PDA

View Full Version : Another deadlift question

Tiny1102
10-04-11, 12:55 pm
I put a belt on last night. I did not like it. It felt like it was pinching my spine. I don't think it was on too tight, but really not sure. I will try my suit next week. Should I try first without the belt or start working more with the belt? Even in my suit?

Polk17
10-04-11, 1:39 pm
I put a belt on last night. I did not like it. It felt like it was pinching my spine. I don't think it was on too tight, but really not sure. I will try my suit next week. Should I try first without the belt or start working more with the belt? Even in my suit?

1. Where were you wearing your belt, low @ your hips, or higher?

2. This is just me personally, I wouldn't ever train without my belt, especially Pullin, I had all kinds of problems with my back, and when I broke down and purchased a belt, I haven't had any problems since then (knock on wood) and have increased my from about 440, to close to 600 in under a year...

pushin weight
10-04-11, 3:25 pm
1. Where were you wearing your belt, low @ your hips, or higher?

2. This is just me personally, I wouldn't ever train without my belt, especially Pullin, I had all kinds of problems with my back, and when I broke down and purchased a belt, I haven't had any problems since then (knock on wood) and have increased my from about 440, to close to 600 in under a year...

Back problems from pulling is often an indicator of some type of breakdown in your form , having said that i only use a belt for my last two heaviest sets.

BigChrisF
10-04-11, 5:00 pm
The belt, like any other piece of equipment, needs to be used in order to get the most out of it. A lot of people get the impression, like with shirts and suits, that you just put the belt on and that's all there is to it. Being very familiar with how I want to wear my belt and how to use it, I don't usually put it on until about 500 lbs when deadlifting. Although on occasion I will pull in the low 6's without it.

I wear my belt differently depending on what I'm doing. Different positions for the different lifts and tightnesses. To illustrate, I wear my belt on the 6th hole for raw pulling, 4th for equipped pulling, 5th for raw and single ply squatting and so on.

For raw deadlifting, I like to place the belt around me so that the belt is about the middle of my bellybutton and then I pull the front down low so the belt is at an angle. That's what feels best for me and keeps the belt out of the way when getting in position.

I would suggest wearing your belt on your lighter sets until you find how you like to wear it and become accustomed to pushing your abdominals out against the belt.

machineman
10-04-11, 5:45 pm
I agree with everything Chris said on this one. Excatly how I do it.

Tiny1102
10-05-11, 2:00 pm
The belt, like any other piece of equipment, needs to be used in order to get the most out of it. A lot of people get the impression, like with shirts and suits, that you just put the belt on and that's all there is to it. Being very familiar with how I want to wear my belt and how to use it, I don't usually put it on until about 500 lbs when deadlifting. Although on occasion I will pull in the low 6's without it.

I wear my belt differently depending on what I'm doing. Different positions for the different lifts and tightnesses. To illustrate, I wear my belt on the 6th hole for raw pulling, 4th for equipped pulling, 5th for raw and single ply squatting and so on.

For raw deadlifting, I like to place the belt around me so that the belt is about the middle of my bellybutton and then I pull the front down low so the belt is at an angle. That's what feels best for me and keeps the belt out of the way when getting in position.

I would suggest wearing your belt on your lighter sets until you find how you like to wear it and become accustomed to pushing your abdominals out against the belt.

That sounds good. As for your position or hole placement. That was. because you were putting equipment on. The more the equipment you add. The more you had to open your belt.

Tiny1102
10-05-11, 2:03 pm
Back problems from pulling is often an indicator of some type of breakdown in your form , having said that i only use a belt for my last two heaviest sets.

I have big back issues, but I was not having any until I put on a belt. I pulled 606 raw in contest and tried 675 in the gym. I just recently put the belt on. The next day after training. My spine just felt bruised.

Polk17
10-05-11, 2:19 pm

Part of my back problem was from Pulling Conventional... When I switched to Sumo it has been a big change... My Conventional form is really bad, Sumo is much, much better...

Tiny1102
10-05-11, 2:31 pm
Part of my back problem was from Pulling Conventional... When I switched to Sumo it has been a big change... My Conventional form is really bad, Sumo is much, much better...

Funny. I started sumo and changed to conventional.

unclejason
10-05-11, 2:38 pm
Man, I have bad lower back issues and have to be extremely careful. I can't squat at all anymore; anything heavy in my shoulders compressing my spine isn't happening. But I've just recently been able to implement deadlifts back into my routine. I'm not going heavy at all (like 225 for 3 sets of 10-12) but I'm hoping to gradually work back up there (I was never super strong on these).

I'll have to try the sumo style though; I've always done conventional.

Polk17
10-05-11, 2:43 pm
Funny. I started sumo and changed to conventional.

You have different leverages than I do, I would imagine... I'm 6'3 225 w/ very long arms...

Man, I have bad lower back issues and have to be extremely careful. I can't squat at all anymore; anything heavy in my shoulders compressing my spine isn't happening. But I've just recently been able to implement deadlifts back into my routine. I'm not going heavy at all (like 225 for 3 sets of 10-12) but I'm hoping to gradually work back up there (I was never super strong on these).

IMO Sumo puts more emphasis on your Hips, Hamstrings, & Glutes, and less on the Low Back... Easy selling point for me...

unclejason
10-05-11, 2:47 pm
IMO Sumo puts more emphasis on your Hips, Hamstrings, & Glutes, and less on the Low Back... Easy selling point for me...

I'm definitely going to give it a shot tomorrow (back day is tomorrow!). I'm 5'10" and about 225 lbs, arms are medium I guess...not short, not long.

BigChrisF
10-05-11, 3:17 pm
That sounds good. As for your position or hole placement. That was. because you were putting equipment on. The more the equipment you add. The more you had to open your belt.

Not entirely. I was only referring to my single-ply equipment which doesn't add a lot of thickness. It is because the front of the suit doesn't allow my abdomen as much expansion under pressure, so I loosen the belt to compensate. I don't loosen it for raw to single-ply squat.

Tiny1102
10-05-11, 4:06 pm
Not entirely. I was only referring to my single-ply equipment which doesn't add a lot of thickness. It is because the front of the suit doesn't allow my abdomen as much expansion under pressure, so I loosen the belt to compensate. I don't loosen it for raw to single-ply squat.

Hey Chris, I hear that most lifters do not want to wear their belt very tight when they pull. Do wear your's very tight?

BigChrisF
10-05-11, 5:14 pm
Hey Chris, I hear that most lifters do not want to wear their belt very tight when they pull. Do wear your's very tight?

I wear it pretty tight for raw deadlift but not tight for equipped deadlift. For the raw I wear it pretty low so it doesn't interfere with bending over. I know some have complained about not being able to bend over properly when they wear it tight, but they were wearing their belt around their bellybutton and higher. When I angle it down as I described above, it stays out of my way.

Tiny1102
10-05-11, 6:18 pm
I wear it pretty tight for raw deadlift but not tight for equipped deadlift. For the raw I wear it pretty low so it doesn't interfere with bending over. I know some have complained about not being able to bend over properly when they wear it tight, but they were wearing their belt around their bellybutton and higher. When I angle it down as I described above, it stays out of my way.

Thanks Chris. Maybe besides doing some big benching. I might just do some big pulls next year in the Cage.

Bruiser
10-05-11, 6:25 pm

I'm with ya Jason. No squatting for me and I'm going to start deadlifting on Friday. That'll be the first time in 4 years since my back injury and botched surgery. I'm really looking forward to it. Gonna start REAL low weight and just work on form for a while.

unclejason
10-05-11, 8:29 pm
I'm with ya Jason. No squatting for me and I'm going to start deadlifting on Friday. That'll be the first time in 4 years since my back injury and botched surgery. I'm really looking forward to it. Gonna start REAL low weight and just work on form for a while.

Yeah man, I've written some articles and posted them on my website about training around lower back pain (and injuries in general). But man the deads, even at light weight, are feeling pretty good and I'm not experiencing any back pain...if anything, it seems to be getting a little better. For me the key has been moderate (well, really light) weight and moderate intensity as well.

Tiny1102
10-06-11, 9:51 am

No squats for me. If I do, they are with a safety bar. I can't get my hands back to hold the bar anymore. If I try to force them. It screws my back up bad.

Polk17
10-06-11, 9:57 am
No squats for me. If I do, they are with a safety bar. I can't get my hands back to hold the bar anymore. If I try to force them. It screws my back up bad.

Tiny what is your story, did you do full meets & then shift to just Benching or what?

Tiny1102
10-06-11, 10:03 am
Tiny what is your story, did you do full meets & then shift to just Benching or what?

Yes, I started doing full meets when I first got into powerlifting, but I was in 3 car accidents and hit from behind in all three. That was the end of the squat. I actually tried to make a come back about 5 years ago. I lifted in a usapl meet, but I injured my back again in the meet. No more. I started pulling to build my back more after I injured my shoulder. So far so good. I hope to pull in the 7's soon.

Polk17
10-06-11, 10:49 am
Yes, I started doing full meets when I first got into powerlifting, but I was in 3 car accidents and hit from behind in all three. That was the end of the squat. I actually tried to make a come back about 5 years ago. I lifted in a usapl meet, but I injured my back again in the meet. No more. I started pulling to build my back more after I injured my shoulder. So far so good. I hope to pull in the 7's soon.

I c, I figured it was an injury deal... So is your goal now to do Push/Pull meets in the future if you get the Pull right? Do you still work your legs out?

Tiny1102
10-06-11, 11:44 am
I c, I figured it was an injury deal... So is your goal now to do Push/Pull meets in the future if you get the Pull right? Do you still work your legs out?

I have always trained my legs, leg press, extentions, curls, etc.. Just no squatting. As for the push and pull. I don't want to go all out on the pull. I really don't want another back injury. I just want to pull 700, for now. One step at a time. My main focus is still on the bench.