PDA

View Full Version : This question is for the serious pullers

Tiny1102
09-30-11, 12:22 pm
What do you think helps more, reps or singles, when training heavy pulls? I personally like to rep heavy benches. I think it makes me much stronger for the singles. So, do you recommend singles or reps for training for the big show?

TigerAce01
09-30-11, 12:33 pm
When training for a meet, it all comes down to preparation for your event. It doesn't matter what single you get today, it simply matters on the day of your meet. So, with that, I never really do singles unless they are scheduled sub max singles, or a scheduled peak day.

For deadlifts, I like working up to a heavy double.
For bench, I like to keep the reps 3-5.
For squats, a heavy triple works best.

-Ace

Tiny1102
09-30-11, 4:14 pm
Just asking about pulling. I like to feel the weight in my hands when I bench. Right now I feel like I need to do more work holding the weight when I pull.

Polk17
09-30-11, 8:54 pm
Just asking about pulling. I like to feel the weight in my hands when I bench. Right now I feel like I need to do more work holding the weight when I pull.

I am training for my first meet... I am a very serious Puller, as it is by far my best lift, I am going to be going or a 600Pull @ 220... And I am a 5/3/1 guy, so there are definitely some reps going on down here...

I like reps, especially when you aren't an absolute master when it co mes to form... IMO you need reps to master your form, and create hypertrophy... Again this is just IMO, I really like the quote "singles to test strength, reps to build" and since you are looking to build strength I would go with reps... I completely understand that you need to learn how to fight and strain with heavy weight (Singles), but I think you strain just as much w/ that last rep of the set...

One thing about Pullin' is a lot of ppl don't like to pull for over 5 reps, but that's just pussy shit IMO, I Pull up to 12 Reps, and heavy...

BryanSmash!
10-01-11, 11:54 am
What do you think helps more, reps or singles, when training heavy pulls? I personally like to rep heavy benches. I think it makes me much stronger for the singles. So, do you recommend singles or reps for training for the big show?

I generally pull with nothing but singles when training for a meet, but if I train reps its usually 3 or less, resetting each time.

BigChrisF
10-02-11, 2:35 am
I've found that training lower reps has helped my deadlift the most. I get some reps in on warm-ups as a I pyramid up in weight, but most of the heavy stuff is in the 1-3 rep range, especially if I am working in my suit. For that I usually do singles or successive singles. Most of suit work is about setting up right, so everything after the first one to me is useless. Also, if grip is a concern, hold all your reps at the top for a couple seconds.

I've also done a 5x5 deadlift after squatting and feel that it really increased my work capacity and made me very comfortable pulling sub maximal weights, but didn't have as good of effect as lower reps.

Polk17
10-02-11, 11:14 am
I've found that training lower reps has helped my deadlift the most. I get some reps in on warm-ups as a I pyramid up in weight, but most of the heavy stuff is in the 1-3 rep range, especially if I am working in my suit. For that I usually do singles or successive singles. Most of suit work is about setting up right, so everything after the first one to me is useless. Also, if grip is a concern, hold all your reps at the top for a couple seconds.

I've also done a 5x5 deadlift after squatting and feel that it really increased my work capacity and made me very comfortable pulling sub maximal weights, but didn't have as good of effect as lower reps.

I definitely think throwing a suit into the mix changes the rep scheme significantly...

LegendKillerJosh
10-02-11, 5:40 pm
I love singles since I like to just rip the weight off the ground, lock it out, and drop it. I don't like the negative part of deads. However, for adding strength, I like to cycle singles and reps year round. I get burned out doing singles all the time. Plus, I've got to talk with a lot of the best powerlifters around and was suprised to hear a lot of them say they gain strength from doing high volume work. I also like reps for deads. For squats I need to go heavy all the time because taking a break from singles makes the weights feel heavier. Deads are different for me in that respect.

Tiny1102
10-03-11, 3:13 pm
I love singles since I like to just rip the weight off the ground, lock it out, and drop it. I don't like the negative part of deads. However, for adding strength, I like to cycle singles and reps year round. I get burned out doing singles all the time. Plus, I've got to talk with a lot of the best powerlifters around and was suprised to hear a lot of them say they gain strength from doing high volume work. I also like reps for deads. For squats I need to go heavy all the time because taking a break from singles makes the weights feel heavier. Deads are different for me in that respect.

Thanks for the feedback. Also, I like the singles, because it saves my hands.

Tiny1102
10-03-11, 3:15 pm
I definitely think throwing a suit into the mix changes the rep scheme significantly...

Explain why the suit changes the scheme. I watched Andy Bolton rep 800 before. If the weight didn't fall off. He would have done much more.

Polk17
10-03-11, 7:27 pm
Explain why the suit changes the scheme. I watched Andy Bolton rep 800 before. If the weight didn't fall off. He would have done much more.

Without ever being in a suit, I would think that the suit would put you in a position that could be dangerous... Because you are much tighter, plus I would guess it would get very unconfortable... But that is just my guess, without ever being in a suit, it just seems like so much goes to just getting into position, that it would be difficult to hold proper form over more than 2-3 reps...

That is just my opinion, and I could easily be wrong....

BigChrisF
10-03-11, 9:30 pm

The unique method of getting to the bar that has worked best for me in my conventional suit doesn't allow me to do consecutive reps without screwing up technique. I have to set the bar down, stand up and get another breath and start over.

In my sumo suit, I can do reps just fine.

J Wong
10-03-11, 10:32 pm
I am not a good deadlifter, but for me, triples and doubles build my deadlift up the best. Singles are only for my test days/days I hit my opener before the meet. Deadlifts 5 reps or more don't build my 1RM much, I believe that sets of 5 deadlifting get you better at 5RMs, but does not necessarily increase your 1RM much.

Tiny1102
10-04-11, 12:49 pm
The unique method of getting to the bar that has worked best for me in my conventional suit doesn't allow me to do consecutive reps without screwing up technique. I have to set the bar down, stand up and get another breath and start over.

In my sumo suit, I can do reps just fine.

Right now I am training raw, but i did put on a belt for the first time. I did not like it so far. It felt like the belt was pinching my spine. I will try again next week, but I am also going to put on a suit.