PDA

View Full Version : Does training legs make your waist bigger?

Tiny1102
09-28-11, 3:19 pm
Does training legs make your waist bigger? Or does certain leg exercise like squats make your waist bigger?

MRmichael.hooker
09-28-11, 3:22 pm
Im not really sure, but I know Rich Gaspari said he would stop doing exercises like squats & deads around 8 weeks out from the O because he didnt want his waist to thicken up

Aggression
09-28-11, 3:46 pm
Since I've began a Westside template that heavily focuses on heavy singles with squats and deads, my waist has gotten slightly larger. However, that could be from all the extra, delicious calories I've been consuming as of late, haha.

Wycked
09-28-11, 4:02 pm
Without question exercises like heavy squats will thicken the waist line and perhaps cause distention of the abdominal wall. There is a simple remedy to keep this growth to a minimum though. Wear a belt. And not a shitty cardillo belt or schiek belt but a real belt like an InZer belt. The reason being unless u have a very small torso region and therefore a condensed u need a thicker and wider belt to cover the abdomen therefore holding the ab wall back. Wearing a belt prevents the ab wall from blowing out during the action of heavy squatting and other exercises like squats and perhaps deadlifts, barbell rows.

I recommend and also practice the use of a belt and therefore wear a belt for every exercise of every workout. I do this bc due to a very well developed core from playing football I have issues with a wider mid section. Last year I brought my waist down 4 inches @ show time from the year prior

MRmichael.hooker
09-28-11, 4:22 pm
I recommend and also practice the use of a belt and therefore wear a belt for every exercise of every workout. I do this bc due to a very well developed core from playing football I have issues with a wider mid section. Last year I brought my waist down 4 inches @ show time from the year prior

Fuckin agree 120%. I use to even wear it as tight as i could at work for a few hours each day. Not gonna lie, its not comfortable, but then again none of the pain we inflict on ourselves in the gym is comfortable. None of the plain fish & brown rice is comfortable, but all just a tool towards the finished product. But wearing a good belt a lot really helped my midsection tighten up too

Aggression
09-28-11, 4:24 pm
Last year I brought my waist down 4 inches @ show time from the year prior

Damn, that's a big improvement. niCe.

Back To Basics
09-28-11, 5:37 pm
Nice improvement Mike, But I don't agree 100% with that..
Simply because there are sooo many views on the belt keeping your waist tight, Evan NEVER wears a belt - squats five plates and dead lifts 500 but I've never seen his stomach look even a little distended on stage. Phil heath removed his belt to try and keep his waist tight in his prep for this years Olympia and we all know how that went down.

Than you have your story how you brought down your waist 4 inches with a belt, which is awesome.
I say just see what works for you, because there are so many guys with tight waists that squat and deadlift. I really do think stomach distention comes from too much food.

Carrnage
09-28-11, 9:02 pm
Im not really sure, but I know Rich Gaspari said he would stop doing exercises like squats & deads around 8 weeks out from the O because he didnt want his waist to thicken up

I got alot of respect for Rich and his company, but the man is full of broscience.

Carrnage
09-28-11, 9:04 pm
No! it Will not!!

Keep deadlifting and squatting until your dead. Then when your in Heaven, kindly ask for a barbell with plates and a squat rack and continue your Earthly-Hood doings.

:)

Wycked
09-29-11, 12:12 pm
I'm not saying by any means that these exercises are the death of the small waist by any means. Those who are genetically gifted with a smaller waistline will have no problems doing these exercise. But speaking from personal experience having always been a thicker waisted guy the belt has worked for me and keeping my carb choice relatively gluten free.

The guys u mention probably don't have the smallest waists in the world either but their genetic muscle make up and proportions give the illusion of a tiny waist. If u have quads like evan and his shoulder width u can make any waistline appear smaller than it really is

And not to burst anyone's bubble or delve into a topic that isn't discussed on this board but the use of anabolic and androgenic steroids will cause the muscles of the stomach wall and lining to grow and therefore cause distention as well so before u go blaming food let's be Real for a second here

Carrnage
09-29-11, 2:34 pm
i'm not saying by any means that these exercises are the death of the small waist by any means. Those who are genetically gifted with a smaller waistline will have no problems doing these exercise. But speaking from personal experience having always been a thicker waisted guy the belt has worked for me and keeping my carb choice relatively gluten free.

The guys u mention probably don't have the smallest waists in the world either but their genetic muscle make up and proportions give the illusion of a tiny waist. If u have quads like evan and his shoulder width u can make any waistline appear smaller than it really is

and not to burst anyone's bubble or delve into a topic that isn't discussed on this board but the use of anabolic and androgenic steroids will cause the muscles of the stomach wall and lining to grow and therefore cause distention as well so before u go blaming food let's be real for a second here

fuck yeahhh!!!!!! The truth!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!

C.Coronato
09-29-11, 4:06 pm
Big Mike has some valid points as those are from his personal experiences. I know as i diet down, i still squat and DL weekly, and my waist continues to come down. Like Mike said, it is your genetic make up as well. Try both ways.

Tiny1102
09-30-11, 12:18 pm
I am going to wear a belt and see if that makes a difference. I usually never wear a belt, so I will try. Thanks for the responses.

Solid Dreams
09-30-11, 12:55 pm
Here's probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to slim my waist down (I cut out weighted abs and things like that)

But when you wear the belt, where do you put it? Right above the hip bones? Or lower/higher? Because when I try to put it right above my hips (where I assume it's supposed to go) no matter how tight I put it it rides up!

Tiny1102
10-10-11, 10:34 am
Here's probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to slim my waist down (I cut out weighted abs and things like that)

But when you wear the belt, where do you put it? Right above the hip bones? Or lower/higher? Because when I try to put it right above my hips (where I assume it's supposed to go) no matter how tight I put it it rides up!

It might be the type of belt your wearing.

GUNS
10-12-11, 3:28 am
Nice improvement Mike, But I don't agree 100% with that..
Simply because there are sooo many views on the belt keeping your waist tight, Evan NEVER wears a belt - squats five plates and dead lifts 500 but I've never seen his stomach look even a little distended on stage. Phil heath removed his belt to try and keep his waist tight in his prep for this years Olympia and we all know how that went down.

Than you have your story how you brought down your waist 4 inches with a belt, which is awesome.
I say just see what works for you, because there are so many guys with tight waists that squat and deadlift. I really do think stomach distention comes from too much food.

I'm not saying by any means that these exercises are the death of the small waist by any means. Those who are genetically gifted with a smaller waistline will have no problems doing these exercise. But speaking from personal experience having always been a thicker waisted guy the belt has worked for me and keeping my carb choice relatively gluten free.

And not to burst anyone's bubble or delve into a topic that isn't discussed on this board but the use of anabolic and androgenic steroids will cause the muscles of the stomach wall and lining to grow and therefore cause distention as well so before u go blaming food let's be Real for a second here

fuck yeahhh!!!!!! The truth!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!

Big Mike has some valid points as those are from his personal experiences. I know as i diet down, i still squat and DL weekly, and my waist continues to come down. Like Mike said, it is your genetic make up as well. Try both ways.

BTB, Everyone already said it, genetics. But I have read the same thing, wear a belt all the time to bring down the waist. I believe Ronnie may have been the one who I read it from. I am trying this right now. I broke my back and had surgery, which dropped my midsection 2 1/2 inches. So I thickened up alot in my midsection. We'll see how it goes.