do really like how you have to WIN a show to get to go to the O.