PDA

View Full Version : The Deadlift...

Lifting_Is_Life
09-26-11, 10:54 pm
Okay, so I am one of those guys who love watching videos on youtube and such. I stumbled across this deadlift video and really liked the strength and control shown and such I commented. This was the reply to what some people had to say to me about the deadlift...

1)"dude i think ur mental or somethin how r u gonna say the deadlift is a back exercise if u do a deadlift workout on monday and wake up on tuesday do u want ur back to be sore or legs if ur back is sore im sure that meens u have bad form y do u think powerlifting meets have deadlift squat an bench u think they would have u do a exercise that targets ur back no way get ur facts straight and think the next time u comment." I don't get this at all LOL

2)"this isnt a deadlift, this is a straightleg deadlift, you have terrible form regardless of which exercise it is but it looks more like a straightleg deadlift, regardless of what you tried to do, ur lower back is jacked to death, but deadlift is supposed to target the legs, not the lower back, good luck with what you plan to do but deffinetly work on your form" I'd like to point out the DEADLIFT IS SUPPOSED TO TARGET THE LEGS

I explained that yes the deadlift has many secondary muscles used but the deadlift is mainly for thickening your back. I found this very funny and thought I'd share lol

Kowboy
09-27-11, 9:27 am
Yeah, I always thought the deadlift hit the back as well. That is where I feel it along w/ my hammy's. The internet is full of idiots.

PORTERHOUSE
09-27-11, 9:37 am
The dead lift works the entire posterior chain, so to say it targets only the legs or is mainly for back would be incorrect. Your back strengthens from dead lifting by resisting the urge to curl, your hamstrings will get hit from the initial pull from the ground and support on the way up. There's more to it than that, but in a nutshell, an old school dead that is dinged off the ground will work both pretty equally.

Some guys try to isolate the lower back more by not going all the way to the ground... this is a better way to keep your legs out of it. I personally have had lower back injuries in the past and pausing before I hit the ground seems to reignite that old injury, so I still ding 'em off the ground.

Kowboy
09-27-11, 9:40 am
Yeah I definitely go off the ground as well, I will do something else if I want to target my lower back. Then again at my gym I have only seen 2 other people ever deadlift

Lifting_Is_Life
09-27-11, 12:07 pm
The dead lift works the entire posterior chain, so to say it targets only the legs or is mainly for back would be incorrect. Your back strengthens from dead lifting by resisting the urge to curl, your hamstrings will get hit from the initial pull from the ground and support on the way up. There's more to it than that, but in a nutshell, an old school dead that is dinged off the ground will work both pretty equally.

Some guys try to isolate the lower back more by not going all the way to the ground... this is a better way to keep your legs out of it. I personally have had lower back injuries in the past and pausing before I hit the ground seems to reignite that old injury, so I still ding 'em off the ground.

I have clearly explained to them that it does hit the hams, gluts and all the way up the back to traps. But they consistently believe they are only to build legs. That's what I have a problem with

Kowboy
09-27-11, 12:11 pm
I hear ya, I don't even respond to most things on the internet anymore.

Gorilla.
09-27-11, 10:18 pm
I remember when I didn't know what a Deadlift was....

N. Motta
09-27-11, 10:23 pm
I don't even respond to most things on the internet anymore.

This has served me well. Even on this Forvm.