PDA

View Full Version : Compound Exercises for Triceps

ruiner_zer0
10-03-11, 5:22 am
I've been doing these two exercises for my Triceps:

-Close-Grip Bench Press
-Dips

My question is, is there any other effective compound exercises for triceps cos It's been three weeks n I can't get any more than 50 kilo for 6 or 8 reps max for Close-Grip Bench Press. I was thinking of doing "Decline Close-Grip Press" instead of Flat Bench. Do you think it's effective?! or is there any other exercises I can do instead.

I wanted to do Skullcrusher or other variation of skullcrusher but again it's an isolation movement. Any thought please?!

pushin weight
10-03-11, 6:02 am
CGB and dips are great but i wouldnt leave out the iso moves, skulls and one arm dumbell extensions are two of my staples but there are others of course, i also utilize some high rep work on iso tri movements.Personally i beat my tris like my calves and its the only way i was able to bring out the horseshoe look.Start with big heavy moves on the compound and then blast into some high rep iso moves, then go eat ...lol

Solid Dreams
10-03-11, 7:06 am
I don't know why you guys have this mindset that isolation exercises are "bad". Just do what's needed to hit the muscle, man, don't worry about whether it's compound or not.

pushin weight
10-03-11, 8:50 am
I don't know why you guys have this mindset that isolation exercises are "bad". Just do what's needed to hit the muscle, man, don't worry about whether it's compound or not.

x10

PORTERHOUSE
10-03-11, 9:50 am
CGB and dips are great but i wouldnt leave out the iso moves, skulls and one arm dumbell extensions are two of my staples but there are others of course, i also utilize some high rep work on iso tri movements.Personally i beat my tris like my calves and its the only way i was able to bring out the horseshoe look.Start with big heavy moves on the compound and then blast into some high rep iso moves, then go eat ...lol

exactly... good stuff here... don't fear isolation, ESPECIALLY but not limited to the smaller muscle groups.

And don't forget about pushdowns... cgbp or weighted dips/skulls/pushdowns... horseshoe

BigAnt
10-03-11, 11:47 am
Close grops, dips, skull crushers, push downs etc...do what you feel....we all react a bit different to certain exercises, skull crushers super setted with close grips blow my arms up, but for the other guy, it might not work...

I also like push downs with a slightly bent bar, a modified v-bar...

TruePower
10-03-11, 1:34 pm
I found that military presses worked for me whenever I was training my triceps. But I was kinda like you, where I looked at my tri's and thought they were my weakest part of my arm so I did a lot of isolation movements for the tri's and actually built them up quite nicely. So now I feel that my arms are quite more proportioned.

~Kelton

Aggression
10-03-11, 2:36 pm
Close Grip Bench Press, Skull Crushers, Seated Dumbbell Extensions [single or double handed], Weighted Dips, Pushdowns .. anything works, my man.

ruiner_zer0
10-03-11, 3:29 pm
Thanks for tips, I'll try isolation exercises to see how it goes. The reason I'm worried a bit is on "Chest, Shoulders & Triceps" day, I can feel soreness in my chest n shoulders but triceps the day after.

h 3 L L b 0 y
10-03-11, 3:56 pm
Do you do dips with added weight?

T o m m Y
10-03-11, 4:06 pm
Throw some floor presses and board presses in there bro.

ruiner_zer0
10-03-11, 4:19 pm
Do you do dips with added weight?

Dips works fine, only problem is the Close-Grip Press which I can add anymore weight

ruiner_zer0
10-03-11, 4:19 pm

Actually that's a great idea, but there isn't enough range of motion plates hit the ground before I get even slightly closer to my chest

Solid Dreams
10-03-11, 4:32 pm
Do you have a power rack available? Set up your bench in there and put it so that you can do floor presses that way.

I like doing super heavy tricep push downs, then immediately supersetting with light rope pull aparts, I found that hits my tris a lot harder than anything else I've tried.

ruiner_zer0
10-03-11, 5:08 pm
Do you have a power rack available? Set up your bench in there and put it so that you can do floor presses that way.

I like doing super heavy tricep push downs, then immediately supersetting with light rope pull aparts, I found that hits my tris a lot harder than anything else I've tried.

I heard doing burn out set more than 25 reps is actually burns the muscle instead

Back To Basics
10-03-11, 5:20 pm
I heard doing burn out set more than 25 reps is actually burns the muscle instead

What the fu......

Where did you hear that hahaha?
It's a load of garbage by the way.

Carrnage
10-03-11, 6:25 pm
I've been doing these two exercises for my Triceps:

-Close-Grip Bench Press
-Dips

My question is, is there any other effective compound exercises for triceps cos It's been three weeks n I can't get any more than 50 kilo for 6 or 8 reps max for Close-Grip Bench Press. I was thinking of doing "Decline Close-Grip Press" instead of Flat Bench. Do you think it's effective?! or is there any other exercises I can do instead.

I wanted to do Skullcrusher or other variation of skullcrusher but again it's an isolation movement. Any thought please?!

Do not ever ditch a compound movement, fix your technique, make it work better, keep the elbows in and close to the body, slow the negative portion of the lift down (this is where hypertrophy responds!), do not just go through the motion. And decline close grip bench press is the same as a flat bench, only difference is it would shorten up the range of motion and possibly take your shoulders out of the movement slightly.

Its just a matter of how you think, do we think what your asking is effective? I dont think it would matter what we think, the only thing that matters is what you think.

Dips and Close Grip Bench Press are the 2 best tricep builders, learn to master those movements, learn to keep tension on the triceps through the entire set, do not allow them to "relax", I see alot of kids go through 8 reps, they get tired and rest the bar on the top portion of the lift for a few seconds then they continue banging out reps, do not do that. Keep constant tension on the muscle.

If i train my triceps on a seperate day from chest or shoulders, I do something like this just in case you are wondering the great Carrnage does. :)

Triceps- (warm up elbows with a few sets of light rope pushdowns, few sets of light pulldowns to make sure my arms/whole upper body is ready, very very important)

Close Grip Bench Press (3 warm up sets of 15-20 reps) 1 set to failure+negative reps at the end with a spotter+partials aswell to take the lateral head to true muscular failure (i alternate this exercise with weighted dips)

Skullcrushers 5 working sets to failure, 10-15 reps, no extreme failure techniques like heavy negatives at the end or partials or rest pausing, just pure blood volume (30-45 sec rest periods) (either overhead dumbbells or ez-bar lying)

Rope Pushdowns 3 working sets to failure 20-40 reps, no extreme failure techniques, just volume, your triceps should already be fully pumped after the close grip bench presses, all we are doing here is maximizing the pump, stretching the fascia

Hope this helps!

Carrnage
10-03-11, 6:27 pm

Becarefull what you read, becarefull who tells you advice, make sure whoever gives you advice they can back up their statement, dont just believe them because they are big. Same with research, just because you might of read it in a magazine, make sure it has some kind of study to back it up, and most importantly you experiment with it to see if it works or doesnt work for you.

Carrnage
10-03-11, 6:30 pm
Actually that's a great idea, but there isn't enough range of motion plates hit the ground before I get even slightly closer to my chest

To hit the triceps to its potential and keep tension on the triceps, you WILL have to shorten up the range of motion, dont go all the way down or even near your chest, we are working your triceps, not your chest, dont worry about how your form looks in the mirror, go by how it feels!

Carrnage
10-03-11, 6:31 pm
I found that military presses worked for me whenever I was training my triceps. But I was kinda like you, where I looked at my tri's and thought they were my weakest part of my arm so I did a lot of isolation movements for the tri's and actually built them up quite nicely. So now I feel that my arms are quite more proportioned.

~Kelton

You feel military presses worked for your triceps? Well thats because instead of doing what you were suppose to be doing (keep tension on the shoulders), you kept tension on the triceps. You bad boy! lol

ruiner_zer0
10-03-11, 7:09 pm
Do not ever ditch a compound movement, fix your technique, make it work better, keep the elbows in and close to the body, slow the negative portion of the lift down (this is where hypertrophy responds!), do not just go through the motion. And decline close grip bench press is the same as a flat bench, only difference is it would shorten up the range of motion and possibly take your shoulders out of the movement slightly.

Its just a matter of how you think, do we think what your asking is effective? I dont think it would matter what we think, the only thing that matters is what you think.

Dips and Close Grip Bench Press are the 2 best tricep builders, learn to master those movements, learn to keep tension on the triceps through the entire set, do not allow them to "relax", I see alot of kids go through 8 reps, they get tired and rest the bar on the top portion of the lift for a few seconds then they continue banging out reps, do not do that. Keep constant tension on the muscle.

If i train my triceps on a seperate day from chest or shoulders, I do something like this just in case you are wondering the great Carrnage does. :)

Triceps- (warm up elbows with a few sets of light rope pushdowns, few sets of light pulldowns to make sure my arms/whole upper body is ready, very very important)

Close Grip Bench Press (3 warm up sets of 15-20 reps) 1 set to failure+negative reps at the end with a spotter+partials aswell to take the lateral head to true muscular failure (i alternate this exercise with weighted dips)

Skullcrushers 5 working sets to failure, 10-15 reps, no extreme failure techniques like heavy negatives at the end or partials or rest pausing, just pure blood volume (30-45 sec rest periods) (either overhead dumbbells or ez-bar lying)

Rope Pushdowns 3 working sets to failure 20-40 reps, no extreme failure techniques, just volume, your triceps should already be fully pumped after the close grip bench presses, all we are doing here is maximizing the pump, stretching the fascia

Hope this helps!

Honestly, that's what I do. I won't sacrifice the form just so I can increase the weights. My triceps are slightly sore the day after the workout but not like my chest. Sometimes I do partial n forced reps depends on my mood, but I found partial more effective, my triceps get so hot n I can't handle the bar anymore. That's why I use Smith-Machine, otherwise my face n my chest would look like a smashed potato right now or I would be writing this message from hell (where I belong).

About the dips, I believe in past 6 months I was hitting the chest doing Dips instead of triceps. Since I fixed that I can feel all the tension on my triceps while I'm doing it. I believe form is the most important element to success n growth. I read on of your article here about keeping muscle under constant tension leads to serious growth n muscle don't see the weights they understand pressure and tension, I implemented in my exercises n result is phenomenal.

I keep the log to see how much I lifted in my previous session I try to beat the weights or the reps. What worked for me best is: First I try to get 6 reps with the new amount of weight, in my next session I won't increase the weight I try to increase the reps to 8 or more, sometimes I just reach 7, so next session I try again. When I started bodybuilding it was easier I could easily increase the weight every week but now it takes more time to do that.

About the having a single day for Triceps sounds awesome, Love to try that. It's like giving those triceps extra love for growth n blasting them with compound and isolation exercises. I might include this in my rotation, one week I give extra love to Triceps, Chest and Back. these are the area I want to improve till April 2012 (before I start cutting Phase.

Thanks

Sinister_TES
10-04-11, 8:16 pm
reverse grip benches on the smith are my favourit compound movement for my tris. Also skull crushers (flat or incline) with 3 second negatives work great, make sure your arms are behind your head and dont lock out to keep constant tension on the muscle.

Henious
10-05-11, 9:24 am

Thisss ^ I'd say give this a try, lift heavy on your compounds do a couple iso movements and to finish up the tris do one FST set and then one "Past failure set" at the end. if your not aware of what fst is this is copyed from the website

FST-7: It stands for Fascial Stretch Training and the seven refers to 7 sets performed usually as the final exercise of a target bodypart. Basically you train that bodypart on any given day heavy as you normally would keeping the rep range between 8-12, but the last exercise you perform the seven sets to finish off that particular muscle, with minimal rest in between to get the best pump possible. The example in the Pro Creator article in April 2008 issue is a workout for the biceps.

Alternate DB curls-3-4 Sets x 8-12 Reps
Machine preacher curls-3 Sets x 8-12 Reps
E-Z Bar curls-7 Sets x 8-12(30-45 seconds between sets while sipping water
to read more about FST-7 http://www.fst-7.com/fst7/what-is-fst-7.html

Now 1 "Past failure" set after that. if un aware of what this is basically pick a weight on any exercise that you can only do about 6-8 reps on. Do the set put your weights down rest 10 seconds rep the same weight out again for another set. Do this until your unable to preform another rep with the weight.

This combo was recommended to me by a friend and I really enjoy it, give it a shot if youd like and tell and me whatcha think.

Torque757
10-11-11, 11:46 pm

Isolations are not "bad".
The mindset that they are necessary is bad.
Many lifters implement them to the extent they become detrimental to their goals

GUNS
10-12-11, 3:17 am
These have added really good size and strength to my tri's.

Close grops, dips, skull crushers, push downs etc...do what you feel....we all react a bit different to certain exercises, skull crushers super setted with close grips blow my arms up, but for the other guy, it might not work...

I also like push downs with a slightly bent bar, a modified v-bar... Love the v-bar myself BigAnt. Like you said, you got to find out what works for you. And a must is to mix it up.

To hit the triceps to its potential and keep tension on the triceps, you WILL have to shorten up the range of motion, dont go all the way down or even near your chest, we are working your triceps, not your chest, dont worry about how your form looks in the mirror, go by how it feels!

As Carrnage said, don't come close to your chest at all, and try CG floor presses as well. If that don't suit you, make some board press boards 1-5 boards, and do CGBP with them. Lookup TricepHell.

I always have used a Pushdown, a pushout and a pushup. You need to be pushing your tri's in all 3 positions. One down( a v-bar pushdown for ex), a pushout( a CGBP or Skulls) and a pushup( a OH DB extension or OH cable extension). And like already said, don't worry about keeping your elbows tucked in as close to your body as possible. If it don't feel natural, don't force it, you will injure yourself. But don't flail your elbows way out and get your delts involved either.